PDA

View Full Version : CC Brown

thunderkyss
06-15-2008, 10:23 PM
I was listening to Sirius' NFL station on the way back from Orlando earlier today. CC called in. Before they got him on the line, they started talking about the team, and our young secondary.

They talked about CC like he might be a highly sought after Free Agent at the end of the year.

I like CC, I know he isn't very popular here, but I thought it was a nice interview.

kiwitexansfan
06-15-2008, 10:35 PM
He's a guy with a lot of starters experience in the NFL, I imagine there would be a lot of teams that would like to have that experience on their team.

b0ng
06-15-2008, 10:41 PM
His problem is that he hasn't developed into some big playmaker. He gets a lot of tackles, but he doesn't have a whole lot of interceptions or forced fumbles to his name.

He's a run stuffer, not much of a coverage guy. He might be sought after if he puts up a great season this year, but I don't expect any teams to try to mortgage their future to get C.C. Brown.

Vinny
06-16-2008, 01:20 AM
His problem is that he hasn't developed into some big playmaker. He gets a lot of tackles, but he doesn't have a whole lot of interceptions or forced fumbles to his name.

He's a run stuffer, not much of a coverage guy. He might be sought after if he puts up a great season this year, but I don't expect any teams to try to mortgage their future to get C.C. Brown.He also takes poor angles sometimes....and that is something you can't do back there since you are the "safe" T. Unless he has a breakthrough year I don't see him as all that coveted next season.

m5kwatts
06-16-2008, 03:40 AM
I can see him as franchisable-he's always around the ball like Will Demps, those two were such an odd pair as safeties last year cause they aren't great playmakers but they're always around the football. He plays the run well and has good instincts which is a lot of what the safety position entails.

nero THE zero
06-16-2008, 09:06 AM
I think we've been preparing for the post-CC Brown era since last season. With the additions of Harrison, Mitchell, and Barber and the re-signing of Demps, I think we let both Earl and Brown walk next season

Texanmike02
06-16-2008, 10:27 AM
I can see him as franchisable-he's always around the ball like Will Demps, those two were such an odd pair as safeties last year cause they aren't great playmakers but they're always around the football. He plays the run well and has good instincts which is a lot of what the safety position entails.

Are you serious? Franchisable? Pay him the average of the top 5 safetys in the league? No WAY we do that. Maybe we give him a decent offer. Right now we have 3 or 4 players you might consider applying the franchise tag to if their time was up.... MW/DR/pre injury Drob/AJ/Sage (ok Sage is a joke)..... CC is not anywhere NEAR franchise tag material.

Bad angles and ball hawking skill. He's adequate as a starter but he's not worth that kind of money.

Mike

PHAROAH
06-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Are you serious? Franchisable? Pay him the average of the top 5 safetys in the league? No WAY we do that. Maybe we give him a decent offer. Right now we have 3 or 4 players you might consider applying the franchise tag to if their time was up.... MW/DR/pre injury Drob/AJ/Sage (ok Sage is a joke)..... CC is not anywhere NEAR franchise tag material.

Bad angles and ball hawking skill. He's adequate as a starter but he's not worth that kind of money.

Mike I agree with you CC Brown is solid at best I just can't see the Texans giving him top 5 money like Bob Sanders & ED Reed.

Vinny
06-16-2008, 11:40 AM
I can see him as franchisable-he's always around the ball like Will Demps, those two were such an odd pair as safeties last year cause they aren't great playmakers but they're always around the football. He plays the run well and has good instincts which is a lot of what the safety position entails.He's almost as good a candidate to franchise as Anthony Weaver or Ephraim Salaam.

ArlingtonTexan
06-16-2008, 12:00 PM

While I think that Brown probably gets more negative comments than he deserves, he is still an average NFL safety overall, He is the type of player you want to sign for moderate dollars, not franchise. You save that for the playmakers, which you admit (correctly so) Brown is not.

badboy
06-16-2008, 12:41 PM
Hopefuly, some team will need a solid but not spectacular safety during the season and offer a draft pick for CC.

thunderkyss
06-16-2008, 01:03 PM
Personally, I think CC gets a bad rep, because our front 7 can't stop the run, and our CBs can't cover.

I'm not saying he is the best thing in the secondary, but I don't think he's had the luxury of playing safety.

Now, Bob Sanders is on a team that can't stop the run with their front 7, and so he looks like a playmaker. When that front seven gets better, and they don't need him to make those plays, we'll see how he plays in coverage. Much like what has happened to Roy Williams with the Cowboys.

Ed Reed IMHO, is a real safety. Kerry Rhodes of the Jets, another good safety, doing what safeties should be doing.

Our front seven have just got a lot better, with Colvin & Okam(I think), and CC said Ray Rhodes is really helping him learn the game, and understand what's happening, and why, so hopefully he'll be able to anticipate what the other teams are trying to do, and become more of a playmaker.

I honestly don't think he and Earl have been starting on our team for so long, simply because of attrition.

hadaad
06-16-2008, 01:32 PM
Personally, I think CC gets a bad rep because when he misses, it ends up in a score.

As has been said (I think it was Vinny) you just can't have brain farts back there.

swtbound07
06-16-2008, 01:59 PM
I personally think CC gets a bad rep because...well....he kinda plays poor football.

He is the safety....last line of defense, and he takes bad angles, and gets burnt in coverage. That, combined with a lack of ballhawk skills, puts him at LEAST in the bottom 3rd of safeties in the league. Whoever said franchise....perish the thought.

Goldensilence
06-16-2008, 03:07 PM
I think we've got young safeties in the backfield and it really sucks we didn't get to see what Harrison, out of Stanford, could do last year.

Do I think he sucks? Eh middle of the road at best. I think they'll let him walk next year with some of these young safeties getting more PT this year.

Mr PC
06-16-2008, 03:18 PM
He also takes poor angles sometimes....and that is something you can't do back there since you are the "safe" T. Unless he has a breakthrough year I don't see him as all that coveted next season.

ditto. CC has improved somewhat, but he is still not in the top 32 safeties in the NFL and I doubt he ever will be. I could see him losing his starting spot this year if Earl is back full strength.

Fox
06-16-2008, 04:08 PM
I'm pretty sure CC is our team's backup plan for the mic'd helmet on the field when Demeco comes off. Seems to me our staff must have some trust in him and his presence on the field to do that. He's not a superstar but he is a constant presence for this team, and the only defensive starter aside of Greenwood and Dunta (when healthy), that survived the changing of the guard when Capers left.

I wouldn't be surprised/upset to see him go after this season, but I think he does a decent job back there.

edit: I guess TJ would still qualify as a hold over starter as well...

Polo
06-16-2008, 04:25 PM
I think that as a SS C.C. is fine...

Not a bad ball player at all...

Mr PC
06-16-2008, 04:36 PM
I think that as a SS C.C. is fine...

Not a bad ball player at all...

at least offer some kind of evidence to support your opinion. I honestly would like to know why somebody would have a positive impression of CC Brown as a safety for the Houston Texans. I've watched him play for years and I dont see it.

Texecutioner
06-16-2008, 04:54 PM
I was listening to Sirius' NFL station on the way back from Orlando earlier today. CC called in. Before they got him on the line, they started talking about the team, and our young secondary.

They talked about CC like he might be a highly sought after Free Agent at the end of the year.

I like CC, I know he isn't very popular here, but I thought it was a nice interview.

Why would any teams be jumping at C.C Brown?? He's been a hole in the scondary for a while now, and I personally can't wait until we get a replacement. Brown and Earl both have been poor safties for the Texans. Hopefully one of these young guys can take their job ASAP.