PDA

View Full Version : How would you feel if a Texans player were on Dancing With the Stars?

TexanSam
05-03-2008, 01:28 AM
I found what Don Banks of SI had to say of the Taylor-Parcells feud interesting.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/05/02/movers/index.html
What a ridiculous story the Jason Taylor saga has become in Miami. Now the Dolphins' "Dancing with the Stars'' defensive end is ticked because the team's football czar, Bill Parcells, reportedly ignored him to his face when Taylor made a recent visit to the team complex.

I'm no big fan of Parcells' penchant for Jedi mind tricks, but what kind of greeting did Taylor really expect from a guy who has always been all about football? All Parcells knows about Taylor at this point is that he's more intent on launching his Hollywood post-playing career than he is preparing for the '08 season. Not showing your face around the Dolphins' complex except for a drive-by meet and greet isn't going to earn Parcells' respect.

When Taylor wants to act like an active and committed player who still has football as his top priority, Parcells will likely accord him the status he has earned within the Miami organization. But if Taylor deems it more important to make like the retired Emmitt Smith and Jerry Rice and dance his offseason away, he shouldn't expect Parcells to applaud the whole silly show.

How would you guys feels if a Texans player, particularly a high profile one, did this in the offseason?

Personally, I would not have a problem with it. It's not like it's easy to do the types of dances that they do on that show and it looks like it's a great way to stay in shape, something that football players (and athletes in general) have to focus on after the season. I don't know how much football related stuff there is to work on at this time in the offseason. Anyway, would you guys approve or disapprove if a player such as Demeco Ryans or Andre Johnson did something like this?

The Pencil Neck
05-03-2008, 01:36 AM
I'd be fine with it. I'd just hope that they did well so I wouldn't feel guilty about voting for them.

Showtime100
05-03-2008, 02:09 AM
I wouldn't care. The danger factor is no greater than training (I guess). Texan or not I still wouldn't watch.

Corrosion
05-03-2008, 02:12 AM
I have better things to do than watch it .... They have more important things to concentrate on than a silly TV show .... Im w/ Parcells on this one .

Xetuoh1836
05-03-2008, 02:15 AM
If my team (I block that thought from my mind) was coming off a 2-14 season, and he was "Dancing with the Has-beens", and not "focused" on his team, then, yes, I'd have a problem...

Norg
05-03-2008, 02:27 AM
I would be pretty embrassed and upset Football season is coming up do everything u can to step your game up physical and mental !!!!!

HJam72
05-03-2008, 03:15 AM
I recommend the cheerleaders instead.

DiehardChris
05-03-2008, 03:19 AM
I'd like to say it wouldn't bother me - but it would bother me. I guess I'm old school. I don't want my football team prancing and flailing around on national TV. Not that I would badmouth them - I would just have no reaction, much like Parcells.

GlassHalfFull
05-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Eric Winston is going to be on the show next spring.

Thorn
05-03-2008, 10:16 AM
* shrugs *

I don't care, and their off time from the team is not my concern as long as it doesn't impact their duties for the team. Unless they show up on Battlestar Galactia episode I wouldn't see them on non-football related TV anyway.

Hey, Super Mario as the 5th Cylon is not a bad idea!

eriadoc
05-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Seems to me a certain player was taken to task for not putting in the time and effort involved to be a good player. The same logic should apply here. Save that crap for retirement.

PapaL
05-03-2008, 10:57 AM
As long as it's the off-season and they're not breaking the law, who cares? It's their time to with as they please.

SheTexan
05-03-2008, 11:25 AM
I agree with PapaL. If they're not breaking the law, it's their business what they do during the off season. Payton Manning spent his off season making commercials, Ephram and Chester had a little fun on Ellen, and I'm sure other players do unusual things during the off season no one knows about. WHO CARES, as long as they don't voilate their contracts and stay healthy. Dancing takes more discipline, coordination, and skill than football anyway. I applaud Jason Taylor for doing the show. He's damn good at it too!! It just might make him a better football player, if that's possible!:dance:

mexican_texan
05-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Eric Winston is going to be on the show next spring.
I thought they cancelled the caveman show...

GuerillaBlack
05-03-2008, 11:44 AM
I recommend the cheerleaders instead.

I agree.

cuppacoffee
05-03-2008, 12:14 PM
If my old memory serves me right seems I can recall players taking ballet lessons. Claimed it helped them on the field.

Maybe during the Pardee run and shoot years? ..idonno:

Hell, I don't remember. Where did I leave my cup of coffee?

:coffee:

Kaiser Toro
05-03-2008, 12:38 PM
Jason Taylor staying in shape during the offseason while having fun is bad. Lawrence Taylor's behavior during the season and off season with his extra curicullars was good.

Parcells is a jerkagogue with some success without Belichick on his staff.

vtech9
05-03-2008, 12:39 PM
I, for one, think it is a great idea as long as it doesn't interfere with team obligations. Dancing is one of the best ways to stay in shape, and with the kind of work they have to put in to be good for that show, lets me know what kind of work ethic they have. I actually think being on that show would help Mario become a much better player. It would help his balance and agility, and probably give him a lot more endurance.

SheTexan
05-03-2008, 12:41 PM
If my old memory serves me right seems I can recall players taking ballet lessons. Claimed it helped them on the field.

This is true. I remember pics circulating around at the time with players hanging on to a ballet barr! Really pretty funny, at the time.

vtech9
05-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Jason Taylor staying in shape during the offseason while having fun is bad. Lawrence Taylor's behavior during the season and off season with his extra curicullars was good.

Parcells is a jerkagogue with some success without Belichick on his staff.

you forgot the :sarcasm: smiley...some people on here just might think you actually thought that way.

Nawzer
05-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Wouldn't care because I don't watch that show anyway.

Kaiser Toro
05-03-2008, 01:04 PM
you forgot the :sarcasm: smiley...some people on here just might think you actually thought that way.

I have never been a Parcells' fan having grown up with ESPN, been a Cowboy's fan in the 80's and lived in the Northeast when he was with the Pats and Jets.

The NE reporters love demagogues, they can make a career off of them.

cuppacoffee
05-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Found my cup...darn things empty. Don't remember drinking it all.

Could have sworn I just filled it.

Dahm, the pots empty, anybody know where my wife went?

Crisis all the time around here.

What were we discussing now?

El Tejano
05-03-2008, 03:10 PM
If he is still making it to OTAs and TC, there isn't a problem here.

ObsiWan
05-03-2008, 03:11 PM

Hershel Walker, in his Cowboy dayz, was one notable example.

ObsiWan
05-03-2008, 03:12 PM

I'd heard that you were main-lining the stuff. I guess that was just a rumor.
:D

TexanSam
05-03-2008, 03:45 PM
If my team (I block that thought from my mind) was coming off a 2-14 season, and he was "Dancing with the Has-beens", and not "focused" on his team, then, yes, I'd have a problem...

This is the part I don't understand. How much work is there for Jason Taylor to do at this point in the offseason to actually focus on football?

ObsiWan
05-03-2008, 03:56 PM
If he is still making it to OTAs and TC, there isn't a problem here.

I agree. And he'll probably be in better aerobic shape than most of the other guys when T/C starts. Dancing on that level is a real aerobic workout.

I don't know if getting to dance with those tight-bodied hotties is sufficient incentive to get one of our guys to appear on national TV in those tights. So this is probably very unlikely.

And Parcells needs to lighten up. Jason Taylor on Dancing with the Stars is probably the best press the Dolphins have gotten all year considering how badly they sucked.

Malloy
05-03-2008, 03:58 PM
It's as interesting as Schaub playing golf... not very :)

PapaL
05-03-2008, 04:41 PM
It's as interesting as Schaub playing golf... not very :)

While whistling with a hat on.

CloakNNNdagger
05-03-2008, 05:24 PM
http://img.slate.com/media/1/123125/123037/2111855/2123836/050809_sn_Balletboys_tn.jpg

Giant Tiger
05-03-2008, 08:57 PM
I agree with PapaL. If they're not breaking the law, it's their business what they do during the off season. Payton Manning spent his off season making commercials, Ephram and Chester had a little fun on Ellen, and I'm sure other players do unusual things during the off season no one knows about. WHO CARES, as long as they don't voilate their contracts and stay healthy. Dancing takes more discipline, coordination, and skill than football anyway. I applaud Jason Taylor for doing the show. He's damn good at it too!! It just might make him a better football player, if that's possible!:dance:

Good point. Up here it's all hockey. I work with people who don't understand football & don't know the Texans ; so I was surprised when some of my co-workers told me they saw "some Houston Texans on TV". I see it as making my team more familiar to Canadians. So I'm all for it. :fans:

cuppacoffee
05-03-2008, 11:24 PM

I'd heard that you were main-lining the stuff. I guess that was just a rumor.

Innocent I tell you, innocent. May lightning strike me if I'm lying. :lightning:

Malloy
05-04-2008, 04:54 AM
While whistling with a hat on.

You just made it exciting! :)

Scooter
05-04-2008, 06:00 AM

ballet, martial arts, yoga and others are things that many players do in order to increase their flexability to help avoid injury. maybe we should put the texans in some classes, after last season we need all the help we can get.

ObsiWan
05-04-2008, 09:03 AM
Alex Gibbs once took ballet and leg whipped the entire...
oops, wrong thread...

Xetuoh1836
05-04-2008, 01:31 PM
This is the part I don't understand. How much work is there for Jason Taylor to do at this point in the offseason to actually focus on football?

My intial response was to the question but, I'll temper that to who I am, a fan. To whoever the player is, it's a financial and (sometimes) emotional investment of my life and time. The financial is the gear, tickets, blogging, tailgating, weekends away from really important issues, including kid's, rent/mortgage, a tank of gas. Certainly, these things effect the average fans in the pocket.
Emotionally, it includes the same but, goes a bit deeper. Blue Monday's suck!

This doesn't really address the core issue of "does it matter" or "how would I feel" about a Texan on Dancing with the tards. But, as a Fan, and seeing my team go 2-14 the previous season and this player is a All-Pro, someone to draw energy, emotion, and guidence from and can impact the Team (in a positive way), then, I guess that is where my problem lies.

Then agian, I'm just a fan and I could be wrong.....:gun:

HPF Bob
05-04-2008, 03:55 PM
If the series was filmed in January-February, I really wouldn't have a problem with a Texans player performing on DWTS, unless it was Charles Spencer. I could just picture some ditzy chick slamming into the back of his leg...

DocBar
05-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Lynn Swann was the first player I heard of doing ballet to improve his balance and flexibilty. Worked out pretty well for him. I guess Taylor could stay in shape by doing 12 ounce curls then driving and finish his workout by running from the police. Then he could get on the Pacman Jones/ Chris Henry early retirement program that Commish Goodell has started. I bet Parcells would LOVE that.

Imatexanfan
05-05-2008, 10:47 PM
I have better things to do than watch it .... They have more important things to concentrate on than a silly TV show .... Im w/ Parcells on this one .

Me too they know better......but if they pay right.... well you know.:texflag:

The1ApplePie
05-05-2008, 11:23 PM
Frank Okam on Dancing with the Stars would be freakin' awsome

Kaiser Toro
05-06-2008, 12:54 AM
Frank Okam doing the helicopter into a headspin would indeed be fresh.