PDA

View Full Version : What would you give up for Jason Taylor?

Big Lou
05-20-2008, 11:53 PM
I was just forced to watch the Dancing with the Stars Finale, however it makes me wonder:

What would everyone give up for Jason Taylor in trade?

I know this isn't realistic to think it would happen, but seeing that Taylor has maybe two decent years left in the tank, and the fact that he could meantor Mario what do ya think?

I would give a third, but I'm sure the Tuna would want at least a 2nd, and then some.

Big Lou

beerlover
05-20-2008, 11:58 PM
I was just forced to watch the Dancing with the Stars Finale, however it makes me wonder:

What would everyone give up for Jason Taylor in trade?

I know this isn't realistic to think it would happen, but seeing that Taylor has maybe two decent years left in the tank, and the fact that he could meantor Mario what do ya think?

I would give a third, but I'm sure the Tuna would want at least a 2nd, and then some.

Big Lou

I doubt Rick Smith is giving up anymore draft picks, player possibly but that would be Denver, Green Bay or Seattle. no way trade with tuna- sorry Kast :cool:

kiwitexansfan
05-21-2008, 12:02 AM
What would I personally give up for him if I was GM, I am thinking that I could throw a 6th out there, maybe a 5th if I got a 7th back.

TexanSam
05-21-2008, 12:24 AM
I would give up this years 3rd and 7th. He's still a damn good player.

HJam72
05-21-2008, 05:44 AM
We could trade Demeco for him. :jk: :tomato:

Texanmike02
05-21-2008, 08:04 AM
We could trade Demeco for him. :jk: :tomato:

Someone ban him for making bad jokes.

Mike

PapaL
05-21-2008, 08:08 AM
100 virgins?

Vinny
05-21-2008, 08:11 AM
a ham sammich. With his age and massive salary even the Dolphins are looking to unload him now.

Goldensilence
05-21-2008, 08:45 AM
Wouldn't give up anything unless he was willing to renogiate his contract and take a paycut.

He knew when he signed that contract what he was getting into with the Dolphins and that it'd be a hard contract to move.

Kaiser Toro
05-21-2008, 08:48 AM
I would give a six or seventh and sign him to a heavy bonus laden contract that mitigates the risk of signing an older player that has only known being a Miami Dolphin.

chicagotexan2
05-21-2008, 02:29 PM
Ahman Green!!

Hervoyel
05-21-2008, 03:23 PM
Nothing. It's not that I don't think he's got something left because I do. I just don't think his contract is something I want any part of and for the most part the only old dudes who can still play that I want to see around here are OUR old dudes who can still play. When our coaches know our older players well and can give an educated opinion on whether or not they think the player has "x" number of years left (barring injury) that's one thing. When you're taking someone elses castoffs that's entirely different. Jason Taylor will get released (unless someone gets really stupid) and then he'll either be a complete steal or an absolute anchor ready to drag down whatever team pins it's hopes on him. I don't want to find out that he's the latter.

Mr teX
05-21-2008, 03:32 PM
You dudes are crazy, he's getting old but he can still play for at least another 2 possibly 3 years; hell he was just DPOY 2 years ago. I'd see about a 3rd in the current year & a 4th/5th the following year depending on his production his 1st year with us. he'd also have to renegotiate as well.

El Tejano
05-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Jason Taylor mentioned that he wanted to be known for acting 10 years from now. He mentioned that right now he could do great things in football and get big contracts but if a team doesn't want to keep him they can let him go any time.

To me, that translation says 'I know that playing football is not what it used to be for me and I know the end of the road is coming up for me in football. Meanwhile I am making a big splash with this dancing thing, why don't I say I want to be remembered for acting so that some reality TV show or movie producers take a chance on me.'

I don't want that kind of veteran on our team.

Second Honeymoon
05-21-2008, 04:06 PM
With the cap free year looming, the time is ripe to pick up a high dollar quality veteran and spend some money. Everyone acts like this guy is washed up or something. I watched Dolphins football last year, probably too much, and he was still a force to be reckoned with. Drew doubleteams all the time and would be a perfect yin to Mario's yang.

I would give up a 3rd without even thinking twice. Who cares about cap hits anymore? The slate is going to wipe clean in 2011 so why not spend if you got the money, and McNair/Texans organization does. Lock up all your guys till 2012 that you want to keep right now and don't worry about the salary cap anymore. It's pretty much irrelevant with a little creativity and some cash.

I have no problem with him doing the whole Dancing With The Stars thing. He stays in elite shape and takes care of himself. He has been a team leader and lockerroom leader for a decade and is doing something with his offseason besides strip clubs and getting high. bfd.

I would be proud to have Taylor on the Texans as long as we didn't get raped in doing so. He will probably fetch a late 2nd Rounder at least and that may be a bit high. If they will take 2009 3rd Rounder, I say pull the trigger, reneg his deal, and make our defense elite. Taylor Johnson Okoye Mario

BigTimeTexanFan
05-21-2008, 04:29 PM
With the cap free year looming, the time is ripe to pick up a high dollar quality veteran and spend some money. Everyone acts like this guy is washed up or something. I watched Dolphins football last year, probably too much, and he was still a force to be reckoned with. Drew doubleteams all the time and would be a perfect yin to Mario's yang.

I would give up a 3rd without even thinking twice. Who cares about cap hits anymore? The slate is going to wipe clean in 2011 so why not spend if you got the money, and McNair/Texans organization does. Lock up all your guys till 2012 that you want to keep right now and don't worry about the salary cap anymore. It's pretty much irrelevant with a little creativity and some cash.

I have no problem with him doing the whole Dancing With The Stars thing. He stays in elite shape and takes care of himself. He has been a team leader and lockerroom leader for a decade and is doing something with his offseason besides strip clubs and getting high. bfd.

I would be proud to have Taylor on the Texans as long as we didn't get raped in doing so. He will probably fetch a late 2nd Rounder at least and that may be a bit high. If they will take 2009 3rd Rounder, I say pull the trigger, reneg his deal, and make our defense elite. Taylor Johnson Okoye Mario

Unless they work something out before the uncapped year, then you're screwed.

Hervoyel
05-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Unless they work something out before the uncapped year, then you're screwed.

BigTimeTexanFan: "Uncapped year?"

Hervoyel: "Forget it, he's rolling."

NBT
05-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Maybe Jason Taylor will give up football and take up dancing? All I know for sure is we don't need his advanced age (33), and huge salary cap figure.

Second Honeymoon
05-21-2008, 06:28 PM
BigTimeTexanFan: "Uncapped year?"

Hervoyel: "Forget it, he's rolling."

db, actually I was wrong, the 2010 year will be cap free with the 2011 season being possible work stoppage.

from the Chicago Tribune

At issue is the contract extension agreed to in March 2006, just before the start of that year's free agency. It was pushed through by commissioner Paul Tagliabue, who retired soon afterward. The agreement was to extend to 2013 with the opt-out option this year that would end it in 2011.

That would include the uncapped year, which has led to speculation that free-spending owners like Jones and Washington's Daniel Snyder would pay huge sums to stars that poorer teams could not afford.

However, when the 1993 contract that finally resolved the issues from the 1987 strike was ratified it also included a clause that has been widely overlooked.

It extends the time required for free agency from four years to six in the event of an uncapped year, meaning hundreds of players who normally would be on the market in 2010 would still belong to their teams. The provision was added as an incentive to both sides: the rich owners who want to corner the market, and the players who want a quicker free agency.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-ap-fbn-nflmeetings,0,6611357.story

The owners have already opted out of the deal thus triggering the cap free year in 2010. Teams will have some provisions in order to try and retain free agents during that year, but the bottom line is that you can point large portions of your cap hits to 2010 pain-free. Al Davis gambled a little bit by going ahead and signing lots of players early this offseason before the opt out move by the owners but he knew it was coming. Was it any coincidence, that within minutes of the opt out decision by the owners, Dallas signed Newman and Barber to lucrative deals past 2010 thus allowing them to lessen their current cap hits and post-2010 cap hits all the while limiting possible defections.

I am not happy about this move, but the Texans are one of the high revenue teams, so it stands to reason that we may benefit the most from a MLB-type landscape of the rich get richer and the poor get poorer (in regards to on-field talent)

There will not be any deal that will take away the 2010 cap free season, its already set in motion with the opt out and the NFLPA wants the cap free season. In other words, they won't make a deal until 2010 is over and the are facing a 2011 lockout.

I am surprised that more people werent aware of this.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
05-22-2008, 06:05 AM
Anthony Weaver

Hervoyel
05-22-2008, 09:38 AM
Anthony Weaver

YES! Weaver and Green plus a 5th rounder in 2021. If that's not enough get them a case of grape nehi.

Mr teX
05-22-2008, 01:19 PM
Maybe Jason Taylor will give up football and take up dancing? All I know for sure is we don't need his advanced age (33), and huge salary cap figure.

advanced age? Strahan just helped his team reek havoc on a damn solid o-line and at 36 he looked damn good doing it too. & if i'm not mistaken, reggie white was older than Taylor when he annihilated the pats in the SB. Also keep in mind that this dude hasn't missed a game in like 567578956 years. IMO he's easily worth a 3 considering we haven't come close to having a decent pass rush going back to our first year on existence...................hell, up until mario last year, we hadn't had a double digit sack guy.

I'm all over this like a cheap suit if this presents itself accordingly Mr. Smith.

Corrosion
05-22-2008, 03:21 PM
What would I give the Tuna for J.Taylor ? ..... I'd offer him HWWNBM and see if he bites ......yeah I know he's a Giant now ((A Giant Mistake)).

El Tejano
05-22-2008, 03:27 PM
I said it before. If he gets cut and the Jags sign him (which would be possible) he is going to make the Jags a better D and he is going to make their front office look pretty smart. Pass up the trade, get your future DEs and still sign Jason Taylor.

Second Honeymoon
05-22-2008, 03:43 PM
I said it before. If he gets cut and the Jags sign him (which would be possible) he is going to make the Jags a better D and he is going to make their front office look pretty smart. Pass up the trade, get your future DEs and still sign Jason Taylor.

If he goes to the Jags, they will just eat QBs in JVille. They already have a pretty damn good line already with some new blood to boot in Harvey. Didn't they also go DE in the 2nd Round too?

Taylor is a damn good player, is totally healthy, great professional both on the field and in the community, and is someone people will listen to.

I am sure Miami wants more than what people want to pay, but that price could go down as the season approaches. Parcells doesn't want the distractions to continue and they don't even attempt to communicate with the guy. Personally, I think Taylor is getting a raw deal but Bill is just using JT to show that no one is above reproach, questioning, or criticism....oh, and no one's job is safe. That is the type of environment that Parcells creates...unless your Roy Williams. Then you can make horrible play after horrible play and still keep your job.

Maddict5
05-22-2008, 05:39 PM
(Rick Smith on Miami DE Jason Taylor) “I try to be real careful about commenting about other players that are members of other football teams, so I’ll just say, 'No comment.'”

not exactly shooting it down at first opportunity.... or am i reading too much into it?

Corrosion
05-22-2008, 05:45 PM
not exactly shooting it down at first opportunity.... or am i reading too much into it?

Thats the way I take the quote ..... He sure didnt shoot it down . If you recall pre draft the Texans were hoping to add another pass rusher to the mix .... It didnt happen in the draft and nothing has been done via FA that says the roster is set at DE , I see it as a possibility ..... although a very slim one . Any GM would have to at least look at the possibility of getting a player like Taylor although that contract would be a heavy burden to bear .

Double Barrel
05-22-2008, 05:53 PM
I would give up a 3rd without even thinking twice.

I could live with that deal. I want to win NOW, and I think JT would definitely contribute to that cause.

I doubt this FO would pull the trigger on that deal, though.

Corrosion
05-22-2008, 06:11 PM
I would give up a 3rd without even thinking twice.

I could live with that deal. I want to win NOW, and I think JT would definitely contribute to that cause.

A third rounder seems a little steep to me .... TO 4th rounder and Randy Moss 6th rounder ? ..... I know both of those guy's situations were different and had some baggage with them but they are in the same class of player as Taylor .... And the fact that the Tuna has made it obvious that he isnt happy with Taylor somewhat lowers the expected return imo ....

But then again can we realisticly expect to pick up a player of that caliber in the third round of the NFL draft ? ..... Its a long shot .... Maybe a 3rd round pick is a steal for a guy like Taylor .

Polo
05-22-2008, 06:22 PM
I'd trade Weaver and a third rounder.

Get er done rick.

Double Barrel
05-22-2008, 06:23 PM
But then again can we realisticly expect to pick up a player of that caliber in the third round of the NFL draft ? ..... Its a long shot .... Maybe a 3rd round pick is a steal for a guy like Taylor .

That's my thoughts on it, as well. I do agree that a 3rd seems a bit steep, but I suppose I weigh that against the 'winning now' mentality and what he brings to the team.

Second Honeymoon
05-22-2008, 06:24 PM
A third rounder seems a little steep to me .... TO 4th rounder and Randy Moss 6th rounder ? ..... I know both of those guy's situations were different and had some baggage with them but they are in the same class of player as Taylor .... And the fact that the Tuna has made it obvious that he isnt happy with Taylor somewhat lowers the expected return imo ....

it is a steal to get him for a 3rd Rounder. people make a lot about his age but the guy is in awesome shape and has been relatively durable over the years.

is Taylor going to prevent us from retaining some of our top talent? No. So what's the problem? I would rather have JT come to the Texans rather than a 3rd Round selection in the 2009 draft. No doubt. DE is also a position where a player can move to a new team and not have a long learning curve.

I just want no excuses for this year's defense. Excuses are getting old. Get the job done and improve the defense and provide Richard Smith the tools needed so we can get after the passer and stop people on 3rd Down. I'm sick of having no pass rush to speak of when it counts and I am sick of the excuses for this underproducing/underachieving DC. Taylor Johnson Okoye Williams. That is youth supplanted with a veteran presence.

ChampionTexan
05-22-2008, 06:30 PM

I think a third rounder would be a good deal, and if was offered, I think the FO may very well take it.

If what I heard was correct, the Dophins were looking for a second rounder before/on the day of the draft, so it represents a discount compared to month ago. If the Dolphins can't get at least a third, I have a feeling he's not going anywhere. He's still under contract, and while he may have a future in acting, I think he's still going to make lots more coin on the football field than the movie lot. Irreconcilable differences have a way of getting reconciled when they start costing somebody a whole bunch of money (See Lance Briggs and countless others).

Specnatz
05-22-2008, 06:31 PM

I understand the wanting to win NOW emotion, but bringing a player at the end of his career even though he is still very productive could it not also hender the development of the team over the long run. Short term, the team would be instantly better. Of course that is only short term, what are the long term ramifications of bring in Taylor? Not sure how long his contract has remaining. If it is three years then you have to think about his succsessor in next years draft so he can be gromed and ready to take over when taylor's contract is up. Can he getus to the Super Bowl during those three years or do we win more games to see how things go and not worry about long term.

I do not see a team trying to rebuild from past mistakes and get the team on the right path for the long term as a good fit for taylor. Now a team like .... Chargers, Packers, Jags, Colts, Eagles, and Cowboys as those who would be more suitable.

Polo
05-22-2008, 06:37 PM
I think Jason Taylor still has plenty of production left in him, but that is not all he'd bring to the table...

Just the experience he'd bring with him would be beneficial to our players, especially Mario...

If Mario could watch a guy work and get some tutelage from one of the games premier pass rushers (not a bad all around ball player either), that could produce benefits for years to come.

Who on the team besides Mario has had any measurable amount of success rushing the passer ? Mario's sack numbers from last year alone are probably not much less than the whole D-lines sack totals for their careers.

If we have a chance to het Jason Taylor I'm all for getting it done.

NitroGSXR
05-22-2008, 06:43 PM
I don't know what I'd give up for him. I'm not knowledgeable enough to make a fair assessment on that...

That being said... I wouldn't argue with a first rounder for him. All I know is that Ahman Green may not have panned out just yet but I really loved having a multi pro-bowler on our team. At the beginning of the season, the networks were giving us some positive attention somewhat because of Ahman Green. What I mean is that we weren't as doomed as we used to be at the beginning of the season. Of course, that didn't pan out with his injuries and asthma but the fact remains... the proven factor is there and I'd really like for us to have a true big name player acquistion. It's something that got tarnished with Tony Bosseli but Sharper and Glenn really made this team exciting during our years of dismissal because they at least were proven factors and held this team together.

I don't know what Jason Taylor's value is but I'd really be happy to have him for a season or two at the price of youth ala draft pick. Sure, I'd love to trade Weaver or some of our excess players but Miami wants youth so we can't really expect another Babin/Boulware or Gado/Morency trade to happen here. Whoever gets him will have to at least give up some youth for Jason Taylor.

I'm really skeptical of Chaun Thompson being considered to pass rush alongside Mario in certain formations. Thinking of that does nothing but illuminate my horrid nightmares of Doom Capers and Company trying to experiment with Jason Babin and most likely turning potential into trash.

I just really like the idea of having a former multi pro-bowl player. One who was at one time considered the best player on the Miami Dolphins. Sure even if he doesn't pan out to his old self, he'll at least be decent (barring injury) and with all the youth that we have, he'll make our team fun to watch until our youngsters turn into the force that's expected out of them.

Just wishful thinking is all.

b0ng
05-22-2008, 06:52 PM
I think a first rounder is way out of line, and I think that the NFL is going to let the Dolphins cut Mr. Taylor, or somebody is going let loose a (at best) 4th rounder for him.

I'd give up a 4th for Jason Taylor. Even if he only plays 1 or 2 more years of high level football, what he brings to a defensive line would be well worth missing out on a 4th round rookie.

NitroGSXR
05-22-2008, 07:18 PM
I think a first rounder is way out of line, and I think that the NFL is going to let the Dolphins cut Mr. Taylor, or somebody is going let loose a (at best) 4th rounder for him.

I'd give up a 4th for Jason Taylor. Even if he only plays 1 or 2 more years of high level football, what he brings to a defensive line would be well worth missing out on a 4th round rookie.
Interesting that you bring up the Dolphins cutting him. Truth be told, I think that the Dolphins are hurting their organization by making such a pronouncation about their plans for Jason Taylor. By that, I mean hurting the value of such a trade for him. See, Jason Taylor is still one of the best DEs in the league and he's still got some gas in his tank.

Wouldn't you be excited at a pass rushing tandem of Williams, Okoye, TJ, Taylor? Only to have DeMeco Ryans ready to leap over them from behind? Don't you think that just the names alone would strike fear in opponents? We have to remember that Jason Taylor hasn't declined performance-wise just yet. He still put up some outstanding numbers last season. We're devaluing him based on his age alone, not his numbers. Like Tex said, Strahan took his team to the Super Bowl. Then Reggie White... sure they were special players but hasn't Jason Taylor been special up to this day still?

Corrosion
05-22-2008, 07:23 PM
I think a third rounder would be a good deal, and if was offered, I think the FO may very well take it.

If what I heard was correct, the Dophins were looking for a second rounder before/on the day of the draft, so it represents a discount compared to month ago. If the Dolphins can't get at least a third, I have a feeling he's not going anywhere. He's still under contract, and while he may have a future in acting, I think he's still going to make lots more coin on the football field than the movie lot. Irreconcilable differences have a way of getting reconciled when they start costing somebody a whole bunch of money (See Lance Briggs and countless others).

Im of the opinion that if the Fish can get a 3rd for him they will jump at the chance ... As you say he's still under contract and they DONT want to pay him .... Also I dont see them having even a remote chance at the play-offs within the next two seasons .... makes much more sense to get what you can for him now and play a younger player for cheap at that spot .... as for the Irreconcilable differences they are just gonna get him cut if they cant trade him .

A 4th rounder is much more in line with his value from my perspective

TEXANRED
05-22-2008, 08:19 PM
Well Payton Manning isn't going to sack himself so I would happily give up a third for Taylor.

Corrosion
05-22-2008, 08:45 PM
Interesting that you bring up the Dolphins cutting him. Truth be told, I think that the Dolphins are hurting their organization by making such a pronouncation about their plans for Jason Taylor. By that, I mean hurting the value of such a trade for him. See, Jason Taylor is still one of the best DEs in the league and he's still got some gas in his tank.

Wouldn't you be excited at a pass rushing tandem of Williams, Okoye, TJ, Taylor? Only to have DeMeco Ryans ready to leap over them from behind? Don't you think that just the names alone would strike fear in opponents? We have to remember that Jason Taylor hasn't declined performance-wise just yet. He still put up some outstanding numbers last season. We're devaluing him based on his age alone, not his numbers. Like Tex said, Strahan took his team to the Super Bowl. Then Reggie White... sure they were special players but hasn't Jason Taylor been special up to this day still?

The decline in Jason Taylors value doesnt come from his age or numbers or really his contract ..... Its the fact that the management from his team doesnt want him
Why pay a premium price for a player when you can wait for him to get cut ? Get him for no compensation to his former team ...... The only reason you would give up anything at all if you thought he was going to be cut is that you didnt believe you had a shot at landing him once he was cut .
I'd put the Texans in this category of teams ..... If Taylor is cut I'd expect him to look at the teams that are serious contenders .... SD , Indy , NE , Pittsburgh , Dallas (Ugh Dallas).

Hottoddie
05-22-2008, 09:37 PM
I'd give up a late 3rd round pick any day for a DE that can give me 10+ sacks, 50-60 tackles, & hasn't missed a game in over 8 years.

I believe Taylor has at least 3 more good years left in him before his skills start to erode. Last year we drafted in the 18th slot. If we continue to improve as I believe we will, we'll most likely be picking somewhere in the 20-25th slot. With the players added in FA & the draft, the eventual return of Dunta, & the experience our young DLine got last year, adding Taylor might be the piece that pushes us deep into the playoffs. It's happened before. Give up the pick, Rick.

NitroGSXR
05-22-2008, 09:56 PM
The decline in Jason Taylors value doesnt come from his age or numbers or really his contract ..... Its the fact that the management from his team doesnt want him
Why pay a premium price for a player when you can wait for him to get cut ? Get him for no compensation to his former team ...... The only reason you would give up anything at all if you thought he was going to be cut is that you didnt believe you had a shot at landing him once he was cut .
I'd put the Texans in this category of teams ..... If Taylor is cut I'd expect him to look at the teams that are serious contenders .... SD , Indy , NE , Pittsburgh , Dallas (Ugh Dallas).
I'm fully aware of that but you have to take in consideration what's happened between the two over the offseason. Parcells publically (I say publically because this is what I'm taking in what I'm saying as a result of my knowledge as a general NFL fan) came into the Dolphins' organization once he was hired. He came into the picture with the intention of not including Jason Taylor into his vision of his rebuild of the Dolphins. It really does say a lot about the goal of a team's blueprint to immediately factor Jason Taylor out of it.

Second Honeymoon
05-22-2008, 10:55 PM
I understand the wanting to win NOW emotion, but bringing a player at the end of his career even though he is still very productive could it not also hender the development of the team over the long run. Short term, the team would be instantly better. Of course that is only short term, what are the long term ramifications of bring in Taylor? Not sure how long his contract has remaining. If it is three years then you have to think about his succsessor in next years draft so he can be gromed and ready to take over when taylor's contract is up. Can he getus to the Super Bowl during those three years or do we win more games to see how things go and not worry about long term.

I do not see a team trying to rebuild from past mistakes and get the team on the right path for the long term as a good fit for taylor. Now a team like .... Chargers, Packers, Jags, Colts, Eagles, and Cowboys as those who would be more suitable.

how is giving up a 3rd Rounder and installing a proven Pro Bowler at a position, not looking to the long term? Why does everyone think bringing Taylor in will set our franchise back in the future. To the contrary, if we start winning we could actually put ourselves in a better situation as a destination in the NFL. Don't get me wrong, if we had another top DE prospect, I would be fine without Taylor, but I just dont get how bringing Taylor in just magically makes it a short term move. It's one freaking 3rd Rounder...it's a small price to pay for a bookend opposite Mario. We have crap opposite Mario currently...and he still did well. Why not put someone worth a crap on that side and let the guy try and run wild. Do we have some other DE prospect that I don't know about that is worthy of getting developmental starting time? time that would be given to Taylor. So starting Weaver is long term? give me a break. How could ANY fan be against this deal...I will never know.

The Pencil Neck
05-23-2008, 12:58 AM
First and foremost, I want Jason as my January Player of 2009 Calender Boy. Next, I want Jason to hit the shit out of anyone who has the nerve to stand/and/or get in his path.

I don't care which team he does this for. I just like watching him hit the shit out of people. :)

While he remains beautiful. :)

You sound surprisingly like my wife.

When she heard he was up for trade, her response was "Can we get him? Can we get him? Can we get him, huh? He's soooooo pretty."

I was all like, "Calm yourself, woman. Damn."

dtran04
05-23-2008, 01:30 AM
I would probably give up a third as well. I'd give up Slaton or Molden for him.

TigerV1
05-23-2008, 07:52 AM
ProFootballTalk had this to say this morning:

Indeed, the Washington Post reports that an unnamed team has offered the Fins a fourth-round pick for Taylor. Though the Fins passed, they might ultimately have to accept the package, since it might be the best they’ll ever be able to do for a guy whom they’ve declared won’t be showing up for work in July.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/05/23/fins-forcing-taylors-hand/

HOU-TEX
05-23-2008, 09:19 AM
You sound surprisingly like my wife.

When she heard he was up for trade, her response was "Can we get him? Can we get him? Can we get him, huh? He's soooooo pretty."

I was all like, "Calm yourself, woman. Damn."

Sorry PN, but that's funny as hell because after this "Dancing with the Stars" crap........I can relate!

ProFootballTalk had this to say this morning:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/05/23/fins-forcing-taylors-hand/

Schefter reported yesterday San Diego was interested as well as a few other teams.

huckdabuck
05-23-2008, 09:19 AM
Wasn't there an article like 2 weeks ago that was talking about how Jason Taylor's Dancing with the Stars uniform was Houston Texans colors? Might be a sign from above!!!!!!!!! :smiliedance:

nflnutswife
05-23-2008, 09:32 AM
WHAT WOULD YOU GIVE UP FOR JASON TAYLOR?

My Husband!!!!!!!!

WWJD
05-23-2008, 09:41 AM

My Husband!!!!!!!!

:spit: Jason is a good looking guy definitely! And a very good dancer!

Mr teX
05-23-2008, 10:00 AM

this unwillingness to bring in/hold on to veterans, was the same vision that our former beavis & butthead regime had when they released Glenn & Sharper & a few other guys. We know how that turned out. The dude's production speaks for itself. & even if he does only have 2 years left & we have to draft & groom his replacement in 2009, considering this regime's apptitude in the war room, DE would be a top priority for us anyway come 2009. Why not try to win now & let a rookie learn from a HOFer in waiting?

Double Barrel
05-23-2008, 10:33 AM
I understand the wanting to win NOW emotion, but bringing a player at the end of his career even though he is still very productive could it not also hender the development of the team over the long run.

*cough*AhmanGreen*cough*

Winning now is not an emotion. It is what teams want every season. It is why they play the game.

JT instantly upgrades our line. His leadership helps shape our young guys over the next season or two, so when he does retire, our young players have more knowledge to make them even better.

You have not provided any factual evidence pertaining to how JT would "hinder" this team.

Second Honeymoon
05-23-2008, 11:54 AM
*cough*AhmanGreen*cough*

Winning now is not an emotion. It is what teams want every season. It is why they play the game.

JT instantly upgrades our line. His leadership helps shape our young guys over the next season or two, so when he does retire, our young players have more knowledge to make them even better.

You have not provided any factual evidence pertaining to how JT would "hinder" this team.

there is no way that getting JT would hinder our development other than a Weaver or young scrub DE moving down the depth chart...oh and we would lose 3rd or 4th Rounder.....in order to get a Pro Bowl quality DE to go along with our young DE stud in Mario.

Some people just think that you can't make moves like this without there being some price to pay either development wise or salary cap wise. In today's NFL that just isnt' the case. The cap is soft, no cap in 2010, and we have the resources to get this job done.

why is it ok to sign scrub veterans but its somehow wrong or counterproductive to sign actually capable and productive veterans? I don't get that logic. if it only takes a late 3rd Rounder, GET THE DEAL DONE. NOW.

Specnatz
05-23-2008, 11:55 AM
It was a question not a fact or a belief. could it not also hender the development of the team over the long run.

It was about how the team would improve for only a short time but not be able to develop the younger players by not getting playing time that they normally would the next two years.

Corrosion
05-23-2008, 12:16 PM
It was a question not a fact or a belief.

It was about how the team would improve for only a short time but not be able to develop the younger players by not getting playing time that they normally would the next two years.

What younger players do you see making the roster this year at the DE position ?...... Jessie Nading a rookie UDFA (I think he will make the team) or Eric Powell another UDFA who has bounced from NFL-E to the practice squad and a season in Buffalo ? ..... Other DE's on the roster are Mario Williams , Anthony Weaver , Earl Cochran and N.D. Kalu. Making a move for Taylor with that line up at DE ..... doesnt hinder any development (This Season).

Mr teX
05-23-2008, 01:01 PM
What younger players do you see making the roster this year at the DE position ?...... Jessie Nading a rookie UDFA (I think he will make the team) or Eric Powell another UDFA who has bounced from NFL-E to the practice squad and a season in Buffalo ? ..... Other DE's on the roster are Mario Williams , Anthony Weaver , Earl Cochran and N.D. Kalu. Making a move for Taylor with that line up at DE ..... doesnt hinder any development (This Season).

Greatly exagerated IMO. Even if whomever that's behind JT or Mario only see 30-40 snaps their rookie season, 1: they'd still be seeing time, 2: they'd still be learning from 1 of the best & 3: they'd still be getting that NFL playing experience that's so critical for 1st year guys to get.

It's really a no-brainer.

Second Honeymoon
05-23-2008, 04:11 PM
who cares about some scrub DE when you are talking about Jason Taylor. Sometimes I think the NFL was gone from Houston too long. It seems that some think this is college football or a 'good guy' contest. This is the NFL...win now.

If anything picking up Jason Taylor would HELP our young DE's development. It would push them harder, it would give them a veteran to learn from that actually has game (hear that Weaver?)

I am really just flabbergasted that some people think picking up JT would be a bad thing for the Texans. It's like some of you think 8-8 is a success and something to hang our hats on. It's like some people think we are supposed to just hope we get lucky and some scrub develops. It doesnt work that way.

By using purely the build from within logic the Cowboys picking up Charles Haley was a bad move because it held back one prospect's progress on the Cowboys DL (which for the record was already a strength but not yet dominant like it ended up being)..in the meantime they won 3 of 4 Super Bowls....

cmon peeps, stop acting like 8-8 is good....its not. as an Oilers fan I had more than my share of disappointments in spades...but 8-8 was a failure of a season. Granted, we can't grade both teams by the same curve but the Texans have needed to make a big move and have still yet to do so....hopefully they will bring in JT....at least Smith didn't poo-poo the idea. I know McNair would be down with the move as JT is the epitome of team ambassador, media darling, and football leader.....oh and he is actually talented unlike some McNair has hung his hat on (HWSNBM comes to mind)

*sorry Mr.Tex for quoting you...hit wrong button)

Corrosion
05-23-2008, 04:35 PM
Greatly exagerated IMO. Even if whomever that's behind JT or Mario only see 30-40 snaps their rookie season, 1: they'd still be seeing time, 2: they'd still be learning from 1 of the best & 3: they'd still be getting that NFL playing experience that's so critical for 1st year guys to get.

Lets be blunt here ..... the guy we are talking about retarding the development of .... Isnt on the roster . After Mario Williams we have a washed up has been (if he ever was) two career back-ups and two UDFA's .... If Taylor was aquired somehow I would expect (hope) Weaver to be gone and those guy's who were behind him would still see back up PT.

Second Honeymoon
05-23-2008, 04:48 PM
It was a question not a fact or a belief.

Picking up Taylor would not be mortgaging the future or hindering development to any discernable degree. In fact, it could be argued that a prospect would probably have a better chance of developing if they can follow Mario and Taylor anyway. He could learn behind and get his reps in practice and get some backup duty. Who is this DE that you think could be so good that you would pass on 2 or 3 years of JT at DE? That is all I am saying. Weaver is still young but he would have to make big strides to be a viable starter on a playoff-level defense...and that is the goal, playoffs. We have some good role player types but we need another playmaker besides Mario on the end. If JT could be had for a 3rd Rounder, the only reason to not sign him would be if the franchise wasn't making money or if the team was in cap hell...which we arent and the Casserley dead money is almost gone.

I think Houston is a perfect destination for JT as he would get the opportunity to face the Dolphins in about 6 months and we have no taxes, cheap housing, decent nightlife, and his wife is Zach Thomas' sister who is from Texas. Zach may be playing in Dallas but I am sure that would be good for everyone and they could keep the elite pad in Miami.

I just don't want to see him go to Dallas, Oakland, Indy, JVille, Tennessee (like Bud would actually spend money...gmab), or any team from teh Northeast.

If San Diego gets him, and they have been rumored to have already made the reported 4th Round offer, that has got to scare the rest of the NFL much less AFC.

Spec, I totally respect where you are coming from and you want to build from within and keep the team young and I totally agree with that but you also have to supplant the youth with quality veterans at key positions if they become available without having to give up lots of picks. At the end of the day, I just can't see any equation where JT doesn't help the Texans win football games. McNair has to pony up the money to pick up the contract because that is what owners have to do to win championships. You can't rely on free agency like the Redskins have tried to do, but you can help critical spots through FA like the Pats and Colts.

Double Barrel
05-23-2008, 04:55 PM

I read this post as support for picking up JT.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong? idonno:

It sounds like Mr teX is saying that whoever backs up JT/Mario would still get time to develop his skills, even if it's only 30-40 snaps a year. And he'd be learning from one of the best, so that helps him develop, as all.

Hervoyel
05-23-2008, 05:10 PM
Older players make me nervous and being a Texans fan I think I've "earned" the right to be nervous about them. Taylor does have that air about him of being the guy who still gets it done. I think he's probably got a couple of years left in him and having him on the other side of the line opposite Mario Williams does make it tough to protect your QB.

Maybe I'm just succumbing to the Kool-aid or maybe I'm bored because there's not much happening in the football world right now but I'm coming around to the idea that he could be a very useful veteran pickup for us. We're a time on the rise and he's one of those pieces that get you over the hump. Just having Mario playing with him and talking to him for a couple of training camps would probably help with Mario's productivity. Having Mario on the opposite side would probably extend Taylor's as well.

Second Honeymoon
05-23-2008, 05:13 PM
Older players make me nervous and being a Texans fan I think I've "earned" the right to be nervous about them. Taylor does have that air about him of being the guy who still gets it done. I think he's probably got a couple of years left in him and having him on the other side of the line opposite Mario Williams does make it tough to protect your QB.

Maybe I'm just succumbing to the Kool-aid or maybe I'm bored because there's not much happening in the football world right now but I'm coming around to the idea that he could be a very useful veteran pickup for us. We're a time on the rise and he's one of those pieces that get you over the hump. Just having Mario playing with him and talking to him for a couple of training camps would probably help with Mario's productivity. Having Mario on the opposite side would probably extend Taylor's as well.

Could you imagine both Mario and Taylor in the Pro Bowl? Two of our own anchoring the ends on defense for the AFC.

Oh and you have more than earned the right to be skeptical about bringing older veterans into the fold here in Houston. We are probably really lucky we didn't end up with Pace too. He hasn't played up to his contract since our attempt to woo him here. I totally get where you are coming from, but this deal would make everyone happy except Bob's wallet. Picking up one of the highest contracts in the league isn't exactly a $1 doublechee at Mickey D's, but I think it could be something to put us over the top and make us truly relevant and even the P word.

At the end of the day, as long as no one on our schedule gets Taylor, I am happy.
He better not go to Jville...that is for damn sure.

Lucky
05-23-2008, 05:24 PM
At the end of the day, as long as no one on our schedule gets Taylor, I am happy.
He better not go to Jville...that is for damn sure.
Jacksonville has too many DEs on their roster, as is. And they still need to re-sign Paul Spicer. Besides, Taylor will want to go to the Pats or the Pokes. I'm betting he ends up with his brother-in-law in Dallas. All part of Jerry Jones' "Wow" offseason.

Second Honeymoon
05-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Jacksonville has too many DEs on their roster, as is. And they still need to re-sign Paul Spicer. Besides, Taylor will want to go to the Pats or the Pokes. I'm betting he ends up with his brother-in-law in Dallas. All part of Jerry Jones' "Wow" offseason.

JVille was one of the first rumored but after their haul in the draft, they may feel satisfied at DE. I think I mentioned them mostly because they were one of the first rumored destinations along with Tampa Bay (who I feel is still the most likely. Glazer just won a bunch of money and prestige in the European Champions League title with Manchester United so he may be a spendy mood to try and grab another Lombardi Trophy as well) The idea of him playing for JVille didn't look appealing.

I'm not a Cowboys hater and even I don't want to see JT in Dallas. I don't want what happened to MLB to happen to the NFL. The haves and have nots. It's already pretty bad with the cheap owners of certain NFL teams (Titans and Bills come to mind) but there is still a relative balance amongst the league. If the gates are opened, the league will start to suck for most fans....possibly even ourselves.

I remember a day when there were Royals fans. Those days are pretty much gone. Do we want the Bills to become the next Royals? oh wait, I am probably asking the wrong fanbase that question. Buffalo can bite me nut. Frank Reich, 35-3, FU Bills.

have a great weekend...and everyone try and be safe. the roads are a mess

ObsiWan
05-23-2008, 06:11 PM
Anthony Weaver, Petey Faggins, Jordan Black, and a $150 coupon to the dance shoe store of his choice.
:)

Actually, J.T. wouldn't be a bad one/two-yr pick up. I'd wager he's got the "I've got something to prove" mentality too. Whoever gets him will be getting a vet on a mission. And with him not having to play every down, I think he'd be productive.

The problem is, his pro bowl level salary.

Second Honeymoon
05-23-2008, 07:56 PM
Anthony Weaver, Petey Faggins, Jordan Black, and a $150 coupon to the dance shoe store of his choice.

Actually, J.T. wouldn't be a bad one/two-yr pick up. I'd wager he's got the "I've got something to prove" mentality too. Whoever gets him will be getting a vet on a mission. And with him not having to play every down, I think he'd be productive.

pro bowl players get pro bowl salary...you gotta pay to play

edo783
05-23-2008, 09:32 PM
My main concern with JT is that I have the feeling that he has mentaly checked out of pro ball. If he can gear his thinking up for a couple of years....then, heck yes as long as we don't screw the pooch cap wise or too high a draft pick (3rd Max IMO).

Hottoddie
05-24-2008, 12:07 AM

How is this a problem? Is his salary guaranteed? Anyone know the details of his contract?

How much of his cap hit is bonus money? The bonus money would have to be paid by Miami. If it's like a typical contract, his base salary will be small compared to his total cap hit & it's not guaranteed. That means, when his skills start erroding, we waive him & owe him nothing.

ChampionTexan
05-24-2008, 12:18 AM
How is this a problem? Is his salary guaranteed? Anyone know the details of his contract?

How much of his cap hit is bonus money? The bonus money would have to be paid by Miami. If it's like a typical contract, his base salary will be small compared to his total cap hit & it's not guaranteed. That means, when his skills start erroding, we waive him & owe him nothing.

Last year (2007) his base salary was $7MM. I'm not sure it's correct, but I've heard 2008 is $8MM. His current contract runs thru the '09 season, but I haven't heard anything about the final year base salary - presumably it's as much or more than '08.

Drew_Smoke
05-24-2008, 11:21 AM

My Husband!!!!!!!!

LOL...my wife is still trying to trade for The Rock. I gotta be a decent fella because I haven't done away with her lifesize cut out of him.....yet.

For Jason Taylor...I gotta a big fat 4th rounder and some castawayed recreational narcotics.

Mr PC
05-24-2008, 06:39 PM
3rd round pick + DE Weaver

As old as he is, Taylor would be a good addition because he will have an immediate impact.

mussop
05-24-2008, 08:59 PM
What would you give for Jason Taylor?

2, brand new, still in the box and in perfect condition David Carr bobblehead dolls.

Dayad
05-25-2008, 10:23 PM
I would just question Taylor's motivation right now. It could be that he's playing this out so he can get out of Miami. But if he's looking at going Hollywood....then I don't think you give up anything and just pass.

TexanSam
05-25-2008, 10:53 PM
I would just question Taylor's motivation right now. It could be that he's playing this out so he can get out of Miami. But if he's looking at going Hollywood....then I don't think you give up anything and just pass.

Hell, if you played for a team as bad as Miami was, wouldn't you be looking for another job too???

Second Honeymoon
05-25-2008, 11:59 PM
Hell, if you played for a team as bad as Miami was, wouldn't you be looking for another job too???

taylor isn't in TC because Parcells and Ireland havent talked to Taylor more than 4 minutes total this offseason. Wouldn't you be pissed and not participate in OTAs? He knows he isn't going to be a Dolphin and Parcells and Ireland are kinda being pricks about the whole thing. Trying to send a message to their team that things are indeed changing around there when you are giving up your best player from 07. that is rebuilding mode.

someone is going to give them a 2nd Rounder and they are going to have a perennial Pro Bowl player at a very critical position. I would give them Weaver and a 3rd Rounder but I don't think that gets the job done. Weaver has a pretty big contract considering how average he is.

With Taylor involved in the dancing with the starts show, I am sure Bill wasn't a fan of the whole dancing thing, but if its good enough for Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith, why bemoan him getting involved in it? Frankly, it probably helped keep him in incredible shape while letting him get away from football amidst the regime change that was mishandled by Bill/Ireland from Day One. I just think the guy deserved better than to be given the silent treatment.

as long as the guy doesnt go the AFC South, Dallas, or New England, I really dont care.

Wolf
05-26-2008, 01:29 AM
could had speculation of chargers

http://www.propeller.com/viewstory/2008/05/25/chargers-could-be-interested-in-dancing-with-the-stars-loser-jason-taylor/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsports.aol.com%2Ffanhouse%2F2008 %2F05%2F24%2Fchargers-could-be-interested-in-dancing-with-the-stars-loser-j%2F&frame=true

Plus, Salguero knows things:

"... I KNOW they have called about Taylor. The Chargers are aware their championship window of opportunity is closing. Running back LaDainian Tomlinson said as much recently. The team also is very familiar with Taylor because former Dolphins general manager Randy Mueller joined that team as an assistant to general manager A.J. Smith about three weeks ago."

As PFT points out, Taylor was the guy who suggested Shawne Merriman shouldn't play in the NFL for cheating, so that might make for a fun locker room introduction. (Actually, if Taylor gave San Diego an even better chance to win the Super Bowl, I think Merriman could find it in his heart to forgive him, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.)

threetoedpete
05-29-2008, 07:57 PM

Well the '09 board is loaded with DE's. Spending # 1 picks on thirty something atheletes with a two or three year window is, I'm sorry ...beyond stupid. If they were going to do that they should of got into the market for Jared Allen...bout the same risk. Now if they were one veteran way from a SB run it would be different. But we're not.

I would like to hear your theory there on just what the heck happened to Edge on his way from being a probowl RB for indy to what he is now with the cardinals ?
The only gas Taylor has left in the tank is what he gets after going to the burrito bar. And if Tuna can find some fool to part with a one for that, I'm sure he'd be a very happy tuna.

Sorry charlie. real bad idea.

threeputtsam
06-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Petey Faggins for Jason taylor

76Texan
06-03-2008, 06:12 PM
10 official NFL pigskins and a 4th in a heartbeat.

If they want a third, we keep the balls and ask for their 4th (which may turn out to be very close to our 3rd, LOL!)