PDA

View Full Version : Rosevelt Colvin Signed

Pages : [1] 2

TexanSam
06-03-2008, 11:01 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5817469.html

Free agent outside linebacker Rosevelt Colvin is going to visit the Texans on Wednesday.

Colvin, who is entering his 10th season and turns 31 in September, had four sacks in 10 starts for New England last season. He missed six starts because of a sprained foot but is healthy now.

The Texans are loaded with outside linebackers but none who have Colvin's credentials. Colvin, 6-3, 250, had 8 1/2 sacks in 2006, his last healthy season.

The Texans have been looking for an edge rusher to play opposite Mario Williams in passing situations. Colvin can play outside linebacker in a 4-3 or a 3-4. In the Patriots' 3-4 scheme, Colvin dropped down and rushed in passing situations.

Colvin said last week that the Cleveland Browns and New York Jets are among the teams showing interest in him.

AnthonyE
06-03-2008, 11:20 PM

Not a bad person to bring in imo.

He's old enough to be a good leader and good role model, but still has a bit of playing left in him. :)

dalemurphy
06-03-2008, 11:21 PM

Now this is interesting! If we can get this guy without threatening our cap health going forward, he would be a heck of a good risk. THis is exciting.

Let me add, McClain is an *****. He actually thinks we're getting him to play LB. Clearly, our interest in him is predominately as a situational pass rusher. Wow, when healthy, he can really make a difference for us. Also, he'd have a good shot at a healthy couple of years because we'd only need him for 20-25 plays a game. I'm officially excited!!

TexansLucky13
06-04-2008, 12:27 AM
Many of you know I love the Pats, and I would like this signing. That said, I wouldn't want him for much more than the veteran minimum.

Corrosion
06-04-2008, 02:07 AM
Not a bad person to bring in imo.

He's old enough to be a good leader and good role model, but still has a bit of playing left in him. :)

I dont think he needs to come in to this team and try to be one of the leaders , rather he needs to simply fit in ..... he could be a role model for some but he should do that quietly ..... lead by example .

PHAROAH
06-04-2008, 04:41 AM
He will be a DE in Houston no way he plays linebacker here in H-town and he played DE at Purdue and with the Bears so he can do the job.

Lucky
06-04-2008, 08:03 AM
Capers and Casserly brought Colvin in for a free agent visit during the 2003 offseason. Colvin would have played OLB in the Texans 3-4. Eventually, Colvin signed with New England, saying that he wanted to play for a winner. He got his wish.

CloakNNNdagger
06-04-2008, 08:21 AM
If his injury problem is indeed resolved, he could be a valuable acquisition. The Pats are known for their frugality and since Colvin would have counted $7.6 million against the team’s salary cap in 2008, and the Pats save $5.5 million, that and not injury could have very likely played the greatest role in his release.

Porky
06-04-2008, 08:24 AM
Now this is interesting! If we can get this guy without threatening our cap health going forward, he would be a heck of a good risk. THis is exciting.

Let me add, McClain is an *****. He actually thinks we're getting him to play LB. Clearly, our interest in him is predominately as a situational pass rusher. Wow, when healthy, he can really make a difference for us. Also, he'd have a good shot at a healthy couple of years because we'd only need him for 20-25 plays a game. I'm officially excited!!

FYI - I read the article over my Oatmeal this morning, and Megan Manfull wrote the article I'm almost positive.

I hope they can sign him. I do agree he is probably a situational 3rd down pass rushing end in our system, and if healthy, I think he could be a really good move for us, and help seal off the escape route on Mario's opposite side. Add in some push in the middle so the QB can't step up, and we could have a pretty damn good pass rush for the first time in our history.

EDIT - My fault. McClain wrote the piece on Colvin. She wrote the piece on Rick Smith's ext. Continue to McCain bash if it makes you feel better.

Fox
06-04-2008, 09:49 AM
He was one of my favorite players back when he was with da bears. Considering we're still searching for someone opposite Mario to consistently generate some heat in the pass rush, he'd be worth a look for the right price. Sounds as if he already has some interest from some other teams, hopefully that hasn't driven up his demands too high.

ArlingtonTexan
06-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Colvin has experience playing OLB in 4-3 so it is not out of the question that he could do some work there, but given his recent injury history having him as a situational pass rusher is his most likely role.

06-04-2008, 10:10 AM
wouldn't hurt as long as we didn't overpay.

BigBull17
06-04-2008, 10:16 AM
I agree, sign him for min, if he makes the team great, if not oh well.

ATXtexanfan
06-04-2008, 10:38 AM
love the move as a DE

PHAROAH
06-04-2008, 10:50 AM
love the move as a DEExcellent move as a Defensive End at this stage of his career and he would be good if he had to drop back in coverage from the defensive Line position.

Second Honeymoon
06-04-2008, 10:53 AM

we have never been in cap trouble, dale. ever. we haven't used our franchise tag ever because we have never had to. i am not huge on this signing and I do think he would be signed as an OLB not a DE. He may be a situational DE pass rusher and get down in linemena position, but I dont think it will be that often.

people always think that signing players is going to put us in cap hell or somehow is going to screw our future. this is not the case. the only time you can put yourself in cap hell is when you sign/resign scrubs like Carr, Wade, and Weaver to huge money deals and they dont perform. Why not spend the extra money and get someone who can actually play and not some big puss like Carr or scrubs like Wade or Weaver.

I would rather them go after J.Taylor but I doubt therer is any chance of that happening..he dont want to come here.

badboy
06-04-2008, 11:12 AM
If Colvin makes roster, who gets cut?

Lucky
06-04-2008, 11:12 AM
A couple other DEs I belive could become available over the summer are Arizona's Bertrand Berry and Jacksonville's Reggie Hayward. I say that because both teams made big investments in the draft at the DE position, as well as their respective salaries. I don't think either would come on the market until the draft choices are signed, and both teams may be looking for draft choices as compensation (rather than outright release).

Berry and Hayward make sense for the Texans because they have shown edge rushing ability, and they're former Broncos. Berry was one of Rick Smith's street free agent reclamation projects at Denver. Here's a look at the sack totals for each player, and Colvin, over their past 3 seasons.

Berry - 14.5 sacks in 27 games
Colvin - 19.5 sacks in 43 games
Hayward - 12 sacks in 28 games

Carr Bombed
06-04-2008, 11:42 AM

Hopefully Anthony Weaver, I don't know what the Texans see in him, he has one sack in his Texan career and is always knicked up.........even when he's fully healthy he's nothing special.

The Texans need to go ahead and clear him off the books........If I were them, I'd go ahead and cut him and find a replacement (and finding somebody to replace his production shouldn't be that hard, the guy isn't producing much).

badboy
06-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Hopefully Anthony Weaver, I don't know what the Texans see in him, he has one sack in his Texan career and is always knicked up.........even when he's fully healthy he's nothing special.

The Texans need to go ahead and clear him off the books........If I were them, I'd go ahead and cut him and find a replacement (and finding somebody to replace his production shouldn't be that hard, the guy isn't producing much).What about the huge hit to the cap?

Carr Bombed
06-04-2008, 11:52 AM
What about the huge hit to the cap?

I just want the guy gone. I want somebody that has a little pep in their step and can actually get to the QB opposite Mario.

DiehardChris
06-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Yeah, we're not going to cut Weaver. I think he should get a handful of games to prove he can still hack it. I've seen Kubiak say that Weaver was fighting through injury last year, but now he's healthy. That's what they said about Mario in his rookie year, too - but who knows if it's also true about Weaver.

Carr Bombed
06-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Yeah, we're not going to cut Weaver. I think he should get a handful of games to prove he can still hack it. I've seen Kubiak say that Weaver was fighting through injury last year, but now he's healthy. That's what they said about Mario in his rookie year, too - but who knows if it's also true about Weaver.

I just don't think Weaver fits this system, he's more of a 3-4 end and the most sacks he ever had in a season was 5........which was 5 seasons ago. He also only has 3 sacks over his last 3 seasons, he never really proved he could hack it even before he was injured.........I'm just ready to move on, Houston needs to find a DE that atleast fits their system, not a undersized DT stuck out at the end position.

Big Lou
06-04-2008, 12:27 PM
They can't afford to cut Weaver. If he can walk on to the field he'll be playing this year. I read somewhere that if we cut him on June 1st they would have faced a $3.8 million dollar cap hit.

We'd be back to dead cap money like for Todd Wade and Robaire Smith. Besides I think were still paying for Boselli!!!!!

CloakNNNdagger
06-04-2008, 12:41 PM
I couldn't find the exact link, but here is a copy of what I had printed out for my review awhile back. (I include it with credit in entirety for that reason):

Courting Colvin
March 8, 2003

By Carter Toole

HoustonTexans.com

Sure, Rosevelt Colvin is about to get a nice, fat raise. But considering his schedule the past week, here's hoping Colvin's agent has also invested in a frequent-flyer program for the former Bears linebacker.

"The traveling is wearing on me," Colvin said. "First I went to New York, then I went to Detroit. I flew to Arizona, then went back home for a day and then flew to Jacksonville before coming here."

Here is Houston, where Colvin is pretty sure he's wrapped up his whirlwind tour. He visited the Texans at Reliant Stadium Saturday, taking in the club's facilities and meeting with Texans head coach Dom Capers.

The Texans have plenty of company in trying to secure the services of Colvin, considered by many to be the top free agent on the market, regardless of position. Colvin has racked up 10 1/2 sacks in each of the past two seasons and has 26 sacks through his first four seasons.

Colvin is ferocious and consistent. He set a Bears record in 2002 by securing a sack in eight consecutive regular season games. And Colvin is the first Bears linebacker to crack the double-digit mark in sacks since Otis Wilson in 1985 -- the year Chicago won its lone Super Bowl.

Capers and his 3-4 defense have historically been a perfect fit for linebackers who like to crash the pocket.

"The 3-4 definitely suits who I am and what I can do," Colvin said. "I played defensive end in college and made the conversion to linebacker. But my heart is rushing the passer, I want to get to the passer all the time. The Texans feel like I can help them out."

Last season at this time, Texans linebacker Kailee Wong seemed destined for Cleveland. But Wong, who played defensive end at Stanford before converting to linebacker for the Vikings, relished the opportunity Capers offered him to become an off-the-edge pass rusher.

Colvin, who played defensive end at Purdue, also seems intrigued by the outside linebacker slot in the 3-4. And he already sees a solid defensive unit in place.

"I know they lost Jeff Posey as their right outside linebacker," Colvin said. "I would probably come in and try to fill that void. They have a lot of talent in place -- good corners, good safeties, the linebacker crew is already excellent and the three guys they've got in front of them are excellent, too.

"I don't think I'd be the answer here but just a piece of the puzzle."

Colvin saw his share of highs and lows in Chicago. The Bears went 13-3 in 2001 and won their first division title in 12 years. But they lost at home to Philadelphia in the divisional playoffs and then plummeted to 4-12 last season. Colvin is looking to latch onto a team that is on the rise and that he can help reach the summit.

"Being with the Bears for four years and going through my different experiences there, I just want an organization that wants me," Colvin said. "If I want to be in a city, I want the organization to want me there, too. I'm looking for a team that's going in the right direction. I want to win as many games as possible and ultimately win that Super Bowl."

What next? Colvin just wants to get and make a decision.

"All my visits have been good, I've enjoyed everyone I've met," he said. "As soon as I'm able to sit down with my agent and figure out what the best situation is for me. I want to weigh my options and make sure where I'm going is where I want to be."

The Texans also entertained former Titans offensive lineman Aaron Graham Saturday. Graham handled Tennessee's long-snapping duties last season, a role he also served in Oakland in 2001. Graham started 41 games over his first three seasons

dalemurphy
06-04-2008, 12:44 PM
I just don't think Weaver fits this system, he's more of a 3-4 end and the most sacks he ever had in a season was 5........which was 5 seasons ago. He also only has 3 sacks over his last 3 seasons, he never really proved he could hack it even before he was injured.........I'm just ready to move on, Houston needs to find a DE that atleast fits their system, not a undersized DT stuck out at the end position.

Weaver fits the system perfectly at DE if it's 3rd down and one or even on 1st and 10... All we need is a guy to relieve him on 3rd and 8 or 2nd and 15. IF Weaver was gone, we'd have Cochran starting. In that case, we'd still be looking for the situational speed rusher.

Carr Bombed
06-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Weaver fits the system perfectly at DE if it's 3rd down and one or even on 1st and 10... All we need is a guy to relieve him on 3rd and 8 or 2nd and 15. IF Weaver was gone, we'd have Cochran starting. In that case, we'd still be looking for the situational speed rusher.

Anthony Weaver is not really a 4-3 end, he doesn't fit this system perfectly...

I don't really care who starts (BTW, for the amount of snaps Cochran played......he produced a hellava lot more than Anthony Weaver) I just want the Texans to start looking for that other guy, a prototypical 4-3 end to compliment Mario, that is all......I don't like Anthony Weaver.

Specnatz
06-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Anthony Weaver is not really a 4-3 end, he doesn't fit this system perfectly...

I don't really care who starts (BTW, for the amount of snaps Cochran played......he produced a hellava lot more than Anthony Weaver) I just want the Texans to start looking for that other guy, a prototypical 4-3 end to compliment Mario, that is all......I don't like Anthony Weaver.

The team is looking, if they weren't they would not bring in a guy like Colvin.

badboy
06-04-2008, 01:09 PM
My crystal ball says Cochran will be the starter with Weaver on bench despite his salary.

El Tejano
06-04-2008, 01:17 PM
I was wondering if he would provide another pass rusher to go against in practice for Duane Brown. A veteran pass rusher could help in that department as well as helping hone Mario's skills would make him an even better acquisition.

Nawzer
06-04-2008, 01:25 PM
I think Colvin will definitely be an upgrade if we can sign him. If I remember correctly he was considered an elite level outside linebacker when he was with the Bears. His move to the Patriots was plagued with injuries but he produced whenever he was on the field for them. I don't think he's a fulltime player anymore but if we can get him 15-20 plays a game and to get him to rush the qb I think it will be a good investment.

DiehardChris
06-04-2008, 01:41 PM
Season...........Total games played

I'd hardly consider him injury 'plagued'. He was fine for three years until last season's foot injury. These are Rotoworld's stats, so I assume they're accurate.

Polo
06-04-2008, 02:28 PM
Folks are being too hard on Weaver...He's not a bad ball player...

He's just not what we need opposite Mario...

I expect Weaver to have a better season now that he's healthy...

NBT
06-04-2008, 03:40 PM
I don't think we pay Colvin 5.5M with that bad wheel. If he would come in for an incentive laden contract, he might be a suspect, but I doubt if he wants to play for the Texans. If Berry becomes available, I would rather we go after him.

HOU-TEX
06-04-2008, 03:43 PM
It seems SmithGM has recruited him before. :thinking:

(on if he and Colvin talked about both playing for Purdue) “You know, I recruited Roosevelt Colvin out of high school. He was at Broad Ripple High School in Indianapolis and I was at Purdue at the time and I was successful in convincing him to come to Purdue. And he had a pretty good career.”

(on if the same tactics will work with the Texans) “We don’t pay as much!”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4355

DiehardChris
06-04-2008, 03:57 PM
According to 610, he has taken a physical with the Texans today... so at least we know we're not totally out of the running.

76Texan
06-04-2008, 04:09 PM
Rotoworld reports that he passed a physical with the Colts last month (late May?)

I'm iffy about this one.
Unless he signs an incentive-laden contract, I'd rather the Texans look at other options.

Specnatz
06-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Rotoworld reports that he passed a physical with the Colts last month (late May?)

I'm iffy about this one.
Unless he signs an incentive-laden contract, I'd rather the Texans look at other options.

And what would those options be? Not being sarcastic, but it does not look like there is much out there.

DiehardChris
06-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Yeah, like I said - it just means we're not out of the running. He could have showed up, not liked what he heard, and just walked out without the physical.

Or, hell, I don't know - maybe the first thing they do upon a visit is a physical.

But anyway, yeah - I'm with you. You just can't pay too much for this guy... but if the price is right, I like it a lot.

HOU-TEX
06-04-2008, 04:14 PM
It looks to me like he might be asking more than what teams are willing to offer. :thinking:

DiehardChris
06-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Yeah - if joining the best team was his #1 interest, he would have signed with the Colts last month, assuming they made him an offer.

ChampionTexan
06-04-2008, 04:21 PM
Yeah, like I said - it just means we're not out of the running. He could have showed up, not liked what he heard, and just walked out without the physical.

Or, hell, I don't know - maybe the first thing they do upon a visit is a physical.

But anyway, yeah - I'm with you. You just can't pay too much for this guy... but if the price is right, I like it a lot.

He didn't say why, but on this morning's show, LZ made the comment that he felt like the signing of Colvin by the Texans was going to happen.

mexican_texan
06-04-2008, 04:23 PM
*cough* Sam Cowart *cough*

thunderkyss
06-04-2008, 04:38 PM

Good call..... but, we do need another pass rusher.

76Texan
06-04-2008, 05:07 PM
I guess we don't have a whole lot of options.

But would the Seahawks take Boulware back for Babin?

Or we can follow the situation in Jacksonville, with those two new DEs they drafted, perhaps Hayward or Spicer might become available.

And I just happen to see the Denver's roster with 11 DE on it???
Anybody know much about them?

TEXANRED
06-04-2008, 05:10 PM

Colvin is not Sam Cowart.

Cowarts best years were over three years before joining the Texans. There is still a decent amount of gas in that tank.

Not to mention Colvin would bring with him an expectation of winning, playing for a great Bears D and then skipping on over to play for a great Pats D. For Colvin winning is the norm and not the exception. So saying that, I doubt he signs. And that is not to say the Texans are going to suck again, just the perception of our organization for the past six years.

IlliniJen
06-04-2008, 05:13 PM
What do y'all think about this guy's leadership ability or his attitude about how to win?

I'm not saying we lack either on D (or the team in general, I think we have all the right "intangible" pieces in place in this regard), but stuff like this can put a team over the top.

I want a NASTY defense. Is Colvin going to bring more of that to our team?

The age is a bit of an issue IMHO, but as a short-term solution, not a bad addition if we can sign him.

PHAROAH
06-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Man a 2 year deal would be nice with him as the weakside pass rusher like Robert Mathis for the colts with that quick first step coming off the edge opposite Mario would be awesome.

DocBar
06-04-2008, 10:09 PM
The defense we field this year has the ability to be a monster. MW seems to get "IT" now and AO, TJ and AW seem to have a fire lit under them(at least in OTA's) and I think our LB crew could be a definite strength all the way through. IMO. Colvin would be a GREAT asset if used properly in passing situations. AW has made comments about liking to move inside in those situations http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4352, so this could be a win-win IF Colvin will sign for the right money. If not, have a great rest of your career, hopefully in the NFC.

TexanSam
06-04-2008, 10:26 PM
The defense we field this year has the ability to be a monster. MW seems to get "IT" now and AO, TJ and AW seem to have a fire lit under them(at least in OTA's) and I think our LB crew could be a definite strength all the way through. IMO. Colvin would be a GREAT asset if used properly in passing situations. AW has made comments about liking to move inside in those situations http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4352, so this could be a win-win IF Colvin will sign for the right money. If not, have a great rest of your career, hopefully in the NFC.

But then we still have Richard Smith :(

DocBar
06-04-2008, 10:35 PM

Go crap on someone elses heart. OK???? I'm watching Holyfield and Bowe fight right now. I don't need this crap. I have 2 X wives and a current wife to crap on my dreams. Just go with it, brother!!!!! Feel the sacks!!!!!

TexanSam
06-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Go crap on someone elses heart. OK???? I'm watching Holyfield and Bowe fight right now. I don't need this crap. I have 2 X wives and a current wife to crap on my dreams. Just go with it, brother!!!!! Feel the sacks!!!!!

Hope you're right. I hope that our defense has had a lack of big plays and sacks due to having the wrong personnel instead of it being the defensive coordinator's fault. Hopefully if we have Richard Smith we'll become a good defensive team. The biggest problem with our D has been the lack of a consistent pass rush. Hopefully with Kalu, Cochran, (hopefully) a better Weaver, and possibly Colvin we'll fix that gaping hole opposite Mario Williams.

I do have a good feeling about our D. I think Zac Diles and Xavier Adibi are going to help a lot. And I think Molden is going to be like Fred Bennett was last year as a rookie. If our D plays well the beginning of the season, then I can't wait to see it once Dunta Robinson comes back!

DocBar
06-04-2008, 10:49 PM
I think our D has had a combination of wrong/young personnel AND a cooridinator that lacks faith in the talent of the D. It has been mentioned several times that Smith "dumbed down" the D because of personnel. Like most of the posters on here, I have no clear idea what Smith's philosphy is. I DO believe that the talent of this D will prevail. We have some very good people in place that want to win and can digest the scheme of Smith, if indeed there is one.

ObsiWan
06-04-2008, 11:41 PM
Season...........Total games played

I'd hardly consider him injury 'plagued'. He was fine for three years until last season's foot injury. These are Rotoworld's stats, so I assume they're accurate.

I added his tackles and sacks from ESPN.com. The number in parenthesis is games played by their account.

1999...........5(11)..11......2.0
2000..........12(13)..32......3.0

Its probably just me being paranoid because of last season's "Ahman Green experience", but one does wonder why N.E. is willing to let him walk...? Is he just testing the waters so he and N.E. will have a starting point for a new contract?
Are we being played?

DocBar
06-05-2008, 07:04 AM
I added his tackles and sacks from ESPN.com. The number in parenthesis is games played by their account.

1999...........5(11)..11......2.0
2000..........12(13)..32......3.0

Its probably just me being paranoid because of last season's "Ahman Green experience", but one does wonder why N.E. is willing to let him walk...? Is he just testing the waters so he and N.E. will have a starting point for a new contract?
Are we being played?
N.E. is well known for letting quality, older players walk when their contract demands exceed what N.E. is willing to pay. I think that could be a factor.

CloakNNNdagger
06-05-2008, 10:03 PM

Colvin said last week that the Cleveland Browns and New York Jets are among the teams showing interest in him.

Funny, not a chirp from either the Browns or the Jets. But not that surpising. The Browns are desparately looking for CB's and the Jets are loaded with OLB's. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear of a Texans signing shortly.

kiwitexansfan
06-05-2008, 11:18 PM

I think people are overly critical of Richard Smith, our D has had a lot of injuries and was still transitioning out of the 3-4 set of personnel, hopefully this year things will finally click and we can see the system as Smith envisions it.

Like a lot of things in life building something great takes time and if you keep on knocking out the foundation and starting again, you will never get anything accomplished. Lets see how he goes with the defense this year with more pieces in place, a better understanding of the system and less injuries (knock on wood).

TheRealJoker
06-06-2008, 07:46 AM
Colvin still has big play ability and athleticism despite his age. If I remember correctly he was the Pats linebacker who intercepted Manning to seal the game against the Colts last year.

HOU-TEX
06-06-2008, 08:53 AM
Zierlein seems pretty confident Colvin will be a Texan by the looks of his answer to this question.

LZ,

Great job as always. Keep it coming. What your thoughts on the Texans possibly signing Roosevelt Colvin? Anything new on Charles Spencer?

I think, if he's healthy, Colvin will be a Houston Texan. He can still get off the ball quickly and I think he's probably more of a pass rushing 3rd down specialist.

You can listen to his podcast too.

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2008/06/post_52.html

El Tejano
06-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Well I sure do hope he comes. I think he is more of a finisher and will help our D get to the QB alot.

SOLIS
06-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Yeah - if joining the best team was his #1 interest, he would have signed with the Colts last month, assuming they made him an offer.

He's got his two rings. Not saying that he wouldn't want another, but I get the feeling that he's looking for the sweetest deal possible to end his career.

Aside from the Colts/Texans, Colvin reportedly has potential suitors in the Browns and the Jets. He played under both Crennel and Mangini when they were defensive coordinators under Belichick.

DiehardChris
06-06-2008, 12:52 PM
He's got his two rings. Not saying that he wouldn't want another, but I get the feeling that he's looking for the sweetest deal possible to end his career.

Aside from the Colts/Texans, Colvin reportedly has potential suitors in the Browns and the Jets. He played under both Crennel and Mangini when they were defensive coordinators under Belichick.

Yeah, that's kind of what bothers me... he has a NFL connection in some way to all the teams, except Houston. (I don't count the Rick Smith/Purdue thing - that's kind of a stretch).

Plus - if he's looking for the sweetest deal - there's an even less likely chance we'll get him than if he's looking for the best winning situation.

You would think another big factor would be playing time. I don't see him getting on the field as much with the Colts as he could with the other teams mentioned... so that might work in our favor.

SOLIS
06-06-2008, 01:10 PM
You would think another big factor would be playing time. I don't see him getting on the field as much with the Colts as he could with the other teams mentioned... so that might work in our favor.

Normally I would think that a player would try to get as much playing time because of the money involved. Better playing time = better stats = better leverage come contract time. But seeing how Rosevelt is coming off an injury and looking to land somewhere that will most likely be his last stop, I think he'll go for the most cash - regardless of playing time. But that's just my two cents.

Now he could be an ego maniac who demands significant minutes, and if that's the case, it blows my take out of the water...

El Tejano
06-06-2008, 01:15 PM
I think we can offer him the PT and money. I also think that Smith isn't going to open the vault for this guy either, especially with the possibility of a Hayward or Spicer being available to us.

HOU-TEX
06-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Yeah, that's kind of what bothers me... he has a NFL connection in some way to all the teams, except Houston. (I don't count the Rick Smith/Purdue thing - that's kind of a stretch).

Plus - if he's looking for the sweetest deal - there's an even less likely chance we'll get him than if he's looking for the best winning situation.

I don't know, there's sort of a lifetime bond formed with College friends/acquaintances. Especially if you were to get involved with a fraternity.

Texan_Bill
06-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Bob McNair---------> Dunta Robinson------> Fred Bennett-------> USC Gamecocks.

DiehardChris
06-06-2008, 01:24 PM
I don't know, there's sort of a lifetime bond formed with College friends/acquaintances. Especially if you were to get involved with a fraternity.

That's a fair point - but Rick Smith isn't a coach. It's not the same as having a former mentor/coach like Mangini or Crennel right there with you on the field.

Despite all that though - I would think Indy would still be most attractive to him... it's his hometown and they're by far the best team in the running.

I wonder what kind of guaranteed money he's looking for. That's got to be the sticking point.

HOU-TEX
06-06-2008, 01:33 PM
That's a fair point - but Rick Smith isn't a coach. It's not the same as having a former mentor/coach like Mangini or Crennel right there with you on the field.

Despite all that though - I would think Indy would still be most attractive to him... it's his hometown and they're by far the best team in the running.

I wonder what kind of guaranteed money he's looking for. That's got to be the sticking point.

I hear ya, and don't necessarily disagree with you.

I agree. Considering he's from Indy.

I assume it's more than what teams are offering him. Like someone said earlier, I think he's looking to cash out before retirement. IMO, the Texans wouldn't give him more than a 2 year contract.

PHAROAH
06-07-2008, 02:37 AM
Any news on R. Colvin?

Brando
06-07-2008, 09:32 AM
rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=1129&line=117171&spln=1)

ESPN's John Clayton believes the Texans have the best chance of landing free agent LB Roosevelt Colvin.
Clayton says the Colts have assembled enough pass rushers that they don't need him rigt now. Colvin would have a better chance for playing time in Houston where their linebackers struggle to rush the passer.

Just do it like Michael Jordan!:fans:

b0ng
06-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Any news on R. Colvin?

I suppose if he's still in Houston, then no news is good news.

EDIT: ^^^^^Or that could be good as well. Yesterday "Pancakes" McClain was saying on 610 that he thinks the deal will end up getting done with Colvin coming to Houston.

While I like the idea of an edge rushing linebacker, we better not break the bank for him.

ObsiWan
06-07-2008, 10:10 AM

How about a real answer to the man's question. No more - I hate Weaver (or whoever) so kick him out. Realistically, which LB hits the road if Colvin signs here? Here's the HT.com roster listing of LBs.
52...Adibi, Xavier* (may get squirreled away on IR)
57...Bentley, Kevin (may make it as S/T'er)
53...Coley, Kevis
54...Diles, Zac
56...Greenwood, Morlon <--- Shantee Orr was dumped last year, could it be Greenwood's time this year?
60...Moffitt, Ben*
61...Richardson, Marcus*
59...Ryans, DeMeco
51...Thompson, Chaun
* indicates rookie

Assuming we keep six, who stays and who goes? I think Greenwood may be sweating this signing.
What say you?

b0ng
06-07-2008, 10:19 AM
How about a real answer to the man's question. No more - I hate Weaver (or whoever) so kick him out. Realistically, which LB hits the road if Colvin signs here? Here's the HT.com roster listing of LBs.
52...Adibi, Xavier* (may get squirreled away on IR)
57...Bentley, Kevin (may make it as S/T'er)
53...Coley, Kevis
54...Diles, Zac
56...Greenwood, Morlon <--- Shantee Orr was dumped last year, could it be Greenwood's time this year?
60...Moffitt, Ben*
61...Richardson, Marcus*
59...Ryans, DeMeco
51...Thompson, Chaun
* indicates rookie

Assuming we keep six, who stays and who goes? I think Greenwood may be sweating this signing.
What say you?

I really think if we keep 6 and Colvin has to be one of them then I think it goes Greenwood, Ryans, Diles, Colvin, Thompson, Adibi/Moffit and whoever doesn't do as well on the practice field out of the last two will go to IR.

EDIT: After thinking about this for about 3 minutes I realize that Thompson and Colvin are probably interchangeable and Thompson is probably sweating this signing more than anybody. Still, linebackers who can rush the passer are a commodity and I'm sticking to my guns here.

BornOrange
06-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Since Colvin is going to be used as a pass rusher, I think ND Kalu and Earl Cochran would be the ones with their job on the line.

threetoedpete
06-07-2008, 10:55 AM
What's Greenwood's cap number ?

They expose adibi, they are liable to lose him. I was wrong about Frye last year. Might squeeze adibi through waivers.

If they drafted Moffit with an eye for him to take Mike anderon's place on ST, that would make him practice squad eligible. Not practice squad practical. LB slots are going to be some of the hardest cuts.

DiehardChris
06-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Not sure exactly - but Greenwood's got one of the biggest - if not the biggest - cap number on the team. I think the only guy who might have a bigger one (are you sitting down?) is Anthony Weaver.

There's no way Adibi would clear wavers. He's either on the roster, or they'll fake him on to the IR.

Second Honeymoon
06-07-2008, 11:21 AM
I suppose if he's still in Houston, then no news is good news.

EDIT: ^^^^^Or that could be good as well. Yesterday "Pancakes" McClain was saying on 610 that he thinks the deal will end up getting done with Colvin coming to Houston.

While I like the idea of an edge rushing linebacker, we better not break the bank for him.

don't worry about breaking the bank. mcnair has plenty of money and the salary cap is a joke now with the uncapped year and with a possibility of no more salary cap with the next collective bargaining agreement.

if McNair can spend a hundred million dollars on losers like Carr and no one complained about it, why not spend a few million on a quality player like Colvin? I would rather get someone who can actually play than some garbage like we have been given in the past in FA.

Colvin's recent injuries do worry me though and I do agree that we shouldnt overpay but the bottom line is we are going to have to pay because there is a demand out there for quality players.

b0ng
06-07-2008, 11:28 AM
don't worry about breaking the bank. mcnair has plenty of money and the salary cap is a joke now with the uncapped year and with a possibility of no more salary cap with the next collective bargaining agreement.

if McNair can spend a hundred million dollars on losers like Carr and no one complained about it, why not spend a few million on a quality player like Colvin? I would rather get someone who can actually play than some garbage like we have been given in the past in FA.

You're right that McNair doesn't have a problem spending the cash on players, but I don't know if all of the owners are going to be cool with an uncapped year (I can only think of Jerry Jones and maybe Al Davis being on board with that).

I look at the salary cap and I see Anthony Weaver, and Morlon Greenwood making the most against the cap and it just makes me cry. I could see Colvin being another guy like that if they completely break down and let the dude get whatever he demands, and I don't want to see that.

CloakNNNdagger
06-07-2008, 01:03 PM
The Texans, if they obtain Colvin, may very well alternate his assignments from OLB to DE (book end to Mario). I can remember the Pats using him in some defensive sets as a DE..........and he didn't look too shabby.

ObsiWan
06-07-2008, 02:20 PM
I really think if we keep 6 and Colvin has to be one of them then I think it goes Greenwood, Ryans, Diles, Colvin, Thompson, Adibi/Moffit and whoever doesn't do as well on the practice field out of the last two will go to IR.

EDIT: After thinking about this for about 3 minutes I realize that Thompson and Colvin are probably interchangeable and Thompson is probably sweating this signing more than anybody. Still, linebackers who can rush the passer are a commodity and I'm sticking to my guns here.

I thought Thompson was brought in because he represented an upgrade in speed; not only as a pass rusher but also in coverage. What's the scoop on Colvin as far as coverage goes?

b0ng
06-07-2008, 02:28 PM
I thought Thompson was brought in because he represented an upgrade in speed; not only as a pass rusher but also in coverage. What's the scoop on Colvin as far as coverage goes?

I was under the impression that Thompson was brought in because he had pass rushing skills and might even put his hand down at times. Which is supposedly the same thing I've read/heard about Colvin, except that Colvin might be quicker with the pass rush itself.

Colvin's coverage, I have no earthly clue about.

dalemurphy
06-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Since Colvin is going to be used as a pass rusher, I think ND Kalu and Earl Cochran would be the ones with their job on the line.

Well, the great thing about this scenario is we could eliminate the weakest player out of : LB, DE, or DT, because of Weaver, Thompson, and Colvin's flexibility. I doubt Colvin's signing has any impact in Thompson making the team, his ability to play all three LB positions and DE still have value- along with his age, athleticism, and small cap number.

V3rm0nt3r
06-07-2008, 02:54 PM
What's Greenwood's cap number ?

They expose adibi, they are liable to lose him. I was wrong about Frye last year. Might squeeze adibi through waivers.

If they drafted Moffit with an eye for him to take Mike anderon's place on ST, that would make him practice squad eligible. Not practice squad practical. LB slots are going to be some of the hardest cuts.

http://www.inthebullseye.com/cap2008.html

Greenwood, Morlon contract through 2009

Base =$4,017,000

Guaranteed= $1,400,000

Total= $5,517,000

V3rm0nt3r
06-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Adibi gets a spot or he is lost, Moffit won't make the team but the guy was good in college so if he shows up he will be PS and the rest are obvious except Greenwood, I mean he isn't 5 million dollars good but he is still capable.

Second Honeymoon
06-07-2008, 07:19 PM
You're right that McNair doesn't have a problem spending the cash on players, but I don't know if all of the owners are going to be cool with an uncapped year (I can only think of Jerry Jones and maybe Al Davis being on board with that).

I look at the salary cap and I see Anthony Weaver, and Morlon Greenwood making the most against the cap and it just makes me cry. I could see Colvin being another guy like that if they completely break down and let the dude get whatever he demands, and I don't want to see that.

Well Weaver is expensive because he has potential and he is so young. he had also shown good signs in the Ravens defense when playing but that defense is much more aggressive and was really kickin ass then. Greenwood was a bad signing period. If you go back and look at the Greenwood signing thread, you will find a lot of 'WTF?!? how much did we spend on this guy'....even Dolphins fans were coming over and saying that we overpaid greatly...just another Asserley move though...nothing new

that being said, Greenwood probably had his most productive year as a Texan last year and started to at least play somewhat near what he costs.

i agree with ya though bong. i dont want them to break the bank either because that just inflates everyones, but the cap-free year is pretty much a certainty for at least one year if not possibly abolished. They will probably institute some sort of luxury task soft cap which would please the players and appease the owners whose markets are small.

TheRealJoker
06-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Is it just me or after a few players when media outlets say we're the front runner for a player and a signing is imminent they go sign another team?

For some reason every minute that goes by since LZ and Mcclain said we're most likely signing Colvin makes me think Colvin isn't coming here. If he would've we would've already signed him like we do other players that visited and immediately signed or signed the next day.

edo783
06-08-2008, 06:08 AM
Is it just me or after a few players when media outlets say we're the front runner for a player and a signing is imminent they go sign another team?

For some reason every minute that goes by since LZ and Mcclain said we're most likely signing Colvin makes me think Colvin isn't coming here. If he would've we would've already signed him like we do other players that visited and immediately signed or signed the next day.

Could be another vet trying to leverage a deal with us into a better deal elsewhere on a team they think could be more of a playoff team. They then have us as the "Plan B" so to speak.

CloakNNNdagger
06-08-2008, 06:35 AM
I have not been able to find any source that characterizes Colvin's injury as anything but "severe foot injury." I would have to now believe that in addition to him possibly wanting a "sweet deal," the nature of his previous injury must have something to do with him not being immediately scooped up by teams.

NitroGSXR
06-08-2008, 09:42 AM

I've always thought that it was silly how many of you guys go into some severely indepth conversations about potential signings. Personally, I'd love to have Colvin on the team but I simply don't care about him. He's not a Houston Texan so until he becomes one... I'll just reserve the potential insight until then.

For what it's worth, I haven't heard anything about us being the 'front runner' in the Colvin sweepstakes at this time. I can't think that he would be a bad addition to our team in any way whatsoever.

Despite Greenwood's inflated contract, I don't believe that he's really keeping Rick Smith from doing his job effectively. Morlon Greenwood probably doesn't deserve the contract that he got but he's definitely playing some active football and is not sitting on the bench earning a fat paycheck. He's actually earning it. Greenwood is what I'd consider a 'safe' football player. He goes for the safe play. That's okay, guys. It really is. Our linebackers can't be going for the big play until they know that they can count on our secondary to pick up the slack and Morlon is the perfect player for this type of football.

It's time for a Rosevelt Colvin/Xavier Adibi type of player though. I'm ready for the big play but I like having the safe football player on our team.

V3rm0nt3r
06-08-2008, 11:02 AM
I've always thought that it was silly how many of you guys go into some severely indepth conversations about potential signings. Personally, I'd love to have Colvin on the team but I simply don't care about him. He's not a Houston Texan so until he becomes one... I'll just reserve the potential insight until then.

For what it's worth, I haven't heard anything about us being the 'front runner' in the Colvin sweepstakes at this time. I can't think that he would be a bad addition to our team in any way whatsoever.

Despite Greenwood's inflated contract, I don't believe that he's really keeping Rick Smith from doing his job effectively. Morlon Greenwood probably doesn't deserve the contract that he got but he's definitely playing some active football and is not sitting on the bench earning a fat paycheck. He's actually earning it. Greenwood is what I'd consider a 'safe' football player. He goes for the safe play. That's okay, guys. It really is. Our linebackers can't be going for the big play until they know that they can count on our secondary to pick up the slack and Morlon is the perfect player for this type of football.

It's time for a Rosevelt Colvin/Xavier Adibi type of player though. I'm ready for the big play but I like having the safe football player on our team.

If Colvin signs than I doubt that Greenwood would be the first on the chopping block for the reasons you stated. I think the big question is can Colvin play DE and still successfuly get to the quaterback. If so than I think Weaver is gone.

dalemurphy
06-08-2008, 11:07 AM
If Colvin signs than I doubt that Greenwood would be the first on the chopping block for the reasons you stated. I think the big question is can Colvin play DE and still successfuly get to the quaterback. If so than I think Weaver is gone.

Weaver's not going anywhere. Colvin signing puts pressure on the backend of the LB and DL rotation: Maddox, Buhlman, Kalu, Cochran, Bentley, etc... not the likely starter. Weaver would cost more to cut than to keep this year.

ChampionTexan
06-08-2008, 12:31 PM
In terms of Weaver or Greenwood going anywhere, it seems pretty simple to me. Both of them were starters in 2007, and as of now, it appears both of them are starters in 2008 (I realize this could change, but that's the way it appears now).

The fact they are starters would indicate the coaches feel that they're better than any of the backups/rotation players. Unless you have a cap problem (which I do not believe the addition of Colvin or any other LB/DE we're likely to add would create), you cut the players you think are the least valuable, not those you've designated as starters.

Neither Greenwood or Weaver are going anywhere in '08.

TexansLucky13
06-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Weaver's not going anywhere. Colvin signing puts pressure on the backend of the LB and DL rotation: Maddox, Buhlman, Kalu, Cochran, Bentley, etc... not the likely starter. Weaver would cost more to cut than to keep this year.

Yep. Neither Maddox, Kalu or Cochran are in any danger, if I know Kubiak (and I don't really).

V3rm0nt3r
06-08-2008, 02:49 PM

Weaver is set to make, an estimated 6.2 million this year and 6.2 again next year with 2.7 of that guaranteed each year. Now Colvin will likely bring a price tag worth noting and the next highest paid guy in your list is Bentley with 1.25 with 600k guaranteed. This will become a financial question and saving 3.5 million a year will look a hell of a lot better than 650k.

Not to mention, that on HoustonTexans.com it was even brought up, in a news article about him regaining form, that during the offseason Smith had made it a priority to upgrade the pass rush although nobody was signed. Add to that that he was outsacked 3-1 by Kalu last year and has a career high of 5 sacks in a season.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4352

dalemurphy
06-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Weaver is set to make, an estimated 6.2 million this year and 6.2 again next year with 2.7 of that guaranteed each year. Now Colvin will likely bring a price tag worth noting and the next highest paid guy in your list is Bentley with 1.25 with 600k guaranteed. This will become a financial question and saving 3.5 million a year will look a hell of a lot better than 650k.

Not to mention, that on HoustonTexans.com it was even brought up, in a news article about him regaining form, that during the offseason Smith had made it a priority to upgrade the pass rush although nobody was signed. Add to that that he was outsacked 3-1 by Kalu last year and has a career high of 5 sacks in a season.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4352

Weaver, however, can also slide into DT. In addition, when you cut a player you free yourself of his salary but his entire bonus on the backend is accelerated into one season, or split into a second (without his services)... They aren't going to do that. Cutting Weaver in no way helps them sign or pay for Colvin in terms of the salary cap.

TK_Gamer
06-08-2008, 04:50 PM
With the insurgence of Bulman and Okoye, and the new guy Okam, I think maybe Maddox, Bentley or Cochran will have alot tougher time making the team. One of them may not even make the 80 man roster. But who knows.

ChampionTexan
06-08-2008, 05:46 PM

Assuming that signing Colvin doesn't put us in jeopardy of exceeding the cap (Which we have a $9 Million-plus margin on right now), why would the Texans cut a starting DE for someone who most believe will be a part-time pass rush specialist?

TexanSam
06-08-2008, 05:53 PM
I'm not so sure that Colvin wouldn't be a starter if he signs here. He was injured for the last 5 games and the playoffs last year, but the games he played he started (except for one).

TEXANRED
06-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Rotoworld speculates that Colvin would sign with the Texans.
http://rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1129

I could see him playing DE or LB for our team. He would be an upgrade over our current WLB's and LDE.

Lets go Colvin.

Goldensilence
06-09-2008, 01:06 AM
Weaver, however, can also slide into DT. In addition, when you cut a player you free yourself of his salary but his entire bonus on the backend is accelerated into one season, or split into a second (without his services)... They aren't going to do that. Cutting Weaver in no way helps them sign or pay for Colvin in terms of the salary cap.

Not a big fan of Weaver moving inside. I don't think he did it this past year because he really wanted to nor did he look great much less effective. I also think our backups at DT this year look better then sliding him inside anyway.

I think this is Weaver's swan song this year unless he has some kind of year.

I'm not sure on Colvin signing here but one thing I'd like if he did is he might bring an attitude that makes this defense turn the proverbial corner. He's played in big games and won big games. There isn't a guy on this team on either side of the ball in the NFL that has done either.

ChampionTexan
06-09-2008, 01:09 AM
I'm not so sure that Colvin wouldn't be a starter if he signs here. He was injured for the last 5 games and the playoffs last year, but the games he played he started (except for one).

At all of 250 pounds, I have a difficult time seeing Colvin starting at DE. All of the games he started for the Pats were at LB. It's also kind of interesting that while Weaver had a down year in all aspects in '07, he's historically been stronger against the rush and weaker against the past, while the opposite could be said of Colvin.

TexanSam
06-09-2008, 01:18 AM
At all of 250 pounds, I have a difficult time seeing Colvin starting at DE. All of the games he started for the Pats were at LB. It's also kind of interesting that while Weaver had a down year in all aspects in '07, he's historically been stronger against the rush and weaker against the past, while the opposite could be said of Colvin.

That's true. I didn't take into account his weight. Whether he's a starter or a reserve on our team, he would be a great addition! Hope Rick Smith can sign him!

HOU-TEX
06-09-2008, 09:17 AM
FYI, Bulman has been getting alot of reps at DE. Apparently he's been pretty impressive. John "No Neck" McLain said he looked good too (Take it FWIW).

“I’ve gotten reps in there, especially at drop end,” Bulman said. “Getting the terminology, especially with the first team, and getting in with those guys and getting to gel – it’s definitely been really good because you won’t have that opportunity a lot. I think I’ve definitely taken advantage of it.”

The team’s coaches would agree. Bulman has lined up opposite defensive end Mario Williams and proved himself as a pass rusher.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4363

El Tejano
06-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Not a big fan of Weaver moving inside. I don't think he did it this past year because he really wanted to nor did he look great much less effective. I also think our backups at DT this year look better then sliding him inside anyway.

I think this is Weaver's swan song this year unless he has some kind of year.

I'm not sure on Colvin signing here but one thing I'd like if he did is he might bring an attitude that makes this defense turn the proverbial corner. He's played in big games and won big games. There isn't a guy on this team on either side of the ball in the NFL that has done either.

I really agree with this statement. Our run defense was pretty suspect. If I recall when he was in the middle, we gave up alot of rushing TD and yards. Also I think the other DTs on the roster are going to solidify spots that will not be available for Weaver at DT.

TEXANRED
06-09-2008, 04:30 PM
At first I thought it was crazy to think that Colvin would come here. But it keeps looking that he might. Over at HT.com they have an interview with Rick Smith and he said that the two sides have been in continuous contact trying to work something out.

Sounds like a contract to me. Or at least better than the last time when he just blew us off all together.

V3rm0nt3r
06-09-2008, 05:03 PM

So, instead of keeping a 6.2 million dollar starter, now your saying we keep a 6.2 million dollar rush stopper who, in your own words, "had a down year in ALL aspects" last year. great

Rex King
06-09-2008, 05:09 PM
Just hope it's a one-year deal or a front-loaded contract if it happens. We've still got a chunk of cap space to play with this year.

SOLIS
06-09-2008, 10:10 PM
The more I think about it, the more I'm not liking the idea. Rather than pay Colvin for what he's done, I'd rather keep our money and develop the talent that is already on this team... Adibi, Diles, Thompson... Colvin is a piece that is best suited for a.) a 3-4 defense and b.) a contender that is a player or two away.

Unless he agrees to play for peanuts, I don't think I'm going to like the deal. Not saying that he couldn't contribute, but I don't think its in the teams best interest. I'd rather see the Texans develop their youngsters while continuing to dig themselves out of dead money deals. He's going to be 31 and he's coming off a foot injury. Does Ahman Green ring a bell? Nope, I don't like it.

b0ng
06-09-2008, 10:16 PM
Colvin is a piece that is best suited for a.) a 3-4 defense and b.) a contender that is a player or two away.

You know when he played for the bears they ran a 4-3 and that's when he got the most sacks in his career right?

Second Honeymoon
06-09-2008, 10:40 PM
The more I think about it, the more I'm not liking the idea. Rather than pay Colvin for what he's done, I'd rather keep our money and develop the talent that is already on this team... Adibi, Diles, Thompson... Colvin is a piece that is best suited for a.) a 3-4 defense and b.) a contender that is a player or two away.

Unless he agrees to play for peanuts, I don't think I'm going to like the deal. Not saying that he couldn't contribute, but I don't think its in the teams best interest. I'd rather see the Texans develop their youngsters while continuing to dig themselves out of dead money deals. He's going to be 31 and he's coming off a foot injury. Does Ahman Green ring a bell? Nope, I don't like it.

Why not spend the money if he is the best option out there? We need the upgrade and they didn't do anything about it in the draft. Let's get this done as long as we pay market rate and no expansion-premium. Mario needs some help so he can truly blossom and dominate like a #1 overall pick should. He has been fantastic but lets help the guy..hes a warrior.

SOLIS
06-09-2008, 10:42 PM
You know when he played for the bears they ran a 4-3 and that's when he got the most sacks in his career right?

Very true, he had back to back 10.5 sack seasons - several years and a few injuries ago. That's what I mean about paying the dude for what he has done... a lot of risk involved if the contract is anywhere near what I think he's shooting for. He passed the Colts physical also, but they still haven't brought him aboard. They've been working on that deal since mid-April. Chances are he's asking too much. I don't want to see us invest in a guy who has a track record of missing time... especially at his age.

kiwitexansfan
06-09-2008, 10:43 PM

My thoughts exaclty.... Colvin can probably fit either defense especially if you ask your OLB to rush more than cover.

Given that this is not the case in our scheme (from what I understand) I figure he wouldn't play much OLB and would have his hand on the ground if he was on the field.

SOLIS
06-09-2008, 10:47 PM
Why not spend the money if he is the best option out there? We need the upgrade and they didn't do anything about it in the draft. Let's get this done as long as we pay market rate and no expansion-premium. Mario needs some help so he can truly blossom and dominate like a #1 overall pick should. He has been fantastic but lets help the guy..hes a warrior.

I agree that Mario needs help - from a true DE - not an aging LB. Not to mention, we have several talented LBs who could benefit from playing time. He's a good player, and I'm not saying he couldn't contribute - but I think we could get similar contributions from some of the LBs already on our roster. My issue with him is not that he isn't talented, its that he has dead money deal written all over him.

ledzeppelin229
06-09-2008, 10:58 PM
I agree that Mario needs help - from a true DE - not an aging LB. Not to mention, we have several talented LBs who could benefit from playing time. He's a good player, and I'm not saying he couldn't contribute - but I think we could get similar contributions from some of the LBs already on our roster. My issue with him is not that he isn't talented, its that he has dead money deal written all over him.

The bright side is that Jackasserly is out of the picture, so I expect Rick Smith will keep the deal within reason and have the patience to pass it up if it seems too high and detrimental to our other plans.

Specnatz
06-09-2008, 11:20 PM

Where you are missing the point is that Colvin will not be playing LB he will be playing edge rusher. I am not sure which LB you are referring to as talented for rushing the passer. The only one that I know of that has even been mentioned has been Chaun Thmpson. Kubiak just said he might be used as a edge rusher on passing downs.

This does nothing to the players you mentioned as far as them developing and getting playing time at LB. Besides we are not giving up draft picks and I do not think the cap hit will be that much.

Mr PC
06-10-2008, 12:21 AM
yes sign him up. He can even compete for the OLB starting spot, or backup, or situational pass rusher. Not to mention he has tremendous veteran knowledge from a team that is known for excellent LB play.

SOLIS
06-10-2008, 01:08 AM
Where you are missing the point is that Colvin will not be playing LB he will be playing edge rusher. I am not sure which LB you are referring to as talented for rushing the passer. The only one that I know of that has even been mentioned has been Chaun Thmpson. Kubiak just said he might be used as a edge rusher on passing downs.

This does nothing to the players you mentioned as far as them developing and getting playing time at LB. Besides we are not giving up draft picks and I do not think the cap hit will be that much.

So you're assuming Colvin, at 250, will come into to play backup DE? I couldn't disagree more. First of all you are asking him to play a position he's never played. If he comes, he will most certainly play Linebacker. You can wish he played DE like an edge rushing LB all day long, doesn't mean its gonna happen. I cannot emphasize enough that he hasn't played in the 4-3 in six years, and even then he played LB. He didn't play DE in college or the pros. Please show me the press clipping, web page, quote box, or whatever that says Colvin is coming here to be a backup DE. They want him to come in and add that pass rushing ability from the LB spot - just like he did with the Pats and the Bears.

I don't doubt that he still has skills, but he failed NE's physical and was released. He's been courted for near two months by the Colts but still hasn't settled on a deal. If all he wanted was to play for a contender, he'd be back home in Indy. He wants a payday. That's why he's shopping himself. Look - he's coming off a foot injury that shelved him for the second half of last season. You think he still has that speed he had when he was in his heyday? Naw bro. He's had both a hip injury and a foot injury that caused him to miss significant time in his career. He's damaged goods. I don't want to see the Texans take that kind of risk on a 31 year old player - not for the money he's looking for. He was due over 5 mil from the Pats, I'm pretty sure he would like to see something in that ball park.

As far as the LBs with speed - All three that I mentioned have that in spades. All three are athletic enough to rush the passer if given the opportunity. All they need is their number to be called. They won't get that experience playing behind Colvin. I'd rather take my chances and mold a young player, rather than take an old dog and try to teach him a whole bag of new tricks.

ObsiWan
06-10-2008, 03:38 AM
One has to wonder why N.E. would let this guy go but hold onto 77 yr old Larry Izzo.

Like I said a couple of pages back, its probably paranoia but I'm getting a distinct Ahman Green vibe about this potential pickup.

SAMURAITEXAN
06-10-2008, 06:33 AM
Guys I have a question. Cause I am confused here. Why a heck he passed Texans and Colts physical? Does NE know something that we or Colts don't?

Go Texans!!

SAMURAITEXAN
06-10-2008, 07:47 AM
Further to my question mentioned above, should NE physical was conducted I believe a few months ago, he may be OK now to perform at least from our's or Colts' judgement from physical point of view? Or, are we still missing something? Or, NE know something that we can't find from our physical checking procedure?

Go Texans!!

HOU-TEX
06-10-2008, 09:14 AM
So you're assuming Colvin, at 250, will come into to play backup DE? I couldn't disagree more. First of all you are asking him to play a position he's never played. If he comes, he will most certainly play Linebacker. You can wish he played DE like an edge rushing LB all day long, doesn't mean its gonna happen. I cannot emphasize enough that he hasn't played in the 4-3 in six years, and even then he played LB. He didn't play DE in college or the pros. Please show me the press clipping, web page, quote box, or whatever that says Colvin is coming here to be a backup DE. They want him to come in and add that pass rushing ability from the LB spot - just like he did with the Pats and the Bears.

I don't doubt that he still has skills, but he failed NE's physical and was released. He's been courted for near two months by the Colts but still hasn't settled on a deal. If all he wanted was to play for a contender, he'd be back home in Indy. He wants a payday. That's why he's shopping himself. Look - he's coming off a foot injury that shelved him for the second half of last season. You think he still has that speed he had when he was in his heyday? Naw bro. He's had both a hip injury and a foot injury that caused him to miss significant time in his career. He's damaged goods. I don't want to see the Texans take that kind of risk on a 31 year old player - not for the money he's looking for. He was due over 5 mil from the Pats, I'm pretty sure he would like to see something in that ball park.

As far as the LBs with speed - All three that I mentioned have that in spades. All three are athletic enough to rush the passer if given the opportunity. All they need is their number to be called. They won't get that experience playing behind Colvin. I'd rather take my chances and mold a young player, rather than take an old dog and try to teach him a whole bag of new tricks.

The 6'3", 254-pound Colvin was a defensive end at Purdue.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FCL/is_6_31/ai_81789945

The Texans are trying to add another outside pass rusher to complement Mario Williams. Colvin has played in the 3-4 and 4-3 schemes before, and he has two Super Bowl rings.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5819819.html

Moved to linebacker after playing defensive end in college, but lined up at rush end in passing situations.

http://nwe.scout.com/a.z?s=121&p=8&c=1&nid=1839197

Specnatz
06-10-2008, 10:07 AM
So you're assuming Colvin, at 250, will come into to play backup DE? I couldn't disagree more. First of all you are asking him to play a position he's never played.

It is nice that you think I am assuming anything while that is all you have done. Look at the quotes above, I did not assume anything I was going by information I had.

Failed a physical? Maybe I missed it but please provide me with a link to where he failed a physical, because in the NFL if you are under contract and you fail a pysical you can't be released without an injury settlement. Just like the Texans did with that Center they jst recently released. That is also why Shaun Alexander took a physical before he was released by the Seahawks. It is in the collective bargining agreement. You talk about his injuries and say he is damaged goods, you do understand that before any contract talks began he did have a complete physical do you not?

Oh and bro as far as his speed that he had in his heyday, I am sure the coaches gave him those test during the physical to see what he had left as well. You act like our GM and HC are stupid and who just sign Colvin to this multi year billion dollar contract. As far as Colvin looking for more money than he is being offered, most likely. Most vets do, but as you can tell by him not being signed yet the team has a certain money area they are offerring and they are not budging from that. So it is up to Colvin to either accept or decline, you throw it out there like the team will cave and give Colvin all this money when they are clearly not.

Maddict5
06-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Further to my question mentioned above, should NE physical was conducted I believe a few months ago, he may be OK now to perform at least from our's or Colts' judgement from physical point of view? Or, are we still missing something? Or, NE know something that we can't find from our physical checking procedure?

Go Texans!!

yeah gthe pats always release players when they have nothing left

signed,
ty law, lawyer milloy

ChampionTexan
06-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Failed a physical? Maybe I missed it but please provide me with a link to where he failed a physical, because in the NFL if you are under contract and you fail a pysical you can't be released without an injury settlement.

There's been a whole bunch of talk about Colvin failing a physical, but I don't think there's a shred of credible evidence that it happened. The primary reason that Colvin was cut was due to a base salary for '08 of $5.5 Million, and a cap savings of $5.8 Million that resulted from letting him go. This also goes a long way towards answering the question of why Larry Izzo was kept when Colvin was let go. I don't know what Izzo's base salary is for '08, but in '07 it was less than $1 Million.

Oh, and I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to the day where we sign a 30-plus year old player who's had an injury or two (which is virtually every 30-plus player) who makes a positive impact for us. Maybe then folks will stop assuming the Ahman Green signing is an indicator of every veteran signing we'll ever make.

HOU-TEX
06-10-2008, 10:56 AM
I heard that he failed his physical in New England too. BUT, after searching the net for any solid information, I came up empty. Everything I came across was based on reports or speculation. They were all similar to this article. Notice the word "reportedly".

Any body else have any luck? It appears to me as if the Pats used it as an excuse to cut his 5.5 million.

Colvin Gone
The New England Patriots terminated the contract of veteran linebacker Rosevelt Colvin on Tuesday. Saddled with a $5.5 million salary and $7.6 million cap charge for a 30-year old pass rusher

Colvin reportedly failed his year-end physical, which is what led to the roster move.

http://usc.scout.com/a.z?s=15&p=2&c=732540

SOLIS
06-10-2008, 11:35 AM
It is nice that you think I am assuming anything while that is all you have done. Look at the quotes above, I did not assume anything I was going by information I had.

Failed a physical? Maybe I missed it but please provide me with a link to where he failed a physical, because in the NFL if you are under contract and you fail a pysical you can't be released without an injury settlement. Just like the Texans did with that Center they jst recently released. That is also why Shaun Alexander took a physical before he was released by the Seahawks. It is in the collective bargining agreement. You talk about his injuries and say he is damaged goods, you do understand that before any contract talks began he did have a complete physical do you not?

Oh and bro as far as his speed that he had in his heyday, I am sure the coaches gave him those test during the physical to see what he had left as well. You act like our GM and HC are stupid and who just sign Colvin to this multi year billion dollar contract. As far as Colvin looking for more money than he is being offered, most likely. Most vets do, but as you can tell by him not being signed yet the team has a certain money area they are offerring and they are not budging from that. So it is up to Colvin to either accept or decline, you throw it out there like the team will cave and give Colvin all this money when they are clearly not.

Whoa, put them flames out bud. I was mistaken about Colvin's position in college. Hold up... here's one of a few articles that had me believing he was a OLB in college:

http://www.purdueexponent.org/interface/bebop/showstory.php?date=2003/04/28&section=sports&storyid=odomdraft

Former Purdue linebacker Rosevelt Colvin played for Chicago from 1999 to 2002, but the New England Patriots signed him as a free agent this offseason.

Not to mention that he was listed as a OLB in the 1999 draft:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_NFL_Draft

As far as his being released after failing a physical, that's what I read at several sites. Here's a couple:
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+East/New+England/Transactions/2008/transfeb.htm
http://usc.scout.com/a.z?s=15&p=2&c=732540

Here's some further substantiation from USA Today:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/texans/home.htm
In Colvin's last healthy season in 2006, he had 8 1/2 sacks for the Patriots. He was released by the Patriots on February 26 after a failed physical.

Now as far as thinking the brain trust of the Texans are stupid, come on man, I never said/implied that. I have the utmost faith in those two, along with their outstanding team of assistants. In Smithiak we trust, que no?

My point wasn't to question Smith/Kubiak, it was to say that we can't afford to give this guy what he wants. If you don't want to hear about Ahman Green, then how bout Tony Boselli? He was another 30 year old player that never contributed. Don't forget, he passed his exit/entry physicals too. Look, after back to back seasons with 17 players on the IR, we can ill afford to take a chance on another guy who has seen his fair share of time in the rehab room.

If he becomes a Texan, so be it. I'll cheer the mofo on louder than anyone, I'm just saying that I'm not a fan of the move if it plays out the way I think it will.

Vinny
06-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Colvin is a tweener so debating whether he is a rush end at de or a OLB used as an edge rusher is kinda moot.....he's a pretty good edge rusher who can play in space as an olb. He's a dynamic player...if healthy.

76Texan
06-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Shoulda kept Jason Babin and his cheap contract! :headhurts:

That said, and not being a fan of this possible move, I would still be OK if they decide to go with Colvin.

I happen to think that we have a good shot at the playoffs, so if we have money, go for the best FA you think is available.

Now knowing that Spicer is a client of Rosenhaus, I'm not counting on him to be available.
And I'm not a huge fan of Hayward after seeing him huffing and puffing at times last year.

Vinny
06-10-2008, 02:18 PM
comparing Babin to Colvin is like comparing Antwaan Peek to Jason Taylor. It doesn't matter how cheap the contract is if the player sucks.

76Texan
06-10-2008, 02:24 PM
comparing Babin to Colvin is like comparing Antwaan Peek to Jason Taylor. It doesn't matter how cheap the contract is if the player sucks.No comparison.

Only that one guy has always been healthy, while the other one ... NOT!

And to have a pass rushing specialist, that's all we should pay.

To land a guy like Taylor, is a different matter.
I'll go for it straight away!

badboy
06-10-2008, 02:51 PM
My understanding is Colvin had foot injury last season but should be no issue this year. He was cut as said prior posts due to $. If SMith signs him it should be for a reasonable package. I have seen nothing that indicates he is being looked at as a LB, rather a DE to help Mario. Like Vinny said, dynamic player. If healthy he could play both positions.

ChampionTexan
06-10-2008, 03:01 PM
No comparison.

Only that one guy has always been healthy, while the other one ... NOT!

And to have a pass rushing specialist, that's all we should pay.

To land a guy like Taylor, is a different matter.
I'll go for it straight away!

Since Babin has been in the league, Colvin has missed five regular season games due to injury and Babin has missed the exact same number. Colvin missed all five of those games in 2007 (Meaning he played all 16 games in '04, '05, and '06). In 2007 Babin missed 14 games due to being inactive. Seems like a pretty cut and dry issue to me.

76Texan
06-10-2008, 04:24 PM
My bad about the injury issue.
I just hate to see a sequel of Ahman Green with older guys, that's all.
I'm not opposed to the acquisition, only the money, and also I'd like for us to reserve the roster spot for a young player to develop.

ChampionTexan
06-10-2008, 04:54 PM
My bad about the injury issue.
I just hate to see a sequel of Ahman Green with older guys, that's all.
I'm not opposed to the acquisition, only the money, and also I'd like for us to reserve the roster spot for a young player to develop.

The thing that Smith and Kubiak look like they're doing a good job of is limiting the length of time that a bad contract can hurt you. If you look at the Green deal, it's essentially a two year deal, and while that seems like forever when you're living thru and injury plagued year (or two?), it's relatively short in the overall scheme of things. The Jacques Reeves contract was kind of eye-popping when it was first announced (relative to his perceived skill-level), but again, I think it's pretty cap friendly if a couple of years down the road they decide they need to jettison him. It's even more cap-friendly if they don't.

I've developed enough trust for the FO that I believe if they can't do something cap-sensible, they won't do it.

76Texan
06-10-2008, 04:58 PM
The thing that Smith and Kubiak look like they're doing a good job of is limiting the length of time that a bad contract can hurt you. If you look at the Green deal, it's essentially a two year deal, and while that seems like forever when you're living thru and injury plagued year (or two?), it's relatively short in the overall scheme of things. The Jacques Reeves contract was kind of eye-popping when it was first announced (relative to his perceived skill-level), but again, I think it's pretty cap friendly if a couple of years down the road they decide they need to jettison him. It's even more cap-friendly if they don't.

I've developed enough trust for the FO that I believe if they can't do something cap-sensible, they won't do it.
I'm with you!

BornOrange
06-10-2008, 08:36 PM
The Texans need a pass rusher opposite Mario Williams. We all agree on that.

I don't think we have that pass rusher on the roster right now.

Colvin is a proven pass rusher, someone who can do so out of a three-point stance.

All we need out of Colvin is a year or two, so we can find and develop someone else to take his place.

ATXtexanfan
06-10-2008, 09:25 PM

Colvin is a proven pass rusher, someone who can do so out of a three-point stance.

All we need out of Colvin is a year or two, so we can find and develop someone else to take his place.

couldn't agree more

barrett
06-10-2008, 10:54 PM
god, training camp can't get here soon enough!

El Tejano
06-10-2008, 11:50 PM
god, training camp can't get here soon enough!

Neither can Colvin!

badboy
06-11-2008, 12:37 PM

Uh, any idea who? I do not see anyone on team for future. If you are talking about future players through draft or FA, I agree. Not to get ahead of myself but the next draft should wrap up most of our weaker areas if the last two work out as expected. Even if not, I see a DE, FS, OLB and perhaps a CB or LT depending on how those 2 spots are filled this season. We should have a very strong team going into 2009.

JWarren14
06-12-2008, 03:52 PM
From ESPN Insider "Rumor Central"

Don't expect the Colts to pursue signing former Patriots linebacker Colvin, John Clayton writes. The Texans, who reportedly had Colvin in for a visit recently, have the best chance of landing him. The Colts have assembled enough pass rushers that they don?t need Colvin at the moment.
Hampered by a foot injury, the free-agent linebacker started only 10 games for the Patriots last season, registering four sacks. The Texans are viewing Colvin as a possible pass-rushing presence to complement Mario Williams.

I think they are trying to get a contract worked out that benefits both sides. I trust Smith will not sign sign him for any more than he is worth. I would love a one year deal, but I dont see Colvin agreeing to that. Here's to a good contract, a healthy Colvin, and a 2008 season to remember.:party:

BornOrange
06-12-2008, 04:11 PM
Uh, any idea who? I do not see anyone on team for future. If you are talking about future players through draft or FA, I agree. Not to get ahead of myself but the next draft should wrap up most of our weaker areas if the last two work out as expected. Even if not, I see a DE, FS, OLB and perhaps a CB or LT depending on how those 2 spots are filled this season. We should have a very strong team going into 2009.

I really don't think we have that person on our roster right now. Hopefully we can pick up a two-dimensional DE that can play the run and pass opposite Mario in next year's draft, or at least find a pass rusher in the draft or through free agency. If Colvin proves effective this year, we may bring him back next year so we don't have to rush his replacement. Regardless, I would expect to see a long term solution on the roster by 2009.

Rex King
06-12-2008, 08:07 PM
I really don't think we have that person on our roster right now. Hopefully we can pick up a two-dimensional DE that can play the run and pass opposite Mario in next year's draft, or at least find a pass rusher in the draft or through free agency. If Colvin proves effective this year, we may bring him back next year so we don't have to rush his replacement. Regardless, I would expect to see a long term solution on the roster by 2009.

Next year's draft should be good at the top end if the juniors declare (Selvie, Florida; Middleton, Indiana; Evans, Penn State). Hopefully, we'll be drafting somewhere in the twenties, though.

ObsiWan
06-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Not all of our 30-something or near-30 signings have been disasters. N.D.Kalu, Jeff Zgonina, Salaam, Mark Bruener come to mind as solid contributors. The diff is I don't believe they were fishing for big bucks when we picked them up. Colvin on the other hand....

Rex King
06-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Not all of our 30-something or near-30 signings have been disasters. N.D.Kalu, Jeff Zgonina, Salaam, Mark Bruener come to mind as solid contributors. The diff is I don't believe they were fishing for big bucks when we picked them up. Colvin on the other hand....

That's the concern. They haven't done so well with their "bigger" FA signings. I think this is a concern around the league in general, now though, after the disappointments of guys like LeCharles Bentley and Nate Clements. This year, the top free agents were mostly signed by their own team.

That said, with the youth of this team, the defense in particular, I trust that Smith and co. are building for the long term and aren't going to tie up a lot of future cap space in someone with questions about his long-term health. They've probably also learned from their experiences with Green and Moulds.

alphajoker
06-16-2008, 07:43 AM
Looks like he's about to be a Texan...I wonder who gets cut?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5839758.html

Lucky
06-16-2008, 07:57 AM
From the Chroniclink above:
After two weeks of negotiations, the Texans are signing outside linebacker Rosevelt Colvin today.

General manager Rick Smith and agent Kennard McGuire agreed on a deal that will bring Colvin to Houston to become an outside pass rusher opposite Mario Williams.

The Texans are hoping that Colvin, 6-3, 250, can provide another pass rush off the edge that was missing since last season.

Anthony Weaver will start opposite Williams. At this point, the Texans see Colvin as a situational pass rusher who can help solve one of the biggest weaknesses on defense.So we will likely see Mario still switching from the right to left side, depending on whether Weaver or Colvin is in the game. I think Williams showed last season that he could rush the passer from either side, though he has stated a preference to play at LDE.

Props to Rick Smith for making this happen.

TEXANRED
06-16-2008, 08:10 AM
Looks like he's about to be a Texan...I wonder who gets cut?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5839758.html

My guess would be Kalu.

I like Kalu but he wears down as the season progresses. If we are going to be completive down the stretch we are going to need everybody contributing.

I am very excited about this signing. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Colvin not only play OLB but start. When he was in Chicago he was dominant next to Urlacher. Now he plays next to Ryans.

Porky
06-16-2008, 08:12 AM
Just heard the news on the radio!

Whoo hoo!

:fans: :splits:

Lucky
06-16-2008, 08:16 AM
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Colvin not only play OLB but start. When he was in Chicago he was dominant next to Urlacher. Now he plays next to Ryans.
I'd be very surprised to see Colvin at OLB. That was six years and a couple of major injuries ago that he played with Urlacher. In a different style defense than the Texans play, where Colvin rarely was asked to drop back in coverage. I think the Texans will keep Colvin fresh by utilizing him exclusively as a situational pass rusher.

Porky
06-16-2008, 08:18 AM
My guess would be Kalu.

I like Kalu but he wears down as the season progresses. If we are going to be completive down the stretch we are going to need everybody contributing.

I am very excited about this signing. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Colvin not only play OLB but start. When he was in Chicago he was dominant next to Urlacher. Now he plays next to Ryans.

Hmmm, not sure about that one. I am thinking more along the lines of a DE playing on passing downs myself.

dalemurphy
06-16-2008, 08:21 AM
Just heard the news on the radio!

Whoo hoo!

:fans: :splits:

Does everyone realize how much more talented, versatile, and deep this team is than any team we've had?

This has been an amazing off-season!

PHAROAH
06-16-2008, 08:30 AM
About time he signed.

PapaL
06-16-2008, 08:34 AM
Great Team on paper vibes are floating a plenty.

Can't wait for the season to start to see what we REALLY have.

TEXANRED
06-16-2008, 08:38 AM
I'd be very surprised to see Colvin at OLB. That was six years and a couple of major injuries ago that he played with Urlacher. In a different style defense than the Texans play, where Colvin rarely was asked to drop back in coverage. I think the Texans will keep Colvin fresh by utilizing him exclusively as a situational pass rusher.

Hmmm, not sure about that one. I am thinking more along the lines of a DE playing on passing downs myself.

I can accept that. Heck I can could even deal with his 4 1/2 sack shortened season last year when you consider thats 4 1/2 sacks more than our starting DE had last year.

Paging Mr. Manning, Paging Mr. Manning, the Texans Defense would like to have a word with you. And thats Peyton with and E-Y, right?

El Tejano
06-16-2008, 08:43 AM
Aside from money, I am curious why he chose us over Indy.

gary
06-16-2008, 08:51 AM
When the QB of the other team sees RC and MW coming at them I just want to see the look on their faces.

dalemurphy
06-16-2008, 08:52 AM

Because he wants to win championships!

TEXANS84
06-16-2008, 08:52 AM
Huge signing for the Texans. WTG Rick Smith!

Specnatz
06-16-2008, 08:53 AM
My guess would be Kalu.

TexanRed you sorta argued against yourself on this one. If Kalu wears down as the season goes along then having more subsitutions would keep him fresher (A long with other players) throughout the season.

Porky and lucky are right about Colvin being a pass rushing specialist type in my opinion. Since the draft there have been a few who have complained because the Texans did not only address LT, CB, RB and OLB in FA before the draft and during the draft but did not address DE or pass rusher opposite Mario. That is 4 positions they have upgraded versus one they did not, up until now. So for those they have basically called Rick Smith a moron for addressing as many positions as he did but did not address the pass rusher opposite Mario here ya go. Now stop whinning.

Ok now that I got that out there I feel better. This just goes to show that Rick Smith understands what is the weak points of the team and is always trying to address it. Every year we have a list of positions we need to make better and the last 3 years it was a long list after C&C and the crappy drafting factory messed up on so many draft picks. The last two year under which Rick Smith has been the orchestrator shows just how far we have come in just a short time.

Porky
06-16-2008, 08:53 AM

My guess is opportunity. On passing downs, they have Mathis and Freeney on the edges. Where/when does he play there?

PapaL
06-16-2008, 08:56 AM
+1 Rep for Rick Smith.

He's a bad motha - Shut Yo Mouf.

HOU-TEX
06-16-2008, 08:59 AM
My guess is opportunity. On passing downs, they have Mathis and Freeney on the edges. Where/when does he play there?

I was listening to 610 this morning (I usually don't) and Dre said Bob Sanders, Freeney and Harrison might have to start the season on the PUP. Sanders has a shoulder problem. Freeney has a foot situation and Harrison's got 2 bum knees.

Take it for what it's worth, but I will say Dre mentioned that it was breaking news he was just handed at the time.

gary
06-16-2008, 09:06 AM
Do you all think they should start RC next to DR?

TEXANRED
06-16-2008, 09:10 AM
TexanRed you sorta argued against yourself on this one. If Kalu wears down as the season goes along then having more subsitutions would keep him fresher (A long with other players) throughout the season.

Kalu being a sub and wearing down is were I was going with that one. I think as a sub Colvin could bring it all year long and be just as strong at the end as he is in the beginning.

I think that Colvin could be Kalu's replacement. That older veteran guy who has been successful in this league and knows what it takes to win. With Bullman switching to DE, Cochran looked pretty good last year, Weaver, and MW, it would be hard to justify keeping Kalu on the roster.

Texanmike02
06-16-2008, 09:16 AM
Is noone going to complain that this signing will take PT away from our DE in waiting? Sage "The Sackmaster" Rosenfels?

Seriously I love it. Great offseason.

Mike

Yankee_In_TX
06-16-2008, 09:17 AM

I heard had something to do with the timing. But between lack of sleep and studying, my brain is too friend to remember what I heard.

Something like Colts wanted a decision by so and so or Colvin wanted an offer by so and so, and it didn't happen.

Or maybe it was promised playing time....

I'm useless, lol.

PHAROAH
06-16-2008, 10:18 AM
Hey guys what is R. Colvins true Height on 610 Sports Radio they said he was 6'5" I thought he was around 6'3"? If RC foot is healthy that will be huge for Super Mario and it will not be an issue to switch back to DE he had double digit sacks in chicago as a DE.

El Tejano
06-16-2008, 10:19 AM
I still think he is going to help our defense. I hope Kubes shows early what he plans to do with this guy. As for who to cut, well I'm down with both Earl Cochran and Kalu. People need to remember that Kalu backs up Mario's side and he has been productive. Earl is showing alot of promise.

HOU-TEX
06-16-2008, 10:24 AM
Hey guys what is R. Colvins true Height on 610 Sports Radio they said he was 6'5" I thought he was around 6'3"? If RC foot is healthy that will be huge for Super Mario and it will not be an issue to switch back to DE he had double digit sacks in chicago as a DE.

FYI, Colvin was a Linebacker for the Bears. He was a DE for Purdue.

Porky
06-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Bullman, Cochran, or Kalu I would imagine would be under the spotlight, or maybe 2 out of the 3 go. Have to look at the numbers and the entire roster.

Vinny
06-16-2008, 10:26 AM
I'm stoked. He may be the missing piece in our front seven this year....he's good enough to play in space in some packages and can give us a player that makes teams pay for overshifting to Mario in obvious pass rushing situations when he plays hand down.

Insideop
06-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Great Team on paper vibes are floating a plenty.

Can't wait for the season to start to see what we REALLY have.

Yep, I can't wait either! I think the 1st 5 games will tell us alot about this team and where they are going. Even if they win only 2 out of the 1st 5, but play all the games close and fight :aggressive: to the end I think it will tell us alot. JMHO!

El Tejano
06-16-2008, 10:35 AM
I'm stoked. He may be the missing piece in our front seven this year....he's good enough to play in space in some packages and can give us a player that makes teams pay for overshifting to Mario in obvious pass rushing situations when he plays hand down.

I agree with this. I am sure he will be used in more ways than one.

Brando
06-16-2008, 10:46 AM
This signing really has me pumped for the season to start already. I think if we rotate him with Weaver and keep him fresh it's definitely going to help Mario and the pass rush. :fans:

ocd
06-16-2008, 10:47 AM
The complete team is finally forming.

4 and 2 or 5 and 1 in the division this year. Get ready to enjoy your football viewing season!

GuerillaBlack
06-16-2008, 10:54 AM
I'm hibernating until Labor Day.

b0ng
06-16-2008, 11:01 AM
I want to see the numbers that it's taking to get this thing done.

I think that in passing situations he could be the OLB, and he could also be the DE. If somebody like Bulman develops into a decent enough pass rusher then why wouldn't we put Colvin at OLB in very specific situations? 3 guys that can rush the passer (4 if you count Okoye), and all from widely different areas?

I like the signing.

ObsiWan
06-16-2008, 11:36 AM
I want to see the numbers that it's taking to get this thing done.

I think that in passing situations he could be the OLB, and he could also be the DE. If somebody like Bulman develops into a decent enough pass rusher then why wouldn't we put Colvin at OLB in very specific situations? 3 guys that can rush the passer (4 if you count Okoye), and all from widely different areas?

I like the signing.

I find it interesting that no numbers were disclosed.
No salary info. No length of contract info. No bonus info...
Maybe all that will be divulged when the signing actually occurs.

Nawzer
06-16-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm really happy about this signing. I don't know how much the Texans had to pay but even if they had to overpay for him it would be well worth it. He's a guy who will help us win and he brings loads of great experience with him. What's the use of saving up money if we don't win? I think this is the year we have a chance to make some real progress and make a push for the playoffs. I don't think he needs to be the starter to be effective, but I'll let the coaches decide that. So far it's been a real good offseason for us.

Lucky
06-16-2008, 11:43 AM
I think that in passing situations he could be the OLB, and he could also be the DE.
In passing situations, the Texans are usually in a 4-2-5 nickel defense where the 2 LBs are playing a middle zone, or covering a RB out of the backfield. It wouldn't make sense to play Colvin at LB in that defense.

DiehardChris
06-16-2008, 11:46 AM
I find it interesting that no numbers were disclosed.
No salary info. No length of contract info. No bonus info...
Maybe all that will be divulged when the signing actually occurs.

Does that stuff ever come out before the signing is official?

My biggest curiosity is the length of the contract. I can't imagine it's more that two years.

BigBull17
06-16-2008, 11:55 AM
I heard had something to do with the timing. But between lack of sleep and studying, my brain is too friend to remember what I heard.

Something like Colts wanted a decision by so and so or Colvin wanted an offer by so and so, and it didn't happen.

Or maybe it was promised playing time....

I'm useless, lol.

maybe he hates Indy as much as I do? They sicken me.

BigBull17
06-16-2008, 11:57 AM

And the thing he brings that may help us the most. He KNOWS how to win. Hes been there and done that with the best modern team ever. He brings alot leadership wise, even if he doesn't lead.

barrett
06-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Bullman, Cochran, or Kalu I would imagine would be under the spotlight, or maybe 2 out of the 3 go. Have to look at the numbers and the entire roster.

no way Bullman goes. he's young and they are pretty high on him right now. i think young potential wins out over veterans in this situation.

ChampionTexan
06-16-2008, 12:04 PM

My biggest curiosity is the length of the contract. I can't imagine it's more that two years.

I'm 110% in agreement - as long as this is structured to be a short-term deal (2 years), I really don't care how much of McNair's money he's getting.

ObsiWan
06-16-2008, 12:22 PM

probably not
good point

aj.
06-16-2008, 12:42 PM
Then and now.

Close your eyes and imagine the infinitesimally small possibility of the Texans signing Colvin under the previous regime.

Now open your eyes, take a deep breath, smell the gardenias and tell yourself that it was only a bad dream.

barrett
06-16-2008, 12:43 PM
www.nfl.com is reporting that we're holding a press conference at 1 o'clock.

barrett
06-16-2008, 12:47 PM
totally unrelated, i'm watching vince young throw interceptions on nfl network! he sucks! awesome day in football!

also, the texans are supposed to be on tonight at 6 i think for the 32 teams in 32 days thing.

barrett
06-16-2008, 12:56 PM
anyone figure out if we're going to be able to watch this press conference?

NitroGSXR
06-16-2008, 02:11 PM
FYI, Colvin was a Linebacker for the Bears. He was a DE for Purdue.
According to the Texans, he was a DE for the Bears. He did not move over to LB until he signed with the Patriots in 2003.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4370

He was drafted by Chicago in 1999 and started 36 games at defensive end in the Bears’ 4-3 defense. He recorded consecutive 10.5-sack seasons in his final two seasons with Chicago, leading the team in sacks both times.
After signing in New England in 2003, Colvin moved to outside linebacker in the Pats' 3-4 scheme and went on to earn two Super Bowl rings with the team.

Lucky
06-16-2008, 02:22 PM
According to the Texans, he was a DE for the Bears. He did not move over to LB until he signed with the Patriots in 2003.

That's incorrect. Colvin was the Bears starting SAM linebacker in '01-'02. Though he did put his hand down as a DE on passing downs.

2001 Bears/Vikings gamebook (http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/17704/CHI_Gamebook.pdf)

TEXANRED
06-16-2008, 02:25 PM

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4370

Someone over at HT.com is wrong. He played OLB for the Bears.

HOU-TEX
06-16-2008, 03:40 PM
I went and took a gander at a Pats message board and was surprised not one bad thing was said about Rosey. It's obvious from their posts they're glad he didn't go to Indy because of the number of times they play each other. Here are a few posts:

Best of luck to Rosie in Houston. He was a fav of mine, and he played well for us when he was healthy.

I hope he has a nice season for the Texans and helps to vault them to a wild card spot this year.

It's not just simply better than Indy, he now becomes a direct problem for Indy two times a year.

Texans are an up and coming team that will push for a playoff spot this year assuming Johnson can stay healthy the entire year. Had he been last year, I believe they would have had that #6 spot.

Colvin has been nothing but a class act here as far as I am concerned. Too bad he was hampered by injuries, but when he was on the field he got it done. Thanks for the help on two SB wins.

Definitely glad he won't be suiting up for Polian's gang of losers. It's a shame we couldn't work something out to bring him back, but since he's gone, I'm glad it's to a team I have no ill will toward.

Good luck Rosey, sack Peyton a lot!

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=83769

OzzO
06-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Here's Colvin's take (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4370) on it.

...Colvin passed his physical in Houston, and the Texans believe the healthy 30-year-old will excel in their scheme as an edge rusher that can complement defensive end Mario Williams. The team may not use Colvin as an every-down linebacker; instead, he could come in as a situational rusher on passing downs.

"I’ve been cleared for a long time to do any and everything to sort of go out and prepare myself, so going out on the field is not something that I’m limited on," Colvin said. "I just hadn’t had a team that I could do it for, so now that I have an employer, I can go out and try to perform the best I can.”...

At the bottom it notes Texans TV is gonna interview him with some fan questions - email them in if you got 'em.

76Texan
06-16-2008, 03:53 PM
From Fannation.

`Both parties feel like they fit each other,'' Colvin said. ``Hopefully, we can get everything squared away as far as dotting the i's and crossing the t's.''

``My passion is rushing the passer,'' Colvin said. ``It's something I feel like I do well.''

The 30-year-old had 52 1/2 sacks in nine seasons with the Patriots and the Bears. The Texans have discussed the possibility of using him at defensive end as well as linebacker.

``I feel like I'm versatile enough to play a couple of different positions. So whether or not I'll be playing offensive line or quarterback, defensive end or linebacker, it remains to be seen,'' he joked. ``As we try to go forward from here, the most important thing is that I remain healthy. I'll try to get my role and what that's going to be.''

The 6-foot-3, 250-pound Colvin said he is healthy and glad to have a team to work with after being unemployed for almost four months. He hasn't had a chance to get in touch with any of his new defensive teammates, but has chatted with receiver Andre' Davis, with whom he played in New England.

Colvin's agent Kennard McGuire would not release terms of the deal, but when asked if it was a multiyear contract he said: ``I think that you're going to see Rosevelt Colvin here for an extended period.''

He signed with the Patriots in 2003 after back-to-back career highs of 10 1/2 sacks with Chicago, but his first season in New England ended after just two games because of a hip injury. He returned to play three full regular seasons for the Patriots before last year's injury.

Colvin joins a defense that features Williams as well as first-round picks Amobi Okoye and Travis Johnson on the line and 2006 Defensive Rookie of the Year, linebacker DeMeco Ryans. He said the opportunity to start over with a young defense is exciting for him.

``New faces. New situations. New team. Hopefully same old Rosey, which is a guy that goes out works hard and does everything he can to make plays and win games,'' Colvin said. ``Sort of the icing on the cake is the young guys that they have, that they've been able to develop the last couple of years on the defensive side of the ball.''

The signing reunites him with Texans general manager Rick Smith, who recruited him out of high school to play at Purdue. He said Smith had to work a bit harder to get him this time.

``A little more convincing had to come this time around, because I'm 30 years old,'' said Colvin, who is married and has four children. ``I'm at a point in my life where there are other priorities. Back then, it was just me I had to worry about.''

http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/663

D-Frank
06-16-2008, 03:59 PM
hopefully they will experiment with him in TC to see if
he can play on the line effectively. :wild:

Brando
06-16-2008, 04:03 PM
Here's Colvin's take (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4370) on it.

At the bottom it notes Texans TV is gonna interview him with some fan questions - email them in if you got 'em.

From the official message board......

HoustonTexans.com will join newly-signed Houston Texan Rosevelt Colvin on Tuesday to answer fan questions with Texans TV's Brooke Bentley.

Want to know what Colvin thinks about possibly lining up opposite Mario Williams? About the Texans' facilities? More about his relationship with general manager Rick Smith?

Click here to e-mail in your questions, or send them to gotexans@houstontexans.com. Be sure to include your name and where you're from, and check back tomorrow afternoon to see if Colvin answers your question in a video interview on HT.com.

-Nick
LINK (http://boards.houstontexans.com/showthread.php?t=7100)

YoungTexanFan
06-16-2008, 04:04 PM
I'm all for him playing DE and being like a Robert Mathis for us. Playing across from Mario and next to Amobi will take a lot of pressure of him. He should see a lot of single man blocking, and hopefully be able to exploit it.

Texecutioner
06-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Good pick up.

Tailgate
06-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Video up:

http://www.houstontexans.com/index2.html

NitroGSXR
06-16-2008, 04:18 PM
That's incorrect. Colvin was the Bears starting SAM linebacker in '01-'02. Though he did put his hand down as a DE on passing downs.

2001 Bears/Vikings gamebook (http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/17704/CHI_Gamebook.pdf)
Not doubting you or the link but that's only for one game. Seems like someone over at the Texans may have bungled the writeup by stating that he was a DE until 2003 before he converted to LB. It's not just the Chronicle who bungles Texans writeups. The Texans do it too! Funny.

awtysst
06-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Mario-Okam-Amobe-Colvin

Man that looks like a great D-Line!

Second Honeymoon
06-16-2008, 04:22 PM
this should upgrade our flexibility on passing downs in a big way. colvin is a good player and we kept him away from the Colts. The future is now.

Mr PC
06-16-2008, 04:26 PM
any word on the terms of the contract? years/dollars?

Im thinking its a fairly long contract, Colvin said he was looking for a commitment.

TEXANRED
06-16-2008, 04:33 PM
So can we all agree that if this defense looks terrible this year we, as a Texans nation, tar, feather, and set Richard Smith on fire and run him out of town?

dalemurphy
06-16-2008, 04:38 PM
So can we all agree that if this defense looks terrible this year we, as a Texans nation, tar, feather, and set Richard Smith on fire and run him out of town?

YES!

D-Frank
06-16-2008, 04:41 PM

yes, there is no reason why we souldnt be a defense to be reckoned with.
okam will help stop te run, mario, okoye, and colvin should give us legit pass
rush, by midseason molden will have had plenty of experience and dunta should be back. next year, we should do sometin bout the safety position imo

GuerillaBlack
06-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Confirmed.

ObsiWan
06-16-2008, 04:43 PM

Speaking of Richard Smith, I found it interesting (but not surprising) that Colvin didn't say, "I'm soooo looking forward to playing in Richard Smith's vaunted defensive scheme."

76Texan
06-16-2008, 04:43 PM
For NitroHonda:

Colvin has many relatives still living in the area, his dad grew up in Texas City/Galveston and his Mom was born and raised in Marshall (Up North 59, just past I-20), aunts and uncles etc.

He was talking about extra tickets to the games for family members.

HOU-TEX
06-16-2008, 04:52 PM
yes, there is no reason why we souldnt be a defense to be reckoned with.
okam will help stop te run, mario, okoye, and colvin should give us legit pass
rush, by midseason molden will have had plenty of experience and dunta should be back. next year, we should do sometin bout the safety position imo

IMO, there are still a handfull of questions that need answering before we can proclaim ourselves to be "a defense to be reckoned with."

-We still don't know what we have at at least 1 if not both OLB positions.

-Our entire defensive backfield has yet to prove anything.

-Our defensive "bend but don't break" mindset sucks. Whether it be lack of talent or SmithDC.

-Our run defense has been inconsistant at best. Will Okam fix this? Defensive scheme?

-Our inability to cause turnovers.

I'm pumped like the rest of y'all, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

My .02

Allstar
06-16-2008, 04:53 PM
http://http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2008/06/texans_sign_veteran_lb_rosevel_1.html (http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2008/06/texans_sign_veteran_lb_rosevel_1.html)

In this Cron fan blog, they talk as if Covin was guaranteed a starting role. Take it for what it's worth.

Thorn
06-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Colvin will help make this a better defense, but that being said, they have a ways to go before becomming a great defense. I've said it before and I'll say it again, because of the division we are in, we could be a improved team this year and still go 8-8. We have a tough schedule for 2008.

cuppacoffee
06-16-2008, 05:18 PM

Or........we Texan fans can reconsider our collective ability to recognize good football players...:hides:

:coffee:

Ole Miss Texan
06-16-2008, 05:35 PM
any word on the terms of the contract? years/dollars?

Havn't found anything yet, but I found this quote from his agent REALLY interesting. Who really knows what it means at this point though.

Colvin's agent Kennard McGuire would not release terms of the deal, but when asked if it was a multiyear contract he said: "I think that you're going to see Rosevelt Colvin here for an extended period."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8251172/Former-Patriots-LB-will-join-Texans?MSNHPHMA

ObsiWan
06-16-2008, 05:36 PM
Or........we Texan fans can reconsider our collective ability to recognize good football players...:thinking:

:hides:

:coffee:

you need a bigger chair
:D

TEXANRED
06-16-2008, 05:40 PM
you need a bigger chair
:D

No the size of the chair is fine. Now we just need a rope and and I-Beam.:bat:

CloakNNNdagger
06-16-2008, 05:44 PM

Not before giving him a barbed wire enema, of course.:backsout:

ObsiWan
06-16-2008, 05:45 PM
No the size of the chair is fine. Now we just need a rope and and I-Beam.:bat:

LOL
now, now.... no need for violence
well.... not yet

JWarren14
06-16-2008, 05:50 PM
I just checked out Rosey's website: http://www.r59.com/index.php any idea what number him or Meco will be wearing? What I have also been reading is that he was a jerk to the Colts when he played them on the Pats. Its never a bad thing to have a player who hates Indy. Heres to a healthy year Colvin, welcome to H-Town!

J-Russ
06-16-2008, 06:29 PM
http://http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2008/06/texans_sign_veteran_lb_rosevel_1.html (http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2008/06/texans_sign_veteran_lb_rosevel_1.html)

In this Cron fan blog, they talk as if Covin was guaranteed a starting role. Take it for what it's worth.

I agree. Since the Texans told him he would be going right into the starting rotation, it just seems like I would have at least told him to compete for the position. It wouldn't be fair to have the QB situation decided without a healthy competition for the spot, but a LB can go right into the starting rotation. Good post, Mike. -TH

They haven't released the terms of his contract yet. I hope to have it by this afternoon and I'll post them. Since Kubiak/Smith usually don't go after high-priced FA's, I would imagine the contract is reasonable. Again, Colvin was deciding between us and the Colts. The Colts told his agent that he was not guaranteed to start. The Texans told him he would start immediately. I am sure that was a huge factor in his decision. -TH

Question - "My question is, does he compete for the starting SLB spot? Or is he simply a passrusher off the bench?"
Hey, Jeremy. It's been a while. Good to see you're still with us. The coaching staff doesn't want to make that final decision yet. They still want to see where he fits into our lineup at camp. They said he's starting and that's what help lead to him coming here. I am not quite sure where they are going to slot him, though. -TH

question - "just wondering where you heard or saw that colvin was goining to be a starter everything ive been seeing is saying 3rd down pass rusher"
That was part of the negotiation deal. Even if they don't start him, that was one of the reasons why he came here. I went to college (undergrad and grad) school with some people that work for the Texans front office. Again, I would not publish anything that I wasn't sure about. It may not turn out the way I report it, but I can wholeheartedly promise you it's facts if I publish it. I agree with you. I thought he was only going to be a 3rd down rusher and in pre-vent defense scoring situations. I guess the Texans staff are always free and open to change their minds. -TH

I'm not really comfortable starting a 250lbs player at DE. What does this mean for Weaver?

If they meant him starting at SLB, then I feel bad for Diles. The coaches been hyping him up since late last season and even name him starter. And now they're turning away from him? ouch.

Lucky
06-16-2008, 06:43 PM

It's a fan blog, therefore it shouldn't be held to the same scrutiny as the rest of the website. Still, if someone could point to one thing this guy and his "friends" that work for the Texans have gotten right, I might believe that Colvin was guaranteed a starting job.

buddyboy
06-16-2008, 07:32 PM

Our DBs are still suspect. Second year player who may hit his sophmore slump (knock on wood), a rookie, and a free agent who was a nickel back turned number two because of injury.

Not saying that the defense shouldn't be improved...just that...still some work to be done on the defense.

ubecool454
06-16-2008, 07:41 PM
Our DBs are still suspect. Second year player who may hit his sophmore slump (knock on wood), a rookie, and a free agent who was a nickel back turned number two because of injury.

Not saying that the defense shouldn't be improved...just that...still some work to be done on the defense.

You think we should wait at least until a few preseason games before we call the DBs suspect? I doubt Fred Bennett hits a sophomore slump. Fred has all the tools to be as good as dunta. I wouldn't be to hard on Reeves just yet because the Cowboys secondary was bad all around. As far as Moulden, we just give him time to mature...he appears to have all the tools.......I'm just sticking to the saying...In Kubiak and Smith we trust.

ATXtexanfan
06-16-2008, 08:01 PM

don't forget about the offense needing to hold onto the ball, i think both sides have improved though

Marcus
06-16-2008, 08:23 PM

Looking for scapegoats already, are we? :baby:

nero THE zero
06-16-2008, 08:50 PM
It's a fan blog, therefore it shouldn't be held to the same scrutiny as the rest of the website. Still, if someone could point to one thing this guy and his "friends" that work for the Texans have gotten right, I might believe that Colvin was guaranteed a starting job.

Yea, this is the same guy whose "college friends around the NFL" said the Texans were poised to make a big FA signing back in the Spring.

I wouldn't even read his garbage. But, if you do, take it with a grain of salt.

Texanmike02
06-16-2008, 09:00 PM

If the secondary gets burned... I don't know if you can lay that at his feet. Basically a guy who played half of his rookie year, and a 3rd round draft choice who hasn't taken an nfl snap in his life.....

Mike

NitroGSXR
06-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Yea, this is the same guy whose "college friends around the NFL" said the Texans were poised to make a big FA signing back in the Spring.

I wouldn't even read his garbage. But, if you do, take it with a grain of salt.
Are you talking about Thomas Hilton? I appreciate his work as well as ANYONE who takes the time to write about the Texans. Yeah, that includes McClain, Manful, Raley, ESPN, Keith, LZ, TexansChick, NFL.com, HoustonTexans.com, and many others. I still take everything that's been written with a grain of salt. Even the HoustonTexans.com articles. Gameday is all that matters to me. Who cares when gameday is here.

It's just fun reading about the Houston Texans is all. Whoever takes the time to write this stuff gets my appreciation. Includes everyone of you posters here on TexansTalk and other boards.

Garbage or not, it's fun reading about the Houston Texans. I guess what I'm saying is that I really missed football when the Oilers left. I'll never take having a football team in Houston for granted again. Never.

nero THE zero
06-16-2008, 09:08 PM
Are you talking about Thomas Hilton?
Yes

Allstar
06-16-2008, 09:22 PM
You think we should wait at least until a few preseason games before we call the DBs suspect?

You think we should wait at least until a few preseason games before we decide the DB's aren't suspect? The secondary was a major concern last season and as you said, Reeves was a part of another bad secondary, so that's not too much to get excited about. Add a third round rookie CB and it is safe to call our secondary suspect until proven otherwise. Just my opinion, but we are all entitled to our own.

Texanmike02
06-16-2008, 09:34 PM
You think we should wait at least until a few preseason games before we decide the DB's aren't suspect? The secondary was a major concern last season and as you said, Reeves was a part of another bad secondary, so that's not too much to get excited about. Add a third round rookie CB and it is safe to call our secondary suspect until proven otherwise. Just my opinion, but we are all entitled to our own.

Don't get facts get in the way of a good argument. Lets assume Aman Green, Charles Spencer, Drob, and hell Tony Bosseli are all coming back at full strength. Imagine what Bosseli is going to do when he gets to sit out every other play.

Mike

buddyboy
06-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Lets assume Aman Green, Charles Spencer, Drob, and hell Tony Bosseli are all coming back at full strength.

I'd be happy with even one of those coming back at full strength.

eriadoc
06-16-2008, 09:54 PM

Not that I am a fan of Richard Smith, but I am going to have to disagree here. It seems to me that a lot of folks are putting a lot of expectations on a bunch of unproven guys on our defense. We have three players on defense that have proven they are productive, quality players, IMO - Demeco Ryans, Mario Williams, and Dunta Robinson. D-Rob's out until mid-season at best, and realistically, he won't be on his game this season at all. It's the nature of knee injuries. So that leaves Mario and Demeco.

Who do we have in the secondary? Bennett had a good rookie season, and there's reason for optimism, but he's far from proven. There has been a phrase coined for a common phenomenon, dubbed the "sophomore slump". I'm not saying it's going to affect Bennett, but for as many young players as we have, it's bound to hit one or two of our promising guys. Across from Bennett, we have exactly what is unproven - a guy who didn't show well in Dallas, and is thought to have enough raw talent to be coached up to do well in our system. Maybe so, maybe no, but definitely unproven. Faggins, CC Brown, and Glenn Earl, on the other hand, are proven. They are all proven to be mediocre to terrible. Expecting some quantum leap forward at this point would be foolish. We can all hope, but expectation is the wrong word, IMO. At any rate, we have one guy in the secondary that I am optimistic about - Bennett.

Let's talk linebackers. Ryans is developing into the best MLB in the game (I mean exactly that, too). Aside from him, though, we have a bundle of players who are either proven journeymen, or unproven youth. I have high hopes for Adibi, but he's a rookie, and it may take him some time to get up to NFL speed. It may not, but it would be foolish to expect otherwise, I think. Colvin is a good addition, if we're adding him to the LB group, but there are questions there. I'll choose to be optimistic, and say we have a three-down player in Colvin.

D-Line seems like it should be the strength of our team, but think about it. Mario is a beast, we all agree. Okoye disappeared down the stretch, as rookies usually do, so what should we expect from him this year? A sophomore slump? An ascent to stardom like Mario? There are a lot of hopes being placed on an unproven player here, and I'm not Richard Smith is going to have as much to do with this as Franklin will. And I keep seeing all this unbridled enthusiasm for Okam, which I am all on board with. So I hate to be the fly in the ointment here, but a.)he's a rookie, and will probably fade down the stretch if he does well at all, and b.) he's completely unproven at the NFL level. Travis Johnson and Weaver are both proven, but nothing special, IMO. TJ ranks a bit higher in my mind, because he does have a knack for making plays now and again, but Weaver has proven to be a big zero as a Texan. Weaver and Cochran are nice depth, and it would be nice if one made the leap to full-time stud lineman, but I am not sure that's reasonable to expect, either.

Given the number of players that have to deliver on hopes (not expectations) this year, I don't think it's reasonable to assume that Richard Smith has all the tools he needs to succeed, much less be a powerhouse defense. Just looking at the odds tells you that some of those guys won't develop as quickly as hoped, will flat not perform, will have injuries, and/or just struggle as rookies sometimes do. And the odds tell us that some of them will become better players. Which ones make that jump and how big a jump it is will have more to do with our defensive prowess this year than Richard Smith, IMO.

TEXANRED
06-16-2008, 10:03 PM
Looking for scapegoats already, are we? :baby:

Curious, why would I be looking for a scapegoat? Just b/c Richard Smith has been given play makers every year and has four out eleven players that are first round picks, key FA signings such at Demps, Reeves, and now Colvin, doesn't mean that I should expect our defense to perform now does it?

I thank you for offering me your pacifier but I would hate to take it from you.

And thank you for your thoughtful and insightful post.

DocBar
06-16-2008, 11:57 PM
:smiliedance: I can accept that. Heck I can could even deal with his 4 1/2 sack shortened season last year when you consider thats 4 1/2 sacks more than our starting DE had last year.

Paging Mr. Manning, Paging Mr. Manning, the Texans Defense would like to have a word with you. And thats Peyton with and E-Y, right?
I think that's Peyton with a "HOLY CRAP there's some good D's in this division"
Then and now.

Close your eyes and imagine the infinitesimally small possibility of the Texans signing Colvin under the previous regime.

Now open your eyes, take a deep breath, smell the gardenias and tell yourself that it was only a bad dream.
What's a gardenia?
Absotively, posilutely
Speaking of Richard Smith, I found it interesting (but not surprising) that Colvin didn't say, "I'm soooo looking forward to playing in Richard Smith's vaunted defensive scheme."
Ya know, I've only heard oppossing offenses say anything remotely resembling that......only one word is changed.......
IMO, there are still a handfull of questions that need answering before we can proclaim ourselves to be "a defense to be reckoned with."

-We still don't know what we have at at least 1 if not both OLB positions.

-Our entire defensive backfield has yet to prove anything.

-Our defensive "bend but don't break" mindset sucks. Whether it be lack of talent or SmithDC.

-Our run defense has been inconsistant at best. Will Okam fix this? Defensive scheme?

-Our inability to cause turnovers.

I'm pumped like the rest of y'all, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

My .02Dude....Quit crappin on my "run Richard Smith outta town" parade.

Not before giving him a barbed wire enema, of course.:backsout: That's soooo wrong on soooo many levels.

I'm gonna go out on a very small branch and predict that MW sets the single game sack record against the Dolphins. He MAY get it against the Ravens or Lions also.....

buddyboy
06-17-2008, 01:08 AM
Not that I am a fan of Richard Smith, but I am going to have to disagree here. It seems to me that a lot of folks are putting a lot of expectations on a bunch of unproven guys on our defense. We have three players on defense that have proven they are productive, quality players, IMO - Demeco Ryans, Mario Williams, and Dunta Robinson. D-Rob's out until mid-season at best, and realistically, he won't be on his game this season at all. It's the nature of knee injuries. So that leaves Mario and Demeco.

Who do we have in the secondary? Bennett had a good rookie season, and there's reason for optimism, but he's far from proven. There has been a phrase coined for a common phenomenon, dubbed the "sophomore slump". I'm not saying it's going to affect Bennett, but for as many young players as we have, it's bound to hit one or two of our promising guys. Across from Bennett, we have exactly what is unproven - a guy who didn't show well in Dallas, and is thought to have enough raw talent to be coached up to do well in our system. Maybe so, maybe no, but definitely unproven. Faggins, CC Brown, and Glenn Earl, on the other hand, are proven. They are all proven to be mediocre to terrible. Expecting some quantum leap forward at this point would be foolish. We can all hope, but expectation is the wrong word, IMO. At any rate, we have one guy in the secondary that I am optimistic about - Bennett.

Let's talk linebackers. Ryans is developing into the best MLB in the game (I mean exactly that, too). Aside from him, though, we have a bundle of players who are either proven journeymen, or unproven youth. I have high hopes for Adibi, but he's a rookie, and it may take him some time to get up to NFL speed. It may not, but it would be foolish to expect otherwise, I think. Colvin is a good addition, if we're adding him to the LB group, but there are questions there. I'll choose to be optimistic, and say we have a three-down player in Colvin.

D-Line seems like it should be the strength of our team, but think about it. Mario is a beast, we all agree. Okoye disappeared down the stretch, as rookies usually do, so what should we expect from him this year? A sophomore slump? An ascent to stardom like Mario? There are a lot of hopes being placed on an unproven player here, and I'm not Richard Smith is going to have as much to do with this as Franklin will. And I keep seeing all this unbridled enthusiasm for Okam, which I am all on board with. So I hate to be the fly in the ointment here, but a.)he's a rookie, and will probably fade down the stretch if he does well at all, and b.) he's completely unproven at the NFL level. Travis Johnson and Weaver are both proven, but nothing special, IMO. TJ ranks a bit higher in my mind, because he does have a knack for making plays now and again, but Weaver has proven to be a big zero as a Texan. Weaver and Cochran are nice depth, and it would be nice if one made the leap to full-time stud lineman, but I am not sure that's reasonable to expect, either.

Given the number of players that have to deliver on hopes (not expectations) this year, I don't think it's reasonable to assume that Richard Smith has all the tools he needs to succeed, much less be a powerhouse defense. Just looking at the odds tells you that some of those guys won't develop as quickly as hoped, will flat not perform, will have injuries, and/or just struggle as rookies sometimes do. And the odds tell us that some of them will become better players. Which ones make that jump and how big a jump it is will have more to do with our defensive prowess this year than Richard Smith, IMO.

I agree on just about all those points, except I also want to add that Greenwood is also proven and has been solid through the years, even though he gets very little credit.

dalemurphy
06-17-2008, 01:30 AM
How can you evaluate players and coaches in a vacuum? It's Richard Smith's job to get the best out of a player, just as a player is responsible for his own performance.

Can you compare Weaver's productivity under Rick Smith versus his productivity under Mike Nolan in Baltimore and conclude anything? I'm not sure.

Can you say that CC Brown, Bennett, Okoye, Okam, Cochran, Bullman, Diles, Molden, BHarrison, etc... couldn't be better players if they had a different coach? I'm not sure. I do know that Faggins was a better CB before Richard Smith came to town. I don't know that he's the reason why Faggins struggled last year.

However, clearly the team has spent a lot of resources the past 3 years to improve the defense. So, if this defense, after all the efforts on the personnel end the past 3 seasons still ranks near the bottom, clearly Richard Smith will be held accountable.

ocd
06-17-2008, 02:13 AM
This just dawned on me...

Do you guys realize how good our crappy secondary is gonna look this year?

Specnatz
06-17-2008, 07:34 AM

Are you talking about Thomas Hilton? I appreciate his work as well as ANYONE who takes the time to write about the Texans. Yeah, that includes McClain, Manful, Raley, ESPN, Keith, LZ, TexansChick, NFL.com, HoustonTexans.com, and many others. I still take everything that's been written with a grain of salt. Even the HoustonTexans.com articles. Gameday is all that matters to me. Who cares when gameday is here.

It's just fun reading about the Houston Texans is all. Whoever takes the time to write this stuff gets my appreciation. Includes everyone of you posters here on TexansTalk and other boards.

Garbage or not, it's fun reading about the Houston Texans. I guess what I'm saying is that I really missed football when the Oilers left. I'll never take having a football team in Houston for granted again. Never.

Nitro while I agree it is fun to read about the Texans and all, I just would love to have a few facts thrown in with all the crap writing most of these hacts write. TC is the one major exception. Her writing is fun and is ment to be fun, and then she throws in more facts in than these so-called beat writers do. She (Stephanie) trys to let readers know when she is specualting or when it is info coming straight from a source she has with the team or NFL, versus this Thomas Hilton jackass who writes crap and makes it sound as if Kubiack told him. He repeatedly says Colvin will start from and that it was the major factor that got Colvin to sign. Not once did he offer one shred of evidence to support this or who told him this, why? Because he is pulling it out his ass. Anyone who would let a paper or news outlet put their name be put on other fan blogs is a piece of crap in my book and has no balls. TC will not complain or say anything but this piece of crap has his name on all of TC's old blogs. Now while it was the chrons decision, anyone with an ounce of respect and just a hint of a set a balls he would have told them NO.

OK rant off now, sorry that I got my ire up so early but this guy is the most worthless writer in al of Houston and I can not fathom anyone reading or paying attention to him.

HOU-TEX
06-17-2008, 08:42 AM
Nitro while I agree it is fun to read about the Texans and all, I just would love to have a few facts thrown in with all the crap writing most of these hacts write. TC is the one major exception. Her writing is fun and is ment to be fun, and then she throws in more facts in than these so-called beat writers do. She (Stephanie) trys to let readers know when she is specualting or when it is info coming straight from a source she has with the team or NFL, versus this Thomas Hilton jackass who writes crap and makes it sound as if Kubiack told him. He repeatedly says Colvin will start from and that it was the major factor that got Colvin to sign. Not once did he offer one shred of evidence to support this or who told him this, why? Because he is pulling it out his ass. Anyone who would let a paper or news outlet put their name be put on other fan blogs is a piece of crap in my book and has no balls. TC will not complain or say anything but this piece of crap has his name on all of TC's old blogs. Now while it was the chrons decision, anyone with an ounce of respect and just a hint of a set a balls he would have told them NO.

OK rant off now, sorry that I got my ire up so early but this guy is the most worthless writer in al of Houston and I can not fathom anyone reading or paying attention to him.

I agree. This Hilton dude hasn't a clue of what he's talking about. I'd rather not read anything at all than to read false information from a "yes man". I find it hard to believe he's lasted this long.

Eh, I guess there are still some peeps that actually read his crap. :thinking:

Texanmike02
06-17-2008, 09:16 AM
Its funny. I've thought about starting a blog. Not necessarily limited to Texans stats, but just take various questions each week and try to prove them with some validity statistically. The reason I never did, was twofold,

a) 50% of the people believe 90% of statistics are used 75% of the time to tell only 33% of the truth.
b) The more I try to avoid statements like rule a) the less people like what I have to say.

I would say read the guys stuff and take it with a grain of salt. It is like anything else, buyer beware. At the same time, its easy to slam someone for putting something out there, but the guy is at least putting some time into it if only to convey his opinion. I'm not saying is writing is worth a crap. If you don't like it, don't read it, but don't dog the guys doing it for free. Now when some paid hack doesn't do his job.... get the tar and feathers.

Mike

infantrycak
06-17-2008, 10:07 AM
Funny how fans talk about sophomore slumps and coaches talk about the biggest jump in performance coming between years 1 and 2. I'll go with the coaches. Bennett is a perfect example of why there should be a jump rather than a slump. Rookies come in with raw talent and spend most of their first year just learning the playbook and the NFL game/speed. The next off-season they can work on technique, the finer details of the game and conditioning/strength. That's exactly what we are seeing with Bennett getting all the coaching from Ray Rhodes on footwork etc. Okoye clearly hit the rookie wall last year. Dan Riley will have that worked out for him this off-season plus all the technique coaching.

eriadoc
06-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Funny how fans talk about sophomore slumps and coaches talk about the biggest jump in performance coming between years 1 and 2. I'll go with the coaches. Bennett is a perfect example of why there should be a jump rather than a slump. Rookies come in with raw talent and spend most of their first year just learning the playbook and the NFL game/speed. The next off-season they can work on technique, the finer details of the game and conditioning/strength. That's exactly what we are seeing with Bennett getting all the coaching from Ray Rhodes on footwork etc. Okoye clearly hit the rookie wall last year. Dan Riley will have that worked out for him this off-season plus all the technique coaching.

Yet still, there's no disputing that sophomore slumps happen. We can debate the reasons, but they happen. Sometimes due to injury, sometimes due to immaturity, and sometimes just due to something else. I'm not disputing what you say about the coaches, and I generally side with them over a bunch of message board yahoos, but it is observable that sophomore slumps occur.

Texans_Chick
06-17-2008, 10:45 AM

A few thoughts on your rantilicious rant.

1. First of all, TH really didn't want his name on my old blogs. I mean, there's references to wearing skirts and stuff, so I am sure he doesn't want his name on that sort of thing. They wanted him to have the same bookmark as the old blog, so all the FanBlog stuff is one place. There was no way for them to make a header for my old stuff and a new header for his stuff. So having a set or no, it wasn't something he had any control over at all, and he didn't like it either.

2. I appreciate TH as I appreciate any fan of the Houston Texans. It's not like we have so many fans that we should be picking fights with any of them. It's better to focus on the information than the people, but I understand your concerns.

3. As for his information on Colvin, I would put it in the FWIW category. What we know publicly is the following:

1. Colvin wanted assurances that he would have a role in Houston and that he wasn't going to move his family here and it be a temporary thing. He wanted a committment. (In other words, he doesn't want to be the wily vet coming into camp to get cut before the end of the season--even if he gets hurt because he knows how that can derail you despite your best intentions).

2. His agent says he is expected to be here for years to come.

3. It's not like any LBs on the team other than those whose names rhyme with SheDeco Buyins are so awesome that they are ensured of keeping Colvin off of the field.

4. If I were guessing, I do not think even the Texans know exactly what they have and how much they are going to use him. They acquire players without guarantees. And whoever is playing the best and is doing what the coaches want, will get the playing time. The assurances to Colvin I am sure are contractual ones. In other words, you could talk to all the friends that you have with the Texans, but in June 2008, I think that there are very few positions inked on this roster. But in the end, yeah, if he plays to his past, he is likely to see time on the field.

5. As an aside...who thinks that the public Bulman as pass rusher talk was a sort of a negotiating ploy? I've come to think that any time that the Texans talk up a try-hard player, they are either in talks to acquire a player and don't want to overpay, or they are trying to motivate a guy who isn't playing up to his contract.

6. Here's some more thoughts on Colvin (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/06/17/what-does-the-rosevelt-colvin-signing-mean-for-the-houston-texan/) for those who are interested (Nitro has asked me to put more of my FH links up so I am obliging).

Texans_Chick
06-17-2008, 10:49 AM
This just dawned on me...

Do you guys realize how good our crappy secondary is gonna look this year?

Actually no.

I want to see some prove it before I talk much secondary

/wooweee how about that 2005 tandem of Phillip Buchanon - Dunta Robinson? Two first rounders! We have turned the corner! Good thing the other team is wearing black for the opener. GAH MY EYES!!!!! WORST DEFENSE EVAAAAR!!!! THE PAIN THE PAIN!!!!! MUST DRINK UNTIL I FORGET IT ALL!!!! THERE IS NOT ENOUGH ALCOHOL ON THE PLANET!!!! GAAAAAAH!

//flashback

infantrycak
06-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Yet still, there's no disputing that sophomore slumps happen. We can debate the reasons, but they happen. Sometimes due to injury, sometimes due to immaturity, and sometimes just due to something else. I'm not disputing what you say about the coaches, and I generally side with them over a bunch of message board yahoos, but it is observable that sophomore slumps occur.

Sure they happen, but I think they are the exception rather than the rule.

CloakNNNdagger
06-17-2008, 11:04 AM
Could a MOD change the Thread Title to ROOSEVELT COLVIN SIGNED