PDA

View Full Version : So, uh,.....(Why did the Raiders/Broncos get the opening Monday Night Football game?)

jaayteetx
04-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Why did the Raiders/Broncos get the opening Monday Night Football game? Didn't both these teams have losing records last year?

HoustonFrog
04-01-2008, 12:11 PM
I also want to know whay the Giants would get to play the Redskins on Thursday. The Skins are a transitional team right now. They haven't been relevant. Make it the playoff repeat and put the Cowboys in there.

V Man
04-01-2008, 12:31 PM
I think the Raider/Broncos game is on for a combination of reasons.

First they need a west coast team for the late start.

Second, teams are allowed on national tv only a certain number of times (thus San Diego must already have their number later in the season).

Third, Raiders still have a large following making them more attractive than say the Cardinals.

Fourth, Rival game doesn't hurt.

Polo
04-01-2008, 12:32 PM
Isn't it also possible that the Raiders could feature a McFadden/Russel backfield ?

V Man
04-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Isn't it also possible that the Raiders could feature a McFadden/Russel backfield ?

True

jaayteetx
04-01-2008, 12:34 PM

Ya, its also possible they're going to be terrible again!

SheTexan
04-01-2008, 02:27 PM
It's also possible this is any April fools day joke!!!:) haven't seen this posted any where else.

The Pencil Neck
04-01-2008, 02:31 PM
It's also possible this is any April fools day joke!!!:) haven't seen this posted any where else.

I thought I saw it on the NFL Network yesterday.

Yep. Here you go:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8077fc99&template=with-video&confirm=true

nunusguy
04-01-2008, 02:48 PM

Second, teams are allowed on national tv only a certain number of times (thus San Diego must already have their number later in the season).

Third, Raiders still have a large following making them more attractive than say the Cardinals.

There's the answer, except are teams limited to # of appearnances ?
Re the Giants vs Redskins. 2 East Coast teams in the NFC East. Any of those
combinations are ususally a ratings success.
So do the Texans finally make it to MNF or even SNF this year ? Hosting VY and the Titans would seem to be the obvious game ?

ATXtexanfan
04-01-2008, 09:25 PM

my thoughts exactly

Allstar
04-02-2008, 12:26 AM
I think JaMarcus Russell is the reason this game got the spot. A lot of people want to see how he has developed after a year of mostly bench time. He didn't get a start last year did he?

Polo
04-02-2008, 12:27 AM
My guess is that JR is going to suck

V Man
04-02-2008, 09:15 AM
There's the answer, except are teams limited to # of appearnances ?Re the Giants vs Redskins. 2 East Coast teams in the NFC East. Any of those
combinations are ususally a ratings success.
So do the Texans finally make it to MNF or even SNF this year ? Hosting VY and the Titans would seem to be the obvious game ?

I know there is something about this. (Remember talkining about it on this board, but can't find it here or anything about it on the net. Maybe others here know about it). It keeps them from putting the Cowboys or Packers on every Monday night.

hollywood_texan
04-02-2008, 10:00 PM

Yep, they need a West Coast game and it's the best one considering the situation for the entire season.

The Pencil Neck
04-02-2008, 11:17 PM
IIRC, last year they had Cardinals at Niners for the West Coast for the late game.

And it was horrible.

Two teams everyone thought were going to be hot and up and coming with hot offenses and there was just much suckage.

Second Honeymoon
04-02-2008, 11:19 PM
if not for the Raiders coaching drama, I would say the Raiders are an up and coming team this year. I like their talent and the moves they made this offseason but until you have stability at head coach, you really cant expect much.

jaayteetx
04-03-2008, 01:29 AM
if not for the Raiders coaching drama, I would say the Raiders are an up and coming team this year. I like their talent and the moves they made this offseason but until you have stability at head coach, you really cant expect much.

No, they need stability at the owners position. Until that happens, they will continue to be a crap shoot.