PDA

View Full Version : Fins negotiating with Long

stingray
04-09-2008, 04:00 PM
Jake that is. Looks like the OL might be the first pick.

The Miami Dolphins could soon be off the clock.

The Dolphins have formally begun contract negotiations with agent Tom Condon about the prospect of selecting former Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long as the first overall selection in this year's draft.

Condon, who also represents Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan, was in South Florida early this week to negotiate specifically on behalf of Long at the request of the team, The Miami Herald has learned.

The Dolphins would like to have a contract in place with their first pick before the draft on April 26, which would allow them to avoid a potentially ugly holdout like the one that took place in Oakland last year upon the Raiders' selection of quarterback JaMarcus Russell.

Miami is still intrigued by Virginia defensive end Chris Long, but no in-person talks between Chris Long's agent and Miami are believed to have taken place to date. However, the Dolphins are believed to be happy with quarterback John Beck, and they are not considering Ryan as an option with the first pick.

http://www.miamiherald.com/616/story/489210.html

beerlover
04-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Jake that is. Looks like the OL will be the first pick.

http://www.miamiherald.com/616/story/489210.html

great! thats gonna bump all the tackles up :mad:

Polo
04-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Great! That's gonna bumb all the tackles up! :)

Specnatz
04-09-2008, 04:28 PM
Great! That's gonna bumb all the tackles up! :thumbdown

Errant Hothy
04-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Of course this could just be a smokescreen.

TexansSeminole
04-09-2008, 04:44 PM

I was thinking the same thing, but even so it doesn't mean that they aren't interested.

keyser
04-09-2008, 04:45 PM

True, but for what purpose? The only angle I could see them taking is if the Dolphins want to trade, and think someone else has locked onto Jake Long so that they'd be willing to trade up to get him. And, I find this difficult to believe - I don't hear anyone talking about Long as a can't miss superstar, the way some previous players have been. Otherwise, though, I don't see what purpose a smokescreen would serve? A way of bringing down the price for the player they're really interested in? I wouldn't think that would be too effective, either - anyone in the first spot is going to want similar amounts of money, and I haven't heard any rumors that any agents have been suggesting any particularly high demands.

Polo
04-09-2008, 04:46 PM
I really don't see how smokescreening does them any good...

Errant Hothy
04-09-2008, 04:56 PM
Maybe a smokescreen, maybe not. But I doubt that these are final negotiations on a contract. More then likely this is the preliminary session, and if the Fins are smart they'll be conducting the same type talks with a couple of ther players at the top of their draft board.

Nawzer
04-09-2008, 05:29 PM
On the other hand Chris Long falling a few spots can mean a few more defensive players to choose from.

disaacks3
04-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Seeing as we only need a new (insert position here), this won't really affect the Texans.

We have too many needs to get worked up over this one way or another.

Bubbajwp
04-09-2008, 05:57 PM
I really don't see how smokescreening does them any good...

If another team wants Jake bad enough they know they will have to trade.

kastofsna
04-09-2008, 08:06 PM
it's a perfect smokescreen, not just for other teams but for other players. i'm sure miami has several players in mind right now, so they'll negotiate with a bunch and see who bites on the lowest offer. and perhaps a team like atlanta may really like j. long and trade the moon and/or stars for him because they're threatened here. who knows, but one thing is sure, this isn't the last you'll hear about miami negotiating with a player

Honoring Earl 34
04-09-2008, 08:48 PM
it's a perfect smokescreen, not just for other teams but for other players. i'm sure miami has several players in mind right now, so they'll negotiate with a bunch and see who bites on the lowest offer. and perhaps a team like atlanta may really like j. long and trade the moon and/or stars for him because they're threatened here. who knows, but one thing is sure, this isn't the last you'll hear about miami negotiating with a player

I think they're trying to trade for Reggie Bush ... I know I'm :sarcasm:

nunusguy
04-09-2008, 09:53 PM
and perhaps a team like atlanta may really like j. long and trade the moon and/or stars for him because they're threatened here.
You're dreamin kastofsna. Parsells is sittin there stuck with the worst pick in the Draft. Guaranteed he'd much rather have anything between #2 & #32
than the #1 because the cap hit is so great. And all the other 31 teams are thankful they don't have the #1.

eriadoc
04-09-2008, 10:35 PM
Smokescreen? Sounds like what people said about a certain DE that was taken #1 a couple years ago.

If Parcells wants Jake Long at #1, I'd defer to his expertise. That guy can build teams.

Goldensilence
04-09-2008, 10:37 PM
Keep in mind Parcells is running the show. I really think the aging defense needs WAY more help then the offense(Beck to Ginn jr anyone?!) and after seeing LT I think Bill understands what an impact defensive player can do.

keyser
04-09-2008, 10:42 PM
it's a perfect smokescreen, not just for other teams but for other players. i'm sure miami has several players in mind right now, so they'll negotiate with a bunch and see who bites on the lowest offer.
Really? That would have to be one of the worst strategies for selecting a draft pick. I understand if you have two players not even close in demands, or it's going to make a huge difference in final price, but I haven't seen any indication that any players are demanding something special, or that someone is going to be out of the ballpark.

and perhaps a team like atlanta may really like j. long and trade the moon and/or stars for him because they're threatened here.
That's possible, but seems really unlikely. There's no indication that any of the top prospects this year are that notable - no Peyton Manning, or even Reggie Bush...

Errant Hothy
04-10-2008, 08:49 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

In addition to Chris and Jake Long, ESPN's John Clayton expects Glenn Dorsey to talk contract with the Dolphins before the NFL Draft.

bckey
04-10-2008, 09:44 AM
How about the fact that NFL Network says Miami will not be negotiating with Matt Ryan. I wonder how far he will fall. Atlanta? KC? Jets? Ravens?

nunusguy
04-10-2008, 09:59 AM
This is clearly what I call a "Russell Maryland-type Draft".
In all seriousness there's no prospect like Reggie Bush. Turns out little
reggie is a bit of a flop, but before the 2006 Draft the consensus was that he was going to be a great NFL player, and even more deserving of being #1 than a Draft which was rich in talented QBs with upside (VY, Leinert, Cutler, etc.). And Mario was rated the best DLineman coming out since Peppers (4 or
5 years earlier).
This Draft has none of that kind of talent and worst of all no strong QB prospects, so you get somebody like the Cowboys did back in the early 90s when they were stuck with the #1. Maryland was a good player who had a reasonably good NFL career, but nuttun too special. But then he wasn't really expected to be either.

Specnatz
04-10-2008, 10:14 AM
This is clearly what I call a "Russell Maryland-type Draft".
In all seriousness there's no prospect like Reggie Bush. Turns out little
reggie is a bit of a flop, but before the 2006 Draft the consensus was that he was going to be a great NFL player, and even more deserving of being #1 than a Draft which was rich in talented QBs with upside (VY, Leinert, Cutler, etc.). And Mario was rated the best DLineman coming out since Peppers (4 or
5 years earlier).
This Draft has none of that kind of talent and worst of all no strong QB prospects, so you get somebody like the Cowboys did back in the early 90s when they were stuck with the #1. Maryland was a good player who had a reasonably good NFL career, but nuttun too special. But then he wasn't really expected to be either.

Having a consensus #1 does nothing and means just as much. Looking back at all the players who were top 5's and were flops but were labled can't miss. Yeah thanks draft guru's ya F'n morons. I mean George the blind drunk dyslexic chimp could have as much of a success rate as these guys. Hell I saw when they were talking about the QB position all of them said they would take Ryan over Fat Albert if they were both in the draft this year. What I see you are saying is that this draft does not have this flashy player that wows people so they can pick him and it turn out he sucks. To me this draft is more about a bunch of players who are steady picks that may be over paid in the first 5 picks but have to a degree a lesser chance of failing.

Lucky
04-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Miami is also talking $$$ with Vernon Gholston (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-flspdolphins10sbapr10,0,7093217.story):

Apparently content to keep the No. 1 overall pick, the Dolphins (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/topic/sports/football/miami-dolphins-ORSPT000189.topic) have begun discussing contract parameters with at least two players on their short list of candidates to become the draft's top selection.

Official contract negotiations with Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long, and Ohio State defensive end Vernon Gholston were started this week, according to a source. Coincidentally, Long and Gholston are represented by the same agency, CAA, but have different agents.

beerlover
04-10-2008, 12:13 PM
Parcells is so much smarter than anyone else, oooh the big tuna...let him muff the pick & give incentive to every top pick he messes with to comeback & lay the wood to Miami rest of his life :bat:

nunusguy
04-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Having a consensus #1 does nothing and means just as much. Looking back at all the players who were top 5's and were flops but were labled can't miss. Yeah thanks draft guru's ya F'n morons. I mean George the blind drunk dyslexic chimp could have as much of a success rate as these guys. Hell I saw when they were talking about the QB position all of them said they would take Ryan over Fat Albert if they were both in the draft this year. What I see you are saying is that this draft does not have this flashy player that wows people so they can pick him and it turn out he sucks. To me this draft is more about a bunch of players who are steady picks that may be over paid in the first 5 picks but have to a degree a lesser chance of failing.
But this clearly is a weak Draft in general and even worse for the team with the top pick because there aren't any strong QB prospects. I'm just thankful that the year we had the top pick was a talented Draft.
Chris Long is a tremendous overachiever, but not really overly talented, And the other Long is not even expected by many to be be a LT in the NFL, and yet he's considered a cinch top-fiver.
Parcells may be shrewd, but he's got no leverage to move his pick given the relative dearth of talent, so he's left with getting the best deal he can between a lot of different players any and all of whom will be ovrcompensated with #1 money.

badboy
04-10-2008, 12:51 PM
As everyone knows, the Texans do not even need a first round as all needs will be addressed in the later rounds. I have a call into Bob McNair asking that he donate the first round $ to my favorite charity (me) and force his coaches to earn their salaries for a change. Barring that, I suggested a trade out of first for 6th round picks for the next ten years as we should be able to get a Chris Myers type starter for next ten years.

Specnatz
04-10-2008, 01:03 PM
But this clearly is a weak Draft in general and even worse for the team with the top pick because there aren't any strong QB prospects. I'm just thankful that the year we had the top pick was a talented Draft.
Chris Long is a tremendous overachiever, but not really overly talented, And the other Long is not even expected by many to be be a LT in the NFL, and yet he's considered a cinch top-fiver.
Parcells may be shrewd, but he's got no leverage to move his pick given the relative dearth of talent, so he's left with getting the best deal he can between a lot of different players any and all of whom will be ovrcompensated with #1 money.

I do not think any team will have leverage to move out of the top spot because the is no scale for picks, no one wants to spend that money on a player who may or may not make it in the NFL. The NFL needs to set a rookie wage scale like Basketball does, and to further that so does baseball but that is a different hijack altogether.

Even a very talented draft like the one in 2006 the Texans could not move out because you would not get value you would almost have to pay someone in order to move out of the number one overall slot.

As far as saying Long is not a LT and an over achiever, I disagree with that. I think he is better than D'brick coming out and everyone loved D'Brick.

kastofsna
04-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Miami is also talking $$$ with Vernon Gholston (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-flspdolphins10sbapr10,0,7093217.story):
lolin, remember when i said Gholston was a #1 possibility months ago, and how everyone mocked me? god i'm a genius

buddyboy
04-10-2008, 02:35 PM
lolin, remember when i said Gholston was a #1 possibility months ago, and how everyone mocked me? god i'm a genius

Could it be that they're looking at Gholston in case of a possible trade down? Or do you really think that they could/would pick Gholston #1?

kastofsna
04-14-2008, 03:24 PM
Peter King is saying that Jake Long has to accept the contract on the table now or they'll move to the next guy. they're low-balling the hell out of them, as Parcells is talking about hoping the #1 pick this year makes quite a bit less than last year's #1 pick. if he turns it down, they move on to Gholston next.

kastofsna
04-14-2008, 03:26 PM
also i'm expecting J. Long to turn it down since the Rams will probably be willing to offer more money easily to him

Bubbajwp
04-14-2008, 06:37 PM
also i'm expecting J. Long to turn it down since the Rams will probably be willing to offer more money easily to him

Wonder how many times the second pick has made more than the first pick in the draft?

kastofsna
04-14-2008, 07:21 PM
Bush made more than Williams i believe.

it's not something that's crazy, different agents have different ways of handling things, different teams have different ways of negotiating, certain positions demand more, etc.

Bubbajwp
04-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Bush made more than Williams i believe.

it's not something that's crazy, different agents have different ways of handling things, different teams have different ways of negotiating, certain positions demand more, etc.

Didnt bush argue for #1 type money saying he was the best player in the draft.

I was just think about how often QB's are taken first overall and that they would typically get paid more than other positions.

threetoedpete
04-15-2008, 01:35 PM
Parcells is so much smarter than anyone else, oooh the big tuna...let him muff the pick & give incentive to every top pick he messes with to comeback & lay the wood to Miami rest of his life :bat:

Well what I'm thining about the Tuna...he locks up Jake long then comes back and gets Loadholt type RT in '09...with a Healthy Brown...won't get but six to eight posessions a game to beat them. Really wouldn't matter who the QB was in '08. Fill in with a quick LG who can pull, they'll be very tough to defend.

kastofsna
04-15-2008, 05:51 PM
RT isn't a need at all if Miami puts Long at LT