PDA

View Full Version : Chronic: General rules out Otah and Cherilus as draft picks for the Texans

Texans34Life
04-11-2008, 02:04 PM
http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2008/04/on_the_texans_swc_ms_150_and_t.html

Now, if you're like me, you're excited about the draft. This is the best time of the offseason.

The Texans have the 18th pick. While they continue to bring in players they're interested in and plan to visit a few more, I'm feeling more and more like they'll draft a left tackle in the first round unless the five best prospects are gone. And don't rule that out.

So many teams picking before them also need left tackles. Two I'm fairly certain the Texans won't draft are Pitt's Jeff Otah, who's a 340-pound mauler more suited for right tackle, and Boston College's Gosder Cherilus, who most scouts think is better on the right side.

Based on as much information as I can gather from scouts I trust, the top-five left tackles at this point are Michigan's Jake Long, Boise State's Ryan Clady, Vanderbilt's Chris Williams, Virginia's Branden Albert and Virginia Tech's Duane Brown.

Albert, who played guard in college, is projected at left tackle. He's been visiting a lot of teams, including the Texans, because coaches want to be sure he can make a difficult transition before they have to pay him millions. He played some left tackle in college, but he entered the offseason as the best prospect at guard - the only one guaranteed of going in the first round.

I thought there was no way the Texans would use their No. 1 pick on Albert, but now I'm not so sure. He's shooting up everyone's charts because of his size, athleticism and intelligence. The more teams watch him, the more they like him. I was wrong about him not fitting into what new assistant head coach Alex Gibbs is doing with his linemen.

I still think Williams would be a better fit. He has the same strengths as Albert, and he has more experience at the position. I don't think Williams will be available when the Texans pick. I think he'll be the third tackle taken behind Long and Clady. It looks like Albert will be fourth.

Brown is another left tackle who's stock is on the rise. He's a former tight end with good movement skills. He's only played tackle for three seasons, but his upside is tremendous.

The Texans' biggest need is cornerback. Troy's Leotis McKelvin and Tennessee State's Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie are the best prospects. After them, there's a logjam with South Florida's Mike Jenkins, Arizona's Antoine Cason, Virginia Tech's Brandon Flowers and Kansas' Aqib Talib. All could be taken in the first round, although Talib might slip because of recent stories about his off-the-field problems.

I don't think the Texans will use their No. 1 pick on a defensive end unless one they have rated really high falls into their laps. We know they need an edge rusher to play opposite Mario Williams in passing situations.

The four best ends Virginia's Chris Long, Ohio State's Vernon Gholston, Florida's Derrick Harvey and Clemson's Phillip Merling are projected as first-round picks. Long and Gholston definitely will be gone way before the Texans pick.

I also believe the Texans will draft a running back at some point like the fifth round. They might draft an outside linebacker and free safety. Based on what Gary Kubiak told me at the spring meetings, I imagine they'll try hard to sign an undrafted free agent quarterback as soon as the draft ends. He likes to have a young quarterback to try to develop.

beerlover
04-11-2008, 02:22 PM
McClain on damage control regarding Branden Albert, "I was wrong about him not fitting into what new assistant head coach Alex Gibbs is doing with his linemen". too late credibility shot to hell :cowboy1:

Corrosion
04-11-2008, 02:27 PM
McClain on damage control regarding Branden Albert, "I was wrong about him not fitting into what new assistant head coach Alex Gibbs is doing with his linemen". too late credibility shot to hell :cowboy1:

The Chronicle really needs to find someone to replace that windbag ... they could replace him with a 9 year old and probably pick up a few readers .

badboy
04-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Stewart or Mike Jenkins or Williams in first. 2nd (I'm so happy, so very happy to get a second so don't let me down & not get one) Forte or Charles or Collins or Duane Brown or Baker.

threetoedpete
04-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Well it fits the history . Board full of them and we wiff.... One more time.