PDA

View Full Version : Joel Dreessen

shawn76ers
05-01-2008, 08:08 AM
Does anyone think we will bring back TE Joel Dreessen?

He had some good moment last year

TheIronDuke
05-01-2008, 08:22 AM
With the release of Jeb Putzier I would imagine Dreessen will be kept. He was a good target in the RZ.

nunusguy
05-01-2008, 08:29 AM
If memory serves Dressen is also the teams long-snapper, which is a necessity and sometimes the guy that does this is carryed on a teams roster
solely because of that skill. So Dressen should be in good shape to be retained as long as nobody else signs him.

vtech9
05-01-2008, 08:38 AM
If memory serves Dressen is also the teams long-snapper, which is a necessity and sometimes the guy that does this is carryed on a teams roster
solely because of that skill. So Dressen should be in good shape to be retained as long as nobody else signs him.

Bryan Pittman is the long snapper.

The Texans re-signed Joel Dreessen this past Saturday. I don't know anything about contract length or how much he signed for, but he is a Texan.

BigBull17
05-01-2008, 08:54 AM
We need another guy who can snap so we can cut ties with Pittman.

PapaL
05-01-2008, 08:56 AM
We need another guy who can snap so we can cut ties with Pittman.

What? Because of the Turk incident? If memory serves me right Pittman is actually a very good LS.

Dallas_Texan
05-01-2008, 11:30 AM
What? Because of the Turk incident? If memory serves me right Pittman is actually a very good LS.

No, so we don't have to carry someone just for the LS position.

kravix
05-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Pittman is one of the better long snappers in the league. Those snaps on ST for punts and FG's are just as important as the kicker and place holder. Dreesen adds depth to the position, but I think that his TE skills are what win him the job. He looked good at the end of the year and Kubiak likes having 3TE on the roster.

bah007
05-01-2008, 12:22 PM
I'll just throw this in here:

Pittman has made one bad snap so far in his 5 year NFL career.

That's pretty darn good.

TK_Gamer
05-01-2008, 12:32 PM
yes I agree, you cant go wrong with a backup LS. Some teams really get screwed when they have to spend a 5th or 6th round pick just to get another one. Dreesen played well enough at the end of the year as a TE to keep his job, the fact that he can LS is just a bonus IMO.

BigBull17
05-01-2008, 12:34 PM
No, so we don't have to carry someone just for the LS position.

Yeah, Id rather have a guy who is a little worse at snapping and contribute on offense or defense than a guy who is really good at snapping with no other skill. Pittman is a wasted roster spot, IMO

The Pencil Neck
05-01-2008, 12:40 PM
We generally want to go with 3 TE's. That will be OD, Bruener, and Dreessen.

OD is OD and if he can stop fumbling the football, he's one of the best pass catching TE's in the league. Dreessen really stepped up last year and made Putzier expendable. Bruener is our blocking TE. He rarely catches anything but... he was on the field A LOT last year. I think people overlook how much he was used by the offense. He's not the guy to get the sexy stats but he's not going anywhere.

Pittman will continue at LS even though we have Dreessen who can LS and we might still have Zgonina who also can LS in a pinch. But Pittman is a rock that you won't realize how important he is until he's gone. Kubes knows that.

badboy
05-01-2008, 12:41 PM
TC will allow an eval of Dreesen's skill as LS. Pittman is good but LS/special teams vs TE/LS/special teams may be sayonaro to BP.

bah007
05-01-2008, 12:46 PM
But Pittman is a rock that you won't realize how important he is until he's gone. Kubes knows that.

Quoted for emphasis.

Just because Dreesen can long snap, doesn't mean that Pittman is expendable.

Pittman is only expendable if Dreesen can long snap better than him.

That's an important position. I'm sometimes amused at how some fans think that guys that only play special teams are a wasted roster spot because they don't contribute on offense or defense.

But ST is 1/3 of the game, & if Pittman is a superb long snapper, then I don't care if he specializes in that.

badboy
05-01-2008, 12:53 PM
We will not need a LS as we will score on every possession this year. Also, Toro will no longer be our deep coverage.

PapaL
05-01-2008, 01:02 PM
It's funny because you guys make seem like Pittman would be a complete retard at TE. I'll take the solid dependable LS over the 15th String TE.

Scenario #1:

Coach: Hey Pittman, Run Route XYZ.

Pittman: Frank and Beans, Frank and Beans

----

Scenario #2:

Coach: Hey Pittman, Stand in front of player XYZ and attempt to block him.

Pittman: Frank and Beans, Frank and Beans

cuppacoffee
05-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Yeah, Id rather have a guy who is a little worse at snapping and contribute on offense or defense than a guy who is really good at snapping with no other skill. Pittman is a wasted roster spot, IMO

Did you forget this..:sarcasm: or are you serious?

:coffee:

Ole Miss Texan
05-01-2008, 04:29 PM
Where's that video of Pittman snapping a ball through the open window of a moving car? :respect:

shawn76ers
05-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Has Anyone else noticed the Colorado State PIPELINE we have on our team !!

Joel Dreessen is from Colorado state.
David Anderson - Colorado state
Mike Brisel - Colorado state
Dexter Wynn - Colorado state

Texan_Bill
05-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Has Anyone else noticed the Colorado State PIPELINE we have on our team !!

Joel Dreessen is from Colorado state.
David Anderson - Colorado state
Mike Brisel - Colorado state
Dexter Wynn - Colorado state

:thinking: Me thinks that Gary Kubiak's son goes to Colorado State.

BigBull17
05-02-2008, 07:54 AM
Did you forget this..:sarcasm: or are you serious?

:coffee:

No sarcasm. Pittman is good, but he is a wasted roster spot. If he could contribute anywhere else, he would be ok. But thats not the case.

Kaiser Toro
05-02-2008, 08:00 AM
IIRC Pittman has one year left on his contract and we will be having some fierce competition at many positions. I would rather Dreesen beat out Pittman than carry one less OL, CB or RB this year.

This pains me as I have been a fan of Pittman's since day one and could see him easily being inducted into the Long Snapper's Hall of Fame on the first ballot. :specnatz:

CloakNNNdagger
05-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Some things are best left alone.........Pittman is one of those things. I came across this very comprehensive and interesting older article in USA TODAY (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2004-11-25-cover-snappers_x.htm), which is worth reading in its entirety. It puts the LS value into true perspective.:

Even if long snappers can play other positions, many coaches won't risk having them injured.

Then there is Houston's Pittman. "Most snappers have an amazing story. ... His may take the cake," says Gold, his agent.

After two seasons as a tight end/snapper at Walla Walla (Wash.) Community College, Pittman snapped as a 1997 walk-on at the University of Washington but left because he got no scholarship. In two semipro seasons with the Puget Sound (Wash.) Jets, he did odd jobs. "You name it," he says. "Bouncing, personal training, security work."

One semipro season, he broke his hand and injured a knee and did "a lot of painting and yard work."

In March 2003, he paid his way to a special teams scouting combine in Reno. He landed a tryout with the Cleveland Browns and didn't make the last cut, but he got another shot with Houston a week before its inaugural 2003 season.

"On Friday, it was decision time," Pittman says. "They decided to go with me."

Malloy
05-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Pittman belongs here. Dreessen as depth for the LS position just makes me sleep better at night.

shawn76ers
05-02-2008, 02:15 PM
IMO i believe Dressen has the #2 TE spot locked down....
:cool:

Specnatz
05-02-2008, 02:27 PM
IMO i believe Dressen has the #2 TE spot locked down....
:cool:

Well #3 atleast because Mark Bruener is #2 and or #1 blocking TE.

D-ReK
05-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Dreessen is a baller. Good hands, good blocker, ideal H-back. He's a really versatile player. Definitely an urgrade over Putzier.

shawn76ers
05-04-2008, 09:33 PM
is Houston the first team dreesen played for?

If so, The front office has an eye for talent.

D-ReK
05-04-2008, 09:42 PM
is Houston the first team dreesen played for?

If so, The front office has an eye for talent.

He was a 6th round pick of the Jets in 2005.