PDA

View Full Version : Ocho Cinco wants out immediatley

TEXANS84
04-16-2008, 02:05 PM
"I want to make this very clear,'' Johnson said Wednesday. "I don't know where he got that. I made no assertion to Carson that I would do that. Nothing has changed from what I've been saying for three months that I don't want to play for the Bengals.''

"I want to be traded before the draft, and if that doesn't happen, I want to be traded as soon as possible,'' Johnson said. "I don't intend on reporting to anything.''

Wednesday, the Pro Bowl wide receiver said he was surprised by Palmer's comments about his possibly reporting to mandatory camp.

"I wish he would stay out of my business,'' Johnson said.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3349761

Polo
04-16-2008, 02:06 PM
ummmm....

Johnson said he would report in an interview on ESPN...

DiehardChris
04-16-2008, 02:08 PM
Wow. What a cancer this guy turned out to be after so many swore up and down that he wasn't the same kind of personality as Moss/T.O.

WesmanTexanfan
04-16-2008, 02:09 PM
I dont think i want chad johnson, I thought his "stunts" were funny but I dont want to see anyone in a Texans uniform pullin that crap...

stingray
04-16-2008, 02:10 PM
I was wrong about him. He's a moron. I don't think Cinci's got a choice now. Get what you can for him and cut your losses.

TexanSam
04-16-2008, 02:12 PM
What a moron. I hope no one trades for him and the Bengals don't allow him to play this season

Hervoyel
04-16-2008, 02:17 PM
I was absolutely right about him from the moment he started "just having fun" and "being himself". He is and always has been trouble and I think he's looking to be "The T.O." when Terrell Owens retires. He's the heir apparent to the sphincter throne.

I don't want this guy in our division much less on our team. I don't care if his presence would tear apart the Titans, Jags, or Colts I still don't think it would be worth it. We'd have to put up with his antics twice a year and that's two times too many.

ChampionTexan
04-16-2008, 02:17 PM
What a moron. I hope no one trades for him and the Bengals don't allow him to play this season

Johnson and the Bengals deserve each other.

chicagotexan2
04-16-2008, 02:27 PM
This could potentially hurt his h.o.f. chances. And he ruined a perfectly good Hay Yellow jacket.

Drew_Smoke
04-16-2008, 02:32 PM
This could potentially hurt his h.o.f. chances. And he ruined a perfectly good Hay Yellow jacket.

LOL...They should trade him to the Raiders.

I wouldn't have ocho joto, but I'd take Pacman.

Ole Miss Texan
04-16-2008, 02:33 PM
Dallas has two 1st rounders and a potential need at WR, they may be able to deal one of them and address another need with the other... :stirpot:

Just think if they end up trading a 1st for WR Chad Johnson, and a later pick for CB Pacman Jones. They would have filled arguably two of their biggest needs with pro-bowl calibre players (yet both headaches).

What would be really scary is if they could get by with a 2nd rounder for Chad Johnson and then trade both their 1sts to Oakland or KC to draft Darren McFadden. Romo's weapons would be McFadden, Barber, Owens, and Johnson?? Not fair.

I don't think Atlanta wants any more headaches but they have a plethora of draft picks... something like 87 picks on the 1st day :) JK

Double Barrel
04-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Wow. What a cancer this guy turned out to be after so many swore up and down that he wasn't the same kind of personality as Moss/T.O.

No doubt about it.

I was absolutely right about him from the moment he started "just having fun" and "being himself". He is and always has been trouble and I think he's looking to be "The T.O." when Terrell Owens retires. He's the heir apparent to the sphincter throne.

I don't want this guy in our division much less on our team. I don't care if his presence would tear apart the Titans, Jags, or Colts I still don't think it would be worth it. We'd have to put up with his antics twice a year and that's two times too many.

I was one of the few, like Herv, that saw through his 'entertainment' charade and didn't buy it for a second (threads in this forum show that I was chastised quite a bit for this perspective, too). Signs like that are indicative of a very selfish person, who places themselves ahead and above the team. That kind of individual is a lockerroom cancer, regardless of talent level.

jaayteetx
04-16-2008, 02:39 PM
Dallas has two 1st rounders and a potential need at WR, they may be able to deal one of them and address another need with the other... :stirpot:

Just think if they end up trading a 1st for WR Chad Johnson, and a later pick for CB Pacman Jones. They would have filled arguably two of their biggest needs with pro-bowl calibre players (yet both headaches).

What would be really scary is if they could get by with a 2nd rounder for Chad Johnson and then trade both their 1sts to Oakland or KC to draft Darren McFadden. Romo's weapons would be McFadden, Barber, Owens, and Johnson?? Not fair.

I don't think Atlanta wants any more headaches but they have a plethora of draft picks... something like 87 picks on the 1st day :) JK

Dallas can get anybody they want, they'll still choke in the playoffs.

TexanSam
04-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Dallas can get anybody they want, they'll still choke in the playoffs.

If they have Terrell Owens, Chad Johnson, and Pacman Jones on their roster, they'll probably end up crashing the team bus or something and the entire team will be on the injury list for the season.

hobie
04-16-2008, 02:42 PM
The thing is, there will always be a team that goes after guys like these thinking they are the team that can fix the problem...Look at Moss in NE, they did with him, at least for 1 year, now we shall see what happens this year if he reverts back to his old self..
You better have a very strong QB that is the LEADER of his team to handle that, and there are not too many of those types left that would be able to keep him in check...Would have loved to see him try that in the days of Marino, Elway, Montana...

Hardcore Texan
04-16-2008, 02:42 PM

I agree, what a tool. This guy is a moron, and the public has elevated him like he is some great personality we have the luxury of getting to watch. Puupuupuu..pllleaaase!

Hit him in the pocket book, it's the only thing he freaking understands. Some people will never get it, but hit them in the pocket book and see what happens.

Come on Chad, put your money where you mouth is, when you start getting fined every day I bet your punk ass shows up for work. If not, it will make for better viewing, it's a win win. I just wish all the sportscasters would stop kissing his butt.

HOU-TEX
04-16-2008, 02:43 PM
What a johnson.

Dread-Head
04-16-2008, 02:46 PM
LOL...They should trade him to the Raiders.

I wouldn't have ocho joto, but I'd take Pacman.

SCREW the Raiders. The Texans could use him!

Second Honeymoon
04-16-2008, 02:47 PM
I would have no problem with the Texans trading their 3rd Round pick for CJ. Johnson and Johnson has a nice ring to it.

Too bad the guy is selfish and kind of an ingrate because he is a good player and is entertaining. He also is a dedicated guy in the offseason and in the film room but his act is wearing tired and now that he has crossed Palmer, I just don't see them keeping him around.

bah007
04-16-2008, 03:22 PM
No doubt about it.

I was one of the few, like Herv, that saw through his 'entertainment' charade and didn't buy it for a second (threads in this forum show that I was chastised quite a bit for this perspective, too). Signs like that are indicative of a very selfish person, who places themselves ahead and above the team. That kind of individual is a lockerroom cancer, regardless of talent level.

As was I.

It's fun to sit back & watch now that everybody is seeing he is what I've said he is.

TEXANS84
04-16-2008, 03:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgNREzBAnY4

GuerillaBlack
04-16-2008, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't mind having Chad Johnson on the Texans though. Trade a third and WR Anderson for him (I'll probably get blasted for this). We could have Andre Johnson, Chad Johnson, Andre Davis, Kevin Walter, and Jacoby Jones as our WR's.

Hardcore Texan
04-16-2008, 04:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgNREzBAnY4

Was that interview after this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrXNwwOlZ30&NR=1

TEXANS84
04-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Was that interview after this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrXNwwOlZ30&NR=1

Bodden, Browns...yup.

PapaL
04-16-2008, 05:08 PM

Yup. Uhuh. I agree.

eriadoc
04-16-2008, 05:18 PM
I wouldn't mind having Chad Johnson on the Texans though. Trade a third and WR Anderson for him (I'll probably get blasted for this). We could have Andre Johnson, Chad Johnson, Andre Davis, Kevin Walter, and Jacoby Jones as our WR's.

Run and Shoot!

:thinking:

Texan_Bill
04-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Run and Shoot!

:thinking:

NO!!!!

http://www.lafferty.ca/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/fail-24.jpg

kastofsna
04-16-2008, 05:30 PM
hope Miami gets him.

Texaninlild
04-16-2008, 05:37 PM

I don't think the Bengals would do that. They might take a 2nd and Andre Davis, but would you give that up? Chad has a fairly bloated salary and a tendency to fly off the handle.:thinking:

GuerillaBlack
04-16-2008, 05:39 PM
I would do a third and Davis or Walter now that I think about it. Cincy has to get some value.

Texan_Bill
04-16-2008, 05:44 PM
:hides: :hides: :hides: :hides: :hides: I'd take him...in a heartbeat!

http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/explosion.gif

Texan_Bill
04-16-2008, 05:50 PM
:hides: :hides: :hides: :hides: :hides:
I'd take him...in a heartbeat!

:::in Beavis voice:::

Are you threatening me?

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m249/PL00m_Lift/Office_Space_asskick.jpg

bah007
04-16-2008, 06:08 PM
Chad may be talented, but do you think he would be willing to play second fiddle to AJ if he came here? I sure don't.

AJ is better, so he would be the #1. Chad would hate that.

Keep him away from us.

Dread-Head
04-16-2008, 07:46 PM
hope Miami gets him.

Yeah...who knows with him the fish might be able to get 2 Wins next season! Ohhhh! Goodnight EVERYBODY DRIVE SAFELY!:thisbig:

kastofsna
04-16-2008, 08:32 PM
well we all know one of them will be against Houston. what about the other

The Pencil Neck
04-16-2008, 08:34 PM

Jets.

TexanAddict
04-16-2008, 09:53 PM
Wouldn't be surprised to see a three team trade where Cincy sends Ocho to the Titans, Pac Man goes to Dallas, and Dallas sends Tank Johnson to the Bengals. Kind of a troubled player merry-go-round. It even makes sense for each team involved.

ATRAIN
04-17-2008, 08:29 AM
I hope the Cowgirls waste a pick on him. Imagine them with 3 headcases on the team. Pacman, TO, Ocho-cinco.

Texan_Bill
04-17-2008, 08:43 AM

Easy there killer................. Texans own the phish. 3-0.

HOU-TEX
04-17-2008, 08:47 AM
hope Miami gets him.

Who's going to throw to him? Beck's not going to make the kind of throws Carson did. IMO, he's wanting to leave the 3rd best QB in the league. Unless the Colts or Pats want him, he'll be a dumbass to leave Cincy.

I guess he could go to the Rams (isn't Martz back with them?). Good offense and bad defense.....hmmm, that sounds familiar.....Cincy.

He's just a flat out dumbass or he's thumping his last brain cell around.

ATRAIN
04-17-2008, 08:57 AM
Most of you guys hate Ocho-cinco, but would you be willing to give up lets say a 4th or 5th rounder for him?

Double Barrel
04-17-2008, 10:12 AM
I don't think his talent is worth the potential disruption in the locker room. Never underestimate chemistry on a team, and that can be both bad and good.

Texan_Bill
04-17-2008, 10:19 AM
Most of you guys hate Ocho-cinco, but would you be willing to give up lets say a 4th or 5th rounder for him?

NOPE!! I would not want him - period. Even if he was free. I don't think he could handle being second fiddle to AJ, so it wouldn't take long before he became a cancer in the Texans locker room.

Brando
04-17-2008, 10:33 AM

We have bigger fish to fry the week before we play you so we will see what happens. :cowboy1:

Brando
04-17-2008, 10:34 AM
I hope the Cowgirls waste a pick on him. Imagine them with 3 headcases on the team. Pacman, TO, Ocho-cinco.

Weapons of mass destruction(mentally anyway) in one locker room could be very dangerous.

Corrosion
04-17-2008, 10:53 AM

It wouldnt cost a #1 to get Ocho Stinko ..... If you look at the past players who demanded trades and or refused to play for the team holding their contracts its pretty plain to see that teams dont have to pay premium picks to get them .... TO and Moss are good examples .

He could probably be had (pending he sticks to his guns and holds out) for a 4th or 5th rounder .

Texan_Bill
04-17-2008, 11:10 AM
It wouldnt cost a #1 to get Ocho Stinko .....

I thought Ocho Stinko was reserved for HWSRN...? :um:

HOU-TEX
04-17-2008, 11:13 AM
I thought Ocho Stinko was reserved for HWSRN...? :um:

Nah, HWSRN nickname has changed to 'Mittens' since his departure from Houston. Nobody from Houston cares how bad he stinks now. We just like to make fun of his goofy ass. :)

Texan_Bill
04-17-2008, 11:15 AM
Nah, HWSRN nickname has changed to 'Mittens' since his departure from Houston. Nobody from Houston cares how bad he stinks now. We just like to make fun of his goofy ass. :)

LMAO... I suppose you have a point.

Corrosion
04-17-2008, 11:17 AM

When i saw him actually play with those gloves on ....... :spit:

bah007
04-17-2008, 12:18 PM

No.

I wouldn't take him for free.

He's not worth the trouble.

I actually think that a lot of the credit he gets should be attributed to Houshmandzadeh, who is one of the most underrated WRs in the league.

Hardcore Texan
04-17-2008, 01:21 PM
No.

I wouldn't take him for free.

He's not worth the trouble.

I actually think that a lot of the credit he gets should be attributed to Houshmandzadeh, who is one of the most underrated WRs in the league.

I agree his production on the field does not cancel out his destruction in the locker room.

I seriously hope the Bengals don't trade him, he holds out the entire year, and gets fined every single day. That MIGHT change his attitude.

Polo
04-17-2008, 01:37 PM
I doubt Chad Johnson has been as much of a cancer as you guys are implying that he has been.

Texan_Bill
04-17-2008, 01:40 PM
I doubt Chad Johnson has been as much of a cancer as you guys are implying that he has been.

I dunno, but I would think taking a swing at your head coach would make a pretty good case for being a cancer...

bah007
04-17-2008, 01:41 PM
I dunno, but I would think taking a swing at your head coach would make a pretty good case for being a cancer...

Especially when you consider that they were winning at halftime (when that event took place).

He was just pissed off cuz he hadn't been a part of the offense up to that point.

Polo
04-17-2008, 01:42 PM

Obviously his head coach didn't think so because he still wanted the guy back and probably still does.

Either Marvin Lewis underestimated what a "canerous player" can do to team chemistry....or....He didn't think Johnson's antics were as disturbing as many paint them to be....

HOU-TEX
04-17-2008, 01:45 PM
Especially when you consider that they were winning at halftime (when that event took place).

He was just pissed off cuz he hadn't been a part of the offense up to that point.

Or reaming Carson a new one on the sidelines for not getting the ball to him.

Taking swings at the coach + Sideline arguements = Team player? :thinking:

kastofsna
04-17-2008, 01:45 PM
this cancer nonsense is ridiculous. players don't care about that stuff as much as people want them to, they just want to get paid and play well, period. give me the best players.

bah007
04-17-2008, 01:47 PM
this cancer nonsense is ridiculous. players don't care about that stuff as much as people want them to, they just want to get paid and play well, period. give me the best players.

It does matter. Maybe not as much as people want it to, but it does.

When you are trying to win, it's a little bit of a distraction when you have a douche like Chad in the huddle that's all about me, me, me.

Polo
04-17-2008, 01:50 PM

I'm with ya on this one...

I think it's much ado about nuttin'....

HOU-TEX
04-17-2008, 01:52 PM

I bet y'all would be great coaches. :rolleyes:

Polo
04-17-2008, 01:55 PM
I bet y'all would be great coaches. :rolleyes:

Good coaches have to deal with stuff like that all the time...

If you go and cut every player who has a "personality problem" or a "big ego" you'd probably be left with a small talentless roster...

HOU-TEX
04-17-2008, 02:03 PM

If you go and cut every player who has a "personality problem" or a "big ego" you'd probably be left with a small talentless roster...

You're correct. They deal with it. Meaning, they take care of the situation before it becomes an issue in the locker room. Unlike Lewis who has been passive of every situation the Bengals have had. From the looks of it, the FO had to step in and get rid of Henry after the 20th arrest.

I guess TO's antics in Philly didn't bother the team at all, huh?

To each his own and all that jazz, but IMO y'all are back asswards. :cool:

Polo
04-17-2008, 02:08 PM
I guess TO's antics in Philly didn't bother the team at all, huh?

Glad you brought that up...

I never said it was impossible for players to become a distraction to a team...

I said calling Chad Johnson a cancer has been overblown...

TO's doing fine in Dallas...

Texan_Bill
04-17-2008, 02:12 PM

:hmmm: you're winning the game, but you have to complain about not getting the ball..... :user:

Obviously his head coach didn't think so because he still wanted the guy back and probably still does.

Either Marvin Lewis underestimated what a "canerous player" can do to team chemistry....or....He didn't think Johnson's antics were as disturbing as many paint them to be....

It could also be that irrespective of his antics, Marvin Lewis is no dummy and knows that Johnson is still among the top 5 or receivers in the game.

*EDIT*

See also: HOU-TEX's post above.......

Texan_Bill
04-17-2008, 02:14 PM
TO's doing fine in Dallas...

For now.... But it's like waiting for the next episode of someone's favorite soap opera...

Specnatz
04-17-2008, 02:27 PM

Tell me when the last time a team won the Super Bowl when they had a player acting like this during the season? Giants had no distractions when they won the Patriots none, they did have the Moss problem last year right before the Super Bowl that worked out wonderfully for the. Colts? Do not see any issues there. Steelers? Nope no issues there.

What was the Good Defensive guy who just left the Bungals? He had such lovely parting words for the team and the atmosphere.

You guys are right team chenistry does not mean a damn thing when it comes to winning.

Polo
04-17-2008, 02:29 PM
Giants had no distractions when they won the Patriots none, they did have the Moss problem last year right before the Super Bowl that worked out wonderfully for the. Colts? Do not see any issues there. Steelers? Nope no issues there.

My Bad...

I didn't realize you had won 4 Superbowls in 4 years...

Being inside those locker rooms must have been neato and outta sight...

Specnatz
04-17-2008, 02:32 PM
My Bad...

I didn't realize you had won 4 Superbowls in 4 years...

Yeah like anything is really hush hush anymore with all the media coverage.

Please stop trying to be a smartass because I am third generation and there is no way you could even compete.

Polo
04-17-2008, 02:33 PM
Please stop trying to be a smartass because I am third generation and there is no way you could even compete.

Didn't know this was a competition.

I'll gracefully bow out. You win. :lion:

kastofsna
04-17-2008, 05:28 PM
these "cancers" are a result of losing and bad play. it's not the other way around.

StarStruck
04-17-2008, 07:31 PM

Ya see I ain't complaining.:cool: I recall all the talk about how TO would destroy the Cowboys locker room within a year. Heck I saw him at some awards show with a tailor made white suit on with a huge blue star on the back. I guess the cancer is in remission.

Double Barrel
04-18-2008, 09:30 AM
these "cancers" are a result of losing and bad play. it's not the other way around.

Polo has something to reply:

And you know because which team did you play for?

How can you make a case for it not hurting the team when the results show the team losing? It seems like a case could be made either way, that maybe they are losing because the team chemistry is whack with a cancer in their midst.

Y'all guys excuse selfish behavior because of talent. Some of us have higher standards and put character high on the list. CJ has is a low character/high talent player, so it will take a team strong enough to deal with his ego to cope with him.

The Texans are not strong enough of a team right now for this distraction and idiocy.

Texan_Bill
04-18-2008, 09:32 AM

That's right. We don't care if someone on this team is turd or not. We don't care if they are a big distraction. Just because the fans think this guy is a cancer, so what!?!? We're still gettin' paid..

Signed,

Donovan McNabb and the rest of the Philadelphia Eagles locker room...

HOU-TEX
04-18-2008, 09:38 AM
Ya see I ain't complaining.:cool: I recall all the talk about how TO would destroy the Cowboys locker room within a year. Heck I saw him at some awards show with a tailor made white suit on with a huge blue star on the back. I guess the cancer is in remission.

IMO, if Parcels didn't leave TO would've went off. IIRC, didn't he pull some shennanagans in Camp before the 06 season? His daily stationary bike scene due to a supposed pulled hammy.

If the media has to ask questions and write about a particular player on a daily basis, it's a distraction to the coach and team. :cool:

Polo
04-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Y'all guys excuse selfish behavior because of talent. Some of us have higher standards and put character high on the list. CJ has is a low character/high talent player, so it will take a team strong enough to deal with his ego to cope with him.

Can't speak for Kast, but I'm not excusing nor condoning any type of that behavior...

My point was that it's not as big a deal as some make it out to be...

The common theme seems to be that Chad Johnson is dividing a locker room in Cincy, so therefor he's the type of player that will divide locker rooms period...AKA he's a "cancer"....

I disagree with that sentiment...

Never said I wanted him as a Texan either...

Texan_Bill
04-18-2008, 09:52 AM
IMO, if Parcels didn't leave TO would've went off. IIRC, didn't he pull some shennanagans in Camp before the 06 season? His daily stationary bike scene due to a supposed pulled hammy.

If the media has to ask questions and write about a particular player on a daily basis, it's a distraction to the coach and team. :cool:

Something like this???

http://www.theipinionsjournal.com/uploaded_images/tod-730128.jpg

HOU-TEX
04-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Something like this???

LMAO! Yeah, that's not a distraction at all. Like a little 5 year old class clown thriving on the attention. What an asshat!

El Tejano
04-18-2008, 10:25 AM
Doesn't all of this make you realize that Andre Johnson is the best of the best.

HOU-TEX
04-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Doesn't all of this make you realize that Andre Johnson is the best of the best.

Yes and I'm ecstatic he is a Texan. :texflag:

Double Barrel
04-18-2008, 10:32 AM
Can't speak for Kast, but I'm not excusing nor condoning any type of that behavior...

My point was that it's not as big a deal as some make it out to be...

The common theme seems to be that Chad Johnson is dividing a locker room in Cincy, so therefor he's the type of player that will divide locker rooms period...AKA he's a "cancer"....

I disagree with that sentiment...

Never said I wanted him as a Texan either...

You could very well be right, but since none of us are there, we could be right, too.

But the fact remains that it is causing disruption for the team, especially when CJ refuses to participate in practices and is making a public spectacle of himself and constantly dissin the team. That cannot be a good thing, regardless if you think it is a minor or major situation.

El Tejano mentioned Andre, and we don't hear a peep out of the Texans camp. They've got their nose to the grindstone and are focussed, as a team, on getting better. That cannot be said for Cincy right now.

Polo
04-18-2008, 10:36 AM
But the fact remains that it is causing disruption for the team, especially when CJ refuses to participate in practices and is making a public spectacle of himself and constantly dissin the team. That cannot be a good thing, regardless if you think it is a minor or major situation.

No doubt his antics are NOW disrupting the team...I haven't refuted that either...

The conversation earlier was geared towards his previous acts and how he's been a cancer all along...

I just don't agree with that sentiment...

But you're right...No one was there and that's why I didn't say y'all were wrong...Just basically said I disagree...

Señor Stan
04-18-2008, 10:44 AM
Dissing Team Management and demanding a trade will make for a terrible season.

Sincerely,

Kobe Bryant

Polo
04-18-2008, 10:46 AM
Dissing Team Management and demanding a trade will make for a terrible season.

Sincerely,

Kobe Bryant

Even the season that T.O. blew up on McNabb on the sidelines they made it to the Superbowl...

Double Barrel
04-18-2008, 10:47 AM
No doubt his antics are NOW disrupting the team...I haven't refuted that either...

The conversation earlier was geared towards his previous acts and how he's been a cancer all along...

I just don't agree with that sentiment...

But you're right...No one was there and that's why I didn't say y'all were wrong...Just basically said I disagree...

What does it say about the character of a player who signs a long term deal for lots of money, only to demand a trade after just a year into that deal? Just curious.

As far as being a cancer in previous seasons, we can only speculate. But, a person does not develop low character overnight. The side he is showing now has always been there, just not for the public to see (his little sideline temper tantrums not withstanding).

But currently, this is not looking good:

Houshmandzadeh anticipates 'problem' if Johnson not dealt (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3351518)

"If he's not traded, it's going to be a problem," Houshmandzadeh told ESPN's Bob Holtzman.

Houshmandzadeh told ESPN he talked with Johnson and quarterback Carson Palmer on Wednesday after Johnson demanded to be traded by Cincinnati.

Houshmandzadeh said Johnson told him he wasn't playing. But Houshmandzadeh said: "I think he'll eventually show up, but then you have to worry about how much of a distraction he'll be," Houshmandzadeh told ESPN.

Johnson said Wednesday that he wants out of Cincinnati as fast as possible and he doesn't plan on reporting for any future Bengals functions -- mandatory or voluntary.

Polo
04-18-2008, 10:54 AM
I don't disagree that Johnson probably has now become a distraction.

But:

1) TJ isn't the end all be all distraction authority. He could be wrong. Chad could come back, re-focus, make amends with his teammates and they could move a long and win some games.

2) If I were playing with a friend who I knew wanted to be traded I'd probably say the same thing. If I know my buddy wants to be traded, I'd probably say things that would convince management to move him as well.

I saw that interview and as I stated, I don't dispute the fact that Chad is now a distraction. A cancer, I'd argue against...but a possible distraction...definitely....

Specnatz
04-18-2008, 11:00 AM
Even the season that T.O. blew up on McNabb on the sidelines they made it to the Superbowl...

Actually it was the year after that he became a huge problem, year #2 in Philly. and he was asked to stay away from the team half way into the season.

Texan_Bill
04-18-2008, 11:18 AM

What happened the following season after the Super Bowl? You know, the season where TO really blew up and only played in 7 games.. If memory serves me correctly, the Eagles went either 5-11 or 4-12.....

*EDIT*

Oooops Spec.. Did not see your post above.

Polo
04-18-2008, 11:41 AM
What happened the following season after the Super Bowl? You know, the season where TO really blew up and only played in 7 games.. If memory serves me correctly, the Eagles went either 5-11 or 4-12.....

The man risked his career by playing on that injured ankle...

Not many players have the heart nor courage to do that..

The man wanted to be compensated..

I don't agree with his means, but I'm not gonna stand on the outside of that situation and cast stones...

Many players in the Eagles own locker room openly supported TO...

He hasn't cost allas any games by being a distraction so to call the man cancerous is a reach IMO...

Double Barrel
04-18-2008, 12:14 PM
I don't disagree that Johnson probably has now become a distraction.

But:

1) TJ isn't the end all be all distraction authority. He could be wrong. Chad could come back, re-focus, make amends with his teammates and they could move a long and win some games.

2) If I were playing with a friend who I knew wanted to be traded I'd probably say the same thing. If I know my buddy wants to be traded, I'd probably say things that would convince management to move him as well.

I saw that interview and as I stated, I don't dispute the fact that Chad is now a distraction. A cancer, I'd argue against...but a possible distraction...definitely....

Fair enough. It definitely comes down to perception before this current situation.

But I still have to wonder if he's showing his true colors now. I have not seen too many professional football players act in such a manner, both on and off the field. JMO

Texan_Bill
04-18-2008, 12:19 PM
The man risked his career by playing on that injured ankle...

Not many players have the heart nor courage to do that..

The man wanted to be compensated..

I don't agree with his means, but I'm not gonna stand on the outside of that situation and cast stones...

He hasn't cost allas any games by being a distraction so to call the man cancerous is a reach IMO...

You see, the thing is... HE signed a 7 year contract worth $49 million - AFTER screwing over Baltimore IIRC.

Live up to your contract and quit being a BOOB...

edo783
04-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Something like this???

Now correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't he a professional, highly trained and skilled athlete? Isn't that a stationary bike? WTF does he need a helmet on for then? DORK.

Texan_Bill
04-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Now correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't he a professional, highly trained and skilled athlete? Isn't that a stationary bike? WTF does he need a helmet on for then? DORK.

If'n he falls off the stationary bike, the helmet will prevent him from hurting himself, and that would be a distraction... :smiliedance:

bah007
04-18-2008, 01:38 PM

This was the worst part of the scenario, IMO. That's why the team was beginning to get so divided. You had McNabb's guys vs. TO's guys.

If this thing keeps dragging out for the Bengals then I think that at some point, players are going to get sick of it.

Then you are going to have Chad's guys vs. the guys that are sick of Chad.

The best solution is to give Chad what he wants, but I don't see how the Bengals are going to get equal value in a trade.

Texan_Bill
04-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Interviewer: "There's no 'I' in team"
Leon: "yeah... there ain't no 'we' either"

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BkIh1R5utY

Polo
04-18-2008, 02:55 PM
This was the worst part of the scenario, IMO. That's why the team was beginning to get so divided. You had McNabb's guys vs. TO's guys.

If this thing keeps dragging out for the Bengals then I think that at some point, players are going to get sick of it.

Then you are going to have Chad's guys vs. the guys that are sick of Chad.

The best solution is to give Chad what he wants, but I don't see how the Bengals are going to get equal value in a trade.

McNabb really had no guys as far as I could tell...

Seems like most supported him for the simple fact that he was their QB...

El Tejano
04-18-2008, 03:19 PM
Well I just hope that this all turns out in Ocho's favor and Cincy fires Marvin Lewis as a result of it so we can hire Marvin Lewis to be our DC.

Houston TexanUK
04-20-2008, 10:01 AM
Am I the only one who remembers that CJ only scored TD's in 4 games.... He had a 3 TD game and a couple of 2's. Thats 1 in 4 games. For the money he is currently being paid, that is poor. Plain and simple. When he is good, he is one of the best in the league, but when he is in one of his moods, he is poor.

The man is a cancer. Anyone who argues that is blind to the situation. Whoever your head coach is, he is your boss. End of. You work for him. He does not work for you. If I took a swipe at my boss, I would be fired so quickly you wouldnt believe.. And I more than likely would never be hired in my field of work, no matter how good at my job I am... And I am good. He has undermined his Quarterback for not passing to him. Im Sorry, but OC stands for Ocho Cinco, not Offensive Co-Ordinator. Take a leaf out of TO's and Moss' books. Grow up. You are 30 years old and acting like a 13 year old. They learned that shutting up, doing what is asked of you, and most importantly, doing your JOB, can lead to more success than bitching and moaning at everyone else but yourself.

Bengals cant cut him for salary cap reasons. I read somewhere that it would shred apart their salary cap to a state where it would be hard for them to recover any time soon. He would be accountable for $8.5m on this years cap if he is traded. $8.5m of your salary cap gone on a player who doesnt play for you. Thy have reportedly turned down 2 first day draft picks, believed to be 1st and 3rd round picks. I would think that that offer is from the Redskins or Eagles, as they are both in the market for a WR.

[/Rant]

HoustonFrog
04-22-2008, 12:00 PM
Seems like Cincy is willing to let him waste his career and not take the picks being offered. They should get rid of him for first rounders.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3358557

How serious are the Cincinnati Bengals about not giving in to Chad Johnson's trade demands?

Serious enough to swat away an offer from the Washington Redskins that could have netted the Bengals two first-round draft picks, team and league sources said.

The Redskins offered its first-round pick, No. 21 overall, and a conditional third-rounder in 2009 that could escalate to a first rounder if Johnson and the Redskins hit certain performance levels, the sources said.

It was not the first time the Redskins approached the Bengals about a deal, but it was the first significant proposal.

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis says the disgruntled receiver should keep his word and sit out the season.

"I've stated our case with Chad," Lewis said. "He has a contract through 2011. He's stated without an opportunity to go to a different team and a new contract, he wasn't going to play. I think he's a man of his word and says he's not going to play, so don't play."

The Bengals have not only rejected the Redskins, but two other NFC East suitors -- the Dallas Cowboys and Philadelphia Eagles -- have been informed that there has been no change in the team's position that Johnson will not be traded.

The Bengals have noted to those suitors that Johnson has been the "second-highest paid receiver" in the NFL during the past three years, indignant about suggestions that Johnson also wants a new contract, the sources said.

Trading Johnson also would mean Cincinnati would take an $8 million salary-cap hit, but that amount could be split over the next two years. Additionally, as one owner who wished to remain anonymous told ESPN.com, "There's nothing wrong with dead money. It's cash already paid and it's cash back in your pocket that you don't have to spend, especially with the [high] amount of everyone's salary cap these days."

Vinny
04-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Seems like Cincy is willing to let him waste his career and not take the picks being offered. They should get rid of him for first rounders.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3358557
seems like bengalesque logic to pass on a couple of first round picks for the chad. Their fans just gotta luv their mensa front office year in, year out.

HoustonFrog
04-22-2008, 12:07 PM
seems like bengalesque logic to pass on a couple of first round picks for the chad. Their fans just gotta luv their mensa front office year in, year out.

Exactly. So according to Lewis, he should keep his word, sit out through his contract and then they get nothing for him instead of taking #1 picks for a disgruntled poison on your team?

bah007
04-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Maybe they are trying to send a message to all the players in the league like Chad...?

Plus, they sucked with him, they probably won't be much worse without him.

HoustonFrog
04-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Maybe they are trying to send a message to all the players in the league like Chad...?

Plus, they sucked with him, they probably won't be much worse without him.

Exactly, so take the picks and you still suck with TJ and whomever else.

Second Honeymoon
04-22-2008, 01:48 PM
The Bengals are complete morons. A pox on their homes. They should thank their lucky stars that they would even get a 1st Round pick much less a 3rd that could turn into a 1st. Just like Jared Allen, why give up picks for a guy your going to need to sign to a new contract? The Bengals are basically getting the price that teams get for signing away their franchise player and they still balk at the move. Complete morons.

Chad is worth a late 1st Rounder at best due to the fact that he would have to be resigned to be made happy not to mention the sideshow and 'me' act that comes with him. Without Palmer, Chad is just another guy with a big mouth....and I can't wait to see him paired up with a scrub QB and realize what most NFL WRs have to deal with. CJ needs Palmer more than Palmer needs CJ. No doubt. Didn't CJ disappear for over half the season last year anyway? right after that lame act with the HOF jacket. I used to like CJ's act but now its tired, lame, juvenile and completely counterproductive. If I was the Bengals I would send him to Minnesota/Chicago/Buffalo/Kansas City out of spite. He doesnt know how good he has it but he will soon. The Bengals are still the Bengals but at least you have Palmer throwing to you....screw CJ

Brando
04-22-2008, 01:50 PM
If Cinci does not make that trade they are insane. I think Marvin is making Chad sweat it a little. No way the Bengals are that screwed up.
On the other hand maybe they are.

Second Honeymoon
04-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Exactly. So according to Lewis, he should keep his word, sit out through his contract and then they get nothing for him instead of taking #1 picks for a disgruntled poison on your team?

Bengals logic. It's more important for Brown to be a cantankerous old geezer than it is to try and help your team win football games and keep the locker room happy and united. What a joke. I understand ownership not wanting the inmates to run the asylum, but isn't it a bit late for that? the Bengals are already embarassing and out of control considering the Bengals recent off field/on field behavior. Just embarassing.

Brown needs to pull his head out and deal the guy. He is obviously getting decent value especially when you consider the fact the player is demanding trade, disgruntled, and would be a huge distraction moving forward into the 2008 season. Maybe Brown just likes publicity, albeit bad publicity. 'Oh the Bengals are on ESPN again, hon. CJ just opened his mouth again. Hooray for publicity'

Double Barrel
04-22-2008, 02:17 PM
Bengals coach Marvin Lewis says the disgruntled receiver should keep his word and sit out the season.

I love it. Stupid on the Bengals for passing up a deal, but I have to hand it to them if they follow through and sit his ass.

CJ a HoF? yeah, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

bah007
04-22-2008, 03:41 PM
I love it. Stupid on the Bengals for passing up a deal, but I have to hand it to them if they follow through and sit his ass.

This is what I want to see happen:

The Bengals keep their word & refuse to trade Chad.

So he doesn't report to camp & then refuses to play.

The Bengals start off the season well & Chad decides he wants to play again. The Bengals say no & now the situation is completely reversed. Chad wants back & they won't let him.

infantrycak
04-22-2008, 03:46 PM
The Bengals start off the season well & Chad decides he wants to play again. The Bengals say no & now the situation is completely reversed. Chad wants back & they won't let him.

They'd have a hard time doing that if he didn't do anything during the season. He has a right to report by week 10 and have the season count. They would need to come up with something like the Eagles did on conduct detrimental to the team. An arbitrator would probably rule against them on not reporting alone being sufficient to suspend him.

Specnatz
04-22-2008, 03:50 PM
They'd have a hard time doing that if he didn't do anything during the season. He has a right to report by week 10 and have the season count. They would need to come up with something like the Eagles did on conduct detrimental to the team. An arbitrator would probably rule against them on not reporting alone being sufficient to suspend him.

Yes but the eagles were allowd to suspend him for 5 games before the release were they not?

nunusguy
04-22-2008, 04:44 PM

Those are also my thoughts.
It's unusual to see a team do this, but it is the Bengals. Still in an odd sort of
way I can appreciate what they seem to be doing here. I know I enjoy it
anytime one of these NFL stars behaves as childesly as Johnson does and
then the HC puts him in his place by calling his bluff.
As good as Johnson is, his talent is dwarfed by the size of his ego.

infantrycak
04-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Yes but the eagles were allowd to suspend him for 5 games before the release were they not?

Yeah, but Owens was doing all sorts of stuff like criticizing McNabb in the SB, trying to play in the NBA, a threatened hold out and then more comments about McNabb and the owner. They suspended him 4 games and then deactivated him. That's what I was getting at, to suspend him and not have to pay him he would need to have some ongoing misconduct on top of just not showing up--of course he may not be able to restrain himself. The Bengals could deactivate him, but would have to pay him for the time he showed up and it would still count as a year in the league and on his contract.

Lucky
04-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Trading Johnson also would mean Cincinnati would take an $8 million salary-cap hit, but that amount could be split over the next two years.
I didn't believe that to be the case. I thought that a team had the option of taking the cap hit over 2 years if the player was released. But if traded, the unallocated bonus money becomes due on the cap immediately.

infantrycak
04-22-2008, 08:04 PM
I didn't believe that to be the case. I thought that a team had the option of taking the cap hit over 2 years if the player was released. But if traded, the unallocated bonus money becomes due on the cap immediately.

I saw that asserted on PFT and I think they are wrong.

swtbound07
04-22-2008, 08:07 PM

hell, if he wants to rejoin the team, let him....and let him run as a gunner on special teams for the rest of the year...never let him see an offensive play again. he don't have to see the field to be on the team

eriadoc
04-22-2008, 08:12 PM
Passing up that trade is a bad business move, but the idealist in me would love to see a football team take a principled stand against a loudmouth jackass and put his career on ice for a couple years. It won't happen, of course, because there are tens of millions of dollars involved. Nonetheless, I'd like to see it someday.

Silver Oak
04-23-2008, 10:09 AM
I havent been following this as closely as some, but good lord! A first rounder and another probable 1st rounder for a really good (not great) WR?

I don't get it...unless Cincy thinks someone will sweeten the pot even more? I don't think it's a case of the team sticking to their principles.

Wolf
05-10-2008, 10:52 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bengals-johnsonsendorsements&prov=ap&type=lgns

CINCINNATI (AP)—Chad Johnson’s dustup with the Cincinnati Bengals hasn’t hurt his multimillion-dollar endorsement deals so far, but his long-term prospects could suffer if things get ugly.

The high-profile receiver is threatening to sit out the season if the Bengals don’t trade him. The Bengals have refused and called his bluff, telling him to go ahead and stay away if that’s how he feels.

Sitting out would cost Johnson his $3 million salary for 2008. It also would force advertisers to scramble.

“He’s a football player,” said Kevin George, vice president and general manager for Unilever’s deodorant division. “We want him playing football. He gets more coverage when he’s on the field.”

Lately, most of the coverage has revolved around his unhappiness in Cincinnati and his insistence that he won’t play for the Bengals despite his lucrative contract through 2010. Johnson feels he’s been unfairly blamed as a factor in a 7-9 finish last season.

adam
05-11-2008, 02:02 PM
What baffles me about all of this is that, in comparison to the image that the media and Johnson himself have created, Johnson is not a particularly dominating player. The guy is a great player, certainly above par, but Johnson is not half of what the media and his own ego has built him up to be. The guy is a pompous ********* and isn't worth the head ache. That said, send him to Tennessee. They get the headache and all of the Vince Young sympathizers will no longer be able to blame the receiving corp for his failures.

GuerillaBlack
05-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Hell no to making the Titans better.

ChampionTexan
05-11-2008, 02:55 PM
What baffles me about all of this is that, in comparison to the image that the media and Johnson himself have created, Johnson is not a particularly dominating player. The guy is a great player, certainly above par, but Johnson is not half of what the media and his own ego has built him up to be. The guy is a pompous ********* and isn't worth the head ache. That said, send him to Tennessee. They get the headache and all of the Vince Young sympathizers will no longer be able to blame the receiving corp for his failures.

Agree with most everything you say except the send him to Tennessee part. You said yourself he's a "Great" player (perhaps a smidge less than great in actuality), and I don't see helping out a division rival.

As much of an cancer as he currently is and can be at any time, I think if he gets traded, and gets a contract extension he'll probably quiet down for a year or two ala T.O. If he's going to be productive for somebody, let's not go overboard and say we want him to be used to prove VY's flaws. As far as I'm concerned if VY performs sub-par for the next 10 years, and the only reason for it is because Bud and the Boys never bother to get him any receivers, I'm more than okay with that.

The Dream
05-11-2008, 04:27 PM
yes.................send him to VY....teach those titans a lesson they'll never forget!!!