PDA

View Full Version : Best and Worst of the NFL Draft

Wolf
04-05-2008, 11:56 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/16236-NFL-Best_and_Worst_of_the_NFL_Draft

best

38. DeMeco Ryans LB Houston Texans 33 overall (2nd round) 2006The 2006 Defensive Rookie of the Year followed up a season in which he led the NFL in tackles by being named All-Pro in 2007. Not bad for a 236-lb middle linebacker who was thought to be too small to play in the pros.

35. Mario Williams DE Houston Texans 1 overall (1st round) 200On Draft Day 2006, all we heard was how Williams will forever follow in the shadows of future game-changers Reggie Bush and Vince Young.

But what a difference a two years makes. After racking up 11 ½ sacks in 2007, Williams was named AP Defensive Lineman of the Year (I didn’t know that was an award either) and even got votes for Defensive Player of the Year. Bush, whose longest run of his NFL career is just 22 yards— 16 yards fewer than Williams’ fumble recovery touchdown dash— proved that he may never be anything more than an explosive third-down back. Young passed for 9 touchdowns and 17 interceptions and was limited to 395 rushing yards while operating one of the NFL’s most anemic offenses.

All of the sudden, it appears that Bush and Young are now chasing the legacy of Williams. Hats off to Charlie Casserly for making that pick. And by the way, hats back on to Casserly for resigning immediately after the draft.

http://www.duffysports.com/Draft_Coverage.php
full list
worst
28. David Carr QB Houston Texans 1 overall (1st round) 2002
It’s difficult to term this a “bad pick” because of the circumstances Carr was forced into, but the fact of the matter remains that he hasn’t produced anywhere regardless of his supporting cast. Carr, who didn’t face major competition at Fresno State, had a rough transition to the NFL. He set the single-season record for sacks taken behind a woeful offensive line. Even when his protection improved and the Texans added playmakers (Andre Johnson, Dominick Davis), Carr still looked uncomfortable behind center. He posted a miserable 58.5 quarterback rating in six games with Carolina last year and has since signed on with the Giants to back-up Eli Manning.

27. Ron Dayne RB New York Giants 11 overall (1st round) 2000

The all-time leading rusher in college football was far from a sure-thing on draft day; many teams were rightfully concerned with his weight and lack of speed. After a few seasons of splitting carries with Tiki Barber, the Giants backfield quickly became a lot of lightning and very little thunder. Dayne has since re-established himself as a serviceable back with the Houston Texans, but never has proved to be a capable full-time starter.

threetoedpete
04-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Tyvm for the post. I'm evovoling beyond posting bout HWSNBN. I hope this is my last. Perfect hollywood script.... young manning goes down one year and he gets a fair shot some day.

Yeah we got the bush-yound dragon Slayed. I give Bud one more year on Young. Going to be sweet when he releases him.

...and wouldn't be shocked at all if New Orleans pulls Forte off the board in the second to save Reggie's career.

Maddict5
04-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Warrick was the Reggie Bush of the late 90s. As a wide receiver at Florida State, no one could touch him. The man played at a different speed than everyone else. But once he reached the NFL, it seemed as though everyone figured him out. Warrick averaged less than 500 receiving yards per season in his six-year career.

sounds about right

nunusguy
04-06-2008, 10:04 AM
Casserly should share in the credit for the Williams pick and the rest of that
2006 Draft, which was easily the Texans best to date.
On the other hand I don't think he should be blamed for the choice of Carr back in 2002, because IMO Carrs failure here should go squarely on the shoulders of Dom Capers and his assistants in the ways they handled Carr and his development/acquisitions of supporting cast here in Houston. But having said that, Casserly certainly gave Bob McNair the worst kind of advice on picking up the option in Carrs contract to retain him rather than release him a couple years ago.

alphajoker
04-07-2008, 09:09 AM
35. Mario Williams DE Houston Texans 1 overall (1st round) 200On Draft Day 2006, all we heard was how Williams will forever follow in the shadows of future game-changers Reggie Bush and Vince Young.

But what a difference a two years makes. After racking up 11 ˝ sacks in 2007, Williams was named AP Defensive Lineman of the Year (I didn’t know that was an award either) and even got votes for Defensive Player of the Year. Bush, whose longest run of his NFL career is just 22 yards— 16 yards fewer than Williams’ fumble recovery touchdown dash— proved that he may never be anything more than an explosive third-down back. Young passed for 9 touchdowns and 17 interceptions and was limited to 395 rushing yards while operating one of the NFL’s most anemic offenses.

Eh?