PDA

View Full Version : Bills Everett released

drewmar74
05-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Well, you knew that it was coming - that Bills TE Kevin Everett who suffered that God-awful neck injury last season would ultimately have to be released. He's blessed to be able to walk and it's hard not to be thankful that he's doing as well as he is given the circumstances.

Would is really interesting to me, though, is how well he's going to be doing financially even after being released. Found this little nugget regarding his situation:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/345442.html

Tight end Kevin Everett, who suffered a career-ending cervical spinal cord injury last season, will be placed on the waived/failed physical list by the Buffalo Bills today. The move is not surprising because the Bills can't carry Everett on the active roster because of his injury. However, the decision wasn't done just for football reasons. By being released, Everett can now pursue benefits that will ensure his financial stability. Starting today, he can apply for a long-term disability payment of $224,000 a year over the life span of his injury. An injured player is not eligible for this benefit while he's on an active roster. Everett also can apply for a onetime payment of $75,000 as part of the Player Health Reimbursement Plan.

Specnatz
05-13-2008, 11:42 AM
I thought a player who was injured could not be released if they were under contract?

Goldensilence
05-13-2008, 12:12 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-everett&prov=ap&type=lgns

The Bills actually did something that lessens my disdain for their organization. They had to release him so he could get nfl player benefits. What he has accomplished is nothing short of amazing. Best wishes to him and his family.

PapaL
05-13-2008, 12:14 PM
I thought a player who was injured could not be released if they were under contract?

He's not actually released but rather "placed on the waived/failed physical list".

Lucky
05-13-2008, 12:19 PM
The NFL & the NFLPA will be under the microscope regarding Everett's treatment under the disability and insurance plan. They can't afford to screw this up.

toronto
05-13-2008, 01:11 PM
The NFL & the NFLPA will be under the microscope regarding Everett's treatment under the disability and insurance plan. They can't afford to screw this up.

After watching and listening to Joe DeLamielleure torch Upshaw at every turn he gets, you got that right.

There are a lot of retired players that wouldn't shed a tear if Upshaw got hit by a truck.

aj.
05-13-2008, 01:21 PM

There's an injury settlement process as part of the CBA that enables the player to recover some amount of compensation. If the player and the team can't come to a mutually agreeable settlement, the NFLPA also a has grievance process that involves a third party arbitrator.

Texaninlild
05-13-2008, 01:37 PM
After watching and listening to Joe DeLamielleure torch Upshaw at every turn he gets, you got that right.

There are a lot of retired players that wouldn't shed a tear if Upshaw got hit by a truck.

What are you talking about...they would be driving the truck!!

drewmar74
05-13-2008, 02:40 PM
The Bills actually did something that lessens my disdain for their organization. They had to release him so he could get nfl player benefits. What he has accomplished is nothing short of amazing. Best wishes to him and his family.

Agreed.

I just posted it because good news is hard to come by here lately and I though that Kevin's story might fall into that "good news" category.....

Showtime100
05-13-2008, 03:02 PM
Agreed.

I just posted it because good news is hard to come by here lately and I though that Kevin's story might fall into that "good news" category.....

Nice post. I saw this story this morning and it seemed to me like a feel good story, the Bills finally made me think less evil thoughts about them as well. I would agree about the truck and Upshaw, though..lol.

Brando
05-13-2008, 04:24 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-everett&prov=ap&type=lgns

Exactly. I'm glad he was able to walk again. I'm sure he is not done with football. I'm not saying he is going to play again but I have a feeling he will be an assistant coach or remain in the the NFL in some capacity.