PDA

View Full Version : Steve Slaton is a Texan!!

Yankee_In_TX
04-27-2008, 10:14 AM
Pick No. 89, Round 3.

We have a "sexy" pick, yay!!!

Better yet, we have a young RB with potential. Now we just have to wait and see.

(please merge threads)

kastofsna
nice one.

TEXANS84
Awesome. I'm cool with that.

Hardcore Texan
04-27-2008, 10:15 AM
I like it! I really like the way this draft is shaping up.

TexanSam
Awesome. I like the pick!

RTP2110
Speed, speed, & more speed. I like the pick, let's see what happens. This is our payoff for moving down.

TexansLucky13
All Hail the Smithiak!

Showtime100
04-27-2008, 10:16 AM
Just turned on the tube and it was the first thing I saw. Not bad....really not bad!

Ryan
NICE!

I think if he can bulk up a little bit he could turn into a very productive back for us. He's got alot of ability.

Yankee_In_TX
So, the FO did what the fans said :)

OL, CB, and RB (not necessarily in that order).

Bubbajwp
I think I just poked a hole in my ceiling.

Yankee_In_TX

With WHAT?

camron1269
nice.
there were a few guys id rather have... adibi, king, cliff avril, marcus harrison, dre moore
as far as RB go i thought slaton and choice were about even. i guess the coaching staff knows who fits our style best.
lets hope one of the 5 guys i mentioned are there in the 4th

Mr. White
04-27-2008, 10:17 AM
I'm jacked about this pick.

Ideal back for the WCO.

Showtime100

I won't dare ask what that means, but I take it you like the pick...lol.

J-Russ
Strengths:
Excellent speed and quickness with a burst...Great agility, balance and change of direction...Can get outside and turn the corner...Nice vision and instincts...Elusive and very dangerous in the open field..Has very good hands and can be a weapon out of the backfield...A big play threat...Offers value as a return man....Productive.

Weaknesses:
Doesn't have the size or bulk that you look for...Lacks strength and power...Does not break a lot of tackles...Not much of an inside runner...Marginal blocker...Is not real physical...Very little return experience...Played in a spread offense...May have some minor durability concerns...He might be limited to a situation role in the NFL.

Notes:
Is also being looked at as a wide receiver prospect by some..Shared the spotlight with Pat White and was beginning to lose carries to true freshman Noel Devine in 2007...Didn't have a great junior campaign and saw his stock drop...Will never be a pro workhorse but could carve a niche for himself and excel as a 3rd down back.

wtf!

With that said, he seems like a big play-maker. I don't know what else to said.

Hutch13
04-27-2008, 10:18 AM
Awesome. I like the pick. Welcome to Houston, Slaton!

The1ApplePie
Holy crap! A player I actually wanted drafted by the Texans?

Steal of the draft baby

Yankee_In_TX
So is he 100% now? And if we use him as a scat back, who will be our every down? (lol, maybe the answer is whoever can stay healthy the longest?)

alphajoker
04-27-2008, 10:19 AM
Hell yeah! Waking up and seeing this pick makes the hangover just a little bit more tolerable. :drunk:

Mr PC
04-27-2008, 10:19 AM
great pick. We needed a RB with speed. Slaton is a perfect fit for the zone blocking sceme.

TexanSam
04-27-2008, 10:20 AM

Is that good?

Texanballer
04-27-2008, 10:21 AM
I love this pick. I think a steal as well. Now we got him to work on as a project. Duane Brown should help make holes for this guy .

patbone21
I like this pick.

Brando
This is the pick that we recieved from the Ravens as part of the trade down right?

I love this pick!

Yankee_In_TX
04-27-2008, 10:23 AM
I love this pick. I think a steal as well. Now we got him to work on as a project. Duane Brown should help make holes for this guy .

Hell, Bubba already started, apparently.

The Pencil Neck
With WHAT?

Don't ask questions when you don't want to hear the answer.

The1ApplePie
Owen Schmitt in the 5th?

Great pair in college with Slaton and gives the Texans an athletic and very angry FB

TheRealJoker
04-27-2008, 10:24 AM
I think we'll use him in a role similar to Reggie Bush, but at fair market value :)

We've finally got a RB that is a homerun threat. Texans fans rejoice our offense just got a little more dangerous!!!

TexanSam
04-27-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm interested to see what Smith and Kubiak think about Slaton. Obviously they like him since they drafted him, but I want to know if they potentially see him being an every down back in the future. Either way, the guy is a home run hitter as it is right now and should be a great fit! Welcome Steve Slaton!

The1ApplePie
04-27-2008, 10:26 AM
I'm interested to see what Smith and Kubiak think about Slaton. Obviously they like him since they drafted him, but I want to know if they potentially see him being an every down back in the future. Either way, the guy is a home run hitter as it is right now and should be a great fit! Welcome Steve Slaton!

He compares most to Clinton Portis. Portis was "too small to carry the load" too

Showtime100
04-27-2008, 10:27 AM
I haven't posted much on the draft but I've been watching just the same and I gotta say I'm coming around to trusting the FO. I was shown the light when you-know-who left and I'll give the props when I see them.

Nice jobs so far. (I'm a baseball guy getting giddy about the Texans in April!)

kastofsna
04-27-2008, 10:28 AM
He compares most to Clinton Portis. Portis was "too small to carry the load" too
the difference is that Portis actually did carry the load in a pro-style offense at Miami.

TEXANS84
04-27-2008, 10:33 AM
LOL, Shanahan just called Reggie Bush a 3rd down back in the press conference.

TyrantTexan
04-27-2008, 10:35 AM
We could use him like a Wes Welker in my mind!! With breakaway speed running rails in AJ and JJ, we could dump it to him out of the backfield or have him run a comeback route out of the slot.... This makes me poke holes in my ceiling too!!

Fox
04-27-2008, 10:35 AM
lol, according to the Texans website, he'll not only be a RB, he'll also be our offensive coordinator! What a deal...

Apr 27, 2008 - Tune in right now for live streaming video of defensive coordinator Richard Smith's and offensive coordinator Steve Slaton's press conference to discuss the team's third-round selections.

TexanSam
04-27-2008, 10:36 AM
the difference is that Portis actually did carry the load in a pro-style offense at Miami.

The most amount of carries Portis had at Miami was 220. Steve Slaton had 205 as a freshman, 248 as a sophomore and 211 as a junior. Not a huge difference

threetoedpete

Camp fodder. Another Gibbs pick. Beerlover guy. Hated it. Tell us why beerover ?

dalemurphy

Yeah, it was a great back-handed compliment, "Reggie Bush was the highest of the third down back type guys I've seen drafted".. or something like that... then he says, "usually those guys start going in the third round".

Porky
04-27-2008, 10:39 AM
Love the pick. He was one of about a half dozen guys that I was hoping to see at that pick. Mike Hart was high on my list too at RB.

I see him as a poor man's Reggie Bush. I doubt he is ever a 3 down back, but you will see him a LOT on 3rd downs. They need to get him out in space, split him wide and use him as an extra WR, and he can figure in the return game as well. He adds speed, quickness and home run ability at RB.

A- pick.

I wonder who the odd man out is?

TheRealJoker
04-27-2008, 10:40 AM
Love the pick. He was one of about a half dozen guys that I was hoping to see at that pick. Mike Hart was high on my list too at RB.

I see him as a poor man's Reggie Bush. I doubt he is ever a 3 down back, but you will see him a LOT on 3rd downs. They need to get him out in space, split him wide and use him as an extra WR, and he can figure in the return game as well. He adds speed, quickness and home run ability at RB.

A- pick.

Sadly I think its Darius Walker. Slaton does everything Walker does but has speed.

TexansLucky13
04-27-2008, 10:40 AM

A- pick.

Lets hope he isn't anything like Reggie Bush.

Fox
04-27-2008, 10:41 AM
I think this spells the end for Darius, just my first instincts.

J-Russ
04-27-2008, 10:42 AM
We need to beef him up some. Right now he's 197, I hope we can get him to 215, but still keeping his 4.4 speed.

threetoedpete
04-27-2008, 10:42 AM

A- pick.

Walker -Anderson or both. with any luck he shreads his knee steping to the podium for his photo op.

J-Russ
04-27-2008, 10:43 AM
I think this spells the end for Darius, just my first instincts.

Ahman Green will be gone before Walker IMO.

GP
Owen Schmitt in the 5th?

Great pair in college with Slaton and gives the Texans an athletic and very angry FB

I think your idea would work wonders: Two guys who know each other well.

I sorta' flirted with this idea when I read the ESPNmagazine article. It seems Schmitt and Slaton do well as a pair.

That would be awesome, and it would help add depth in case Leach gets hurt.

Ahman Green will be gone before Walker IMO.

i can't quite agree with you. walker is the odd man out here.

Porky
04-27-2008, 10:45 AM

Sorry to disapoint you then. That's exactly the type of player he is. A speed guy who can get the edge, can catch and make big plays out of the backfield, a multi-talented versatile speed back. If you could have drafted Reggie Bush in the bottom half of rd 3, that's a complete steal. I have NO idea why anyone wouldn't be excited by the prospects of the speed dimension this guy can add to our offense. I'm pumped.

bah007
To me, Slaton projects to a poor man's Reggie Bush. Same type of player, but slower, less agile, & worse hands.

I hope I'm wrong about that analysis.

In any case, at least we got an exciting offensive player who can come in & change the pace of the game for us.

The1ApplePie
I think your idea would work wonders: Two guys who know each other well.

I sorta' flirted with this idea when I read the ESPNmagazine article. It seems Schmitt and Slaton do well as a pair.

That would be awesome, and it would help add depth in case Leach gets hurt.

After I saw Schmitt's crazy bench and squat numbers and the fact that he has broken over 20 helmets in his college career I wanted the guy

GP
04-27-2008, 10:49 AM
Sadly I think its Darius Walker. Slaton does everything Walker does but has speed.

But Slaton lost a lot of passion/drive/killer-instinct (IMO) this past season.

I want to be thrilled about this pick, but I am very suspiscious of how it plays out. I think Slaton needs a lot of confidence in himself, and is Kubiak the type of coach who does this? The clips I have seen of Kubiak talking to the guys after workouts seem to be a little praise sprinkled in with a LOT of criticism. He chewed Chris Taylor o-u-t with the cameras rolling one time, for not holding onto the ball.

I don't think Darius Walker is the casualty. I think it's Ahman Green and/or Chris Brown, with Chris Taylor being a slight chance due to injury and/or fumbilitis.

Still, Steve Slaton was the least of the RBs I was excited about during the time leading up to the draft. Maybe he makes the jump up to big-boy ball.

I hope so. Gibbs and a better o-line might do the trick.

TexansLucky13
04-27-2008, 10:50 AM
Sorry to disapoint you then. That's exactly the type of player he is. A speed guy who can get the edge, can catch and make big plays out of the backfield, a multi-talented versatile speed back. If you could have drafted Reggie Bush in the bottom half of rd 3, that's a complete steal. I have NO idea why anyone wouldn't be excited by the prospects of the speed dimension this guy can add to our offense. I'm pumped.

My point is, let's hope that he doesn't disappoint like Reggie has. It's quite obvious that they share similar roles.

V Man
04-27-2008, 10:54 AM
I am happy about the pick, but Slaton still has issues. (numbers down, small, benched in bowl game).

What I find interesting is to me he is just like the other two picks (has questions), but everyone here is going out the roof about him, is it cause he has a name to him?

Trail.Blazr
04-27-2008, 10:55 AM

I was thinking he's like Willie Parker.

The1ApplePie
04-27-2008, 10:57 AM
My point is, let's hope that he doesn't disappoint like Reggie has. It's quite obvious that they share similar roles.

Yeah because a year like Reggie had as a rookie would suck:sarcasm:

beerlover
04-27-2008, 10:58 AM
the Texans are making the commitment to the run, Gibbs trademark, Smith & Kubiak are just providing the neccessary tools :)

TheRealJoker
04-27-2008, 11:00 AM
If Slaton would've ran like Chris Johnson then he would've been the Tacks pick imo.

TexansLucky13
04-27-2008, 11:00 AM
Yeah because a year like Reggie had as a rookie would suck:sarcasm:

I would rather he gradually improve than digress like Reggie has.

GP
04-27-2008, 11:03 AM
I am happy about the pick, but Slaton still has issues. (numbers down, small, benched in bowl game).

What I find interesting is to me he is just like the other two picks (has questions), but everyone here is going out the roof about him, is it cause he has a name to him?

I wonder if Noel Devine and the hype that followed him is something that made Steve Slaton just sort of "disappear."

What else could it be? The guy was on top of the world before this season.

If Steve Slaton has to "be the guy" to perform well, I don't think he's going to do well in Kubiak's system. Kubiak is not someone who sticks with a guy. He praised Wali Lundy over and over and over, naming him the starter from the beginning...and I think Kubiak learned a lesson there because he's been stoic and unrevealing about the starting RB since then.

Our RB stable is very very crowded right now. And I wouldn't put it past Kubiak to carry four RBs on the roster the whole year, based on some of Kubiak's commenst recently.

Maddict5
04-27-2008, 11:04 AM
watching on nfl.com and they have random tidbits on the sidebar.

Slaton A Sleeper
11:30 AM ET
NFL.com - Frank Tadych
We've been talking about Steve Slaton since the Texans took him at No. 89. Thomas George thinks he's completely legit. I would agree. Slaton has been labeled as a one-dimensional player, but he is excellent at that one dimension. A great coaching staff should be able to take a player and put him in positions where it knows he can succeed. I have to belive the Texans will find a way to use Slaton to let him do what he does best. The Slaton pick could end up really helping the Texans.

Rex King
04-27-2008, 11:05 AM

Same feeling. I think the name is part of it, but he's also more of a home run threat than any of our other backs and could potentially open up our offense more. I don't think it really matters that he's not going to be an every-down back. Just about every team is going to a two-back system, and I think he'd compliment Brown or Taylor well. What I found interesting about the pick is that he's a guy whose weaknesses include dancing too much in the backfield, fumbling, and not blocking well, three things that has kept other guys off the field in Kubiak's tenure.

GP
04-27-2008, 11:06 AM
the Texans are making the commitment to the run, Gibbs trademark, Smith & Kubiak are just providing the neccessary tools :)

Yeah, this is a HUGE statement of what Kubiak thinks of Gibbs.

Gibbs is stylin' and profilin'.

Brando
04-27-2008, 11:09 AM
A little tidbit that was in the draft expert chat section on nfl.com (http://www.nfl.com/draft/live)

Slaton A Sleeper
NFL.com - Frank Tadych
We've been talking about Steve Slaton since the Texans took him at No. 89. Thomas George thinks he's completely legit. I would agree. Slaton has been labeled as a one-dimensional player, but he is excellent at that one dimension. A great coaching staff should be able to take a player and put him in positions where it knows he can succeed. I have to believe the Texans will find a way to use Slaton to let him do what he does best. The Slaton pick could end up really helping the Texans.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w213/bermo555/slaton_steve.jpg

Nawzer
04-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Just turned on the computer to check who we drafted and I like both of our 3rd picks. Slaton doesn't need to become a starter to be effective. He's a homerun threat for us and that's what we needed from our backs. I would love to see a Chris Taylor & Steve Slaton tandem this coming season. I think Darius Walker is the odd man out.

Vinny
04-27-2008, 11:17 AM
a Chris Brown type selection with a bit more speed and quickness...good back to have in for screens and passing situations (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrm0idTUAq8). Gibbs remembers how many big plays Jerious Norwood had.

Mike Kerns
04-27-2008, 11:20 AM
I just watched his Youtube highlights and he looks pretty sharp. Fast as hell, too! I like the pick.

WesmanTexanfan
04-27-2008, 11:28 AM
can he run between the tackles bettter han reggie?

SheTexan
04-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Our Texans sure seem to have a LOVE relationship with Virginia colleges.

MS.........Virginia
A. Davis..V-Tech
Frye.......V-Tech
D. Brown.V-Tech
Slaton....W. Virg

TexansLucky13
04-27-2008, 11:29 AM

MS.........Virginia
A. Davis..V-Tech
Frye.......V-Tech
D. Brown.V-Tech
Slaton....W. Virg

East Coast > West Coast

I wish they would draft more SEC, though.

CloakNNNdagger
04-27-2008, 11:29 AM
Same feeling. I think the name is part of it, but he's also more of a home run threat than any of our other backs and could potentially open up our offense more. I don't think it really matters that he's not going to be an every-down back. Just about every team is going to a two-back system, and I think he'd compliment Brown or Taylor well. What I found interesting about the pick is that he's a guy whose weaknesses include dancing too much in the backfield, fumbling, and not blocking well, three things that has kept other guys off the field in Kubiak's tenure.

And the consistent knock on both of our last picks are they are no Mensa candidates and have both had significant difficulties in the classroom as well as with their playbooks. I hope that "sleeper" status does not apply their learning abilities.

Vinny
04-27-2008, 11:34 AM
can he run between the tackles bettter han reggie?similar prospect along the lines of Gibbs last smallish rookie rb Jerious Norwood (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs9HH3wywkc).

camron1269
04-27-2008, 11:35 AM
he can be our ahmad bradshaw except even better with more talent

Bubbajwp
04-27-2008, 11:38 AM
Yes the whole in my ceiling is a good thing. It came from me jumping out of my seat.

NitroGSXR
similar prospect along the lines of Gibbs last smallish rookie rb Jerious Norwood (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs9HH3wywkc).
Norwood loves to stiffarm though. Not something that I've seen out of Slaton thus far and I did watch him tons in college. I had him on my NCAA fantasy team. Besides he was a real joy to watch as well as Devine.

What I'd like is more information on as to why and how he got benched in that bowl game. I didn't see it.

Kaiser Toro

Awesome, I will have to check that out.

gtexan02
04-27-2008, 11:41 AM
I work at the University of Virginia, so I've gotten to see all these guys a lot recently. IM pretty pumped. Maybe we'll finally get some Texans games broadcast out here

gtexan02
04-27-2008, 11:44 AM
Anyone have a highlight video link for this kid?

Yankee_In_TX
04-27-2008, 11:47 AM

MS.........Virginia
A. Davis..V-Tech
Frye.......V-Tech
D. Brown.V-Tech
Slaton....W. Virg

Add one more V Tech, WTH?

Yankee_In_TX
04-27-2008, 12:03 PM
Hmmm, ESPN (they love us):

Slaton is undersized and he goes down far too easily. In addition, he has struggled to stay healthy during his career. However, he's quick enough to turn the corner and show good elusiveness in the open field.

Texanballer
04-27-2008, 12:19 PM
2 52 yd runs vs Georgia

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XwEEGmX4IwU

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Xx3VzMMU3g&feature=related

TheRealJoker
04-27-2008, 12:21 PM
Norwood loves to stiffarm though. Not something that I've seen out of Slaton thus far and I did watch him tons in college. I had him on my NCAA fantasy team. Besides he was a real joy to watch as well as Devine.

What I'd like is more information on as to why and how he got benched in that bowl game. I didn't see it.

If I remember correctly he got injured, came back out for a play then went back to the bench and didn't return.

Hagar
04-27-2008, 12:58 PM
2 52 yd runs vs Georgia

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XwEEGmX4IwU

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Xx3VzMMU3g&feature=relatedDamn, looks like a little lighting goin on here. Good pick! :doot:

leebigeztx
04-27-2008, 01:14 PM
the old denever teams used to have about 5 rbs on the depth chart. slaton is cool, but he's a little smallish. he might be on special teams more than anythng. I think the brown/green/taylor combo is going to hold up. Walker and slaton will be pecial teams. the one that doesnt will be pactice squad.

The Pencil Neck
04-27-2008, 01:27 PM
the old denever teams used to have about 5 rbs on the depth chart. slaton is cool, but he's a little smallish. he might be on special teams more than anythng. I think the brown/green/taylor combo is going to hold up. Walker and slaton will be pecial teams. the one that doesnt will be pactice squad.

Last year, we were lacking speed from the RB. We had to put KW in occasionally to run because we needed speed. NOW we've got some speed back there.

YoungTexanFan
04-27-2008, 01:35 PM
People are looking at the Slaton pick in the wrong way. Slaton will never be a feature back. Never. Don't expect that. What we should be expecting is Slaton to be the speed back in our stable. We will continue to use multiple RB's, just as we have - RB by committee. Slaton will be a nice addition to that stable. We should not expect Slaton to bulk up too much, as I would not expect him to every top 210. He is a pure cut and speed guy. He doesn't dance as much as his frame would indicate. I think the Noorwood comparison was very good. He will be a system RB and part of a committee, which is exactly what he needs to be a contributer.

swtbound07
04-27-2008, 01:36 PM
i screamed with joy at this pick. I was praying for it. Calling for it. Sooooooooooooooooo hyped for it. Awesome job. I love it!

GuerillaBlack
04-27-2008, 01:51 PM
I like the pick.

Smash_Mouth_Mario
04-27-2008, 02:19 PM

Yep. He's a open-field player. Not a 20 carry back like Green (or used to be) ;). But gives us that explosiveness in the open field we've never had.

Slaton in the open field: BYE-BYE! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1p8OKhLE2I)

:D

Smash_Mouth_Mario
04-27-2008, 02:21 PM
We should not expect Slaton to bulk up too much, as I would not expect him to every top 210.

Yeah, would be worried if he bulked up too much. He's 195lbs now. If he got too big he'd loss much of that speed. Maybe 205lbs would be a good weight.

TexansFanatic
04-27-2008, 02:24 PM

A- pick.

You nailed it. This kid is our Reggie Bush. He's not an every down guy, he's the change of pace guy who can break long runs on a tired defense late in the game. I love it.

GuerillaBlack
04-27-2008, 02:55 PM
I would like to see him at 205 lbs to 210 lbs (from is 185 lbs now).

Spled
04-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Maybe he can be part return man too, like Eric Metcalf.

TheRealJoker
04-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Best case scenario = Westbrook.

YoungTexanFan
04-27-2008, 02:59 PM
I would like to see him at 205 lbs to 210 lbs (from is 185 lbs now).

He is 197 now. I would like to see him play around 205 with added strength.

Spled
04-27-2008, 03:04 PM
Bush is a good player. He just needs a Lendale or a Deuce to carry the load for him.

GP
04-27-2008, 03:06 PM
??? You used "Reggie Bush" and "guy who can break long runs" in the same paragraph ??? I hope Slaton is the guy who can break long runs, not "our Reggie Bush". A "Reggie Bush" in the third round would be a wasted pick...

He'll be breaking long runs to McDonald's for Frank Okam.

Sorry...had to bust out on our two draft picks for a second there.

04-27-2008, 03:12 PM

dude, walker is not gonna make this team. book it.

Smash_Mouth_Mario
04-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Best case scenario = Westbrook.

Excellent comparison: 5'10", 203lbs. -> Westbrook Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MXydcgz4DU)

Slaton seems a bit faster, though. :) While Westbrook looks a bit stronger. Both have open field vision and cuts.

Ryan
04-27-2008, 03:23 PM
Yep. He's a open-field player. Not a 20 carry back like Green (or used to be) ;). But gives us that explosiveness in the open field we've never had.

Stanton in the open field

:D

Slanton seems a bit faster, though.

wow two different times you spelled his name wrong and in two different ways.

Sorry the misspelling of player's names bugs the crap out of me.

adam
04-27-2008, 03:27 PM
In my honest opinion, this is perhaps one of the biggest steals of the draft. After injury and slow down in his senior year, a lot of people seemed to forget how dominant Slaton could be. He has a tremendous amount of potential and, provided he stays healthy, will provide the team with a new sort of element (a speedy running back).

Smash_Mouth_Mario
04-27-2008, 03:37 PM
wow two different times you spelled his name wrong and in two different ways.

Sorry the misspelling of player's names bugs the crap out of me.

Fixed.

He's new. I'll learn.

Smash_Mouth_Mario
04-27-2008, 03:47 PM
To me, Slaton projects to a poor man's Reggie Bush. Same type of player, but slower, less agile, & worse hands.

In any case, at least we got an exciting offensive player who can come in & change the pace of the game for us.

I can see it now.

In other forums, fans will take what we say here out of context. "Get this guys! Those Texans fans are saying that Slaton is the next Reggie Bush! What idiots!"

I would think that this would be for two reasons: One, other fans still thinking that Bush is the "Jordan of the NFL," but just haven't been keeping up on his recent stats. And two, that Slaton is not as good (flashy) an open-field runner.

It would be nice having a dose of reality and we'll end up meeting up somewhere in the middle.

:texflag:

TexansLucky13
04-27-2008, 03:50 PM
It would be nice having a dose of reality and we'll end up meeting up somewhere in the middle.

This is what happened last time Saint Reginald attempted to mess with the Texans.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/reuben_frank/12/05/texans/T1_1206_williams.jpg

He got a big hug!

:tease:

Texaninlild
04-27-2008, 04:15 PM
Does the addition of Slaton have first round haters feeling better? We would not have had this pick if not for the trade down.

Albert vs Brown/Slaton
or
Jenkins vs Brown/Slaton
or
Whatever you draft experts thought vs Brown/Slaton

The Pencil Neck
04-27-2008, 04:16 PM
Does the addition of Slaton have first round haters feeling better? We would not have had this pick if not for the trade down.

Albert vs Brown/Slaton
or
Jenkins vs Brown/Slaton
or

Don't forget Barber. He's part of that trade, too.

TheRealJoker
04-27-2008, 04:21 PM

Albert vs Brown/Slaton
or
Jenkins vs Brown/Slaton
or

Albert was taken at 15. I think most people thought it would be Mendenhall/Jenkins/Otah at 18 even though Otah doesn't fit the scheme.

triplethreat
04-27-2008, 05:35 PM
Just tuned in to Espn to see what they were saying about Highsmith not being drafted yet and the Blonde analysist, that was sitting with Michael Smith and Tony Realli picked Steve Slaton for the rookie that will make the most impact this season, looks like a good pick

TexansFanatic
04-27-2008, 05:35 PM
??? You used "Reggie Bush" and "guy who can break long runs" in the same paragraph ??? I hope Slaton is the guy who can break long runs, not "our Reggie Bush". A "Reggie Bush" in the third round would be a wasted pick...

I just looked up Reggie's stats for his NFL career. I might have missed something, but it looks like his longest rushing carry in two seasons is 32 yards. OUCH! Yeah, I bet Slaton breaks a longer one his rookie year....

WesmanTexanfan
04-27-2008, 05:41 PM
I like Slaton, he is fast, agile and runs it north and south. He should fit in nicely with our blocking...

rickyb
04-27-2008, 05:43 PM
nice.
there were a few guys id rather have... adibi, king, cliff avril, marcus harrison, dre moore
as far as RB go i thought slaton and choice were about even. i guess the coaching staff knows who fits our style best.
lets hope one of the 5 guys i mentioned are there in the 4th

guess you were stoked round about the 4th. xavier adibi.

Texans Horror
04-27-2008, 05:55 PM

Albert vs Brown/Slaton
or
Jenkins vs Brown/Slaton
or

Great point. The trade down looks pretty good when you think that the total package got the Texans a zone-blocking tackle, a pretty good running back, and a safety. Solid draft by the Texans.

Smash_Mouth_Mario
04-27-2008, 06:09 PM
I just looked up Reggie's stats for his NFL career. I might have missed something, but it looks like his longest rushing carry in two seasons is 32 yards. OUCH! Yeah, I bet Slaton breaks a longer one his rookie year....

Yeah, I could see that happening. Slaton is more a one cut, north south guy. Bush is more east west (juke), then north south. Works in NCAA. But not the NFL.

Wolf
04-28-2008, 08:40 PM
Awesome, I will have to check that out.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA042808.08D.FBNtexans.draft.38d364d.html

HOUSTON — The Houston Texans thought Reggie Bush likely was a third-down back in the NFL and passed on him with their top overall pick two years ago to get defensive end Mario Williams.

On Sunday, Houston got its third-down back in Steve Slaton and only had to use a third-round pick to get the West Virginia talent. The Texans chose Slaton with the 89th pick in the draft, which they acquired from Baltimore in a trade Saturday.

“I think he's got a chance to be a special-type player,” said Houston offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan. “You look at guys around the league like Kevin Faulk, a guy like Reggie Bush, guys who come in and fill a specific role on third downs. If you look at the top offenses in the league, they all have a player like that. I think this guy fits that role for us.”

Slaton amassed 3,923 yards rushing and a school-record 50 rushing touchdowns in three seasons with the Mountaineers. He ran for 1,051 yards and 17 touchdowns and had 350 yards receiving with one score last season.

The 5-foot-9, 197-pound Slaton shies away from comparisons to Bush or Faulk.

“Hopefully I can get my foot in the door (and) I can make my own comparisons and just be Steve Slaton,” he said on a conference call.

The Texans have their starter in 31-year-old Ahman Green, who says he's healthy after missing 10 games and finishing with 260 yards rushing in his first year in Houston. Houston didn't re-sign Ron Dayne this offseason, instead picking up free agent Chris Brown from Tennessee.

WesmanTexanfan
04-28-2008, 08:44 PM
I can see it now. You see Brown making a block, shoving some unlucky DE down the field, then out of nowhere A 4 foot blur with the ball scurries to the sideline and to the House.

Smash_Mouth_Mario
04-28-2008, 09:17 PM
I can see it now. You see Brown making a block, shoving some unlucky DE down the field, then out of nowhere A 4 foot blur with the ball scurries to the sideline and to the House.

That's the plan. But we have to make sure we shore up our O-LINE to make some holes.

The1ApplePie
04-28-2008, 09:38 PM
I think Slaton might take the Portis route and become a heavy carry guy after all.

The Pencil Neck
04-28-2008, 09:57 PM
I think Slaton might take the Portis route and become a heavy carry guy after all.

Yeah, but, let's not jinx it by talking about it. MMmmmkay?

J-Russ
04-28-2008, 10:19 PM

Just founded out that Warrick Dunn used to start in a Gibbs-coached line, and his size is the exact same as Slaton.

http://www.nfl.com/players/warrickdunn/profile?id=DUN705495

Both 5'10, 185. Maybe Steve can be the next Warrick, who knows.

http://www.emqb.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/warrick-dunn.jpg
http://www.heismaneers.com/images/slatonrt.jpg

Smash_Mouth_Mario
04-28-2008, 10:25 PM

Why do you think that? Did Portis bulk up? Portis was 5'11" and around 220lbs. That's more like Laurence Maroney from the Pats. An every down back.

Bubbajwp
04-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Why do you think that? Did Portis bulk up? Portis was 5'11" and around 220lbs. That's more like Laurence Maroney from the Pats. An every down back.

He still fell slightly in the draft because of his size.

Smash_Mouth_Mario
04-28-2008, 10:29 PM
He still fell slightly in the draft because of his size.

He being Porits?

Strange. That's a prototypical size for a back (five ten, five eleven and over 210). That's not smallish. He must have fell for other reasons. I'd understand if he was 5"9" and under 200lb. But not his draft size.

If that was the case, then take a look at this...

Rashard Mendenhall (RB (http://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker#tab:dt-by-position%7Cpos-rb))
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 210

He didn't fall because of his size (or lack thereof). It was for team needs.

Bubbajwp
04-28-2008, 10:39 PM
He being Porits?

Strange. That's a prototypical size for a back (five ten, five eleven and over 210). That's not smallish. He must have fell for other reasons. I'd understand if he was 5"9" and under 200lb. But not his draft size.

If that was the case, then take a look at this...

Rashard Mendenhall (RB (http://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker#tab:dt-by-position%7Cpos-rb))
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 210

He didn't fall because of his size (or lack thereof). It was for team needs.

I could be wrong but I think he was right around 200 when drafted and yes I was talking about portis.

bah007
04-28-2008, 10:58 PM
...Both 5'10, 185. Maybe Steve can be the next Warrick, who knows.

I hope he can, but he will have to get in the weight room. I don't mean to gain weight, I mean to get stronger.

Dunn had the kind of power in his legs that Slaton doesn't even dream of yet.

His leg drive was incredible for a little guy.

GuerillaBlack
04-28-2008, 11:21 PM

Portis did bulk up. He has been in the league for a few years now.

Htownsportsfan
04-28-2008, 11:39 PM

Who are you talking about has a fumbling problem? Not Slaton? The man has hardly fumbled in four years accordong to ESPN.

According to the Texans site he lost three fumbles in 211 carries in 2007 ! He had a wrist injury in 2006 and was forced to carry the ball in his left hand which led the three fumbles as well.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=174468

edo783
04-28-2008, 11:43 PM
[/b]

Who are you talking about has a fumbling problem? It sure as hell is not Slaton. The man has hardly fumbled in four years accordong to ESPN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=174468

I suspect that he has him confused with Jamal Charles who does have a fumbling problem.

edo783
04-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Just founded out that Warrick Dunn used to start in a Gibbs-coached line, and his size is the exact same as Slaton.

I could live with him turning out as good a Dunn. In fact, that would probably call for the "Happy dance" :specnatz:

atxlaurie
04-28-2008, 11:52 PM
I'm super stoked! I watched West Virginia every time they were on and kept track of Slaton thru-out his college days. He's been a fav of mine for awhile. YEA!!!

triplethreat
04-29-2008, 05:38 AM
Hopefully he pans out and does play like Warrick Dunn played, but I don't see him an all down back/starter this season

Bubbajwp
04-29-2008, 08:45 AM

Look at their legs. Looks like Dunn has alot more lower body strength.

TEXANS84
04-29-2008, 08:59 AM
Way to go TC!!!

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/28/texans-take-a-swipe-at-reggie/

J-Russ
04-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Look at their legs. Looks like Dunn has alot more lower body strength.

Yea, but you have to remember, this was about 5+ years after Dunn been in the NFL. So he had a pretty good chunk of time to bulk up.

Bubbajwp
04-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Yea, but you have to remember, this was about 5+ years after Dunn been in the NFL. So he had a pretty good chunk of time to bulk up.

True

Lucky
04-29-2008, 11:36 AM
[/b]

Who are you talking about has a fumbling problem? Not Slaton? The man has hardly fumbled in four years accordong to ESPN.

Fumbles lost is not a statistic that the NCAA tracks, so the ESPN fumble stats are worthless. I'd trust the numbers the Texans came up with.

threetoedpete
04-29-2008, 11:58 AM
I keep hearing a whisper from football ghosts of days past, Lawerance Phillips. I hope it works out. I hope shanahand is correct & I'm dead wrong.

Sooner or later, Jeff Fisher willl send six and Steve Slaton will have to pick it up. Something no one knows he can do BTW, not even Shanny. Got five months to coach the lad up.

Smash_Mouth_Mario
04-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Way to go TC!!!

Wow! That was a good read. And so are the comments section...

Smash_Mouth_Mario
04-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Best post from the comments:

Hatch wrote:
"Reggie Bush is 10 pounds and a few film sessions short of being an every down back. Guys like LT, Westbrook, and Warrick Dunn are small backs that make highly effective inside runners. However, they are decisive and quick to the hole. They also doing a job of avoiding big hits. Reggie unfortunately tries to juke and dance too much. He ends up missing holes and getting clocked while still upright as a result.

The biggest surprise to me has been how (relatively) ineffective he is as a kick/punt returner."

He's dead RIGHT! The reason is two fold. Guys like LT, Westbrook, Dunn and Slaton are 5'10" or less (LOW CENTER OF GRAVITY!). And two, they SHOOT for the hole (North/South runners). They don't waste energy juking East/West. Bush on the other hand is 6'0". Has a build like a CB and jukes way too much. So, even if Bush gains weight he's not going to get a lower center a gravity anytime soon (saw legs?). The last 6ft+ RBs that I remember dominating were Bo Jackson, Larry Johnson, and Adrian Peterson. Both 6ft or taller. But Bo's, JLs and Peterson's legs are (were) monstrously powerful! Locomotives!

And Hatch is right about Bush's upright running style. He actually puts himself in position to be hammered in mid air juke.

Westbrook, Dunn and Slaton all are lower center of gravity runners. And they don't waste time. They hit the hole and they're gone!

Ole Miss Texan
04-29-2008, 05:50 PM
I can't wait to see how Slaton is effected by the workouts and conditioning in the NFL. I'd love to see him not only gain a little weight, but get those legs strong strong STRONG.

GuerillaBlack
04-29-2008, 05:54 PM
I like this one:

keepinitfresh said, "First off, one good season doesnt make N.O. a good team.
the Saints who have never won anything in 40+ years."

keepinitfresh:
get your facts straight, we have had more than 1 good season over the last 40 years. most of the Texans roster can’t even sniff the jocks of the Saint’s players. you all are a bush league team playing in the majors. you have been, are, and will forever be nothing more than a bunch of losers. i hope the rockets can bring some respect back to h-town ’cause the texans sure ain’t. Geaux Saint’s!!

Smash_Mouth_Mario
04-29-2008, 06:20 PM
I can't wait to see how Slaton is effected by the workouts and conditioning in the NFL. I'd love to see him not only gain a little weight, but get those legs strong strong STRONG.

I agree. Gain a little weight. Maybe 205ish...but don't gain too fast or it will hurt his speed (and maybe his hamstring).

We'll probably just treat him like our "Eric Metcalf" on those special 3rd down plays. And some returns.

Wolf
04-30-2008, 11:51 AM
I know this is wikipedia but ..impressive resume

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Slaton

Records

[edit] Game

* Most touchdowns scored in a single game by a WVU player - 6 (Oct. 15, 2005 vs. Louisville)
* Tied with Willis McGahee with the most touchdowns and points scored by a Big East player - 6 TDs, 36 Pts (Oct. 15, 2005 vs. Louisville)[27]
* Most rushing yards in a Sugar Bowl game - 204
* First Mountaineer to ever have 100 yards rushing (215) and 100 yards receiving (130) in the same game.
* Slaton and White became only the third tandem in NCAA D-I history to both rush for 200+ yards in the same game. - (Nov. 16, 2006 vs. Pittsburgh)
* Second most points scored in a single game by a WVU player - 36 (Oct. 15, 2005 vs. Louisville)

[edit] Season

* Most rushing yards in a season in WVU history - 1,744
* Most all purpose yards in a season in WVU history - 2,104
* Tied for most consecutive 100 yard rushing games in WVU history with six.
* Most rushing yards in Big East history by a true freshman (3rd most by any freshman) - 1,128 yards
* Ranks first (19) and third (18) for most touchdowns (rushing and receiving) in a season
* Ranks second in WVU history for most receiving yards by a running back - 360
* Ranks third for freshman rushing in WVU history - 1,128 yards
* Ranks third in WVU history for most receptions by a running back - 27
* Ranks forth (17) and sixth (16) for most rushing touchdowns in a season.
* Finished forth in rushing yards per game(134.15), second in all-purpose yards per game (161.85), thirds in rushing yards (1,744), ninth in yards per carry (7.0), eight in rushing touchdowns (16), and seventh in touchdowns scored (18) in the nation during the 2006 season.
* Ranks sixth in WVU history in rushing attempts in a season - 248
* Finished seventh in points scored (144), sixth in touchdowns scored (19), and sixth in rushing touchdowns (17) in the nation during the 2005 season.

[edit] Career

* Ranks first all-time in rushing touchdowns in WVU history - 48
* Ranks first all-time in total touchdowns in WVU history - 53
* Ranks first all-time in total points by a non-kicker in WVU history - 318
* Ranks second all-time in total 100-yard rushing games in WVU history - 21
* Ranks second all-time in all purpose yards in WVU history - 4,775
* Ranks second all-time in receiving yards by a running back in WVU history - 805
* Ranks second all-time in Big East history in total touchdowns - 53
* Ranks third all-time in rushing yards in WVU history - 3,923
* Ranks third all-time in rushing attempts in WVU history - 664
* Ranks third all-time in receptions by a running back in WVU history - 61
* Ranks third all-time in rushing yards in Big East history - 3,923
* Ranks third (tied) all-time in total 100-yard rushing games in Big East history - 21

[edit] Active Career Leader

at the end of his collegiate career

* Ranked first in most touchdowns in the nation - 50
* Ranked seventh in most career yards in the nation - 3,923
* Ranked seventh in most yards per game in the nation - 109
* Ranked eight in most yards per carry in the nation - 5.9
* Ranked tenth in most career carries in the nation - 664
* Ranked twelfth in most carries per game in the nation - 18.4

J-Russ
04-30-2008, 11:57 AM

Slaton had one of the most memorable games in WVU football history in the next game versus Louisville. After trailing 17-0 at Halftime, Slaton and the Mountaineers rallied from a 24-7 4th Quarter deficit to win the game 46-44 in 3 overtimes. After kicking an onside kick that led to the tying score, the Mountaineers headed into overtime with the Cardinals. Slaton finished the game with 188 yards on 31 carries and 5 rushing touchdowns.

As a true freshman. Impressive.

El Tejano
04-30-2008, 12:46 PM
We'll probably just treat him like our "Eric Metcalf" on those special 3rd down plays. And some returns.

Oh God, I hope and pray he can be even that good. Eric Metcalf was sick with the Browns. The perfect compliment to Kevin Mack.

El Tejano
04-30-2008, 12:48 PM

This list reminds me of the Chuck Norris list. Except Steve Slaton doesn't have a Chuck Norris list, because he told Chuck Norris not to make one.

Rex King
04-30-2008, 03:24 PM
I agree. Gain a little weight. Maybe 205ish...but don't gain too fast or it will hurt his speed (and maybe his hamstring).

Some analyst was saying he wasn't as explosive last year after gaining 10 lbs up to his current weight, but according to this article he was over 195 going into 2006:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06216/711054-144.stm

Texaninlild
01-11-2009, 09:42 AM

Albert vs Brown/Slaton
or
Jenkins vs Brown/Slaton
or

So now that we had a season to look at this, how do you feel about the draft and the trade down?

Honoring Earl 34
01-11-2009, 10:05 AM
So now that we had a season to look at this, how do you feel about the draft and the trade down?

I'd take Slaton head up over Jenkins and I'm not sure how good Albert was .

Vinny
01-11-2009, 10:33 AM
I keep hearing a whisper from football ghosts of days past, Lawerance Phillips. I hope it works out. I hope shanahand is correct & I'm dead wrong.

This has to be the best post in the thread. 3TP at his finest....comparing Slaton to a sociopath.

TEXANRED
01-11-2009, 10:42 AM
You really gotta love his weaknesses that were listed

Weaknesses:
Doesn't have the size or bulk that you look for...Lacks strength and power...Does not break a lot of tackles...Not much of an inside runner...Marginal blocker...Is not real physical...Very little return experience...Played in a spread offense...May have some minor durability concerns...He might be limited to a situation role in the NFL.

False Start
01-11-2009, 10:46 AM
You really gotta love his weaknesses that were listed

Wow, that's the post I was looking at. So much for those "weaknesses." :cool:

Vinny
01-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Wow, that's the post I was looking at. So much for those "weaknesses." :cool:don't put too much stock in the draftsperts. Most of them just chortle and spew redundant comments from each others sites as it is nearly impossible to watch 3 or 4 years of game footage for every prospect on the chart (as well as most people don't have a great eye for projecting and evaluating talent - just because you watch a lot of football doesn't mean you have a great scouts eye)....so, much of the draftsperts just parrot each other at the end of the day.

Lucky
01-11-2009, 10:54 AM
This has to be the best post in the thread. 3TP at his finest....comparing Slaton to a sociopath.
A fine post, to be sure. But, I've got to go with the 3TP post where pete hopes Slaton wrecks his knee.

...with any luck he shreads his knee steping to the podium for his photo op.

gtexan02
01-11-2009, 10:58 AM
A fine post, to be sure. But, I've got to go with the 3TP post where pete hopes Slaton wrecks his knee.

True class.

We are a messageboard right? Then I may as well point out how wonderful it is to wish someone injury while not even spelling a simple word like "Shred" correctly

swtbound07
01-11-2009, 11:08 AM

hee. hee.

bah007
01-11-2009, 11:13 AM
hee. hee.

I was half wrong.

I've been wrong before. Definitely not complaining about this one. Slaton blew my mind this year.

swtbound07
01-11-2009, 11:17 AM
I was half wrong.

I've been wrong before. Definitely not complaining about this one. Slaton blew my mind this year.

Wasn't a shot at you bah. I like your posts and stuff....it just makes me giggle about how GOOD slaton was.

TexansSeminole
01-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Wasn't a shot at you bah. I like your posts and stuff....it just makes me giggle about how GOOD slaton was.

Yea, that was certainly the concesus about Slaton coming out. Slaton impressed and surprised EVERYONE. Amazing what he did.

The guy that I think it going to shine in their second year out of this class is Adibi.

infantrycak
01-11-2009, 11:25 AM
People are looking at the Slaton pick in the wrong way. Slaton will never be a feature back. Never. Don't expect that.

Got to love the absolute certainty of a draftnik.

Good bet.

How about this for blown out of the water:

Bush in 3 seasons combined: 7 rushes over 20 yards, 1 over 40
Slaton: 15 rushes over 20 yards, 5 over 40

TEXANRED
01-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Yea, that was certainly the concesus about Slaton coming out. Slaton impressed and surprised EVERYONE. Amazing what he did.

The guy that I think it going to shine in their second year out of this class is Adibi.

You aint kiddin!

I was excited about professor X when we drafted him. Then he got ill. But when he eventually got to play he was the man.

Here is to a healthy Xavier Adibi and the future of the Texans!

beerlover
01-11-2009, 11:43 AM
don't put too much stock in the draftsperts. Most of them just chortle and spew redundant comments from each others sites as it is nearly impossible to watch 3 or 4 years of game footage for every prospect on the chart (as well as most people don't have a great eye for projecting and evaluating talent - just because you watch a lot of football doesn't mean you have a great scouts eye)....so, much of the draftsperts just parrot each other at the end of the day.

excluding me of course :thisbig:

think I passed out after getting the Molden pick right :drunk:

infantrycak
01-11-2009, 11:46 AM
excluding me of course :thisbig:

think I passed out after getting the Molden pick right :drunk:

You don't generally purport to have the absolute knowledge so endemic to most draftniks. It's refreshing.

TexansSeminole
01-11-2009, 11:59 AM
You don't generally purport to have the absolute knowledge so endemic to most draftniks. It's refreshing.

I tend to get better information in these forums than from the draftniks or "experts".

bah007
01-11-2009, 12:04 PM
I tend to get better information in these forums than from the draftniks or "experts".

That's because we don't have an audience to appease.

We can put our real thoughts out on the table and have discussions about players that those "experts" can't.

If I miss on a guy, who the hell cares?

If Kiper misses, he has to hear about it every day for a while probably. That is why those "experts" usually tend to have the exact same opinion about every single player.

edo783
01-11-2009, 12:18 PM
I could live with him turning out as good a Dunn. In fact, that would probably call for the "Happy dance" :specnatz:

I'm warming up the dancing shoes! A couple of more seasons like this one and it will be a horrible display of a fat, old, white dude happy dancing. Even this guy is better...:specnatz:

mexican_texan
01-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Strengths:
Excellent speed and quickness with a burst...Great agility, balance and change of direction...Can get outside and turn the corner...Nice vision and instincts...Elusive and very dangerous in the open field..Has very good hands and can be a weapon out of the backfield...A big play threat...Offers value as a return man....Productive.

Weaknesses:

Notes:
Is also being looked at as a wide receiver prospect by some..Shared the spotlight with Pat White and was beginning to lose carries to true freshman Noel Devine in 2007...Didn't have a great junior campaign and saw his stock drop...Will never be a pro workhorse but could carve a niche for himself and excel as a 3rd down back.

wtf!

With that said, he seems like a big play-maker. I don't know what else to said.

Whoever you got this information from just lost all credibility.

beerlover
01-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Whoever you got this information from just lost all credibility.

pretty accurate to me, hey maybe I lost just all credibilty? can't remember, however you dewelled on the negative only -

Strengths:

mexican_texan
01-11-2009, 11:20 PM
I've seen you call some good things so I'll let it slide this time. I don't think he's very good in the open field, not that he has too many of those opportunities. He's not bad, but if he could get past that last guy, he'd have a couple 50 yarders to add to his resume.

beerlover
01-11-2009, 11:40 PM
I've seen you call some good things so I'll let it slide this time. I don't think he's very good in the open field, not that he has too many of those opportunities. He's not bad, but if he could get past that last guy, he'd have a couple 50 yarders to add to his resume.

I don't know who wrote the Steve Slaton bio, could be anybody doesn't matter. based on his work profile @ West Virginia its a fair, but breif overview, of a quality 3rd. RB prospect who was drafted by the right system/team for his talent & was able to give him ample opportunity to showcase his skills. Its easy now to add to his resume of course, he has proven to be durable, downhill north/south runner who can break multiple tackles, can be a feature back not just situational RB & has found his niche here with Kubiak & Houston Texans. excellent pick, great story!

The one thing I can remember harping about was that people gave up on him because he bulked up his Junior year & were saying lost his explosiveness, I defended the move saying he was gearing up for the NFL. He knew he had to get stronger, tougher & make a commitment to withstand the punishment you take as a RB in the NFL. on that point he proved me right :)

mussop
01-11-2009, 11:47 PM

Yes it is!

painekiller
01-11-2009, 11:57 PM
I don't know who wrote the Steve Slaton bio, could be anybody doesn't matter. )

All I know is I was completely wrong about him.

mexican_texan
01-12-2009, 12:10 AM
I don't know who wrote the Steve Slaton bio, could be anybody doesn't matter. based on his work profile @ West Virginia its a fair, but breif overview, of a quality 3rd. RB prospect who was drafted by the right system/team for his talent & was able to give him ample opportunity to showcase his skills. Its easy now to add to his resume of course, he has proven to be durable, downhill north/south runner who can break multiple tackles, can be a feature back not just situational RB & has found his niche here with Kubiak & Houston Texans. excellent pick, great story!

The one thing I can remember harping about was that people gave up on him because he bulked up his Junior year & were saying lost his explosiveness, I defended the move saying he was gearing up for the NFL. He knew he had to get stronger, tougher & make a commitment to withstand the punishment you take as a RB in the NFL. on that point he proved me right :)
I think the Cardinals Steve Slaton'd the season in. They had everything wrapped up, so they didn't really play the same late in the season so they could focus on the postseason. Just like SS knew he was going to the NFL, so he stopped trying as hard in WV.