PDA

View Full Version : ESPN "Insider" ranks AJ #4 among NFL WRs

nunusguy
03-25-2008, 08:52 PM
4. Andre Johnson
Houston Texans
Johnson is big (6-3, 219), physical, runs solid routes and makes plays. In terms of physical tools, he is every bit as good as the three guys in front of him. He may have been overlooked in the past because of poor quarterback play (see David Carr 2003-06) but should improve as he works more with Matt Schaub. Johnson's numbers last season (60 catches, 851 yards) would have been more impressive if he had not missed seven games with an injury.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=3309135&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fid%3d3309135

RipTraxx
03-25-2008, 08:58 PM
4. Andre Johnson
Houston Texans
Johnson is big (6-3, 219), physical, runs solid routes and makes plays. In terms of physical tools, he is every bit as good as the three guys in front of him. He may have been overlooked in the past because of poor quarterback play (see David Carr 2003-06) but should improve as he works more with Matt Schaub. Johnson's numbers last season (60 catches, 851 yards) would have been more impressive if he had not missed seven games with an injury.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=3309135&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fid%3d3309135

No big surprise. One on one you cant cover the guy.

Ole Miss Texan
03-25-2008, 09:07 PM
Doesn't surprise me but I'm really glad he's getting recognized. I've always thought he's one of the best. If you're looking at a WR to have on your team though, I think he's #1 because of no only what he brings but his age. He's younger than Moss and Owens so from our franchise standpoint he'll play for us much longer AND bring just as much if not more. Plus he's a high character person.

Here's the rest:
1. Randy Moss
2. Terrell Owens
3. Steve Smith
4. Andre Johnson
5. Reggie Wayne
6. Larry Fitzgerald
7. Braylon Edwards
8. Chad Johnson
9. Plaxico Burress
10. Torry Holt
11. Anquan Boldin
12. Roy Williams
13. Marvin Harrisson
14. Brandon Marshall
15. Marques Colston
16. TJ Houshyourmomma
17. Greg Jennings
18. Hines Ward
19. Santonio Holmes
20. Lee Evans

forget it..i was gonna stop at 10 but thought it went through 15. Boy was I wrong- there's 64.

Hardcore Texan
03-25-2008, 09:16 PM
Doesn't surprise me but I'm really glad he's getting recognized. I've always thought he's one of the best. If you're looking at a WR to have on your team though, I think he's #1 because of no only what he brings but his age. He's younger than Moss and Owens so from our franchise standpoint he'll play for us much longer AND bring just as much if not more. Plus he's a high character person.

Here's the rest:
1. Randy Moss
2. Terrell Owens
3. Steve Smith
4. Andre Johnson
5. Reggie Wayne
6. Larry Fitzgerald
7. Braylon Edwards
8. Chad Johnson
9. Plaxico Burress
10. Torry Holt
11. Anquan Boldin
12. Roy Williams
13. Marvin Harrisson
14. Brandon Marshall
15. Marques Colston
16. TJ Houshyourmomma
17. Greg Jennings
18. Hines Ward
19. Santonio Holmes
20. Lee Evans

forget it..i was gonna stop at 10 but thought it went through 15. Boy was I wrong- there's 64.

I think he is better than TO, physically very close but equally as good plus a little younger. If AJ can catch the ball better with his hands he gets past T.O. easily. And he doesn't have the attitude.

Steve Smith, that's hard to argue, he is so freaking explosive so I can live with him ranked above AJ, although AJ can get past him with a great '08 - stat wise.

As far as Moss goes, he deserves to be number one, his talent is off the charts. Hands, speed, and high pointing the ball, it's poetry in motion.

I am so glad we have AJ, I love his demeanor, his work ethic, and his physical ability, he can play just as good as the ones ranked above him.

GuerillaBlack
03-25-2008, 09:23 PM
I think he is better than TO, physically very close but equally as good plus a little younger. If AJ get catch the ball better with his hands he gets passed T.O. easily. And he doesn't have the attitude.

Steve Smith, that's hard to argue, he is so freaking explosive so I can live with him ranked above AJ, although AJ can get passed in with a great '08 - stat wise.

As far as Moss goes, he deserves to be number one, his talent is off the charts. Hands, speed, and high pointing the ball, it's poetry in motion.

I am so glad we have AJ, I love his demeanor, his work ethic, and his physical ability, he can play just as good as the ones ranked above him.
A little younger? AJ is 8 years younger. AJ produces as well as TO is now, so AJ is only going to get better has he gets older.

DocBar
03-25-2008, 09:30 PM
I was really surprised to see Fitzgerald so low. He's a lot like AJ. Terrell is more show than go anymore.

Hardcore Texan
03-25-2008, 09:52 PM
A little younger? AJ is 8 years younger. AJ produces as well as TO is now, so AJ is only going to get better has he gets older.

I agree he will get better, that's why I said he easily beats out TO. I think AJ is better than TO now, age aside. Sorry I wasn't more specific with "a little younger", I thought it was a tad less, but WR can have a pretty long shelf life.

Ryan
03-25-2008, 10:33 PM
seems about right. I also believe he's better than TO as well though.

TK_Gamer
03-25-2008, 10:52 PM
I think AJ is 3rd also. I think his overall skill is better than Steve Smith, but he is nowhere near as explosive. Smith beats the press better than anyone I've ever seen. He can make most corners look silly at times. I think AJ has better size and presence, and at least as good route running and hands. The bad part is you can't really "teach" quickness or explosiveness, it's pretty much inherent.

b0ng
03-25-2008, 11:24 PM
Oh some of these comments left on here are just the best:

Hooperstown (8 hours ago) Report Violation | Ignore User Reggie Reggie Reggie!!! Are you serious after Andre Johnson and Steve Smith! I guess Smith is understandable but come on, Reggie carried the COLTS receiving core this past year and I might add was a starting receiver in the PRO BOWL! ANDRE JOHNSON??????? I might also add that just because Harrison had a knee injury does not put him below Roy EFFIN Williams on any day, that is just ridiculous.

Pages and pages of this. GOD I LOVE ESPN.

YellerLotYeller
03-25-2008, 11:41 PM
dcs1737 (33 minutes ago) Report Violation | Ignore User
How is Jabar Gaffney not in the top 64 Wide Receivers in the league?

Oh my god....:headhurts:

bah007
03-26-2008, 12:19 AM
I was really surprised to see Fitzgerald so low. He's a lot like AJ. Terrell is more show than go anymore.

Some people just hate TO. I wouldn't say he is my favorite player either.

But the last two years he has been 1st & 3rd in the NFL in receiving TDs.

I would say he still has some game left.

Malloy
03-26-2008, 05:53 AM

But he's now officially injury-prone :)

Vinny
03-26-2008, 09:03 AM
I remember a ton of fans dogging AJ when Carr was here as they made excuses for the gloved one...you know who you are. :pirate:

DBCooper
03-26-2008, 10:22 AM
I don't like these numbered lists.

After you reach a certain level, its not about better but better fit.

It's like trying to number supermodels. There is no better, just different.

Who would you rather have on your team, Moss, Owens, or AJ?

eriadoc
03-26-2008, 10:31 AM

Terrell Owens' TD stats for career:

All the single-digit years since 1999 are incomplete years for TO. I am no TO fan, like everyone else, because of his attitude. With that attitude, he robbed himself and his teams of probably even more production by missing time. If there is one stat that matters in football, it's scoring, and TO has scoreboard in that category. With 131 total career TDs, he ranks pretty highly all-time. Ignore the stats, and he still gives his football team a much greater chance to win than when he isn't there.

Gah ..... I feel dirty for defending TO now. Yuk.

AJ!!

Hardcore Texan
03-26-2008, 10:39 AM
I don't like these numbered lists.

After you reach a certain level, its not about better but better fit.

It's like trying to number supermodels. There is no better, just different.

Hands down, I would rather have AJ.

BigBull17
03-26-2008, 10:39 AM
Some people just hate TO. I wouldn't say he is my favorite player either.

But the last two years he has been 1st & 3rd in the NFL in receiving TDs.

I would say he still has some game left.

Dre would have been there if he hadnt missed 7 games. If Im building a team, Dre would be the 1st WR I would take, even over Moss. He does drop pass he should catch, but he also makes catches that should be dropped.

infantrycak
03-26-2008, 10:41 AM
Gah ..... I feel dirty for defending TO now. Yuk.

True, but I think this ranking reflects recognition that when AJ got a real QB his real potential was demonstrated. Playing just half a year he got a new high of 8 TD's plus was leading the league in yards per game.

Ole Miss Texan
03-26-2008, 10:46 AM
TO also drops passes he should make. Didn't he lead the league in dopped passes in '06? I'm not sure about last year- but he's notorious for dropping the easy ones.

Lucky
03-26-2008, 10:53 AM
Playing just half a year he got a new high of 8 TD's plus was leading the league in yards per game.
Prorating Johnson's stats out to a full 16 game schedule would give him 106-1512-14. More important, the Texans went 6-3 in the games AJ was on the field.

eriadoc
03-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Dre would have been there if he hadnt missed 7 games. If Im building a team, Dre would be the 1st WR I would take, even over Moss. He does drop pass he should catch, but he also makes catches that should be dropped.

He's been up and down. When he was a rookie, he dropped more than he should have, but he worked on it in the offseason and did not drop many in 2004. In 2006, he dropped more than he should have, but last year, he was much better again. I've done my best to block 2005 from my memory.

BigBull17
03-26-2008, 11:21 AM
He's been up and down. When he was a rookie, he dropped more than he should have, but he worked on it in the offseason and did not drop many in 2004. In 2006, he dropped more than he should have, but last year, he was much better again. I've done my best to block 2005 from my memory.

I agree. Just speaking from both sides. At least he doesnt take plays off. He is a beast and there isnt another guy in the NFL Id want to build my offense around. His downs come less often than they use to, but they still show up every once in a while.

Vinny
03-26-2008, 11:26 AM
He's been up and down. When he was a rookie, he dropped more than he should have, but he worked on it in the offseason and did not drop many in 2004. In 2006, he dropped more than he should have, but last year, he was much better again. I've done my best to block 2005 from my memory.Kubiak also stated that when he watched film he never saw teams cover Andre like he saw in all the years of coaching. I imagine when most of your passes are either hitch passes or in the linebacker zones any player is going to drop more passes more often. Most of the time Carr had to have AJ close to him to get him the ball....unless he threw one of his mortar lob sideline shots at him.

TEXANS84
03-26-2008, 11:41 AM
Harrison has one injury year and they drop him outside the top ten?

TexansLucky13
03-26-2008, 11:46 AM
I remember a ton of fans dogging AJ when Carr was here as they made excuses for the gloved one...you know who you are. :pirate:

I don't remember anyone doing that specifically. I was one of the biggest Carr homers on here but I NEVER doubted AJ.

Andre has had some rough spots but he was never the problem.

eriadoc
03-26-2008, 11:50 AM
Kubiak also stated that when he watched film he never saw teams cover Andre like he saw in all the years of coaching. I imagine when most of your passes are either hitch passes or in the linebacker zones any player is going to drop more passes more often. Most of the time Carr had to have AJ close to him to get him the ball....unless he threw one of his mortar lob sideline shots at him.

That might have been true except for the fact that AJ had at least two years with Carr when he dropped more passes than he should have, and then he had two years with Carr when he did a fantastic job. And they were equally distributed between the worst versions of Carr and the better version of Carr.

I just chalk it up to a mental thing, as playing for a cellar dweller is tough. At any rate, the point of my post was to point out that AJ is on an upward trend in the drops category. There is absolutely no downside to AJ if he maintains that concentration.

WesmanTexanfan
03-26-2008, 11:58 AM
whatever, we all know hes #1

Vinny
03-26-2008, 11:59 AM
That might have been true except for the fact that AJ had at least two years with Carr when he dropped more passes than he should have, and then he had two years with Carr when he did a fantastic job. And they were equally distributed between the worst versions of Carr and the better version of Carr.

I just chalk it up to a mental thing, as playing for a cellar dweller is tough. At any rate, the point of my post was to point out that AJ is on an upward trend in the drops category. There is absolutely no downside to AJ if he maintains that concentration.
I guess my point was that 4 years of Carr's limited passing game and him not being able to get him the ball further out than the linebacker coverage on the vast majority of the time probably manifests in more dropped balls than if most of your passes don't have triple coverage with a linebacker salivating to take a shot at you one or two steps away since he watched the same game tape everyone else had on Carr and knew that Carr didn't have vision.

Texan_Bill
03-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Harrison has one injury year and they drop him outside the top ten?

That surprised me a bit, too. But they are probably considering his age, who throws to him and the fact that the Colts really didn't miss a beat with him out.

Vinny
03-26-2008, 12:03 PM
That surprised me a bit, too. But they are probably considering his age, who throws to him and the fact that the Colts really didn't miss a beat with him out.
true, he's going on season 14 and will be 36 this year.

infantrycak
03-26-2008, 12:18 PM
AJ has been up and down as has TO on drops--haven't figured out how to get the historical info from the new Stats, Inc. site. Last year AJ dropped 2 of 86--2.3% and TO dropped 10 (putting him at 2nd most for WR's) of 141--7.1%

WesmanTexanfan
03-26-2008, 12:20 PM
AJ has been up and down as has TO on drops--haven't figured out how to get the historical info from the new Stats, Inc. site. Last year AJ dropped 2 of 86--2.3% and TO dropped 10 (putting him at 2nd most for WR's) of 141--7.1%

up and down? AJ? I dont recall him dropping many balls....

infantrycak
03-26-2008, 12:25 PM
up and down? AJ? I dont recall him dropping many balls....

As I recall he had 8 one season and folks were freaking out a little about it, but as a percentage of targets it was not out of line for elite WR's (high end, but not outrageous).

WesmanTexanfan
03-26-2008, 12:28 PM
As I recall he had 8 one season and folks were freaking out a little about it, but as a percentage of targets it was not out of line for elite WR's (high end, but not outrageous).

I see, he was our only wideout for a while so he got most of the passes, I guees thats what your talking about when it comes to percentage...

Double Barrel
03-26-2008, 12:36 PM

Unfortunately, the Fresno Mafia will never read this post...they left a year ago and have not been seen in Texas ever since. Check the Giants board, tho'

TexansLucky13
03-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Unfortunately, the Fresno Mafia will never read this post...they left a year ago and have not been seen in Texas ever since. Check the Giants board, tho'

I'm still here.

:tease:

Allstar
03-26-2008, 02:20 PM
I find it odd that Andre Davis didn't make the list. I mean, come on, not a top 64 receiver?? He had a great season that I would imagine would at least put him ahead of the likes of Drew Bennett and Marty Booker.

Double Barrel
03-26-2008, 03:30 PM
I'm still here.

:tease:

nah, you are a Texans fan (says so right in your name!). The Fresno Mafia was notorious for being fans of Carr, but not necessarily the team.

A lot of Texans fans supported and wanted to believe in DC. He was our QB and first overall pick of the franchise, so it is understandable. However, most of these folks came to realize what had to be done for the best interests of the team, so acceptance was in order. But it never changed the desire to root for the Houston Texans.

The Fresno Mafia, on the other hand, never cared to be Texans fans. They just put on the jersey that their boy was wearing, so last year they wore Panthers colors and this year they are Giants 'fans'.

bigbrewster2000
03-26-2008, 03:57 PM
This guy doesnt even think AJ should be in the top 20. Everyone needs to go give this guy a piece of our minds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU

brakos82
03-26-2008, 04:43 PM
Here's my Top 6:
1. Randy Moss
2. Steve Smith
3. Reggie Wayne
4. Andre Johnson
5. Chad Johnson
6. Terrell Owens

:thinking:

Texaninlild
03-26-2008, 04:46 PM

Here's the rest:
1. Randy Moss
2. Terrell Owens
3. Steve Smith
4. Andre Johnson
5. Reggie Wayne
6. Larry Fitzgerald
7. Braylon Edwards
8. Chad Johnson
9. Plaxico Burress
10. Torry Holt
11. Anquan Boldin
12. Roy Williams
13. Marvin Harrisson
14. Brandon Marshall
15. Marques Colston
16. TJ Houshyourmomma
17. Greg Jennings
18. Hines Ward
19. Santonio Holmes
20. Lee Evans

Does anyone else think that is a little high for Brandon Marshall? He can't even get by an empty Mickey Dees bag without getting tripped up.
:gun:

See photo of the incident
http://withleather.com/?start=20

brakos82
03-26-2008, 05:40 PM
Does anyone else think that is a little high for Brandon Marshall? He can't even get by an empty Mickey Dees bag without getting tripped up.
:gun:

See photo of the incident
http://withleather.com/?start=20
Hey, don't blame it on him! Those pickles are slick as all else! :aggressive:

TexansLucky13
03-26-2008, 06:00 PM
nah, you are a Texans fan (says so right in your name!). The Fresno Mafia was notorious for being fans of Carr, but not necessarily the team.

A lot of Texans fans supported and wanted to believe in DC. He was our QB and first overall pick of the franchise, so it is understandable. However, most of these folks came to realize what had to be done for the best interests of the team, so acceptance was in order. But it never changed the desire to root for the Houston Texans.

The Fresno Mafia, on the other hand, never cared to be Texans fans. They just put on the jersey that their boy was wearing, so last year they wore Panthers colors and this year they are Giants 'fans'.

Ah, I gotcha.

I am and always will be a Texans fan. I loved David and I hoped that he could turn his career around and be a leader, but that didn't happen. Unfortunately my support of David meant that I was crucified with the "Fresno Mafia" or whoever else said positive things about him. Oh well.

That time is over and I am in full support of Kubiak and the cast that he has set in place.

:texflag:

BigBull17
03-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Here's my Top 6:
1. Randy Moss
2. Steve Smith
3. Reggie Wayne
4. Andre Johnson
5. Chad Johnson
6. Terrell Owens

:thinking:

Reggie Wayne? No way Id put him over AJ. He doesnt have the game changing skill set that Dre has. He is more a product of the system than anything. Id like him on my team, dont get me wrong, but one choice between the two, its AJ 11 times out of 10.

WesmanTexanfan
03-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Reggie Wayne? No way Id put him over AJ. He doesnt have the game changing skill set that Dre has. He is more a product of the system than anything. Id like him on my team, dont get me wrong, but one choice between the two, its AJ 11 times out of 10.

yep, Brakos is insane....:lion: