PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the AFC South: RB's

b0ng
06-11-2008, 04:29 PM
Here you guys go. Same as before, vote or die.

I went with the Jags again :sad:

Ryan
06-11-2008, 05:05 PM
i think we're in 3rd ahead of the titans.

Texan_Bill
06-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Pretty much went with the Jags too.

Although, if it were a war of attrition, I just might give us the nod since we have 4 guys listed to everyone else's three... :thinking:

:sarcasm:

Lucky
06-11-2008, 05:19 PM
Jags, and #2 is not real close. Toefield is gone, but the Jags picked up USC's Chauncey Washington in the draft. Though FB Greg Jones would probably move into a 1 back set, if Jones-Drew & Taylor both went down.

hadaad
06-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Nice to see one anonymous homer.

b0ng
06-11-2008, 06:06 PM
It's funny because as much optimism I have about our running game and O-lines, I still think the Texans really have to prove it on the field vs the South. Really and truly, I want to sweep the Titans more than anything, but as long as the Titans have that defense, I don't know if that's possible.

I'm impressed with the Jags team, and I think their bread and butter on their offense is the run game. Once the WR and TE polls happen I imagine the Texans will be 1 or 2 in each category.

Lucky
06-11-2008, 06:18 PM
...but as long as the Titans have that defense, I don't know if that's possible.
The Titans made a huge jump from '06 to '07 in defense ranking. Then, they lost 2 DEs and Haynesworth has not gotten paid. And even if he does, will he be the same player as contract year Haynesworth? Who knows what kind of defense the Titans put on the field in 2008?

b0ng
06-11-2008, 06:37 PM
The Titans made a huge jump from '06 to '07 in defense ranking. Then, they lost 2 DEs and Haynesworth has not gotten paid. And even if he does, will he be the same player as contract year Haynesworth? Who knows what kind of defense the Titans put on the field in 2008?

I'm going to assume as long as they have Fat Al, and KVB (And they got Kearse back too who was very good at one point in his career) that they will still be allright on D. I have to assume that until they prove otherwise. They did lose Odom and LaBoy, but those guys weren't nearly as important as the two named above.

Fat Albert reverting back to mediocre could be interesting, but he has to show me that he sucks again.

wicked_wayz
06-11-2008, 06:46 PM
ima have to admit the titans have a pretty good running back duo in chris johnson and white

b0ng
06-11-2008, 07:28 PM
ima have to admit the titans have a pretty good running back duo in chris johnson and white

How on earth is Chris Johnson a good running back when he's never even taken a real live snap in a regular season game?

COME ON MAN!

Goldensilence
06-11-2008, 09:52 PM
I am the guy who went Colts.

Might be disagreeable but I think Addai is the most well rounded starter in the division and Rhodes makes a serviceable backup....I am also curious about Mike Hart being put into the mix there.

I like the Jags Tandem but last year was the first clear year I can recall Taylor being fully healthy. I know MJD is dynamic and I am curious to see Washington this year.

TexansLucky13
06-11-2008, 09:54 PM
I pulled a :homer: and went Texans.

:fans:

wicked_wayz
06-11-2008, 10:41 PM
How on earth is Chris Johnson a good running back when he's never even taken a real live snap in a regular season game?

COME ON MAN!

i don't know i guess im a sucker for chris johnsons speed

ChampionTexan
06-11-2008, 11:20 PM

COME ON MAN!

True, but you're overlooking the fact that the other RB he mentioned (Lendale) should never be confused with a good NFL RB either. For all the grief this board gave Dayne, Lendale's pretty much the same guy.

HOU-TEX
06-12-2008, 09:44 AM
True, but you're overlooking the fact that the other RB he mentioned (Lendale) should never be confused with a good NFL RB either. For all the grief this board gave Dayne, Lendale's pretty much the same guy.

I have to disagree here. Lenwhale has a similar body type, but he actually has a little vision while toting the rock. Dayne, Pffft! The dude couldn't find a hole if his life depended on it. He couldn't get to the outside. He never, ever saw the cutback lane...etc...etc.:wild:

Brando
06-12-2008, 09:50 AM
I went with Jax because they may have the best running back in the division in Jones-Drew. I hate saying that but iiwii.

Ole Miss Texan
06-12-2008, 09:58 AM
I initially thought of the Colts for some reason. I really like their set of RB's and fits perfectly for their team... Hart was a great pick up for them as he probably won't get much playing time but will be such a solid player when he goes in. Great guy to have pushing all the other players in training camp too, for what its worth- tough competitor.

But you can't pass on the Jags. MJD is such a stud and pairs perfectly with Taylor. Washington should be a good back up to have too.

1. Jags
2. Colts
3. Texans
4. Titans

I don't think we're in the same ballpark as the Jags and Colts RB-wise, but our RB's fit our system so great. Chris Brown sounds to be doing great (in practice), Slaton-HR threat, Walker performed great last year as an udfa, Kubiak really likes Taylor. Green is good when healthy but this is probably his last year (if he makes it). So all in all we don't really have that one stud Addai, MJD) or THAT much of an exciting group but they are going to get the job done and I'm sure we'll be in the top half of the league in rushing.

Titans have a lot of potential with their group of RB's but that team (and draft philosophy) just confuses me SO much.

hadaad
Yeah, I went with Jacksonville as well. But just because they have the best running backs doesn't mean they'll have the best rushing season. We have Gibbs!

Ryan
With the first thing i said in here i still voted for us. The homer in me is kicking right now:fans:

ChampionTexan
06-12-2008, 01:04 PM
I have to disagree here. Lenwhale has a similar body type, but he actually has a little vision while toting the rock. Dayne, Pffft! The dude couldn't find a hole if his life depended on it. He couldn't get to the outside. He never, ever saw the cutback lane...etc...etc.:wild:

in 2007, White had a 3.7 ypc avg. compared to Dayne's 4.0. Neither is great, but under 4.0 with the O-line that White had is really bad. Also, with over 300 carries, White had all of 4 carries for 20-plus yards, and zero for over 30. With approx. 2/3 of the carries, Dayne had 5 carries in excess of 20 yards with one being in excess of 30.

Maybe on paper White should be better, but on the field he's the same guy.

HOU-TEX
06-12-2008, 02:09 PM
in 2007, White had a 3.7 ypc avg. compared to Dayne's 4.0. Neither is great, but under 4.0 with the O-line that White had is really bad. Also, with over 300 carries, White had all of 4 carries for 20-plus yards, and zero for over 30. With approx. 2/3 of the carries, Dayne had 5 carries in excess of 20 yards with one being in excess of 30.

Maybe on paper White should be better, but on the field he's the same guy.

I definitely see your point. Neither one of them are very good, but if I were forced to choose between the 2 it'd be White. Having said that, I'd rather not have either one of them in the vicinity of the Texans.

I truly believe we'll have one or two RB's emerge from our group that will be very good in our scheme. Who that'll be? I think we'll see come TC and pre-season. I'm kinda hoping Taylor pulls up from the rear and can become our RB of the future along with SS.

ChampionTexan
06-12-2008, 02:40 PM
I definitely see your point. Neither one of them are very good, but if I were forced to choose between the 2 it'd be White. Having said that, I'd rather not have either one of them in the vicinity of the Texans.

I truly believe we'll have one or two RB's emerge from our group that will be very good in our scheme. Who that'll be? I think we'll see come TC and pre-season. I'm kinda hoping Taylor pulls up from the rear and can become our RB of the future along with SS.

Can't/won't argue with you as to which of these two crummy RB's do you not want on your team the most.

As to your point about the '08 Texans RB's - I completely agree. I'm not a big Walker fan (couldn't tell you why - I just wasn't that impressed watching him at the end of last year), but definitely feel like out of whoever we go with between Green, Brown, Taylor and Slaton, we can see the best Texans ground game ever. (And if Walker makes me looks stupid and becomes a mainstay, then more power to him).

Hervoyel
06-12-2008, 03:48 PM
I couldn't deny that the Jaguars are the elite running game in our division right now. I do think there won't be any question as to who has the most improved running game in 2008. That will be the Texans but the simple truth is that in the AFC South you can be the most improved running team in the division and still arguably come in 2nd or even 3rd behind the Jags and Indy. I have no respect for the Titans running game as listed but note that you left their highest profile RB off the list.

Brando
06-12-2008, 03:52 PM
I have no respect for the Titans running game as listed but note that you left their highest profile RB off the list.

That would be Vince Young.:pirate:

eriadoc
06-12-2008, 04:33 PM
I am the guy who went Colts.

Might be disagreeable but I think Addai is the most well rounded starter in the division and Rhodes makes a serviceable backup....I am also curious about Mike Hart being put into the mix there.

I like the Jags Tandem but last year was the first clear year I can recall Taylor being fully healthy. I know MJD is dynamic and I am curious to see Washington this year.

Your recollection needs work then. Fred Taylor has played in 87 games in the past six years, out of a possible 96. During that six-year stretch, he's rushed for 7245 yards for a 4.7YPC average, and just under 85YPG. He did have one year in there where he missed 5 games and only carried a 4.1YPC average that year (which just makes his other seasons look better).

Only the most elite backs give you more than that on a consisent basis.

76Texan
06-12-2008, 05:19 PM
I don't care to vote for nobody but the Texans.

Besides Taylor is older than Green.
Freddie might be on his farewell tour on cluctches! :fans:

b0ng
06-12-2008, 06:40 PM
I couldn't deny that the Jaguars are the elite running game in our division right now. I do think there won't be any question as to who has the most improved running game in 2008. That will be the Texans but the simple truth is that in the AFC South you can be the most improved running team in the division and still arguably come in 2nd or even 3rd behind the Jags and Indy. I have no respect for the Titans running game as listed but note that you left their highest profile RB off the list.

Vince barely got 300 yards rushing last year. He's not their main running threat like he was a year ago. Whether that be because he was tentative, injured or what, he wasn't worth including.

Carr Bombed
06-13-2008, 01:19 AM
I like the Jags Tandem but last year was the first clear year I can recall Taylor being fully healthy.

??? Fred Taylor shook the "fragile fred" label a long time ago.......over the past 6 seasons he's made 87 of a possible 96 starts. The addition of MJD has only added to the effectiveness of Fred Taylor, seeing how last year was one of his best years running the ball.

Goldensilence
06-13-2008, 06:21 AM
Ok.

So perhaps I really haven't paid attention to Fred's health. I would have to factor in how much I really haven't cared for the team to be honest.

For a run first team they have been dynamic but combined didn't outscore the Colts in the Running game. Addai had 12 and Keith 3. While Drew-Jones had 9 and Taylor 5. All these numbers are per NFL.com.

Insideop
06-13-2008, 10:28 AM
Well, I voted for the Jags like most of you, because they have proved it on the field. Taylor and MJD are about as solid a 1-2 punch as you can have in the NFL.

Now, as far as the Texans running game is concerned, I'm really going to be disappointed if we are not at least top 10 in the NFL at seasons end. I'm not sure how it will all "shake out" at this point, but I'm thinking at least 1 of the backs will have a 1000 to 1200 yard season, provided the injury bug doesn't get us again. And I'm thinking at least 2 other RB's will gain 500 plus yards. I know this is all just wishful thinking/speculation right now, but I'm really feeling good about our running game this year since we got Gibbs.

If it all pans out the way I hope it will, I'll have to pick the Texans RB's next year! :shades: :texflag:

pappy
06-13-2008, 06:36 PM
Past seasons are just that the past , I vote for the home team as always and expect the jags to be hurting this year . The colts will be dead last in rushing and the titans will be the next best thing this year in rushing .:spit: :beer:

gtexan02
06-13-2008, 07:04 PM
I had to go with the Colts. Addai is by far the best back on that list right now