PDA

View Full Version : Seahawks Release Alexander

HoustonFrog
04-22-2008, 04:07 PM
This is a rumor to reality thread. Heard it from my bro who got it off NFL Network. It was expected pending his physical but I don't have the exact report yet

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3361271

Seattle Seahawks running back Shaun Alexander is having a physical Tuesday that could lead to his release.

The team is withholding any announcement until it receives the results of the physical.

Alexander has been healing from wrist surgery, but he could visit other teams until the wrist has healed. In free agency, Seattle signed Julius Jones and T.J. Duckett to replace him. Before a release, a player normally has an exit physical. Once he passes that physical, the team can terminate his contract.

Alexander, who is scheduled to make $4.475 million this season, is signed through the 2010 season. The Seahawks have two possible ways of releasing him. They could simply terminate his contract. If they do that, they would have a cap loss of $125,000.

The Seahawks could also release him under a June 2 designation in which they would put save the $4.475 million salary on the 2008 cap and then be responsible for $4.6 million on their 2009 cap. With more than $12 million of cap room remaining, the Seahawks may just simply give him his outright release and take the cap hits this season.

Errant Hothy
04-22-2008, 04:12 PM
Just to get it out of the way:
SIGN HIM UP!

:sarcasm:

HoustonFrog
04-22-2008, 04:17 PM
SIGN HIM UP!

LOL..I was waiting. I mean we could have 3 Top backs that are oft injured.

Polo
04-22-2008, 04:21 PM
I think it's atleast worth pondering by our F.O. depending on how much he wants

Fox
04-22-2008, 04:33 PM

He could be a valuable addition to our, as b0ng so eloquently stated, ****ty RB voltron. :splits:

Dallas_Texan
04-22-2008, 04:44 PM
No thanks. Not for what I'm sure he'll want. We have enough fragile guys. Let's draft an OT and keep our current geisers healthy!

Texan_Bill
04-22-2008, 04:58 PM
SIGN HIM UP!

lol: Ya know it's coming, but

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Errant Hothy
04-22-2008, 04:59 PM

Except while Brown and Green maybe be oft injuried they are not soft like Alexander.

drewmar74
04-22-2008, 05:14 PM
Except while Brown and Green maybe be oft injuried they are not soft like Alexander.

Exactly. If we wanted someone who was soft at the point of attack we could just resign Dayne for cheaper.

J-Russ
04-22-2008, 10:45 PM
The curse! It Lives!!!!

Anyone care to guess where Vince will be in two years? :)

Wolf
04-22-2008, 11:33 PM

if true I smell

http://guidesmedia.ign.com/guides/552160/images/wishbone1.jpg

:lol: :sarcasm:

now were could we get a running QB? :hmmm:

Goldensilence
04-23-2008, 09:58 AM
Suddenly I am thinking a trade back might be possible. If Seattle does drop Alexander we're sitting at 18 with Stewart available and with all the top Tackles(REALLY hope one falls) off the board possibly it comes down to CB and RB. It's very possible we'll take Stewart and I think the Seahawks know that. Might be able to get them to bite on the trade.

Brando
04-23-2008, 10:00 AM
I wonder if Ray Rhodes will have any impact on if we try and sign this guy????

drewmar74
04-23-2008, 10:54 AM
Suddenly I am thinking a trade back might be possible. If Seattle does drop Alexander we're sitting at 18 with Stewart available and with all the top Tackles(REALLY hope one falls) off the board possibly it comes down to CB and RB. It's very possible we'll take Stewart and I think the Seahawks know that. Might be able to get them to bite on the trade.

I've also seen Keith Rivers' name bandied about at 18 so I don't think its a lock that we'd take Stewart. But I'm all for trading back and maybe picking up a third.

As an aside, you really don't think that Seattle is considering going into the season with Mo Morris, TJ Duckett, and Julius Jones at RB do you? Of course, that's not much worse than Ahman Green, Ron Dayne, and Darius Walker / Adimnobe Echemandu / Jameel Cook that we trotted out last year.

BigBull17
04-23-2008, 11:29 AM
He could be a valuable addition to our, as b0ng so eloquently stated, ****ty RB voltron. :splits:

He is a product of the system. He all but vanished when Hutch went to Minnisota. Overrated with a capitol O.

Ole Miss Texan
04-23-2008, 11:31 AM
They could surprise us and take Matt Forte with their pick...

With that said, they have other needs than just RB.

Vinny
04-23-2008, 11:59 AM
I'd love to see him here if he came at the right price.

Texans34Life
04-24-2008, 11:12 AM
http://www.kffl.com

Texans | Team may show interest in Alexander
Wed, 23 Apr 2008 21:03:44 -0700

John Murphy, of Yahoo! Sports, reports the Houston Texans may show interest in free-agent RB Shaun Alexander (Seahawks) depending on how the 2008 NFL Draft plays out.

Polo
04-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Good.

Wolfiegrrl
04-24-2008, 11:25 AM
Living in the Pacific Northwest I've gotten every opportunity to watch Shaun Alexander. His MVP season, he ran behind a line that could block and make holes for him. After he got hurt (and got his big paycheck) it seemed that he lost his incentive to play football. Now that he has to shop himself to another team, he could be willing to play hard once again. Don't count on it though.

nunusguy
04-24-2008, 11:56 AM
"backs are a dime a dozen"

adam
04-25-2008, 10:24 AM
It's always been my belief that Shaun Alexander was made to look better than he really was by an overwhelmingly talented offensive line and a dangerous passing game. I don't think he would be worth a plug nickle here in Houston. The last thing we need is more "depth" at RB.