PDA

View Full Version : Travis Johnson

J-Russ
04-10-2008, 04:41 PM
What do you guys think of him, and his recent performance this past season? Do you guys consider him a starter or back-up? Do you think we need to get another DT and replace him? What do you guys think about his future with the Texans? Does he have the strength and ability to play as LDT?

Do you guys think he lived up to his draft selection thus far?

POSITIVES: Explosive run-stuffing defensive lineman with good upside for the next level. Bends his knees getting leverage on opponents, quick off the snap and stout at the point. Immediately reads or diagnoses the action, displays solid hand technique getting off blocks and redirects to the ballcarrier. Gets a good amount of momentum going up the field and tough to slow down. Slides off opponents to the inside, has the ability to immediately alter his angle of attack and wraps up tackling. Works hard to make a play.

NEGATIVES: Lacks top bulk and upper body strength for the inside. Marginal skills as a pass rusher.

ANALYSIS: Rebounding off a poor junior campaign, Johnson got his game back on track last season and progressed off of what was a terrific sophomore year. The court case of .03 seemed to drag on him as a junior and was not as highly ranked as he should have been coming into the season. Stands to add bulk and strength to his frame yet a solid tackle for a conventional defense and a legitimate first round choice.

or was he another bust drafted by Casserly?

HJam72
04-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Starter quality? Yes

Worth the pick we spent on him? Not yet. Maybe not ever, but he's worth keeping.

Get ANOTHER DT? NO!!!

He's coming along, and he'll be fine. We've spent enough money and draft picks on DTs. Between him and Okoye, at least one of them should be on the field at all times. DT is no longer a need, and we've been spending on it while ignoring too many other things for way too long.

TEXANRED
04-10-2008, 04:50 PM
I think that Travis Johnson is a poor mans A.O. He lacks size and strength to play the 2 gap.

He does not, nor has he ever, fit the defensive system the Texans run. Originally drafted to play nose and now plays the 2. To be that player he would need to be able to dominate the LOS and have a commanding presence. Neither of which he does.

He was mis matched in Houston from the start.

TEXANRED
04-10-2008, 04:57 PM
Starter quality? Yes

Worth the pick we spent on him? Not yet. Maybe not ever, but he's worth keeping.

Get ANOTHER DT? NO!!!

He's coming along, and he'll be fine. We've spent enough money and draft picks on DTs. Between him and Okoye, at least one of them should be on the field at all times. DT is no longer a need, and we've been spending on it while ignoring too many other things for way too long.

This is not a fair evaluation. When we drafted Babin and Johnson we played a different scheme with the 34.

The front 7 that we had for the 34 did not transition over to the 43. So basically we needed to draft a new front 7. We have only had two drafts as a 43 and now we are going into our third year. We still need a 2 gap DT and one more DE. We don't have either.

HJam72
04-10-2008, 05:02 PM
This is not a fair evaluation. When we drafted Babin and Johnson we played a different scheme with the 34.

The front 7 that we had for the 34 did not transition over to the 43. So basically we needed to draft a new front 7. We have only had two drafts as a 43 and now we are going into our third year. We still need a 2 gap DT and one more DE. We don't have either.

I don't think that's really necessary; but, if we're really going to do that, we need to trade Johnson. If he's really worth more in the 3-4, somebody should want him and be willing to give something valuable in return. No more DT in the first round every freaking year, and then just sending the old ones out the pasture. What a waste.

TEXANRED
04-10-2008, 05:10 PM
I don't think that's really necessary; but, if we're really going to do that, we need to trade Johnson. If he's really worth more in the 3-4, somebody should want him and be willing to give something valuable in return. No more DT in the first round every freaking year, and then just sending the old ones out the pasture. What a waste.

I don't think Johnson is worth either. Johnson is average to below average. He is a 1 gap player attempting to play a 2 gap position.

Johnson does not have a spot on this team and is just baby sitting his current position until we can find someone else.

Fox
04-10-2008, 05:17 PM
TJ's marginal starter status, IMO. He'll make some solid plays every now and then but you really don't notice him very often. Not a difference maker. We could've done better with that selection, but at least he's still contributing.

HJam72
04-10-2008, 05:36 PM
I presume that Okoye is more of a 4-3 DT; yet Okoye has more trouble against the run. I'm sure he'll get better, but it seems to me that all this trying to get the perfect "fit" players is just overkill in terms of the amount of attention spent on one little area of the team. I think we need to just take advantage of the players' strengths. Not every 4-3 (or 3-4) D has to be completely, cookie-cutter prototypical to be good.

Mostly, I'm just sick of this team focusing on DT for half a decade, and still aren't happy with it. We're going to have a whole team of nothing but defensive tackles and strong safeties.

aj.
04-10-2008, 05:40 PM
Travis changed his number from 75 which he wore in honor of Deacon Jones coming out of college, to 99 in honor of clubhouse lawyer extrarodinaire and new era TJ role model Robaire Smith. That's about sums him up for me. That along with that little 'eff Trent Green tirade in front of the cameras while Coop was trying to shut him up. Mediocre player on average who has his moments. Just another classic remnant of the riverboat gambler's wheelin' and dealin.'

TheRealJoker
04-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Ideally TJ is the # 3 DT coming in to relieve Amobi. However, we dont have the luxury of having anyone better at the moment to take his spot. Kinda like the situation with CC Brown, you'd like to improve there but you have yet to find someone who can beat him out of the job.

Also kind of like Morlon Greenwood, he's not a terrible player like some make him out to be but he is overpaid (and in this case overvalued).

TheRealJoker
04-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Also, he has undisputably had the least fanfare of any # 1 pick in franchise history.

Could be good that he's not mentioned alongside Carr yet

But it could be bad that he hasn't made an impact similar to AJ, Dunta, and Mario as well...

Hervoyel
04-10-2008, 09:09 PM
The thing about TJ to me is that he's just not consistently a very good player and he was a waste of the pick. The Texans routinely bring in street free agents that play at or above TJ's level. He's got strength, size, and speed enough to be good but his motor is a problem. His heart is a problem. He's not the player he should have been at that spot in the first round.

Personally I wish the Texans could find somebody who wanted him. I'd take a 2 for him in an instant and consider a 3 or hell even a 4.

3's and 4's selected by Kubiak and Smith have a better chance of success than Charlie Casserly did with his 1's. I'd love to see the Texans try to move TJ. Maybe they could convince someone that he just needs a change of scenary. Find a 3-4 team that thinks maybe he could still do the NT thing for them. Use his Trent Green incident to try and draw comparisons to Haynesworth. Surely Matt Millen is stupid enough to give up a 3 for Travis Johnson right?

Think about it this way. Last year TJ really picked up the pace and what happened? He climbed all the way up to maybe the 3rd best DT on the team. That's not good enough.

Polo
04-10-2008, 09:14 PM
TJ was our best DT last yr.

mexican_texan
04-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Also, he has undisputably had the least fanfare of any # 1 pick in franchise history.

Could be good that he's not mentioned alongside Carr yet

But it could be bad that he hasn't made an impact similar to AJ, Dunta, and Mario as well...
cough vehicle cough

TEXANRED
04-10-2008, 09:31 PM
I presume that Okoye is more of a 4-3 DT; yet Okoye has more trouble against the run. I'm sure he'll get better, but it seems to me that all this trying to get the perfect "fit" players is just overkill in terms of the amount of attention spent on one little area of the team. I think we need to just take advantage of the players' strengths. Not every 4-3 (or 3-4) D has to be completely, cookie-cutter prototypical to be good.

Okoye is a one gap DT or also be referred to as a 1 technique DT, meaning that his assignment is one hole or one gap and will usually engage only one lineman. He is used more for pass rushing than he is for stopping the run.

Johnson plays the 2 gap or 2 technique and is also refereed to as the nose tackle. His job is to engage 2 lineman, fill 2 gaps, and keep the OL off of the LB's and take away the double team for the DE. A 2 gap is supposed to be big and strong and take up space. (See Henderson, Haynesworth) The 2 gap is the keystone to any defensive line.

Mostly, I'm just sick of this team focusing on DT for half a decade, and still aren't happy with it. We're going to have a whole team of nothing but defensive tackles and strong safeties.

Well as stated before the first two years of DL was drafting LB's to play DE and I still don't know why Johnson was ever drafted. That was a blunder on Capers/Casserly.

The DL is the heart and soul of any defense. Our defense goes the way of our DL so I am more than willing to let them get it right.

Hervoyel
04-10-2008, 09:34 PM
I disagree. I think he's a slug and that he was outplayed by both Maddox and Okoye. I think that was particularly true when one looks at the relative performance of all three players and takes into account their respective draft position and years of experience.

Yes he made more tackles than either Maddox or Okoye. If number of tackles was the only criteria for grading defensive linemen then TJ would have been our best DT last year. It's not and I liken his performance more to the Jay Foreman school of numbers than anything else.

That's just what I think though.

Fox
04-10-2008, 09:43 PM
I disagree. I think he's a slug and that he was outplayed by both Maddox and Okoye. I think that was particularly true when one looks at the relative performance of all three players and takes into account their respective draft position and years of experience.

Yes he made more tackles than either Maddox or Okoye. If number of tackles was the only criteria for grading defensive linemen then TJ would have been our best DT last year. It's not and I liken his performance more to the Jay Foreman school of numbers than anything else.

That's just what I think though.

I didn't notice Maddox much this year, which was kind of disappointing because I was pretty excited about his potential after 2006. Gotta root for a street FA who comes in and shows some ability. I guess only starting 3 games (2007) as opposed to 9 (2006) makes it a little harder to get noticed.

pappy
04-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Both Amobi and Travis are three tech pass rushing tackles and a normal 4-3 defense is supposed to have a three tech and a two gap . Travis needs to be a rotation guy with Amobi and we need to get a tackle to work with Maddox in rotation . Only time two three tech tackles are supposed to work together are when dime packages are called .

TheRealJoker
04-10-2008, 11:00 PM
cough vehicle cough

You must have misunderstood my post. TJ was the least publicized number 1 pick. The automobile you are referring to was the face of the franchise for the first 5 years of its existence.

TexanSam
04-10-2008, 11:06 PM
I think TJ needs to strap on his helmet better.

Polo
04-11-2008, 12:23 AM
TJ was our best DT last yr and it's really not even close.

He didn't register the sacks, but he was very active in both passing and running support...

Okoye hit a rookie wall (I think the kids a beast, just wasn't consistent)

I like Maddox too, but I just don't have enough of a sample size to say he was better than anyone....I think he's good, but to say he had a better yr than TJ is just hating...lol...J/K...kinda...

Polo
04-11-2008, 12:28 AM
And according to Jethro Franklin TJ is the man.

They don't want a big clogger at DT, they like what TJ brings...

Heard that outta the mans mouth...

Goldensilence
04-11-2008, 12:33 AM
The thing about TJ to me is that he's just not consistently a very good player and he was a waste of the pick. The Texans routinely bring in street free agents that play at or above TJ's level. He's got strength, size, and speed enough to be good but his motor is a problem. His heart is a problem. He's not the player he should have been at that spot in the first round.

Personally I wish the Texans could find somebody who wanted him. I'd take a 2 for him in an instant and consider a 3 or hell even a 4.

3's and 4's selected by Kubiak and Smith have a better chance of success than Charlie Casserly did with his 1's. I'd love to see the Texans try to move TJ. Maybe they could convince someone that he just needs a change of scenary. Find a 3-4 team that thinks maybe he could still do the NT thing for them. Use his Trent Green incident to try and draw comparisons to Haynesworth. Surely Matt Millen is stupid enough to give up a 3 for Travis Johnson right?

Think about it this way. Last year TJ really picked up the pace and what happened? He climbed all the way up to maybe the 3rd best DT on the team. That's not good enough.

Bengals are pretty desperate for DT help. Might be able to convince them he needs a change of scenery.

The Pencil Neck
04-11-2008, 01:40 AM
TJ was able to get his hands up and deflect 5 passes and cause a couple of interceptions. 41 tackles from the DT position isn't too bad. It's not great but it's not too far from the 50-55 that I'd like to see him get. We've definitely got other positions more in need of upgrading.

I mean, Warren Sapp (an old and broken version) got 50 tackles and 2 sacks. I'd like that sort of production from TJ.

TK_Gamer
04-11-2008, 02:20 AM
So now is every discussion about a player that someone doesnt like gonna turn into a "what do you think we can get for him?" discussion? We can't trade away half the team, sorry.

beerlover
04-11-2008, 03:34 AM
he needs to play smarter. good rotational tackle but not a starter. gives the Texans depth & thats all many 1st rd. picks ever end up being. I like the fact they where able to trade down & still get value (Winston) + pick but if TJ was their target they should have traded down again, kept stock piling picks then if they missed it wouldn't be so obvious :thisbig:

TEXANRED
04-11-2008, 07:05 AM
So now is every discussion about a player that someone doesnt like gonna turn into a "what do you think we can get for him?" discussion? We can't trade away half the team, sorry.

So what do you guys think we can get for Greenwood and CC Brown?

Whe should also try and move Green, we should at least be able to get a 6th round pick for him.

Maddict5
04-11-2008, 08:13 AM
Okoye is a one gap DT or also be referred to as a 1 technique DT, meaning that his assignment is one hole or one gap and will usually engage only one lineman. He is used more for pass rushing than he is for stopping the run.

like pappy said, you're a tad confused on your gaps... travis plays the 2 alright although he was projected as a 3 tech coming out (like amobi- who does play the 3).. a 1 tech is basically a NT in the 3-4 (i think)

i like travis.. he hasnt complained about being played out of position and despite being somewhat undersized to play the 2, has performed admirably and has done a good job in tying up blockers to let demeco do his thing.. not to mention he fires up the other guys and has a little edge to him

we're not trading him... nor do i want to

badboy
04-11-2008, 08:19 AM
TJ is one of the players I have identified to focus on this year. Kube's talk with him seemed to have positive results. I want him to cut down on his penalties and make another positive step forward. I think Mario's growth helped TJ last year and having a healthy Weaver should also do wonders for TJ. Having said that, I would take a 3 for him and weep for joy to get a 2. A comment on "trading half the team" game me a chuckle. Sage is the only player causing a ripple in trade discussion.

This is a make or break season for TJ.

infantrycak
04-11-2008, 08:33 AM
TJ was able to get his hands up and deflect 5 passes and cause a couple of interceptions.

he needs to play smarter.

Both very true statements. Folks miss how much TJ disrupts the passing lanes and it is a heads up recognition of if I am not going to get the QB I will disturb him. At the same time, he is an emotional player (which is good to a degree) who needs to learn and dedicate himself to his assignments.

cuppacoffee
04-11-2008, 10:38 AM
And according to Jethro Franklin TJ is the man.

They don't want a big clogger at DT, they like what TJ brings...

Heard that outta the mans mouth...

TJ was able to get his hands up and deflect 5 passes and cause a couple of interceptions. 41 tackles from the DT position isn't too bad. It's not great but it's not too far from the 50-55 that I'd like to see him get. We've definitely got other positions more in need of upgrading.

I mean, Warren Sapp (an old and broken version) got 50 tackles and 2 sacks. I'd like that sort of production from TJ.

like pappy said, you're a tad confused on your gaps... travis plays the 2 alright although he was projected as a 3 tech coming out (like amobi- who does play the 3).. a 1 tech is basically a NT in the 3-4 (i think)

i like travis.. he hasnt complained about being played out of position and despite being somewhat undersized to play the 2, has performed admirably and has done a good job in tying up blockers to let demeco do his thing.. not to mention he fires up the other guys and has a little edge to him

Both very true statements. Folks miss how much TJ disrupts the passing lanes and it is a heads up recognition of if I am not going to get the QB I will disturb him. At the same time, he is an emotional player (which is good to a degree) who needs to learn and dedicate himself to his assignments.

The only one I have seen on this team so far.

And I thought I was the only one here who appreciated TJ...:doot:

:coffee:

TEXANRED
04-11-2008, 11:36 AM

I have also heard or read somewhere or talked to people that call it a 1 tech, quick search in Wiki calls him the 3 or 4 tech and the nose 0 tech.

The linemen on the offensive line up a few feet away from each other. This leaves gaps between the linemen. These gaps are both lettered and numbered, as shown below. The gap between the guard and tackle is called the B gap. If you are a defensive tackle lined up in the B gap, but shifted over a bit towards the guard, you're called a 3-technique. If you were lined up in the same gap but shifted over a couple feet to line up on the tackle's shoulder, you would be a 4-technique. If you line up directly facing the center, you're called a nose tackle or a 0-technique.

Whatever the name for him this week A.O. is the pass rushing DT and Johnson plays the run stopper.

He shouldn't complain, he still has a job. Johnson has all the right tools to be a good DT but his time with the Texans has come and gone with the drafting of A.O.

If the Texans are going to continue to improve and compete for not only division titles but also championships, than we need to continue to upgrade positions, including Johnson's spot.

infantrycak
04-11-2008, 11:56 AM
The only one I have seen on this team so far.

And I thought I was the only one here who appreciated TJ...:doot:

:coffee:

I like TJ's emotion but I would add to the list, Demeco, Mario, AJ (he just doesn't show it but there is a fierce determination there) Winston, Walter, Daniels and Schaub as players who certainly are hanging it out.

I have also heard or read somewhere or talked to people that call it a 1 tech, quick search in Wiki calls him the 3 or 4 tech and the nose 0 tech.

Things get confused with nomenclature. Coming out of college, TJ was regarded (like Omobi) as a 1 gap DT. He has since been assigned to a 4-3 NT or 2 gap responsibility.

Maddict5
04-11-2008, 03:27 PM
I like TJ's emotion but I would add to the list, Demeco, Mario, AJ (he just doesn't show it but there is a fierce determination there) Winston, Walter, Daniels and Schaub as players who certainly are hanging it out.

how could you leave out freddy? hes #2 on my list after travis (and dunta)

BornOrange
04-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Since Johnson playing out of position as nose tackle, why is it even necessary to use a nose tackle in a 4-3? Why not line up both tackles in the gap between the center and either guard, or over either guard?

TEXANRED
04-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Since Johnson playing out of position as nose tackle, why is it even necessary to use a nose tackle in a 4-3? Why not line up both tackles in the gap between the center and either guard, or over either guard?

B/C if you have two 1 gap tackles there will always be an OLineman free to beat up your LB's. There are 5 OL and only 4 DL so you need someone to be able to take on two OL leaving your LB free to make a play.

Also, with a two gap there is only one run lane open that the LB will be assigned to -vs- having two run lanes open.

ATXtexanfan
04-12-2008, 05:24 PM
this thread has confused me, 1 gap 2 gap blah blah blah, i like travis, may never be a pro bowler but pro football is his career. all we need is another de to have a beastly front line

BornOrange
04-13-2008, 04:19 PM
B/C if you have two 1 gap tackles there will always be an OLineman free to beat up your LB's. There are 5 OL and only 4 DL so you need someone to be able to take on two OL leaving your LB free to make a play.

Also, with a two gap there is only one run lane open that the LB will be assigned to -vs- having two run lanes open.
I don't understand this logic. If you line up someone directly over the center, one guard will be completely free to come off the line and block a LB. If both DT's line up in the gaps outside the center but inside the guards, wouldn't that be more likely to force those three offensive linemen to block those two defensive linemen?

Maddict5
04-13-2008, 05:01 PM
from another forum reviewing the '05 draft
http://www.nfluk.com/usersession_new.php?board=14;action=display;thread id=33082

16. Travis Johnson - DT - Houston Texans

Johnson, drafted out of Florida State, is yet to make an impact in the league. He saw game time in 15 games in his rookie year, starting 3. He produced numbers of 26 tackles and 1 sack. His second year was interrupted by injury and he only made 11 tackles all season. Last year saw the most substantial game time of his career, plaing 15 games and starting 13 alongside Amobi Okoye. His numbers were not spectacular (41 tackles) although he did get an interception.
Decision: At the moment I'm undecided, but he needs a good year next year. If he can stay injury free, I envisage a good year as he is playing in a line that contains Mario Williams and Amobi Okoye.

and a post in response to that from one of the respected mods of the forum (in case anybody thought it was me or a texans fan)

I think you're being harsh to Travis Johnson, he had a really good season this year and was a much strong presence against the run the Okoye and IMO outshone the much heralded youngster. He's never likely to provide that big pass rushing threat inside to collapse the pocket from DT but he proved to be very stout against the run this year, not what the Texans had hoped for but I think another solid season will allow him to avoid bust status and establish himself as a soid starter at DT.

TEXANRED
04-13-2008, 05:53 PM
I don't understand this logic. If you line up someone directly over the center, one guard will be completely free to come off the line and block a LB. If both DT's line up in the gaps outside the center but inside the guards, wouldn't that be more likely to force those three offensive linemen to block those two defensive linemen?

This is the simplest way I can explain it:

6 T 4 G 2 C 1 G 3 T5 The number indicates the hole#'s
O O O O O

X X X X
DE DT2 DT1 DE

A 2 gap DT will take the Guard and Center as well as the 2 and 4 gap while the 1 gap DT will take either the 1 or 3 gap and the Guard.

Again this is basic and the DT's will line up line up in different spots depending on formations, down and distance, personnel, ect. There are hundreds of different variations but hopefully you get the idea.

Trail.Blazr
04-14-2008, 01:53 PM

Amen. While not yet lived up to the 1st round pick, for reasons which can be debated, he's definately shown to improve and no one can say he's hit his ceiling yet. I wouldn't want to toss him out to gamble on a 3rd or 4th round pick today. He plays with alot of emotion much like other players on the team, but his emotion comes through as nasty, which I like. I think others feed off it. I'm more of a casual fan, as I don't have my phd in X's and O's, but for the time being, I'm contempt to say the primary job of the guys in the middle is run stopping, whether making the tackle or feeding to the lb's and the texans are doing a good job in that department. I would rather see ANY pick in this years draft go to ANYthing else than a DT.

We have more pressing needs. Travis is just fine for now.

Over the years, I've read "just a few" comments on all of Houston's DL draft busts...One other thought I've had watching them come out of their shell last season is how much of this can be attributed to coaching? Are we witnessing a better coaching staff take a group of guys that have been tagged as underachievers and making them better? That would imply that the previous regime wasn't getting it done. They didn't get it done in Miami either... If we can get another DB to compliment Dunta when he returns, I really like how this D is shaping up, and I'll be suprised if the Texans D-Line doesn't get high praise around the league.

BigBull17
04-14-2008, 01:56 PM
I have no problem with him in the rotation, but if we could score another couple of 3's, Id love to look at Red Bryant. He would be awsome.

Polo
04-14-2008, 02:03 PM
When people say TJ "hasn't lived up to his first round pick", what are we comparing him to ?

Are we also keeping in mind that since TJ's been a Texan he's really only spent one year (an injury filled yr) being the "play making" DT ?

TJ is really talented...Yes he probably wasn't as motivated as he should've been in the past, but I think that the guy deserves a bit of a break...I think aome are looking to replace a guy who is not even close to needing to be replaced...

barrett
04-14-2008, 03:54 PM
agreed. if i go down the list of guys that are worth replacing o even worthy of DISCUSSING weather or not they should be replaced,STILL, Travis Johnson doesn't fall into that list. He played very well last year. he doesn't need to be replaced or even considered. he made a play or two more than anthony weaver but anthony has that lovely smile and calming voice so lets keep him in there!

Spled
04-14-2008, 05:52 PM
I think he does a lot of the nasty work in the trenches that coaches like. I think he just has to keep his emotions in control, so not to get dumb penalties.

mussop
04-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Put me down as a TJ supporter. I also predict he will have a really good year this year and shut up all the haters.

TEXANRED
04-14-2008, 08:30 PM
I think some are missing the point. Its not whether or not TJ has got talent, was or is a bust, or even the question of can he make plays. The question at the moment is what is TJ's role.

TJ is a 1 gap DT and that role is being occupied by one Mr. Amobi Okoye.

TJ is not a 2 gap, never will be a 2 gap.

bigbrewster2000
04-15-2008, 09:13 AM
I think some are missing the point. Its not whether or not TJ has got talent, was or is a bust, or even the question of can he make plays. The question at the moment is what is TJ's role.

Actually you are the one missing the point. The point is the Texans DO NOT want a 2 gap DT like we know them. They (the coaches) want a guy that can move sideline to sideline not a big fat guy. So that is his roll. Really his roll is whatever the d line coach says that it is. The coaches like the way TJ plays and have said this on the radio. This has basically been posted before. Its too bad you didnt see it the first time.

Polo
04-15-2008, 09:15 AM

Jethro Franklin pretty much said that at the moment they aren't looking for the big one gap DT's...