PDA

View Full Version : Scout.com prediction Texans 6-10

Wolf
06-17-2008, 04:25 PM
Houston Texans (6-10)

Houston is the Tampa Bay Rays of the NFL. No matter how much better or more promising they get, they always have to contend with a couple of great teams at the top of the division. It does not appear to be 2008, but the Texans could be nearing a 2008 Rays-like breakthrough. The Texans average 21.3 points per game (#23) and allow 24.6 points (#20) against a schedule featuring eight games against 2007 playoff teams.

Absolute Record: 6-10

Most Significant Newcomer: Antwaun Molden, CB - This is a very tough debate. The answer should come from the group of Molden, RB Chris Brown, RB Steve Slaton, CB Jacque Reeves and OL Duane Brown. Reeves and Chris Brown have experience starting recently, but Chris Brown is too injury-prone and Reeves will not help the team create turnovers. Molden seems like the best bet. He will not likely start, but he fits a need and be able to make some plays in the defensive backfield. Expect around 25 tackles and two interceptions.

Biggest Strength: Young Cornerstones of the Defense - Mario Williams, Amobi Okoye and DeMeco Ryans may be a better way to phrase that.

Most Exploitable Weakness: Pass Defense - When Williams is not standing above the quarterback after one of 16 sacks, that quarterback may be picking a part a secondary that gives up too many big plays and lacks the ability to force interceptions.

Possible Fantasy Sleeper: Steve Slaton, RB - Ahman Green, Chris Brown and even Slaton will likely be hurt at some point this season. As the ultra-productive college product who has not yet played in the NFL, Steve Slaton is the most intriguing of the group. The sim has all three backs in the same vicinity with Slaton gaining 632 total yards and scoring five touchdowns. 626 of those yards are on the ground. Don't expect many catches in his career.

Closest Game: Tennessee (Week 15) - With the AFC Wild Card picture wide open, this looks like a game that could keep the winner's playoff hopes alive.

Fantasy Notables: Matt Schaub (21) 2,623 yards, 18 TDs, 10 INTs; Chris Brown (43) 735 total yards, 5 TDs; Ahman Green (47) 751 total yards, 5 TDs; Andre Johnson (7) 81 receptions, 1,192 yards, 8 TDs; Owen Daniels (11) 50 receptions, 548 yards, 4 TDs; Kris Brown (25) 36/36 XPs, 24/30 FGs

http://ten.scout.com/a.z?s=120&p=2&c=762012#texans

Texanmike02
06-17-2008, 04:32 PM
http://ten.scout.com/a.z?s=120&p=2&c=762012#texans

You know.... its hard to argue. I mean you can argue with your heart but.... honestly the DBs might be a real liability. I think 8-8 is more realistic, but to disagree with the record I'd have to see the game by game breakdown. I think its hard to see us going 6-10... but I'd say its more likely that we win less than 8 games than it is that we win more than 10.

Mike

TEXANRED
06-17-2008, 04:50 PM
Oh well.

Lets be realistic, until we start winning and stop being the Arizona Cardinals of the AFC we will continue to get predictions like this.

If I remember correctly, scout.com gave the Texan draft an F and gave the Titan draft a B- so you have to take there analysis with a grain of salt.

Texan_Bill
06-17-2008, 04:50 PM
The one exception that I take about his assessment is the overall record. I think the Texans did very well to get to 8-8 with all of the injuries suffered last season which included 9 games missed by AJ. I think this team will have more talent and DEPTH than we've ever had. With that said, I'd don't see this team regressing to 6-10 - so I agree with Mike here. 8-8 again is probably the worst case scenario.

76Texan
06-17-2008, 04:53 PM
30% 8 wins
40% 9 wins
30% 10 wins

:fans:

Thorn
06-17-2008, 04:54 PM
The only way we go 6-10 is to have even more injuries to starters than we did last year.

I still think another 8-8 or 9-7 season is a safe bet for the Texans. But you just never know. We very well could be 6-10 or 10-6 depending on about a billion things.

Texans_Chick
06-17-2008, 05:01 PM
You know.... its hard to argue. I mean you can argue with your heart but.... honestly the DBs might be a real liability. I think 8-8 is more realistic, but to disagree with the record I'd have to see the game by game breakdown. I think its hard to see us going 6-10... but I'd say its more likely that we win less than 8 games than it is that we win more than 10.

Mike

This is based on game simulation software.

It doesn't take into account a lot of things, such as Alex Gibbs and whatnot.

There's been also statistical stuff that shows that past doesn't do a good job in predicting future records--it's over at the Pro-Football-Reference blog somewhere.

76Texan
06-17-2008, 05:04 PM
It says we go 3-13 and win the last 3 games to achieve a 6 win season.
That ain't happening!

Mr PC
06-17-2008, 05:24 PM
It doesnt seem logical to think the Texans regressed this offseason. The addition of Gibbs, plus a nice draft and some decent free agent pick ups should count as improvements. The Texans didnt lose any good players, and most importantly, we dont have 17 players on IR.

Id definitely be willing to bet over if the line is 6 wins for the Texans

Spike
06-17-2008, 05:25 PM
At first glance, this seems a little harsh, but we still have enough unknowns to go 6-10...while being extremely competitive on all of our games and losing some close ones. That being said, I think we are just as likely to go 10-6 as 6-10 and most likely to end up with an 8-8 average like last year.

So much really depends on how we handle our division. I don't think we can do what we did last year in the division and end over .500.

Nawzer
06-17-2008, 05:28 PM
I quit predicting how the NFL season will play out a while ago. I learned my lesson the hard way I guess. It's a fun thing to do and I guess with predictions like this you gain attention. Anyway, anything could happen in this season. I can see us making the playoffs with some luck or we could be picking in the top 10 in the draft next year. But I think given the offseason we had and the progress the team made last year I think it's logical at least to think that we can win 8 to 9 games this year.

Thorn
06-17-2008, 05:30 PM
We went 8-8 last year with a fairly abysmal running game, having to pass a lot and the defenses knowing we had to pass, but we still ended up with a top ten passing offense. Our running game should improve this year. Last year our collective safeties and corner backs were not that great, but should improve (as a group) slightly this year. Our D line and LBs should be better.

The catch is, we have a tougher schedule this year than last, so if the players get injured like last year, itís gonna be tough. I still say we could be a much improved team and still go 8-8.

However, if some of these "good" teams on our schedule have a off year, we could move up. Hopefully none of the "bad" teams on our schedule have a year of remarkable improvement.

disaacks3
06-17-2008, 05:41 PM
The one exception that I take about his assessment is the overall record. I think the Texans did very well to get to 8-8 with all of the injuries suffered last season which included 9 games missed by AJ. I think this team will have more talent and DEPTH than we've ever had. With that said, I'd don't see this team regressing to 6-10 - so I agree with Mike here. 8-8 again is probably the worst case scenario. Yep, the analysis itself seems fairly sound, I just think the record can be higher, even given the same criteria.

dalemurphy
06-17-2008, 05:42 PM
I don't know what our record will be- how could I? Injuries, confidence, intangibles, etc... all play such a large role in how a season progresses.

What I do know is that we have a pretty good team and have a chance to have an excellent season. I couldn't cherry pick more than a handful of rosters that I'd prefer to the one we've assembled.

brakos82
06-17-2008, 05:48 PM
I'm saying 9-7 until I see us play Ten and Jax on the road.

ATXtexanfan
06-17-2008, 07:00 PM
scout.com sucks

nunusguy
06-17-2008, 07:21 PM
Lets be honest here, last years record was really more like 7-9 than 8-8
if the Jags come into Reliant full-bore with their starters in the season finale.
OK splilt the difference and we're 7.5-8.5. The point is a 6 win season is not really much different than last year. Are we better than last year ? Maybe but
we've probably also got a tougher schedule. 6 wins vs. 8 or 9 wins is basically about the injury situation (yours and your oppenents), and a couple
key calls by the zebs.

ChampionTexan
06-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Oh well.

Lets be realistic, until we start winning and stop being the Arizona Cardinals of the AFC we will continue to get predictions like this.

If I remember correctly, scout.com gave the Texan draft an F and gave the Titan draft a B- so you have to take there analysis with a grain of salt.

In reality, if we were the Arizona Cardinals of the AFC, everybody would be picking us to go 10-6 (and we actually would go 6-10).

6 1/2 months from now if we're 10-6, nobody's going to even remember this prediction. To be completely honest, if we're 6-10, nobody's going to remember this prediction then either.

GuerillaBlack
06-17-2008, 07:29 PM
if the Jags come into Reliant full-bore with their starters in the season finale.
OK splilt the difference and we're 7.5-8.5. The point is a 6 win season is not really much different than last year. Are we better than last year ? Maybe but
we've probably also got a tougher schedule. 6 wins vs. 8 or 9 wins is basically about the injury situation (yours and your oppenents), and a couple
key calls by the zebs.

Were we not playing backups? Why, I think we were.

Texecutioner
06-17-2008, 07:53 PM

Mike

Very good objective opinion Texanmike. I agree with you. Health will be a BIG issue as it is with any team, but the Texans don't have depth really at an position but QB, if the starters go down and you know that some will go down. If Bennett goes down, then the Texans are really going to be in a bad position.

I think the Texans will go 6-10 at the worst and 9-7 at best.

With that being said, the Texans have better players and all but it is still hard to say that they are a team on the rise for BIG things. Until we have a QB, where I can say WOW, he is THE GUY then I dunno. I am really mad about that extension Rick Smith got. He has made some good picks and a few that I don't agree with either. I think that Mcnair should have waited AT LEAST one more year to see what the Texans do this year to have a more accurate idea of where this team is going.

The position I feel the best about on the Texans right now is the WR position and they only have one STUD. Andre Davis played pretty well last year, and I really think if him and Johnson both are healthy this year he can be a guy that could put up 700-900 yards. On the other hand he could end up being a pretender. I think he'll do pretty well. Plus, we still have no idea how Jacoby Jones will play. He looked great in pre season, and then looked like a typical non special rookie before and after his early injury. Maybe Jones will become a great player, but right now he hasn't shown anything to storngly speculate that other than that pre season performance but I have been watching football for to long to put any relevance on pre season.

TEXANRED
06-17-2008, 09:35 PM
In reality, if we were the Arizona Cardinals of the AFC, everybody would be picking us to go 10-6 (and we actually would go 6-10).

6 1/2 months from now if we're 10-6, nobody's going to even remember this prediction. To be completely honest, if we're 6-10, nobody's going to remember this prediction then either.

Are you kidding? 6 1/2 months from now if we are 10-6 Wolf would bring this thread back to life.:kingkong:

Wolf
06-17-2008, 10:38 PM
Are you kidding? 6 1/2 months from now if we are 10-6 Wolf would bring this thread back to life.:kingkong:

who says 6 1/2 might be year and a half :whip: :mshadows:

Spike
06-17-2008, 10:48 PM
Very good objective opinion Texanmike. I agree with you. Health will be a BIG issue as it is with any team, but the Texans don't have depth really at an position but QB, if the starters go down and you know that some will go down. If Bennett goes down, then the Texans are really going to be in a bad position.

With that being said, the Texans have better players and all but it is still hard to say that they are a team on the rise for BIG things. Until we have a QB, where I can say WOW, he is THE GUY then I dunno. I am really mad about that extension Rick Smith got. He has made some good picks and a few that I don't agree with either. I think that Mcnair should have waited AT LEAST one more year to see what the Texans do this year to have a more accurate idea of where this team is going.

The position I feel the best about on the Texans right now is the WR position and they only have one STUD. Andre Davis played pretty well last year, and I really think if him and Johnson both are healthy this year he can be a guy that could put up 700-900 yards. On the other hand he could end up being a pretender. I think he'll do pretty well. Plus, we still have no idea how Jacoby Jones will play. He looked great in pre season, and then looked like a typical non special rookie before and after his early injury. Maybe Jones will become a great player, but right now he hasn't shown anything to storngly speculate that other than that pre season performance but I have been watching football for to long to put any relevance on pre season.

Not to get off topic - but I couldn't disagree more with the assessment on Rick Smith. This guy inherited a team coming off a two win season and in two years has completely revamped the roster, salvaged the salary cap situation, and put together a team that went 8-8 last season despite several injuries, some to key players. Every team in the NFL can look back on a player drafted or transaction made and second guess, but IMO it is hard to argue with the collective body of work.

DBCooper
06-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Pure Crap.

michaelm
06-17-2008, 10:58 PM

Well, thats a Bold statement, if ever I saw one...

threetoedpete
06-17-2008, 11:08 PM
key calls by the zebs.

I'd say personnel wise, we're much better off. The fact is we were very unlucky with the schedule this year, Two young guys holding the corner on defense. and as talented as they are, as high a ceiling as they have , they are still rookies. We still don't know if we have a LB who can run with an elite TE. Don't know how the o-line will shake out. Which Rb can string together seven healthy games....just a lot of bitter ifs for those first five games.

Same as last year. They go four & one out of the gate all things are possible.
But expecting a bunch of young guys to go on the road and play like hardened veterans, is pretty big reach. Possible, not probable.

Hardcore Texan
06-17-2008, 11:18 PM
So where did scout.com have the New York Giants finishing this past season before Training Camp?

BTW, the Giants went 8-8 the year before last and come back this past year and defeat the might cowpokes and the almighty perfect Patriots. The precedent has been set. Just line up on Sunday and let's see what happens.

With less injuries than last year, no way we don't finish at least one game to the plus.

Texanmike02
06-17-2008, 11:49 PM
OK. To put it simply... there's no way to accurately predict the total wins. I mean you may get lucky... but if you predict say all 32 teams... and all of their games against one another... you'll be lucky to get 5 right..... But you can make statements about the team. I happen to think they don't give our offense enough credit.... and they don't account for the fact that we're looking for 2 new OLBs....... but generally... the things that will have the biggest impact are QB play and secondary play. If both go above expectations... we're going to have a great year... maybe even surpass my 10 win cap.. if they both have a terrible year.. we may be picking in the top 10 again..... most likely one will surpass my expecations and one will fall short and I think we'll wind up .500 +/- 1.

Mike

The Pencil Neck
06-18-2008, 12:28 AM
OK. To put it simply... there's no way to accurately predict the total wins. I mean you may get lucky... but if you predict say all 32 teams... and all of their games against one another... you'll be lucky to get 5 right..... But you can make statements about the team.

I agree.

Last year, I made 1 prediction on the Texans just on how good I felt the team was and I predicted 8-8. I got lucky.

Now, I also made a second prediction. In the second prediction, which I don't think I printed anywhere online, I went through and tried to predict on a game by game basis before the season started how I thought all the teams were going to do.

I've been in some pick-em leagues now for about 10 years and I normally do better than the "experts" especially over the course of the entire season. But that's picking on a weekly basis and knowing about injuries and trends. Predicting the entire season before the season, I was totally and completely off. I picked 3 teams' records correctly: Seahawks, Cardinals, and Chargers. There were a lot of teams I missed by 1.

But there's just no way that anyone can really predict the season. There are too many variables. ESPECIALLY with a game simulator.

I think we're going to be a much better team this year, but I just don't know if that's going to be reflected in the record. I think we're going to win some by bigger margins and lose some by narrower margins. But I'm expecting a 9-7 season at this point.

I'm just hoping I don't see another meltdown like that Atlanta through San Diego stretch.

ocd
06-18-2008, 02:54 AM
Whoever agrees with this clown assessment just doesn't get it.

We gave the game away to the Titans at the end. That would have put us at 9 and 7.

And the Jags? Come on! If you know football you know that they are a fluke. And please don't give me how solid their defense or their offense is garbage. We just cut their third string QB that had his "magic day" against us.

We'll go 4 and 2 (if not 5 and 1) in the division and 10 and 6 in the 2008 season. We've learned what it takes to win and we've seen the commitment from the front office and coaching staff.

The thing that makes me smile the most about reading that CRAP article is knowing that one ALEX GIBBS read it as well. Whew! He's gonna be pissed.

beerlover
06-18-2008, 04:13 AM
I'm trying to understand scout.coms projection they provide good coverage its their analysis that seems to be shortsighted.

Look the biggest thing is to keep Schaub healthy & upright Rick Smith acomplished this by taking a LT in the first round, signed off by Alex Gibbs, & also addressed a even bigger weakness @ Center with Chris Meyers. coaching the talent already on hand up via Gibbs will also help improve offensive time of possesion, scoring, yardage etc that translates into more wins not less.

Scout.com needs to flip it to read 10-6 :)

TEXANRED
06-18-2008, 06:40 AM
who says 6 1/2 might be year and a half :whip: :mshadows:

This is true. Wolf is an appropriate name. There is no amount of time that goes by that makes any post or thread safe as long as Wolf patrols the board. :spit:

BattleRedToro
06-18-2008, 07:21 AM
Has anyone done a game by game analysis of the upcoming Texan's schedule on texanstalk.com?

That might be fun to do.

GuerillaBlack
06-18-2008, 07:29 AM
Has anyone done a game by game analysis of the upcoming Texan's schedule on texanstalk.com?

That might be fun to do.

I made a predictions thread, and many people did it there:

http://texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49257

gg no re
06-18-2008, 07:31 AM
If I remember correctly, scout.com gave the Texan draft an F and gave the Titan draft a B- so you have to take there analysis with a grain of salt.And so we have it here, folks

We are caring about the opinions of a site that had its opinions invalidated greatly

nunusguy
06-18-2008, 07:36 AM
Were we not playing backups? Why, I think we were.
Except for Sage (who really is atleast our #1b and not our #2 QB), I think we went mostly with starters for the whole game ?

GuerillaBlack
06-18-2008, 08:02 AM
Except for Sage (who really is atleast our #1b and not our #2 QB), I think we went mostly with starters for the whole game ?
No.

I'm sure we didn't. I think they played like a quarter or half. Don't remember.

Maddict5
06-18-2008, 08:23 AM

from the front page of this site:

Donít believe the media hype. BOTH teams had several players out today.
Iím not one to be a homer, and thatís not going to change today - but I have to address the media blitz today that was pounding us in the face with a hammer labeled ďThe Jaguars are resting their best players.Ē Let me cut right to the chase. If you want to see who the Jaguars were playing without - go to ANY football site in existence and there will be an article about it, or watch highlights of the game and listen to the announcers regurgitate the information over and over. Here are the players the Texans were playing without:

Starting QB Matt Schaub
Starting RB Ahman Green
Starting C Steve McKinney
Starting OG Fred Weary
Starting DE Anthony Weaver
Starting SS Glenn Earl
Starting CB Dunta Robinson
Starting KR Jerome Mathis

So it would be nice if the media, who have suddenly made darlings out of the Jaguars, could just shut their mouths about that garbage. The bottom line is - the Texans beat the Jaguars handily, and BOTH TEAMS had a lot of key players not in the starting lineup. Now, to say the game was meaningless to the Jaguars - thatís a fair point that canít be argued. Some would say that itís more important to have momentum going into a playoff game than it is to rest your players - hogwash. The Jags would have played far better had they started their full compliment of players, and if the game had been important to them. Thatís not the point I have issue with. But this noise about how the Jaguars were somehow at a huge competitive disadvantage because they didnít play all their best guys is a load of bull.

Rant over. Okay, letís get back to the actual contest.

Specnatz
06-18-2008, 08:24 AM

When you bold everything, it reminds me the folks who have to capslock everything, why is that? Oh and then when you do want to emphesize something and have it all caps it is not noticed for the most part.

If my understanding is correct, if Bob McNair would have waited a year to do this extention Rick Smith would have been a FA at the time or very close to it by months. You say he has had some good picks but also ones you do not like, I am curious to which of the 6th round picks is it you do not like? Which FA pickup is it that Rick Smith screwed up on? What guy off the scrap heap did he not find that has been at least somewhat productive, especially with all the injuries? Hell he found Maddoxx and Demps sitting at home not doing Diddly Poo and they have been very big contributers, Demps is even an upgrade over what we had.

Texanmike02
06-18-2008, 09:08 AM

That might be fun to do.

I'll put out there a little more indepth analysis as we get closer to the season.

Mike

nunusguy
06-18-2008, 09:38 AM
"Here are the players the Texans were playing without:
Starting QB Matt Schaub
Starting RB Ahman Green
Starting OG Fred Weary
Starting SS Glenn Earl
Starting KR Jerome Mathis "
This is from Maddict5's earlier post-link in this thread.
But wern't most of these players already out for the season (IR) weeks before
the season finale with the Jags ?

Hervoyel
06-18-2008, 09:54 AM
"Here are the players the Texans were playing without:
Starting QB Matt Schaub
Starting RB Ahman Green
Starting OG Fred Weary
Starting SS Glenn Earl
Starting KR Jerome Mathis "
This is from Maddict5's earlier post-link in this thread.
But wern't most of these players already out for the season (IR) weeks before
the season finale with the Jags ?

True for the most part but I'm kind of split on the topic. On one hand I can't deny that the 2007 Texans would have been a much better team with all those guys healthy and on the field all year long. From a "technically speaking" point of view we were starting a lot of backups too in that game so I feel like the guy in Animal House telling his frat brother "Forget it, he's rolling" when he has the gall to notice that Bluto just said the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

On the other hand many (if not most) of those backups were coming off of weeks of starting in place of the first string guys who were out for the season. If your backup has been playing for 4-5 weeks then you're going to get better than just-off-the-bench play from him. You have a good point.

infantrycak
06-18-2008, 10:05 AM
There's been also statistical stuff that shows that past doesn't do a good job in predicting future records--it's over at the Pro-Football-Reference blog somewhere.

I have looked at it the past 3-4 years and approximately two thirds of the league's record changes by 3 or more games each season. These pre-season predictions based on last year's play are silly. On NFLN the other day they said over the past few years half of playoff teams have not made the playoffs the next year.

The catch is, we have a tougher schedule this year than last

Funny, I have heard that every season since 2002. If this keeps going I guess we will eventually have a schedule of playing the SB winner 16 times in one season.

Texecutioner
06-18-2008, 11:26 AM
When you bold everything, it reminds me the folks who have to capslock everything, why is that? Oh and then when you do want to emphesize something and have it all caps it is not noticed for the most part.

If my understanding is correct, if Bob McNair would have waited a year to do this extention Rick Smith would have been a FA at the time or very close to it by months. You say he has had some good picks but also ones you do not like, I am curious to which of the 6th round picks is it you do not like? Which FA pickup is it that Rick Smith screwed up on? What guy off the scrap heap did he not find that has been at least somewhat productive, especially with all the injuries? Hell he found Maddoxx and Demps sitting at home not doing Diddly Poo and they have been very big contributers, Demps is even an upgrade over what we had.

Wo there partner, Bold letters shouldn't offend you just as your non bold letters don't offend me. Calm down a bit.

Your acting like I am bashing Rick Smith because I don't agree with him getting an extension. The fact of the matter is that Smith took over a team that was 2-14 and easily could have gone 1-15 if not for that Frisco game where there was a funny kick at the end. What did you expect the team to do after that, go 0-16? They had no where to go but up. Of course their record was going to get better, and it wasn't any dramatic increase either. They went 6-10. The next year they went 8-8. It was a decent increase in record. I'd say it was what was expected. It was certainly not an over achievement by any means. At this point Smith has done a decent job, but nothing crediting him for an extension this early. Sorry, but I put expectations a litte bit higher before I committ to one guy like that especially after how long we held on to Casserly, Capers, and Palmer. We all saw how that one went. Two years is to early to give any GM an extension unless he's taken a nothing team to an AFC championship or a SB. Three years maybe, but it is far to early to completely believe that Smith is the guy that will move and pick the right chess pieces around to bring a SB. I'm not saying he can't, but I'm not buying that he can either until I see more from him. And please stop with the whole idea that Smith would be leaving the team right away because there is no consensus around the league at all that Smith is this highly coveted GM that every team is dying to get their hands on. Not at all. He's respected, but he does have some reputation yet of one of the top GM's. I don't think the Texans would have a problem re-signing him at all. That is if the team continues to improve. Most likely they will, but again that is no guarantee. The Texans team that went 7-9 and everyone thought they were on their way up, and personally I wasn't sold on Carr, I hated the offense, and I couldn't stand Casserly. I wasn't that surprised when they went backwards at the time. So, I'm not so quick to put complete trust in a guy after two years. Again, there hasn't been any over achievements so there is no reason why I should. I hope he does become a great GM for a long time, but hope is all I can put in him right now. Hopefully that hope will turn into complete trust and confidence, but I need to see more longevity of success before I'm willing to agree that he needed an extension this early. Hopefully it was the right decision.

HOU-TEX
06-18-2008, 11:31 AM
[Wo there partner, Bold letters shouldn't offend you just as your non bold letters don't offend me. Calm down a bit.

Your acting like I am bashing Rick Smith because I don't agree with him getting an extension. The fact of the matter is that Smith took over a team that was 2-14 and easily could have gone 1-15 if not for that Frisco game where there was a funny kick at the end.

We lost the SF game. I suppose you mean we could've easily gone 3-13?

:jogger:

ChampionTexan
06-18-2008, 11:38 AM
Two years is to early to give any GM an extension unless he's taken a nothing team to an AFC championship or a SB. Three years maybe, but it is far to early to completely believe that Smith is the guy that will move and pick the right chess pieces around to bring a SB.

Three years maybe? You do realize that Smith's original contract was only for three years to begin with, and would have expired after the end of this season don't you?

infantrycak
06-18-2008, 11:41 AM
Wo there partner, Bold letters shouldn't offend you just as your non bold letters don't offend me. Calm down a bit.

It is an internet etiquette thing. Notice that nobody else uses all bold?

Three years maybe? You do realize that Smith's original contract was only for three years to begin with, and would have expired after the end of this season don't you?

Exactly

barrett
06-18-2008, 11:41 AM
...I think we're going to be a much better team this year, but I just don't know if that's going to be reflected in the record. I think we're going to win some by bigger margins and lose some by narrower margins. But I'm expecting a 9-7 season at this point.

I'm just hoping I don't see another meltdown like that Atlanta through San Diego stretch.

i think this is a big factor that will decide if we "live up to our potential." we're a very young team and finishing games and handling adversity are probably the two biggest improvements we can expect as our team matures. I think the results of said maturity will be exactly what you've stated. when we're winning we should be able to pour it on and when we're loosing we should be able to hang in there regardless. BUT I agree that another meltdown is my biggest fear as well. I feel like we are a pretty confident team right now. If we can keep that confidence then I would be shocked to have another slide like that.

It will be exciting/scary/nerve-wracking to see how we come out of the gates. If we play well in those first 5 games it could be the beginning of a HUGE turn for this team. If we don't play well and we find ourselves in a hole right of the bat (which is very possible it will be our maturity or lack thereof that determines how the remaining schedule pans out.

please football gods... no more performances like the Chargers game, or Browns game.

The Pencil Neck
06-18-2008, 11:51 AM

Personally, if someone posts in all bold or in all caps, or doesn't put in paragraph breaks in long posts, then I frequently won't bother to read their posts.

It's just bad netiquette.

In this case, I read the first line and then saw the block of text beneath and I just read the first line. I'm not going to bother to read the rest of it.

Texecutioner
06-18-2008, 11:53 AM

Right, so what is the problem? Where are you getting this idea that he'll go somewhere else and refuse to re-sign with the Texans if they were to offer him an extension then? Sorry, but there is not a strong consensus around the league that Rick Smith is one of the best GM's around. His name hardly ever is brought up in discussions of top GM's or successful ones for that matter. I don't think the Texans would have a problem re-signing him at all, and I don't think we would have that much competition either. We're stuck with him now, so I hope he does become a fantastic GM, but we'll have to wait and see.

Specnatz
06-18-2008, 11:54 AM
It is an internet etiquette thing. Notice that nobody else uses all bold?

:goodpost:

That is exactly what I was referring to. Plus when he puts something in all caps for it to stand out it does not.

Texecutioner
06-18-2008, 12:00 PM
Personally, if someone posts in all bold or in all caps, or doesn't put in paragraph breaks in long posts, then I frequently won't bother to read their posts.

It's just bad netiquette.

In this case, I read the first line and then saw the block of text beneath and I just read the first line. I'm not going to bother to read the rest of it.

Look, enough with stuff about Bold print. I'm not offending anyone, nor have I disrespected anyone in here. I have used it in several forums before and it has always been sort of like a Signature thing.

You're talking about etiquette here, but you don't even spell the word correctly. Now, I'm sure it was a typo but this is a sports forum and the nit picking really isn't necassary. I don't even mind the mis spells either, because I know what you meant, but I'm pointing out that just like that isn't a big deal neither should bold print be a big deal. It's no different than using a different font.

HOU-TEX
06-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Look, enough with stuff about Bold print. I'm not offending anyone, nor have I disrespected anyone in here. I have used it in several forums before and it has always been sort of like a Signature thing.

You're talking about etiquette here, but you don't even spell the word correctly. Now, I'm sure it was a typo but this is a sports forum and the nit picking really isn't necassary. I don't even mind the mis spells either, because I know what you meant, but I'm pointing out that just like that isn't a big deal neither should bold print be a big deal. It's no different than using a different font.

I assume PN meant to spell it that way. Internet etiquette

If you want your post read then I also suggest changing your "signature" LOL!

Polo
06-18-2008, 12:05 PM

Netiquette is etiquette for the net...:um:

By the way, your bold posts don't bother me....I'm kinda w/ you on this...
It's actually easier on the eyes...

The large blocks of texts AKA 600 word paragraphs....Thats another issue...

Hervoyel
06-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Without getting all "grammer nazi" about things it's important to keep in mind that most of the conventions we currently use in writing are there for a reason. It's easier (for most people) to read text that's properly formatted. Most of the rules of the written word are there to make it easier to absorb, not just to satisfy the whims of conformists everywhere.

My dad was terrible about typing in all caps, all the time. He did it because he had trouble seeing and it was easier for him to read it that way. I put up with it because my dad was old and I understood why he was doing it but I also explained to him why he caught so much crap when he posted to the "inter-webs". Bold text (much like caps) doesn't make things any easier for me to read and I have to confess that I don't read it in large blocks. That's just me. You keep posting however you want to post. I'm not going to tell you to do otherwise. I'm just saying that a percentage of people will not read what you write as a result.

Texecutioner
06-18-2008, 12:11 PM
I assume PN meant to spell it that way. Internet etiquette

If you want your post read then I also suggest changing your "signature" LOL!

I'm sure people will read the posts. They are certainly welcome to pass it on. That is their choice though.

Again, I'm not offending anyone or going "Nazi" about spelling and grammar either.

I just came in here to talk about Texans football. I'm a passionate fan, and I figured there might be a few in here. :texflag:

dalemurphy
06-18-2008, 12:15 PM

Your acting like I am bashing Rick Smith because I don't agree with him getting an extension. The fact of the matter is that Smith took over a team that was 2-14 and easily could have gone 1-15 if not for that Frisco game where there was a funny kick at the end. What did you expect the team to do after that, go 0-16? They had no where to go but up. Of course their record was going to get better, and it wasn't any dramatic increase either. They went 6-10. The next year they went 8-8. It was a decent increase in record. I'd say it was what was expected. It was certainly not an over achievement by any means. At this point Smith has done a decent job, but nothing crediting him for an extension this early. Sorry, but I put expectations a litte bit higher before I committ to one guy like that especially after how long we held on to Casserly, Capers, and Palmer. We all saw how that one went. Two years is to early to give any GM an extension unless he's taken a nothing team to an AFC championship or a SB. Three years maybe, but it is far to early to completely believe that Smith is the guy that will move and pick the right chess pieces around to bring a SB. I'm not saying he can't, but I'm not buying that he can either until I see more from him. And please stop with the whole idea that Smith would be leaving the team right away because there is no consensus around the league at all that Smith is this highly coveted GM that every team is dying to get their hands on. Not at all. He's respected, but he does have some reputation yet of one of the top GM's. I don't think the Texans would have a problem re-signing him at all. That is if the team continues to improve. Most likely they will, but again that is no guarantee. The Texans team that went 7-9 and everyone thought they were on their way up, and personally I wasn't sold on Carr, I hated the offense, and I couldn't stand Casserly. I wasn't that surprised when they went backwards at the time. So, I'm not so quick to put complete trust in a guy after two years. Again, there hasn't been any over achievements so there is no reason why I should. I hope he does become a great GM for a long time, but hope is all I can put in him right now. Hopefully that hope will turn into complete trust and confidence, but I need to see more longevity of success before I'm willing to agree that he needed an extension this early. Hopefully it was the right decision.

Let's see, there are two issues here:

1. Why the hell do you care if Bob McNair spends money to extend Rick Smith. He's not part of the cap nor is contract at a number that would prohibit Bob McNair from cutting him loose early. So, the only reason a fan would complain about Rick Smith getting an extension would be because he has determined the guy is doing a poor job and should be let go. Otherwise, if you're simply not sure, why wouldn't you want the owner to display confidence in him. Rick Smith, like Casserly, can still be fired at any time.

2. How clueless and/or cynical must one be to not see that Smith and Kubiak are doing a heck of a job and are obviously very good at what they're doing... not to mention, they're working together extremely well and have really focused the organization... To risk disrupting the inertia they've created doesn't make any sense.

Texecutioner
06-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Let's see, there are two issues here:

1. Why the hell do you care if Bob McNair spends money to extend Rick Smith. He's not part of the cap nor is contract at a number that would prohibit Bob McNair from cutting him loose early. So, the only reason a fan would complain about Rick Smith getting an extension would be because he has determined the guy is doing a poor job and should be let go. Otherwise, if you're simply not sure, why wouldn't you want the owner to display confidence in him. Rick Smith, like Casserly, can still be fired at any time.

2. How clueless and/or cynical must one be to not see that Smith and Kubiak are doing a heck of a job and are obviously very good at what they're doing... not to mention, they're working together extremely well and have really focused the organization... To risk disrupting the inertia they've created doesn't make any sense.

1. Your first arguement here isn't bad. If the Texans can cut him loose without a big penalty or something then I guess it doesn't make that much of a difference.

2. Kubiak has done the same thing. He has done a decent job. Nothing more and nothing less. He has done about as well as I would expect. He has not over achieved anything. He had a team that was 2-14. Of course the record was going to improve. Sorry, but I'm not sold on Kubiak either. I'm not saying he's a bad coach but I'm not willing to throw all of my chips in on the guy just yet.

Again the Texans were 7-9 and everyone thought they were about to break loose and then they went right down to 2-14. Not only was I not sold on Capers back then but I couldn't stand his game plan or him as a coach. Everyone told me I was crazy then, as well and swore that we were on our way to the promise land. Sorry, but I'm a realist and I'm not going to just proclaim the the Texans as being this break out team yet or that Kubiak is GOD. He has been here two years now and done a decent job, but nothing to throw confetti in the sky for. This will be his 3rd season as head coach where he has had a lot of say so in who the team drafts so I think after this year we'll all have a much stronger idea of what Kubiak can do as a head coach, but I'll wait and see before I buy into his whole philosophy and leadership. I am not going to automatically just assume he is the guy for years and years this early. I want to see more.

cuppacoffee
06-18-2008, 12:47 PM
The article is interesting to say the least.

Houston Texans (6-10)

"Houston is the Tampa Bay Rays of the NFL. No matter how much better or more promising they get, they always have to contend with a couple of great teams at the top of the division. It does not appear to be 2008, but the Texans could be nearing a 2008 Rays-like breakthrough. The Texans average 21.3 points per game (#23) and allow 24.6 points (#20) against a schedule featuring eight games against 2007 playoff teams.

Absolute Record: 6-10".

Then this:..:headhurts:

"Closest Game: Tennessee (Week 15) - With the AFC Wild Card picture wide open, this looks like a game that could keep the winner's playoff hopes alive."

Sounds like they covered their arsses just in case... :laughjump:

6-10 team in the playoffs...indeed.

Sports journalists?

:coffee:

Texan_Bill
06-18-2008, 01:07 PM

I guess to some people no Super Bowl appearances after two seasons = failure. :rolleyes: Or they fail to see the conditions in which Kubiak took this team over with the amount of Dead Money, and the constraints in which to work in against the salary cap hell, that we were headed towards.

1. Your first arguement here isn't bad. If the Texans can cut him loose without a big penalty or something then I guess it doesn't make that much of a difference.

2. Kubiak has done the same thing. He has done a decent job. Nothing more and nothing less. He has done about as well as I would expect. He has not over achieved anything. He had a team that was 2-14. Of course the record was going to improve. Sorry, but I'm not sold on Kubiak either. I'm not saying he's a bad coach but I'm not willing to throw all of my chips in on the guy just yet.

Again the Texans were 7-9 and everyone thought they were about to break loose and then they went right down to 2-14. Not only was I not sold on Capers back then but I couldn't stand his game plan or him as a coach. Everyone told me I was crazy then, as well and swore that we were on our way to the promise land. Sorry, but I'm a realist and I'm not going to just proclaim the the Texans as being this break out team yet or that Kubiak is GOD. He has been here two years now and done a decent job, but nothing to throw confetti in the sky for. This will be his 3rd season as head coach where he has had a lot of say so in who the team drafts so I think after this year we'll all have a much stronger idea of what Kubiak can do as a head coach, but I'll wait and see before I buy into his whole philosophy and leadership. I am not going to automatically just assume he is the guy for years and years this early. I want to see more.

>>>>>>Intentionally un-bolded<<<<<<<<

1. There is no question 'IF'.

2. "...2-14 Obviously the record was going to improve...?? You really have no idea of how bad of shape this franchise was left in after the C&C Factory departed - huh? Salary Cap issues, with a ton of dead money. Not much talent and certainly NO depth on the roster. In fact, the roster has been drastically overhauled since Smith and Kubiak took the reigns.

Again the Texans were 7-9 and everyone thought they were about to break loose and then they went right down to 2-14. While many people did buy into that, with a closer look you would have noticed signs of them imploding. Jamie Sharper made comments about leadership on and off the field (referencing coaching and I am sure HWSRN). The Cleveland game alone that year was enough to send up red flags up. We had Cleveland, here. They weren't that good at the time. The Texans had every reason to come out and win to go 8-8 and yet the team imploded and got destroyed..

As far as phrases "break out years", I think thats a bit cliche', overworked, old and boring. A competitive year and at least in the hunt for the play-offs would be the next stepping stone for me.. As far as claiming Kubiak as "GOD", I haven't seen anyone proclaim that, but I guess that was an over-dramatization for symbolic sake. People have stated their being pleased with the progress Kubiak and Smith have made in two seasons given the constraints mentioned before. Not to mention the fact that both guys are in their very first HC and GM positions ever.

Texecutioner
06-18-2008, 01:41 PM
I guess to some people no Super Bowl appearances after two seasons = failure. :rolleyes: Or they fail to see the conditions in which Kubiak took this team over with the amount of Dead Money, and the constraints in which to work in against the salary cap hell, that we were headed towards.

1. There is no question 'IF'.

2. "...2-14 Obviously the record was going to improve...?? You really have no idea of how bad of shape this franchise was left in after the C&C Factory departed - huh? Salary Cap issues, with a ton of dead money. Not much talent and certainly NO depth on the roster. In fact, the roster has been drastically overhauled since Smith and Kubiak took the reigns.

While many people did buy into that, with a closer look you would have noticed signs of them imploding. Jamie Sharper made comments about leadership on and off the field (referencing coaching and I am sure HWSRN). The Cleveland game alone that year was enough to send up red flags up. We had Cleveland, here. They weren't that good at the time. The Texans had every reason to come out and win to go 8-8 and yet the team imploded and got destroyed..

As far as phrases "break out years", I think thats a bit cliche', overworked, old and boring. A competitive year and at least in the hunt for the play-offs would be the next stepping stone for me.. As far as claiming Kubiak as "GOD", I haven't seen anyone proclaim that, but I guess that was an over-dramatization for symbolic sake. People have stated their being pleased with the progress Kubiak and Smith have made in two seasons given the constraints mentioned before. Not to mention the fact that both guys are in their very first HC and GM positions ever.

I don't know if you can't read or if you just choose to quote people out of context, but I never called anything failure or said expectations were SB bound. So don't try that pathetic arguement against me when I never said anything close to that.

Don't assume you know me or know what I know about the Texans position and where the franchise was headed. That was my point. I thought they were headed backwards instead of forward at the time, and many people like you called me crazy because I wasn't an optimist just for the sake of being an optimist because that's the team I root for. I'll still remain objective and make predictions with what I see and not just from my heart.

I haven't bashed Kubiak or Smith one time in here so before the next person slides in here acting like I'm bashing them simply for not putting all faith in god in a coach and GM that have been here only two years actually read the post and interpret what I said and stated. I said they both have done a decent job and there hasn't been any over achieving thus far to point out. They have improved to an average team at 8-8. Decent job.

The bottom line is that the Texans still have a lot of issues, and the scout.com put 6-10 as a prediction for a reason. Personally, I think it's a bit harsh but it is a possiblity that it could be correct. I'm thinking more 7-9 to 9-7 at best but it could go either way. I'm not blind to some of the holes this team has and the needs that are still out there.

Texan_Bill
06-18-2008, 02:11 PM
I don't know if you can't read or if you just choose to quote people out of context, but I never called anything failure or said expectations were SB bound. So don't try that pathetic arguement against me when I never said anything close to that.

Don't assume you know me or know what I know about the Texans position and where the franchise was headed. That was my point. I thought they were headed backwards instead of forward at the time, and many people like you called me crazy because I wasn't an optimist just for the sake of being an optimist because that's the team I root for. I'll still remain objective and make predictions with what I see and not just from my heart.

I haven't bashed Kubiak or Smith one time in here so before the next person slides in here acting like I'm bashing them simply for not putting all faith in god in a coach and GM that have been here only two years actually read the post and interpret what I said and stated. I said they both have done a decent job and there hasn't been any over achieving thus far to point out. They have improved to an average team at 8-8. Decent job.

The bottom line is that the Texans still have a lot of issues, and the scout.com put 6-10 as a prediction for a reason. Personally, I think it's a bit harsh but it is a possiblity that it could be correct. I'm thinking more 7-9 to 9-7 at best but it could go either way. I'm not blind to some of the holes this team has and the needs that are still out there.

Maybe I miss-read due to your insistence on bold type.. But then again, where did I mis-quote you? If you were talking about the first part of my previous post, that was quoted to another member...

Secondly, I over-dramatized what you were saying for exageration sake in the same way you had done in your previous post. So talk about the :potkettle:
I think we all get it now. You would like us to know that you are the ultimate pessimist. No worries. That's cool. I don't think there is one person here that is such a homer that they beleive the Texans are poised to go to the Super Bowl yet, because we ALL are smart enough to know that there are (as you put it) 'holes' to fill yet. Not the point, though. The point is that this rag predicted the Texans to regress based on what? Nothing. Just another hack spewing forth in the offseason. As someone mentioned in another thread; the NFL is up and down. I think he (Cak??) mentioned that approximately half the teams that make the playoffs one year miss out the next year. If this true (or close) than one could surmize that the Texans WON"T be facing 7 playoff teams this year. Point being this guy has nothing other than his own speculation to base his opinions on.

Finally;
Beleive me, I would never assume to know you or anyone like you who would disregard a mod's (and other respected members) suggestion of using a little post etiquette. I'm getting a sense that some of your posts will start getting a response of:

:cricket:

Specnatz
06-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Maybe I miss-read due to your insistence on bold type.. But then again, where did I mis-quote you? If you were talking about the first part of my previous post, that was quoted to another member...

Secondly, I over-dramatized what you were saying for exageration sake in the same way you had done in your previous post. So talk about the :potkettle:
I think we all get it now. You would like us to know that you are the ultimate pessimist. No worries. That's cool. I don't think there is one person here that is such a homer that they beleive the Texans are poised to go to the Super Bowl yet, because we ALL are smart enough to know that there are (as you put it) 'holes' to fill yet. Not the point, though. The point is that this rag predicted the Texans to regress based on what? Nothing. Just another hack spewing forth in the offseason. As someone mentioned in another thread; the NFL is up and down. I think he (Cak??) mentioned that approximately half the teams that make the playoffs one year miss out the next year. If this true (or close) than one could surmize that the Texans WON"T be facing 7 playoff teams this year. Point being this guy has nothing other than his own speculation to base his opinions on.

Finally;
Beleive me, I would never assume to know you or anyone like you who would disregard a mod's (and other respected members) suggestion of using a little post etiquette. I'm getting a sense that some of your posts will start getting a response of:

He may join JohnsonFan soon and be on my ignore list.

dalemurphy
06-18-2008, 02:22 PM
I'm thinking more 7-9 to 9-7 at best but it could go either way. I'm not blind to some of the holes this team has and the needs that are still out there.

What holes? Every hole on this team has been significantly addressed. Now, does that mean that Okam, CThompson, Bentley are going to collectively solve our poor run defense? NO... Is it very possible that those guys will? YES.

The same thing can be said at RB, CB, S, OT, OL in general, and DE.

What holes do you know about that will keep this team from winning ten games?

1. You know that CBrown, AGreen, CTaylor, Slaton will fail to improve the running game behind Alex Gibbs?

2. You know that Gibbs will be unable to improve the general OL play and that Duane Brown will not be a good LT?

3. You know that Schaub won't improve on a very promising first season starting at QB and/or he'll be unable to stay healthy?

4. You know that the addition of Okam and Colvin, along with the growth of players like Okoye, Mario, Bullman won't be enough to create a pass rush or stop the run?

5. You know that Zac Diles, Thompson, Bentley, Adibi won't improve the LB play?

6. You know that Dunta won't come back healthy. And, if he does, you know Reeves will be a bust, Molden will be a bust, Bennett won't improve, and nobody else will step up at CB?

7. You know that having Demps at safety for a full season won't matter, and that Brandon Harrison, Brandon Mitchell, D. Barber, G.Earl- among others are all going to fail to improve the safety position?

badboy
06-18-2008, 02:22 PM
Bold non bold, all caps or not (I have to document on some work projects in all caps and it screws me up on other projects when I forget). If you don't want to read then don't. Let's all lighten up a bit.

As for the scout eval, I'm ok with it and it could be exactly right, or not. We could go 10-6. IMO, we have strengthened the team under Smith & Kubes (I can't say which is more important and it does not matter). More importantly, the staff has removed players that were under performing and/or too costly.

I think team is definitely going in right direction and Ws are not the most important to me. When Astros were on a tear earlier this season, I just could not get into them. I want to see solid football and expect to do so this year. I do think Reeves will be playing to his strengths @ corner in this system and should see more opportunities for INTs.

barrett
06-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Kubiak is GOD.

Texan_Bill
06-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Kubiak is GOD.

nice.........

barrett
06-18-2008, 03:37 PM
but in my opinion Smith is even better. does anyone have a degree in religion that could possibly tell me what smith's title is if Kubiak is god?

dalemurphy
06-18-2008, 03:57 PM
but in my opinion Smith is even better. does anyone have a degree in religion that could possibly tell me what smith's title is if Kubiak is god?

It's the doctrine of the trinity. God is one but revealed in three persons.

Kubiak = Jesus
Smith = Holy Spirit
BMcNair = God, the Father

Kubiak walks among us and is our example of how to play football. Smith is the force that enables us to play football the way Kubiak shows us to. McNair is the creator and has orchestrated everything that has and will happen.

HOU-TEX
06-18-2008, 04:01 PM

Kubiak = Jesus
Smith = Holy Spirit

Kubiak walks among us and is our example of how to play football. Smith is the force that enables us to play football the way Kubiak shows us to. McNair is the creator and has orchestrated everything that has and will happen.

What about Gibbs? :)

Texan_Bill
06-18-2008, 04:02 PM
What about Gibbs? :)

Moses

Lucky
06-18-2008, 04:17 PM

Kubiak = Jesus
Smith = Holy Spirit
Keep it up and I'll move this thread to the religon forum. :whip:

So someone does a weenie computer simulation and everyone gets their panties in a wad? Well, I just ran a simulation of the 2008 NFL season on a Cray XT5 with my own proprietary software. The results?

The Texans go 19-0 (but do not make the cover of SI)

Matt Schaub finishes both the regular and postseason with a perfect passer rating (258.3. Last 100 are for style)

Mario Williams smashes Michael Strahan's sack record (Farve comes out of retirement to give Mario the record setter)

DeMeco leads the league in both solo and assisted tackles (and still has time to find a cure for cancer)

What? You have the audacity to question my computer simulation? I guess we'll just have to wait until football season to see who's right.

The Pencil Neck
06-18-2008, 04:24 PM

IIRC, in Buddhism, there are Gods and then there is Brahman which is the supreme cosmic spirit who has dreamt them. Or something like that.

Texecutioner
06-18-2008, 04:32 PM

Finally;

Dude, get over yourself. I haven't disrespected any mods in here. I've barely posted.

And how immature are you to keep talking about bold text? Let it go at some point. And stop with the whole etquette thing, because that is going so over board. You can post in blue, red, italic, or whatever you want as well. I won't have a heart attack over it, so let it go.

And until you act respectful yourself, and learn how to disagree without taking it personel and trying to bash me, don't expect me to go out of my way to please you. I have my opinions and you are certainly entitled to yours. Again, you don't jack about me so stop with your assumptions and name calling, or simply please do ignore my posts. I could care less about talking about the Texans with a blind homer who gets upset just because someone doesn't think the Texans are super bowl bound. I don't know you, but I do know that you, but so far you seem to have an ego problem.

Either respond with a civil post where you can disagree without malitious attacks, or please ignore the post. I don't mind disagreeing with people at all, and that is what a forum is for. To display different view points and opinions.

Texan_Bill
06-18-2008, 04:36 PM
Dude, get over yourself. I haven't disrespected any mods in here. I've barely posted.

And how immature are you to keep talking about bold text? Let it go at some point. And stop with the whole etquette thing, because that is going so over board. You can post in blue, red, italic, or whatever you want as well. I won't have a heart attack over it, so let it go.

And until you act respectful yourself, and learn how to disagree without taking it personel and trying to bash me, don't expect me to go out of my way to please you. I have my opinions and you are certainly entitled to yours. Again, you don't jack about me so stop with your assumptions and name calling, or simply please do ignore my posts. I could care less about talking about the Texans with a blind homer who gets upset just because someone doesn't think the Texans are super bowl bound. I don't know you, but I do know that you, but so far you seem to have an ego problem.

Either respond with a civil post where you can disagree without malitious attacks, or please ignore the post. I don't mind disagreeing with people at all, and that is what a forum is for. To display different view points and opinions.

:yawn: :sleep: *hits ignore button*

Texan_Bill
06-18-2008, 04:36 PM
IIRC, in Buddhism, there are Gods and then there is Brahman which is the supreme cosmic spirit who has dreamt them. Or something like that.

Good question for GoldenSilence.

Texecutioner
06-18-2008, 04:40 PM
What holes? Every hole on this team has been significantly addressed. Now, does that mean that Okam, CThompson, Bentley are going to collectively solve our poor run defense? NO... Is it very possible that those guys will? YES.

The same thing can be said at RB, CB, S, OT, OL in general, and DE.

What holes do you know about that will keep this team from winning ten games?

1. You know that CBrown, AGreen, CTaylor, Slaton will fail to improve the running game behind Alex Gibbs?

2. You know that Gibbs will be unable to improve the general OL play and that Duane Brown will not be a good LT?

3. You know that Schaub won't improve on a very promising first season starting at QB and/or he'll be unable to stay healthy?

4. You know that the addition of Okam and Colvin, along with the growth of players like Okoye, Mario, Bullman won't be enough to create a pass rush or stop the run?

5. You know that Zac Diles, Thompson, Bentley, Adibi won't improve the LB play?

6. You know that Dunta won't come back healthy. And, if he does, you know Reeves will be a bust, Molden will be a bust, Bennett won't improve, and nobody else will step up at CB?

7. You know that having Demps at safety for a full season won't matter, and that Brandon Harrison, Brandon Mitchell, D. Barber, G.Earl- among others are all going to fail to improve the safety position?

I'm not even going to respond to this junk. Until you learn to read a post and respond without making things up, then we'll talk. Until then, please don't even bother. I'd rather talk to civil fans who want to debate in a civil manner without trying to start a cat fight.

HOU-TEX
06-18-2008, 04:47 PM
I'm not even going to respond to this junk. Until you learn to read a post and respond without making things up, then we'll talk. Until then, please don't even bother. I'd rather talk to civil fans who want to debate in a civil manner without trying to start a cat fight.

Dude, shutup!

Texecutioner
06-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Dude, shutup!

Okay, I get it now. Some in guys in here are a little group that gangs up and bashes anyone who doesn't think the Texans are the greatest team in the world.

No debating, no informed responses, just bashing and name calling towards other Texans fans. You guys should feel real proud and tough.

HOU-TEX
06-18-2008, 05:03 PM
Okay, I get it now. Some in guys in here are a little group that gangs up and bashes anyone who doesn't think the Texans are the greatest team in the world.

No debating, no informed responses, just bashing and name calling towards other Texans fans. You guys should feel real proud and tough.

LMAO! Yeah that's it! Call us the Message Board Mafia.

FWIW, your reading comprehension sucks. :)

Texecutioner
06-18-2008, 05:05 PM

I'll take that as a compliment coming from you.

Specnatz
06-18-2008, 05:07 PM

Actually no one has been personal, you are extrmely new here and so far you have insulted members who have been here since 2003 when this board was concieved. Honestly, I was the one the said I rank Bold type right up there with those that type in all caps. your pink panties got all twisted because of my view on someone who has to have what they type in bold so they look important. You said you would have not given Smith and extintion because he has made some picks you did not like. I asked for an example of the 6th round pick, yet to get one. Someone has a view different than your own and you post that you will respond to this junk. Another long time meber here tells you to shut up. Now you come up with this woes is me bull crap.

Now I know why you keep going from message board to message board, because they get sick of how you treat people when you first get there and in message board lingo BOLD or CAPS is a way of yelling or emphasizing a portion of what you want to say. But what ever keep treating people like it is your opinion or nothing and you will find that no one responds to you because you will be on everyones ignore list.

GuerillaBlack
06-18-2008, 05:15 PM
How come I wasn't invited to the party?

Texan_Bill
06-18-2008, 05:17 PM

Dude! You're a cyber bully!!

How come I wasn't invited to the party?

John McClain: "Welcome to the party, pal!"

TEXANS84
06-18-2008, 05:32 PM
I know Texecutioner from another board, and he's always typed in bold. No big deal.

Lets get back to the topic guys, break it up. We're on the same team.

GuerillaBlack
06-18-2008, 05:37 PM
I know Texecutioner from another board, and he's always typed in bold. No big deal.

Yeah, I just don't read his posts. The all bold is too much for me and my eyes.

The Pencil Neck
06-18-2008, 05:41 PM

Lets get back to the topic guys.

To you and him and to others, it's no big deal. It's really no big deal to me, either. I generally ignore posts from people who have bad netiquette after letting them know I'm going to ignore them. I've done that and I'm going to ignore the guy from now on.

His "signature" is posting in bold characters. Well, if you ask around, a lot of people ignore people who do that. I'm one of them.

No big deal.

Specnatz
06-18-2008, 06:15 PM

All the blod kills my eyes, it sticks out like a sore thumb on this little 22" HD monitor.

76Texan
06-18-2008, 06:23 PM
All the blod kills my eyes, it sticks out like a sore thumb on this little 22" HD monitor.
Put some cool shades on! http://texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

Specnatz
06-18-2008, 06:45 PM
Put some cool shades on! http://texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

Sorry my typist is on strike.

ObsiWan
06-18-2008, 08:02 PM
I'm sorry....
what was the original topic?

edo783
06-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Generally, I go by the title of "Great High Lord God Boofoo", but I would let Smith use it if he wants to. I think he has earned it.

DBCooper
06-18-2008, 11:30 PM
I'm sorry....
what was the original topic?

ohhh some dumbass thinks the Texans still suck.

The fans around the NFL may think the Texans are bottom dwellars, but I'll bet opposing teams won't take us lightly.

Texanmike02
06-19-2008, 12:30 AM

I've heard of name dropping... you know like "Me and M-dub were kickin' it the other day and I asked him how many sacks he said he was going to get this year".... but monitor size dropping?

"Me and my 22 inch HD viewsonic black with the swivel"..... come on spec...... we get it... you have a nice rig...

:trophy:

:D

Mike

barrett
06-19-2008, 01:33 AM
oh my god! 35 more days of this crap!

Thorn
06-19-2008, 06:53 AM
oh my god! 35 more days of this crap!

Really. This is worse than waiting for new episodes of Battlestar Galatica.

:shots:

ObsiWan
06-19-2008, 06:58 AM
I'd go into cryostasis for a month
:fridge:
but my light bill is high enough due to normal A/C usage.

Specnatz
06-19-2008, 08:53 AM
I've heard of name dropping... you know like "Me and M-dub were kickin' it the other day and I asked him how many sacks he said he was going to get this year".... but monitor size dropping?

"Me and my 22 inch HD viewsonic black with the swivel"..... come on spec...... we get it... you have a nice rig...

:trophy:

:D

Mike

Actually was not really size dropping but the damn bold shit stands out and it is a pain in the ass to read and look at. The mention of the size was a joke to someone else who has better. As long as I been here you would think you would know me better than that.

Oh by the way at work it is a samsung since that is where i am working.

NitroGSXR
06-19-2008, 09:13 AM
So you got a bigger monitor but I made John Holmes quaver with insecurity when we were making films back in the day.

:bubble:

Shaft75
06-19-2008, 11:59 AM
I don't know if this has allready been posted in this thread, just don't have the time to read through all of the posts!

This simulation looks like a great idea on paper, but it fails in reality. Just check out the 2007 simulation predictions.

http://www.whatifsports.com/beyondtheboxscore/default.asp?article=2007NFL

It had us and the Titans as huge losers last year. It had the Giants sub 500 and the Cowboys and Packers at 8-8. They had the Browns at 5-11 and the Bengals winning the division.

They had the Texans coming in at 5-11.

It's official... Computers cannot predict the future, especially an NFL season!

Shaft75
06-19-2008, 12:54 PM
I don't know if this has allready been posted in this thread, just don't have the time to read through all of the posts!

This simulation looks like a great idea on paper, but it fails in reality. Just check out the 2007 simulation predictions.

http://www.whatifsports.com/beyondtheboxscore/default.asp?article=2007NFL

It had us and the Titans as huge losers last year. It had the Giants sub 500 and the Cowboys and Packers at 8-8. They had the Browns at 5-11 and the Bengals winning the division.

They had the Texans coming in at 5-11.

It's official... Computers cannot predict the future, especially an NFL season!

AND... The simulation had the Dolphins going 8-8. What a joke!

ChampionTexan
06-19-2008, 01:04 PM
AND... The simulation had the Dolphins going 8-8. What a joke!

They also had the Niners going 11-5 with the second highest scoring offense in the NFL. The reality was 5-11 and dead-last in the NFL in scoring.

Texanmike02
06-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Actually was not really size dropping but the damn bold shit stands out and it is a pain in the ass to read and look at. The mention of the size was a joke to someone else who has better. As long as I been here you would think you would know me better than that.

Oh by the way at work it is a samsung since that is where i am working.

Spec, I'm joking witcha. Its the offseason, HWWWNSO, Capers,Casserly and Stevens are all gone; What am I supposed to do?

The Joke came through just fine on my 14 inch orange and black techtron monitor just fine. Maybe its time to downgrade.

(that's like dropping Charlie Casserly's name when trying to get a job as a scout in the NFL.)

Mike

ObsiWan
06-19-2008, 02:32 PM
Spec, I'm joking witcha. Its the offseason, HWWWNSO, Capers,Casserly and Stevens are all gone; What am I supposed to do?

The Joke came through just fine on my 14 inch orange and black techtron monitor just fine. Maybe its time to downgrade.

(that's like dropping Charlie Casserly's name when trying to get a job as a scout in the NFL.)

Mike

definition please....
I'm familiar with He Who Will Not Be Named... are we talking about the same person?

Hervoyel
06-19-2008, 03:33 PM
definition please....
I'm familiar with He Who Will Not Be Named... are we talking about the same person?

I'm thinking it's "He Who We Will Not Speak Of" so yeah, I think you guys are talking about the same guy.

Aka "Mister Mittens" (could people please add their favorite nicknames for "her" so we can get a comprehensive list of what we're calling the Texans first truly epic bust?

Oh wait, idea time.

We need to start an online dictionary of terms that every Texans fan needs to know. Lets get on that people, we've only got a couple of months until the season starts and we can expect a large influx of bandwagon fans as we start kicking the snot out of the rest of the NFL. They'll need help.

barrett
06-19-2008, 03:34 PM
i'm guessing He Whom We Will Not Speak Of?

barrett
06-19-2008, 03:37 PM
We need to start an online dictionary of terms that every Texans fan needs to know. Lets get on that people, we've only got a couple of months until the season starts and we can expect a large influx of bandwagon fans as we start kicking the snot out of the rest of the NFL. They'll need help.

My original creation:

Open Daniels Adj. Descriptive term used when the tight end for the Texans is incredibly open on almost every play.

barrett
06-19-2008, 03:39 PM
and the less popular:

"KevinS Walter" Noun: The use of extraneous S's in the name of a football player for virtually unknown reasons.

Hervoyel
06-19-2008, 03:47 PM
and the less popular:

"KevinS Walter" Noun: The use of extraneous S's in the name of a football player for virtually unknown reasons.

I always thought that "Kevins Walter" referred to Kevin Walters inexplicable ability to get open and the illusion he creates that there is more than one of him on the field. You go plural because you think there's three of them out there.

That was just me though.

barrett
06-19-2008, 03:49 PM
"Doin' the Flannigan" : Verb. When a player finds himself laying on his back 10 yards out from the line of scrimmage confused and melancholy.

barrett
06-19-2008, 03:51 PM
I always thought that "Kevins Walter" referred to Kevin Walters inexplicable ability to get open and the illusion he creates that there is more than one of him on the field. You go plural because you think there's three of them out there.

That was just me though.

Brilliant! And I'm sure you meant Kevin Walter's inexplicable ability right?

Hervoyel
06-19-2008, 03:52 PM
Back on the knicknames for YKW (which also happens to be one of his knicknames by the way) I can't believe I didn't go ahead and put "Ocho Stinko" and "Fetal" in there. Those two are almost legal names for him.

barrett
06-19-2008, 03:58 PM
ocho stinko was always pretty funny to me.

Texan_Bill
06-19-2008, 04:02 PM
C&C Factory = that horrific group

(of Casserly and Capers)

Hervoyel
06-19-2008, 04:10 PM
C&C Factory = that horrific group

(of Casserly and Capers)

"The C&C Losing Factory" - refers to the 2001-2005 regime of General Manager Charlie Casserly and Head Coach Dom Capers who combined to bring football fans in Houston a 4 year record of futility that came to a depressing 18-46 total. They capped their illustrious careers in Houston with a 2-14 work of art that eventually led to their demise (much to the relief of those Houston Texans fans who managed to survive their reign). Credited to Texan Bill.

barrett
06-19-2008, 04:11 PM
Recently created by DaleMurphy:

"The Trinity." :

Kubiak = Jesus
Smith = Holy Spirit

Hervoyel
06-19-2008, 04:16 PM
"The Trinity" The Texans fan term for the current brain trust of the Houston Texans which draws a parallel between the Owner, GM, and Head Coach with the Christian religons Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

In Texans speak "The Trinity" goes like this: Kubiak walks among us and is our example of how to play football. Smith is the force that enables us to play football the way Kubiak shows us to. McNair is the creator and has orchestrated everything that has and will happen. Credited to dalemurphy.

barrett
06-19-2008, 04:16 PM
i would do a definition for Smithiak but i can't match your poetic C&C loosing factory definition so I'll humbly refrain and leave it to the expert.

barrett
06-19-2008, 04:20 PM
this should be split off and made into a thread of it's own. it's brilliant!!!

Hervoyel
06-19-2008, 04:25 PM
"Smithiak" A common Texans fan abbreviation used to refer to both GM Rick Smith and Head Coach Gary Kubiak at the same time. It is typically used when speaking of an accomplishment or action taken by the two who are considered inseperable and equally responsible for all Texans post-2005 success but is sometimes used in the form of a criticism. This is usually done by one who does not believe in "The Trinity". Credited to ObsiWan

(earliest reference to the term I could find here on TexansTalk.com was from him)

We need to track down who said these things first on the board. Earliest appearance should do it.

76Texan
06-19-2008, 04:33 PM
Good job, guys!
Keep 'em coming!:thisbig:

barrett
06-19-2008, 04:38 PM
using the search tool on the board the first hit for "smithiak" is from ObsiWan 08-20-07

...If we can upgrade the safety spot significantly, Smithiak will take the cap hit.

www.battleredblog.com has it as their motto. "in smithiak we trust"

barrett
06-19-2008, 06:11 PM
can anyone else think of one?

dalemurphy
06-19-2008, 07:59 PM
can anyone else think of one?

I actually coined this one back in 2006:

UT fans that root for the Titans because of VY and also claim to be Houston Texan fans: *ssholes.

Tedc
06-19-2008, 11:05 PM
UT fans that root for the Titans because of VY and also claim to be Houston Texan fans

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Tedc/bsflag.gif

ObsiWan
06-19-2008, 11:17 PM
Don't forget about the MADDmen

Mario
Amobi
DeMeco
Dunta

...would that make Reliant the MADDhouse?

barrett
06-19-2008, 11:44 PM

UT fans that root for the Titans because of VY and also claim to be Houston Texan fans: *ssholes.

hee hee!

ObsiWan
06-19-2008, 11:50 PM

I thought that term was used to describe so-called fans who threatened to dump their season tickets because we drafted Mario instead of R.B.