PDA

View Full Version : USC Pro-Day

Errant Hothy
04-04-2008, 11:21 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AtSL8RCk6bSL5L2sBHN1ZnhDubYF?slug=ys-uscproday040308&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Keith Rivers:
Rivers kicked off the morning wowing scouts with a 42-inch vertical jump – a full eight inches better than any outside linebacker recorded at the NFL scouting combine in February – and a 10’7” broad jump that also topped any other linebacker tested in Indianapolis.

Rivers’ efforts weren’t limited to leaping, as he also impressed scouts in the 40, recording a 4.57 and 4.51 second times.

Rivers, who didn’t work out at the combine due to an ankle injury, had the most to prove Wednesday. While most viewed him as the top linebacker of the class, strong workouts by Penn State’s Dan Connor and Tennessee’s Jerod Mayo left Rivers vulnerable – and needing a strong performance.

When told Connor graded himself as a “13” on a scale of 1-10 following his workout, Rivers offered his own self-assessment.

“I’d give myself a 6 or 7,” Rivers told NFLDraftScout.com. “My vertical, broad and 40 were good, but I didn’t do as well in my positional drills as I would have liked to have done.”

Chauncey Washington:
Running back Chauncey Washington, used throughout much of his career as a power back due to his muscular 6-foot, 211-pound frame, turned in the surprise performance of the day when he registered a pair of sub-4.4 40s. Stunned scouts immediately began comparing stop-watches, with times ranging from 4.32 to 4.39. Washington, though invited, had elected not to run at the combine. He had widely been estimated by scouts to have marginal speed. In compiling impressive results in the vertical jump (36 inches), broad jump (9’11”) and bench press (18), Washington proved his athleticism is legitimate and not just speed-driven.

“Washington helped himself (Wednesday),” Thompson said. “He was prepared. He ran well. He looked good in positional drills. Caught the ball well.”

Sam Baker:
Offensive tackle Sam Baker looked good in positional drills, but was considerably slower in the 40 than he had been at the combine. In Indianapolis, Baker was clocked at a very respectable 5.09. But his first dash Wednesday was timed at 5.49. His second was faster (5.37), but not nearly as good as his previous work.

Terrell Thomas:
Cornerback Terrell Thomas was timed in the mid-4.5s Wednesday after clocking 4.45 at the combine. In proving he can run in the mid-4.4s earlier, there remain a number of teams who feel he can play cornerback in the NFL, though many feel he’ll ultimately be moved to free safety.

I'm calling it now Washington for the Texans in round 3, and maybe Rivers in Round 1.

Lucky
04-04-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm calling it now Washington for the Texans in round 3...
Maybe if he had flashed some of that speed in college. I just don't see it on the field. Not that I don't think Washington is a decent prospect. Reminds me of former Trojan Justin Fargas, who burned up the track at the combine but has been a between the tackles plodder in the NFL.

steelbtexan
04-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Fargas finally got his chance last year & made the most of it.

He has been very injury prone thus far in his career.

Brando
04-06-2008, 12:08 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AtSL8RCk6bSL5L2sBHN1ZnhDubYF?slug=ys-uscproday040308&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Keith Rivers:

Chauncey Washington:

Sam Baker:

Terrell Thomas:

I'm calling it now Washington for the Texans in round 3, and maybe Rivers in Round 1.

I'll be all for Washington in Round 3.......

TexansSeminole
04-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Washington isn't the most impressive football player, 40 time aside.

The guy that excites me is Terrell Thomas as a free safety perhaps in the 3rd or 4th round if he drops.

steelbtexan
04-06-2008, 01:40 PM
I like Thomas alot too.

He can play CB or FS. He can ply the slot receivers in the nickel & dime packages.