PDA

View Full Version : "Hard Knocks" to follow Cowboys

andre'
05-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Hard Knocks, the weekly documentary show that follows an NFL team through training camp, will focus this year on the Dallas Cowboys, CBS 11 in Dallas is reporting.

The show will apparently continue to be produced by NFL Films and shown on HBO.

Hard Knocks began in 2001, focusing on the Baltimore Ravens’ training camp and then focused on the Cowboys the following year. In 2007 it followed the Kansas City Chiefs’ camp.

Storylines the show is likely to focus on for this year’s version of the show include the hands-on approach of owner Jerry Jones, how rookie running back Felix Jones adjusts to his first camp, restricted free agent running back Marion Barber’s contract negotiations and the relationship between wide receiver Terrell Owens and quarterback Tony Romo.

The Cowboys’ training camp will open in late July in Oxnard, California.

Carr Bombed
05-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Normally I'd be like....."WTF, the Cowboys already got a "hard knocks" show", but this year........That's actually a show I'd like to watch, especially if Pacman is in camp. From "hard knocks" to "hard time".......that's primetime television.

andre'
05-05-2008, 09:05 PM
hahah +1

DiehardChris
05-06-2008, 03:39 AM
This show is on every night in syndication. It's called COPS.

aj.
05-06-2008, 08:00 AM
They were on HK in '02 as well. If history repeats itself, that's not a good omen. I recall Gary Walker's quote:

"Now they can go back to Dallas and have a hard-knock life. We ruined their season."

Texan_Bill
05-06-2008, 08:23 AM
Normally I'd be like....."WTF, the Cowboys already got a "hard knocks" show", but this year........That's actually a show I'd like to watch, especially if Pacman is in camp. From "hard knocks" to "hard time".......that's primetime television.

This show is on every night in syndication. It's called COPS.

Awesome!! Rep'd both...

Last time they were on 'Hard Knocks' was the 2002 season, no? I think they went 5-11 - which also included a 19-10 loss to some uppity expansion team....

StarStruck
05-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Awesome!! Rep'd both...

Last time they were on 'Hard Knocks' was the 2002 season, no? I think they went 5-11 - which also included a 19-10 loss to some uppity expansion team....

I sure hope those 5-11 days are behind us. Good grief, we were bad.

Texan_Bill
05-06-2008, 11:40 AM
I sure hope those 5-11 days are behind us. Good grief, we were bad.

What?!? Really?? I thought Quincy Carter was the shiznit...

:sarcasm:

Dread-Head
05-06-2008, 11:56 AM
I sure hope those 5-11 days are behind us.

I don't.
:user:

Texan_Bill
05-06-2008, 11:58 AM
0-16 is the only acceptable record for the 'gurls as far as DH is concerned. :splits:

StarStruck
05-06-2008, 04:28 PM
0-16 is the only acceptable record for the 'gurls as far as DH is concerned. :splits:

That about sums it up. On second thought, he would still find a way to try to convince himself how much he hates the Boys. Too vocal, and I'm beginning not to believe him.
:goodpost: :hides:

Corrosion
05-06-2008, 05:25 PM

I wish they could figure out a way to lose 32 games this season .... and the next and the next and the next ...... as long as JJ is the owner I hope they flounder in complete and total ineptitude ..... I kinda feel sorry for Wade Phillips having to work for the Mark Cuban of football ...... in the same town no less . :gun:

GuerillaBlack
05-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Why the hell do they get it again? They should let each team in the NFL have it at least once. Do more than one team per season. Maybe go by divisions each year.

Texan_Bill
05-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Why the hell do they get it again? They should let each team in the NFL have it at least once. Do more than one team per season. Maybe go by divisions each year.

But comrade, it's zeee cowboyz. Zey are the NFL'z team, yes? You must obey or you must be broken.

Do not make meez report you to the politburo, no!

GuerillaBlack
05-06-2008, 05:46 PM
**** the Cowboys.

WWJD
05-06-2008, 06:40 PM
I wish they could figure out a way to lose 32 games this season .... and the next and the next and the next ...... as long as JJ is the owner I hope they flounder in complete and total ineptitude ..... I kinda feel sorry for Wade Phillips having to work for the Mark Cuban of football ...... in the same town no less . :gun:

I'm no huge Jerry fan but he's a hundred times the owner Mr. Cuban is.

Go Stars!

Carr Bombed
05-06-2008, 06:45 PM

Say what you will, but a national aired Cowboys' training camp show would tromp the hell out of a national aired Houston Texans training camp show. It's a business and ratings bring money. On a national scale, people don't even know who the hell we are yet..........we haven't done anything.

and to be honest.......even I want to watch this show, especially if Pacman is in camp. I hope it turns into a circus.

Corrosion
05-06-2008, 06:51 PM
and to be honest.......even I want to watch this show, especially if Pacman is in camp. I hope it turns into a circus.

Jerry Jones ..... TO ..... Pacman ..... Top it off with Romo and his girls ? ...... Its already a circus . :spit:

Corrosion
05-06-2008, 06:52 PM
I'm no huge Jerry fan but he's a hundred times the owner Mr. Cuban is.

Go Stars!

Yeah at least he doesnt make a total ass of himself by crying to the ref's on the sideline ..... But the guy still has more money than brains (at least when it comes to football).

WWJD
05-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Jerry is the master at marketing his product and that would be the Cowboys. It doesn't surprise me that he would want them on the show again.

Their training camps are always a circus. This won't be any different than any other time. All those guys are use to it.

GuerillaBlack
05-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Say what you will, but a national aired Cowboys' training camp show would tromp the hell out of a national aired Houston Texans training camp show. It's a business and ratings bring money. On a national scale, people don't even know who the hell we are yet..........we haven't done anything.

Of course it will. I'm jut saying, let other teams have a chance. Do a division cycle.

Cowboys Training Camps aren't really a circus. I was living in Dallas last year when the season was just starting, and it really wasn't that much. It was a big event (down in San Antonio), but I didn't feel anything up there in DFW. People were just excited the season was starting.

But I wish Bob McNair would take a page out of Jerry Jones' book on how to market a team.

WWJD
05-06-2008, 07:01 PM
Yeah at least he doesnt make a total ass of himself by crying to the ref's on the sideline ..... But the guy still has more money than brains (at least when it comes to football).

Jerry is actually a very clever man...Jimmy Johnson said he's never meet anybody as good at business as Jerry. That I do believe. He's very innovative with the marketing of the Cowboys.

To me he's just like any other football guy when he does get involved in that end of it. Sometimes the stuff he does is very good for the team and other times the decisions don't work out. Just like any other GM in the NFL.

WWJD
05-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Of course it will. I'm jut saying, let other teams have a chance. Do a division cycle.

Cowboys Training Camps aren't really a circus. I was living in Dallas last year when the season was just starting, and it really wasn't that much. It was a big event (down in San Antonio), but I didn't feel anything up there in DFW. People were just excited the season was starting.

But I wish Bob McNair would take a page out of Jerry Jones' book on how to market a team.

I have nothing but admiration for Mr. McNair but wonder why he doesn't take the Texans to another city for training camp...it would only increase their fan base.

The Cowboys have tons of fans in California. Why? Because they trained there for years and I believe are going to again. People go...they get attached to a player or players they can go see at a practice or scrimmage...maybe they get a pic with that player..an autograph..and boom you may have made a fan for life.

To have the Texans train in the city where they play seems to me to be missing a whole market. Surely there are other cities where they can go..

GuerillaBlack
05-06-2008, 07:45 PM
That's what I am thinking. Don't know why they do training camp completely in Houston. Cowboys were smart by going to Oxnard, California (about 40 miles northwest of Los Angeles). Gained many fans in that area.

The Texans should go scout a city. Los Angeles is an open market. Have training camp there. Other open markets: The Rio Grande Valley, Austin, Orlando, etc.

aj.
05-06-2008, 07:57 PM
I wouldn't want to be Wade because he's a good guy and if things don't go great, there's no way he holds that locker room together. That's why I watch - car wreck/train wreck potential and nothing else.

Texans don't need to go anywhere re: camp. I used to go to Oilers TC in SA and SM and once to the other SA (when the Oilers were good) and I tell ya it was tough fighting off the other 12 people that were there for a seat in the bleachers (and that was IN Texas).

Dread-Head
05-07-2008, 12:58 AM

:spit: God, I hope he's not the " Mark Cuban of football." Didn't the Mavs win a title? I don't want to see another cowgirl superbowl ...well not until the Steelers or 9ers win their 6th any way.

Corrosion
05-07-2008, 01:19 AM
:spit: God, I hope he's not the " Mark Cuban of football." Didn't the Mavs win a title? I don't want to see another cowgirl superbowl ...well not until the Steelers or 9ers win their 6th any way.

LOL @ Mavs and Title mentioned in the same sentence .... thats Billaryous :smiliedance:

Carr Bombed
05-07-2008, 01:46 AM

I don't know if your being sarcastic or not, but......no the Mavs didn't win a title, instead they choked away every chance at one.

Corrosion
05-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Jerry is actually a very clever man...Jimmy Johnson said he's never meet anybody as good at business as Jerry. That I do believe. He's very innovative with the marketing of the Cowboys.
To me he's just like any other football guy when he does get involved in that end of it. Sometimes the stuff he does is very good for the team and other times the decisions don't work out. Just like any other GM in the NFL.

I cant and wont dispute the fact that Jerrah is a fantastic business man .... He took over one of the most profitable sports franchises in the USA and has made them even more so ...... Thats why the "(at least when it comes to football)" .... I just think he's better off leaving football to the football guy's and stick to what's made him a very rich man .(Which is why I relate him to Cuban , they are way too hands on in the personel department)

HOU-TEX
05-07-2008, 01:02 PM
When does this show begin? I've seen commercials on NFLN saying Hard Knocks with the Chiefs starts May 7(I think). Are there 2 different shows? Or is the one with the Chiefs from last year. I've never watched any of the Hard Knocks because I always thought it was kinda dumb, but from what y'all say it might be worth watching.

The Pencil Neck
05-07-2008, 04:04 PM
When does this show begin? I've seen commercials on NFLN saying Hard Knocks with the Chiefs starts May 7(I think). Are there 2 different shows? Or is the one with the Chiefs from last year. I've never watched any of the Hard Knocks because I always thought it was kinda dumb, but from what y'all say it might be worth watching.

Chiefs are from last year.

HOU-TEX
05-07-2008, 04:21 PM
Chiefs are from last year.

That's what I initially thought, but questioned it because the promo stated it was the "premiere". Which usually means the first showing of an event?

Eh, I'll just blame it on Rod Woodson.

Texans_Chick
05-07-2008, 05:04 PM

You mean acquire guys who you think will help you win even though they are questionable guys?

Or bring in a film crew to be a distraction during training camp? You think that the Tuna would have allowed such a thing?

I would never trade my owner for Jerry Jones in a million bazillion years. Texas Stadium already had a weak homefield advantage, and now that the field level seats are selling for a gazillion dollars a piece, all those seats will be owned by ticket brokers and salad-eating corporate types.

Given the history of the Cowboys, it doesn't take much to market the team of Staubach. Jerry just has to not screw it up. I wish I had a dollar for all the fans I've heard say...I'm a fan of the Cowboys but I hate that Jerry Jones.

GuerillaBlack
05-07-2008, 05:08 PM
You mean acquire guys who you think will help you win even though they are questionable guys?

Or bring in a film crew to be a distraction during training camp? You think that the Tuna would have allowed such a thing?

I would never trade my owner for Jerry Jones in a million bazillion years. Texas Stadium already had a weak homefield advantage, and now that the field level seats are selling for a gazillion dollars a piece, all those seats will be owned by ticket brokers and salad-eating corporate types.

Given the history of the Cowboys, it doesn't take much to market the team of Staubach. Jerry just has to not screw it up. I wish I had a dollar for all the fans I've heard say...I'm a fan of the Cowboys but I hate that Jerry Jones.

I guess. I just wish McNair would do a better job marketing the Texans outside of the Houston market.

HOU-TEX
05-07-2008, 05:12 PM
I guess. I just wish McNair would do a better job marketing the Texans outside of the Houston market.

Success is the best marketing tool for any organization. Until we're successful, nobody's going to care.:cool:

The Pencil Neck
05-07-2008, 05:36 PM
That's what I initially thought, but questioned it because the promo stated it was the "premiere". Which usually means the first showing of an event?

Eh, I'll just blame it on Rod Woodson.

It was originally on HBO. So this is the "premiere" on NFLN.

Texan_Bill
05-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Success is the best marketing tool for any organization. Until we're successful, nobody's going to care.:cool:

Exactly.. Winning will bring the exposure, and until then Bob McNair really has nothing to market other than to the hometown fans. Conversely, as TC mentioned above, the Cowboys are easy to market for Jerrah because of their past heroes such as Staubach....

I wish Bob was a better owner ONLY in the sense of the early decisions made to employ the C & C Factory and extending Carr. Seems like he's learned that lesson now though, which may be a blessing in disguise in that he went through those growing pains relatively early in the team's existence...

WWJD
05-07-2008, 05:44 PM

I am down with the success breeds new fans, etc but if he would pick anyplace outside Houston for camp they'd pick up some new fans. That's just a given.

Texan_Bill
05-07-2008, 05:52 PM
The issue I have with that is as a fan paying good money for my PSL's since day one, I want the opportunity to see training camp in person. Ultimately, I could care less what people outside of Houston think.

For the teams that train outside their cities (which the Oilers used to also), I seriously doubt the few extra thousand fans they may gain really add up to much in the bottom line. Although, it could, I could be way wrong about that.....

HOU-TEX
05-07-2008, 05:56 PM
I am down with the success breeds new fans, etc but if he would pick anyplace outside Houston for camp they'd pick up some new fans. That's just a given.

This is reason for bannage! :zipit: JK ;)

Corrosion
05-07-2008, 06:16 PM
For the teams that train outside their cities (which the Oilers used to also), I seriously doubt the few extra thousand fans they may gain really add up to much in the bottom line. Although, it could, I could be way wrong about that.....

The bottom line here is the difference between the Oilers training in San Angelo and the Cowpies training in SoCal ..... Many more potential fans to draw in SoCal than central Texas (what I would consider Cowpie country)

The Oilers I believe moved their camp to get away from the distractions in and around Houston not to mention getting away from the horrible humidity ..... while the Cowpies go to SoCal as a marketing ploy .

While I definately dont approve of some of the personel moves Jerrah has made over the years his marketing of the Cowpies has dramaticly raised the value of the team since he bought it in 1989 ..... from $140 Million to over $1.5 Billion as of September .... Third on that list is the Texans at $905 Million

Cowboys rank No. 1 in value among NFL franchises

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/DN-cowboys_14bus.ART.State.Edition1.35aa5cd.html

http://espn.go.com/sportsbusiness/s/forbes.html

GuerillaBlack
05-07-2008, 06:30 PM
SoCal is no where near Cowboy Country. So many fans of so many different teams there. I have family out there, and my cousins are Vikings fans because Randy Moss was good when they started watching football. I also have a cousin who is a fan of the Chargers because they are close by. In the Los Angeles area, people usually pick a team when they are young and grow up liking them.

Corrosion
05-07-2008, 06:31 PM
SoCal is no where near Cowboy Country. So many fans of so many different teams there.

Central Texas is Cowpie country ..... Having the Oilers there .... did very little for them marketing wise in comparison to the Cowpies being in SoCal .

GuerillaBlack
05-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Central Texas is Cowpie country ..... Having the Oilers there .... did very little for them marketing wise in comparison to the Cowpies being in SoCal .

San Angelo is not in Central Texas... Add to that, it is a extremely small market now, and even smaller back then. When I mean small, Pasadena is larger than it.

Texan_Bill
05-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Wow... And with all our crappy marketing and the fact that we hold training camp in the same city that we play, the Texans come in 4th only behind Dallas, (who is claiming a stadium not yet completed as a part of their worth), the Redskins (who have one of, if not the largest venue in the NFL), and New England (who has been somewhat of a dynasty over the last several years).

Rank Team
1 Dallas Cowboys
2 Washington Redskins
3 New England Patriots
4 Houston Texans

I'd say the Texans are doing something right.

GuerillaBlack
05-07-2008, 06:37 PM
Wow... And with all our crappy marketing and the fact that we hold training camp in the same city that we play, the Texans come in 4th only behind Dallas, (who is claiming a stadium not yet completed as a part of their worth), the Redskins (who have one of, if not the largest venue in the NFL), and New England (who has been somewhat of a dynasty over the last several years).

Rank Team
1 Dallas Cowboys
2 Washington Redskins
3 New England Patriots
4 Houston Texans

I'd say the Texans are doing something right.

Uh yeah, they are a new franchise. Have you noticed the numbers have dropped ever year?

Texan_Bill
05-07-2008, 06:38 PM
The Oilers I believe moved their camp to get away from the distractions in and around Houston not to mention getting away from the horrible humidity

Just shows what a big Nancy 'the Rug' was.

Corrosion
05-07-2008, 06:47 PM
San Angelo is not in Central Texas... Add to that, it is a extremely small market now, and even smaller back then. When I mean small, Pasadena is larger than it.

Looks pretty central to me ..... Damn near smack dab in the middle of the map .

http://search.live.com/images/results.aspx?q=texas+map&mkt=en-us#focal=a70c3d3bf1723fe0edea2eebe50416bc&furl=http%3A%2F%2Fwwp.greenwichmeantime.com%2Fimag es%2Fusa%2Ftexas.jpg

Yes it was and is a small market ..... Which is why the team had its camps there , to get away from the distractions in and around Houston and to get away from the .... Humidity ..... Im just trying to point out the difference in the Cowpies and Oilers reasons for holding TC somewhere other than the place they play ,

Just shows what a big Nancy 'the Rug' was.

Yeah , Bud was a real ..... winner wasnt he . So happy he's in our rear view mirrior .

GuerillaBlack
05-07-2008, 06:52 PM
San Angelo is more West Texas than Central. Even if you classified it as Central, it is far away from any market of considerable size.

Texan_Bill
05-07-2008, 07:06 PM
Uh yeah, they are a new franchise. Have you noticed the numbers have dropped ever year?

Ummm, no. Quite the opposite (from 2003):

Forbes has released their annual rankings of every NFL team in terms of dollar value, and the Washington Redskins are at the top of the list, once again, with an estimated value of $952 million. Rounding out the top five is Dallas at No. 2 worth $851 million, folowed by second-year franchise Houston at $791 million, New England at $756 million, and Cleveland at $695 million. The average NFL franchise is now worth approximately $625 million.

I think the current value was listed as 1,056,000,000

It has a lot more to do with the Stadium deals, how they are structured, capacity and anticapted revenue generated. The newest stadium, next to come on line is Dallas' - so it makes sense they would leap frog Washington.

As the Giants and Jets new venue comes closer to opening, their values will drastically increase (unless they were boneheads in closing their respective deals). Heck, in 2006 I think the Cardinals increased their value tremendously (around 17%) with their stadium opening.

GuerillaBlack
05-07-2008, 07:18 PM
About team worth, I was living in DFW when it was announced, and the media spun it as the Cowboys are the best team ever, blah, blah. They didn't really mention the stadium thing, but I sort of figured it out.

Texans_Chick
05-07-2008, 09:47 PM
More news on Hardknocks and a Texans mention:

Hashmarks Radio: The Sabol Interview (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-7-93/Hashmarks-Radio--The-Sabol-Interview.html)

But back to Jerry's explanation for why he thinks "Hard Knocks" is a good thing for the Cowboys:

"One of reasons that our players have this opportunity is because of the interest in this franchise," he said. "Basically it's taking advantage of promoting why it's so special to be a Dallas Cowboy."

Jerry then indicated that his players and coaches are all on board with the show, which was news to the players and coaches. One high-ranking member of the organization told me Wednesday that the coaches weren't thrilled with the arrangement, saying all the cameras might change their approach.

Bwahaha on bolded part. But wait, there's more....

The only other interesting thing to come out of today's luncheon was Jerry claiming that he never asked HBO to cut a single thing from "Hard Knocks" in 2002. I'd heard differently, but when I asked him about it, he was pretty defiant.

"Zero. Zero," he said when asked how many times he asked HBO not to air something. By the way, Houston Texans fans still remember a "Hard Knocks" episode in which Cowboys players seemed to be taking them lightly.

I believe it was defensive lineman Gary Walker who ran off the field after the Texans' franchise-opening victory over the Cowboys shouting something about "Hard Knocks."

Jerry seems to think the show and the buzz that it creates will give the Cowboys a competitive advantage. That seems like a stretch to me, but we'll find out soon enough.

Feel free to check out the entire link and leave comments regarding how the 2002 Hard Knock's show improved their competitive advantage.

lol. Jerry Jones is some silly sunglasses and a track suit removed from Al Davis. Welcome to the Raiders East.

HOU-TEX
05-08-2008, 10:13 AM
I hope our organization never agrees to do a Hard Knocks show. Sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen. Has any team done well after the filming of this show? A form of the Madden curse, but instead of an individual it's the entire team.:gun:

Texan_Bill
05-08-2008, 10:15 AM
But back to Jerry's explanation for why he thinks "Hard Knocks" is a good thing for the Cowboys:

"One of reasons that our players have this opportunity is because of the interest in this franchise," he said.

Interest? Interest in suckitude....

HOU-TEX
07-28-2008, 03:02 PM
When does Hard Knocks with the Brokebacks start? It should make for some humorous entertainment.

:texflag:

Brando
07-28-2008, 04:18 PM
When does Hard Knocks with the Brokebacks start? It should make for some humorous entertainment.

:texflag:

I think it starts August 6th.

Pac-Man gets his first endorsement as a Cowboy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9jjtKZo6-Y)

How ironic is the color of the jersey they gave him? :user: