PDA

View Full Version : Come one come all---But Tim Carter?

CloakNNNdagger
05-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Are we just wholesaling warm bodies prior to camp? This latest acquisition of Tim Carter somewhat scares me. Isn't he the blazer who's "hands" can't be helped with roach baited adhesive gloves?

Also in Texans news: general manager Rick Smith continues to tweak the roster (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5796735.html).

Seven-year veteran receivers Jimmy Williams and Tim Carter were each added this week, along with receiver Mark Simmons and tight end Ryan Krause.

Williams joined the Texans for mini-camp two weeks ago on a tryout basis. Carter participated in practice for the first time Thursday.

"I think that's the first thing you think about is the experience," Smith said. "They are guys who understand the game, know how we work. I think they are still good football players. In the case of Tim — with (Ryan) Grice-Mullen and Andre (Johnson) nursing a couple of injuries — we needed a couple of more players. And I think he's a guy who can really compete with our group.

Insideop
05-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Are we just wholesaling warm bodies prior to camp? This latest acquisition of Tim Carter somewhat scares me. Isn't he the blazer who's "hands" can't be helped with roach baited adhesive gloves?

My guess is "warm bodies" CND. But you never know, if one of them makes enough of an impression.... JMHO!

76Texan
05-22-2008, 05:19 PM
How many ex-Browns do we have on our roster now?
Scary!

b0ng
05-22-2008, 05:33 PM
Everybody remember Keenan McCardell? What about Roc Alexander, Chukki Okobi? Etc etc? I don't mind obvious fodder being brought in to compete with the vets and the rooks and whomever.

Isn't the "warm bodies" operation how we got Anthony Maddox in '06? Yeah, I'm not worried about it. The more the merrier!

Maddict5
05-22-2008, 05:34 PM
what happened grice mullins?

Double Barrel
05-22-2008, 06:26 PM
What about Roc Alexander...

I remember him, but only because I got two signatures on one of my Texans hardhats at last year's All Access. Roc's and Mario Williams, who was sitting with him. (My buddy has already removed Roc's sig from his hardhat!)

I think it's CND's 'warm body' take with Tim Carter, too.

kiwitexansfan
05-22-2008, 07:35 PM
Its all about the team speed with Carter. Kubiak says he want to get faster, Carter is fast.

I figure that is why he got the phone call, not saying he wins a roster spot, in fact I doubt he does, but I guess that is why that 'warm body' was chosen.

Hooston Texan
05-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Signing off the street an ex-Brown, second-round-pick in 2001 whose had, to date, a disappointing career so that he can compete for a WR spot? That'll NEVER work, I tell you. Never!

V3rm0nt3r
05-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Im with b0ng on this one.

Maybe none of them make the team in the end but how will they know that they have the best 11 out there if they don't take chances on these guys. AD wasn't exactly highly thought of as a WR coming of that season with the Bills.

ocd
05-22-2008, 09:50 PM
Signing Tim Carter...we just locked up the Division.

drewmar74
05-22-2008, 09:57 PM
Signing Tim Carter...we just locked up the Division.

Tim Carter? Championship!

Big Lou
05-22-2008, 11:36 PM
I think its the warm bodies thing.

The 8o man roster limit is hurting teams with out NFL Europa. Teams don't want to burn out thier recievers with too many reps in camp.

barrett
05-23-2008, 01:25 AM
what happened grice mullins?

yeah, anybody got anything on this?

kiwitexansfan
05-23-2008, 02:08 AM
yeah, anybody got anything on this?

Elective surgery to have a 3rd nipple removed.

Porky
05-23-2008, 07:07 AM
I don't know the Williams guy, but Tim Carter has been a decent WR, although not what a 2nd rounder should be probably. Didn't he play for the Giants though or have I got the wrong guy?

CloakNNNdagger
05-23-2008, 07:33 AM
I don't know the Williams guy, but Tim Carter has been a decent WR, although not what a 2nd rounder should be probably. Didn't he play for the Giants though or have I got the wrong guy?

You've got the right guy, but the label of a "decent" WR may be stretching it.

Back in college, he had some spectacular returns on special teams for Auburn. But the Giants and Browns don't seem to have used him as such.
Who knows if they don't want to see what he can do in that capacity.
Check out this video of his return against LSU. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW_51ukZJsQ)

threetoedpete
05-23-2008, 08:38 AM
and exactly what were they digging around for in a.j.'s knee ?

edo783
05-23-2008, 08:46 AM
My guess is that he is a camp guy. They need someone to do runbacks on punts and kickoffs practice without running down JJ & AD with that duty. If he shows really, really well doing it, he might make the team. I doubt it, but you never know if he does great and they want to take some load off of JJ and/or AD during the season. Plus, he gives another speed guy to throw to and for the DBs to work against during TC.

Goldensilence
05-23-2008, 08:53 AM
My guess is that he is a camp guy. They need someone to do runbacks on punts and kickoffs practice without running down JJ & AD with that duty. If he shows really, really well doing it, he might make the team. I doubt it, but you never know if he does great and they want to take some load off of JJ and/or AD during the season. Plus, he gives another speed guy to throw to and for the DBs to work against during TC.

I'm forgetting atm who was back with AD on kickoffs?

HOU-TEX
05-23-2008, 08:55 AM
I think its the warm bodies thing.

The 8o man roster limit is hurting teams with out NFL Europa. Teams don't want to burn out thier recievers with too many reps in camp.

I agree with the "warm bodies theory too. Just another moving target.

Elective surgery to have a 3rd nipple removed.

*ahem, I would've kept it. :specnatz:

Texan_Bill
05-23-2008, 09:10 AM
*ahem, I would've kept it. :specnatz:

Except that it was on his forehead.

Warm bodies theory, here too.

HOU-TEX
05-23-2008, 09:22 AM
Except that it was on his forehead.

Warm bodies theory, here too.

Hmmm....:thinking: .....I'd still keep it for my personal enjoyment.

Texan_Bill
05-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Hmmm....:thinking: .....I'd still keep it for my personal enjoyment.

It would just be strange to have some ................ nevermind

Porky
05-23-2008, 09:38 AM
I could see him sticking as the 5th guy myself. I mean is David Anderson untouchable or something?

Let's see?

Speed - Carter
Size - Carter
Experience - Carter
Return ability - Carter
Hands - almost definetely Anderson
Route Running - ???
Coverage teams - Guessing Anderson, but not sure

I don't see the downside myself. I really don't understand why the naysayers always come out when we sign these borderline guys, and they start trashing the signing before they even see the guy. If they bomb, so what? What's the possible downside? What, you don't like them wasting a number or something? Is there not enough oxygen in Houston to go around? Did they steal your girlfriend? I don't get it. Obviousely, the guy has some ability and talent. He wouldn't have been a 2nd rounder otherwise. Has he lived up to that? No, but neither had Andre Davis when we scooped him up off the scrap heap last year. The parallels between these two guys is almost scary. Personally, I'll hold my opinion until I actually see the guy play.

Edit - You know what, I forgot. Is Carter a smaller guy? Anderson actually may have the size advantage. Anyone know?

El Tejano
05-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Isn't this what OTAs and TC is for?

CloakNNNdagger
05-23-2008, 01:37 PM
I could see him sticking as the 5th guy myself. I mean is David Anderson untouchable or something?

Let's see?

Speed - Carter
Size - Carter
Experience - Carter
Return ability - Carter
Hands - almost definetely Anderson
Route Running - ???
Coverage teams - Guessing Anderson, but not sure

I don't see the downside myself. I really don't understand why the naysayers always come out when we sign these borderline guys, and they start trashing the signing before they even see the guy. If they bomb, so what? What's the possible downside? What, you don't like them wasting a number or something? Is there not enough oxygen in Houston to go around? Did they steal your girlfriend? I don't get it. Obviousely, the guy has some ability and talent. He wouldn't have been a 2nd rounder otherwise. Has he lived up to that? No, but neither had Andre Davis when we scooped him up off the scrap heap last year. The parallels between these two guys is almost scary. Personally, I'll hold my opinion until I actually see the guy play.

Edit - You know what, I forgot. Is Carter a smaller guy? Anderson actually may have the size advantage. Anyone know?

I was beginning to agree with your points up until the oxygen argument........

BTW:
Anderson 5'10"
Carter 6'0"

76Texan
05-23-2008, 04:03 PM
You feel for the guy and pull for him to make it... but...

Too many major injuries throughout his career and this red flag:

http://www.xanga.com/MALeonard/630735287/time-for-tim-to-go.html

CloakNNNdagger
05-23-2008, 08:49 PM
You feel for the guy and pull for him to make it... but...

Too many major injuries throughout his career and this red flag:

http://www.xanga.com/MALeonard/630735287/time-for-tim-to-go.html

It seems to me that WR speedsters with a track background tend to have an unusual history of NFL injuries:

Carter (http://www.giants.com/news/eisen/story.asp?story_id=24374) brought great speed and athleticism to the Giants, but his production was curtailed largely because of injuries. As a rookie in 2002, he was limited to five games because of a rib injury suffered in training camp and a torn Achilles tendon. The following season, Carter caught a career-high 26 passes despite missing four games with concussions.

In 2004, Carter was again limited to five games because of a hip injury suffered at Dallas. A year later, he missed the regular season finale and the NFC Wild Card Game with a hip injury. Carter played in all 16 games with eight starts in 2006. He had season-high totals of four catches against Washington on Oct. 8 and Philadelphia on Dec. 17.

Vinny
05-23-2008, 11:23 PM
He is Cory Bradford but not as good.....yeah, and that wasn't my usual sarcasm either

Hottoddie
05-23-2008, 11:54 PM
Signing off the street an ex-Brown, second-round-pick in 2001 whose had, to date, a disappointing career so that he can compete for a WR spot? That'll NEVER work, I tell you. Never!

Sincerely, Andre Davis

adam
05-24-2008, 01:47 PM
My guess would be that, with A.J. missing the entire month of OTAs, that Kubiak and Co. wanted a speedy guy out there to test the defense. I can fathom Tim Carter working his way into our depth chart at WR, which is easily our deepest position.