PDA

View Full Version : Duane Brown: First Round pick of the Texans

Pages : [1] 2

kastofsna
04-26-2008, 05:06 PM
discuss.

swtbound07
04-26-2008, 05:07 PM
i hate this. I want to cry. Pathetic. Pathetic. An utter failure. No. Damnit NO.

kastofsna
explain yaself swt.

The1ApplePie
****ing boo

Ryan
04-26-2008, 05:08 PM
should have just traded out of the first round all together with this choice.

GuerillaBlack
Dumb, dumb, dumb.

b0ng
Not very happy with the pick, but at least they picked up some other picks and got him.

Alex Gibbs is definitely going to be either hated or loved.

texasguy346
04-26-2008, 05:09 PM
Gibbs apparently hand picked him. Hard to find any fault in that.

swtbound07
04-26-2008, 05:09 PM
we reached massively, and passed on cason and phillips. this WILL haunt us. Screw Gibbs.We reached for the 8th freaking tackle. I hate this.

Hagar
04-26-2008, 05:10 PM
Scout.com has him as a 2 star guy.

OT 16 Duane Brown SR 6-4.5/302/4.94 Virginia Tech Richmond, VA (http://profootballexperts.scout.com/a.z?s=211&p=9&c=12&yr=2008&nid=83&lnid=124&rc=4&pid=3)

Way, way too early.

drewmar74
Here's a little information on him... per NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/duane-brown?id=808

Regarded as the best athlete on the team, Duane Brown started three seasons at offensive tackle after converting from tight end.

After lining up on the right side as a sophomore and junior, Brown was shifted to left tackle as a senior. The offense struggled throughout the 2007 season, as the front wall allowed 54 quarterback sacks after giving up only 29 in 2006.

Brown lettered twice as a tight end and defensive end at Hermitage High School. He was rated the 13th-best prospect in Virginia by the Roanoke Times and Super Prep, ranked 49th among the nation's tight ends by Rivals100.com, and rated 37th on Tom Lemming's All-Mid Atlantic team.

He played in the Panthers' first three games his senior year before suffering a broken leg, but returned for the Central Region semifinal game, catching seven passes for just under 100 yards in his limited playing time. He also recorded 15 tackles, along with a pair of sacks to earn second-team All-District honors.

As a junior, Brown registered 10 catches for 115 yards and two scores, while contributing six sacks on defense. He also lettered in basketball, averaging 15 points and 12 rebounds a game. In track, he finished fourth in the Group AAA outdoor shot put competition.

Brown enrolled at Virginia Tech, red-shirting as a tight end on the scout team in 2003. He appeared in 13 games as a reserve tight end in 2004, catching three passes for 64 yards (21.3-yard average) and one touchdown. He participated on 157 offensive snaps and 150 more on special teams.

Brown was listed second on the depth chart at tight end during fall drills, but prior to the season opener, he moved to right offensive tackle, starting all thirteen games. In 673 offensive snaps, he collected fifteen knockdown blocks. He also appeared in 148 special team plays.

As a junior, Brown continued to excel at right tackle. He registered 22 knockdowns in a total of 806 snaps. He also performed on special teams, recording two tackles while blocking a field goal. He earned second-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference recognition and was voted state Offensive Lineman/End of the Year by the Richmond Touchdown Club.

In 2007, Brown garnered second-team All-ACC honors. He switched to left offensive tackle, totaling 34 knockdowns, but he also allowed 8.5 of the 54 sacks given up by the front wall. He blocked a pair of kicks and registered four tackles. He also became a two-time state Offensive Lineman/End of the Year pick by the Richmond Touchdown Club.

Career Notes
Brown registered 71 knockdown blocks in his three seasons as an offensive tackle...Also recorded six tackles 94 solo) and blocked three kicks on special teams...On offense, he caught three passes for 64 yards (21.3-yard average) and one touchdown, adding three yards on a rushing attempt.

ATX
Left Tackle of the future?

Texanballer
what a ****ing joke. We had Mendenhall in our laps and let it go. Wow a 1000 yd rusher for some bum lineman

Hook'er
04-26-2008, 05:11 PM
should have just traded out of the first round all together with this choice.

I agree!:texflag:

swtbound07
04-26-2008, 05:11 PM
this pick will haunt us. mark my words....we messed up bad. We traded back ignorantly, and for what??? really? im curious...espn hasn't covered the trade. What did we get for passing on mendenhall

Thorn
04-26-2008, 05:12 PM
what a ****ing joke. We had Mendenhall in our laps and let it go. Wow a 1000 yd rusher for some bum lineman

We used to say the same about Regie.

Ryan
This better work out or i'm gonna go after someone's head for passing on Mendenhall.

D-ReK
The OL version of Travis Johnson.

ATX
We've been bitching for 6 years about a LT and we get one and everybody starts crying.

beerlover
we can trade Sage now Schaub has his protection :hides:

kastofsna
04-26-2008, 05:13 PM
We've been bitching for 6 years about a LT and we get one and everybody starts crying.
he's not a sexy name that everyone targeted for 3 months and built up into this giant fantasy, so folks are now pissed off.

Ryan
this pick will haunt us. mark my words....we messed up bad. We traded back ignorantly, and for what??? really? im curious...espn hasn't covered the trade. What did we get for passing on mendenhall

the ravens 3rd round pick(89th overall) and 6th round pick(173rd overall).

BSofA04
F-ing stupid. Not a good selection at all....what a f-ing reach. Not liking this pick at all...just about all the peeps we wanted have gone to other teams.

Worst. draft. ever. I can't believe I waiting this long for this guy.

GuerillaBlack
04-26-2008, 05:14 PM

A 3rd and 6th. I was at least hoping for Mike Jenkins. Damnit Texans!

Texanballer

yeah but mario williams brings us sacks, tackles, fumbles, possibly an interception

What does a lineman bring? a pancake?

TexansLucky13

Hehehe.

swtbound07
he's not a sexy name that everyone targeted for 3 months and built up into this giant fantasy, so folks are now pissed off.

yes...im pissed that we took the EIGHTH BEST TACKLE over Cason and phillips. Im pissed mendenhall fell to us by some miracle and we threw him away for a 3rd and a 6th...and then BLEW a first round pick. Screw this. Screw Gibbs. This is a pathetic reach.

Mr. White
I'm seeing the logic here now.

He had a 2nd round grade, but we didn't have a 2nd round pick.

So we reached.

b0ng
we reached massively, and passed on cason and phillips. this WILL haunt us. Screw Gibbs.We reached for the 8th freaking tackle. I hate this.

Feel free to root for other teams as well.

BSofA04
Brown was a reach though....ALL THE LEGIT FIRST ROUND TACKLES WERE GONE....WE F-ING REACHED ON BROWN!

GuerillaBlack

One of the lowest rated among all LT's...

TexansLucky13
yeah but mario williams brings us sacks, tackles, fumbles, possibly an interception

Less sacks? A better offense? Championships?

kastofsna

lol so you just want numbers, eh? what about winning, does that mean anything?

stingray
04-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Duane Brown=Travis Johnson We trade down for this?

Hagar
04-26-2008, 05:16 PM
Football Futures write-up

Duane Brown OT 65 308 Virginia Tech
By: Robert Davis
Brown signed on with the Hokies as a tight end. He redshirted his first year in the program, then caught three passes for 64 yards and a touchdown in his first season on the field. He was moved to offensive tackle before the 2005 season, and moved into the starting lineup at right tackle. Hes been a starter at tackle since.

Brown is a very good athlete, and has a lot of upside because of his natural ability. He was a tight end just two years ago, so he has the natural athleticism, quickness, and lateral agility to be a quality pass protector in the NFL. Brown has been a solid performer on the field, but it is the upside that entices teams.

This is just his third season on the offensive line, so he is definitely a work in progress. He is relying on his talent and intensity right now because of his inexperience. He lacks consistency on the field, and may need time to develop before he steps on to the field. Brown will also need to continue to get stronger in the NFL to develop a more well rounded game.

Duane Brown has a lot of upside, and that may cause him to be taken earlier than his on field performance has shown to date. The natural gifts he has project very well to the left side in the NFL, and everyone is looking for a left tackle that can keep the quarterback standing.

New_Texans
^^^

Reminds me of the Spencer pick w/o the "big nasty" quality to it.

seriously, no one even knows anything about him but they complain. I mean, Spencer wasn't expected to do much but he was fine until he got injured. We just won't know until he plays. Look forward to Matt Forte in the 3rd unless we trade to get a pick in the second.

TexansSeminole
It's all about if this guy can come in and produce. If he can be an efficient LT of the future I am ok with the pick, if not I am mad that we passed on Mendenhall.

We may be able to get a good RB like Matt Forte in the 3rd round. Either way, we need a corner in our next 2 or 3 picks.

GuerillaBlack
04-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Duane Brown=Travis Johnson We trade down for this?

At least we traded down this time.

Thorn
Aw for Christs sakes. What happened to the old We Trust Rick Smith shit? Maybe this guy has something we arent looking at.

b0ng
This is probably one of those "Athletic quick fast" linemen. So basically I'm happy with it, because I wanted a lineman. It's not the name that I want, but all of you guys who are crying remember that the '06 and '07 drafts were awesome.

In Kubes we trust.

kastofsna
texans needed an OT, they traded down and picked up some picks and picked the best one available at 26. don't see a lot of downside there.

TexansLucky13
04-26-2008, 05:18 PM
texans needed an OT, they traded down and picked up some picks and picked the best one available at 26. don't see a lot of downside there.

Agreed.

Brandon420tx
04-26-2008, 05:18 PM
I really wanted Mendenhall, I mean really REALLY wanted Mendenhall. But, a good pass blocking OT? I'm fine with that.

bah007
04-26-2008, 05:19 PM

I'm just down cuz we landed in perfect position for Cason & didn't grab him.

Brown fills a need, but I thought CB was a more dire position of need in the 1st.

Maddict5
lol at the bitching..

we took the highest rated OT.. just because the scouting sites underestimated the OT class as a whole, the whiners are crying

Fox
I really wanted a tackle in the first round, can't say I ever expected this one though. Not too stoked he gave up 8.5 sacks last year, but I'll reserve judgment as always until I see what our coaches do with him and how he performs on the field.

swtbound07
what a waste. pathetic. pathetic. I hate this pick... I'm even more disturbed that porky likes it. Now i know we crapped out.

kastofsna
04-26-2008, 05:20 PM
just because the scouting sites underestimated the OT class as a whole
wait, what?

Hagar
seriously, no one even knows anything about him but they complain. I mean, Spencer wasn't expected to do much but he was fine until he got injured. We just won't know until he plays. Look forward to Matt Forte in the 3rd unless we trade to get a pick in the second.

Big difference, Spencer was taken in the third round. The same place were this guy should have been taken.

We could have gotten Dan Connor or Travarious Gooden at OLB and still gotten this dude in the third round.

Andrew6
I'm kind of confused, why did we trade down 8 spots and only get a 3rd and a 6th for this? shouldn't we have atleast gotten a decent second and traded first places?

Tulip

No kidding.

Mailman
04-26-2008, 05:21 PM

For late first round money. Some people are just whiners.

"I've never heard of this guy so he must suck!"

Mr. White
^^^

Reminds me of the Spencer pick w/o the "big nasty" quality to it.

Mayock called him a "brawler" FWIW.

Grid
Boy.. you people...

I came in here expecting to see some cheering, instead I see this crap.

Guys.. Brown is a prototypical Alex Gibbs olineman. Gibbs picked him himself. He was a reach in that IF we had had a good second round pick we MAY have been able to grab him later.. but we didnt have a second round pick and we cannot say for sure whether anyone with a good second round pick was willing to trade it to us.

The fact that this guy was hand picked by our oline guru.. and that it was approved by Kubiak and Smith who have an awesome track record up to this point.. should be MORE than enough to make you, AT LEAST, supportive. You may not feel like jumping and screaming but you should at the very least feel like this could be a positive move for us if it works out.

Honestly..grow the f--- up. Support your team. Try to show a little bit of intelligence, instead of a whole lot of your ass.

New_Texans
what a waste. pathetic. pathetic. I hate this pick... I'm even more disturbed that porky likes it. Now i know we crapped out.

We still have other picks...7 more i think; chill...really.

Andrew6
I really wanted a tackle in the first round, can't say I ever expected this one though. Not too stoked he gave up 8.5 sacks last year, but I'll reserve judgment as always until I see what our coaches do with him and how he performs on the field.

8.5 sacks in two seasons not one season

Fox
04-26-2008, 05:22 PM
live link to kubes:
http://www.houstontexans.com/tv/index.asp?mm_file_id=2247&play_clip=Y

Thorn
I'm trusting the judgement of the Texans staff to mine at this point. If yall remember, we were all pretty pissed off at Mario Williams at one point.

We got a LT in the first round, and I am happy.

swtbound07
We still have other picks...7 more i think; chill...really.

no thanks...we already blew our draft.

New_Texans
Mayock called him a "brawler" FWIW.

Hmm, i think i like this pick more then.

BSofA04
no one under-estimated anything. Duane Brown wasn't the best player on the board IMO. We could have drafted Cason, Tyrell Johnson or Kenny Phillips.

Let's just call this "Sticker shock" at this point. Who in their right mind had us taking Duane Brown in round one?! Completely out of left field.

Fox
8.5 sacks in two seasons not one season

That's much better, thanks, lol.

PS live link over sorry.

beerlover
04-26-2008, 05:23 PM

yeah we could have used the first overall pick to address this need instead :cool:

TexanSam
It's a lot more comfy on the bandwagon now with all of you apparently jumping off.

Because all of you draft experts already know Phillips, Mendenhall, Cason, and whoever else you wanted already know that Duane Brown isn't going to be as good as them. You are all ready to put Rick Smith, Alex Gibbs, and Kubiak's head on a pike because you hate this pick. You guys are lame.

Welcome to the Texans Duane Brown!

New_Texans

wow, some kind of fan you are.

Tulip
I'm kind of confused, why did we trade down 8 spots and only get a 3rd and a 6th for this? shouldn't we have atleast gotten a decent second and traded first places?

No because, no one was getting that kind of value ahead of us. The Ravens only got two 3rds and a 4th to trade down to 26. No way were we getting a second.

TexanSam
04-26-2008, 05:24 PM

You sure? I had no idea you knew more than our front office.

threetoedpete

Bull Dung....Gibbs, the HOF O-line coach picked his boy. He wasn't going to make it to 79. How many judas goat QBs do ya need there SWT ?

Grid
no one under-estimated anything. Duane Brown wasn't the best player on the board IMO. We could have drafted Cason, Tyrell Johnson or Kenny Phillips.

Let's just call this "Sticker shock" at this point. Who in their right mind had us taking Duane Brown in round one?! Completely out of left field.

Thats the kind of junk that happens when you have an Oline coach with a history of taking less known players and making them into pro bowlers.

Hagar
This has been so much fun that I'm going to go mow my yard.

swtbound07
wow, some kind of fan you are.

i've been here since the beginning...and some people will cosign on anything. Im calling this like i see it..and i see huge mistakes. Epic, franchise killing mistakes.

Fox
04-26-2008, 05:25 PM
Here's to a great career for Duane, welcome to the Texans. May he shore up the position which has been a thorn in our sides since day 1. :texflag:

The Pencil Neck

No. A decent second would have been too much.

We should have gotten a 3rd and maybe a high 5th or a low 4th. The 6th was a little lower than I would have liked.

BUT...

I'm going with the pick. I believe in Smithiak.

Maddict5
wait, what?

they had 8 OT's going in the 1st? i missed that

im sick of fans thinking they know more than the coaches.. SWT and others haven't even seen the guy play and hes saying its a bad pick. thats retarded.

reggie had the hype.. we took mario
winston had the hype at #33.. we took demeco ryans

etc

hype means sh1t when it comes to the draft

New_Texans
i've been here since the beginning...and some people will cosign on anything. Im calling this like i see it..and i see huge mistakes. Epic, franchise killing mistakes.

Mario/ Bush/ Young

which one did you want? Honestly. This should tell me a lot.

swtbound07
04-26-2008, 05:26 PM
if he turns into a franchise LT, i'll eat my texans hat live on webcam.

TexanSam

Dude, the guy hasn't played one down for our team. And you're already calling him a mistake.

Texanballer
I am still a die hard texans fan, just pissed off about the pick. Hopefully we are proven wrong

stingray
OK, I'm on board. I trust Rick Smith. Let's see what this guy does.

NitroGSXR
It's a lot more comfy on the bandwagon now with all of you apparently jumping off.

Because all of you draft experts already know Phillips, Mendenhall, Cason, and whoever else you wanted already know that Duane Brown isn't going to be as good as them. You are all ready to put Rick Smith, Alex Gibbs, and Kubiak's head on a pike because you hate this pick. You guys are lame.

I'm still on the wagon with you!

Welcome to the Houston Texans, Duane Brown! Maul your ass away for Matt Schaub.

Maddict5
04-26-2008, 05:27 PM

calling it before you've even watched him play.. smart guy

TK_Gamer
From what Kubiak just discussed in the press conference, Brown was their guy from the start at LT. You can never second guess the front office when we as fans don't have all the information. Everything Smith and Kubiak said lead me to believe they have wanted Brown for some time and had very good arguments to support it. He is definately a very athletic lineman and should help the running / zone blocking scheme that Gibbs will impliment. I still would not rule out us trading up and turning one of our 3rd round picks into a 2nd rounder.

swtbound07
I am still a die hard texans fan, just pissed off about the pick. Hopefully we are proven wrong

Im allowed to ***** on draft day...by the time he reports, i'll be on board...but today, im pissed.

D-ReK

We traded down that time too.

BSofA04
04-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Thats the kind of junk that happens when you have an Oline coach with a history of taking less known players and making them into pro bowlers.

I certaintly hope so cause this guy barely registers 6'4". The second shortest guy who projects as a LT.

beerlover
he does have better feet than Jake Long :)

Silver Oak

well said sir!

I'll trust in Kubiak and Smith until proven otherwise.

threetoedpete

That's what they just told you dumb a$$, they got on one behind Salaam. No one.

Grid
04-26-2008, 05:29 PM

I feel sorry for your stomach.

You are betting against Alex Gibbs.. who has had top tier offensive lines his entire career.. who hand picked this guy.

The fact that his strengths are his athleticism, and that he is a former TE... both very common traits shared by many of Alex Gibbs best olinemen.. should also be a big indicator to you.

but whatever..its your hat and your toilet. Id invest in a large bottle of pepto and some very fluffy toilet paper.

Mr. White
I've looked a little more into this guy and I'm coming around now.

According to this (http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2008-04-25-0097.html) article, Kiper said he's the 5th best OT at best, 6th best OT at worst. He was the 8th guy taken, so by that logic, we got a bargain.

Brown certainly caught the attention of ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr.

"I'd be surprised if he's not gone by the end of the second round," Kiper said. "He's one of the faster left tackles in the draft, and he did 24 reps on the bench press at the combine."

Players bench press 225 pounds as many times as they can as part of their NFL combine workout.

"You can make the argument he's the fifth-best tackle in the draft, the sixth-best at worst," Kiper said.

Mailman

Dude, maybe you need to go away for a while and chill out.

You've probably never seen this guy play. Do you know who he played against? Chris Long.
Alex Gibbs and Smithiak know what they're doing.

Texanballer
I sound like i didnt wanna draft a Lineman. Well i was all for it, if it was chris williams, otah, albert, not this guy no one has heard of, they didnt even have good film on him, it was shitty quality

swtbound07
That's what they just told you dumb a$$, they got on one behind Salaam. No one.

this guy isn't the answer. This is a pathetic reach, and an ego trip by gibbs. this is dumb.

New_Texans
04-26-2008, 05:31 PM
I'm excited about this team.

Mr PC
That's much better, thanks, lol.

Im pretty sure it was 8.5 sacks in one season. The VT O-line was very bad last year, gave up 50+ sacks.

GuerillaBlack

So, because people are upset with the pick, they are no longer Texans fans?

TK_Gamer
this guy isn't the answer. This is a pathetic reach, and an ego trip by gibbs. this is dumb.

Will you EVER be sastified with a Texans decision? just curious..

TexanSam
04-26-2008, 05:32 PM
So, because people are upset with the pick, they are no longer Texans fans?

Actually, I'm probably overreacting just like all these other people who hate the pick for whatever reason.

Mailman

Did you see his combine work? He's a good fit for what the Texans are trying to do.

swtbound07
Will you EVER be sastified with a Texans decision? just curious..

i've been happy with most. Was stoked about demeco and winston, was on the "anybody but reggie kick 2 years ago", was hyped about amobi...this just reeks of stupid to me. sorry.

awtysst
04-26-2008, 05:33 PM
I had Brown as a early to mid 2nd. Is it a reach? A little bit. I like him as a player and was hoping to target him in the second.

That said, I see a trend going on and that is that the CBs are falling. The RB class also looks pretty solid. Now with 2 thirds I could see us taking a 2nd round graded CB, RB or both.

I think a lot of people are looking at this move as disappointing, but I think that he will change your minds.

RTP2110
If the guy can play, he can play. It doesn't matter where he was drafted. Are you guys seriously upset because so and so had him at number whatever in thier list, and we picked him higher??

We didn't just pass on Mendenhall (or whoever you're heartbroken over) and move down.We picked up a 3 and a 6 in the process. Look at the 3rd round players we've picked up in the last few years. There's value in round 3.

Grid
Guerilla.. if you only beat your wife once..that doesnt mean you are a good husband.

If a fan is too freaking stupid to trust a front office that has made countless good decisions.. and an oline coach that has a looooooooong history of the best Olines in the league.. and is ready to say that this draft is crap and we blew it and its an "ego trip" by Gibbs.. simply because we took a player that fits our scheme perfectly a LITTLE bit earlier than he was projected..

Yah..you arent a fan of this team. Or.. to put it better.. you may be a fan of this team, but the rest of the fans would prefer that you werent.

NitroGSXR
04-26-2008, 05:34 PM
Im pretty sure it was 8.5 sacks in one season. The VT O-line was very bad last year, gave up 50+ sacks.
Or was it bad quarterbacking? I'd hope so...

MojoMan
04-26-2008, 05:34 PM
This pick will turn out fine. We were destined to pick either a CB or an OT, because those are our two areas of greatest need. I would have gone CB, but if Alex Gibbs now has the personnel he needs to take the Texan's OL to the next level, this will be a very good pick.

Unless I am mistaken, the people whining about this pick are 1) largely the same group who freaked out when the Texans drafted Mario Williams and 2) in favor of taking an offensive skill player in the first round almost every year. Some people never learn.

beerlover
04-26-2008, 05:35 PM
I sound like i didnt wanna draft a Lineman. Well i was all for it, if it was chris williams, otah, albert, not this guy no one has heard of, they didnt even have good film on him, it was shitty quality

you know a couple months ago Chris Williams was projected as a 2nd rd. pick. Albert was'nt even being mentioned. Brown to people who have access to game film or followed Virginia Tech football know all about him. he is a ZBS LT prospect & Gibbs will coach him up. he has reach & hand size over Williams, is clean on & off the field. I'll trust Rick that he believes Gibbs recomendation. the Texans had to address this position, Matt Schaub has to be protected better & I hear he (Duane) has a nasty mean streak :bowser:

Drew_Smoke
04-26-2008, 05:36 PM
In Kubes & Smith I Trust. You know they did their homework.

He better be a winner or its their arses.

Silver Oak
04-26-2008, 05:36 PM
all this bitching has me looking forward to wearing my Brown jersey.

:texflag:

GuerillaBlack
04-26-2008, 05:37 PM
We traded down that time too.

No we didn't.

Hardcore Texan
lol at the bitching..

we took the highest rated OT.. just because the scouting sites underestimated the OT class as a whole, the whiners are crying

This is getting funny! I understand people are upset they didn't get what they want, hell I didn't get what I thought I wanted. But what the F do I know about drafting players besides being a hardcore fan.

We took Charles Spencer and Eric Winston much later than this. And Eric is a starter and Charles would have been w/o the injury.

We got Demeco in the second. Owen Daniels in the 3rd. Jacoby in the 3rd.

Where did we get Fred Bennet again, was it 5th or 6th?

JUST RELAX PEOPLE, let's give the FO the benefit of the doubt on this one, heh?

beerlover
just X out Duane insert Levi :)

GuerillaBlack
Actually, I'm probably overreacting just like all these other people who hate the pick for whatever reason.

Just like you like the pick, people are allowed to dislike it. Like me.

Grid
04-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Just like you like the pick, people are allowed to dislike it. Like me.

Dislike it all you want.. but if you cant acknowledge that the FO knows more than you.. and that this guy is a prototypical Gibbs olineman.. then im gonna point out that you are an *****.

Tulip
04-26-2008, 05:39 PM
Kiper also said on the ESPN broadcast that this pick wasn't a reach to him because two players he ranked below Brown were picked ahead of him. Not that he's THE WORD, but he thought it was a solid pick. Plus he has the endorsement of the person with the most important opinion on the matter - Alex Gibbs.

I think it's fine. It's not exciting - I'm not jumping up and down like with Okoye last year, but it's fine.

Mr. White
04-26-2008, 05:39 PM
Sounds like a prototypical Gibbs guy the more I look into it. I can live with this pick.

Let's face it. Most people around here are just pissed because he wasn't on our radar.

Sounds like a typical Alex Gibbs pick. Like it or not, this is what we signed up for when we hired him.

bigbrewster2000
04-26-2008, 05:40 PM

I dont remember exactly, but you said the same thing about Mario didnt you?

RTP2110
04-26-2008, 05:41 PM
Dislike it all you want.. but if you cant acknowledge that the FO knows more than you.. and that this guy is a prototypical Gibbs olineman.. then im gonna point out that you are an *****.

Agreed. I don't know why people are on here acting as if they know more than the Texans' staff.

Texans Pride
04-26-2008, 05:41 PM

Sure wish you had said that when you said this:

Two, and let me put this in bold so you can understand this:
David Carr Will Be Allowed to play out the remainder of his contract extension. PERIOD.
You can draw up lists, look at free agents, do whatever you want. Carr will be here until his extension runs out, and its very possible he could get a new contract after that.

even if we WERE looking to acquire a quarterback, it wouldn't be matt schaub. the price will be too high, and frankly he will be the most sought after qb on the market, and we cant pull that.
http://www.texanstalk.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=4

BSofA04
04-26-2008, 05:42 PM
Anyone have this guy's measureables? Arm length, hand size, 40 time..etc?

D-ReK
No we didn't.

In 2005, we had the 13th overall pick, which we traded to the Saints for their 3rd in 2006. They selected Jammal Brown at 13 and we took Travis Johnson at 16 and Winston with their 2006 3rd.

Fox
You know, you can dislike a pick without thinking you're smarter than the FO. I'm fine with the choice, but I don't expect everyone else to be, and being that this is a forum I think it's ok for them to express that.

GuerillaBlack
04-26-2008, 05:43 PM

Who said that? Some just don't like the pick.

RTP2110
04-26-2008, 05:43 PM
Sure wish you had said that when you said this:

Two, and let me put this in bold so you can understand this:
David Carr Will Be Allowed to play out the remainder of his contract extension. PERIOD.
You can draw up lists, look at free agents, do whatever you want. Carr will be here until his extension runs out, and its very possible he could get a new contract after that.

even if we WERE looking to acquire a quarterback, it wouldn't be matt schaub. the price will be too high, and frankly he will be the most sought after qb on the market, and we cant pull that.
http://www.texanstalk.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=4

Ah, the epic ''everybody is wrong about everything'' thread. Classic.

El Amigo Invisible
04-26-2008, 05:45 PM
we can trade Sage now Schaub has his protection :hides:

LOL

Texanballer
04-26-2008, 05:45 PM
There arent any images of him on google, just one, no one knows who this guy is. I hope he puts himself out there

MojoMan
04-26-2008, 05:47 PM
The General weighs in in his Blog on Chron.com (http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/)

Texans select left tackle Duane Brown

General manager Rick Smith took a huge chance trading down from 18 to 26 and still getting Virginia Tech left tackle Duane Brown.

The Texans brought in all the left tackles they liked for interviews. Assistant head coach Alex Gibbs fell in love with Chris Williams, Branden Albert and Brown, who is 6-4, 315 and the fastest left tackle in the draft. He ran a 5.00 40-yard dash at the scouting combine.

Brown was a tight end who was moved to right tackle because Virginia Tech had Brandon Frye, a fifth-round pick last season. When Frye left, Brown was moved to left tackle and played very well last season.

The Texans interviewed Virginia defensive end Chris Long, and he praised Brown's blocking ability. They talked to players and coaches who played against Brown as well as though who played with him.

"We think he has a tremendous upside," Smith said.

In the Denver zone scheme the Texans are using exclusively for the first time, the left tackle has to be extremely quick as well as intelligent and nasty. The quickness comes from getting off the ball and making his initial block, then getting onto the second level to make another block. It's a complicated scheme that demands the player think on the run.

Also, Gibbs demands that his linemen cut block. Some don't like to do it because they don't want it done to them. If the player doesn't cut, he can't play for Gibbs. Brown told them he has no problem with cut-blocking.

Texaninlild
04-26-2008, 05:49 PM
I see this kid as slight upgrade over Salaam at this point with his pass blocking (he will probably get much better) and much better at run blocking. He is a knock you on your butt player.

I haven't seen a 'Matt Millen' draft from our team in the last two years. I will wait to see what he does. If he is not starting at left tackle on day one, then we possibly made a mistake. I fully expect him to start and without a freak injury, be there for years.

threetoedpete
04-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Anyone have this guy's measureables? Arm length, hand size, 40 time..etc?

all I know after the elite guys he was the best, cleanest OLT ZBS propect on the board. Believe anything, believe this: he's going to earn every F)(8king nickle of the contract. Gibbs will work his a$$ off.

HOU-TEX
04-26-2008, 05:50 PM
It caught me a little off guard, but I don't have a problem with it. We don't have a #2, so a little bit of a reach won't hurt us as long as it's a player we truly had high on our boards.

Let's just hope he's a quick learner so he can unseat Salaam.:cool:

Carr Bombed
04-26-2008, 05:53 PM

Sorry, but you lost all cred regarding talent when you said you want to move Tmac for Sebastian Telfair............I'm going to side with Alex Gibbs.

NitroGSXR
04-26-2008, 05:54 PM
What about that Frye guy? Didn't he come from VTech too? If so where did he play as opposed to Duane Brown? I'm starting to feel a little bit iffy on the idea.

I fully welcome Duane Brown. Don't misunderstand me.

TexansFanatic
04-26-2008, 05:54 PM
I was listening to the guys on 1560 the Game for this selection. They were disgusted.

Could this be the first big goof from Rick Smith?

Any chance Alex Gibbs is senile?

bah007
04-26-2008, 05:57 PM
We had to come out of the 1st with either a LT or a CB & we did that.

Obviously, it's no secret I wanted Cason....a whole lot.

But we came out of there with a LT for the future plus a bonus 3rd round pick.

Can't argue with that. Go Smithiak.

Vinny
04-26-2008, 05:57 PM
It caught me a little off guard, but I don't have a problem with it. We don't have a #2, so a little bit of a reach won't hurt us as long as it's a player we truly had high on our boards.

Let's just hope he's a quick learner so he can unseat Salaam.:cool:
one of his knocks is that he isn't one of the sharpest knives in the drawer

BSofA04
04-26-2008, 05:59 PM
I'm better now with this pick but I really hate the fact that he's undersized. This is Gibb's boy, so hopefully he's the missing link to a dominant o-line.

It's just weird that our QB is taller than our future starting LT. Dammit.

GuerillaBlack
04-26-2008, 05:59 PM
I don't know. The Texans needed a pick that would really ignite the fanbase. Duane Brown is not it. We will see how this all turns out. I am hoping for the best. Would have liked Mike Jenkins in the back. He was not a reach at 18. The dropoff in CB's is pretty big, too (especially when you don't even have a second).

BSofA04
04-26-2008, 06:01 PM
I don't know. The Texans needed a pick that would really ignite the fanbase. Duane Brown is not it. We will see how this all turns out. I am hoping for the best. Would have liked Mike Jenkins in the back. He was not a reach at 18. The dropoff in CB's is pretty big, too (especially when you don't even have a second).

True that, Godfrey won't last into the 3rd. I know the Texan's targeted him.

HOU-TEX
04-26-2008, 06:03 PM
one of his knocks is that he isn't one of the sharpest knives in the drawer

LOL! Thanks, that helps alot. Has there been a "sharp knife" come out of Va Tech? LOL

YoungTexanFan
04-26-2008, 06:05 PM
one of his knocks is that he isn't the sharpest knives in the drawer

This was proven in the Orange Bowl. Brown had a rough game. He struggled with recognizing his assignment against a complex zone blitz scheme. The Kansas pass-rush won that game, and Brown was on the wrong end of that.

I don't think he was value at all, but there were some offensive linemen that went before him that I have him rated higher than. He is a project. I do not think he has the ability to learn our offense quick enough to start, and he will have to improve his pass protection a lot. He is undersized, which isn't a huge knock, just a potential concern with arm length and hand size. I think it was a wasted pick in terms of spot as I think he is a second round talent, but I trust our front office with their targeting of Brown. I think he will be an above average NFL LT.

Grid
04-26-2008, 06:08 PM
I dont think we did a good enough job preparing folks for the difference in Alex Gibbs olinemen.

Seems alot of people dont understand that Gibbs does not want, or need, prototypical olinemen.

I wasnt shocked in the least to see us pick a tackle that is undersized and raw, but very athletic and quick on his feet.

What I find amusing is that not too long ago people would have been overjoyed to see us drafting ANY olinemen in the first couple of rounds.

beerlover
04-26-2008, 06:13 PM
Duane Brown is the highest drafted linemen in Texans draft history :specnatz:

Hutch13
04-26-2008, 06:16 PM
LOL! Thanks, that helps alot. Has there been a "sharp knife" come out of Va Tech? LOL

Michael Vick :sarcasm:

WaywardTexanFan
04-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Living in the Virginia area I have had the opportunity to see this kid in action for the last couple of years. He has been a starter for 3 years. He has had some injuries but has played thru them and never given up. This may not be the best pick but it sure isn't the worst Houston has made.

Tulip
04-26-2008, 06:17 PM

The Texans can't do anything else at this point to ignite the fanbase except to WIN. No player is going to sell tickets at this point, IMO. If the Texans were a bad team subjected to TV blackouts...it would be a different story. This isn't the Texans of 2 years ago. It's an 8-8 team looking to take the next step by methodically upgrading its talent at each position.

gwallaia
04-26-2008, 06:18 PM
I am mystified that the Texan's front office refuses to consult this message board and take advantage of all the advice from so many draft experts.

HoustonFrog
04-26-2008, 06:19 PM
I'm not going to lie and act like this is the best pick out there BUT the one thing that differentiates Kubes and Smith vs the past regime is their drafting and picking up diamonds in FA to fit needs. I feel like there is some goodwill there to trust this pick and figure they can use the 3rd for a RB that will still be there and that fits the system.

Overall I'm a proponent of BPA when the draft falls right. I think sticking at 18and taking Mendenhall or Jenkins then instead of getting cute was the best move. But again I defer to the pros and realize this guy might be perfect for the system.

TheCD
04-26-2008, 06:19 PM
Well i was all for it, if it was chris williams, otah, albert, not this guy no one has heard of

Had anyone really heard of Tom Brady when he was drafted? Who cares what position they're drafted at if they produce and make the team better? We can't say how he'll do until we see him play. I haven't heard of TONS of players that are drafted...does that mean they're not good? Knowing who a player is is merely relative to how much time you spend watching college football.

I don't know. The Texans needed a pick that would really ignite the fanbase. Duane Brown is not it.

I wouldn't worry...I think wins will ignite the fanbase. A flashy pick will only last so long if you aren't winning. Mendenhall might have been great, sure...but how is he going to be that "incredible" back if no holes are open for him to run through?

Heath Shuler
04-26-2008, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
Brilliant. Duane Brown was ranked:

56th best overall player by Gosselin.
66th best by SI.com
85th best by ProFootballWeekly.com
165th best by Scout.com

Maybe he'll be great, but there's no way he's not a reach. Kiper thinks he's better than Baker and Cherilus, at least.

I'm officially depressed.

8th best OT by usatoday; 57th overall; projected to go in the 2-3 round.

seems like a reach to me.

I now hate jerry jones almost as much as I hate bud adams

Brando
04-26-2008, 06:28 PM
I think I will trust Alex Gibbs,Kubes and Smith on this matter. I didn't know much about this guy but he looks very solid on the highlights they showed. I was disappointed not drafting Mendenhall but I got over it and welcome Brown to the Texans. Besides there is a reason Mendenhall dropped this far.

Give this regime a little credit before jumping off the edge. We have (2) 3rd rounders now in a pretty deep draft.

Another good thing out of this, we finally addressed our OL issue with a 1st rounder.

TheRealJoker
04-26-2008, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
Brilliant. Duane Brown was ranked:

66th best by SI.com
165th best by Scout.com

Maybe he'll be great, but there's no way he's not a reach. Kiper thinks he's better than Baker and Cherilus, at least.

I'm officially depressed.

So he's a reach because media guys dont have him rated where guys who get paid to draft players picked him?

The Pencil Neck
04-26-2008, 06:31 PM
So, Forte doesn't last to the third.

No real surprise.

WesmanTexanfan
Welcome Duane (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjokFX1xEZI)

TheRealJoker
I think I will trust Alex Gibbs,Kubes and Smith on this matter. I didn't know much about this guy but he looks very solid on the highlights they showed. I was disappointed not drafting Mendenhall but I got over it and welcome Brown to the Texans. Besides there is a reason Mendenhall dropped this far.

Give this regime a little credit before jumping off the edge. We have (2) 3rd rounders now in a pretty deep draft.

Another good thing out of this, we finally addressed our OL issue with a 1st rounder.

My favorite clip was seeing him run stride for stride with the ballcarrier downfield and picking off defenders. That's exactly what we need out of our LT. Plus he's got the feet to handle the edge rushers that we've never had at LT. Methinks he compares favorably to a converted TE that happened to be a pro bowl LT last season in Jason Peters of the Buffalo Bills.

Texanballer
04-26-2008, 06:32 PM
Duane Brown was ranked:

66th best by SI.com
165th best by Scout.com

and he went 26th overall?

we could have got him in the third round

buddyboy
04-26-2008, 06:35 PM

Wow. Possibly one of the most ignorant things that I've heard in a while. O-lineman might not have "stats" that are flashy, but to think that lineman bring nothing to the table is just...

What do lineman bring? They bring precious second for a QB to make his reads and get the ball to his reciever. They bring the blocking that MAKES a running back successful or unsuccessful. They might not be catching TDs and making INTs and forcing fumbles, making highlight reels, and catching the attention of everyone out there, but O-lineman are as important as ANY position out there.

Heath Shuler
04-26-2008, 06:35 PM
So he's a reach because media guys dont have him rated where guys who get paid to draft players picked him?
seems like a reach to me; a project. I hope I am wrong.

TexanSam
04-26-2008, 06:36 PM
Duane Brown was ranked:

66th best by SI.com
165th best by Scout.com

That's assuming all the teams ranked players exactly how these media services do. I can't imagine how much stuff goes on behind the scenes in every team's draft room. For all we know, Seattle or San Diego could have picked him if we passed. And how do we know he would be available to us in the 2nd if we wanted to trade up then? Or if he would be available to us in the 3rd?

Brando
04-26-2008, 06:36 PM
My favorite clip was seeing him run stride for stride with the ballcarrier downfield and picking off defenders. That's exactly what we need out of our LT. Plus he's got the feet to handle the edge rushers that we've never had at LT. Methinks he compares favorably to a converted TE that happened to be a pro bowl LT last season in Jason Peters of the Buffalo Bills.

He looks like he fits in Alex Gibbs offensive line. I'm easy to please as a fan.

Go Texans!:fans:

MojoMan
04-26-2008, 06:39 PM
Duane Brown was ranked:

66th best by SI.com
165th best by Scout.com

Assuming those people's projections are correct - we could have had him in the third. Apparently the Texan's staff did not believe they were correct, and boldly decided to ignore them all.

Maddict5
04-26-2008, 06:39 PM
I am mystified that the Texan's front office refuses to consult this message board and take advantage of all the advice from so many draft experts.

lol exactly

Nawzer
04-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Hey if left tackle doesn't work out we can always move him to the tight end position. He could be the league's fattest TE.

BSofA04
04-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Duane Brown was ranked:

66th best by SI.com
165th best by Scout.com

No man, things never go as planned. Brown was a second round grade and the best "pure LT" left....the Texans reached but no way would he be available for the 16th pick in the 3rd round. Considering that we don't have a second round pick, maybe this wasn't sooo bad.

The Pencil Neck
04-26-2008, 06:41 PM
seems like a reach to me; a project. I hope I am wrong.

Way before the draft, Kubiak and Smith said they were looking for a LT to bring in and GROOM for the LT position. That's what they got. They searched through all the LT's available and this is the guy they decided they liked.

This guy is the classic Alex Gibb's LT.

scourge
04-26-2008, 06:49 PM

we traded down when we picked up Travis Johnson, too... I did boo for that one. I thought we should've stayed put for a LT or LB(Derrick Johnson)

For this one, i didn't boo, but i was sure blindsided. More like a "WTF?!?" I didn't think the rest of the Tackles were 1st round material.

I told my wife as soon as they said Dallas was leap frogging us that they were gonna take Jenkins before we could. When that happened i was hoping for a trade down, or possibly Phillips or Flowers. But whatever, as long as he turns out alright, I'm ok with it. It was a position of need. Now in the 3rd I expect to see a db and/or rb.

CloakNNNdagger
04-26-2008, 06:50 PM

It was the 2007 season that the Hokies gave up 56 sacks, 8.5 going to Brown.

Yogi Berra once said that "when you come to a fork in the road, you take it"...................I guess Gibbs/Smithiak "took it"............Maybe they see something that allows them to feel that the 8.5 sacks were not truly on Brown alone since the rest of the OL could hardly have been considered a decent support cast. Although with some healthy skecpticm, I'm willing to wait for final judgement..............hopefully, we won't end up "taking it".............in the butt.:headhurts:

Hottoddie
04-26-2008, 06:55 PM
When the Texan's traded down to #26, I said to myself, they're going after Baker or Brown, in that order. Then, Atlanta comes out of nowhere & snags Baker. If what's being reported is true, & the Texans were after Brown all along, then I'm happy & it proves that the front office is exceptionally good at getting their man. My only gripe is that we just got a 3rd & 6th round pick for trading down 8 spots with Mendenhall on the board.

NitroGSXR
04-26-2008, 06:55 PM
He looks like he fits in Alex Gibbs offensive line. I'm easy to please as a fan.

Go Texans!:fans:
Best type of fan a team could ask for! Glad you're still on TexanSam's bandwagon along with me and Grid and others.

beerlover
04-26-2008, 06:56 PM
found one mock draft site who had projected Duane Brown as a 1st rd. pick going #27 to San Diego. so maybe not that far off base at all :thinking:

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008.php

GP
04-26-2008, 06:57 PM

I was upset, too. But remember we got a starting center from the Broncos.

Secondly, Duane Brown might allow Spencer to move to the right side.

Those three things, in addition to having a legitimate oline coach (finally), might just upgrade the whole offense.

But I know what you're saying: Amobi fell to us last year, and I was ready to yell "MENDENHALL!" over and over until the Ravens logo popped up...and then I knew it was all over. I mean, when the Ravens logo popped up...my gut began to twist BIG TIME.

Watching Mendenhall go to the Steelers was like raking razors on my rear. Watching Chris Johnson go to the Titans was like sliding into a pool of rubbing alcohol afterward--I had said that Chris Johnson would go in the first, and some people here thought he was no better than a 2nd rounder. And with Mike Jenkins going right in front of us, I knew what to expect here on the boards. Missing out on 2 RBs and a decent DB was r-o-u-g-h.

My only hope is that Schefter said he felt this was the "sleeper" pick. He seemed to like it a lot, and I think Schefter is a fairly unbiased guy when it comes to identifying teams' needs.

Kubiak just showed us what he thinks of Alex Gibbs.

Heath Shuler
04-26-2008, 07:02 PM
Way before the draft, Kubiak and Smith said they were looking for a LT to bring in and GROOM for the LT position. That's what they got. They searched through all the LT's available and this is the guy they decided they liked.

This guy is the classic Alex Gibb's LT.

I'm pretty sure he also said we needed a CB and edge rusher.

Imatexanfan
04-26-2008, 07:05 PM
Well I'm pissed about the Pick but at least we "could" get Jamaal Charles in the 3rd that'll kick ass:specnatz:

disaacks3
this pick will haunt us. mark my words....we messed up bad. We traded back ignorantly, and for what??? really? im curious...espn hasn't covered the trade. What did we get for passing on mendenhall Mark your words?....like the time we weren't getting rid of HWSNBN?

Like I told the guy who interviewed me after the game...I wasn't "ecstatic" by any means, but I was satisfied. Lotsa depth in this draft, and we missed the guys we really wanted early. (including the last-minute snipe from the cowgirls).

beerlover
My only hope is that Schefter said he felt this was the "sleeper" pick. He seemed to like it a lot, and I think Schefter is a fairly unbiased guy when it comes to identifying teams' needs.

throughout the process Adam has impressed me more than any other media reporter, concise, accurate, insightfull & seems to really enjoy what he is doing. great pick up on your part :)

GP
04-26-2008, 07:07 PM
Oh, and we just drafted an OL for the first time (correct?) in the first round. This is a major miracle that a lot of us thought would never happen. There's guys here who were aching for an OL in the first round every year, and we got one now--He's not the hyped OL we've had crammed down our throats by the media for 4 months, but hey....whatta' ya gonna do?

Duane might have lasted to the 2nd, but we didn't have a 2nd. It's not a reach when your oline coach was willing to trade down, scoop up an extra 3rd rounder for the trade-down with Balitmore (we need MORE picks, remember???), and still get a mobile yet aggressive OL that was thought to be a fit for our team/system.

I had said we'd pass on Mendenhall even if he fell to us, because Kubiak will never ever take a RB in the first. Thus, I can't wait to see how many drafts before we take a RB in the first round. Passing on Mendenhall and Chris Johnson was hard for me, because I felt those two guys are legit RBs, but I'm going to trust that our new center, a rookie OLineman, and maybe Spencer healthy and moved to the right side is going to solidify what has always been a weak line.

Draft season is my favorite time of year--It's like watching the results show on American Idol. Only better.

TexanSam
04-26-2008, 07:13 PM
Watching Chris Johnson go to the Titans was like sliding into a pool of rubbing alcohol afterward--I had said that Chris Johnson would go in the first, and some people here thought he was no better than a 2nd rounder.

I don't know what the Titans are doing with their RB corps. They have Lendale White. They drafted Chris Henry from Arizona last year then this year they take Chris Johnson from ECU in the 1st round. Seems kinda dumb to me.

bah007
04-26-2008, 07:14 PM
I don't know what the Titans are doing with their RB corps. They have Lendale White. They drafted Chris Henry from Arizona last year then this year they take Chris Johnson from ECU in the 1st round. Seems kinda dumb to me.

Johnson is the real deal, but one year later, I still have no clue what happened with the Chris Henry pick. Still don't get it.

NitroGSXR
04-26-2008, 07:15 PM
Johnson is the real deal, but one year later, I still have no clue what happened with the Chris Henry pick. Still don't get it.
Watch them get dumber and take Jamaal Charles.

GP
04-26-2008, 07:17 PM

But I think THIS pick is like hitting the "undo" button.

I think THIS pick is the real deal. Nobody, not even the casual NFL fan, thought Chris Henry was a good pick.

I watched Chris Johnson play in his bowl game...he was a FORCE. It got to the point where they were faking handoffs, or faking pitches, or faking throws to Chris Johnson...just because he was doing so much damage earlier in the game...and it was opening up the whole offense.

And unlike Regie Bush, Chris Johnson would lower his shoulder and plow a defender. He is a scrapper. He's a Marshawn Lynch-type player, but with amazing speed.

But hey...we needed RB AND OL. We chose OL. That's how it goes. I expect RB in the third.

Ole Miss Texan
04-26-2008, 07:18 PM
Well we talked about the worst case scenario and what it would be and it pretty much happened, except Mendenhall was available. No LT worthy of the 18, and the Texans top 2 CB's off the board, to top OLB's off the board. I thought we'd take Mendenhall or Jenkins there or trade down.

Kind of surprising seeing Mendenhall and Jenkins fall so far in the 1st round today. Lance called it yesterday, that these two were slipping (his final mock had RM at 23 to Pitt and MJ at 30 to ATL). So, it makes me feel a little better the Texans saw the same thing in them as everyone else...kind of odd.

Was Duane Brown my top choice? No, but after Albert and Wiliams were off the board, we HAD to trade down to get our LT and that's exactly what we did. Duane Brown is not a Nobody and if you've never heard of him, then you havn't read up on the draft particularly about possible Texans Prospects.

Don't let everyone fool you, he was not going to last to the 3rd round, just like Matt Forte we weren't going to get Matt Forte in the 3rd round, and like Antoine Cason wasn't a late 2nd or early 3rd rd pick.

Duane Brown was shooting up the boards and was easily an early 2nd rd pick. We traded down, gained more picks and selected him very near the end of the 1st round.

He's a prototypical Left Tackle and exactly what Gibbs and Kubiak were looking for. For them to select an OL in the 1st round- I knew I was going to be on board with whomever it was because these are extremely smart minds, esp. when it comes to the OL. If he was the LT for our team we HAD to take him there, he wouldn't have been available later, despite what many may think.

I too was really looking forward to Mendenhall, Jenkins or Cason. But I'm not going to bash the pick of Brown because we finally got the LT we've been waiting for and our OL is pretty darn near complete. I fully believe that our OL of the future are now all on the team already and they just need the coaching. LT was the most important position we needed to address and we did.

nunusguy
04-26-2008, 07:19 PM
My only gripe is that we just got a 3rd & 6th round pick for trading down 8 spots with Mendenhall on the board.
If you look at the "Draft Value Chart", you'll see that the exchange is not that
far off. It's pretty close. And I'm glad we got 2 more picks in the deal.
Now for all of those people who are upset that we didn't get the Illini RB, just remember he got a lot of pub and hype about his Rose Bowl game, etc. when
he only played one year as the starter in college. The guy that started ahead of him last year was an undrafted FA who went to the Saints. So
Mendenthaul probably wasn't really that good. Frankly I like the mentality of
treating running backs as a commodity. A few of them are special, but there's so many athletic, talented backs coming into the NFL every year a team just doesn't need to waste high draft picks on securing one.
But I dunno about this pick ? We got 2 excellent OTs 2 years ago, and that was in the third round. I think we deserved more for this years 1st rounder ?

Htownsportsfan
04-26-2008, 07:25 PM
One of the most knowledgable football guysa in Houston is Lance Z now on 1560 and as he has said from day one Alewx Gibbs will be our biggest offseason acquisition this year. The guys is a witch when it comes to the O'line, had Denver leading thre NFL in rushing went to Atlanta and thn they take oiver the top spot leading the league in rushing. One of his best skills is finding talent that fits his scheme while others are passing them bye. If Brown was the guy he wanted then get his a$$ get him into camp and then get the Hell out of the way. If they really wanted Brown fromthe get go then they did a hell of a job drafting by picking up picks and still getting their guy.

The Pencil Neck
04-26-2008, 07:25 PM
Brohm to GB as a backup for Rodgers... wow...

EDIT: Ooops. Thought I was in another thread when I typed this.

bah007
04-26-2008, 07:26 PM
Brohm to GB as a backup for Rodgers... wow...

Maybe not as the backup...

HoustonFrog
04-26-2008, 07:28 PM
If it makes anyone feel any better I read two mocks yesterday that said Brown was a sleeper and had the athleticism to be a a late 1st/early 2nd rounder. Made me think he might be a guy to target. I think they had their mind set as the board fell a certain way.

b0ng
04-26-2008, 07:30 PM
You know what, if the media hates this pick, then I am 100% behind it.

TEXANRED
04-26-2008, 07:34 PM
I hate this pick. In fact this is the same way I felt when we passed on DJ and drafted Travis Johnson.

TexanSam

I was in my car listening to Ted Deluca and John Lopez when they made the pick and it made me sick to my stomach. Not the pick, but Lopez and Deluca trying to act as if they know what they're talking about, dissing the pick, trying to stir some controversy, etc...

Rex King
If it makes anyone feel any better I read to mocks yesterday that said Brown was a sleeper and had the athleticism to be a a late 1st/early 2nd rounder. Made me think he might be a guy to target. I think they had their mind set as the board fell a certain way.

What we'll never know is if some other team had him targeted early in the 2nd round.

eriadoc
04-26-2008, 07:37 PM
We didn't get enough in return for trading down, IMO. A late 3rd rounder and a 6th is weak for trading back eight spots.

HoustonFrog
04-26-2008, 07:40 PM
We didn't get enough in return for trading down, IMO. A late 3rd rounder and a 6th is weak for trading back eight spots.

That is the disappointment. The Skins did the same thing to move 4 spots and threw in a 4th I think to get a 2nd. A 2nd is Round 1b in this day and age. 8 spots should have been worth more.

eriadoc
04-26-2008, 07:42 PM
That is the disappointment. The Skins did the same thing to move 4 spots and threw in a 4th I think to get a 2nd. A 2nd is Round 1b in this day and age. 8 spots should have been worth more.

Yep. I hate this draft so far.

TEXANRED
04-26-2008, 07:42 PM

Thats what I said. I think someone after us got a 1st and a 4th for trading back.

The desperation to add more picks was evident.

BPA my left foot.

Tulip
04-26-2008, 07:46 PM
Thats what I said. I think someone after us got a 1st and a 4th for trading back.

BPA my left foot.

But before that, no one was giving up a second. The old JJ draft value chart has very little value anymore.

BTW, did you guys catch that in the other thread? The Texans wouldn't even trade back 2 more spots with Seattle at 28 - that's how set they were on Duane Brown.

nunusguy
04-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Here's what really bothers me about this guy. John Harris, who knows his football talent, was on the 1560 Draft show today with LZ and he said he's been watching this guy play in college for the last 2 years and even went to the East-West Shrine game here in Houston this year and saw him practice & play in person. Harris said Duane Brown is a 4th round pick !

TexanSam
04-26-2008, 07:51 PM
Harris said Duane Brown is a 4th round pick !

Then we found a keeper because our 4th rounders have been awesome.

Grid
04-26-2008, 07:52 PM

BPA my left foot.

:elle:

We got a 1st, a 3rd, and a 6th for trading back :P.

We got the same value that everyone else got. Complaining about what we got for trading back is just whining...we could not have gotten more.

04-26-2008, 07:53 PM

not this year, since this is a draft that's deep but not spectacular.

MojoMan
04-26-2008, 07:55 PM

Well said. Positive rep for your spot-on comment.

b0ng
04-26-2008, 08:02 PM
I was in my car listening to Ted Deluca and John Lopez when they made the pick and it made me sick to my stomach. Not the pick, but Lopez and Deluca trying to act as if they know what they're talking about, dissing the pick, trying to stir some controversy, etc...

Yeah, get ready for lots of that. I can't imagine any of the radio personalities liking this pick. It's almost guaranteed that the entirety of the sports media is going to shit on this pick and our entire draft because of it.

I don't think he's really going to contribute a lot this year though, and I do also think we might've had a decent shot at getting him in the 3rd round. But he's an athletic Olinemen which pretty much fits what the system calls for.

Cheers.

GuerillaBlack
04-26-2008, 08:08 PM
Then we found a keeper because our 4th rounders have been awesome.

Wow. Help me understand what you are trying to say here. We use our first rounder on a fourth round pick?

Leahmic223
04-26-2008, 08:12 PM
I am going to give the guy time before I judge the pick any how.

So I really had no reactoin. The only time I get disappointed in a pick is if we draft a position we don't need. We needed a LT, we got one, and who knows he might ancor this spot a long time from now.

I will say this...a lot of people dissed the Mario Williams pick and looked how that worked out.

TexanSam
Wow. Help me understand what you are trying to say here. We use our first rounder on a fourth round pick?

I was being slightly sarcastic.

I respect Harris' opinion, but I think he's the only guy who I've seen who has said Duane Brown was a 4th rounder. Somebody posted a link that showed he was a late 1st, early 2nd round pick. Other's called him a sleeper pick. I respect their opinion as well.

I don't really give a damn what all the media thinks about our pick though. I like the pick. Was he a reach? Depends on who you ask. But he's a Texan now so that's all that really matters.

stingray
This comment bothers me on his scouting report...

Is not the type that will put in the extra hours in the weight and film rooms and needs to develop a better work ethic

The Pencil Neck

Dude. It was like a joke.

But seriously, some guy thought he was a 4th round talent. So what. Several of the guys that went today were considered 3rd/4th round talen by many of the experts.

This is the guy that Kubiak and Gibbs wanted. What if we had waited to the third and he was gone? We don't know where he was placed on other teams' boards.

AnthonyE
04-26-2008, 08:13 PM
What I hate is the fact he gave up 8.5 sacks last season.

TEXANRED
04-26-2008, 08:14 PM
:elle:

We got a 1st, a 3rd, and a 6th for trading back :P.

We got the same value that everyone else got. Complaining about what we got for trading back is just whining...we could not have gotten more.

Its not whinning when its a crap pick. And this is a crap pick. He won't even be a starter when the season begins. We passed on Mendenhall and Jenkins and either of them would have have been an immediate impact. Now we have yet another developmental player that just needs "time" to adapt to the system.

Carr Bombed
04-26-2008, 08:14 PM

With Gibbs on his ass (which he will be), he'll learn more than he cares to know about "work ethic".

The Pencil Neck
04-26-2008, 08:17 PM

But from that same report:

Compares To: JASON PETERS-Buffalo...Some might be scared off by the negatives in Brown's scouting report. But Brown has the same qualities as an athlete that Peters showed coming out of college. Both are former tight ends with minimal playing time at offensive tackle. The only thing that worries scouts about Brown is his learning ability, which could be an issue at the pro level. A coach that will both light his fire but bring him along slowly while revamping his technique might find gold with Brown. Buffalo more than got by taking that approach with Peters.

Sounds like he was made for Alex Gibbs.

kastofsna
04-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Its not whinning when its a crap pick. And this is a crap pick. He won't even be a starter when the season begins. We passed on Mendenhall and Jenkins and either of them would have have been an immediate impact. Now we have yet another developmental player that just needs "time" to adapt to the system.
yup, that's how the draft works.

Maddict5
04-26-2008, 08:18 PM
http://houstontexans.com/tv/index.asp?mm_file_id=2251

they really love the guy

TexanSam
04-26-2008, 08:18 PM

And we all know what makes a first round pick is that he has to start from day one right.

It doesn't bother me if he needs time to develop, because if the Texans think he'll develop as well as he does, then it's a damn good pick.

kbourda
04-26-2008, 08:19 PM
Statistically speaking, OLmen are usually the safest pick in the first round. I'll remain hopeful regarding the pick.

stingray
04-26-2008, 08:20 PM
http://houstontexans.com/tv/index.asp?mm_file_id=2251

they really love the guy

They have to say those things......

GuerillaBlack
04-26-2008, 08:21 PM
Hell, we could have had Chris Johnson, who is pretty damn good. Would have loved Mendenhall or Jenkins at 18.

Leahmic223
04-26-2008, 08:22 PM
And we all know what makes a first round pick is that he has to start from day one right.

It doesn't bother me if he needs time to develop, because if the Texans think he'll develop as well as he does, then it's a damn good pick.

Exactly.

Everyone talked and trashed Mario his first year. Now we see he has been getting better. It is rare that guys just jump in the league and blow it up like Joe Thomas, Peterson, DeMeco, P-Willis.

Can't expect it out of everyone, I think the kid will do just fine. We need a LT to hold down that spot, I am happy we got one.

Maddict5
04-26-2008, 08:22 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/specials/draft/2008/video/?c=Draft%20Order&p=216302&s=3030970&i=244107

TEXANRED
04-26-2008, 08:25 PM

If your team is making the playoffs, winning divisions, or winning championships, no.

If your best season is 8-8 and you have finished last 5 out of 6 seasons, then yes, our 1st round pick should be able to make an instant impact.

******disclaimer******** QB's excluded from that statement.

J-Russ
04-26-2008, 08:27 PM
yayyy.:doot:

Maddict5
04-26-2008, 08:28 PM
They have to say those things......

lol.. you make it sound like somebody made the pick for them and they were just sent out to defend it

lets look at the evidence:
-they speak about him more glowingly than either mario or amobi imo
-they 'reach' to take him in the late 1st rd
-they're so worried about not getting him they wont even move down 2 spots in case somebody takes him

you right, they dont really like him that much

Maddict5
04-26-2008, 08:29 PM
this reminds me of the bengals and levi jones a few yrs back... hopefully it works out the same

TexanSam
04-26-2008, 08:31 PM
If your team is making the playoffs, winning divisions, or winning championships, no.

If your best season is 8-8 and you have finished last 5 out of 6 seasons, then yes, our 1st round pick should be able to make an instant impact.

I would have to disagree with this. I don't expect the Texans to draft a player who will start from day one just because we've finished 8-8 and last in our division 5 out of 6 years. Would it be nice to have a corner or RB who would start immediately and do well? Absolutely. But if the Texans think that Duane Brown will in time be a better LT than Jenkins will be a CB, even if Jenkins would immediately start and Brown won't then you have to draft Duane.

YoungTexanFan
04-26-2008, 08:33 PM
In all fairness to Brown, Spencer wasn't expected to win the starting job so early his rookie season. I would like to see him compete in camp, but it will be interesting if he lines up across from Groves of Jacksonville now. I seriously have doubts about how quickly Brown will pick up our system. He struggled when facing complex defenses, and the NFL does not feature "cake" systems. I think he will have to be eased into a role, and we should completely expect Salam to start the season at LT. Hopefully, this allows us to put Spencer at RG where I've been screaming for him to play since he was a prospect.

J-Russ
04-26-2008, 08:33 PM
First off, he was drafted by Rick Smith. Second, we have the best o-line coach here. 3rd, Kubiak knows offense. All three guys have an eye for talent.Therefore....

Kubiak/Smith/Gibbs >>>> everyone here.

J-Russ
04-26-2008, 08:35 PM
Oh btw, I bet SWT have never ever seen him play before. Not saying I have, but of course the people who drafted him had.

CloakNNNdagger
04-26-2008, 08:37 PM
ARMS with LEGS to match.............and a FACE that says it all.

We wanted NASTY........We got NASTY

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/images/0424_duanebrown_230x182.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1044/1117097307_095dfe677f.jpg

J-Russ
04-26-2008, 08:37 PM
^^^

what a stud muffin!

TexansSeminole
04-26-2008, 08:43 PM
They like him for the people he has played against and being successful in doing so. He also apparently has nice athletic ability. Hey if he produces I am all for the pick.

Leahmic223
04-26-2008, 08:45 PM
They like him for the people he has played against and being successful in doing so. He also apparently has nice athletic ability. Hey if he produces I am all for the pick.

Yeah Kubes mentioned he played against Chris Long, does any one know how he did? I think if he did well against Long, a guy that has no quit and is a hell of a DE prospect, then he probably will be a good LT for us.

J-Russ
04-26-2008, 08:46 PM
Strengths:

Good size and bulk with long arms...Excellent athleticism...Light on his feet...Very quick and moves well....Has terrific balance and agility...Able to get to the second level...Does a nice job in pass pro...Offers some versatility...Still has some upside.

Weaknesses:

Is not real strong or physical...May be a bit of a 'tweener...Plays too tall and does not bend his knees well...Raw and not a great technician...Isn't stout at the point of attack...Gets a marginal push..Lacks a killer instinct...Not a fit for every scheme.

Notes:

Began his Hokie career at tight end...Played right and left tackle during his college career and could also project inside to guard at the pro level..Finesse type whose best fit will likely come in a zone blocking scheme...Developmental prospect and a Workout Warrior with some very intriguing physical tools...Similar to Brandon Frye.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ot/duanebrown.html

YoungTexanFan
04-26-2008, 08:47 PM

Not trying to bash or be a buzz-kill, but he gave up 8.5 sacks in a system that was not a pass oriented system.

Hardcore Texan
04-26-2008, 08:48 PM

Damn!! He's got that look like, just F with me and see what happens.

run-david-run
04-26-2008, 08:48 PM

So a franchise best record does not ignite the fan base? Winning is the goal here. If we wanted to "ignite the fan base" they would have taken VY or Reggie. Obviously, we are trying to build a complete team, not a Fantasy Football one.

ObsiWan
04-26-2008, 08:59 PM
they had 8 OT's going in the 1st? i missed that

Almost.
We picked the number 7 OT.
Jake Long - #1 - Dolphins
Ryan Clady - #12 - Broncos
Chris Williams - #14 - Bears
Brandon Albert - #15 - Chiefs (I'm not counting him)
Gosder Cherilus - #17 - Lions
Jeff Otah - #19 - Steelers
Sam Baker - #21 - Falcons
Duane Brown - #28 - Texans

im sick of fans thinking they know more than the coaches.. SWT and others haven't even seen the guy play and hes saying its a bad pick. thats retarded.

reggie had the hype.. we took mario
winston had the hype at #33.. we took demeco ryans

etc

hype means sh1t when it comes to the draft

Excellent points. If Gibbs handpicked the guy, he must have something on the ball.

Texans Horror
04-26-2008, 09:01 PM
For about five years now I've been begging for the Texans to take a LT in the first round. It may have been a reach and by no means a sexy pick, but I'll take an o-line anchor in the first round...about time they finally came around to it.

It will be interesting to see him start for the Texans. I expect Salaam to be working with him throughout training camps and bringing him up to speed. As much as the talk is of him as a project, I don't think he'll ride the pine.

GuerillaBlack
04-26-2008, 09:01 PM
So a franchise best record does not ignite the fan base? Winning is the goal here. If we wanted to "ignite the fan base" they would have taken VY or Reggie. Obviously, we are trying to build a complete team, not a Fantasy Football one.
Mario Williams ignited the fanbase. That was a good pick from the beginning. He was on the radar. A guy like Brown is going to take time to build up and the Texas MUST be successful.

kastofsna
04-26-2008, 09:02 PM
btw, if this was really Gibbs' guy, then they probably zeroed in on him. now would you rather have them take him at 18 or try and move down and get some picks AND get the guy they want. to Gibbs, Smith, etc, they just pulled a helluva deal.

ObsiWan
Quote:
Strengths:

Good size and bulk with long arms...Excellent athleticism...Light on his feet...Very quick and moves well....Has terrific balance and agility...Able to get to the second level...Does a nice job in pass pro...Offers some versatility...Still has some upside.

Weaknesses:

Is not real strong or physical...May be a bit of a 'tweener...Plays too tall and does not bend his knees well...Raw and not a great technician...Isn't stout at the point of attack...Gets a marginal push..Lacks a killer instinct...Not a fit for every scheme.

Notes:

Began his Hokie career at tight end...Played right and left tackle during his college career and could also project inside to guard at the pro level..Finesse type whose best fit will likely come in a zone blocking scheme...Developmental prospect and a Workout Warrior with some very intriguing physical tools...Similar to Brandon Frye.
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/ot/duanebrown.html

There's your answer to why he was picked right there!
'Nuff said!

Htownsportsfan
I hope this was not already posted but I have read so much my damn eyes are starting to cross!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2008/draft/players/5535.html

BIOGRAPHY: Former tight end who moved to offensive tackle as a sophomore then started the next three seasons. All-Conference selection after his junior and senior campaigns. Used on both the left and right side.

POSITIVES: Athletic college tackle who's at his best in confined quarters. Blocks with a wide base, shows good knee-bend, and effective with his hands. Jolts opponents with a violent hand-punch, stays square, and seals the edge with good body positioning. Gets out to the second level and annihilates linebackers. Patient in pass protection, can adjust to opponents, and keeps his feet moving. Does enough to ride defenders from their angle of attack.

NEGATIVES: Lacks top lateral blocking range. At times lazy with his hands.

ANALYSIS: Brown is a well-built blocker who has displayed a variety of skills the past three years. He offers potential in a zone blocking scheme, yet he could also thrive in a power-running offense when he physically matures.

beerlover
04-26-2008, 09:06 PM
I hope this was not already posted but I have read so much my damn eyes are starting to cross!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2008/draft/players/5535.html

BIOGRAPHY: Former tight end who moved to offensive tackle as a sophomore then started the next three seasons. All-Conference selection after his junior and senior campaigns. Used on both the left and right side.

POSITIVES: Athletic college tackle who's at his best in confined quarters. Blocks with a wide base, shows good knee-bend, and effective with his hands. Jolts opponents with a violent hand-punch, stays square, and seals the edge with good body positioning. Gets out to the second level and annihilates linebackers. Patient in pass protection, can adjust to opponents, and keeps his feet moving. Does enough to ride defenders from their angle of attack.

NEGATIVES: Lacks top lateral blocking range. At times lazy with his hands.

ANALYSIS: Brown is a well-built blocker who has displayed a variety of skills the past three years. He offers potential in a zone blocking scheme, yet he could also thrive in a power-running offense when he physically matures.

his slide step is excellent which flies in the face of lacking lateral range, cause thats excatly what a slide step accomplishes is lateral recovery range.

edo783
04-26-2008, 09:06 PM

Dude, you get any closer to me with that microphone and you will get a microphone up your backside!

Htownsportsfan
04-26-2008, 09:07 PM
Mario Williams ignited the fanbase. That was a good pick from the beginning. He was on the radar. A guy like Brown is going to take time to build up and the Texas MUST be successful.

Thats revisionist history! Iginited the fan base, more like tha fan base wanted to ignite reliant stadium in protest. Sure there were fans that support the drafting of Mario but tha majority claimed they knew better than Kubiak et al just like this year.

Texans Horror
04-26-2008, 09:08 PM
1st rounder (Brown) - Pitts - Meyers - Weary(?) - Winston

Nice lineup. I'm curious about that right guard spot.

Note: both starting tackles used to play tight end.

beerlover
btw, if this was really Gibbs' guy, then they probably zeroed in on him. now would you rather have them take him at 18 or try and move down and get some picks AND get the guy they want. to Gibbs, Smith, etc, they just pulled a helluva deal.

I'm sure they did the best they could but as irrational fans of course we want more :shades:

edo783
Football Futures write-up

Duane Brown OT 65 308 Virginia Tech
By: Robert Davis
Brown signed on with the Hokies as a tight end. He redshirted his first year in the program, then caught three passes for 64 yards and a touchdown in his first season on the field. He was moved to offensive tackle before the 2005 season, and moved into the starting lineup at right tackle. Hes been a starter at tackle since.

Brown is a very good athlete, and has a lot of upside because of his natural ability. He was a tight end just two years ago, so he has the natural athleticism, quickness, and lateral agility to be a quality pass protector in the NFL. Brown has been a solid performer on the field, but it is the upside that entices teams.

This is just his third season on the offensive line, so he is definitely a work in progress. He is relying on his talent and intensity right now because of his inexperience. He lacks consistency on the field, and may need time to develop before he steps on to the field. Brown will also need to continue to get stronger in the NFL to develop a more well rounded game.

Duane Brown has a lot of upside, and that may cause him to be taken earlier than his on field performance has shown to date. The natural gifts he has project very well to the left side in the NFL, and everyone is looking for a left tackle that can keep the quarterback standing.

Just highlighted a couple of key points.

GuerillaBlack
04-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Thats revisionist history! Iginited the fan base, more like tha fan base wanted to ignite reliant stadium in protest. Sure there were fans that support the drafting of Mario but tha majority claimed they knew better than Kubiak et al just like this year.
I didn't. I liked the Mario pick. This pick...I don't like, but will give it a try. I'm not as upset as I was earlier when it was made.

Playoffs
04-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Poor draft value management on Smith, this guy could have been taken lower as he is not a fit for most NFL offenses.

We know he can coach, but I don't know how many O-lineman Gibbs has drafted?

I guess we'll never know, but I hate the idea of Arkansas Jerry & the Arlington County Criminals stepping in ahead of us on CB Jenkins.

We'll see if Brown works out....I'm fairly optimistic at this point he won't bust. Also, didn't McClain highlight Brown a while back as the pick?

An aside: getting tired of hearing Charlie Casserly taking full credit for Mario when we know Mr. McNair took Bush's name off the table (character) and Kubiak nixed Vince.

J-Russ
04-26-2008, 09:10 PM

Read earlier in this thread that he was one of three linemen targeted by Smith. Glad he made this trade, considering the situation we were in; williams and albert being off the board. We needed a talented LT and we got it.

Htownsportsfan
04-26-2008, 09:12 PM
I could not help but post this. This was in 2006 after he had begun playing tackle but surely he was not as big as he is now.

Covering on special teams!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/10/AR2006111001461.html

GP
04-26-2008, 09:15 PM
Being a guy who bashes Schaub for being anointed as "the man," it's interesting to see so many doing the same thing: Bitching about someone they think is a "reach."

LOL. Whatsa' matter fellas? This is KUBIAK'S guy. He's the man. Deal with it.

One Olineman does not a team make. I think he'll fit in well with the other linemen, and Gibbs (to me) ties it all together.

Kubiak drafts well in the 3rd round. Wait for it....

Texans Horror
04-26-2008, 09:17 PM
Hey, LT has been the big problem of the offense since Bocelli. Nice to see it finally given the attention it deserves. Like others are saying, there were three tackles the Texans could take and fit their scheme. The other two were gone (and they probably had a good idea they'd be gone, too), so taking the best LT they can get for that position is great.

I understand why people are piffed. He's not bpa at #18 or #26. This was a need selection. Unfortunately, as the team gets shored up, needs will time-to-time override bpa's. I hope they look more at bpa though when they get to select again.