PDA

View Full Version : Two More Released

HOU-TEX
06-13-2008, 04:11 PM
So much for Grice-Mullen's potential. Too bad he was never on the field to show the coaches anything.

The Texans released safety Curome Cox and wide receiver Ryan Grice-Mullen on Friday, executing their second round of roster cuts this week.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4373

Texan_Bill
06-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Well, they had their cup of coffee.

GuerillaBlack
06-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Never noticed them.

HOU-TEX
06-13-2008, 04:23 PM
Never noticed them.

Cox was a darn good special teamer last season. He had 3 tackles in the final Jags game alone.

But yeah, I see your point.

The Pencil Neck
06-13-2008, 04:50 PM
I have to admit I'm surprised about Cox. I expected him to at least make it into camp. He worked really hard for us last year.

BornOrange
06-13-2008, 05:18 PM
Grice-Mullen had several things against him:

1. His size. Kubiak's system emphasizes bigger receivers who can gain yards after the catch and also block downfield to help in the run game.

2. His college scheme. The run-and-shoot is just a little too different from the system that most NFL teams use. It is a difficult transition.

3. His injury. Getting hurt and not being able to compete at all during OTA's makes it practically impossible for an undrafted free agent to make the team, and in Grice-Mullen's case to even make it to training camp.

ObsiWan
06-13-2008, 06:40 PM
I have to admit I'm surprised about Cox. I expected him to at least make it into camp. He worked really hard for us last year.

So am I.
I wonder does this move speak to the improvement of the Brandon brothers, Harrison and Mitchell...?

gtexan02
06-13-2008, 07:29 PM
Why is this in the NFL forum?

BornOrange
06-13-2008, 08:13 PM
It's in the Texans talk forum.

gtexan02
06-13-2008, 08:17 PM
It must have gotten moved back. It was in NFL for a while

Insideop
06-13-2008, 09:18 PM
Well, I guess I'm a little surprised at both cuts. I kept hearing how fast Grice-Mullen is and figured they would at least put him on the PS to develop. As for Cox, I thought since he played OK last year he might have a chance to make the team, at least through TC. Oh well. How many more cuts :pirate: are there? 4?

ObsiWan
06-13-2008, 09:26 PM
Well, I guess I'm a little surprised at both cuts. I kept hearing how fast Grice-Mullen is and figured they would at least put him on the PS to develop. As for Cox, I thought since he played OK last year he might have a chance to make the team, at least through TC. Oh well. How many more cuts :pirate: are there? 4?

Can't he still be put on the P/S if he clears waivers?

barrett
06-14-2008, 01:30 AM
there are just too many safeties for cox to earn a spot. even as an above average special teamer.

mullen was hurt. that's probably one of the greatest highlights of the new regime. we've got depth now at almost every position and if you're unproven and you're hurt... you're gone. no time to lolly-gag with unproven guys. too many proven productive players that are healthy and hungry.

speaking of hungry... i need a sandwich.

The Pencil Neck
06-14-2008, 02:06 AM
Can't he still be put on the P/S if he clears waivers?

You don't create the practice squad until training camp is over. And it's rare to cut a guy before training camp, not bring him back, and then put him on the PS. That's usually for guys you actually took the time to work with a li'l bit. :)

76Texan
06-14-2008, 04:59 AM
To add:

G-M played mostly in the slot against mostly a nickel or dime back on mostly second-third tier schools.

There were times he couldn't even get seperation.

How is he supposed to do it at this level?

I like the kid and all, but he can use time in a developmental league.

TexanBacker93
06-14-2008, 09:08 AM
According to the Chronicle article the Texans still have 84 on their roster. The Texans website has 83 as does my own board at home. I wonder if the Chronicle is still couning Chukky Okobi. The settlement announcement was pretty quiet and may have flown under the radar. Oh well.

b0ng
06-14-2008, 09:17 AM
According to the Chronicle article the Texans still have 84 on their roster. The Texans website has 83 as does my own board at home. I wonder if the Chronicle is still couning Chukky Okobi. The settlement announcement was pretty quiet and may have flown under the radar. Oh well.

You mean to imply that the Chronicle may not be up to date on what the Texans are doing in the offseason? You mean the General and his two lady friends might not have all the information that is Texans even when they are the local beatwriters for the team? Why, I could never fathom that one in a million years.

I'd go use your depth chart as a reference before I'd use the Chronicle's. In the words of Stephen A. Smith "They're turrrrrible".

Hardcore Texan
06-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Well Cox was a contributor as y'all have stated, and I really wanted GM to have a chance to show if he could compete at this level, but we are stacked at WR and will prolly only carry 4-5 in the season, so I knew it was a long shot.

aj.
06-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Ms. Bentley implied 84 in her article and I'm guessing Manful lifted that number from that article. I'm in the 83 camp along with ht.com and Ourlads. I shot Bentley an email to see if she could clarify.

Just for grins, I went to the Texans/NFL site on chron.com to see what they were showing for a Texans roster. I had never visited that page before so I was expecting the worst. I noticed it was last updated this morning so I thought to myself, wow, maybe they're keeping it up. But then my lack of faith in the chron was restored when I saw they still have Kevin Barry listed on the roster (didn't he go down in training camp last year and never come back?) plus they don't have Abbate, Gabe Long, Moffit, Nading or Marcus Richardson listed. Actually I'm surprised it was that accurate for the lazy uninspired hacks they are.

CloakNNNdagger
06-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Ms. Bentley implied 84 in her article and I'm guessing Manful lifted that number from that article. I'm in the 83 camp along with ht.com and Ourlads. I shot Bentley an email to see if she could clarify.

Just for grins, I went to the Texans/NFL site on chron.com to see what they were showing for a Texans roster. I had never visited that page before so I was expecting the worst. I noticed it was last updated this morning so I thought to myself, wow, maybe they're keeping it up. But then my lack of faith in the chron was restored when I saw they still have Kevin Barry listed on the roster (didn't he go down in training camp last year and never come back?) plus they don't have Abbate, Gabe Long, Moffit, Nading or Marcus Richardson listed. Actually I'm surprised it was that accurate for the lazy uninspired hacks they are.

Just had to put together an mnemonic for the occasion:

Can’t
Have
Refreshing
Opinions
Nor
Insight
Cause
Laziness
Emanates

nunusguy
06-15-2008, 03:18 PM
Actually I'm surprised it was that accurate for the lazy uninspired hacks they are.
I dunno AJ, does this mean you don't rank the Chron up there with the NY
& LA Times and "the Trib" ?

aj.
06-15-2008, 04:17 PM

aj.
06-15-2008, 04:25 PM
83 it is...

And yes, I realize the three guys that will be cut in the next couple weeks would be long shots to make the 53 anyway - heck they could even cut five and add two in the coming weeks to get to 80 - but the point was to determine the correct roster number as it stands today.

.................................................. ................

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, June 15, 2008 4:06 PM
To: aj
Subject: RE: Roster count

Hi aj,
You are right. We are at 83. I was talking to several coaches and they said the team needed to cut four more players. However, technically, we only need to cut three before training camp. So I am going to change the story.
Thanks!
BB

edo783
06-15-2008, 05:11 PM
83 it is...

And yes, I realize the three guys that will be cut in the next couple weeks would be long shots to make the 53 anyway - heck they could even cut five and add two in the coming weeks to get to 80 - but the point was to determine the correct roster number as it stands today.

.................................................. ................

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, June 15, 2008 4:06 PM
To: aj
Subject: RE: Roster count

Hi aj,
You are right. We are at 83. I was talking to several coaches and they said the team needed to cut four more players. However, technically, we only need to cut three before training camp. So I am going to change the story.
Thanks!
BB

Could that be indicative of them expecting to Colvin?

aj.
06-16-2008, 12:31 PM
Could that be indicative of them expecting to [sign] Colvin?

We have a winner.

badboy
06-16-2008, 01:27 PM
RC (Cola)an older name brand that I hope can bring some refreshing entertainment. I would be very pleased if we could pencil in 4 1/2 sacks for him now.

Specnatz
06-16-2008, 01:31 PM
RC (Cola)an older name brand that I hope can bring some refreshing entertainment. I would be very pleased if we could pencil in 4 1/2 sacks for him now.

Royal Crown Cola

AnthonyE
06-16-2008, 05:33 PM
Man, I liked Cox.

Was a great special teams player and he shows heart each time he was on the field.