PDA

View Full Version : Alex Brink who are you?

76Texan
06-17-2008, 05:38 PM
I've been reading up on Brink, and I was also able to watch his performance against the Washington Huskies. Even it's only one game, I like him. In fact, I like him a lot. He's very well suited for the WCO. A great pick in the 7th!

As Kubiak seems to be very intrigued by the guy, so am I.
Kubiak says he wants to work with Brink.

"Texans head coach Gary Kubiak and general manager Rick Smith feel that Brink has all the tools to develop into a solid NFL quarterback. A few days ago, they discussed the possibility of picking Brink if the draft played out right."

"Rick and I had this converesation the other day and I said, 'If you're so fortunate to move back and we do pick up a couple of extra picks, if this young man sticks around 'til late in the draft, boy, this would be a great opportunity, a great try,'" Kubiak said. "I mean, he played in a great conference...This guy knows what it is to be chased by very good people. He'll get rid of the ball, so (with) all that stuff he's way ahead from that standpoint and he's very, very smart.

"I'd just like to try. (He's) a great young man, and i'm looking forward to working with him."

Your thoughts??

gary
06-17-2008, 05:52 PM
I'd have to see some video of him playing.

SOLIS
06-17-2008, 06:36 PM
I did a post draft article (http://www.battleredblog.com/2008/5/29/540975/alex-brink-on-the-edge) centered around Brink's time at WSU.

He's got a certain tenacity that kept him coming, despite being part of a team that was very mediocre at best. Statistically, he ended his career at WSU as the most prolific passer - amassing 10,514 yds passing and 71 TDs. His stats also have him ranked among the best in Pac-10 history.

At first glance the kid fits the mold of an overachiever, but a closer look reveals an athletic kid who is very intelligent. What he lacks in arm strength, he makes up for in his decision making and footwork.

He was well respected for his work on the field, in the classroom, and around the community. A high character guy who could excel in that backup role, whether it be 2nd string or practice squad QB.

One WSU blogspot writer wrote me and gave me a link to his the winning drive in the 2007 Apple Cup (Washington vs Washington St.). The site is blocked from work, but I'll link to it when I get back to the house. That game he threw for 399 yards and five touchdowns - with the final TD being the go ahead score with less than a minute left on the clock. Amazing amazing performace. It was one hell of a way to go out.

While I've been on record as saying that I would have liked to have seen the Texans take a flyer on a WR or DE in the seventh - I'm not mad at the Brink pick up. I think he's a solid player that can fill a vital role for this franchise.

76Texan
06-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Gary, watch these for now.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=washington+state+cougars+alex +brink&search_type=&aq=f

Solis, I read your blog this morning. Good stuffs.

The thing about his arm strength is overblown.
He doesn't have the cannon of an arm, but in the WCO where we don't go deep that often, a 45 yd strike as you can see from one of these videos is plenty good enough.

Sideline
06-17-2008, 06:43 PM
I am just in the process now of getting some film of Brink to take a look at, I had not really previously concerned myself with him until the release of Gray as I couldn't see him getting more than a practice squad place however with Gray's release it does seem that he is living up our hopes.

Really looking forward to watching some film on the guy.

SOLIS
06-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Solis, I read your blog this morning. Good stuffs.

The thing about his arm strength is overblown.
He doesn't have the cannon of an arm, but in the WCO where we don't go deep that often, a 45 yd strike as you can see from one of these videos is plenty good enough.

Right - especially for what we brought him hear to do... Kubiak has taken a shine to the kid, and by all indications, sees him being a part of this franchise. In a practice scenario, I can see Brink as the type of player smart enough to emulate a Peyton-like audible, while having the skills to move around in the pocket like a VY - depending on who the Texans are preparing for that week.

76Texan
06-17-2008, 06:54 PM
I am just in the process now of getting some film of Brink to take a look at, I had not really previously concerned myself with him until the release of Gray as I couldn't see him getting more than a practice squad place however with Gray's release it does seem that he is living up our hopes.

Really looking forward to watching some film on the guy.I mentioned your Houston visit on tenyardtorrents! :kingkong:

76Texan
06-17-2008, 06:59 PM
Right - especially for what we brought him hear to do... Kubiak has taken a shine to the kid, and by all indications, sees him being a part of this franchise. In a practice scenario, I can see Brink as the type of player smart enough to emulate a Peyton-like audible, while having the skills to move around in the pocket like a VY - depending on who the Texans are preparing for that week.

LOL, yeah I saw him kinda emulating Peyton a bit.
I also read that he also check out Brady's game film, and another QB whose name escapes me at the moment, maybe VY???

gary
06-18-2008, 04:04 PM
He doesn't have a very deep pass but he does throw the ball on target pretty much.

76Texan
06-18-2008, 06:57 PM
I think he's a perfect fit for our system.

He can throw very well on the run, whether on the fly or stopping on the dime.
Whether on a roll out or a bootleg.
He can throw across his body on the run and still has a zip on the ball.
He has a super quick release.
A dump pass to the right flat takes a fraction less than 1 sec.
A hitch pass to the left flat takes right around 1 sec.
He can throw a smooth screen pass while backpedaling, great touch.
And he will drill that ball.

Against defenses that sent (and will send) tons of players to the NFL.

He also has good footwork.
His mobility & quick delivery helps him to avoid sacks (22) in a Sack-Happy Pac-10 Conference that averaged around 35 sacks (per 12-game season).

A couple seasons of grooming and if he doesn't play for us, we can trade him for a good return, IMO.

OzzO
06-26-2008, 04:29 PM
As of today, he's (officially) a Texan. Not much noted, but...

The Texans are planning to keep three quarterbacks on their 53-man roster this season. Brink will compete with Shane Boyd to become the team's third quarterback. He will also be eligible for the practice squad.

the chronic (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5858258.html)

DiehardChris
06-26-2008, 04:57 PM
I'll believe the "three QBs on the active roster" thing when I see it, but it's good that his contract is done. Hopefully the others will fall in line soon.

thunderkyss
06-26-2008, 06:27 PM
I don't watch college football. I don't know much about the teams Brink played. So I don't know about the competition level. But just watching those clips, his mechanics look spot on, his accuracy, I think is better than avg, on the move, I'd say his accuracy is darn near uncanny.

But he's a midget.

If that was/is his biggest knock coming out of college, we might have something.

But I wouldn't hold my breath.

ATXtexanfan
06-26-2008, 06:48 PM
I'll believe the "three QBs on the active roster" thing when I see it, but it's good that his contract is done. Hopefully the others will fall in line soon.

true, why haven't we signed our #1, we cried for a LT for years and he's not signed. what's going on?

edo783
06-26-2008, 06:54 PM
true, why haven't we signed our #1, we cried for a LT for years and he's not signed. what's going on?

No big deal. The upper level guys wait until closer to camp and they wait for the guys above them to set the pay brackets.

Insideop
06-26-2008, 06:58 PM
I don't watch college football. I don't know much about the teams Brink played. So I don't know about the competition level. But just watching those clips, his mechanics look spot on, his accuracy, I think is better than avg, on the move, I'd say his accuracy is darn near uncanny.

But he's a midget.

If that was/is his biggest knock coming out of college, we might have something.

But I wouldn't hold my breath.

He's listed as 6'2" on the Texans roster. Quinn, who was cut, was listed as 6'3" and Boyd is listed as 6'1." I know it isn't an ideal height for a QB but I can't classify him as a "midget" either.

danger6
06-26-2008, 07:28 PM
Denver had a back up QB behind John Elway for something like 9 years running the zone blocking scheme. How tall was that guy?

thunderkyss
06-26-2008, 07:34 PM
He's listed as 6'2" on the Texans roster. Quinn, who was cut, was listed as 6'3" and Boyd is listed as 6'1." I know it isn't an ideal height for a QB but I can't classify him as a "midget" either.

honestly, that's the problem I see with Schaub & Sage. Their height. Sage compensates weel(as does Brink) by being able to get out of the pocket, buy time, and still throw accurately.

I know it's not a big deal, just saying they aren't proto-typical.

ledzeppelin229
06-26-2008, 08:42 PM
honestly, that's the problem I see with Schaub & Sage. Their height. Sage compensates weel(as does Brink) by being able to get out of the pocket, buy time, and still throw accurately.

Problem with Schaub? I thought he was about 6'5"?

SOLIS
06-26-2008, 08:59 PM

Sage is listed at 6'4" and Matt is listed at 6'5"... those two are about as prototypical as you get.

Brink (6'2") and Boyd (6'1") on the other hand are not prototypical.

beerlover
06-26-2008, 09:47 PM
inch here or there no big deal I think he's in the ballpark. Roger Staubach, 6-3 197, John Elway, 6-3 215, Steve Young 6-2 205, Bob Griese, 6-1 190, Fran Tarkenton, 6-0 190.

bottom line if he makes it or not he will compete & at the very least hold the clip board ala Gary Kubiak :)

The Pencil Neck
06-26-2008, 10:29 PM

Huh? Wha?

Dude. Sanity check. Sage and Schaub are great, height-wise.

danger6
06-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Gary Kubiak, 6'0", backup QB for 9 years, might think Brink is tall enough.

Texan_Bill
06-30-2008, 01:38 PM

NFL.com lists Matt Schaub as 6'-5"; 237lbs.
NFL.com lists Rosenfels as 6'-2"; 224lbs.
NFL.com lists Brink as 6'-2"; 212lbs. (note: ESPN lists him as 6'-3"; 207lbs.)

Size Comparisons:

NFL.com - Joe Montana 6'-2"; 205
NFL.com - John Elway 6'-3"; 215