PDA

View Full Version : Where In The World Is James Laurinaitis?

Ali4Real
03-30-2008, 08:23 PM
What happened to James Laurinaitis, I thought he was supposed to be the best linebacker in this years draft?

Trap_Star
03-30-2008, 08:28 PM
he's still in school.

Ole Miss Texan
03-30-2008, 08:54 PM
He stayed for his senior season at Ohio St, along with his teammate Malcolm Jenkins. Coincidentally, the best cornerback in the draft.

Hottoddie
03-30-2008, 09:05 PM
The sad part for him is, he gave up a chance to go to New England at #7. I just hope for his sake, that he doesn't get injured & doesn't drop too far down in next year's draft. The fact that he's missing out on a chance to join a perennial Super Bowl contender could cost him a lot of playoff money as well.

Fox
03-30-2008, 10:51 PM
Staying in school is always an iffy proposition when you're already considered a premier player. An injury here or a bad season there can cost you millions off your rookie contract. On the other hand I do really respect those guys who finish their degrees and continue to play for the love of the game and the respect of their team mates.

kiwitexansfan
03-30-2008, 11:56 PM
Just wait while I climb on my high horse...

Money isn't everything, stay in school kids, there are no promises in football.

NitroGSXR
03-31-2008, 12:22 AM

Respectfully disagree.

Money is everything. Those who say that money doesn't buy happiness doesn't know where to shop. Find better places to shop if you're unhappy. That's all I got to say about that.

bah007
03-31-2008, 01:53 AM
There are no guarantees in pro football.

Even a #1 overall pick can fall out of the league quickly.

Get your degree so you can have a life after football is over.

NitroGSXR
03-31-2008, 06:27 AM
There are no guarantees in pro football.

Even a #1 overall pick can fall out of the league quickly.

Get your degree so you can have a life after football is over.
A #1 overall picks signs with a 20 million or so signing bonus. Not really sure if it matters if a person falls out so quickly matters much after such a signing bonus.

You can get a degree just as easily when football is over. If anything, you'd be able to pay for it.

Bubbajwp
03-31-2008, 06:48 AM
Respectfully disagree.

Money is everything. Those who say that money doesn't buy happiness doesn't know where to shop. Find better places to shop if you're unhappy. That's all I got to say about that.

Well apparently you dont have any money because I can promise you money doesnt buy happiness and if it does then I think you might be in a midlife crisis. Sorry

YoungTexanFan
03-31-2008, 08:23 AM
The 2 best MLB's by far that were eligible this year decided to stay in school. USC's Rey Maguela and tOSU's James Laurinaitis. They are both top 15 talents.

Polo
03-31-2008, 08:27 AM
A #1 overall picks signs with a 20 million or so signing bonus. Not really sure if it matters if a person falls out so quickly matters much after such a signing bonus.

You can get a degree just as easily when football is over. If anything, you'd be able to pay for it.

It's not always about the degree per se...

College is an experience...It's really the last time you can be a "kid" in a sense....

Going to class, playing football, hanging with friends, being on campus, going to parties, all the on campus events...Those things are memory builders....Once you leave it's not the same as trying to go back and just get a degree...

Different people place value on different things...

The1ApplePie
03-31-2008, 10:07 AM
Well apparently you dont have any money because I can promise you money doesnt buy happiness and if it does then I think you might be in a midlife crisis. Sorry

Dating women 25-35 without a lot of money... Good luck with that
:gun:

I think James made a huge mistake. This draft is god awful at ILB, and he would have been first by a mile.

Rey Maguela next year will probably be a better Pro-Prospect than he is next year

Specnatz
03-31-2008, 02:02 PM

Yeah but if your the Governor of NY you can rent it for $5,000 an hour.

Bubbajwp
03-31-2008, 03:24 PM
Dating women 25-35 without a lot of money... Good luck with that
:gun:

I think James made a huge mistake. This draft is god awful at ILB, and he would have been first by a mile.

Rey Maguela next year will probably be a better Pro-Prospect than he is next year

Im not sure what that has to do with being happy. But if you have to be worth millions to get a girl I feel sorry for you.

Hooston Texan
03-31-2008, 03:49 PM
Do any of you all know who Anthony Poindexter is?

If you do, you really know your college football circa 1995-98. For the rest of you, Poindexter was one of the fiercest safeties college football ever saw--but don't take my word for it, ask Ricky Williams.

Anyway, Poindexter was a sure-fire first-round draft pick after his junior season. Instead, he chose to return to UVA because the team was going to be stacked the next season (Patrick Kerney, Thomas Jones, Aaron Brooks), and he wanted to be a part of what looked to be an epic team.

In the middle of his senior season, he tore up his knee. In an instant, he went from a first-round lock to a seventh round pick. He played on special teams for a couple of years (getting a ring with the Ravens) but was done. He never earned above the minimum. Now he's an assistant at UVA, but he should still be playing in the NFL. The kid sacrificed his pro career for one more college try.

For that reason, I can't begrudge any kid leaving early when it looks like he's a high draft pick. No college degree in the world is going to make you millions of dollars before you turn 30. Sure, not all sure things pan out, but 99.9999999999999% of the world kill for the shot that a first-round NFL draft pick gets to secure his future.

The college isn't going anywhere. If the NFL doesn't pan out, it will still be there.

Polo
03-31-2008, 03:54 PM
Do any of you all know who Anthony Poindexter is?

If you do, you really know your college football circa 1995-98. For the rest of you, Poindexter was one of the fiercest safeties college football ever saw--but don't take my word for it, ask Ricky Williams.

Anyway, Poindexter was a sure-fire first-round draft pick after his junior season. Instead, he chose to return to UVA because the team was going to be stacked the next season (Patrick Kerney, Thomas Jones, Aaron Brooks), and he wanted to be a part of what looked to be an epic team.

In the middle of his senior season, he tore up his knee. In an instant, he went from a first-round lock to a seventh round pick. He played on special teams for a couple of years (getting a ring with the Ravens) but was done. He never earned above the minimum. Now he's an assistant at UVA, but he should still be playing in the NFL. The kid sacrificed his pro career for one more college try.

For that reason, I can't begrudge any kid leaving early when it looks like he's a high draft pick. No college degree in the world is going to make you millions of dollars before you turn 30. Sure, not all sure things pan out, but 99.9999999999999% of the world kill for the shot that a first-round NFL draft pick gets to secure his future.

The college isn't going anywhere. If the NFL doesn't pan out, it will still be there.

The what if game sucks....que sera sera

Theres no argument for this subject either way unless it's you making the decision...

Otherwise we're all peeing the wind...

Ole Miss Texan
03-31-2008, 04:53 PM
For some, their dream is to play in the NFL and the only reason they're in college is to eventually go pro. I'd say most (or at least a lot) of the talent in the NFL don't want to do anything else and did not go to college to get an education to find some sort of working job.

I love to see players returning for their senior season but for so many declaring early, I have no right to say they shouldn't. Sometimes I want to, but I don't know them or their situation or their family, etc.

What was that story about Mario? He wanted to quit football altogether and get a job to help his sister, to help pay for her and her child (husband died??) but she said no, stay in football, you have the chance to fulfill a dream and financially be able to take care of us a lot better. Mario skipped his senior season for many reasons and I can't blame him at all.

But I usually urge players (that I never talk to or ever know) to come out early if (a) they are looking like a sure fire top 10 pick or 1st rounder and/or (b) if there are family matters they must take care of.

I usually urge players (that I never talk to or ever know) to stay in school to (a) finish their college experience with the teammates (basically family), friends, and earn there degree and/or (b) play more/practice more/ learn more and improve their stock to be a top 5 pick or a 1st rd pick.

Perfect example is Michael Oher. I could blame him if he wanted to leave early but on so many levels I thought it'd be best for him to stay in school for his senior year. Help an up and coming college program, earn his degree (only person in his family to do so), and most importantly refine his technique. I think Oher was a def. 1st round draft pick if he came out, most likely a Top 20 this year but going back (if he improves and doesn't get hurt) will be talked about going #1 overall or Top 5.

PapaL
03-31-2008, 05:40 PM
When I saw this thread I thought of:

Well he sneaks around the world from Kiev to Carolina,
he’s a sticky-fingered filcher from Berlin down to Belize,
he’ll take you for a ride on a slow boat to China,
Tell me where in the world is James Laurinaitis?

The1ApplePie
03-31-2008, 06:57 PM
Im not sure what that has to do with being happy. But if you have to be worth millions to get a girl I feel sorry for you.

Wasn't talking about millions, I'm talking about a good salary

Got a girl right now, and I don't have two cents to rub together. There are plenty that won't touch you with a 8 foot pole without money, I just got lucky.

As far as not knowing what having a good woman has to do with being happy... Maybe you'll eventually figure that one out.

Bubbajwp
03-31-2008, 07:15 PM

Got a girl right now, and I don't have two cents to rub together. There are plenty that won't touch you with a 8 foot pole without money, I just got lucky.

As far as not knowing what having a good woman has to do with being happy... Maybe you'll eventually figure that one out.

Thats basically my point. If a girl wants you for your money then shes probably not the right girl. Make sense?

Having a good woman can definitely make you happy. However that has nothing to do with money. Or at least it shouldnt.

The1ApplePie
03-31-2008, 07:20 PM
Thats basically my point. If a girl wants you for your money then shes probably not the right girl. Make sense?

Having a good woman can definetly make you happy. However that has nothing to do with money. Or at least it shouldnt.

Hell yes it shouldn't, but if often does work that way

Love should be all that matters, but that doesn't always work either. I'm finding that out myself

Bubbajwp
03-31-2008, 07:20 PM

Also I think its probably alot harder to find a good women when you have millions. Money brings out the bad in people. So in that sense having money definitely doesnt bring you happiness.

gg no re
03-31-2008, 07:30 PM
James Laurinaitis could always follow his dad's career path if football doesn't pan out.

http://dwave.files.wordpress.com/2006/09/527128.jpeg

The1ApplePie
03-31-2008, 07:31 PM
What A Rush!

Hottoddie
03-31-2008, 07:52 PM
Well apparently you dont have any money because I can promise you money doesnt buy happiness

Maybe not, but it sure makes the ride to happiness a lot less bumpy. :D

Bubbajwp
03-31-2008, 08:09 PM
Maybe not, but it sure makes the ride to happiness a lot less bumpy. :D

I can live with that.

Yankee_In_TX
03-31-2008, 08:52 PM
After having met both James and his dad this year, I am glad he's back.

I think a lot of it had to do with unfinished business. James lost a lot of awards and a national championship.

Last time OSU won it all? Seniors such as Mike Doss committed and came back.

I hope to see James again for the Lombardi award here in Houston, and hope he wins it this year.

http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v167/52/19/1039160903/n1039160903_30018705_3481.jpg

Bubbajwp
04-01-2008, 07:42 AM
I just hope he ends up in a Texans uni next year.

ATXtexanfan
04-01-2008, 08:52 PM
I just hope he ends up in a Texans uni next year.

that would be nice

dc_txtech
04-01-2008, 11:42 PM
After having met both James and his dad this year, I am glad he's back.

I think a lot of it had to do with unfinished business. James lost a lot of awards and a national championship.

Last time OSU won it all? Seniors such as Mike Doss committed and came back.

I hope to see James again for the Lombardi award here in Houston, and hope he wins it this year.

http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v167/52/19/1039160903/n1039160903_30018705_3481.jpg

Wow! You met Chuck Liddell? That guy is awesome.

LZ
04-02-2008, 10:26 AM
The sad part for him is, he gave up a chance to go to New England at #7. I just hope for his sake, that he doesn't get injured & doesn't drop too far down in next year's draft. The fact that he's missing out on a chance to join a perennial Super Bowl contender could cost him a lot of playoff money as well.

This is a GREAT point. He would be a mortal lock to be taken by the Pats at #7 if he had stayed in the draft unless the Jets tried to grab him at 6th.

beerlover
04-02-2008, 10:36 AM
This is a GREAT point. He would be a mortal lock to be taken by the Pats at #7 if he had stayed in the draft unless the Jets tried to grab him at 6th.

same could be said for Malcolm Jenkins ;)