PDA

View Full Version : Zac Diles

RipTraxx
03-30-2008, 10:19 PM
Its been said that he's slotted for the starting LB spot with Ryans and Greenwood. Personally i think he's a little too small to be covering tight ends. But...if Kubes and Smith say he can play.....let him play. I really figured Chaun Thompson would eventually beat him out.

DiehardChris
03-30-2008, 10:24 PM
I don't remember anyone saying he was slotted for the starting spot. Everything I've heard points to a fierce position battle between he, Thompson, and Bentley.

TheRealJoker
03-30-2008, 10:31 PM
From what i've read it seems he has the football instincts Thompson lacks but Thompson has the measurables that Diles lacks.

RipTraxx
03-30-2008, 10:34 PM
From what i've read it seems he has the football instincts Thompson lacks but Thompson has the measurables that Diles lacks.

Yeah. Football speed vs. timed speed is always an issue.

kiwitexansfan
03-30-2008, 11:59 PM
I think this will be the battle of training camp.... my money is on Bentley.

BigBull17
03-31-2008, 07:20 AM
He's a player, my money is on Diles, with the others for depth and Thompson playing end on passing downs.

badboy
03-31-2008, 08:02 AM
He's a player, my money is on Diles, with the others for depth and Thompson playing end on passing downs.I agree. I think Kubes really likes Diles. Sort of a Walter thinggie and that worked pretty well last year. Another thing I got wrong. I was not a huge Walter fan. Diles is basically in a no lose situation as he starts or backs ups one of the best MLB in NFL. We have a lot of players going into second year with Texans & I hope we see some growth.

barrett
03-31-2008, 11:06 AM
I think this will be the battle of training camp.... my money is on Bentley.

OLB and Safety will be fun to watch. Not to mention RG and RB. How about Davis, Walter and Jones at WR? Thats gonna be great too!

DiehardChris
03-31-2008, 12:36 PM
Walter is a lock at the other WR spot. Andre Davis isn't a good blocker, and he's doesn't really do much (as a receiver) other than go deep and stretch the field. Walter is slower, but he's much more of a complete receiver - and his blocking ability is going to be very important to the success of the ZBS.

LORK 88
03-31-2008, 01:16 PM
Its been said that he's slotted for the starting LB spot with Ryans and Greenwood. Personally i think he's a little too small to be covering tight ends. But...if Kubes and Smith say he can play.....let him play. I really figured Chaun Thompson would eventually beat him out.
I did initially at first, but then I remembered that Denver never has any LBs of great size. All of their LBs are around 6'0" 235 (DJ Williams is the biggest at 6'1" 242). One of the biggest reasons why he has the inside track to start is because he has great instincts and is very intelligent. He does lack the size and isn't incredibly fast, but hopefully his ability and smarts will help make up for that.

BigBull17
03-31-2008, 01:20 PM
Walter is a lock at the other WR spot. Andre Davis isn't a good blocker, and he's doesn't really do much (as a receiver) other than go deep and stretch the field. Walter is slower, but he's much more of a complete receiver - and his blocking ability is going to be very important to the success of the ZBS.

Yet, can always get open down the field. I think he may be a Jedi.

badboy
03-31-2008, 03:11 PM
Walter is a lock at the other WR spot. Andre Davis isn't a good blocker, and he's doesn't really do much (as a receiver) other than go deep and stretch the field. Walter is slower, but he's much more of a complete receiver - and his blocking ability is going to be very important to the success of the ZBS.I agree. There will designed plays for AD and JJ but the first two guys are AJ and Walter.

badboy
03-31-2008, 03:18 PM
Its been said that he's slotted for the starting LB spot with Ryans and Greenwood. Personally i think he's a little too small to be covering tight ends. But...if Kubes and Smith say he can play.....let him play. I really figured Chaun Thompson would eventually beat him out.Many have urged for Demeco to move to OLB & he is 6'2" 236. Morlon is 6'0" and 238. Diles is 6'0" 240 and right in there. Kubes has wanted to get faster & I think he has.

RipTraxx
03-31-2008, 03:37 PM
Many have urged for Demeco to move to OLB & he is 6'2" 236. Morlon is 6'0" and 238. Diles is 6'0" 240 and right in there. Kubes has wanted to get faster & I think he has.

After what he's done in the middle i wouldnt dare move him. Diles is said not to have good timed speed, but there seems to be a difference between that and football speed. Diles was timed at 4.85 which isnt that hot......

anyone know what demeco did in his 40?

badboy
03-31-2008, 04:23 PM
After what he's done in the middle i wouldnt dare move him. Diles is said not to have good timed speed, but there seems to be a difference between that and football speed. Diles was timed at 4.85 which isnt that hot......

anyone know what demeco did in his 40?Yet his side is where he will have to run back on passing plays. Kubes thinks he can get it done. i hope to see him nail tight ends on short plays. He is alleged to hit like Demeco and DR.

was385
03-31-2008, 04:37 PM

anyone know what demeco did in his 40?

Demeco ran a 4.62 40 at the combine.

2slik4u
03-31-2008, 07:12 PM

i agree with you on that but on the other hand i am a fan of this guy. i feel pretty good going into 2009 wiht the linebacker core that we have. we have great starters and great depth if you ask me.

Hook'er
03-31-2008, 09:52 PM
I did initially at first, but then I remembered that Denver never has any LBs of great size. All of their LBs are around 6'0" 235 (DJ Williams is the biggest at 6'1" 242). One of the biggest reasons why he has the inside track to start is because he has great instincts and is very intelligent. He does lack the size and isn't incredibly fast, but hopefully his ability and smarts will help make up for that.

They actually have him listed as the fastest Inside Linebacker in last years draft. (ESPN Draft Guide 2007)

Zach Diles Kansas State
+Reads plays quickly, and has an explosive first step and can make plays at the line of scrimmage. Closes well and delivers big hits. Good body control and wraps up on contact. Can slip blockers in space and has unlimited range. Plays with nonstop motor. Gets good depth on zone drops. Changes direction quickly and burst out of cuts.
-Undersized and gets ingulfed at times. Wears down in every-down role. Plays too high and can get driven back. Doesn't use hands well, lacks upper body strenght and takes too long to shed blocks. Avoids blockers instead of stacking them up, overruns holes and gets caught out of position. Doesn't show a variety of pass-rush moves or the lower-body strenght to push blockers back into the QB.

RipTraxx
03-31-2008, 09:54 PM
They actually have him listed as the fastest Inside Linebacker in last years draft. (ESPN Draft Guide 2007)

Zach Diles Kansas State
+Reads plays quickly, and has an explosive first step and can make plays at the line of scrimmage. Closes well and delivers big hits. Good body control and wraps up on contact. Can slip blockers in space and has unlimited range. Plays with nonstop motor. Gets good depth on zone drops. Changes direction quickly and burst out of cuts.
-Undersized and gets ingulfed at times. Wears down in every-down role. Plays too high and can get driven back. Doesn't use hands well, lacks upper body strenght and takes too long to shed blocks. Avoids blockers instead of stacking them up, overruns holes and gets caught out of position. Doesn't show a variety of pass-rush moves or the lower-body strenght to push blockers back into the QB.

Nothing says he's lacking in the speed dept. Maybe he's quicker then we think. Undersized i can live with....slow i cannot.

DocBar
03-31-2008, 11:41 PM

Zach Diles Kansas State
The plusses and negatives seem somewhat contradictory to me. There's another Zach that had some of these same things written about him....Zach Thomas. I'm of the opinion that Kubes is going to stick to his word and put the best players on the field, regardless of draft position, etc. Him and Smith are proving to be excellent talent evaluators.

LORK 88
04-01-2008, 02:16 AM

Zach Diles Kansas State
He ran a mid 4.7 at his pro day last year (he wasn't invited to the combine), I don't think ESPN realized that Patrick Willis runs in the 4.3 - 4.4 range. Regardless, Diles earned his spot on the starting roster when the odds were heavily in his favor of being on the PS at best. His quickness, smart play, and physical nature have earned him the inside track to starting, let's hope he can exceed expectations again.

badboy
04-02-2008, 12:27 PM
I'll take a 7th rounder evry year that can start his second season. Some scout ought to get a free steak dinner on Mr. Diles eval. Can't wait to see what Smithiak does this year with the 7th. He got a starting center with our 6th. So a starter or solid back up is not out of question. Smiley face goes here