PDA

View Full Version : Sherman aims to restore tradition in Aggie football

Wolf
04-03-2008, 02:05 PM
http://media.www.thebatt.com/media/storage/paper657/news/2008/04/03/Sports/Spring.Cleaning-3299935.shtml

The weather is getting warmer, the days are getting longer and apartments are in dire need of cleaning. Spring is upon us, and for Texas A&M's football Head Coach Mike Sherman, that means it's time for some seasonal cleaning.

Sherman said just because the weather is nice doesn't mean the team will be taking it easy.

"Spring is going to really be a gut check," he said. "That's the theme of what needs to get done. We need to go through this baptism, so to speak, and really challenge [the team] physically and mentally. It's like going to Junction, Texas all over again."

Some may remember that Paul "Bear" Bryant's famed trip to Junction was a prelude for a one-win season, but it's worth bearing in mind that within three years, that one-win team transformed into a conference title winner.

"[A&M] had seven teams last year that won Big 12 championships in some fashion, and football needs to rejoin that elite group," Sherman said. "I think A&M is very close. It's a sleeping giant. It's a chance to start taking big steps, and it starts with recruiting. I really feel something special can be done here, and that's why I took this job."

good luck except against UT (we owe you two losses):cowboy1: :pirate:

bah007
04-03-2008, 02:58 PM
I seriously doubt this will be ANYTHING like Junction.

Second Honeymoon
04-03-2008, 03:12 PM
as long as UT has Colt at QB and Greg Davis as OC they will remain irrelevant in the national title scene and continue to struggle against teams like A&M.

The last two losses to A&M have been an embarrassment to the football program in Austin and something needs to change somewhere, and I am not talking about Mack. I am talking about the people Mack has tied his wagon to, Colt and Davis.

Sherman could really flourish in College Station. He likes to run the ball but isn't afraid to mix things up and keep a defense off balance. If he can recruit well over the next few years, things could turn around pretty fast for the Ags.

Goldensilence
04-03-2008, 03:39 PM
as long as UT has Colt at QB and Greg Davis as OC they will remain irrelevant in the national title scene and continue to struggle against teams like A&M.

The last two losses to A&M have been an embarrassment to the football program in Austin and something needs to change somewhere, and I am not talking about Mack. I am talking about the people Mack has tied his wagon to, Colt and Davis.

Sherman could really flourish in College Station. He likes to run the ball but isn't afraid to mix things up and keep a defense off balance. If he can recruit well over the next few years, things could turn around pretty fast for the Ags.

I'm starting to wonder how long Davis has in Austin myself. You don't bring in a guy like Applewhite to just be your RB coach.I am sure he has his sights set on Replacing Mack and if he continues to struggle against OU it might not be too far down the road. No doubt Mack is a recruiting wizard but UT and Austin almost sells itself. I'm not down an Mack either but he needs to cut the cord with Davis.Colt has needed to add weight to his frame but my concern is almost Lidge-like with that shoulder.

Far as Sherman and A&M. Eh. If he can make them relevant in Texas recruiting he has a chance to make noise. I think the problem with Franchione was going up against medium level recruiting he did well but I think he thought the brand name of A&M would do the recruiting for him. Ran into the walls of a few old programs restoring like Slocum. UT is gonna get its recruit picks, OU can draw from North Texas, LSU can draw from East and what has been prior a good west coast connection USC has made stealing recruitng from California hard. Not to diss Sherman because he's a class act guy for sure but I'm wondering about the slow drop off in talent in GB. Was he working with a lot of Ron Wolfe leftovers that masked some things? He did make a point to bring in a good staff which i applaud. All in all I'm grateful for his time and effort with the Texans and quietly wish him luck except when playing UT.

bah007
04-03-2008, 04:23 PM
I am talking about the people Mack has tied his wagon to, Colt and Davis.

Like most UT fans, I am sick and tired of Davis calling the plays, but that doesn't necesarilly mean I want him gone. He does good work with the QBs for the most part.

As for Colt, who would you recommend Mack throw in at QB?
-Chiles is a star in the making, but the kid is just not ready to play QB yet. He can't even hit a 5 yd out route.
-Harris is a hard-working kid but he has no game experience.
-Kinne doesn't even get to take practice reps, much less game reps.

Colt has the best arm & the most experience.

HoustonFrog
04-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Like most UT fans, I am sick and tired of Davis calling the plays, but that doesn't necesarilly mean I want him gone. He does good work with the QBs for the most part.

As for Colt, who would you recommend Mack throw in at QB?
-Chiles is a star in the making, but the kid is just not ready to play QB yet. He can't even hit a 5 yd out route.
-Harris is a hard-working kid but he has no game experience.
-Kinne doesn't even get to take practice reps, much less game reps.

Colt has the best arm & the most experience.

I do think Mack has to take some blame though. The guy does have a NC and he does win games yearly but besides the VY experiment he really has choked away the SAME type games year after year. Most of them are ones where there are a few bad penalties that turn the tide, some iffy playcalling(Davis) and a complete and utter lack of preparedness. Take a look back at every year but the NC year and you will see a pattern of losses that border on eerie...with the way they came out, the way they were prepared and the sloppiness. There is always a down and out K State or Okl St or someone to make them have 1-2 unexpected losses.

bah007
04-03-2008, 04:32 PM
The MO of a Mack-coached team has almost always been that they are soft.

I really liked what I saw in the Arizona St game, even though we gave up way too many points.

The team came out with an attitude, which has never really happened except when VY was playing.

And with Muschamp, I dont think people will be calling us soft anymore.

GlassHalfFull
04-03-2008, 04:32 PM
We need to get this thread back on track.

Go Aggies!!! Whoop!

I have great hopes that my son will be at A&M next year, I hope Sherman is able to suceed there. It has been a long 5 years, with a couple of bright spots around Thanksgiving the last two years.

Wolf
04-03-2008, 04:38 PM
http://texasscribbler.com/images/AggieGasPump.jpg

awesome..but I think we can agree

http://www.ousucks.com/

seriously.. I hope Sherman can turn it around because it is good for the state and the rivalry

now TT... as my friend says.. they want a rivalry so bad but none of the other schools and fans care :specnatz: