PDA

View Full Version : Sage wants a chance to be a starter.

Pages : 1 [2]

ChampionTexan
07-03-2008, 11:53 AM
I am not saying you are always attacking, and I knew my post would be picked apart (notice I said rip away?). There just was no need for the liberal comment as I am FARRRRRR from liberal. :aggressive: <--that is a sarcastic smilie

If you thought I was attempting to characterize you personally as being liberal, then it's completely understandable that you didn't like it :aggressive: (sarcastic smilie back at you). That wasn't my intent.

We probably agree on alot of things, but our comments on this indicate it isn't one of them. I'm okay with that, and hopefully we'll be able to agree (and disagree) on many topics down the road.

Texanmike02
07-03-2008, 12:17 PM
I'm not known for being concise but here it goes:

To sum this up. Schaub is the starter. Sage is the backup. We don't want injuries.

Mike

Toro59
07-03-2008, 12:25 PM
:deadhorse

FILO_girl
07-03-2008, 01:05 PM
If you thought I was attempting to characterize you personally as being liberal, then it's completely understandable that you didn't like it :aggressive: (sarcastic smilie back at you). That wasn't my intent.

We probably agree on alot of things, but our comments on this indicate it isn't one of them. I'm okay with that, and hopefully we'll be able to agree (and disagree) on many topics down the road.

You're cool...and I like to see both sides of any argument, whether I am one of those arguing or not.
Shake in friendship and move on? :shades:

FILO_girl
07-03-2008, 01:07 PM
From this day forward, one of these shall be YOUR smiley: http://www.muggleinformer.net/forums/images/smilies/balloons.gif or http://tutorialoutpost.com/files/tutorials/7851.jpg or http://forum.aeoncube.com/images/smilies/misc/smilie_balloons.gif

My OWN smilie?? For reals??
I feel honored...
I like the last one...it reflects my many moods (SHUT UP, Doc)

:scarygirl:

CloakNNNdagger
07-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Since the Benson rumor is over, let me throw in a substitute to take up time and space before TC. Looks like Favre is playing his "I may not be retiring after all" preseason card. Green Bay is probably tired of being screwed around annually. So where may he go?????...........a mere speculation?........unlikely?...............but it's out there now...........let the good times roll.................:dangit:

From ESPN: (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=williamson_bill&id=3474482)

Houston Texans: This could be a sleeper team. The Texans are on the verge of good things, but they are not exactly settled at quarterback. Sage Rosenfels is waiting in the wings should Matt Schaub have issues. If Favre were available, then Texans coach Gary Kubiak, a quarterback lover, would be tempted.

ChampionTexan
07-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Since the Benson rumor is over, let me throw in a substitute to take up time and space before TC. Looks like Favre is playing his "I may not be retiring after all" preseason card. Green Bay is probably tired of being screwed around annually. So where may he go?????...........a mere speculation?........unlikely?...............but it's out there now...........let the good times roll.................:dangit:

From ESPN: (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=williamson_bill&id=3474482)
Houston Texans: This could be a sleeper team. The Texans are on the verge of good things, but they are not exactly settled at quarterback. Sage Rosenfels is waiting in the wings should Matt Schaub have issues. If Favre were available, then Texans coach Gary Kubiak, a quarterback lover, would be tempted.

http://eikoncommunity.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/the-scream-c1893-print-c10005915.jpeg
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Thorn
07-06-2008, 05:36 AM
Well, there’s some good fishing at Lake Livingston, which is between Louisiana and Houston. Favre might like it here. :fishing:

I kid, I kid.

whiskeyrbl
07-06-2008, 05:54 AM
http://eikoncommunity.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/the-scream-c1893-print-c10005915.jpeg
No way he comes here. GB or CBS commentator for Favre.

Maddict5
07-06-2008, 06:12 AM
hell will freeze over first

ObsiWan
07-06-2008, 07:38 AM
hell will freeze over first

or NFLN will stop making up Brett Favre is coming back rumors first
I mean, how desparate do they have to be to start bugging the man's mom??

ChampionTexan
07-06-2008, 10:16 AM

No way he comes here. GB or CBS commentator for Favre.

I was actually referring to the resurrection of this thread.
(Although the Favre thing ain't happening either).

76Texan
07-14-2008, 01:37 PM
According to everything that was said about Kolb during that draft, everyone's big knock on Kolb was the fact that he spent very little time under the center and had a lot of work to do on his footwork. He would have to learn an entirely different game no matter where he went. He himself, iirc, even mentioned on the NFLN's combine coverage about how he wasn't as smooth at taking the ball from under center and dropping back as the other guys during the drills because he'd never really had to do it that much before.

I'll look around and see if I can track down the tape or transcript of that.Something interesting I found, JFYI.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2008/07/01/ramblings/too-deep-zone/6351/

So if teams have been spreading the field for a decade or more, why does it suddenly look new? One thing that has changed in recent years is the number of shotgun sets. Check out the rise in passes from the shotgun in the past four seasons:

Year Pct of passes
from shotgun
2004 20.1%
2005 24.7%
2006 30.3%
2007 41.5%

This is radical change in just a few seasons, and it’s probably due to the success Peyton Manning had using shotgun sets on non-passing downs four or five years ago. You can go team-by-team, quarterback-by-quarterback, and see philosophies change. Donovan McNabb threw 77 passes from the shotgun in 2006 but 245 in 2007. Broncos quarterbacks threw 70 shotgun passes in 2005, 109 in 2006, and 255 in 2007.

The rise in shotgun sets explains why teams are classifying the new trend as a rise in “spread” offenses, not as a return to the run ‘n’ shoot, which didn’t use the shotgun much. Meyer’s spread-option, which is taking college football by storm, is built almost exclusively around shotgun formations, though Meyer-inspired teams will often use two running backs and a tight end in shotgun sets. NFL teams like the Jaguars take a similar approach, keeping the backs and tight end on the field and running delays and draws from the shotgun. The real trend in the NFL may be that teams are finding new ways to run the ball from shotgun sets, allowing them to use the shotgun on first-and-10, adding much more variety to already complex offenses.

But while teams may be adopting some Meyer principles, nobody is running a spread-option in the NFL. And technically, teams aren’t “spreading the field” any more than they have been for the last decade. Shotgun offenses are on the rise, not spread offenses. A semantic point, but it’s important to get our terminology as precise as possible.

The Pencil Neck
07-14-2008, 05:44 PM
Something interesting I found, JFYI.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2008/07/01/ramblings/too-deep-zone/6351/

So if teams have been spreading the field for a decade or more, why does it suddenly look new? One thing that has changed in recent years is the number of shotgun sets. Check out the rise in passes from the shotgun in the past four seasons:

Year Pct of passes
from shotgun
2004 20.1%
2005 24.7%
2006 30.3%
2007 41.5%

This is radical change in just a few seasons, and it’s probably due to the success Peyton Manning had using shotgun sets on non-passing downs four or five years ago. You can go team-by-team, quarterback-by-quarterback, and see philosophies change. Donovan McNabb threw 77 passes from the shotgun in 2006 but 245 in 2007. Broncos quarterbacks threw 70 shotgun passes in 2005, 109 in 2006, and 255 in 2007.

The rise in shotgun sets explains why teams are classifying the new trend as a rise in “spread” offenses, not as a return to the run ‘n’ shoot, which didn’t use the shotgun much. Meyer’s spread-option, which is taking college football by storm, is built almost exclusively around shotgun formations, though Meyer-inspired teams will often use two running backs and a tight end in shotgun sets. NFL teams like the Jaguars take a similar approach, keeping the backs and tight end on the field and running delays and draws from the shotgun. The real trend in the NFL may be that teams are finding new ways to run the ball from shotgun sets, allowing them to use the shotgun on first-and-10, adding much more variety to already complex offenses.

But while teams may be adopting some Meyer principles, nobody is running a spread-option in the NFL. And technically, teams aren’t “spreading the field” any more than they have been for the last decade. Shotgun offenses are on the rise, not spread offenses. A semantic point, but it’s important to get our terminology as precise as possible.

It's interesting but not particularly surprising. I'd like to see the numbers over the past 50 years. I think it would look like a sine wave. :)

The shotgun and the spread come and go every few years sometimes with different names and guises. They become popular and then they fall out of favor and then they get popular, etc. A lot of teams have relied on the spread and/or the shotgun off and on over the years.

Sometimes the spread has been used with the shotgun and sometimes not.

So, yeah, I can see your point. Dogging Kolb because he's a shotgun QB might not be all that valid but it was a concern that a lot of people ahd. Maybe it's kinda like the myth of 30+ carries per game with running backs. Scouts and GM's always talk about 30+ carry guy but very few people have ever actually carried the ball over 30 carries a game for a full season. Jim Brown never did it. IIRC, Emmit Smith and Walter Payton never did it, either. But you never hear anyone bad mouthing those guys as being wimpy because they couldn't carry the rock 30x per game.

Ole Miss Texan
07-14-2008, 07:02 PM
So, yeah, I can see your point. Dogging Kolb because he's a shotgun QB might not be all that valid but it was a concern that a lot of people had.
Maybe it was stll a concern because 60% of the snaps last year came 'under center' as opposed to from the shotgun?

Maybe it's kinda like the myth of 30+ carries per game with running backs. Scouts and GM's always talk about 30+ carry guy but very few people have ever actually carried the ball over 30 carries a game for a full season.

Very true. Last year Clinton Portis carried the ball 325 times (most in the NFL). He also started every single game. This averages out to 20.3125x per game.

In 2006, Larry Johnson carried the ball 416 times (68 more times than the next player- L.T.). That averages to 26x per game.

I don't know if we'll see a RB carrying the ball 480 times during the season (30x per game) for a long time.

76Texan
07-15-2008, 03:48 AM
Well, I'm really glad that we are clear on those "myths".

Then I can tell you about the major shortcoming that I can see Kolb needs to surpass if he's gonna have any career in the NFL.

And that is his tendency to hold on to the football, trying to make a play.

Boy got sacked, he got right up and throw a TD.
Can't expect the same in the NFL too often.

He does have a quicker release than Carr.
Quicker than Sage, but maybe not quicker than Schaub.

Even Joe Montana can only take so many concussions!

El Tejano
07-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Maybe it's kinda like the myth of 30+ carries per game with running backs. Scouts and GM's always talk about 30+ carry guy but very few people have ever actually carried the ball over 30 carries a game for a full season. Jim Brown never did it. IIRC, Emmit Smith and Walter Payton never did it, either. But you never hear anyone bad mouthing those guys as being wimpy because they couldn't carry the rock 30x per game.

Wimps!

Signed,

Earl Christian Campbell

Señor Stan
07-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Maybe it's kinda like the myth of 30+ carries per game with running backs. Scouts and GM's always talk about 30+ carry guy but very few people have ever actually carried the ball over 30 carries a game for a full season. Jim Brown never did it. IIRC, Emmit Smith and Walter Payton never did it, either. But you never hear anyone bad mouthing those guys as being wimpy because they couldn't carry the rock 30x per game.

Your point got me looking around a bit...

Leaders in all time rushing attempts.

Rank/Player/Career carries per game/ Season high carries

1. Emmit Smith 19.5 / 24.5
2. Walter Payton 20.2 / 24.2
3. Curtis Martin 20.9 / 24.6
4. Jerome Bettis 18.1 / 25
5. Barry Sanders 20 / 22.8
6. Marcus Allen 13.6 / 23.8
7. Eric Dickerson 20.5 / 25.3
8. Franco Harris 17.0 / 21.4
9. Tony Dorsett 17.0 / 21.4
10. John Riggins 16.7 / 25.0

Other Notables

O.J Simpson 17.8 / 23.7
LaDanien Tomlinson 21.3 / 23.3
Larry Johnson 18.8 / 26.0
Jim Brown 20.0 / 24.2
Earl Campbell 19.0 / 24.9

No one anywhere near 30. Even 25 carries in a season was a stretch for the all time greats.

TexansLucky13
07-15-2008, 03:08 PM
267 replies and the title of this thread is still grammatically incorrect.

:tease:

Señor Stan
07-15-2008, 03:12 PM

and now talking about running backs instead of back up QBs

alphajoker
07-15-2008, 03:14 PM

Don't you mean 267 reply? :user:

The Pencil Neck
07-15-2008, 05:21 PM
Wimps!

Signed,

Earl Christian Campbell

He didn't either.

TexansLucky13
07-15-2008, 05:25 PM
Don't you mean 267 reply? :user:

Nope, I mean replies. When used as a noun the plural form is replies.

....or did I miss some sarcasm? I can never tell.

The Pencil Neck
07-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Well, I'm really glad that we are clear on those "myths".

Then I can tell you about the major shortcoming that I can see Kolb needs to surpass if he's gonna have any career in the NFL.

And that is his tendency to hold on to the football, trying to make a play.

Well, if you're going to admit to that then you should know that I'm a Coog. Both my wife and I graduated from UH (granted, it was UH-DC, but still.) I've been a Cougar fan my entire life.

AND, after spending a couple of years near Philly, I'm also an Iggles fan.

So I really want Kolb to grow into a monster. I just honestly didn't think he was going to go that high after all the pre-draft analysis.

Hervoyel
07-15-2008, 08:18 PM
and now talking about running backs instead of back up QBs

Wait a second, now Sage wants a chance to start at running back?

alphajoker
07-15-2008, 08:38 PM
Nope, I mean replies. When used as a noun the plural form is replies.

....or did I miss some sarcasm? I can never tell.

LOL, yes, I was being sarcastic. I was going with the spirit of incorrect grammar.

thunderkyss
07-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Your point got me looking around a bit...

Leaders in all time rushing attempts.

Rank/Player/Career carries per game/ Season high carries

1. Emmit Smith 19.5 / 24.5
2. Walter Payton 20.2 / 24.2
3. Curtis Martin 20.9 / 24.6
4. Jerome Bettis 18.1 / 25
5. Barry Sanders 20 / 22.8
6. Marcus Allen 13.6 / 23.8
7. Eric Dickerson 20.5 / 25.3
8. Franco Harris 17.0 / 21.4
9. Tony Dorsett 17.0 / 21.4
10. John Riggins 16.7 / 25.0

Other Notables

O.J Simpson 17.8 / 23.7
LaDanien Tomlinson 21.3 / 23.3
Larry Johnson 18.8 / 26.0
Jim Brown 20.0 / 24.2
Earl Campbell 19.0 / 24.9

No one anywhere near 30. Even 25 carries in a season was a stretch for the all time greats.

You don't ever want your RB too carry the ball 30 times in any game. but it's nice to know that he can, if he has too, and sometimes, he has too.

I would bet money, that everyone on your list(lists) has carried the rock 30 times or more, on more than one occasion.

barrett
07-15-2008, 11:21 PM
Wait a second, now Sage wants a chance to start at running back?

no, sage want a chance to be a starter at running back. duh.

and how come for some of us in the thread title across the top of our post it's correct and for some of you it's incorrect. how is that the case?