PDA

View Full Version : Nashville: Seemingly, Titans didnít help Young

Wolf
04-29-2008, 03:20 PM
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2008/apr/29/nashville-seemingly-titans-didnt-help-young/

You canít judge an NFL draft for several years, which means labeling David Carr and Joey Harrington ó the first two quarterbacks taken in 2002 ó as busts is perfectly reasonable.

But the so-called experts handing out grades and criticizing teams before their draft picks can even get their hats fitted is a little unfair. Remember the Mario Williams/Reggie Bush debate?

Even ESPNís Mel Kiper Jr. seems hesitant to assign winners and losers in this yearís draft. He gave 30 of the 32 teams overall grades from B-plus to C. The Chiefs got an ďAĒ ó rare for Kiper ó and the Jaguars received (gasp!) a C-minus. Thatís the worst grade youíll ever see from him.

If Kiper had been my professor in college, Mom and Dad would be far less ashamed of me.

You can, however, decipher a teamís philosophy by the positions of the players they draft. And thatís my problem with the Tennessee Titansí draft over the weekend: It just seems like theyíre abandoning quarterback Vince Young instead of working to help him.

Letís look at three teams with young quarterbacks who are teetering between holding trophies and holding clipboards: Denver and Jay Cutler, Washington and Jason Campbell, and Tennessee and Young.

The first three picks for the Broncos were left tackle Ryan Clady, receiver Eddie Royal and center Kory Lichtensteiger. Will Cutler be taking the snap from Lichtensteiger, rolling left behind a block from Clady and throwing to Royal five years from now? No one knows. But you can see how the Broncos are committed to helping Cutler.

The Redskins are a playoff team who recognize where they need help to get past the wild-card round. Their first four picks were receiver Devin Thomas, tight end Fred Davis, receiver Malcolm Kelly and offensive guard Chad Rinehart. The Redskins will be receiving a Hallmark card from Campbellís address this week.

You have to wonder what Young was thinking as he pored over the draft results

Double Barrel
04-29-2008, 05:08 PM
Obvioulsy Kiper fails to realize that 1) Young is so good that he doesn't need no stinkin' talent around him, 2) he's a natural leader that elevates the talent around him, 3) the other 10 players on the field are only there because it's part of NFL rules and regulations.

I was a bit shocked at some of the comments about Young during the draft. They were tip-toeing around the issue, but they did not paint him in a positive light with regards to his QB skills.

edo783
04-29-2008, 05:39 PM
I suspect that VY is not a happy camper. Of course there is the thing of "Why draft a WR if he can't hit one". Looks to me like the offense is going to be very controlled. Lots of running, screens, short dumps and dang little down field. Mmmm, that has some sort of familiar ring to it. I'm sure that worked out well for who ever used it.

adam
04-29-2008, 06:04 PM
The Titans are giving up on Young, in a sense. They are starting to finally realize that Vince Young is closer to Edward Scissorhands than he is to any NFL great in regards to passing. They are likely going to lessen his role in the offense next year, (as edo said) more runs and dump offs. Seeing as how Young is about as good as Carr was, we may see a vast improvement in his completion percentage should the Titans go this route. That said, I'll go out on a limb and say that after this next season Young will be benched and possibly traded/cut.

Vinny
04-30-2008, 12:23 AM
I suspect that VY is not a happy camper. Of course there is the thing of "Why draft a WR if he can't hit one". Looks to me like the offense is going to be very controlled. Lots of running, screens, short dumps and dang little down field. Mmmm, that has some sort of familiar ring to it. I'm sure that worked out well for who ever used it.
this offense took Fisher and Steve McNair to the Superbowl with the same OC and the same Head coach showcasing lots of passes to the TE (Wycheck) and a bunch of nobody wr's (Mason was not a high pick). If you look at a little history you can see the blueprint of Fishers first super bowl run taking shape. Instead of McNair to Wycheck you will see lots of Young to Crumpler this season along with lots of running and some excellent defense.

Double Barrel
04-30-2008, 10:40 AM
After watching more stuff about their first round pick, Chris Johnson, I'm both looking forward to seeing the dude play and a bit apprehensive about the dimension he could add to their offense and special teams. The kid is fast, and he's got moves. Johnson and Young are going to be a dual-threat with their running abilities.

Specnatz
04-30-2008, 11:11 AM
After watching more stuff about their first round pick, Chris Johnson, I'm both looking forward to seeing the dude play and a bit apprehensive about the dimension he could add to their offense and special teams. The kid is fast, and he's got moves. Johnson and Young are going to be a dual-threat with their running abilities.

Of the two who do you think is the better passer?

Overalls
04-30-2008, 12:00 PM

Rep.

jaayteetx
04-30-2008, 12:38 PM
I'm not sure it matters. I, like a lot of people, thought the Tacks were going to be terrible last year because I thought they had a bad offseason. A year later and a season sweep of my beloved Texans, they make the playoffs. Sure hope it doesn't happen again this year.

edo783
04-30-2008, 01:06 PM
this offense took Fisher and Steve McNair to the Superbowl with the same OC and the same Head coach showcasing lots of passes to the TE (Wycheck) and a bunch of nobody wr's (Mason was not a high pick). If you look at a little history you can see the blueprint of Fishers first super bowl run taking shape. Instead of McNair to Wycheck you will see lots of Young to Crumpler this season along with lots of running and some excellent defense.

I remember that. I was just quiping that OUR version of it didn't fare very well. Actually, with Johnson, White & Young (sounds like a law firm) out of the backfield it will make for a difficult to defend ground game. I expect that there will be a lot of 8 in the box against them.

TexanSam
04-30-2008, 01:08 PM

Except when they made that Super Bowl run, they actually had a good QB.

Double Barrel
04-30-2008, 01:19 PM

hmmmmmm.... :thinking: tough question!

Texan_Bill
04-30-2008, 01:37 PM

hmmmmmm.... :thinking: tough question!

I'm going with option "A" - Chris Johnson :thisbig:

Mr teX
04-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Except when they made that Super Bowl run, they actually had a capable QB.

Fixed

Texans_Chick
04-30-2008, 02:12 PM
This illustrates what a lot of Titans fans think:

Notable Moments in FanHouse Commenting: Please No F-Bombing Your Team's Draft Pick (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/04/27/notable-moments-in-fanhouse-commenting-please-no-f-bombing-your/)

This guy's comment was the most insane comment we got at FanHouse during the draft. It couldn't be published without some big changes. I couldn't resist.

DBCooper
04-30-2008, 04:04 PM
Never underestimate Jeff Fisher.

Blazing Arrow
05-01-2008, 12:32 AM
This illustrates what a lot of Titans fans think:

Notable Moments in FanHouse Commenting: Please No F-Bombing Your Team's Draft Pick (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/04/27/notable-moments-in-fanhouse-commenting-please-no-f-bombing-your/)

This guy's comment was the most insane comment we got at FanHouse during the draft. It couldn't be published without some big changes. I couldn't resist.

Every team has fans who do not understand the game. Most of yours have actually worked for the Texans. Jazz Hands for example ....:thisbig: :thisbig: :thisbig: [imagine white gloves and perfect hair]

Second Honeymoon
05-01-2008, 12:40 AM
Never underestimate Jeff Fisher.

No doubt about that. The guy does more with less year after year. for my money, he is the best NFL coach in the game. sorry belicheat.

Texaninlild
05-01-2008, 12:48 AM
This is all crazy talk. The Titans are revolutionizing the game. You just wait when they role out the 5 tight end set on the field. A wall of humanity. Even VY has a chance of hitting someone with the same color jersey.

Texan_Bill
05-01-2008, 08:33 AM
Every team has fans who do not understand the game. Most of yours have actually worked for the Texans. Jazz Hands for example ....:thisbig: :thisbig: :thisbig: [imagine white gloves and perfect hair]

Dude, that was sooooo weak, that I couldn't even get a decent chuckle out of it... :dontknowa

Specnatz
05-01-2008, 09:23 AM

Are you saying wonderlic genius understands the game? Did someone write it out for him in crayon?

Blazing Arrow
05-01-2008, 02:26 PM
Dude, that was sooooo weak, that I couldn't even get a decent chuckle out of it... :dontknowa

Hey they can't all be gold. I was just looking for an excuse to use the "this big" guy.

I think we had a pretty solid draft. I have a feeling Hummer took a look at our WR core and felt he had enough weapons to work with for Young. Crumpler will help allot and Johnson will be a nice change of pace back from White.

Texan_Bill
05-01-2008, 02:37 PM
Hey they can't all be gold. I was just looking for an excuse to use the "this big" guy.

I think we had a pretty solid draft. I have a feeling Hummer took a look at our WR core and felt he had enough weapons to work with for Young. Crumpler will help allot and Johnson will be a nice change of pace back from White.

I figured you'd be pissed about not taking a receiver for Young. I guess they plan on throwing a lot swing / screen passes to Johnson. BUT you still have to be able to throw the ball down the field. BTW, Crumpler was a pro-bowl TE, but he also drops a lot of passes too.

Errant Hothy
05-01-2008, 02:42 PM

Except that last year y'all blamed the recieving corps, and their imagined drops (because the stats say otherwise), for VY's poor year.

Blazing Arrow
05-01-2008, 02:57 PM
I figured you'd be pissed about not taking a receiver for Young. I guess they plan on throwing a lot swing / screen passes to Johnson. BUT you still have to be able to throw the ball down the field. BTW, Crumpler was a pro-bowl TE, but he also drops a lot of passes too.

Crumpler should work well with Young. He had great seasons with the dog beater. I was a little upset we did not pick up WR but I really think the new OC will improve our WRs. Look at McNairs MVP season. Mason was good but JMac and Bennett were mid level talent at best that Hummer made better through coaching. Hopefully with JMac back and the rest of our young WR core he can find a diamond in the rough. We still have not even seen P Williams on the field yet that we drafted last season. R Williams and B Jones have potential to tap.

Our offense does not need to improve that much IMO. Change a field goal or two into TDs each game and we might have taken division last season. Obviously that is not a flip of the switch but I do not think Chow has the mind set required to scheme in the NFL. His play calling was very unimaginative and at times you could almost pick the next two or three plays that were going to get called.

Blazing Arrow
05-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Except that last year y'all blamed the recieving corps, and their imagined drops (because the stats say otherwise), for VY's poor year.

It is not an imagined stat. Anyone who watched the games would know this. The stat is so arbitrary on what is defined a drop and what is not that it is hard to track. One persons drop could be another person bad pass.

Our WRs do have issues but I am not really sure what Chow did to help them. Hummer has a proven track record with mid level WRs. Our WR core + Hummer is an improvement over our WR + Chow. I have no doubt in my mind on that.

Goldensilence
05-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Crumpler should work well with Young. He had great seasons with the dog beater. I was a little upset we did not pick up WR but I really think the new OC will improve our WRs. Look at McNairs MVP season. Mason was good but JMac and Bennett were mid level talent at best that Hummer made better through coaching. Hopefully with JMac back and the rest of our young WR core he can find a diamond in the rough. We still have not even seen P Williams on the field yet that we drafted last season. R Williams and B Jones have potential to tap.

Our offense does not need to improve that much IMO. Change a field goal or two into TDs each game and we might have taken division last season. Obviously that is not a flip of the switch but I do not think Chow has the mind set required to scheme in the NFL. His play calling was very unimaginative and at times you could almost pick the next two or three plays that were going to get called.

No Offense...but he kinda had to be with who was under center. I think Chow's biggest problem was he expected too much out of Vince as a passer.

Errant Hothy
05-01-2008, 03:19 PM
No Offense...but he kinda had to be with who was under center. I think Chow's biggest problem was he expected too much out of Vince as a passer.

I think Chow's biggest problem was he was overruled in that draft. I don't think Chow wanted any part of VY as his QB, he would have much rather had Leinart of Cutler.

Blazing Arrow
05-01-2008, 03:36 PM

The first thing Hummer did when he came in was work on Young's foot work. Are you telling me in two season with Chow this was never an issue. At times Young looked occurred in his drop back. That is huge in the NFL. If Chow did not think it was an issue he was not suited to be an NFL OC.

Errant Hothy
05-01-2008, 03:37 PM
The first thing Hummer did when he came in was work on Young's foot work. Are you telling me in two season with Chow this was never an issue. At times Young looked occurred in his drop back. That is huge in the NFL. If Chow did not think it was an issue he was not suited to be an NFL OC.

Maybe Chow tried to correct VY's footwork and failed. Sounds like the more reasonable option, espically when you consider the QBs Chow has coached at USC.

Texan_Bill
05-01-2008, 03:44 PM

Hmmmm.... Chow came from a big time program (although I hate USC) where they used a pro-style offense. :thinking:

Blazing Arrow
05-01-2008, 04:10 PM
Hmmmm.... Chow came from a big time program (although I hate USC) where they used a pro-style offense. :thinking:

And he used a Tecmo Bowl play list ...

Honoring Earl 34
05-01-2008, 04:24 PM

You are talking to experts when it comes to QB's with bad mechanics . My thought is when said QB freaks ... he reverts back to his bad habits .

Texan_Bill
05-01-2008, 04:31 PM
It's all about the players on the field. Chow was also fairly successful at BYU. Point is, he probably had to really dumb down the playbook for 'his holiness'

You are talking to experts when it comes to QB's with bad mechanics . My thought is when said QB freaks ... he reverts back to his bad habits .

*quick.... fetal position* ...................... My bad, I had a flashback..

Hervoyel
05-01-2008, 04:38 PM

....so Vince could understand it?

Go ahead, finish the sentence the way it should be finished. It's ok, we had David Carr here. We know how you feel and we won't judge you.

ChampionTexan
05-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Maybe Chow tried to correct VY's footwork and failed. Sounds like the more reasonable option, espically when you consider the QBs Chow has coached at USC.

Yeah, this smacks of all those folks who were wondering if the D-Line coaches for the Texans were teaching Mario any pass rush moves prior to his breakout in the middle of last year.

Difference is that Mario progressed and went from being a concern to being a pro-bowl alternate.

VY regressed and went from being a Pro-Bowler (after numerous drop-outs) to being a concern.

Blazing Arrow
05-01-2008, 05:34 PM
It's all about the players on the field. Chow was also fairly successful at BYU. Point is, he probably had to really dumb down the playbook for 'his holiness' ..

Because the ability to coach in college translates across to the NFL everytime. :sarcasm:

Texan_Bill
05-01-2008, 05:39 PM
Because the ability to coach in college translates across to the NFL everytime. :sarcasm:

Exactly... the same way it translates for spread option QB's.... :whistle:

Goldensilence
05-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Exactly... the same way it translates for spread option QB's.... :whistle:

Come on Bill Look at Alex Smith's Success......:backsout:

Honoring Earl 34
05-01-2008, 09:37 PM
It's all about the players on the field. Chow was also fairly successful at BYU. Point is, he probably had to really dumb down the playbook for 'his holiness'

*quick.... fetal position* ...................... My bad, I had a flashback..

Duh ... he was protecting the ball ... like it was a child .

edo783
05-01-2008, 09:52 PM
I suspect that VY is going to look a lot better stat wise this year. Not better as an NFL QB, but better stat wise. Limited throws over 15 yards and lots of runs and dump offs. No need to draft a WR if ya can't hit then over 20 yards anyway. Heck of a running game and a great defense. That can work.

infantrycak
05-01-2008, 10:00 PM
I suspect that VY is going to look a lot better stat wise this year. Not better as an NFL QB, but better stat wise. Limited throws over 15 yards and lots of runs and dump offs. No need to draft a WR if ya can't hit then over 20 yards anyway. Heck of a running game and a great defense. That can work.

Trivia here.

Completion percentage on balls thrown over 20 yards (yes in the air and not yards after catch):

VY--17%
Sage--33%
Brady--40%
Manning--42%
Schaub--44%

Now clearly Brady and Manning had more attempts but they are what they are.

Interestingly VY was basically the same at each 10 yard group over 20 yards. Also Sage and Schaub struggled most in the 21-30 yd range.

Texan_Bill
05-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Duh ... he was protecting the ball ... like it was a child .

LMAO.... Well he didn't do that very well either (something about being tied for second - with the most fumbles in a season).

Texan_Bill
05-02-2008, 10:38 AM
Trivia here.

Completion percentage on balls thrown over 20 yards (yes in the air and not yards after catch):

VY--17%
Sage--33%
Brady--40%
Manning--42%
Schaub--44%

Now clearly Brady and Manning had more attempts but they are what they are.

Interestingly VY was basically the same at each 10 yard group over 20 yards. Also Sage and Schaub struggled most in the 21-30 yd range.

Good stuff, Cak.

Titan "Tack" Fan
05-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Chris Johnson will win OROY. He's an insane athlete, ran the fastest time at the combine and has good size.

He's going be great. He WILL help Vince.

Vinny
05-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Chris Johnson will win OROY. He's an insane athlete, ran the fastest time at the combine and has good size.

He's going be great. He WILL help Vince.kewls...we got the same kind of back in Slaton but didn't have to pay him first round money. Frankly I haven't been impressed with the Titans drafts since Floyd Reese left. Reaching for speed backs in the first couple of rounds reeks of Arizona and Bengal draft philosophies.....cough, Henry, jj Arrington, cough, cough.

HOU-TEX
05-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Chris Johnson will win the titans OROY. He's an insane athlete, ran the fastest time at the combine and has good size.

Fixed it for ya. That ain't saying much. :spit:

Texan_Bill
05-02-2008, 11:31 AM

Wow... That's a lot of money between a QB and a RB (two first rounders). Especially when the game plan will be hand-off and dump & swing passes..

Bulluck53
05-02-2008, 12:11 PM
First off, we didn't necessarily need a receiver. We needed a big play guy and that is Chris Johnson. Whether it be off a handoff, a screen or spltting him out he will get the ball and have a chance to make plays.

Second, Vince obviously can't get the receiver the ball anyway so why waste a draft a high pick on a guy who won't get the chance to contribute? Honestly though he isnt going to have to make the big play anymore and the receivers we have are capable of picking up first downs, they just can't stretch the field consistently.

edo783
05-02-2008, 12:35 PM
First off, we didn't necessarily need a receiver. We needed a big play guy and that is Chris Johnson. Whether it be off a handoff, a screen or spltting him out he will get the ball and have a chance to make plays.

Second, Vince obviously can't get the receiver the ball anyway so why waste a draft a high pick on a guy who won't get the chance to contribute? Honestly though he isnt going to have to make the big play anymore and the receivers we have are capable of picking up first downs, they just can't stretch the field consistently.

Well at least your not delusional about that.

Texan_Bill
05-02-2008, 01:12 PM

Not so fast my friend. The guy hasn't played a single down yet.

As edo, said, at least your not one of the delusional people.

Bulluck53
05-02-2008, 01:49 PM
So whats the deal with every saying we should have drafted a receiver? No one knows how they will pan out as they have not played a donw in the NFL either. No receiver was worth a first round pick and that point was proven when none were taken in the first round.

Specnatz
05-02-2008, 02:06 PM
So whats the deal with every saying we should have drafted a receiver? No one knows how they will pan out as they have not played a donw in the NFL either. No receiver was worth a first round pick and that point was proven when none were taken in the first round.

True but you could have drafted one in the second or the third, but Noooooo they drafted one in the 4th. What about all the complaining about the receivers droping the ball? It is not Youngs fault is everyone elses.

Before the draft we need receivers. After the draft, we don't need no stinking receivers.

Texan_Bill
05-02-2008, 02:08 PM

Bulluck, Your peeps used that as an excuse last season, not us... Blazing Saddles consistently talked about receivers dropping balls and that they needed to get some weapons at the WR spot for vincent to throw to....

......Just sayin' :whistle:

Blazing Arrow
05-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Bulluck, Your peeps used that as an excuse last season, not us... Blazing Saddles consistently talked about receivers dropping balls and that they needed to get some weapons at the WR spot for vincent to throw to....

He gained Crumpler and Johnson. He got weapons. Plus he gained a much more proven OC that is familiar with Fishers style of coaching. Or has all of that stuff Texans fans have been saying about new coaching and how it is going to dramatically improve the team just been a steaming pile of Texans Pie?

GuerillaBlack
05-02-2008, 06:03 PM

Tales from the Crypt lookin...

You haven't been here in a while. Funny how you say that about Chris Johnson though. Last year, a lot of Titans fans came here calling Chris Henry "The Freak". A few signatures were even made by them.

He gained Crumpler and Johnson. He got weapons. Plus he gained a much more proven OC that is familiar with Fishers style of coaching. Or has all of that stuff Texans fans have been saying about new coaching and how it is going to dramatically improve the team just been a steaming pile of Texans Pie?

The Texans went from 2-14, to 6-10 (with David Carr), to 8-8 now. They will be above .500 this year.

Second Honeymoon
05-02-2008, 06:19 PM
I think Chow's biggest problem was he was overruled in that draft. I don't think Chow wanted any part of VY as his QB, he would have much rather had Leinart of Cutler.

and would that be a good thing? young has made far more plays than either of those guys. Leinart and Cutler have both been pretty disappointing. At least VY has achieved some team success and it wasn't like the Titans were kicking arse pre-VY. Before VY, there were only two teams with a worse record in the NFL. New Orleans and Houston. Next thing you know they are in the playoff hunt first year and ultimately make the playoffs second year. VY wasn't the reason for the sea change but to not give him any credit at all is just ludicrous. Make no mistake, No Fisher. No Playoffs, but I don't think the Titans make the progression they have made from 3-13 with Volek as their franchise starter. And isn't that what its all about. Winning football games.

Sometimes that gets lost around here somewhere. Losing football on an annual basis can kinda muddy things up I guess. Here is to going 10-6 in 2008! The schedule sets up nicely with many untested/inconsistent starting QBs throughout the schedule. Turn up the heat and get this defense to kick some people's ass.

Second Honeymoon
05-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Tales from the Crypt lookin...

You haven't been here in a while. Funny how you say that about Chris Johnson though. Last year, a lot of Titans fans came here calling Chris Henry "The Freak". A few signatures were even made by them.

The Texans went from 2-14, to 6-10 (with David Carr), to 8-8 now. They will be above .500 this year.

7-9 actually. pretty amazing feat.

GuerillaBlack
05-02-2008, 06:26 PM
I'm going in chronological order from the 2-14 season and Kubiak coming in right after that. Negative rep to you for not understanding my post.

b0ng
05-03-2008, 09:42 PM
I thought the Titans draft was only so-so, but I don't see why a lot of people are mercilessly crapping all over the draft. It could be that this WR class did not impress any Titans staffer enough to make them think "Vince could throw to this guy and it would work", so why pick one up early. Crumpler is good, but I think he's on his decline, and I think that Johnson isn't going to run in between the tackles. He just has "electric 2 yard gain" written all over him.

Vince certainly isn't getting the help his counterparts from the '06 draft are getting. And that's sad.

edo783
05-04-2008, 09:15 AM
I thought the Titans draft was only so-so, but I don't see why a lot of people are mercilessly crapping all over the draft. It could be that this WR class did not impress any Titans staffer enough to make them think "Vince could throw to this guy and it would work", so why pick one up early. Crumpler is good, but I think he's on his decline, and I think that Johnson isn't going to run in between the tackles. He just has "electric 2 yard gain" written all over him.

Vince certainly isn't getting the help his counterparts from the '06 draft are getting. And that's sad.

I think your probably right as this WR class was one of the worst in a long time. However, Sweed is one guy that VY has had experience throwing the ball to and seems to be a pretty fair reciever. IMO, they just decided to change the offenseive scheme to fit what talent VY has and that isn't hitting a reciever very far down field with any accuracy. So, the short passing game with lots of running and controlling the game. Couple that with a very good defense and that can be successfull.

Overalls
05-04-2008, 02:57 PM
I agree. I think once they brought in the new/old OC and he watched film on Young and they decided that his best play is the handoff.

:fans:

Bulluck53
05-04-2008, 06:55 PM

Well, I'm not my peeps. The blame for those drops goes both ways, most will realize that, but you saw some of those passes and you know they weren't all his fault. Like BA said Vince gained Crumpler and Johnson, two play makers. IMO, we didn't need another #2 receiver and thats what they all were going into the draft.

Spec, I truly believe Fisher and Co. were eyeing Sweed in the second before Pittsburgh snagged him in front of us. After him there was no one worth spending even a 2nd on so we addressed other needs. I'm fine with it. Sweed was the only one I wanted early and I didn't think he was worth a 1... obviously no one else did either.

b0ng
05-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Well, I'm not my peeps. The blame for those drops goes both ways, most will realize that, but you saw some of those passes and you know they weren't all his fault. Like BA said Vince gained Crumpler and Johnson, two play makers. IMO, we didn't need another #2 receiver and thats what they all were going into the draft.

Spec, I truly believe Fisher and Co. were eyeing Sweed in the second before Pittsburgh snagged him in front of us. After him there was no one worth spending even a 2nd on so we addressed other needs. I'm fine with it. Sweed was the only one I wanted early and I didn't think he was worth a 1... obviously no one else did either.

I think when the run on WR's went off in the 2nd the Titans should've traded up to get Sweed. Not trade up much, but enough to get him. I noticed not too many Titans fans talk about the 2nd round pick that was taken. I thought that was a huge surprise. (Yes I realize Duane Brown is considered by and far a larger reach than Jason Jones)

But yeah, I thought Early Doucet could've been a decent pick in the 2nd. But that doesn't mean that Bud and his band of merry men thought that same thing.

Bulluck53
05-09-2008, 01:25 PM
I try not to complain too much about reaches, I figure if they have a guy they like and don't want to risk losing him then they might as well take him (on the other hand, Jax trading up to 8 and grabbing Harvey was pretty dumb). Every pick in the draft filled a how except for the Tight End from Cal, and they said he was too good to pass up. My guess is they have a lot of confidence in Paul Williams, our 3rd (?) round pick out of Fresno last year.

b0ng
05-09-2008, 10:00 PM
I try not to complain too much about reaches, I figure if they have a guy they like and don't want to risk losing him then they might as well take him (on the other hand, Jax trading up to 8 and grabbing Harvey was pretty dumb). Every pick in the draft filled a how except for the Tight End from Cal, and they said he was too good to pass up. My guess is they have a lot of confidence in Paul Williams, our 3rd (?) round pick out of Fresno last year.

That's my guess. I didn't think it's too encouraging that Williams did not play (or did he play some) last season. We have players that we drafted in the 4th and 5th rounds that didn't play last year, but we aren't expecting them to make an impact this year.

Every year I hear talk about how Tennessee is on the decline and they ****ed their draft up. Well, I'm hearing it again this year, and I refuse to believe the Titans are on the decline as long as Fat al is there.

Wolf
05-09-2008, 10:03 PM
That's my guess. I didn't think it's too encouraging that Williams did not play (or did he play some) last season. We have players that we drafted in the 4th and 5th rounds that didn't play last year, but we aren't expecting them to make an impact this year.

Every year I hear talk about how Tennessee is on the decline and they ****ed their draft up. Well, I'm hearing it again this year, and I refuse to believe the Titans are on the decline as long as Fat al is there.

jeff fisher is a hell of a coach

b0ng
05-09-2008, 10:13 PM
jeff fisher is a hell of a coach

It'll be a sad day when Bud runs him out of Nashville.

NBT
06-06-2008, 04:26 PM

.........You, of course being the expert!

NBT
06-06-2008, 04:28 PM
It'll be a sad day when Bud runs him out of Nashville.

Not anytime soon, IMO. Bud finally got smart after he fired Bum. Coach Fisher was just resigned. Now the longest running tenure of all NFL coaches.

And with their last draft, the Titans will be even more of a good running team, smart defense.

NBT
06-12-2008, 06:45 PM
I can understand the guy feeling the way he does, when the Tacks could use more and better WRs. His use of the english language was terrible I admit, but his point is made. Come on people, there are a lot of you who could not fathom the thinking in Casserly & Capers in some of their dealings either. So it has not been that long ago for us either.
Fisher understands what he has to work with though, and he is trying to do what he can to empasize what his strengths are ( excellent defense, and a good running game), so he chose to go RB Chris Johnson in the Draft. I really don't blame him until VY learns to read defenses better, that is the best trump card Fisher has.