PDA

View Full Version : Slaton a good fit

Htownsportsfan
04-28-2008, 02:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/columns/story?columnist=chadiha_jeffri&id=3371140

10. Steve Slaton, RB, Houston Texans Slaton's lack of size (he's listed at 5-9 and 197 pounds) won't be as much of a hindrance in the Houston offense. You put him into assistant head coach Alex Gibbs' zone-blocking run game, and he's guaranteed to be effective. Keep in mind that Gibbs was in Atlanta when another diminutive runner -- Warrick Dunn -- enjoyed his best years as a feature back in that one-cut-and-go system. Slaton has the explosiveness and vision to enjoy similar success as a third-round steal with the Texans.

TEXANS84
04-28-2008, 02:37 PM
Highest drafted Texans runningback thus far. Domanick was a 4th, hopefully he can produce the same.

drewmar74
04-28-2008, 02:41 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/columns/story?columnist=chadiha_jeffri&id=3371140

10. Steve Slaton, RB, Houston Texans Slaton's lack of size (he's listed at 5-9 and 197 pounds) won't be as much of a hindrance in the Houston offense. You put him into assistant head coach Alex Gibbs' zone-blocking run game, and he's guaranteed to be effective. Keep in mind that Gibbs was in Atlanta when another diminutive runner -- Warrick Dunn -- enjoyed his best years as a feature back in that one-cut-and-go system. Slaton has the explosiveness and vision to enjoy similar success as a third-round steal with the Texans.

Now that's encouraging!

Mike Kerns
04-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Thats about the first positive thing I have heard from ESPN on our draft.

Mike Kerns
04-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Highest drafted Texans runningback thus far. Domanick was a 4th, hopefully he can produce the same.

Love your Avatar. Thats not a foul though, in Utah...

Seņor Stan
04-28-2008, 02:49 PM

How soon we forget Tony Hollings...2nd rounder

Morency - another 3rd rounder

drewmar74
04-28-2008, 02:51 PM

Is that "forgetting" or is that "blocking out for the sake of preserving the psyche?"

TEXANS84

Who? Who are these Casserly draft picks you people keep talking about.

TEXANS84
Love your Avatar. Thats not a foul though, in Utah...

It actually wasn't a foul.

Texan_Bill
04-28-2008, 03:17 PM

:rolleyes: *good thing this isn't over where it should be*

kbourda
04-28-2008, 03:55 PM
I really like the Steve Slaton pick a lot!!! I almost forgot about him. He was injured a bit last year.

GuerillaBlack
04-28-2008, 04:13 PM
That picture pissed me the hell off.

Bubbajwp
04-28-2008, 04:30 PM
I think RB's height is extremly overrated. If you have a short RB not only does he have a lower center of gravity but the LB's will also have a harder time seeing over the linemen and wont know as good wich direction he's going in.

GuerillaBlack
04-28-2008, 04:31 PM
^^See Maurice Jones-Drew. He is 5 foot 6, and weights 210. If we can get Slaton at 210 or so, maybe he can become a MJD clone. Runs like him to begin with.

Bubbajwp
04-28-2008, 04:33 PM
^^See Maurice Jones-Drew.

Basically Yaa. Not trying to compare Slaton to jones-drew in any other way except height.

hot pickle
04-28-2008, 04:39 PM
LT is only 5'9 isnt he?

The Pencil Neck
04-28-2008, 04:44 PM
LT is only 5'9 isnt he?

Listed as 5'10", 221#.

Emmitt Smith, 5' 10", 221#.
Walter Payton, 5' 10", 200#.
Barry Sanders, 5' 8", 203#.
Marshall Faulk, 5' 10", 211#.
Brian Westbrook, 5' 8", 200#.

Yeah, Slaton's way too small to play. Somebody bring out a stretcher.

GuerillaBlack
04-28-2008, 04:52 PM
See, all Slaton needs is 10 or more pounds of muscle, and he will be in good body shape. Not saying he will be like any of those players (I see him more like Westbrook). I would like to see Slaton at 207-215 by the time the season starts.

Thorn
04-28-2008, 07:52 PM
Somebody on this board called Slaton a poor man's Reggie Bush, and I thought that was apt. Wouldn't suprise me at all though to see us get more use out of this guy than NO does Bush.

aj.
04-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Somebody on this board called Slaton a poor man's Reggie Bush, and I thought that was apt. .

I think what's more apt is picking a 3rd down back in the 3rd round instead of the second pick overall.

Thorn
04-28-2008, 08:00 PM
I think what's more apt is picking a 3rd down back in the 3rd round instead of the second pick overall.

Slaton was our third pick in the draft, our 2nd pick in the third round.

TexansFanatic
04-28-2008, 08:00 PM

Outstanding.

Bubbajwp
04-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Slaton was our third pick in the draft, our 2nd pick in the third round.

AJ was comparing were we drafted Slaton to were Bush was drafted.

Thorn
04-28-2008, 08:13 PM
AJ was comparing were we drafted Slaton to were Bush was drafted.

ah, it makes sense then. Oops. LOL

bah007
04-28-2008, 10:30 PM
Somebody on this board called Slaton a poor man's Reggie Bush, and I thought that was apt. Wouldn't suprise me at all though to see us get more use out of this guy than NO does Bush.

That was me.

BUT the major difference is that Slaton has a pair & he will take it up the middle if he has to.

They have the same skill set, Reggie is just more naturally gifted. On the other hand, Slaton plays smarter, fumbles less, & isn't afraid of contact.

He doesn't deliver much punishment, but he doesn't back down from it either.

PHAROAH
04-28-2008, 11:52 PM
Steve Slaton will probably be up to 205 easy he is basically at 200 pounds right now so I don't see a problem I think he will be our version of Clinton Portis. Steve is very explosive and in the zone blocking scheme he will be the starter on opening day if he can pick up the the blocking assignments.

edo783
04-29-2008, 12:06 AM
It will be just too funny if Slayton puts up better stats this year than Bush. I wonder if BSPIN will note it..........nah, that wont happen.

Ole Miss Texan
04-29-2008, 12:48 AM
It will be just too funny if Slayton puts up better stats this year than Bush. I wonder if BSPIN will note it..........nah, that wont happen.

They will only use the all-purpose yard stat for Bush and McFadden. For Slaton, they will only display his rushing yards. :cool:

The Pencil Neck
04-29-2008, 01:34 AM
They will only use the all-purpose yard stat for Bush and McFadden. For Slaton, they will only display his rushing yards. :cool:

On first down.

Just to keep it even.

TheRealJoker
04-29-2008, 05:25 AM
I'm really looking forward to seeing what our offense looks like with Slaton. He adds an entirely new dimension to the offense. The only player in franchise history that was a threat to score anytime he touched the ball is/was AJ. Now with Slaton on the field we'll have two guys that can take it to the house anytime they touch the ball which will in turn open up all the other weapons at Schaub's disposal. If Brown catches on quickly and can block the edge rushers he'll be facing this year then I think our offense is going to be explosive!!!

badboy
04-29-2008, 08:02 AM
Interesting info I found yesterday on Slaton.http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/steve-slaton?id=945&campaign=Google_Draft_SteveSlaton

I was not a big fan early as some mocks had him in first round or 2nd, but a 3rd round? Should be the most positive selection we made. 4.4 speed and a powerful frame.
http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=1208

Goldensilence
04-29-2008, 10:24 AM
I like the pick. The fact they didn't pick a guy more suited to run up the middle full-time to me says they're going to be sticking with Chris Brown, Wanting to see if Ahman will be ready to go, and see what Chris Taylor can bring this year.

Like WR last year I think the RB position has the chance to have the same turnaround.

thunderkyss
04-29-2008, 11:01 AM
I think RB's height is extremly overrated. If you have a short RB not only does he have a lower center of gravity but the LB's will also have a harder time seeing over the linemen and wont know as good wich direction he's going in.

It has never, ever been about hight. It's about size.

5'9" 196" is like putting an 18 year kid on the field with a bunch of grown men, he's bound to get hurt, in a bad way.

Sure, guys like Warrick Dunn, and Dante Hall has proven that it can be done, but the are the exception to the rule. No one would ever have believed that Warrick Dunn would have been able to carry the load of a football franchise for an entire season, and if he had ever done it, it would have been thought of as a fluke.

Honoring Earl 34
04-29-2008, 11:07 AM
I think the Texans look at the Wunderlich scores . Slaton had one of the or the highest for a RB . Duane Brown had a 29 / the average for an OT is 26 .

edo783
04-29-2008, 11:43 AM
I think the Texans look at the Wunderlich scores . Slaton had one of the or the highest for a RB . Duane Brown had a 29 / the average for an OT is 26 .

Brown I guess didn't like the score, took it again and got a 32. Seems to be a smart guy.

BigBull17
04-29-2008, 12:14 PM
He is also about Reggies wieght, but 4 ish inches shorter. That makes his frame more compact.

Mr teX
04-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Steve Slaton will probably be up to 205 easy he is basically at 200 pounds right now so I don't see a problem I think he will be our version of Clinton Portis. Steve is very explosive and in the zone blocking scheme he will be the starter on opening day if he can pick up the the blocking assignments.

Wouldn't worry about that so much, WVU ran the zone blocking scheme so he already has a leg up in that regard. Sure a few tweeks here & there to adjust to the pro game, but for the most part he'll be ok in that regard.

I think the big question with him will be his health for obvious reasons.

badboy
04-29-2008, 12:25 PM
It has never, ever been about hight. It's about size.

5'9" 196" is like putting an 18 year kid on the field with a bunch of grown men, he's bound to get hurt, in a bad way.

Sure, guys like Warrick Dunn, and Dante Hall has proven that it can be done, but the are the exception to the rule. No one would ever have believed that Warrick Dunn would have been able to carry the load of a football franchise for an entire season, and if he had ever done it, it would have been thought of as a fluke.I see Slaton being able to play off a TE or FB block on a blitz and offer QB a 5+ yard option. Once he catches, look out. Slaton was durable in college with 4,000 yds and should be able to miss some tackles. Like Duane Brown, he fits exactly what the coaches have been looking for. Molden at 6'1" and 4.39 is shut down CB stats. Note in link that some projection is to FS as he is strong tackling in the box. I think pressure is on the Brandons this TC. He is being compared to Bennett & that only puts a smile on my face.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/antwaun-molden?id=2011

I'm not ready to say D. Robinson who? But this 3rd round could be very solid for team.

Honoring Earl 34
04-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Brown I guess didn't like the score, took it again and got a 32. Seems to be a smart guy.

Chris Williams got a 32
Brandon Albert a 23
Ryan Clady a 13

Molden the 3rd rd CB wants to be a prosecuter after football . Okam was rumored to go to law school and Slaton had a really good score . Demeco was an Academic All- American , Okoye started college at 16 ... I'm seeing a trend .

badboy
04-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Chris Williams got a 32
Brandon Albert a 23
Ryan Clady a 13

Molden the 3rd rd CB wants to be a prosecuter after football . Okam was rumored to go to law school and Slaton had a really good score . Demeco was an Academic All- American , Okoye started college at 16 ... I'm seeing a trend .Yes, after our guys body slam you we will then give a tutorial as to how exactly we did it and how it will be done again.

The Pencil Neck
04-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Chris Williams got a 32
Brandon Albert a 23
Ryan Clady a 13

Molden the 3rd rd CB wants to be a prosecuter after football . Okam was rumored to go to law school and Slaton had a really good score . Demeco was an Academic All- American , Okoye started college at 16 ... I'm seeing a trend .

Don't forget Kalu from Rice.

El Tejano
04-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Kalu may have been the reason we didn't go DE in the draft.

awtysst
04-29-2008, 08:53 PM

If it is all about Wunderlich scores, why didn't they choose me then? I have scored in the high 40's on that test! I could be a great draft pick!

Honoring Earl 34
04-29-2008, 08:55 PM
If it is all about Wunderlich scores, why didn't they choose me then? I have scored in the high 40's on that test! I could be a great draft pick!

You ran a 6.4 40 .

It's not all about the test but it's a tie breaker .

awtysst
04-29-2008, 08:59 PM
You ran a 6.4 40 .

It's not all about the test but it's a tie breaker .

yeah but I am a 5'10 165lb LT. Find me another Left tackle with my measurables and my speed.:wild:

Honoring Earl 34
04-29-2008, 09:02 PM
yeah but I am a 5'10 165lb LT. Find me another Left tackle with my measurables and my speed.:wild:

You know ... if Duane Brown was'nt there ... I bet they would have traded out of the 1st round and picked you .

awtysst
04-29-2008, 09:26 PM
You know ... if Duane Brown was'nt there ... I bet they would have traded out of the 1st round and picked you .

you know its kind of funny. Right before the Texans pick, my cell phone rang and a buddy pretended to be Rick Smith and said that he would like to draft me with the team's first round pick and what ,my thoughts were to play for my home town team.

Thing is, he has done it every year since 2002 and it NEVER gets old!

The Pencil Neck
04-30-2008, 12:55 AM
you know its kind of funny. Right before the Texans pick, my cell phone rang and a buddy pretended to be Rick Smith and said that he would like to draft me with the team's first round pick and what ,my thoughts were to play for my home town team.

Thing is, he has done it every year since 2002 and it NEVER gets old!

Hell, it got old 2 or 3 times while I was reading it.