PDA

View Full Version : Mario admits he had a problem, he was hooked on cars

TEXANS84
06-10-2008, 08:02 AM
HOUSTON - Mario Williams admits he had a problem.

It festered in college. The addiction only grew worse once he was given a six-year, $54-million contract as the 2006 draft's top overall pick.

Williams tried keeping it private, never wanting to use it as an excuse for a lackluster rookie season. But now that the Houston Texans defensive end is a budding star, Williams is willing to come clean.

He was hooked.

On cars.

Snicker if you will. Even Williams says the premise "sounds stupid." But when an off-field issue begins to affect a player's focus on football, it becomes a much more serious matter.

"I know this is off the subject," Williams said Tuesday while discussing his burgeoning NFL career. "But seriously, that's probably the biggest thing I had to overcome my satisfaction of just having cars."

And cars. And more cars.

At age 21, Williams actually entered the league with a list of expensive vehicles he planned to purchase after being drafted. Although he refused to disclose how many were bought, Williams allows that he still has "more than enough to drive a different one each day a week."
Remainder of the article (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8213234/Texans'-Williams-has-a-love-for-speed)

Wolf
06-10-2008, 08:44 AM
sounds like maturity :fans:

hobie
06-10-2008, 09:03 AM
That's great coming clean on that subject, but I am thinking, maybe it's because he can't afford the gas as much as it is now....Hey, just saying....

:sarcasm:

Porky
06-10-2008, 09:22 AM
I love cars too, I just can't afford a bunch of high dollar ones. But we did just buy an awesome new one last night though. :whip:

Oh wait, now I have to pay for it. :gun:

eriadoc
06-10-2008, 09:25 AM
There are worse things to be hooked on, and if you give your average 21-yr. old $54 million, you're probably going to find out what those worse things are.

HOU-TEX
06-10-2008, 09:28 AM
There are worse things to be hooked on, and if you give your average 21-yr. old $54 million, you're probably going to find out what those worse things are.

I agree. I have no problem at all with an addiction with cars. As a matter of fact, I'd like to check out his collection.:photos:

Texan_Bill
06-10-2008, 10:04 AM
I just hope his days of 'making it rain' are over!! Link to Steph's article:"Video of Mario 'Making it Rain'" (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/04/17/mario-williams-makes-it-rain-video/)

Thorn
06-10-2008, 10:41 AM
I wonder if Mario would like to pay off the loan on my Honda Pilot. That would be very nice of him. :)

Hooston Texan
06-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Fine and dandy with me. So long as it doesn't jeapordize his health, his career or his good standing with the law (the occasional speeding ticket aside), I'm happy to let the kid have his fun. If this is the way he wants to get his I'm-young-and-obscenely-rich groove on, God bless him.

And it sounds like he'll always be needing more money, so we can expect that he'll want to play at a high level as long as possible. That's a win-win-win for Mario, the team and local exotic car dealerships (though if I was his financial advisor, I'd be pulling my hair out).

ChampionTexan
06-10-2008, 10:48 AM
All I can think of is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsU2wOOgVzo
(On my honor - not a Rick Roll!)

beerlover
06-10-2008, 12:41 PM
I've become more interested in Formula One, but its only a pipe dream to own a Ferrari F-430, BMW M6 or Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren. heck I'd be thrilled with a Honda R type (Japan) Civic.

My suggestion to him would be to contact his favorite manufacture & ask about lending his name/sponsership towards a team so in the off season he could get some first hand exposure & even custom build a model that he could actually fit into.

:wesmantexanfan:

NitroGSXR
06-10-2008, 07:57 PM
I've become more interested in Formula One, but its only a pipe dream to own a Ferrari F-430, BMW M6 or Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren. heck I'd be thrilled with a Honda R type (Japan) Civic.

My suggestion to him would be to contact his favorite manufacture & ask about lending his name/sponsership towards a team so in the off season he could get some first hand exposure & even custom build a model that he could actually fit into.

:wesmantexanfan:
All those cars are custom fitted for the oversized people. I was a valet for 12 years in Houston and I regularly parked cars for basketball players. One car that specifically comes to mind is Shaquille O'Neal's Ferrari 360. That's a small looking car for a seven footer. I've parked that Ferrari a couple of times. What I immediately noticed was how I was unable to pull the seat forward so my short 5'6 frame could reach the pedals. The seats were custom designed for O'Neal and they're virtually unadjustable. I've encountered MANY cars like this over my 12 years of parking cars. These guys fit in them comfortably. I know this for a fact.

Texans_Chick
06-11-2008, 10:29 AM
All those cars are custom fitted for the oversized people. I was a valet for 12 years in Houston and I regularly parked cars for basketball players. One car that specifically comes to mind is Shaquille O'Neal's Ferrari 360. That's a small looking car for a seven footer. I've parked that Ferrari a couple of times. What I immediately noticed was how I was unable to pull the seat forward so my short 5'6 frame could reach the pedals. The seats were custom designed for O'Neal and they're virtually unadjustable. I've encountered MANY cars like this over my 12 years of parking cars. These guys fit in them comfortably. I know this for a fact.

Here's another example:

How Shaq Fits Into a Lamborghini (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/05/02/how-shaq-fits-into-a-lamborghini/)

Here's my write up on Mario's car addiction:

Mario Williams Beats His Addiction...To Cars (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/06/11/mario-williams-beats-his-addiction-to-cars/)

After some snooping around, I see that he sold his Ford GT (and the article said he no longer has the orange lambo which was described as his gaudiest ride but I don't think it is). I have links to pictures of his Ford GT, Viper, and green lambo.

The biggest point of that article is talking about his preparation:

Williams said he spent this off-season focused on trying to improve his burst. Williams extensively studied the pass-rush moves of much lighter ends like Dwight Freeney, Trent Cole and Kyle Vanden Bosch.

"People are talking about guys getting (lighter) to get quicker," Williams said. "I'm trying to pick up on the quick stuff coming off the ball. If I'm 300 pounds and can run as fast as the guys who are 240, that's even more of a plus for me. I know my size is going to bring power regardless."

With his car addiction in check, Williams said he is even more driven for NFL success.

"I've always loved football, but now it's at a level I can't even explain," he said. "I think that's because everything else has been washed away completely.

"Football, right now, is all I know. I guess it's just growing up."

HT.com has a video of Mario that I linked in the blog post talking about the identity he wants that defensive line to have. He said he wanted teams to fear the line.

I like that.

PapaL
06-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Maturity - it's great when your young guys gain more of it.

I really like how Mario is evolving and becoming a better player.

grinch1134
06-11-2008, 02:23 PM
At one point (last couple of months) his Ford GT was on sale on ebay. It showed a pic of his garage, which had a car lift. Just a little out of my reach, but it was cool seeing one of his cars on there.

Hardcore Texan
06-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Here's another example:

How Shaq Fits Into a Lamborghini (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/05/02/how-shaq-fits-into-a-lamborghini/)

Here's my write up on Mario's car addiction:

Mario Williams Beats His Addiction...To Cars (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/06/11/mario-williams-beats-his-addiction-to-cars/)

After some snooping around, I see that he sold his Ford GT (and the article said he no longer has the orange lambo which was described as his gaudiest ride but I don't think it is). I have links to pictures of his Ford GT, Viper, and green lambo.

The biggest point of that article is talking about his preparation:

HT.com has a video of Mario that I linked in the blog post talking about the identity he wants that defensive line to have. He said he wanted teams to fear the line.

I like that.

In the second link, the one to your write up on Mario, the video shows a Ford GT that you mention in the piece. Well, I have a daytime shot of it from All Access. I had mentioned in the All Access thread that my wife and I wondere out over the player's parking lot on one of the balconies. We saw Schaub, Pitts, and DROB all coming into the stadium. We yelled down to each one and said hi, I asked DROB how the leg was also, to which he replied "it's doing good". Also on the subject of cars, I believe it was Andre Davis that pulled in the red Ferrari while we were out there on the balcony. Here's the pics, notice Mario's parking job, I took a couple shots of his car but I had no clue it was his:

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa216/pnettles74/SDC10036.jpg

The red Ferrari, I think it was Andre Davis who drove up and got out.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa216/pnettles74/SDC10043.jpg

DROB coming in the stadium.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa216/pnettles74/SDC10034.jpg

Texans_Chick
06-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Cool pix.

beerlover
06-11-2008, 04:01 PM
my money is on Andre Davis as the fastest both on & off the field :wesmantexanfan:

TEXANS84
06-11-2008, 04:13 PM
my money is on Andre Davis as the fastest both on & off the field :wesmantexanfan:

Not with Mario's 888 hp to the rear wheels on the GT-40, no sir.

Hardcore Texan
06-11-2008, 04:29 PM
I am pretty sure this was Chester Pitts getting out of his SUV, it's far away, we he directly under us he looked up and smiled and I could tell it was him, just don't know if it was right after I took this pic though:

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa216/pnettles74/SDC10039.jpg

rush2112mn
06-12-2008, 10:22 AM
I think Mario had a monster truck too.....I saw it on a video that Channel 13 did of him back in Richlands, NC that summer after he got drafted by Texans...it was a very nice ride..........

CT CSTM
06-12-2008, 07:18 PM
I think Mario had a monster truck too.....I saw it on a video that Channel 13 did of him back in Richlands, NC that summer after he got drafted by Texans...it was a very nice ride..........

that was a demo truck,,,he had one like it but sold it and then got a "Real" big truck,,,if you wanna see some of his cars you can check out my website at www.ctcustoms.com

If the mods don't like this on here then feel free to take it off, i'm simply showing some of his cars and not spamming my company,,,there are a few of his other cars we haven't put on there yet and a couple more guys that haven't been added,,,

Texans_Chick
06-13-2008, 10:30 AM
that was a demo truck,,,he had one like it but sold it and then got a "Real" big truck,,,if you wanna see some of his cars you can check out my website at www.ctcustoms.com

If the mods don't like this on here then feel free to take it off, i'm simply showing some of his cars and not spamming my company,,,there are a few of his other cars we haven't put on there yet and a couple more guys that haven't been added,,,

No, that's totally cool and relevant to the thread, so it isn't spam at all.

Man, those cars are sweet.

TEXANS84
06-13-2008, 10:35 AM
No, that's totally cool and relevant to the thread, so it isn't spam at all.

Man, those cars are sweet.

I guess we know where Jamie Sharper is working now.

Hardcore Texan
06-13-2008, 10:56 AM

I will officially have made it when I have a vehicle on your website :woot:

Texans_Chick
06-13-2008, 11:55 AM
I will officially have made it when I have a vehicle on your website :woot:

Actually, to be honest, the only car I would really like is some sort of beater car that would have a sweet Texans paint job and was reliable enough to get me to and from the tailgates.

/wistfully watches Pimp My Ride but worries that all that stereo trickery would be just an invitation to break into my car. I haven't had an aftermarket system in my car in a long time because I've had broken windows 3 times to steal stuff.

Polo
05-29-2009, 03:26 PM
This thread gets my revival of the day award just because of the cool pics in it.

badboy
05-29-2009, 03:32 PM
This thread gets my revival of the day award just because of the cool pics in it.I thought I was bored. You're trolling mid 2008 threads?

Maddict5
05-29-2009, 05:53 PM
speaking of boredom, could a mod please tell me what happens most of the old gameday threads? deleted? can only find a couple of them on searches

Scooter
05-29-2009, 06:04 PM
i'm currently shopping for a convertible 69 camaro ... it's a sickness. :drive:

ArlingtonTexan
05-29-2009, 06:59 PM
speaking of boredom, could a mod please tell me what happens most of the old gameday threads? deleted? can only find a couple of them on searches

Should be under archived threads

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Maddict5
05-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Should be under archived threads

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11

i only see the jags gameday & hurricane ike threads in there

edit: nvm i figured it out

Andrew6
05-31-2009, 04:31 AM
i'm currently shopping for a convertible 69 camaro ... it's a sickness. :drive:

I feel your pain. I'm looking for either an SSR or a SRT10 dodge ram.