PDA

View Full Version : Xavier Adibi (OLB VT) is a Texan!!!

Yankee_In_TX
04-27-2008, 12:46 PM
Round 4, No. 118

TexansLucky13
04-27-2008, 12:47 PM
Good pick

camron1269
wow i am sooo happy that is THE guy i wanted. i actually wanted him with our first 3rd rounder i cant believe he lasted this long. he is really good

threetoedpete
Now I love this one...

Yankee_In_TX
04-27-2008, 12:48 PM
LOL, WTH with V Tech and VA?

Does someone have the good the bad and the ugly on him?

TexansLucky13
Our immortal 4th rounder lives on!

Mr teX
Psyched!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We need someone to help out Meco. That's the guy i wanted with our second 3rd.:specnatz: :specnatz:

Nawzer
Don't know much about him can someone enlighten me?

Hail_Schaub
Good pick

I love this cat - I think he'll be a great addition to the squad.

TEXANRED
He has a lot to live up to with that 4th round pick.

V Man
Nice pick,

Call this the virginia draft

camron1269
keep piling on the players from the state of virginia i guess

J-Russ
bye-bye Moron Greenwood.

Yaosa
04-27-2008, 12:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rAoZYmkHnA

highlights

Brando
04-27-2008, 12:50 PM
I don't know much about the guy but some on here wanted him.

Welcome to the Texans Adibi.

Silver Oak
just my opinion, but I think the team, in one way or another, have now addressed the 4 positions that most needed help.

can't ask for much more than that. let's get them to camp, coach them up, and we'll see where it takes us.

WesmanTexanfan
bye-bye Moron Greenwood.

Its Mr. Greenwood to you!

brakos82
keep piling on the players from the state of virginia i guess
I think at least half our recent acquisitions are from the mid-atlantic region...

Mr teX
04-27-2008, 12:51 PM
Solid, aggressive & speedy all good traits of a LB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rAoZYmkHnA&feature=related

Hail_Schaub
Don't know much about him can someone enlighten me?

From nfldraftcountdown.com (who had him as a 2nd/3rd rounder):

Strengths:
Smooth natural athlete...Good timed speed and quickness with a burst...Excellent sideline-to-sideline range...Really fluid and looks like a natural in coverage...Active and has a good motor...Good instincts...Does a nice job of evading blocks...Decent pass rusher and blitzer...Aggressive...A playmaker with good hands and ball skills.

Weaknesses:
Extremely undersized and really needs to add weight..Must get stronger...Finesse player who is not very physical..Has trouble taking on and shedding blockers...Not stout versus the run...Durability's a concern...Won't be a good fit in every scheme.

Notes:
Brother of former Hokie and NFL defensive end Nathaniel Adibi...Redshirted in '03 and then missed some time during the 2004 season after tearing a tendon in his right biceps...Offers a lot of potential on special teams...Lack of size is obviously a major drawback but he certainly has the talent to be a starter in the right system.

TexansLucky13

highlights

HOLY COW! This dude is a beast! I haven't watched much tape of him but DANG!

Texanballer
04-27-2008, 12:52 PM
damn guys, Nfl draft Countdown had this guy a 2nd/3rd rounder, 4th best OLB. What a steal!

Yaosa
04-27-2008, 12:53 PM
From nfldraftcountdown.com (who had him as a 2nd/3rd rounder):

Strengths:
Smooth natural athlete...Good timed speed and quickness with a burst...Excellent sideline-to-sideline range...Really fluid and looks like a natural in coverage...Active and has a good motor...Good instincts...Does a nice job of evading blocks...Decent pass rusher and blitzer...Aggressive...A playmaker with good hands and ball skills.

Weaknesses:
Extremely undersized and really needs to add weight..Must get stronger...Finesse player who is not very physical..Has trouble taking on and shedding blockers...Not stout versus the run...Durability's a concern...Won't be a good fit in every scheme.

Notes:
Brother of former Hokie and NFL defensive end Nathaniel Adibi...Redshirted in '03 and then missed some time during the 2004 season after tearing a tendon in his right biceps...Offers a lot of potential on special teams...Lack of size is obviously a major drawback but he certainly has the talent to be a starter in the right system.

ummmmmm

nunusguy
bye-bye Moron Greenwood.
I dunno, guess you're saying he's a WIL type backer ? Or can he play multiple LB positions ?

TheRealJoker
I'm happy with this pick. My Lindy's draft guide has him rated as the best coverage OLB (2nd OLB overall) in this class and a 2nd round pick. I think he'll play nickel backer for us in passing situations at the start of this season and hopefully eventually take over Greenwood's spot full time.

Here's to hoping he's the first guy on our team to be able to cover Dallas Clark!!!

SheTexan
OMG! I'm cracking up!! I guess if I ever want to see my grandson play for the TEXANS I better send him to V-Tech!! Did the Texans bother to scout any other schools other than those in Virg??

Yankee_In_TX
Anyone notice our picks' blurbs end with "...but can be a great player in the right system?"

Hrrrm.... :)

WesmanTexanfan
04-27-2008, 12:54 PM
I like this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFj3xYse1Y4&feature=related)

Ckw
04-27-2008, 12:55 PM

highlights

Great video! Man he plays hard!!! I'd heard a lot about him last year but had never seen any video. I like him! Stoked!! Welcome to Houston Xavier Adibi!!

brakos82
OMG! I'm cracking up!! I guess if I ever want to see my grandson play for the TEXANS I better send him to V-Tech!! Did the Texans bother to scout any other schools other than those in Virg??
E. Kentucky... :thinking:

threetoedpete
ummmmmm

they had to have someone who could replce Anderon's production on special teams.
and the guy has great hips. He has the chance to be a better pro than Keith Rivers.
Give him a chance. Let the coaches work their majic.

wow... his highlights look downright scary...

we love hokies, but holy *******, this draft is looking SO good...

Thorn
Good value for a 4th round pick. So far I am really liking this draft.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
04-27-2008, 12:56 PM
Prototype weakside LB. Enjoy your last year as a Texan, Morlon.

The Pencil Neck
ummmmmm

On NFLN, they showed coaches tape of him taking on blocks pretty effectively. They also showed him shedding guys pretty good.

I'm excited about this pick.

WesmanTexanfan
Anyone notice our picks' blurbs end with "...but can be a great player in the right system?"

yap, just remind yourself what they said about mario and it wont matter....:)

J-Russ
This was a such a great great GREAT value here in the mid 4th.

This is my favorite pick in this draft, Duane Brown would be a close second.

threetoedpete
04-27-2008, 12:58 PM

They are doing excatly what the wolf in new englnd does...find the guy in the thirty two who bangs a need and fits your system...if he ain't there... move back, gather future picks..

Mike Kerns
04-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Vids look pretty sweet. Our defense could be top 5 within 2 years.

Nawzer
04-27-2008, 01:00 PM
One thing's for sure: This guy is fast from the highlight videos I've seen so far. It's good because given the backs we have in our division we need someone to go sideline to sideline. Also looks very good in coverage. Could become the starter at some point this season I think.

Mr teX
04-27-2008, 01:01 PM
Here's another highlight montage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFj3xYse1Y4&feature=related

SheTexan
E. Kentucky... :thinking:

They must have had a brain fart!:zzz: J/K I'm not complaining, just struck me as funny. Good draft IMHO! I'm excited about TC now.

Yankee_In_TX
yap, just remind yourself what they said about mario and it wont matter....:)

LOL, orrrrrr just means we're really working on grabbing players for Gibbs' ZBS and whatever our defensive plan it...:texflag:

Brando

highlights

Thanks, he looks like a player!

This draft - http://tt.mainstreet.net/ttoutpost/McDonalds_PingPong_Im_Lovin_it.jpg

TexansLucky13
04-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Talking about the Texans on ESPN here....

Lots of love for Mario, DeMeco and Amobi!

brakos82
04-27-2008, 01:05 PM
Talking about the Texans on ESPN here....

Lots of love for Mario, DeMeco and Amobi!
The third sign of the Apocalypse... :hide:

triplethreat
04-27-2008, 01:06 PM
Says he is a good Back up on espn, hopefully we can add some muscule to the kid.

Yankee_In_TX
04-27-2008, 01:07 PM
At least Trey Wingo pretty much said people don't like our draft boards, but they've worked out the last few years on the field.

Lucky
04-27-2008, 01:12 PM
The additions of Adibi, Thompson, and Bentley will really upgrade the speed at LB.

BSofA04
04-27-2008, 01:13 PM
http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/78203738.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1937B8C00E1EDBEE48CDF7D7495E577861D 284831B75F48EF45
Duane Brown and Xavier Adibi

TheRealJoker
04-27-2008, 01:13 PM
Mel Kiper didn't seem too high on him but his critique kind of conflicted the scouting reports of everyone else. He's not fluid in his movement?

Hail_Schaub
04-27-2008, 01:22 PM
ummmmmm

He can avoid blockers but if he happens to get caught, he can't get rid of them.

Two different skills. Like reggie Bush can avoid tacklers, but if they catch him, he ain't busting through them and breaking away that often.

Hottoddie
04-27-2008, 01:28 PM
It's getting kind of funny watching ESPN. They don't know what to really say about the Texans. The only thing they've been willing to say is we haven't drafted "The Dude". I guess they're afraid of dogging us for fear it'll come back to haunt them (Reggie Bush vs. Mario). Way to go Rick. :D

leebigeztx
04-27-2008, 01:43 PM
During the senior bowl, he was the 1st player on the field everyday working on drops,footwork and everything else. It wasnt just 1 day either, it was everyday. Hes speedy and gets to the ball, This puts alot of pressure on greenwood especially since he has one of the highest cap charges on the team. In the mold of ernie sims type. great pick and was actually graded as a late 1st early 2nd.

YoungTexanFan
04-27-2008, 01:48 PM
This is a great pick. Up until the college season was winding down, I had Adibi as a mid FIRST round pick. He reminds me a lot of DeMeco Ryans. Neither one of them were the prototypical size, but both came from very good programs with good production. Adibi is a little smaller and more athletic while Ryans is the more solid tackler. Ryans had the ability to slide inside, but I don't really think Adibi would be able to if Ryans wasn't there. Regardless, Adibi is very good at flowing to the ball and can cover the sidelines as well. Adibi is one of the best covering LB's I've ever scouted. He has hands better than some CBs. I would like to see him add about 10 pounds as we move forward, but I don't think he needs to put on much more. He just needs to get stronger, but everything else is there. He is a missle to the ball, and he is a very good open field tackler, though I would like to see him square up a little more often. None of those issues are anything short of choachable, and I fully expect Adibi to be our starting WILL by the end of next year's TC.

Hagar
04-27-2008, 01:50 PM
Don't know much about him, but given the videos I just saw, he looks like a player to me.

Fast, nose for the ball and for the QB. Something tells me he's going to be used in 3rd down situations his first year.

TheRealJoker
04-27-2008, 01:51 PM
Don't know much about him, but given the videos I just saw, he looks like a player to me.

Fast, nose for the ball and for the QB. That Georgia Teck QB look like a high school player in that one montage. Something tells me he's going to be used in 3rd down situations his first year.

As soon as the pick was made I said to myself, "Nickel backer, finally we've got someone who can cover Clark."

Hagar
04-27-2008, 01:53 PM
Here's another highlight montage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFj3xYse1Y4&feature=relatedFreaken Georgia Teck QB got used like a red headed step child in the montage.

I'm smilin! :doot:

Mr teX
04-27-2008, 01:59 PM
Dude is just a baller, screw the measureables you can improve on most of those once you're in the league. Some guys can just play, & i think that's what Smithiak (who came up with that?) & co. do the best, they just know how to find guys who can play the game.

The Pencil Neck
04-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Smithiak (who came up with that?)

I think that was mine. I could be wrong, though.

leebigeztx
04-27-2008, 02:06 PM
He's was a rb and basketball player in highschool also. When he gets the ball, u can see him turn into a rb. I think he is the sleeper pick. Alot of people will be surprised at the kid. They finally have some speed as a will backer thats atheletic. I'm telling u the kid can flat out play. he plays fast too.

mexican_texan
04-27-2008, 02:07 PM
As soon as the pick was made I said to myself, "Nickel backer, finally we've got someone who can cover Clark."
Good point, I forgot about him. We'll never beat the Colts consistently if he and the slot receiver keeps killing us.

mexican_texan
04-27-2008, 02:08 PM
I think that was mine. I could be wrong, though.
Hmm. I thought you came up with the question mark...

The Pencil Neck
04-27-2008, 02:14 PM
Hmm. I thought you came up with the question mark...

Question mark? No. I came up with the exclamation point!

Revolution
04-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Mel Kiper didn't seem too high on him but his critique kind of conflicted the scouting reports of everyone else. He's not fluid in his movement?

I noticed that too. Most reports say he is very fluid, but Mel doesn't share this opinion I guess. I like the pick and I like the direction this draft is heading.

leebigeztx
04-27-2008, 02:22 PM
gil brandt and pat kirwin on nfl nfl radio are much better than the espn clowns. If u go to the senior bowl and see guys practice, you'll see guys that flat out play.

False Start
04-27-2008, 02:24 PM
The people that say "he wasn't rated very high on so and so's mock draft" crack me up . These people act like those guys opinions on players are the ten commandments or something .

DBCooper
04-27-2008, 02:25 PM
Dude is just a baller, screw the measureables you can improve on most of those once you're in the league. Some guys can just play, & i think that's what Smithiak (who came up with that?) & co. do the best, they just know how to find guys who can play the game.

Exactly.

He's a football player.

No Fear! That's the way you play LB!

Put some more muscle on this guy and he's a Pro Bowler.

Porky
04-27-2008, 02:56 PM
Fox Sports take (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/draftTracker)

Another guy who really slipped, I saw some mock drafts having Adibi going in the late first round last week. Here's a player who can flat out produce. At the college level, that is. With Adibi, the Texans take a shot on a standout college linebacker who some scouts thought had already reached his peak.

TiredOfSuffering
04-27-2008, 03:00 PM
I think this is a quality pickup. I wouldn't have had a complete fit if we'd traded our first pick in the third round and something lower to move up and take him, so I'm damned happy with him in the 4th. Really good grab.

We still need to address safety and the kid from Arizona State is out there...

Carr Bombed
04-27-2008, 04:00 PM
Fox Sports take (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/draftTracker)

Another guy who really slipped, I saw some mock drafts having Adibi going in the late first round last week. Here's a player who can flat out produce. At the college level, that is. With Adibi, the Texans take a shot on a standout college linebacker who some scouts thought had already reached his peak.

:gun: When will scouts ever learn to stop stumbling over a guy's measurables..........the guy flat out plays and is starting to sound like the "Zach Thomas" of OLBers.

swtbound07
04-27-2008, 04:25 PM
watching the film packages on him, i'm stoked. This guy will probably start at WILL for us....he's the total package. Hands, a fearless hitter, a guy with a nose for the ball. Man im stoked...Adibi and Slaton are going to be the class of our draft. This is awesome...we strike late round gold again. Now...if we can just get that army safety......

b0ng
04-27-2008, 04:30 PM
watching the film packages on him, i'm stoked. This guy will probably start at WILL for us....he's the total package. Hands, a fearless hitter, a guy with a nose for the ball. Man im stoked...Adibi and Slaton are going to be the class of our draft. This is awesome...we strike late round gold again. Now...if we can just get that army safety......

Good to see you're back on the bandwagon again. :texflag:

adam
04-27-2008, 04:32 PM
This is another good pick for us. Should Adibi live up to his potential, he could be a very dominant player. This addition could make our linebacking corp quite horrifying to offenses.

Heath Shuler
04-27-2008, 05:16 PM
I'm happy with this pick. My Lindy's draft guide has him rated as the best coverage OLB (2nd OLB overall) in this class and a 2nd round pick. I think he'll play nickel backer for us in passing situations at the start of this season and hopefully eventually take over Greenwood's spot full time.

Here's to hoping he's the first guy on our team to be able to cover Dallas Clark!!!

So he's a reach because media guys dont have him rated where guys who get paid to draft players picked him?

Just to clarify: If the media experts like our pick it is OK to quote them but, if they donít like our pick the media experts donít know what they are talking about?

PapaL
04-27-2008, 05:51 PM
I've seen him play more than times (being as I live in the area) and he always jumped out at me. Be it either because everyone else sucked and he was decent or he was actually pretty good. I think this is also a good pick and easily my favorite draftee this year.

TheRealJoker
04-27-2008, 06:20 PM
Just to clarify: If the media experts like our pick it is OK to quote them but, if they donít like our pick the media experts donít know what they are talking about?

Fair point, but the quote that I pointed to from Lindy's was almost unanimously agreed upon by every other source.

TexansSeminole
04-27-2008, 08:36 PM
I've seen him play more than times (being as I live in the area) and he always jumped out at me. Be it either because everyone else sucked and he was decent or he was actually pretty good. I think this is also a good pick and easily my favorite draftee this year.

My favorite as well. This guy will be our future WILL. He is fast and he plays hard. The guy can play in coverage, and he can penetrate and make plays behind the line of scrimmage. One of my favorite players from the draft...I have been hyping him up for months.

LOVE IT.

stingray
04-27-2008, 08:39 PM
gil brandt and pat kirwin on nfl nfl radio are much better than the espn clowns. If u go to the senior bowl and see guys practice, you'll see guys that flat out play.

Agree 100%. Kirwin and Brandt know there stuff...

Xcellerator
04-27-2008, 08:41 PM
What a steal for the Texans. = ]

eriadoc
04-27-2008, 08:45 PM
I noticed that too. Most reports say he is very fluid, but Mel doesn't share this opinion I guess. I like the pick and I like the direction this draft is heading.

If Mel doesn't rate the guy highly, then I love the pick.

I love the pick anyway, but Kiper's opinion just makes it even better :)

stingray
04-27-2008, 08:45 PM
If Mel doesn't rate the guy highly, then I love the pick.

I love the pick anyway, but Kiper's opinion just makes it even better :)

But Mel likes Duane Brown...

ATXtexanfan
04-27-2008, 09:53 PM
But Mel likes Duane Brown...

if mel was so good than why isn't he a GM, ( I'm not saying, I'm just saying) REP to whoever

thunderkyss
04-27-2008, 10:24 PM
Let me get this straight.

Some of us think he'll challenge Morlon for a spot??

Some of us want him to cover Dallas Clark??

doesn't Dallas Clark play tightend/slot reciever??

Being the tightend, doesn't that make whatever side he plays on the "strong-side"??

If this guy is going to cover the tightend, wouldn't that make him the SAM??

Isn't that our weakest LB at the moment??

I Mean 'Meco is a lock at Mike, Morlon has been a lock at Will, and we've had a revolving door at Sam.

& If Adibi(is it ixavier, or javier??) is going to play Will, does he really need to bulk up?? and what blockers would he be worried about.

This kid looks like a small SAM to me. put him behind Mario on the strong side, and Dallas Clark will have to stay in. Period.

Mario Amobi Okam whatever
Adibi 'Meco GreenWood
Bennett Earl Dunta

CC Brown

I'm loving it.

stingray
04-27-2008, 10:39 PM
if mel was so good than why isn't he a GM, ( I'm not saying, I'm just saying) REP to whoever

He makes more money now than he would ever make as a GM..

Htownsportsfan
04-28-2008, 11:53 AM
I really ebjoyed Kubiaks reaction to the Adibi pick last night on Texans inside the game. He was gidding talking about how much Adibi likes to paly the game and how hard he plays it. Says he is what Holland calls a "thumper"! It should be fun to watch what Kubiak and Co. does with Ryans, Diles, Adibi, Thompson, Bentley and Greenwood.

TexansFanatic
04-28-2008, 12:41 PM
Solid, aggressive & speedy all good traits of a LB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rAoZYmkHnA&feature=related

Man, I am PUMPED about this cat. The Texans are going to be fun to watch this year. There are playmakers all over the field on BOTH sides of the ball now.