PDA

View Full Version : Your opinions on Steve Slaton...

Bigbots_02
05-29-2008, 02:36 PM
Just trying to figure out what everyone thinks of our new rookie runningback steve slaton. Im expecting big thinks out of him... maybe not right away because of us having money invested in A.G and we have to give him time to become comfortable and learn the playbook. However, I feel like once he gets familiar with it and is ready he has alot of upside. We can only hope for hime to play like a certain someone that plays in philly now.

Cjeremy635
05-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Just trying to figure out what everyone thinks of our new rookie runningback steve slaton. Im expecting big thinks out of him... maybe not right away because of us having money invested in A.G and we have to give him time to become comfortable and learn the playbook. However, I feel like once he gets familiar with it and is ready he has alot of upside. We can only hope for hime to play like a certain someone that plays in philly now.

Are you him? :spy:

Brando
05-29-2008, 02:44 PM

He was my favorite draft pick. Since our first year(2002) I have wanted a RB that can take it in for a TD everytime he touches the ball and Slaton fills that void.

beerlover
05-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Westbrook is a good comp. he adds a playmaker to the offense, at least a 3rd down situational option for Schaub & Co.

NBT
05-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Slaton is what he is right now, a good 3rd down back/receiver type. Because of his slight size, he needs to get in the weight room and put on some muscle to even be thought of in the same breath with Westbrook.

Vinny
05-29-2008, 02:55 PM
upside is a Clinton Portis/Westbrook type back. Downside is a 3rd down slot player that can't run between the tackles.

infantrycak
05-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Because of his slight size, he needs to get in the weight room and put on some muscle to even be thought of in the same breath with Westbrook.

Westbrook is an inch taller and 6 lbs heavier. Not much difference there and one likely to be eclipsed over the next 18 months.

Brando
05-29-2008, 02:57 PM
upside is a Clinton Portis/Westbrook type back. Downside is a 3rd down slot player that can't run between the tackles.

Downside would equal Reggie Bush.

Bigbots_02
05-29-2008, 02:57 PM
Slaton is what he is right now, a good 3rd down back/receiver type. Because of his slight size, he needs to get in the weight room and put on some muscle to even be thought of in the same breath with Westbrook.

As long as he has a work ethic of a runningback who wants to start, the strength will come in time. Im not to concerned about his size because all good things dont come in big packages... ( although it wouldnt hurt) What he NEEDS to do is learn the playbook and prove his durability.

TexansFanatic
05-29-2008, 02:58 PM

But isn't Gibbs' ZBS renowned for opening up gaping holes between the tackles?

Bigbots_02
05-29-2008, 02:59 PM

LMAO... I couldnt think of anything worse for him right now.

Vinny
05-29-2008, 03:05 PM
But isn't Gibbs' ZBS renowned for opening up gaping holes between the tackles?Draft busts Chris Henry or JJ Arrington may be able to run between the tackles in a Gibbs system but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be replaced by a real running back.

adam
05-29-2008, 03:08 PM

That's about accurate.

TEXANRED
05-29-2008, 03:09 PM

Why did we have to bring Reggie Bush into the conversation?

badboy
05-29-2008, 03:23 PM
Pre draft many had Super Slick going in first round and he dropped as time went by. Many voice apprehension over his size and how it will project in NFL over the pre and regular season. I had too many backs rated ahead of him and my focus was on Forte in 3rd or maybe a second if we got a 2 in a trade. Slaton was not on my list. I saw Jamaal Charles as same type but bigger if we were going RB in lower first due to trade down or a 2nd. JC would have been perfect in ZBS but I really wanted a LT so the first round pick of Brown really suited me. Then I was surprised that Sage did not go for a two. After the trade we got Molden and two of the spots of need were addressed and we got Mr. Slaton as 2nd pick in the third and I can not believe our luck! I think he is perfect for what Gibbs wants and the acquisition of a very fast Duane Brown (5.09) + our even better WR group should eat up yardage. IMO Slaton will not be busting between the tackles straight up the field. The ZBS and Super Slick were made for each other.

Bigbots_02
05-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Pre draft many had Super Slick going in first round and he dropped as time went by. Many voice apprehension over his size and how it will project in NFL over the pre and regular season. I had too many backs rated ahead of him and my focus was on Forte in 3rd or maybe a second if we got a 2 in a trade. Slaton was not on my list. I saw Jamaal Charles as same type but bigger if we were going RB in lower first due to trade down or a 2nd. JC would have been perfect in ZBS but I really wanted a LT so the first round pick of Brown really suited me. Then I was surprised that Sage did not go for a two. After the trade we got Molden and two of the spots of need were addressed and we got Mr. Slaton as 2nd pick in the third and I can not believe our luck! I think he is perfect for what Gibbs wants and the acquisition of a very fast Duane Brown (5.09) + our even better WR group should eat up yardage. IMO Slaton will not be busting between the tackles straight up the field. The ZBS and Super Slick were made for each other.

I was Pro JC myself... I almost thought we would get him in the third but we all saw what happened on pick 73.

alphajoker
05-29-2008, 03:38 PM

Upside would not equal Reggie Bush's contract.

badboy
05-29-2008, 03:40 PM
I was Pro JC myself... I almost thought we would get him in the third but we all saw what happened on pick 73.I was really hoping Charles would be a Texan. It would have brought a lot of attention to Houston nationwide with comparisons between Charles and Young. Pre game chatter prior to Tennessee games twice a year would be huge. Hopefully Slaton will help me to forget what might have been.

ocd
05-29-2008, 04:57 PM
185 - 190lb tailback.

Eat red meat twice per day, take 20 grams of creatine daily, and two protein shakes daily...oh, and hit the weight room three times per week.

Spike
05-29-2008, 05:04 PM
I was really hoping Charles would be a Texan. It would have brought a lot of attention to Houston nationwide with comparisons between Charles and Young. Pre game chatter prior to Tennessee games twice a year would be huge. Hopefully Slaton will help me to forget what might have been.

I am a UT fan and always liked Charles. I would have been happy to see him as a Texan, but in all honesty his tendancy to put the ball on the ground really scared me. He was much better in the second part of last season, but he was the one player that made me hold my breath every time he touched the ball. I don't know how Slaton compares...but Charles literally has world-class speed.

ATXtexanfan
05-29-2008, 05:29 PM
i didn't think charles was that much faster than slaton, loved the pick after addressing cb and LT. i'm just glad we finally got a gamebreaker in the backfield. charles would have been nice for all the heartbroken UT fans (VY) but i really think okam will give you guys a player to hang your hat on.

The Pencil Neck
05-29-2008, 05:53 PM
185 - 190lb tailback.

Eat red meat twice per day, take 20 grams of creatine daily, and two protein shakes daily...oh, and hit the weight room three times per week.

Hell, 4x. 2 max effort days and 2 dynamic effort days. Then GPP on 2 of the off days: sled dragging, tire flipping, parachute work, etc.

Brando
05-29-2008, 06:47 PM
Upside would not equal Reggie Bush's contract.

Exactly and using a 1st rounder on him.

b0ng
05-29-2008, 06:51 PM
I wasn't very big on Steve Slaton before the draft because I thought we would miss out on him. I figured he would go late second early 3rd and we would be SOL.

Once we've drafted, I did a little looking, and he's a homerun threat, but he does not look as big or menacing as I would like. People keep talking about him contributing to the PR/KR game, but I wonder how, as JJ has the punts and it seems as though Ninja Davis has the kicks.

I think that if he's able to line up in the slot, or in the backfield and be productive in either, then he's a very good pickup. '

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but, I don't think that he's going to break into the "featureback" role that we are all hoping for.

threetoedpete
05-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Well if I see the guy on special teams, and I don't mean touching the ball, but tackling and blocking, fighting for PT...then my opinion of him will elevate. Not question of size with him. It's a question of heart. I mean I wanna know if the guy who out weighs him by eighty pounds is one step away from turning MS into hamburger meat, does this guy have the will to stick his nose in there and stop it. Or will he conveniently drop his head and miss. Can't measure heart.

nunusguy
05-29-2008, 07:20 PM
Why did we have to bring Reggie Bush into the conversation?

Except for a Heisman trophy and a girlfriend with a really big can, we got Reggie Bush or a clone thereof on the cheap. That's why.

Corrosion
05-29-2008, 07:36 PM
upside is a Clinton Portis/Westbrook type back. Downside is a 3rd down slot player that can't run between the tackles . Kinda like Reggie Bust without the $54 million contract.

Fixed

:spit:

ocd
05-30-2008, 01:45 AM
Hell, 4x. 2 max effort days and 2 dynamic effort days. Then GPP on 2 of the off days: sled dragging, tire flipping, parachute work, etc.

I get the impression you're no "pencil neck"!

I was just trying to get him to gain 15 to 20lbs...you're looking to turn him into a fullback with 600 bench, no shirt!

BigBull17
05-30-2008, 07:25 AM
I get the impression you're no "pencil neck"!

I was just trying to get him to gain 15 to 20lbs...you're looking to turn him into a fullback with 600 bench, no shirt!

All I care about is durability. I dont want him to bulk up too much and lose a step. He is what he is, a guy who is gonna run the ball 6-8 times, and catch 4-6 passes a game. Maybe. This is the day of RB by committee. You need a average RB, a big pounder back, and a speed RB/slot WR/3rd down back. Its the way of the game now.

MojoMan
05-30-2008, 07:41 AM
All I care about is durability. I dont want him to bulk up too much and lose a step. He is what he is, a guy who is gonna run the ball 6-8 times, and catch 4-6 passes a game. Maybe. This is the day of RB by committee. You need a average RB, a big pounder back, and a speed RB/slot WR/3rd down back. Its the way of the game now.

Excellent post on running backs.

There are still a lot of people who want to spend a high first round pick on a running back. But I agree with what you said above, which means we need several running backs who can play every game.

And you are spot-on regarding the durability. The unfortunate truth is that playing running back in the NFL is hazardous to your health. Running back, on the average, have very short NFL careers.

I hope Steve Slaton plays well for the Texan's for many years to come. If he does, it is probably because the coaches have used him in approximately the manner you have recommended.

maddogmrb
05-30-2008, 07:47 AM
Seems to have upside potential if used correctly in the pros. I think he slid in the draft because of his size and he seemed to be injured fairly often in college. We have enough injury-prone RBs in our history and I hope he can overcome it.

:texflag:

Vinny
05-30-2008, 08:20 AM
one reason Portis slipped in the draft was his lack of prototype bulk but he was a beast in Denver and every fan on every team besides Denver all lambasted their teams for passing on him once he broke out big in Denver...but he wasn't 200 pounds when drafted either. Westbrook had the same story...hopefully we have a player closer to them and further away from recent smallish draft busts JJ Arrington (Cardinals 2nd round pick) and Chris Henry (Titans 2nd round pick)

badboy
05-30-2008, 08:39 AM
I'm hopeful the Texans are starting to have a team that does not have to throw a player at a "main guy" role such as Dommanick Davis/Williams. DDW did well as we all know but came back too soon from injury IMO. In regards to RB, WR and Oline where we have had significant injuries in past, we will have better options now. Love em or hate em, Dallas back in the day, had 2nd teamers that could step into starter role and do very well.

Toro59
05-30-2008, 09:02 AM
I would like to see him be are version of Maurice Jones-Drew. Does anyone know how the compare height and weight wise?

Honoring Earl 34
05-30-2008, 09:04 AM
I think Slade was kinda like a bling pick . You really don't need any bling but it makes you look better . He's a change of pace back with great excelleration and vision .

If we were a 4-12 team , I'm not sure we take him cause if you have a ratty suit ... you don't need the bling .

Hooston Texan
05-30-2008, 09:10 AM
Agreed on the short lifespan of top RBs. If Slaton can be productive with getting 10-12 touches a game in the offense, then this was a very useful pick. Now, he could follow the Tiki Barber career path and add sufficient bulk to become an every-down back, but that's a tough trick to pull off.

Frankly, I'm not sure I want an elite, every-down RB. They are too expensive and break down too quickly. Since the end of the Steeler dynasty 30 years ago, only seven teams featuring an in-their-prime superstar RB won Superbowls: 3 by Emmitt Smith, 2 by Terrell Davis and one each by Marshall Faulk (not your typical RB by any stretch, but certainly a star) and Marcus Allen. Jerome Bettis and Walter Payton were far past their primes when they got their rings. Of those 7 wins, only Allen's and Faulk's came without the benefit of a first-ballot Hall of Famer at QB.

If Slaton manages to become a star every-down RB, I say we immediately trade him to a team dumb enough to pay dearly for such a player. Otherwise, if he can fit well into a productive RB ensemble without putting up huge individual numbers, the pick will be an unqualified success in my opinion.

MojoMan
05-30-2008, 09:12 AM
If Slaton manages to become a star every-down RB, I say we immediately trade him to a team dumb enough to pay dearly for such a player. Otherwise, if he can fit well into a productive RB ensemble without putting up huge individual numbers, the pick will be an unqualified success in my opinion.

Really clever thinking. Positive rep for you.

nunusguy
05-30-2008, 09:25 AM
Frankly, I'm not sure I want an elite, every-down RB. They are too expensive and break down too quickly.
Bingo ! And as one of my favorite posters on this Board said awhile back -
"backs are a dime a dozen" anyway.
But really there's so many talented young athletes coming out of college
football every year who have the ability and desire to run the ball in the NFL, there's no need to use a real high pick on one of them when other positions like CB, DLine, and OTackle are so much more difficult to fill with capable players.

badboy
05-30-2008, 09:27 AM
I think Slade was kinda like a bling pick . You really don't need any bling but it makes you look better . He's a change of pace back with great excelleration and vision .

If we were a 4-12 team , I'm not sure we take him cause if you have a ratty suit ... you don't need the bling .If the bling can get you a nice date to the prom (play offs) the bling will be worth it.

Honoring Earl 34
05-30-2008, 09:29 AM
If the bling can get you a nice date to the prom (play offs) the bling will be worth it.

That's true but bling with no tux and a beat up car gets you a date with your cousin ... right Bill .

badboy
05-30-2008, 09:35 AM
That's true but bling with no tux and a beat up car gets you a date with your cousin ... right Bill .We had no tux and a beat up Carr for years, but it's all good now! I guess AJ was our bling in the past.

Honoring Earl 34
05-30-2008, 09:39 AM
We had no tux and a beat up Carr for years, but it's all good now! I guess AJ was our bling in the past.

Well Gibbs is in charge of the limo . We have a new driver in Schaub to decide if and when you use the differeent blings .

barrett
05-30-2008, 09:42 AM
woohoo!!! we're getting laid this year!

Honoring Earl 34
05-30-2008, 09:43 AM

ALL SEASON ?

badboy
05-30-2008, 09:51 AM
woohoo!!! we're getting laid this year!Just to use your (ahem) analogy, does that mean playoffs or super bed (er bowl)?

76Texan
05-30-2008, 11:15 AM
Well, when I think of Steve Slaton, I think of Tony Dorsett. (Not saying that I expect he can mirror the NFL career of Dorsett.)

It's good that the fans don't put too much expectation on the young man. That way he can slowly learn the pro game, as he's an underclassman.

I think the questions about his ability to run between tackles, his blocking skill, his heart, his injuries will be answered.
He's a good fit for the Texans, IMO.
And he should become a contributor sometimes this year, depending upon his progress.

I thought the Mountaineers line didn't look so hot last year. And I did not particularly agree with how the Mountaineers conduct their running game, there just wasn't enough carries to go around among White, Slaton, Divine, and Schmitt.

Haven't got time to review many games yet, but I will. For the moment, I just found this today (I'm sure many have seen this, but it was new to me):

http://www.battleredblog.com/2008/5/6/476812/steve-slaton-an-insider-s

ObsiWan
05-30-2008, 12:15 PM

QFT

to get anything beyond 3rd dn/pass catching capabilities will definitely be "gravy".

he was not drafted to be a workhorse. What he brings is speed. The "between the tackles" work will be handled by two of the four other RBs currently in camp.

ObsiWan
05-30-2008, 12:27 PM
Agreed on the short lifespan of top RBs.

Frankly, I'm not sure I want an elite, every-down RB.

They are too expensive and break down too quickly.

QFT
(see Shaun Alexander or Ahman Green)

Specnatz
05-30-2008, 12:52 PM
Agreed on the short lifespan of top RBs. If Slaton can be productive with getting 10-12 touches a game in the offense, then this was a very useful pick. Now, he could follow the Tiki Barber career path and add sufficient bulk to become an every-down back, but that's a tough trick to pull off.

Frankly, I'm not sure I want an elite, every-down RB. They are too expensive and break down too quickly. Since the end of the Steeler dynasty 30 years ago, only seven teams featuring an in-their-prime superstar RB won Superbowls: 3 by Emmitt Smith, 2 by Terrell Davis and one each by Marshall Faulk (not your typical RB by any stretch, but certainly a star) and Marcus Allen. Jerome Bettis and Walter Payton were far past their primes when they got their rings. Of those 7 wins, only Allen's and Faulk's came without the benefit of a first-ballot Hall of Famer at QB.

While I agree with most of what you said, Payton still was a very good back, granted the defense was more responsible for the SB but Jim McMahon was no superstar QB that is for sure.

OK now back to the RB, I recall heading into the draft people taking sides on whom they wanted with many liking either Mendenhall or Stewart. I was one who really does not want a RB in the first round unless it is at the end of the first because of the team having so many needs and the ability to find very good quality backs in rounds 2 and 3. Granted we have not had many 2nd round picks but that is not with standing. Look at the production of the backs in the league now compared to where drafted and beginning salary of there first contract which is usually 5 years in drafted in the first 3 rounds.

Contract size + production = worth. Everyone mentions bush in regards to his huge contract and how it is not worth it for a change of pace back. Look at Benson in Chicago and Williams in Tampa, both top 5 picks and neither one is living upto the contracts they got with the production. It is just not finacialy responsible to draft a RB in the top 20. Sure you may get a Peterson but the jury is still out on him as far as durability goes. McFadden split time at Ark with Jones so who knows how that will translate. A lot of colleges are going to multiple backs now as well to keep guys fresher and more productive, especially if the have the horses to do so.

Carr Bombed
05-30-2008, 01:21 PM

What about Jamal Lewis......the guy only toted the rock over 300 times and put up 1300+ rushing yards during his rookie season, with Trent Dilfer as QB he was pretty much the main cog on offense and was the force that made that offense go.

ChampionTexan
05-30-2008, 02:08 PM

As long as that's different than getting screwed, I'm all for it!

Honoring Earl 34
05-30-2008, 02:12 PM

I think laid is more pleasant . It does'nt involve jail or a gas pump .

Specnatz
05-30-2008, 02:31 PM
I think laid is more pleasant . It does'nt involve jail or a gas pump .

or a night club where guys dance with each other without there shirts on.

Honoring Earl 34
05-30-2008, 02:33 PM
or a night club where guys dance with each other without there shirts on.

You're only getting screwed if you don't like it .

76Texan
05-30-2008, 04:15 PM
The more I see of Slaton, the more encouraging I get.
Reviewed two and a half games so far: Cinn, USF and Rutgers.

He can always learn more blocking, but he's not a bad blocker by any mean.
In fact, I think he's rather decent at the task. Not afraid to go straight at a LB or even a DE.

I've seen him take a straight hit or a side hit at a DE 5 times already and he wasn't pancaked anything like that. He wasn't even on the ground in any shape or form.

And as I mentioned last year, I don't think there should be any concern about him running between tackles. He's at least as decent as Walker or Lundy up the gut. IMO, he's better.

Some website says that he spent too much time in the backfield, I think it's an overstatement. The fact is that the O-line is not that strong. Many times, there's just no hole so either he had to wait a bit, or cut back to the outside. But when he needs to, he can lower his shoulder and not leaving yard on the field.

You definitely don't want any part of the Mountaineers' center.
At least five bad snaps already in just 2-1/2 games. One result in a high exchange between the QB and the RB, Slaton didn't get it cleanly, actually he did not have posession of the ball, hence a fumble.

He doesn't look as natural lining up in the slot or as a flanker or a split end. Not enough reps to learn how to get separation from the DB, I imagine.

But he's pretty good at positioning himself for the screen pass out of the backfield. It won't be easy to catch him a dead duck like we saw with Lundy a few times.

I learned that his wrist injury is fall from an akward fall. And the hamstring, that goes with any back. So there's no concern of an injury-prone guy.

That's pretty much what I have to report at the moment. :fans:

TexanBacker93
05-30-2008, 06:00 PM
I like the potential SS brings, but it's too early to grade him. If he stays healthy, if he gets opportunities, if he holds onto the ball, if he picks up the blitz, if he hits the right holes, if he can catch the ball in the flat, if he makes one cut and goes, if he....

These are just things to say about him these are things that every rookie RB has to answer. There are no guarantees when drafting a RB. That's why I think we won't see a day 1 RB as long as Kubiak is coaching here.

Ultimately, my gut feeling is he will be a great change of pace guy that can cause the defense to make adjustments. I like the thought of having him split out with the Andres and Jacoby. That's some hardcore track burning.

YoungTexanFan
05-30-2008, 06:59 PM
Slaton has plenty of issues to work out before anyone should heap high expectation on him. I was a big fan of the pick where we got him. I was never a fan for Forte, have consistently bashed A. Green (check any post of mine. Ever.), and have been saying we could use a change of pace RB for a few years now.

Slaton is a speed back pure and simple. He takes some big hits, but the one thing that really pisses me off about Slaton is that his legs stop moving after a hit. He goes down too eaisly to make a difference at this level right now. He has great hips which leads to excellent lateral movement and cutting ability. I don't like how erratic his arms can get on runs, especially down the side line. He pumps his arms too much for my taste at the moment, though the ball seems to stay tucked properly for what it's worth. He has a slight history with injuries as well.

Right now, I don't think he will be active for the first game. I really like Slaton's potential, but he isn't there right now. By the end of the year, I'd look for A. Green to miss about 9 games conservatively, and Slaton to get about 4-6 carries a game with about 1-2 screen passes. I do not expect him to honestly compete for a return job. He simply isn't better at it than what we currently have.

TEXANRED
05-30-2008, 07:06 PM

I think this year we will be considered the top and not the bottom.

NBT
05-30-2008, 08:08 PM
QFT

to get anything beyond 3rd dn/pass catching capabilities will definitely be "gravy".

he was not drafted to be a workhorse. What he brings is speed. The "between the tackles" work will be handled by two of the four other RBs currently in camp.

....But even so, Slaton wants to eventually be the main guy, ala Westbrook. So my point was (and it is true for most rookies, not just Slaton), he needs to get some more muscle so he can better take the hits he will get in the NFL. As for him being a decent blocker, that's fine for college, but these guys are bigger and faster, so he will need to adjust his game to cope with it.

SOLIS
05-31-2008, 01:06 AM
Sup yall - I did some extensive research on Slaton for a couple of pieces at Battle Red Blog (http://www.battleredblog.com). I think he's going to make an impact as a rookie, but should really come into his own with a couple of years of experience.
-
I spoke with John Antonik, WVU's Director of New Media, and WVU football's beat writer. He said that Steve bulked up in the offseason to try and impress NFL scouts, but it backfired. He lost some of his straight line speed. He's been working hard in the offseason to keep the extra weight and regain that step.
-
In his sophomore season, he rushed for over 1700 yards. Rick Trickett, the then offensive line coach, copied Alex Gibbs zone blocking scheme down to the letter. In other words, Steve can run in the zone spread with his eyes closed. Apparently, Chris Brown also ran in a similar system in Colorado.
-
So - with Myers and Gibbs bring the other linemen up to speed, and with Brown and Slaton already familiar with the schemes, I expect an overnight improvement in the run game. And that ain't the kool-aid talkin.

adam
05-31-2008, 01:18 AM
Sup yall - I did some extensive research on Slaton for a couple of pieces at Battle Red Blog (http://www.battleredblog.com). I think he's going to make an impact as a rookie, but should really come into his own with a couple of years of experience.
-
I spoke with John Antonik, WVU's Director of New Media, and WVU football's beat writer. He said that Steve bulked up in the offseason to try and impress NFL scouts, but it backfired. He lost some of his straight line speed. He's been working hard in the offseason to keep the extra weight and regain that step.
-
In his sophomore season, he rushed for over 1700 yards. Rick Trickett, the then offensive line coach, copied Alex Gibbs zone blocking scheme down to the letter. In other words, Steve can run in the zone spread with his eyes closed. Apparently, Chris Brown also ran in a similar system in Colorado.
-
So - with Myers and Gibbs bring the other linemen up to speed, and with Brown and Slaton already familiar with the schemes, I expect an overnight improvement in the run game. And that ain't the kool-aid talkin.

Good post. Knowing the system will only accelerate Slaton's development, which will do nothing but good for our running game. This missing cog, since the loss of Davis, has been a back with quick feet that can also be a threat in the passing game. If he should develop correctly, Slaton will fill this void.

76Texan
05-31-2008, 01:50 AM
Now, that is some lively football discussion, and I really like it! :fans:

ubecool454
05-31-2008, 03:37 AM
If Tiki Barber could run between the tackles I think Slaton can too. I am sure Kubiak and co. will know just what his limitations and strengths are and go from there. I think we have a faster version of Tiki Barber.:fans:

edo783
05-31-2008, 08:14 AM
I think we have a faster version of Tiki Barber.:fans:

That will be great and hopefully he doesn't try using all large words to impress folks in interviews and wind up sounding like a dork.

barrett
05-31-2008, 11:35 PM
i'd be remiss if i didn't agree indubitably.

Corrosion
06-01-2008, 04:07 AM
Found an interesting piece on Slaton at PFW.

Transition to Texans' offense could be a smooth one for RB Slaton

Texans rookie RB Steve Slaton starred running behind zone blocking at West Virginia, so he is familiar with elements of Houston's offense, which also features a zone blocking scheme. "Once you see something, you commit to it," Slaton told PFW. "Itís a 100 percent full-go. Thereís really not going to be too many cuts (for a running back to make)." Slaton, who is likely to compete for carries as a backup in his rookie season, adds a needed dose of speed to a Texans backfield that lacked it last season. Slaton told PFW he has taken well to the Texans' offense, which is modeled after the Broncos' attack that Texans head coach Gary Kubiak ran as Denver's offensive coordinator. "At West Virginia (under then-head coach Rich Rodriguez), a lot of the tape we watched was Denver film," Slaton told PFW. "Running the zone for three years, I think thatís a great transition for me."

So I dug up a few Youtube video's of Slaton .... Mainly loking to see how he did running between the tackles .... After looking at some of them I'm somewhat impressed at how well he fits the ZBS . Take a look at the second 52yard TD Vs. Georgia. The LB was out of position and he made the defense pay for it with one quick cut .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xx3VzMMU3g

The next video is the first 52 yarder on a draw play . Another one cut and get downhill run . Made a guy miss and was off to the races .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwEEGmX4IwU

There are a couple others that showcase him catching the ball pretty well .
I think if this guy can pick up the blitz he will see a lot more action this season than a lot of us expect of a 3rd round rookie.

TEXANRED
06-01-2008, 09:14 AM
Found an interesting piece on Slaton at PFW.

So I dug up a few Youtube video's of Slaton .... Mainly loking to see how he did running between the tackles .... After looking at some of them I'm somewhat impressed at how well he fits the ZBS . Take a look at the second 52yard TD Vs. Georgia. The LB was out of position and he made the defense pay for it with one quick cut .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xx3VzMMU3g

The next video is the first 52 yarder on a draw play . Another one cut and get downhill run . Made a guy miss and was off to the races .

There are a couple others that showcase him catching the ball pretty well .
I think if this guy can pick up the blitz he will see a lot more action this season than a lot of us expect of a 3rd round rookie.

I really don't know much about Slaton but after watching those videos it appears that he has a good second gear, good down field vision, sets up his blocks well, and doesn't go down after first contact.

I don't know how Slaton fell so far down the draft boards. Maybe its a maturity thing.

Corrosion
06-01-2008, 09:46 AM
I really don't know much about Slaton but after watching those videos it appears that he has a good second gear, good down field vision, sets up his blocks well, and doesn't go down after first contact.

I don't know how Slaton fell so far down the draft boards. Maybe its a maturity thing.

Thats pretty much the same impression I came away with .... Those are the reasons I think he will see a lot of playing time . His ability to catch the ball out of the backfield is going to be a big part of that . As long as he can hold onto the ball and pick up the blitz (yeah , those things) he will be a steal in the 3rd round.

As for how he fell so far in the draft ... There were some highly rated guy's in front of him . Here's a list of the RB's taken before Slaton .

Mcfadden
Stewart
Jones
Mendenhall
C.Johnson
Forte'
Rice
K.Smith
J.Charles

I was really hoping that Ray Rice would fall to them but he was gone . I think Rice is going to be a very good NFL player . Maybe not the talent of McFadden but he can carry a load . There will be a few teams that will regret passing on him ....

Lucky
06-01-2008, 10:10 AM
As for how he fell so far in the draft ... There were some highly rated guy's in front of him...
And most of the backs taken ahead of Slaton were bigger. Slaton's not a 20+ carries/game back. And the Bears & Lions, among others, were looking for an everydown back. I would say Slaton compares to NFL backs like Jerious Norwood, Leon Washington, and to be very optimistic, Brian Westbrook. And the 3rd-4th rounds are where these RBs were selected.

Vinny
06-01-2008, 11:08 AM
And most of the backs taken ahead of Slaton were bigger. Slaton's not a 20+ carries/game back. And the Bears & Lions, among others, were looking for an everydown back. I would say Slaton compares to NFL backs like Jerious Norwood, Leon Washington, and to be very optimistic, Brian Westbrook. And the 3rd-4th rounds are where these RBs were selected....and for much the same reasons that Clinton Portis fell to the Broncos at 51.

SOLIS
06-01-2008, 11:09 AM
The beauty of picking up a back like Slaton (http://http://www.battleredblog.com/2008/4/28/184253/623) is that he adds a much needed dimension to our offense.
-
In other words, I like the different looks we can give a defense on a 3rd and 6. A back like Slaton can give a linebacker who draws his assignment fits. Add that to our rock solid receiving corps and a TE who can run drag routes over the middle, and you have the makings of dynamic offense.
-
I think we're in for some good times people.

Vinny
06-01-2008, 11:20 AM
a really good hype video with Slaton with some great camera angles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUgvCtO_OME&NR=1

SOLIS
06-01-2008, 11:54 AM

That's a badass clip. One of the best I've seen.

CloakNNNdagger
06-01-2008, 02:59 PM

After watching that great clip, I noticed this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ5I2HVWlkk&feature=related

Both of these clips demonstrate to me some interesting observations. Stanton's cut on a dime ability at high speed is unreal. He has an uncanny ability to cut through and slip by defenders virtually untouched, both outside the tackles and inside. When going between the tackles, he seems to disappear in traffic, then miraculously emerge untouched. I have this gut feeling that, unlike Bush, his between the tackles value may be significantly underestimated...........as is his potential carry numbers.

The Pencil Neck
06-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Stanton's cut on a dime ability at high speed is unreal. He has an uncanny ability to cut through and slip by defenders virtually untouched, both outside the tackles and inside. When going between the tackles, he seems to disappear in traffic, then miraculously emerge untouched. I have this gut feeling that, unlike Bush, his between the tackles value may be significantly underestimated...........as is his potential carry numbers.

That's what I'm hoping but I'm afraid I'm going to jinx something if I say anything.

edo783
06-01-2008, 03:32 PM
That's what I'm hoping but I'm afraid I'm going to jinx something if I say anything.

I know the feeling!

ocd
06-01-2008, 05:27 PM
After watching that great clip, I noticed this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ5I2HVWlkk&feature=related

Both of these clips demonstrate to me some interesting observations. Stanton's cut on a dime ability at high speed is unreal. He has an uncanny ability to cut through and slip by defenders virtually untouched, both outside the tackles and inside. When going between the tackles, he seems to disappear in traffic, then miraculously emerge untouched. I have this gut feeling that, unlike Bush, his between the tackles value may be significantly underestimated...........as is his potential carry numbers.

I just watched that one too. I can only imagine Gibbs' expression when he heard we got Slaton. He may be a little light in weight but, GOOD LORD, he's a threat every time he touches the ball.

So let's say the O line performs exceptionally well under Gibbs expert tutelege, this guy will have the highest YPC average in the league imo. What a BURST of insta-speed!!!!!

edo783
06-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Those are some nice clips (not particularly good camera work/video quality), but one thing that jumped out to me was that ~90% of the time, he carried the ball in his left hand whether he was running down the left side or the right side of the field. NFL guys will pick up on that and be looking to strip it if he is holding it in the inside of the field arm. To say that he has some acceleration would be an understatement. I'm going to assume he wont blow past NFL guys that quickly, but he certainly has some jets. Looked like he was willing and able to take a hit and to take the ball in traffic through the line. If he can hang on to the ball, he should be exciting.

Carr Bombed
06-01-2008, 07:06 PM
but one thing that jumped out to me was that ~90% of the time, he carried the ball in his left hand whether he was running down the left side or the right side of the field. NFL guys will pick up on that and be looking to strip it if he is holding it in the inside of the field arm.

He had a wrist injury that didn't allow him to grip the ball with his right hand.....

I read that Steve played with an injured wrist in 2006. What can you tell me about the injury (how/when it happened) and were there any lingering effects during the 2007 season?

The injury actually occurred during his freshman year against Connecticut in 2005 and it wasnít corrected until after his sophomore season in the winter of 2007. I recall Steve saying it was like playing with one hand tied behind his back. He actually carried the ball in his left arm the entire season even on running plays to the right because he didnít have the strength in his wrist to properly secure the ball. Yet the wrist didnít affect him a great deal in the passing game because he wound up catching 27 passes.

After the surgery the wrist has not been a problem whatsoever.

Carr Bombed
06-01-2008, 07:11 PM
And as far as the incredible burst of speed y'all are talking about from that clip.....almost all of those highlights were from his freshman & sophomore seasons, during his junior year he lost a little burst after he packed on some bulk, supposedly he's working on getting his speed back to the form it was during his freshman and sophomore seasons. I don't really care though, because he's fast enough as is, and any added speed would just be a bonus.

To me, Steve Slaton's biggest gift is his acceleration, he gets from 1st to 5th gear in a split second......if there's a hole, he's going to have the "get up" to get through it way before it closes.

ATXtexanfan
06-01-2008, 08:20 PM
...and for much the same reasons that Clinton Portis fell to the Broncos at 51.

couldn't agree more, nice you tube find. okam, slaton, and adibi will all be steals on two years

TexanBacker93
06-01-2008, 09:25 PM
I know how much I look forward to June and July with the cool weather here and all. After watching Steve Slaton video clips and reading articles about Mario being even more unblockable and Demeco ready to step up and be a leader on the field I think I'm ready to skip ahead to August and get this season going. :fans:

SOLIS
06-01-2008, 09:35 PM
He had a wrist injury that didn't allow him to grip the ball with his right hand.....

Mr. Antonik gave me so much useful information with no hesitation. Steve was a huge fan favorite at WVU - his career was so well documented, he was by far the easiest of the seven players I profiled at BRB. I think Adibi would be a close second.

Carr Bombed
06-01-2008, 10:14 PM
Mr. Antonik gave me so much useful information with no hesitation. Steve was a huge fan favorite at WVU - his career was so well documented, he was by far the easiest of the seven players I profiled at BRB. I think Adibi would be a close second.

Yeah, that was a good peice, thanks for the interview

Wolf
06-01-2008, 10:34 PM

repped ya for the bunch of posts that were insightful.

Wolf
06-01-2008, 10:36 PM
about 15 days old but article from HPF err In the Bullseye.com

Mama always said there would be days like this.

According to a report filed by the Associated Press last night, rookie running back Steve Slaton struggled mightily on Day 2 of Texans minicamp. Slaton fumbled a pitch on one play and later had his helmet knocked off his head on another. The report also added that Slaton actually fumbled twice on Saturday.

Twice? Oh noes!!!!1!!1 Whatever will we do???!

"He's going to be fine," running backs coach Chick Harris said. "I can cure (the butterfingers). I've done it with guys before. You just bang 'em and bang 'em and bang 'em until they understand the importance of keeping the ball in your hands."

Whoa, easy there on the banging, 'kay? We're not the Bengals.

So, yeah, no alarm. Slaton is going to be just fine. I mean, it's not like he had this issue in college, right?

No wait. Slaton DID have this problem in college. He suffered a wrist injury in 2006 and underwent surgery on it last year. The troubles had an impact on how he carried the football, giving him a bad case of the dropsies.

Yikes. Coach Harris might need a little extra time developing a cure for this case.

http://www.inthebullseye.com/archive/2008/20080512.html

barrett
06-02-2008, 12:18 AM

@ 4:14 you see him running down the left sideline and there is a tackler approaching from the right instead of heading out of bounds he attacks the tackler. i love that mentality!

i agree with someone else's post too about how he seems to disappear in the interior and explode out the other side.... very promising.

edo783
06-02-2008, 12:56 AM
The carrying the ball in his left hand all the time now makes sense with the wrist injury.

PHAROAH
06-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Steve is going to be the man and i'm glad the texans are not talking about him to much because they know he will be the cure to our running game. Steve has a natural feel in the zone blocking scheme from his time at WVU and watch the explosion in the videos below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xx3VzMMU3g&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G-r4Da1ljE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr49hwW7zZM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrm0idTUAq8&feature=related

threeputtsam
06-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Slaton will be a good 3rd down back. Do you all remember how many screens we had set up, only to go for just 5 yards. Slaton can make a 5 yard screen pass into a 40 yard gain - Dayne couldn't. Sorry Dayne lovers.

76Texan
06-03-2008, 05:46 PM
I think Slaton will be just fine, but let's not hype him up! :kingkong:

What I like is that he looks comfortable out of different offensive formations, from the I, to the Ace, the split back, the shotgun, which we employ in some form.

I need to see more of him in the slot out of the empty-backfield formation to see if he can be successful at the next level.

Basic football formations can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formation_(American_football)#T_formation

PHAROAH
06-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Slaton is going to be the man and if Ahman get hurt in the pre-season then we can look at Shawn Alexander or Travis Henry on a 1-year deal to team up with Slaton.

Corrosion
06-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Slaton is going to be the man and if Ahman get hurt in the pre-season then we can look at Shawn Alexander or Travis Henry on a 1-year deal to team up with Slaton.

put down the crack pipe and step away from the computer :thisbig:

Line_Producer
06-04-2008, 04:11 AM

Seriously. Nightmares. I hope this post was in jest, because my soul couldn't take it.

PHAROAH
06-04-2008, 04:49 AM
Seriously. Nightmares. I hope this post was in jest, because my soul couldn't take it.It was and I hope we have no injuries this season in the backfield.

:doot:

76Texan
06-04-2008, 05:38 PM
The more I see of Slaton (5 games now including USF, Rutgers, Cinn, Pitts, UConn).

He just look like a complete player to me.

Let's take his worst game against Pitts. Don't let the line (9 carries for 11 yards and 1 catch for 9 yds, No TD) fool ya'.

If the blockers perform their task, it would have been a completely different story.

Same goes with the USF and UConn games where he didn't have astronomical numbers either.

(And as I have mentioned before, I was astounded as to why Rodriguez doesn't instruct Pat White to get the ball to Slaton more.)

Slaton does all the little things well, and that include blocking.
He has a lot of heart, and you see several hard heavy blocks, even on LBs.
And the DBs around 190 lbs, he simply destroys them.

And to say that his legs stop moving upon meeting the defenders is a little presumptous. You ought to see him fighting 2, 3 defenders.

Now, I never want to hype him up. I'm just stating my opinion that he's ready to contribute while learning more about the game from our coaches and his teammates. And of course, he'll have to adjust to the fast pace of the NFL just like most other rookies.

I really like this pick.

DocBar
06-04-2008, 10:20 PM
I like Slaton. he reminds me of DD(W). I hope he turns out to be a good as DD(W)

HOU-TEX
06-05-2008, 09:08 AM
I like Slaton. he reminds me of DD(W). I hope he turns out to be a good as DD(W)

How? Davis was lucky to break a 30 yard run before being run down whereas Slaton would likely take it to the house on the same run. The speed and quickness isn't even comparable.

I think many around here hold Davis at a higher level than what he was. IMO, he was an average to slightly above average RB who didn't have break away speed nor the durability of a really good RB.

Sure, he's probably the best we've had, but when you have an injured Green, Fatass and a few other nobodies to compare him to.....

Carr Bombed
06-05-2008, 10:39 AM
I think many around here hold Davis at a higher level than what he was. IMO, he was an average to slightly above average RB who didn't have break away speed nor the durability of a really good RB.

Sure, he's probably the best we've had, but when you have an injured Green, Fatass and a few other nobodies to compare him to.....

Domanick Davis healthy was easily a above average to very good running back. No he didn't have break away speed, but the guy had great vision, balance, was very quick, ran behind his pads well, and had a nose for the endzone (avg. 11 TDs his first two seasons) He was also a very good receiving back.

Speed isn't everything for a running back, (There have been a ton of blazing speedster runningbacks, that simply couldn't produce in the NFL) while D.D. lacked it, he had everything else, with his vision he'd be perfect in this zone scheme.......it's just a shame the guy could never stay healthy, he was talented.

Hopefully Slaton can come in and show that he has the vision, ability to run through the tackles, and possesses soft hands like Davis..........but while also showing that he has game breaking speed and he's durable enough to make it in the NFL (unlike Davis).

thunderkyss
06-05-2008, 11:26 AM
How? Davis was lucky to break a 30 yard run before being run down whereas Slaton would likely take it to the house on the same run. The speed and quickness isn't even comparable.

Davis was able to produce on a pis poor team, with a pis poor QB, and a pis poor coach.

No one thinks Davis would have gone to the HOF or anything like that. But we acknowledge, and respect what he did for us.

badboy
06-05-2008, 11:35 AM
I think it would have been interesting to see the type of career DD would have had if he had played the role he was drafted for. How would he have performed with this current team behind a better oline and with a big back like Brown to partner with. Maybe Slaton will give me an idea of how DD would have done. DD was paid well but sad to me how he ended up.

New_Texans
06-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Slaton looks a lot bigger than people give him credit for being.

infantrycak
06-05-2008, 11:48 AM
I think it would have been interesting to see the type of career DD would have had if he had played the role he was drafted for. How would he have performed with this current team behind a better oline and with a big back like Brown to partner with. Maybe Slaton will give me an idea of how DD would have done. DD was paid well but sad to me how he ended up.

DD proved he was more than the role he was drafted for. Had Gibbs, Kubiak and DD gotten together and healthy DD would have been added to the legacy of late round RB's.

Sideline
06-05-2008, 11:53 AM
DD proved he was more than the role he was drafted for. Had Gibbs, Kubiak and DD gotten together and healthy DD would have been added to the legacy of late round RB's.

On the subject of DD, whatever happened to him? The last thing I remember of him was him getting hurt and then changing his name.

Specnatz
06-05-2008, 12:10 PM
On the subject of DD, whatever happened to him? The last thing I remember of him was him getting hurt and then changing his name.

He retired because of the knee injury. No cartledge in that knee if memory serves me correctly.

ocd
06-05-2008, 01:11 PM
The more I read this thread, the more excited I get!

Slaton and Brown's experience in this style of offense is gonna give us the jump start we need in Gibbs very physical form of football. I'm predicting this is gonna be our team...one will make you run to the ice tub after the game and Mr Lickitysplit will make you run to the film room to see what happened.

The other guys? They're gonna be angrily waiting on the sidelines to touch the ball.

Ahhh, true competition finally.

FWIW, I could be wrong but I see a picture forming.

Bigbots_02
06-05-2008, 02:07 PM

Slaton and Brown's experience in this style of offense is gonna give us the jump start we need in Gibbs very physical form of football. I'm predicting this is gonna be our team...one will make you run to the ice tub after the game and Mr Lickitysplit will make you run to the film room to see what happened.

The other guys? They're gonna be angrily waiting on the sidelines to touch the ball.

I like the nickname Mr Lickitysplit... Is anyone called that right now or ever?

Ole Miss Texan
06-05-2008, 02:09 PM

Everytime I think about our last few drafts, the more excited I get.

I see Mario, Demeco, possibly Spencer, Winston, Daniels, Amobi, Jacoby, Bennett, Brown, Molden, and Slaton all see significant playing time for many years on this team. Throw in Frye, Studdard, Harrison, Diles, Adibi, Barber as good backups to have- LB's may actually start for us... Brink being a solid backup a few years down the road? And hopefully Schaub excelling after a full season of work...

What an awesome three drafts we've had to think that ALL these guys in some way shape or form are the future (and present) of our team. I love Kubiak and Smith.

Hooston Texan
06-05-2008, 02:31 PM

If I had to chose between a back who can of turn a 2-yard-gain into a 7-yarder and a back capable of turning a 7-yard-gain into an 80-yarder, I'll take the former. Championships are built on 7-yard runs that relentlessly move the chains and exhaust the opposing defense, and DD(W) was the type of back who could give them to you: great vision, quick acceleration, could take a hit. Slaton is the latter kind--certainly has a quick burst, but he's not going to grind out the tough yards.

That said, Slaton is a good value in the third round who can succeed if used correctly. But "correctly" is not getting 20-25 carries in a game. If he's healthy, Green and Slaton would make absolutely perfect complements to each other.

HOU-TEX
06-05-2008, 03:07 PM
If I had to chose between a back who can of turn a 2-yard-gain into a 7-yarder and a back capable of turning a 7-yard-gain into an 80-yarder, I'll take the former. Championships are built on 7-yard runs that relentlessly move the chains and exhaust the opposing defense, and DD(W) was the type of back who could give them to you: great vision, quick acceleration, could take a hit. Slaton is the latter kind--certainly has a quick burst, but he's not going to grind out the tough yards.

That said, Slaton is a good value in the third round who can succeed if used correctly. But "correctly" is not getting 20-25 carries in a game. If he's healthy, Green and Slaton would make absolutely perfect complements to each other.

Agreed, that's why most teams are going with 2 backs these days. You have your pounder and your speed guy. IMO, Taylor will eventually take over for Green.

I just think DD was an in between type of guy. He couldn't handle the every down pounding, nor was he able to run away from a guy.

I have nothing against DD and I do appreciate what he was able to do with what he was given to work with. I just don't think he was as good as some think.

ObsiWan
06-05-2008, 03:19 PM
I like the nickname Mr Lickitysplit... Is anyone called that right now or ever?

no one outside the porn industry

badboy
06-05-2008, 03:25 PM
DD proved he was more than the role he was drafted for. Had Gibbs, Kubiak and DD gotten together and healthy DD would have been added to the legacy of late round RB's.I definitely agree. My point was if he had the advantages of Slaton (QB, Oline, WR [I think current group better] or if he did not take the beating of being the main guy, he would have had a very long successful career.

76Texan
06-05-2008, 05:12 PM
I think the idea that Slaton cannot grind out the tough yards is a misconception. Just because the guy is a bit undersize.

Reggie Bush wishes that he's as strong as Slaton! http://texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

OK, OK, Slaton has a few bad moments.
Like the fumble in the USF game, he should have protected the ball better.
He was going up the middle, but saw that the hole was quickly plugged, so he tries to bounce outside.
Never saw the defender coming with the helmet to the ball.
It was a bit of tough luck to have guys coming at you on both sides.
But still, he needs to protect the ball.

I see tremendous possibilities with Slaton in the lineup though.
The FBs will have their opportunities on draw play out of a fake outside zone run to Slaton. They can count on some screen passes coming their way with defenders keying on Slaton.

The bootleg play to AJ also comes to mind.

And heck yes, it will be great to see us running the stretch play more consistenly.

I can't wait for the season to start.

Slaton and the ZBS is just a perfect marriage.
And the fact that we now have another two guys (Brown and Myers) who are very good going up to the next level.
I can smell TDs.

Sorry for all the hypes, but if you watch the Sugar Bowl (Jan 06) against Georgia, you'd see what I mean.
I think a couple of youtube video highlights were from that game.
(A pair of identical 52-yd TD runs)
For the game, his line was 26-204 yds and 3 TDs.
And that was a team with a holw truck load of defensive players in the NFL today (most if not all the starters.)
Even some reserves at the time made it to the NFL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/college?letter=g

The Pencil Neck
06-05-2008, 05:50 PM
He retired because of the knee injury. No cartledge in that knee if memory serves me correctly.

But DON'T GIVE UP HOPE, YET!!!!!!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/06/080604104402.htm
They've discovered a way to grow cartilage that could be used in transplants. DD/W could return!!!!!

ObsiWan
06-05-2008, 06:08 PM
suuurrrre... that'll happen right after they grow a T-Rex from fossilized DNA and chicken eggs...
:o)

ocd
06-05-2008, 07:56 PM
I thought I'd throw this in the mix about Slaton because of my earlier concerns about his size...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06312/736477-144.stm

"No back can securely tuck a football without the use of either hand. So, imagine what the naturally right-handed Slaton has endured since hurting the right wrist Nov. 2, 2005, against Connecticut. He gained 598 yards on 113 workhorse carries in the Mountaineers' final four games last season, including a Sugar Bowl-record 204 yards; became an Iron Mountaineer Award-winner in the spring for his offseason weightlifting toil, including a 425-pound bench press despite that aching wrist; and learned to hold the ball in his left hand while gaining 1,215 yards entering the 10th-ranked Mountaineers' Saturday home date against Cincinnati (5-4, 2-2)."

Now for some numbers about his speed...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Slaton

"Slaton also reported that he met with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Tennessee Titans at the NFL Combine.[41] Slaton told Pittsburgh Post-Gazette writer, Chuck Finder, in an interview that he did not run a 4.5 at the Combine and ran a 4.27 in Arizona after the Fiesta Bowl. He also said that the New York Jets, New England Patriots and Atlanta Falcons have scheduled private workouts with him. He then said that he planned to go to the University of Michigan to work out there with his former training coach, Mike Barwis.[42] The Buffalo Bills also reportedly took interest in Slaton[43], along with Owen Schmitt.[44]

West Virginia's Pro Day was March 13.[45] At the Pro Day he ran a 4.45, despite weighing in at 199 lbs. He also ran a 2.51 20-yard dash and a 1.47 10-yard shuttle. In his 3-cone drill, Slaton ran a 6.74, a 4.27 short shuttle, and a 35" vertical jump.[46] Slaton also impressed many scouts with his receiving abilities, highlighted with a one-handed grab behind him on a "go route".[47] Slaton's 6.74 three-cone drill time and 1.47 10-yard shuttle time was one of the best by any draft prospect at their respective Pro Days.[48]

In April, USA Today ranked Slaton the #11 running back in the class and projected him as a 3rd to 4th round selection. He was compared to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' runningback Michael Bennett and was reported as maxing with a 305-pound bench press and 600-pound safe squat.[49] On April 17, Mel Kiper of ESPN predicted Slaton to be a third or fourth round selection.[50] On April 23, Mike Mayock of ESPN said of Slaton, "The one thing Steve has going for him is the NFL pays a premium for speed, and Steve Slaton still flies. I have him going in the fourth round. I believe somebody is going to look at him and say he can return kicks. If you can find a way to get him the ball in space and use him selectively, he can be deadly."[51]"