04-27-2008, 01:27 PM
I like this pick too. :texflag:

barrett
04-27-2008, 01:28 PM
what's the skinney on him?

Honoring Earl 34
is now a Texan!

It was said on this board we needed a big DT ... we now have one .

Okoye and TJ are alot alike around 305-315 . Okam is about 340 .

camron1269
i like it...
johnstone, robertson, trae williams, carl nicks, ali highsmith, blake, schuening are all still there. lets hope one of them is there next round

Htownsportsfan
04-27-2008, 01:29 PM

thats an oxymoron, there is no skinny on Okam!

Hagar
He's BIG REAL BIG!

He's a POWER PIG!

The Pencil Neck

Nothing.

Ain't NOTHING skinny on him.

Space eater DT to block up the middle and stuff the run.

Hardcore Texan
I would like to take this opportunity to coin his nickname.

Frank "Bacardi" Okam

NitroGSXR
Not a fan of this pick. Okam has a low motor from what I saw of him at UT. A very lazy player.

Hopefully he'll work out though! He's a Texan!!

Hagar
04-27-2008, 01:30 PM
BIOGRAPHY: Three-year starter awarded All-Conference honors as a senior after totaling 52/11/5. Junior-year numbers included 38 tackles.

POSITIVES: King-sized interior defensive lineman who may ultimately find a home at offensive guard. Powerful in his lower body, plays with good pad level, and tough to move off the point. Eats up a lot of space in the middle of the field, effectively uses his hands to protect himself, and bull-rushes opponents off the line.

NEGATIVES: Lumbers about the field. Displays marginal explosion and limited speed. Does not play with a sense of urgency. Straight-line defender who struggles to change direction.

ANALYSIS: Okam has the body type and physical skills to be a dominant defensive lineman, yet he lacks a defender.s mentality. An intelligent prospect who hopes to go to law school one day, his passive style of play could have some teams giving him a look on the offensive line.

PROJECTION: Late Fifth Round

Mike Kerns
04-27-2008, 01:30 PM
Well, he played for Texas, so I'm sure he will get most everyones approval on here.

barrett
04-27-2008, 01:31 PM
very confused. after all the talk about the type of DT we like in this system being smaller and faster.

bah007
04-27-2008, 01:31 PM

Big time run stuffer. Immovable object.

Not much against the pass though.

Mike Kerns
04-27-2008, 01:32 PM

Curious to see if we try to convert him to a Offensive Linemen.

b0ng
04-27-2008, 01:33 PM

Ain't a damn thing skinny on this guy. He's going to be our "immovable object" on the defensive line. Or at least that's what I imagine the thinking is going into this pick.

DAMN YOU PENCIL NECK!

EDIT: DAMN HOW MANY OF YOU USED THE "Immovable object" description?!

Hail_Schaub
04-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Found this vid in the same place I found the one on Molden.

Okam (http://www.onnetworks.com/videos/draftguys-tv/profile--frank-okam---dt?autoplay=true)

Looks like he is pretty good player even though he didn't play well last year. He's got size AND speed - nice.

Ryan
04-27-2008, 01:38 PM
wow 3 people used the same joke.

But in all reality, Frank Okam is this big!:thisbig:

The Pencil Neck
04-27-2008, 01:39 PM
very confused. after all the talk about the type of DT we like in this system being smaller and faster.

Ah, you fell for the Smithiak Jedi Mind Tricks.

YoungTexanFan
04-27-2008, 01:39 PM
Scouting video:

http://www.onnetworks.com/videos/draftguys-tv/profile--frank-okam---dt

Honoring Earl 34
04-27-2008, 01:42 PM
There were early mocks before the college season that had him in the mid 1st round .

V Man
04-27-2008, 01:42 PM
He has the same negatives that all the Diline men from Texas have had. Never lived up to their potential at Texas. On the bright side, most of them became solid pros (Rogers, Hampton, Redding), so we can hope.

bah007
04-27-2008, 01:43 PM
He has the same negatives that all the Diline men from Texas have had. Never lived up to their potential at Texas. On the bright side, most of them became solid pros (Rogers, Hampton, Redding), so we can hope.

Rodrigue Wright looks to break into that group soon too.

YoungTexanFan
04-27-2008, 01:45 PM
Okam is a big boy. He has a Shuan Rodgers type frame. He is massive. Okam has the athletic ability to be a dominant player in the NFL, and has been considered a first round pick before. This will be his choice. I think this is good for him to stay closer to home and be able to draw from extra support. He will have to make the decision to turn the switch back on in his head. He will be a nice part of the rotation and could see himself taking over a starting role before his initial contract runs out. I compare Okam to Shaun Rodgers in more than just frame, I think their style of play is very similar, and Okam will be a very solid NFL player.

Htownsportsfan
04-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Not a fan of this pick. Okam has a low motor from what I saw of him at UT. A very lazy player.

Hopefully he'll work out though! He's a Texan!!

As a Texas fan let me say I blame some of his motor on coaching, it has become habit for SOME of our players to play soft and at timers underachieve. Maybe soft is not the right word but as said without a sense of urgency. Okam was a 5th round pick, he was just put on notice that if he wants to play in the NFL urgency will be required from this point forward or someone else will do his job. This is not a case like C Benson where being choosen so high allows him to flake out and still have a job.

Thorn
04-27-2008, 01:46 PM
after reading a bit on this guy, I would say if they Texans can motivate him, he's a bargin for a 5th rounder. If not, eh, he's still good backup material.

kastofsna
04-27-2008, 01:47 PM
Rodrigue Wright looks to break into that group soon too.
yessir.

it's a good pick. ya need to stop the run and hopefully you can just plug him in there and let him hog space.

TheRealJoker
04-27-2008, 01:52 PM
As a Texas fan let me say I blame some of his motor on coaching, it has become habit for SOME of our players to play soft and at timers underachieve. Maybe soft is not the right word but as said without a sense of urgency. Okam was a 5th round pick, he was just put on notice that if he wants to play in the NFL urgency will be required from this point forward or someone else will do his job. This is not a case like C Benson where being choosen so high allows him to flake out and still have a job.

I think if anyone can get Okam to unleash the beast its Jethro Franklin. Isn't he the guy who helped Mario make the jump he did this past season the most?

New_Texans
04-27-2008, 01:54 PM
A possible nickname for Okam...The Judge, cause he was looking to Law School. lol, gosh nicknames already.

J-Russ
04-27-2008, 01:56 PM
I think if anyone can get Okam to unleash the beast its Jethro Franklin. Isn't he the guy who helped Mario make the jump he did this past season the most?

I believe that credit belong to Amobi Okoye. Not playing with one leg also helped.

The Pencil Neck
04-27-2008, 01:56 PM
A possible nickname for Okam...The Judge, cause he was looking to Law School. lol, gosh nicknames already.

The Judge? Nah. HE'S THE WHOLE DAMN LAW!

New_Texans
04-27-2008, 01:58 PM
The Judge? Nah. HE'S THE WHOLE DAMN LAW!

lmao

TEXANRED
04-27-2008, 02:03 PM
I am super excited about this pick. Not to long ago we had a debate on what TJ's role was and I said we needed a true 2 gap. Someone in the office must have been listening.

We got the run stopper we have been needing since day one of our existence.

I can't even begin to express how excited I am about this pick.

That fat bastards gonna win us some games.

nunusguy
04-27-2008, 02:08 PM
"Strengths: Ideal size and frame for the NFL…one of the few true nose tackle prospects available in any draft…experienced player at the top level…good athlete for a big man…tremendous natural strength…high upside…has been simply dominate at times as a collegiate player…extremely smart player with numerous academic awards…uses his strength as a bull rusher…good senior season…able to occupy two blockers…"
http://warroomreport.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=190&Itemid=51
I dunno, but you may be referring to the interview that Texans DLine coach
Franklin made and he said he liked his guys to have the kinds of skills you describe ? But I think he just overlooked the need to have one of their inside
guys be a NT type to tie-up multiple blockers and free Okoye to penetrate the gap. Anyway, this guy sounds like what they might be looking to play
next to Okoye.

TheRealJoker
04-27-2008, 02:09 PM
I believe that credit belong to Amobi Okoye. Not playing with one leg also helped.

Amobi and Mario being healthy were definately major factors. But I believe a huge part of it was having Franklin in his ear (a coach who DIDN'T try to move him all over the line before he even learned 1 position unlike his 1st DL coach).

b0ng
04-27-2008, 02:11 PM
I am super excited about this pick. Not to long ago we had a debate on what TJ's role was and I said we needed a true 2 gap. Someone in the office must have been listening.

We got the run stopper we have been needing since day one of our existence.

I can't even begin to express how excited I am about this pick.

That fat bastards gonna win us some games.

I don't know if he'll win us games, but hopefully he'll be everything that Rogers was supposed to be, but had in the 5th round.

He's a big MF'er though. I thought Okoye looked like the biggest guy on the line last year, but that ****s out the window now. I've always wanted to see a big nasty on our D-line, and hopefully he can be it.

TEXANRED
04-27-2008, 02:16 PM
I don't know if he'll win us games, but hopefully he'll be everything that Rogers was supposed to be, but had in the 5th round.

He's a big MF'er though. I thought Okoye looked like the biggest guy on the line last year, but that ****s out the window now. I've always wanted to see a big nasty on our D-line, and hopefully he can be it.

I think fat Albert was a 5th rounder and due to it being his contract year and was playing for a contract, he single handedly carried the Titans D from 32nd to top 10.

Those are the same expectations that I have for Okam.

TheRealJoker
04-27-2008, 02:18 PM
I think fat Albert was a 5th rounder and due to it being his contract year and was playing for a contract, he single handedly carried the Titans D from 32nd to top 10.

Those are the same expectations that I have for Okam.

Fat Albert was like a top 15 pick. Him and Henderson were college teammates and came out in the same draft plus were highly touted.

TexansFanatic
04-27-2008, 02:20 PM
The entire Longhorn defense underachieved last year. I think there's little doubt some of the blame for that rested squarely on Duane Akina, the DC who really should have stayed put as secondary coach. As a consequence of his squad's poor performance, Akina was demoted.

Okam was a bit of a disappointment at Texas because he was so highly rated coming out of high school (a 5-star blue chip recruit). Let's hope superior coaching in Houston will get him to achieve what someone with his physical gifts is capable of.

BattleRedToro
04-27-2008, 02:20 PM
If the Texans have improved play from their DT's this year that should free up DeMeco Ryans, so it may be Ryans who sees the statistical improvement from this moreso than the DT's themselves.

b0ng
04-27-2008, 02:23 PM
Fat Albert was like a top 15 pick. Him and Henderson were college teammates and came out in the same draft plus were highly touted.

Yes, Fat Albert has pretty much been under performing his pick status up until last season. I don't know if Okam should be held to those standards because he's probably not as nasty as Fat Albert.

bah007
04-27-2008, 02:24 PM
If the Texans have improved play from their DT's this year that should free up DeMeco Ryans, so it may be Ryans who sees the statistical improvement from this moreso than the DT's themselves.

Ray Lewis' entire career agrees with that assessment.

austintexanite
04-27-2008, 02:33 PM
I've seen him play since he got here and he got pushed around his last two years. He never lived up to the hype. Hopefully getting picked in the 5th is a wake up call and he can become a dominant player.

TEXANRED
04-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Ray Lewis' entire career agrees with that assessment.

The Goose personally made Ray Lewis a HOF'er.

Anytime you got a big guy to clear out the bodies for your LB'er to make the plays, your going to have a LB'er that will dictate the pace of the game and take over. DeMeco must be ecstatic right now.

edo783
04-27-2008, 02:39 PM
MMmm, big dude to stop the run. Frank "The Buffet" Okam?

GP
04-27-2008, 02:41 PM
How many "Doesn't seem to be motivated" guys are out there?

Seems like every scouting report says that a large-frame dlineman or a large-frame olineman "doesn't seem to be motivated."

Dude, the guys are fat. They got fat because they were unmotivated to stop eating. It's called "being a fatty." LOL. I personally like having a huge chunk of "doesn't seem to be motivated" planted right in the middle of the dline.

'Bout time we had a fatty run-stuffer, especially on short-yardage situations.

Line_Producer
04-27-2008, 02:46 PM
I personally like having a huge chunk of "doesn't seem to be motivated" planted right in the middle of the dline.

Best Okam quote right there. Rep coming your way.

Spled
04-27-2008, 02:48 PM
If we can get him off the quarter pounders, he might be a steal.

Porky
04-27-2008, 02:50 PM
Here's a highlight package of Okam (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/specials/draft/2008/video/?c=Player&p=215789&s=3030742&i=213854)

YoungTexanFan
04-27-2008, 02:51 PM
How many "Doesn't seem to be motivated" guys are out there?

Seems like every scouting report says that a large-frame dlineman or a large-frame olineman "doesn't seem to be motivated."

Dude, the guys are fat. They got fat because they were unmotivated to stop eating. It's called "being a fatty." LOL. I personally like having a huge chunk of "doesn't seem to be motivated" planted right in the middle of the dline.

'Bout time we had a fatty run-stuffer, especially on short-yardage situations.

I agree the term is overused, but it fits Okam. He was a freshman All-American and he was a first round lock and potential top 15 pick until the middle of his junior year. It looks like he just stopped caring and got complacent. He really did not seem to be motivated.

AustinJB
04-27-2008, 02:59 PM
I agree the term is overused, but it fits Okam. He was a freshman All-American and he was a first round lock and potential top 15 pick until the middle of his junior year. It looks like he just stopped caring and got complacent. He really did not seem to be motivated.

I completely agree. His first couple of yrs, he seemed to have more drive and be more of a "playmaker". This last yr he did underachieve and just didn't seem to be a factor in the outcome of the game. He still wasn't bad...he didn't necessarily get pushed around or anything...just didn't make the play that made you say "wow".

A lot was also said about how he is very smart and wants to attend law school in the future. This combined with the mentality that he takes plays off, caused people to question his love of the game.

If he gets a little motivated, he should be a very good run-stuffing DT IMO.

GuerillaBlack
04-27-2008, 03:04 PM
I hope the bum Travis Johnson is gone now. Let Okam take his spot.

Mr teX
04-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Eh, i don't think that this guy is a real "gamer" he's already making plans to go to law school & was an underachiever @ Texas. Sounds like he's not motivated to be the best he could be, especially for someone who was regarded as a 1st rounder just a year or 2 ago.

bah007
04-27-2008, 04:34 PM
Eh, i don't think that this guy is a real "gamer" he's already making plans to go to law school & was an underachiever @ Texas. Sounds like he's not motivated to be the best he could be, especially for someone who was regarded as a 1st rounder just a year or 2 ago.

The kid had a 4.0 at the University of Texas. Of course he thought about law school.

Ever heard of a backup plan?

He literally got torn up by scouts & draftniks because of his offseason weight gain & "underachiever" status. If I was him, I would make sure I had more than one option too.

Mr teX
04-27-2008, 05:29 PM
The kid had a 4.0 at the University of Texas. Of course he thought about law school.

Ever heard of a backup plan?

He literally got torn up by scouts & draftniks because of his offseason weight gain & "underachiever" status. If I was him, I would make sure I had more than one option too.

I, as I'm sure kubes is loving the fact that the kid has a back up plan & a good head on his shoulders, that's not what i meant. But maybe he looked @ both options (law school vs. NFL) & saw law school as more of what he wanted to do for the near future, consequently he began to "underachieve" or whatever scouts think happened to him between the year before & last year @ UT.

That's all speculation of course, but i wasn't saying he was an ***** for looking into his law school avenues once his NFL career is over, relax dude.

Texans Horror
04-27-2008, 05:51 PM
He's a fifth-rounder, and if I remember the Texans' history with fifth-rounders, it's not so bad. And he's from Texas, which is great for the Texans. Just like having Studdard on the team immediately raised the bar and caused the team to go 8-8, I am sure Okam's pressence alone will help the team garner its first winning season. :)

TexanSam
04-27-2008, 06:25 PM
I'm drooling at the potential we have on our D-line with Okam, Okoye, and Mario!!" :drool:

The1ApplePie
04-27-2008, 06:28 PM
The Texans finally get their fatass!

DeMeco, Adibi, and Greenwood just got better

Smash_Mouth_Mario
04-27-2008, 06:31 PM

Yeah, a bull rusher. But good against the run (a Mario weakness).

Texans34Life
04-27-2008, 06:38 PM
What is this crap?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8079910/Handing-out-draft-grades-for-AFC-teams

Houston

Virginia Tech's Duane Brown was considered a second rounder, considering he's an offensive tackle who was a tight end two years ago. Brown did play both right and left tackle in college, which gives him a chance of being a good pro. The Texans kept trading down once they missed out on Chris Williams of Vanderbilt. West Virginia's Steve Slaton will help immensely on special teams, but he remains a project at wide receiver. Both CB Antwaun Molden and LB Xavier Adibi should help the defense immediately because both were productive players in college. Fifth-rounder Frank Okam of Texas has a chance to be a starter unless he gets accepted to medical school.

Grade: C

The1ApplePie
04-27-2008, 06:44 PM
How long before Okam eats TJ to move up the depth chart?

Hardcore Texan
04-27-2008, 07:01 PM
Justice is Okam sacking VY on a 4th down play and the Tacks are going for the win. :fans:

Seriously, Okam's nickname should be Bacardi, he was pick #151 and he is smooth.

dc_txtech
04-27-2008, 07:06 PM

Sure okam may be big and he probably eats a lot. But to suggest that he would eat another human is not very tasteful.

Smash_Mouth_Mario
04-27-2008, 07:08 PM
What is this crap?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8079910/Handing-out-draft-grades-for-AFC-teams

Houston

Virginia Tech's Duane Brown was considered a second rounder, considering he's an offensive tackle who was a tight end two years ago. Brown did play both right and left tackle in college, which gives him a chance of being a good pro. The Texans kept trading down once they missed out on Chris Williams of Vanderbilt. West Virginia's Steve Slaton will help immensely on special teams, but he remains a project at wide receiver. Both CB Antwaun Molden and LB Xavier Adibi should help the defense immediately because both were productive players in college. Fifth-rounder Frank Okam of Texas has a chance to be a starter unless he gets accepted to medical school.

Grade: C

Did we trade down twice?

"The Texans kept trading down once they missed out on Chris Williams of Vanderbilt"

dc_txtech
04-27-2008, 07:24 PM
Did we trade down twice?

"The Texans kept trading down once they missed out on Chris Williams of Vanderbilt"

I'm pretty sure we only traded back once. This article is terrible. Slaton is not a WR, Okam was thinking about Law not medical school, and we only traded once.

The Pencil Neck
04-27-2008, 07:46 PM
Yeah, a bull rusher. But good against the run (a Mario weakness).

Huh? Mario is a beast against the run.

alphajoker
04-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Here's his combine video...he runs well for a big fella.

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv/index.asp?mm_file_id=2258&play_clip=Y

ATXtexanfan
04-27-2008, 08:41 PM

I remember hearing an "orangebloodz" ( no spell check ) guy say that heading into his junior year that the coaching staff expected him to be the best DT they ever had. over hampton and rogers. he was hurt his jr yr, sr yr a dud. if mario,amobi,travis or jethro can light a fire under his ass he could be the steal of the draft.

ATXtexanfan
04-27-2008, 08:44 PM

tj is solid, not a bum

edo783
04-27-2008, 09:30 PM
Frank "The Buffet" Okam is the space eater that we have all said we need to stop the run. I doubt that we would have picked him if there was much chance of him bolting to law school. I see that as his plan "B" or something he will do after football. A football salry that's put away will pay for a boatload of law school. Nice to know he's a smart guy.

CloakNNNdagger
04-27-2008, 09:33 PM
I posted this in the draft thread, but Okam already has a great nickname...............THE NIGHTMARE

From an ESPN chat with Okam:

JC (AUSTIN, TX): Frank, Why do they call you "The Nightmare"?

Frank Okam: When I was a freshmen during two-a-days, one of our tackles called me an offensive lineman's nightmare. Ever since then, it all kinda stuck.

J-Russ
04-27-2008, 09:43 PM
waaiit a minute...

Amobi Okoye is also nickname the nightmare.... the nigerian nightmare.

So would we be calling them the Nightmare Duo?

thunderkyss
04-27-2008, 09:50 PM

Wow....

Travis Johnson is a bum now??

Okoye's a freak'n God, but TJ is a bum??

Had we drafted Okoye with that rag-tag, Ronald McDonald regime that was running this team, he wouldn't have done any better than Travis Johnson, who was a better, more productive player coming out of college.

Let's line up Amobi Okoye as a Defensive end in a 3-4 defense with a bunch of other players who don't fit at the positions we put them in.

In Reality, Amobi & TJ are the same guy.... One is just being allowed to do what he's good at, and the other is asked to do something he's never done before.

TexanSam
04-27-2008, 09:53 PM
In Reality, Amobi & TJ are the same guy.... One is just being allowed to do what he's good at, and the other is asked to do something he's never done before.

Ummm...no.

adam
04-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Wow....

Travis Johnson is a bum now??

Okoye's a freak'n God, but TJ is a bum??

Had we drafted Okoye with that rag-tag, Ronald McDonald regime that was running this team, he wouldn't have done any better than Travis Johnson, who was a better, more productive player coming out of college.

Let's line up Amobi Okoye as a Defensive end in a 3-4 defense with a bunch of other players who don't fit at the positions we put them in.

I don't recall Okoye being a hot headed a--hole who lacks work ethic and kills good defensive plays with boneheaded personal fouls. Okoye has been more productive in one season than Johnson has been in three, especially in the sack department.

mexican_texan
04-27-2008, 10:10 PM
waaiit a minute...

Amobi Okoye is also nickname the nightmare.... the nigerian nightmare.

So would we be calling them the Nightmare Duo?
I say from now on, we call the other team's O-line "Elm St."

Htownsportsfan
04-27-2008, 10:25 PM
Sure okam may be big and he probably eats a lot. But to suggest that he would eat another human is not very tasteful.

The suggestion is not tasteful or the Hu. Oh never mind!

Hagar
04-27-2008, 11:12 PM
From his bio #97 Frank Okam (http://profootballexperts.scout.com/a.z?s=211&p=8&c=1&nid=3019068)

PERSONAL: Born 10/16/85 in Pinebluff, Arkansas. ... full name is Franklin Nonyelu Okam, Jr. ... moved to Texas at age four ... majoring in sports management ... a four-time member of UT's Athletics Director's Honor Roll ... honor student who maintained a 3.9 GPA as a prepster ... was ranked among the top 30 students in his senior class ... speaks French ... active in UT's community service program ... is part of a group of Longhorns that regularly visits patients at the Austin Children's Hospital ... enjoys playing chess and dominos ... spent the past two summers working at an Austin law firm ... intends to go to law school after his playing days are over ... enjoys cooking ... has been preparing meals since he was eight years old.

Doesn't sound "unmotivated" to me. As a matter of fact, I'd say just the opposite.

threetoedpete
04-27-2008, 11:26 PM

He's thirty seven pounds over weight. He's either going to lose the weight or earn a one way ticket out of town. Too many Austin burritoes and beer.

BigBull17
04-27-2008, 11:44 PM

If anything, this pick lets TJ rotate with Okoye. Its his more natural position.

threetoedpete
04-28-2008, 12:35 AM

that's a rep apple. Er, Fats Okam.... k ?

threetoedpete
04-28-2008, 12:37 AM
Did we trade down twice?

I thought the L-Sat was law school ? anyone, anyone ?

threetoedpete
04-28-2008, 12:43 AM

Well if he is at 347...he's 37 pounds too heavy that's for sure. Carring around four bowling balls, no Gd wonder he lost that first step burst he had as a sophmore. it's simple...either lose the Gd weight or go to law school and slum around with the rest of us nuckle draggers. Football Gauds reach down when you were in the womb and grant the gift of a body like that and you pi$$ it all away. How stupid is that ?

The Pencil Neck
04-28-2008, 12:52 AM
I thought the L-Sat was law school ? anyone, anyone ?

Yes. He was planning on going to Law School. He might have been accepted already.

But I've also heard a couple of people mention medical school but I don't know if they were just getting confused.

The Pencil Neck
04-28-2008, 12:54 AM
Well if he is at 347...he's 37 pounds too heavy that's for sure. Caring around four bowling balls, no Gd wonder he lost that first step burst he had as a sophmore. it's simple...either lose the Gd weight or go to law school and slum around with the rest of us nuckle dragers. Football Gauds reach down when you were in the womb and grant the gift of a body like that and you pi$$ it all away. How stupid is that ?

Apparently, the only reason they drafted him was because they sat down with him and talked to him about whether he was really serious about playing football. Apparently, they liked his answer.

However, if he's studying to be a lawyer, how would they know he wasn't just BSing them?

Mr teX
04-28-2008, 08:19 AM
Apparently, the only reason they drafted him was because they sat down with him and talked to him about whether he was really serious about playing football. Apparently, they liked his answer.

However, if he's studying to be a lawyer, how would they know he wasn't just BSing them?

probably drafted him based off his answer & his upside & his value as a 5th rounder. Apparently from what i'm hearing from others on here, if he loses the weight he gained he'll be back to that guy that the UT faithful thought he would become when they recruited him.

DBCooper
04-28-2008, 08:28 AM

They drafted him because he's a big plug in the D-Line with some athletic ability. He's smart and could be really disruptive on this defense.

TheRealJoker
04-28-2008, 08:39 AM
He's a space eating DT that also happens to move well. Classic example of a boom or bust player. If the switch comes on he's the steal of the draft, if not he's out of the league and in law school inside 3 years.

adam
04-28-2008, 08:44 AM
He's a space eating DT that also happens to move well. Classic example of a boom or bust player. If the switch comes on he's the steal of the draft, if not he's out of the league and in law school inside 3 years.

I would agree with this to an extent. Should he play even decently, the sheer size of this man will free up everyone on our front seven (spare Weaver, who wouldn't get free were he playing from the driver's seat of an 18-wheeler). Ultimately, I think this guy could be the missing link to our defense...especially as far as stopping the run is concerned.

TheRealJoker
04-28-2008, 08:58 AM
I would agree with this to an extent. Should he play even decently, the sheer size of this man will free up everyone on our front seven (spare Weaver, who wouldn't get free were he playing from the driver's seat of an 18-wheeler). Ultimately, I think this guy could be the missing link to our defense...especially as far as stopping the run is concerned.

He adds a dimension we severely needed in a true 2 gap DT. Just like Slaton added a dimension to our offense in a true 3rd down back homerun threat. Guys like them who can fill a particular role are the difference between winning and losing.

Look at the Patriots, when they won their Superbowls they didn't really have any superstars on the team other than Tom Brady. But they had a lot of guys that played a particular role and played it well.

cuppacoffee
04-28-2008, 02:34 PM

Pfffft.

In your dreams Apple

tj is solid, not a bum

The voice of intelligence.

:coffee:

Ole Miss Texan
04-28-2008, 02:40 PM

I think he has the best chance to succeed being selected by the Texans. He's the BIG DT we've been needing, I'm sure he will lose some pounds from all the conditioning and working out he'll be forced to do. I think playing next to Amobi and Mario will really help him get his head on straight as far as being a football player. You never know, but definitely worth a 5th round pick. If he works, it's such a steal. What better motivation could you have than helping #1 overall Mario Williams, Youngest player ever drafted and top 10 pick Amobi Okoye, another 1st round DT Travis Johnson... and I'm sure the coaches will be lighting a fire under ALL of their rear ends.

If he makes it, this really helps our Run defense and allows our LB's to do more of their normal job, freeing them up a bit. This could have a really great impact on our entire defense. Helping free Mario and Amobi to get after/rush the QB- only helps our secondary too.

DBCooper
04-28-2008, 02:46 PM
Another thing to consider is he doesn't have to study all the time to make straight A's. Now it's football 24/7. No more school.

Vinny
04-28-2008, 02:55 PM
If we can get him off the quarter pounders, he might be a steal.don't stop the cheeseburgers now...this is the 350lb double-patty space eater we need on the goal line and in short yardage packages. I see him as a situational player early in his career.

BSofA04
04-28-2008, 03:01 PM
UT's revolving door with their defensive coordinators could have led to Okam's inconsistency. I'm going on record to say that Okam will be challenged this year like he never has before and will be our starting NT against Pittsburgh. I just see some competitive response coming out of Big Frank and it will benfit our front 7. Hell, I'll even adopt him when the time comes.

BTW, Okam has a sick spin move.

Errant Hothy
04-28-2008, 03:03 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-2008afcdraftgrades042808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Bottom line: B. Give Houston a lot of credit for maneuvering around the draft, particularly after a mid-first round run on offensive linemen left the Texans without great choices at the No. 18 spot. They slid back to get Brown at No. 26, nabbing a need player at a better value spot. You also have to love the speed of Slaton, who can change a game in a hurry. However, Molden is too raw and the downside of Slaton is that he doesnt like contact, making him a predictable runner. Okam, a former defensive tackle, is likely to shift to guard, a clever move by teams that realize that non-athletic DTs can make for cheap, athletic Gs.

Okam moving to OG...surly not...right?

Vinny
04-28-2008, 03:05 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-2008afcdraftgrades042808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Okam moving to OG...surly not...right?the guy who wrote this just needs to go back to watching water boil.

TexansFanatic
04-28-2008, 03:07 PM

Okam moving to OG...surly not...right?

Not a chance. It's amazing how crap like that gets started and then just feeds on itself. Okam is a DT and will remain a DT and will do very well for the good guys.

Errant Hothy
04-28-2008, 03:07 PM
the guy who wrote this just needs to go back to watching water boil.

That's what I tought as well, just wanted to verify.

BSofA04
04-28-2008, 03:08 PM
http://images.burntorangenation.com/images/admin/bigfrankokam.jpg

AustinJB
04-28-2008, 04:36 PM
For those interested, here is a little Q&A with Okam from the Longhorn's website.

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=40&url_article_id=3779&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2

Draft Day Q&A: Frank Okam

Q: What is it like now that the process is done, you've been drafted and you're staying in the state of Texas?

A: It's a life's dream becoming a reality. It's something I thought about since I was a little kid and it's finally come to pass. I'm almost speechless. On top of that, I get to stay in the state of Texas and getting to move to a great city like Houston is really a blessing.

Q: What do you know about the Texans?

A: It's definitely a great organization. I actually met with them a few weeks before the draft and met all the personnel. I really feel like it's a team that is going in the right direction. There in a very tough division, obviously, but they had a great season last year finishing 8-8 and just missing the playoffs.

Q: What are you looking to help them with?

A: The Texans are definitely one of the up-and-coming teams in the league and they have a lot of really good, young players on the defense. I think one of the things I can come in and help with is being able to stop the run.

Playing at Texas and being a part of a top 10 rushing defense the last few years is something you can hang your hat on. I also think I can help out by getting pressure on the quarterback. I'm just going to try and bring my talents to the defense and keep working towards being one of the best defenses in the league.

Q: How did playing at Texas help prepare you for this?

A: When you play at Texas, you are always playing against the top talent from across the country. While I was there, we had a chance to play the USCs, the Ohio States and the Michigans, so we got a chance to play against the nation's best. I think that makes the transition to the next level a little bit easier because you know you can compete on that level. It's why you go to Texas, for the competition, the academics and the whole environment. It really prepares you for the next step.

Q: What do you think about reuniting with Kasey Studdard?

A: It's definitely a great thing having a former teammate down there, especially when it's a great guy like Kasey. I think him going through the whole process last year will really help me. It will be good to have a familiar face there. We've actually been working out together in the offseason for a while, but now I can talk to him about the team and what it's like down there, so I should be able to use him as a resource and hopefully, that will make my transition a little easier.

Porky
04-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Heck, I say just have him lay down with a cheeseburger in his mouth, and dare the RB to try and leap his stomach. :user:

mexican_texan
04-28-2008, 05:00 PM
For those interested, here is a little Q&A with Okam from the Longhorn's website.

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=40&url_article_id=3779&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2

Draft Day Q&A: Frank Okam

Q: What is it like now that the process is done, you've been drafted and you're staying in the state of Texas?

A: It's a life's dream becoming a reality. It's something I thought about since I was a little kid and it's finally come to pass. I'm almost speechless. On top of that, I get to stay in the state of Texas and getting to move to a great city like Houston is really a blessing.

Q: What do you know about the Texans?

A: It's definitely a great organization. I actually met with them a few weeks before the draft and met all the personnel. I really feel like it's a team that is going in the right direction. There in a very tough division, obviously, but they had a great season last year finishing 8-8 and just missing the playoffs.

Q: What are you looking to help them with?

A: The Texans are definitely one of the up-and-coming teams in the league and they have a lot of really good, young players on the defense. I think one of the things I can come in and help with is being able to stop the run.

Playing at Texas and being a part of a top 10 rushing defense the last few years is something you can hang your hat on. I also think I can help out by getting pressure on the quarterback. I'm just going to try and bring my talents to the defense and keep working towards being one of the best defenses in the league.

Q: How did playing at Texas help prepare you for this?

A: When you play at Texas, you are always playing against the top talent from across the country. While I was there, we had a chance to play the USCs, the Ohio States and the Michigans, so we got a chance to play against the nation's best. I think that makes the transition to the next level a little bit easier because you know you can compete on that level. It's why you go to Texas, for the competition, the academics and the whole environment. It really prepares you for the next step.

Q: What do you think about reuniting with Kasey Studdard?

A: It's definitely a great thing having a former teammate down there, especially when it's a great guy like Kasey. I think him going through the whole process last year will really help me. It will be good to have a familiar face there. We've actually been working out together in the offseason for a while, but now I can talk to him about the team and what it's like down there, so I should be able to use him as a resource and hopefully, that will make my transition a little easier.
He seems smarter and more eloquent than most players; sounds like an offensive lineman.

GuerillaBlack
04-28-2008, 05:01 PM
People go to Texas for academics?

J-Russ
04-28-2008, 06:03 PM
what a steal. (http://web.archive.org/web/20070828023928/www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/rankings.html)

Texans_Chick
04-28-2008, 06:07 PM
Yes. He was planning on going to Law School. He might have been accepted already.

But I've also heard a couple of people mention medical school but I don't know if they were just getting confused.

The law school stuff was overblown. The medical school stuff was made up:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4285

(on what he said to defensive coordinator Richard Smith to convince him that he was a guy to be drafted by Houston) Im a competitor. I love the game, and I want to play in an organization that is heading in the right direction, and I really felt that they were doing that. Basically, I just want to let them see my talents and my focus personally. Before you can judge someone fully you have to get to know that person, and they brought me in and really sat down and talked to me. They just wanted to see where my head was, and they knew that Im passionate about this game. I basically told them that they are going to get a guy that can stop the run and get at the quarterback when you need that.

(on dropping so low in the draft) It was probably a lot of different factors and things. Probably, the reason talked about was the law school stuff. People wanted to know if I really wanted to play the game or go to school. There were people worried about my passion for the game. I think, just looking at the way things were brought up in the draft, there are still a lot of special type players that havent been drafted yet or maybe wont be drafted. As long as you know what you want, that is really all I cared about. Football is football, the draft will take care of itself, and once you get there no one really remembers what round you went. In training camp, you have to go play.

I think Okam could be the steal of the entire draft.

dalemurphy
04-28-2008, 06:50 PM

He sure will make our situational line rotation a lot better. I sure like the idea of Okam over the center on third and short, while Okoye takes a breather and is fresher on passing downs.

BSofA04
04-28-2008, 06:59 PM
what a steal. (http://web.archive.org/web/20070828023928/www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/rankings.html)

LOL, that was one of the first big boards of 2007. My how things changed throughout the season. He's still a potential steal for the Texans and I'm on the Frank Okam bandwagon. I really think he'll do great things for us.

TexansFanatic
04-28-2008, 07:24 PM

Excellent find. And that's not a misprint. He was considered a top 5 pick prior to a sub-par senior outing. But as I mentioned in a previous post, the Longhorn defense was poorly coached under a DC who was out of his league. As a consequence, that DC has been demoted to secondary coach (where he'll do fine). With the kind of coaching upgrade Okam will get in his move to Houston, we should see an absolute steal blossom. I, for one, am very stoked about this pick.

Bubbajwp
04-28-2008, 07:28 PM
If he can get motivated he will be the biggest steal in the draft. Kid is a beast when motivated.

Wolf
04-28-2008, 08:23 PM
more
http://www.star-telegram.com/329/story/608012.html

NFLDraftScout.com probably described him best when it said Okam was "like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates -- you just don't ever know what you are going to get from him on game day."

That's why NFL coaches questioned his pro value and why he dropped to the fifth round of the draft.

And why Smith wanted to talk with him one final time before the draft.

"You can have all the talent in the world," Smith said Sunday, "but if you don't have heart, you're just wasting a pick on him.

"What I just wanted to do was to see how important football was to him. When we brought him in here last week, he said all the right things I wanted to hear."

Okam knows the knock on his playing ability.

"People wanted to know if I really wanted to play the game," he said. "They heard I was going to go to law school and they wanted to know if that was my first interest. They were worried about my passion for the game.

"The Texans just wanted to see where my head was. I told them I am a competitor. I love the game of football. I think the Texans are an organization headed in the right direction and I want to be a part of it."

Smith knows the Texans have some developmental work to do with Okam.

"His play was a little inconsistent in college," Smith said. "But that's our job as coaches to get it out of him.

"He has the size and dimensions we were looking for. We're really a little bit undersized at the tackle spots and to have a guy like him as a backup could help us. We think he's got great potential and we're excited to have him."

HOUSTON TEXANS DRAFT PICKS

Thorn
04-28-2008, 08:27 PM
I saw some video on him somewhere, and for a guy of his size and bulk, he still has a good spin move.

J-Russ
04-28-2008, 09:04 PM
I don't get it, he had the best year of his career (statistically) last year but he drops from 4th overall prospect to 5th round grade.

What causes the downfall again? It didn't look like it came from his gameplay.

BSofA04
04-28-2008, 09:12 PM
I don't get it, he had the best year of his career (statistically) last year but he drops from 4th overall prospect to 5th round grade.

Bad defensive scheme came make the most talented of defensive players very ordinary. Maybe it started to get to him? For what it's worth, he was inconsistent at times last season, but he is one of the main reasons why the Longhorns remained competitive. There just wasn't as much of a "wow" factor as he had two years ago.

Line_Producer
04-28-2008, 09:29 PM
He sure will make our situational line rotation a lot better. I sure like the idea of Okam over the center on third and short, while Okoye takes a breather and is fresher on passing downs.

I can see Maddox relieving Okoye. I believe that if anyone is getting spelled, Okam will be spelling TJ as they play the same position on the line.

TEXANRED
04-28-2008, 09:31 PM
This could be the slogan for our Texans defense when Okoye and Okam line up together:

"The Houston Texans Defense showing you there O face."

I saw on the Texans website that Okam's nickname was "The Nightmare."

The1ApplePie
04-28-2008, 09:36 PM
"Big Sexy" Frank Okam?

Lucky
04-28-2008, 09:37 PM
These players are put on a pedestal by internet scouts, then torn down after undergoing the massive scrutiny of NFL scouts. I do think Okam dropped a couple of rounds due to getting so out of shape in the offseason. The reality is that he was never more than a 2nd day pick.

But, that was then. As Okam himself said, "...Once you get there no one really remembers what round you went."

Fox
04-28-2008, 09:50 PM
Some game footage of Okam:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/specials/draft/2008/video/?c=Player&p=215789&s=3030742&i=213854

Big guy can still move. Should be nice for short yardage situations. Btw, you can get game footage of basically all of our picks except Molden and Brink here: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2008/draft/tracker/draft_selections/round1.html

BattleRedToro
04-29-2008, 06:46 AM
I don't believe his reduction in performance was from a lack of motivation. I believe it was caused by poor conditioning, and that is something that he and the Texans staff can partially remedy, if not entirely, by the time the season starts.

CloakNNNdagger
04-29-2008, 07:44 AM

How many strip club dancers are "going to" law school or medical school?

Yes, I agree, he will concentrate his focus on the task at hand. With our coaching and our intense fitness program and his ever strengthening support cast, Okam will be showing his value sooner than later.

He reminds me of Curley Culp from the days I grew up in Kansas City with the Chiefs of old......His nickname was appropriately "The Stump." BTW, Okam already has earned a nickname as a Longhorn........"Nightmare"" as well as "Big Frank"

Texans_Chick
04-29-2008, 09:32 AM
How many strip club dancers are "going to" law school or medical school?

Yes, I agree, he will concentrate his focus on the task at hand. With our coaching and our intense fitness program and his ever strengthening support cast, Okam will be showing his value sooner than later.

He reminds me of Curley Culp from the days I grew up in Kansas City with the Chiefs of old......His nickname was appropriately "The Stump." BTW, Okam already has earned a nickname as a Longhorn........"Nightmare"" as well as "Big Frank"

Culp was also an Oiler. I met him at the Luv Ya Blue reunion.

I think the Okam = too interested in law school is the same sort of pre-draft crap as DeMeco = not athletic enough. All these pre draft things on DeMeco said he wasn't athletic, but if you checked his key combine stats, they were off the chart, not to mention is great performance in the SEC.

Draft report information is very superficial. That's why you need to do your own homework. I guess the Texans did when they brought Okam in. In 2006, they said that Eric Winston didn't do short interviews very well. It seemed to me that he might have been too bright--he is a very bright and engaging person--but kind of a smartass.

Specnatz
04-29-2008, 10:17 AM
Culp was also an Oiler. I met him at the Luv Ya Blue reunion.

I think the Okam = too interested in law school is the same sort of pre-draft crap as DeMeco = not athletic enough. All these pre draft things on DeMeco said he wasn't athletic, but if you checked his key combine stats, they were off the chart, not to mention is great performance in the SEC.

Draft report information is very superficial. That's why you need to do your own homework. I guess the Texans did when they brought Okam in. In 2006, they said that Eric Winston didn't do short interviews very well. It seemed to me that he might have been too bright--he is a very bright and engaging person--but kind of a smartass.

Glad I am not a GM because that would have sold me on a guy right then and there. :splits:

Of course with Eric it would have been the right move.

threetoedpete
04-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Some game footage of Okam:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/specials/draft/2008/video/?c=Player&p=215789&s=3030742&i=213854

Big guy can still move. Should be nice for short yardage situations. Btw, you can get game footage of basically all of our picks except Molden and Brink here: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2008/draft/tracker/draft_selections/round1.html

They're going to need an extra taackle for the last eight games. There's a roster spot for him if he hustles up.

Smash_Mouth_Mario
04-29-2008, 04:30 PM
All I know is that Okam is a LOAD! :devilpig: Lets hope he can keep his weight down and not get hurt (knees).

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/9485/beefvx1.jpghttp://img255.imageshack.us/img255/8453/okamespnju4.jpg

Polo
04-30-2008, 12:24 AM
Don't know if this has been posted, but I'm sure it has somewhere within this thread...

I'll post it anyways...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5vix6p-nww