PDA

View Full Version : Brown could be special

DocBar
04-30-2008, 03:24 PM
I found this article while surfing the net and was absolutely amazed to see that our new LT played on punt coverage. That is not only a testament to his atheltic ability, but also to his desire to play the game. That had to wear his very large self down to a frazzle. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/10/AR2006111001461.html

El Tejano
04-30-2008, 03:35 PM
Brown Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mayock Is Now Officially Dumb!!!!!!!!!!

Brando
04-30-2008, 03:40 PM
I found this article while surfing the net and was absolutely amazed to see that our new LT played on punt coverage. That is not only a testament to his atheltic ability, but also to his desire to play the game. That had to wear his very large self down to a frazzle. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/10/AR2006111001461.html

Yeah I enjoyed it. Does anyone think we will use him on the goal line as a tackle eligible?? He was a TE and I remember Anthony Munoz of the Bengals caught a few TD's in his career.

beerlover
04-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Yeah I enjoyed it. Does anyone think we will use him on the goal line as a tackle eligible?? He was a TE and I remember Anthony Munoz of the Bengals caught a few TD's in his career.

I expect the Texans will improve significantly in goal line situations. if Brown is outside the tackle (Salaam) in a double TE set he would be an eligible receiver, maybe a little play action off the left side, then dump it to him after he obliterates the safety or lb :bowser:

can't wait for the season to begin :splits:

mexican_texan
04-30-2008, 03:48 PM
Not that he really needs it, but covering punts gives Brown another chance to show off his athleticism. If NFL scouts didn't notice his quick feet in pass protection last season when he neutralized Mario Williams, the first pick in this year's NFL draft, or his strength when he plowed a hole for Branden Ore's game-winning touchdown run at Miami, they'll see it when he flies down the field. Brown said earlier this season he plans to stay at Virginia Tech for his senior season, but whenever he's ready for the NFL, the NFL will certainly be ready for him.
wow.

Seņor Stan
04-30-2008, 04:10 PM
On a team stocked with great athletes, some players think Brown, pound for pound, is the best.

This praise is usually reserved for a smaller guy...(such as pound for pound Roy Jones is the best boxer yada yada yada)

I have never heard it used for someone who weighs in a over 300 lbs.

Sweet.

TheRealJoker
04-30-2008, 04:12 PM
We've got ourselves something special boys!!!

Double Barrel
04-30-2008, 04:34 PM
I like this pick. It is about time we used a high round for the o-line. And since it's one of Gibb's, I think we can expect to see good things from this guy.

Porky
04-30-2008, 04:52 PM
I like this pick. It is about time we used a high round for the o-line. And since it's one of Gibb's, I think we can expect to see good things from this guy.

Yup, but by all accounts he is raw. I can already see the wailing and gnashing of teeth when he isn't starting day one. He is a long term pick, and I for one plan on being patient with him.

You don't plant a seed, and wake up the next morning with a 10 ft corn plant, but until you at least take the step to plant the seed, you won't get anything at all. It's about time we sowed, so that later on we get to "reap" the benefits of the planting.

MojoMan
04-30-2008, 04:56 PM
Yup, but by all accounts he is raw. I can already see the wailing and gnashing of teeth when he isn't starting day one. He is a long term pick, and I for one plan on being patient with him.

You don't plant a seed, and wake up the next morning with a 10 ft corn plant, but until you at least take the step to plant the seed, you won't get anything at all. It's about time we sowed, so that later on we get to "reap" the benefits of the planting.

Wise words for fickle fans.

badboy
04-30-2008, 04:59 PM

You don't plant a seed, and wake up the next morning with a 10 ft corn plant, but until you at least take the step to plant the seed, you won't get anything at all. It's about time we sowed, so that later on we get to "reap" the benefits of the planting.Agreed. Prior to draft, I posted a worst case scenario that @#18 all players who should immediately start might be gone. Brown is among those LT that may not start but have potential to be long term players. We got what the man (Gibbs) wanted. Plus Slaton and a 6th round.

edo783
04-30-2008, 05:02 PM
Wise words for fickle fans.

Yup, but they wont pay any attenton. To busy snivalling that their diapers wet.

Double Barrel
04-30-2008, 05:26 PM

yeah, I tend to agree about patience being a virtue in this case. Amobi Okoye is a 'project' on the D-line, but this also points to tremendous upside and growth potential.

Brown has been given lots of props on NFLN and other national media sources, in that his athleticism and quickness will [eventually] be big factors in becoming a franchise LT. He is a bit smaller, but that is what Gibbs wants for his blocking schemes.

kastofsna
04-30-2008, 05:50 PM
they draft the way you're supposed to: get the best athletes and coach 'em up.

texasguy346
04-30-2008, 10:06 PM

If you want that seed to grow you'll have to cover it with fertilizer. Look at all the shit Mario got, and see what it made him into. Time to start heaping it on Brown. Although McShay & the rest seem to be doing a pretty good job of spreading the fertilizer thus far.:cool:

rickyb
04-30-2008, 10:22 PM
If you want that seed to grow you'll have to cover it with fertilizer. Look at all the shit Mario got, and see what it made him into. Time to start heaping it on Brown. Although McShay & the rest seem to be doing a pretty good job of spreading the fertilizer thus far.:cool:

I find that people rise or slump to the level of expectations placed upon them. If this rings a bell, it's because I was outspoken against any coddling of Amobi after the draft and before the season. Lace em up, get out there, and hammer.

So, draftees: listen to the coaches, listen to the vets, earn your spot. No one is going to give you anything, round 1 or round 7. This organization expects great things from you, and the only way to meet those expectations is to show and grow, each and every damn day. Get'r done.

kiwitexansfan
04-30-2008, 11:39 PM
You don't plant a seed, and wake up the next morning with a 10 ft corn plant, .

If your Jack and they are magic beans they do.

If he starts on opening day, he shall hence be known as Duane 'magic beans' Brown.

Polo
04-30-2008, 11:56 PM

Someone's gonna have to tell the coaching staff that...

http://www.sportsradio610.com/The-Sp...-Raley/1616945

Listen to Kubiak's comments about "easing Brown into the starting line-up"....

Charles Spencer was a third rd. pick who played a lot of guard when he came out of college...

Salaam was on the roster then, and he's two yrs. older now...

If Charles Spencer was able to be the starter opening day, I'm especially expecting our new first rd. pick to do the same...

From Kubiak's comments it sounds like it is Brown's job to lose...

FuzzyLogic
05-01-2008, 02:28 PM
I like the pick, and could someone explain the 'undersized' thing to me?

Brown is listed as 6' 4" 315 #'s correct?

Salaam is listed 6' 7" 302 #'s.

Winston (who some claim could have been a LT but has short arms) is listed 6' 5" 307 #'s

So worst case scenario, is we have a faster more athletic slightly shorter version of our current starting LT.

Best case scenario... he takes a year or two adds 10 pounds and...

Walter Jones 6' 5" 325
Matt Light 6' 4" 305
Orlando Pace 6' 7" 325
Joe Thomas 6' 6" 315

I'm just having a really hard time seeing a down side here.

(all the stats were gathered from nfl.com, so some might be slightly out of date)

JayCee
05-01-2008, 03:52 PM
I'm currently downloading VT vs Virginia. If anyone is interested in a copy, let me know. I'll probably get more VT games from the past season once this one has finished.

Ole Miss Texan
05-01-2008, 04:17 PM
1. I really hope Brown gets to see action in Game 1 and as mentioned gets lined up at TE near the goal line or is an eligible receiver. I'd love for him to score our 1st TD of the year!

2. As athletic as Brown is (punt block, etc) I only want to see him lined up on offense. Not special teams or defense. Let him be our left tackle, with the occasional receiving role to trick some D's or at least make them think. You don't want your franchise Left Tackle to get injured, and playing downs that aren't THAT necessary for him will only add that risk.

3. If you've ever seen Eric Winston in person you would know he's 8'5- he's gotta be the biggest guy ever.