PDA

View Full Version : Texans Sign Ryan and Williams

Goldensilence
05-19-2008, 06:52 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=txtexanssignings&prov=st&type=lgns

HOUSTON (TICKER) —The Houston Texans on Monday signed a pair of free agents in tight end Ryan Krause and cornerback Jimmy Williams.

A four-year veteran, Krause, 26, played in nine games as a backup for the Green Bay Packers last season, catching two passes for 11 yards.

Williams, 29, is a six-year veteran who last played in the NFL in 2006 with the Seattle Seahawks.

In another move, the Texans released Cole Bennett, a rookie tight end out of Auburn.

kiwitexansfan
05-19-2008, 06:54 PM
I wonder if you meant people to think about Demeco and Mario.... I sure did, I was thinking contract extensions all around.

Goldensilence
05-19-2008, 06:57 PM
I wonder if you meant people to think about Demeco and Mario.... I sure did, I was thinking contract extensions all around.

That's initially what I thought but was like...isn't it a bit too early to get those extensions done?

Isn't Jimmy Williams a former Vtech guy too? I remember him being able to lay the wood.

Hottoddie
05-19-2008, 06:58 PM
Wow! That gives the Texans 15 CB's/DB's/S's on the roster fighting for 4 positions + depth. Talk about competition.

Correction: Make that 17 when they sign Molden/Barber.

mattieuk
05-19-2008, 07:01 PM

Got me reading it!

Anyone know how useful these guys are?

D-ReK
05-19-2008, 07:51 PM
That's initially what I thought but was like...isn't it a bit too early to get those extensions done?

Isn't Jimmy Williams a former Vtech guy too? I remember him being able to lay the wood.

You're thinking of Jimmy F. Williams, who went to VaTech and got drafted by the Falcons. We signed Jimmy R. Williams, who went to Vanderbilt and last played in 2006. Consequently, neither of them are former Astros manager Jimy Williams.

The Pencil Neck
05-19-2008, 10:59 PM
Got me reading it!

Anyone know how useful these guys are?

Camp fodder, I suspect.

thunderkyss
05-20-2008, 11:50 AM

I was hoping he ment Ricky Williams.

adam
05-20-2008, 12:48 PM
Wow! That gives the Texans 15 CB's/DB's/S's on the roster fighting for 4 positions + depth. Talk about competition.

Correction: Make that 17 when they sign Molden/Barber.

Indeed, but I'm willing to bet that the lot of it is camp fodder...as there is really no competition for Robinson's, Bennett's, and possibly Earl's spot on the depth chart. Molden, just to speculate, may come in to replace Faggins at the nickle corner spot. I'm sure a lot of these secondary guys will be hacked off before pre-season gets underway.

HOU-TEX
05-20-2008, 01:34 PM
Indeed, but I'm willing to bet that the lot of it is camp fodder...as there is really no competition for Robinson's, Bennett's, and possibly Earl's spot on the depth chart. Molden, just to speculate, may come in to replace Faggins at the nickle corner spot. I'm sure a lot of these secondary guys will be hacked off before pre-season gets underway.

Earl's going to be fighting for a roster spot much less a starting role.

IIRC, Fletcher has the nickel position and it should be his to lose. It'd be great if the rook could beat him out as it would improve our depth.

:texflag:

adam
05-20-2008, 02:10 PM
Earl's going to be fighting for a roster spot much less a starting role.

IIRC, Fletcher has the nickel position and it should be his to lose. It'd be great if the rook could beat him out as it would improve our depth.

:texflag:

Oops, I had a brain fart on the Earl thing. I was thinking of Will Demps.

As for Fletcher, he is solid but shouldn't (in my opinion) be considered a lock for the position. He's not getting any younger and is, at his best, an above average CB. I would prefer to see Molden get some reps and reserve Fletcher for fairly reliable depth.

HOU-TEX
05-20-2008, 02:14 PM
Oops, I had a brain fart on the Earl thing. I was thinking of Will Demps.

As for Fletcher, he is solid but shouldn't (in my opinion) be considered a lock for the position. He's not getting any younger and is, at his best, an above average CB. I would prefer to see Molden get some reps and reserve Fletcher for fairly reliable depth.

Yeah, Will came on strong towards the end of the season. Hopefully he's got a Juggs machine at the house because his hands must've been sponsered by Acme Brick Company last season.

I agree. Like I mentioned, I hope Molden's able to win that position. It's improve our depth too.

Dr2bKay
05-21-2008, 04:22 PM
You're thinking of Jimmy F. Williams, who went to VaTech and got drafted by the Falcons. We signed Jimmy R. Williams, who went to Vanderbilt and last played in 2006. Consequently, neither of them are former Astros manager Jimy Williams.

Very interesting that we picked Jimmy, I knew him during college. He was a good player then...haven't heard much about him since he left Nashville...

TexanBacker93
05-22-2008, 03:35 PM
I don't know if teams will be carrying as much "camp fodder" this season. Without NFL Europe teams can only have 80 players going into camp. Right now the Texans list 87, but the 7 draft picks haven't been signed so they don't count. Once they start signing players will have to disappear. I doubt the team will bring 5 QBs into camp. A couple of those DBs might also be pre-camp cuts.

It means we might see better competition during preseason games, but we might also start seeing injuries.