PDA

View Full Version : Texans Tackle Tidbits

kastofsna
04-23-2008, 05:27 PM
this is from PFW.
The way we hear it, Boston College OT Gosder Cherilus has climbed ahead of Pittsburgh’s Jeff Otah on a number of draft boards and could potentially be drafted in the top 15. Questions about Otah’s maturity and work habits have raised concerns and could potentially push him down several slots. However, at the worst, he does not figure to get past the Eagles, who could still consider trading up to land him. He is a big, physical mauler who plays with power and perfectly fits the profile of Reid's prototype offensive lineman.
The greatest need of the Texans, at No. 18, is a left tackle, and Vanderbilt’s Chris Williams could be available. The way we hear it, concerns about the variations in the size of Williams’ arms and legs, with one being shorter than the opposite limb, could affect his status. Furthermore, multiple team sources say he has been removed from consideration on their draft boards for medical reasons, which could play into the Texans’ favor.

Errant Hothy
04-23-2008, 05:30 PM
I assume the medical issues would be his back...or am I thinking of somebody else?

edo783
04-23-2008, 08:34 PM
I assume the medical issues would be his back...or am I thinking of somebody else?

I suspect that is it, but I have yet to see anything substantive from anyone credible. Just rumor at this point.

mussop
04-23-2008, 09:13 PM
Gosder could be that surprise pick that surprises us every year.

maddogmrb
04-23-2008, 09:19 PM
I'm having a hard time getting excited about our #1 pick this year. If Chris Williams isn't there and we have a GOOD opportunity to trade down for more picks, I say go for it. What say you?
:texflag:

swtbound07
04-23-2008, 09:30 PM
I'm having a hard time getting excited about our #1 pick this year. If Chris Williams isn't there and we have a GOOD opportunity to trade down for more picks, I say go for it. What say you?
:texflag:

I say instead of arguing over whether or not we should take the 3rd or 4th best corner, or the 7th or 8th best LT, we should take the consensus best FS in Kenny Phillips and not look back, and FINALLY seal a position thats cursed us since Matt Stevens laced em up.

Vinny
04-23-2008, 09:35 PM
:texflag:draft a cornerback or Mayo if all the LTs are gone.

Khari
04-23-2008, 09:35 PM
draft a cornerback or Mayo if all the LTs are gone.

Mayo :thinking:

kastofsna
04-23-2008, 10:00 PM
I say instead of arguing over whether or not we should take the 3rd or 4th best corner, or the 7th or 8th best LT, we should take the consensus best FS in Kenny Phillips and not look back, and FINALLY seal a position thats cursed us since Matt Stevens laced em up.
he's the best FS in the draft because it's one of the weakest draft classes in a while at safety. plenty of great corners and tackles though.

Htownsportsfan
04-23-2008, 10:00 PM
Mayo :thinking:

Jerod Mayo LB out of TN. Big and fast, ran a 4.55 at 242 lbs he is a beast. He will be a great LB once he gets moved back outside into his more natural position.

Goldensilence
04-23-2008, 10:36 PM

Wouldn't mind it but I think we have to face this staff isn't putting a high emphasis on a ball hawking FS. The fact they tendered CC says enough to me. At this point I'm hoping Brandon Harrison can come in and make an impact this year.

texasguy346
04-23-2008, 10:38 PM
draft a cornerback or Mayo if all the LTs are gone.

Mayo does seem to fit the mold of high-character guys that the Texans tend to target in the draft.

Maddict5
04-24-2008, 06:37 AM
Jerod Mayo LB out of TN. Big and fast, ran a 4.55 at 242 lbs he is a beast. He will be a great LB once he gets moved back outside into his more natural position.

yes Jerod Mayo.. INSIDE LB out of TEN which is what i believe he was referring to with the :thinking: smiley

PapaL
04-24-2008, 06:44 AM
We have had "some" success with ILBs from the SEC.

Polo
04-24-2008, 08:38 AM
I'd take Mayo, Stewart or one of the top corners....

If all else fails though Mayo should be there....

swtbound07
04-24-2008, 03:30 PM
he's the best FS in the draft because it's one of the weakest draft classes in a while at safety. plenty of great corners and tackles though.

haven't seen any. You can have leodis and aqib and gosder....i'd rather have phillips

badboy
04-24-2008, 04:01 PM
The fact that one of Williams leg is shorter could be advantageous if it is the left leg. I mean he has to slide block mostly to the left and if that leg is shorter it is sorta going down hill & may help him get a jump on some of the quicker DEs. I mean if I was his agent I'd use that in negotiations.

Fox
04-24-2008, 04:06 PM
The fact that one of Williams leg is shorter could be advantageous if it is the left leg. I mean he has to slide block mostly to the left and if that leg is shorter it is sorta going down hill & may help him get a jump on some of the quicker DEs. I mean if I was his agent I'd use that in negotiations.

Sounds like something I'd expect to hear coming out of Drew Rosenhaus's mouth.