PDA

View Full Version : Houston learns today about Super Bowl

Wolf
05-20-2008, 12:22 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5791042.html

Texans owner Bob McNair knew all along that it was not going to be easy to get Houston in the Super Bowl rotation. The city was awarded the 2004 Super Bowl after McNair agreed to pay a record $700 million for the Texans franchise.

Money worked the first time, but McNair understood another Super Bowl would have to be earned. Today, he will find out if NFL owners agree Houston has done just that.

McNair and the Houston Super Bowl committee, which is chaired by John Nau III, will present their bid to the NFL owners in a meeting today in Atlanta. With Indianapolis and Arizona the primary competitors, McNair hopes Houston is ultimately awarded the 2012 Super Bowl.

"Everyone is assuring me that we're very competitive and we're in the running," McNair said. "Of course Indianapolis is trying to sell their city on the basis that, 'We just built a new stadium and you owe it to us.' Of course I remind them, 'If that's the case, you owe Houston because you didn't give us the Super Bowl because we built a stadium. You gave us a Super Bowl because I paid you.'

"People have heard what Indianapolis is saying, and it's been repeated quite a bit. But everybody that was here in 2004 thought the city did a great job. They love our stadium. We have the facilities here. And I think there's no city that is better prepared to put on a Super Bowl and to do it properly than Houston."

Goldensilence
05-20-2008, 12:31 PM
What better City to host a SB then Houston in the middle of a dynasty in 2012?!

On a slightly more serious note. I think after the Job Houston did in 2004 it deserves another shot at hosting a SB.

Hardcore Texan
05-20-2008, 12:39 PM
I really hope we get it, but I am willing to bet the give it to Indy, I hope I am wrong.

BigTimeTexanFan
05-20-2008, 12:46 PM
I think it was John McClain that said this, but I'm not sure. He said he thought Indy would get the Superbowl in 2012, but they might go ahead and vote for the next one at the same time and that Houston has a better shot at that one (2013).

adam
05-20-2008, 01:04 PM
New stadium or not, Indianapolis is not a good place to host a Super Bowl. I used to live there and I can assure you that it's a relatively small, uneventful town with very cold Februarys. It just lacks SB intangibles.

JCTexan
05-20-2008, 01:12 PM
And what if Indy goes to the superbowl the same year they host it? Will they have it somewhere else or just let Indy have homefield advantage?

DBCooper
05-20-2008, 01:51 PM
And what if Indy goes to the superbowl the same year they host it? Will they have it somewhere else or just let Indy have homefield advantage?

You earn it, you get to keep it.

I would love to see Houston in the Super Bowl while they host it.

Ok, I don't care about the city, just the Super Bowl!

Ole Miss Texan
05-20-2008, 02:19 PM
A "Dallas at Houston" Super Bowl would be insane... :fans:

Yankee_In_TX
05-20-2008, 02:47 PM
I think it was John McClain that said this, but I'm not sure. He said he thought Indy would get the Superbowl in 2012, but they might go ahead and vote for the next one at the same time and that Houston has a better shot at that one (2013).

I remember hearing owners kinda' get a wink-wink and nudge-nudge about getting a Super Bowl before they build a new stadium. Where was the last new satdium to NOT get a Super Bowl within a few years of completion?

Errant Hothy
05-20-2008, 02:49 PM
I remember hearing owners kinda' get a wink-wink and nudge-nudge about getting a Super Bowl before they build a new stadium. Where was the last new satdium to NOT get a Super Bowl within a few years of completion?

Pittsburgh probably.

Tennesse?

Seattle?

Texan_Bill
05-20-2008, 02:52 PM

Tennesse?

Agree with Tennessee, also I would add Washington's FedEx Field (although it opened in 1997??) and is also the largest capacity in the NFL (currently).

b0ng
05-20-2008, 02:55 PM

No it wouldn't cause I would go to jail for assaulting a cowboys fan.

ubecool454
05-20-2008, 02:58 PM
New stadium or not, Indianapolis is not a good place to host a Super Bowl. I used to live there and I can assure you that it's a relatively small, uneventful town with very cold Februarys. It just lacks SB intangibles.

Well it looks like the NFL owners don't agree with you because Indy gets 2012 SB. If they let Detroit host on I can't see why Indy can't. Just give them one to showcase their new stadium and then bring those superbowls back down south where they belong. We might get 2013 unless they give it to MIAMI...again. You are right about Indy being small, but most NFL cities seem small to this spread out place we call Houston.

HOU-TEX
05-20-2008, 03:00 PM
Agree with Tennessee, also I would add Washington's FedEx Field (although it opened in 1997??) and is also the largest capacity in the NFL (currently).

What in Tennessee could attract any Super Bowl votes? I mean, there's only a certain amount of fun to be had in loogie spittin contests. Maybe a competitive game of pin the rug on Bud? Or maybe a game of "Are you smarter than'....Vince Young?

:gun:

Texan_Bill
05-20-2008, 03:01 PM
No it wouldn't cause I would go to jail for assaulting a cowboys fan.

I'm pretty sure we could put together a general 'bail' fund for you and some others - that might be tempted.

TexansLucky13
05-20-2008, 03:05 PM
If it's not in Houston there is no better place than Indy. I will love to see how the Colts fans react to the Texans playing in their stadium in February.

:fans:

Double Barrel
05-20-2008, 03:08 PM
NFL owners don't like H-town. I'm sure our burning hatred of Dud Adams doesn't help.

hobie
05-20-2008, 03:17 PM
I know the league wants to spread it around, but Detroit and now Indy, I guess the NFL is ok with everything being held indoors come February...

I knew Houston would not get it...And Phoenix just had it, so Indy and the new stadium was a lock. I do not see it being held here any time soon...

But who cares, I would rather see several playoff games in Reliant than the Super Bowl !!

TexanSam
05-20-2008, 03:20 PM

I think if a team builds a new stadium with a retractable roof, then it's virtually guaranteed to get a Super Bowl. If Indy had chosen to build an open air stadium, I don't think they would have gotten the Super Bowl.

b0ng
05-20-2008, 03:24 PM
McClain seems to think that there's not a good chance of Houston getting a superbowl bid in the next 10 years. I don't think that's too far off the mark (for once), and it seems that the NFL in general has always had a distaste for Houston NFL teams.

Even though this city could probably host an Olympics and it not be too much to handle, the Superbowl is just too much.

Second Honeymoon
05-20-2008, 03:28 PM

I would take a "Houston at Dallas" Super Bowl as well....just as insane...

would be a great thing for Texas either way....Jerrah kinda punked McNair so we need to hope that Dallas' new uberstadium doesnt steal all our thunder.

personally, i would like a Super Bowl for our economy but as a fan, it was just another game with easier access to merchandise. i didn't go to the game when it was here. i watched it in my living room just like any other game. it doesnt matter where the Super Bowl is played, it could be played on the freaking moon, but if the Texans were in it..I'd be there

its kinda crazy how the Super Bowl bids are placed, its almost like the World Cup with communities putting up huge monies/facilities to support the event. It's practically like the Olympics now.

Tailgate
05-20-2008, 03:33 PM
McClain seems to think that there's not a good chance of Houston getting a superbowl bid in the next 10 years. I don't think that's too far off the mark (for once), and it seems that the NFL in general has always had a distaste for Houston NFL teams.

Even though this city could probably host an Olympics and it not be too much to handle, the Superbowl is just too much.

Yeah, if we dont get it in 2013... then we will be a loooong was off from ever getting one again. Dallas will be more of a priority (more seating and suites) regionally along with New Orleans for the rotation. Not to mention any other open spots will have even more new stadiums vying for the Bowl just like in this case.

Double Barrel
05-20-2008, 04:06 PM
personally, i would like a Super Bowl for our economy but as a fan, it was just another game with easier access to merchandise. i didn't go to the game when it was here. i watched it in my living room just like any other game. it doesnt matter where the Super Bowl is played, it could be played on the freaking moon, but if the Texans were in it..I'd be there

The NFL Experience was a lot of fun. I took my wife & kid down there the morning of the Super Bowl, and we had a blast. The HoF exhibit was a nice attraction. I spent some time checking out all of the football history. It was also cool to see the ESPN setup during live taping. Neat behind-the-scenes experiences.

The parties and concerts downtown were loads of fun, too. They had something to offer for everyone. You just had to get off your couch and check it out. It wasn't very expensive for any of the stuff I did.

IndyDrummer
05-20-2008, 04:12 PM

Here you go, Sparky.........

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html

Looks like Indy isn't as small as you think.

Texan_Bill
05-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Here you go, Sparky.........

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html

Looks like Indy isn't as small as you think.

That doesn't bode well for Indy then:

12th +/- largest city (and note a couple of larger cities ahead of Indy don't have a team) with the lowest attendance in the NFL. I understand that the old stadium is small, but the new stadium I think will only hold a few more thousand people - like 63-64,000 (although I noticed a blurb about it being expandable to 70,000 for certain events)

Seating

Football 63,000
Luxury Suites 132 Suites
Club Seats 7,100

Lucas Oil Stadium will have seating for 63,000 that will be expandable to seat 70,000 for large events.

adam
05-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Well it looks like the NFL owners don't agree with you because Indy gets 2012 SB. If they let Detroit host on I can't see why Indy can't. Just give them one to showcase their new stadium and then bring those superbowls back down south where they belong. We might get 2013 unless they give it to MIAMI...again. You are right about Indy being small, but most NFL cities seem small to this spread out place we call Houston.

Well, the key word was relatively. ;)

Either way, good for Indy. Though, I couldn't fathom a reason (outside of a Houston game) to go to Indianapolis.

IndyDrummer
05-20-2008, 05:37 PM
That doesn't bode well for Indy then:

12th +/- largest city (and note a couple of larger cities ahead of Indy don't have a team) with the lowest attendance in the NFL. I understand that the old stadium is small, but the new stadium I think will only hold a few more thousand people - like 63-64,000 (although I noticed a blurb about it being expandable to 70,000 for certain events)

RCA Dome - 57,980

Current season ticket waiting list - 26,000+

Just as long as we dont have to start covering seats with tarps, ala Jacksonville, we'll be just fine.....:cool:

Showtime100
05-20-2008, 05:39 PM
RCA Dome - 57,980

Just as long as we dont have to start covering seats with tarps, ala Jacksonville, we'll be just fine.....:cool:

I STILL dig that avatar man...lol.

Texan_Bill
05-20-2008, 05:40 PM
RCA Dome - 57,980

I would never suggest that would be the case. I guess my point is with that size of a market I would have thought the new stadium would be closer to the 70,000 range (before any expanded seating was needed for special events).

All-Tarp Stadium and Jacksonville have their own thing going on - and really don't warrant any mention here.. :splits:

IndyDrummer
05-20-2008, 06:01 PM
I would never suggest that would be the case. I guess my point is with that size of a market I would have thought the new stadium would be closer to the 70,000 range (before any expanded seating was needed for special events).

All-Tarp Stadium and Jacksonville have their own thing going on - and really don't warrant any mention here.. :splits:

That's a good question. Me and a lot of other Colt fans deep on the waiting list are wondering the same. But from what Ive read, they gave the current season ticket holders first dibs on extra season tickets and only about 100-200 on the list got them.

And sorry about stinking up this thread with the stench of mentioning Jacksonville. :hide:

Texan_Bill
05-20-2008, 06:10 PM
That's a good question. Me and a lot of other Colt fans deep on the waiting list are wondering the same. But from what Ive read, they gave the current season ticket holders first dibs on extra season tickets and only about 100-200 on the list got them.

And sorry about stinking up this thread with the stench of mentioning Jacksonville. :hide:

No worries about Jacksonville.

Even if they gave the current season ticket holders first dibs (up to the reported capacity), it seems like it would be well worth it to add those additional 7,000 seats to take a chunk out of the current waiting list..

Who really knows?

mariowillshine15
05-20-2008, 06:25 PM
Well we get Wrestlemania next year so thats something.

GuerillaBlack
05-20-2008, 10:36 PM
I'm glad we didn't get it this year. 2013 will be so much better because the inner city rail lines will be complete. Also, if the Texans and Rodeo stop being complete idiots, then the Astrodome will get turned into a 1,000+ room Convention Hotel (think Gaylord Texan).

Mark my words, DFW's Super Bowl will suck badly. Every single little city up there wants part of the action. Fort Worth wants this, Dallas that, Grapevine this, Arlington that, and Irving this. Frisco wants this event and Plano wants to hold this one. The events up there are being spread across the entire area. In Houston, everything was generally in the loop. Only the Panthers were far away (Greenspoint).

There was no way we were going to get this Super Bowl. It was going to Indy. Now 2013 is different... I hope we get that one and then 2014 goes to Arizona.

Wolf
05-20-2008, 11:45 PM
I wonder what kind of crowd noise err I mean speakers will go into the new Indy stadium:specnatz:
:mshadows:

http://www.850thebuzz.com/blog/?p=3529