PDA

View Full Version : Steve McKinney released

Errant Hothy
03-25-2008, 02:09 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5647108.html

Center Steve McKinney, an original Texan who was the first unrestricted free agent signed by the 2002 expansion team, was released today by the Texans.

McKinney, 32, has been rehabilitating a knee injury that required reconstructive surgery and cost him half of last season.

When the Texans traded for Denver's Chris Myers last week, McKinney became expendable.

However, the door is open for McKinney to return when he's healthy.

McKinney is expected back for the start of the training camp.

"It caught me off guard, but they left the door open for me to return," McKinney said. "I owe it to myself to test the market, but, truthfully, I'd like to come back here."

"They told me that I just make too much money ($1.6 million this year) to be a backup," McKinney said. "They told me they didn't want to ask me to take a pay cut, and they wanted to give me an opportunity to look around to see if I could get the same kind of money somewhere else."

So he might be back, but only as a back-up and for less money.

Does this make Pitts the last of the original Texans still on the roster?

beerlover
03-25-2008, 02:11 PM

However, the door is open for McKinney to return when he's healthy.

McKinney is expected back for the start of the training camp.

"It caught me off guard, but they left the door open for me to return," McKinney said. "I owe it to myself to test the market, but, truthfully, I'd like to come back here."

"They told me that I just make too much money ($1.6 million this year) to be a backup," McKinney said. "They told me they didn't want to ask me to take a pay cut, and they wanted to give me an opportunity to look around to see if I could get the same kind of money somewhere else."

"Right now, I'm letting it all soak in, and I'm trying to digest everything. I'm going to see what's out there, but, hopefully, I'll have a chance to come back."

Texan_Bill
03-25-2008, 02:12 PM
Fred Weary and Kris Brown

TexansLucky13
03-25-2008, 02:12 PM
I saw this coming with the trade for Myers. McKinney was good when healthy, but it looks like they are looking for the younger talent.

Whenever Pitts leaves we will have to have a moment of reflection.

Edit - Oh yea, Weary and Kris too.

CloakNNNdagger
03-25-2008, 02:13 PM

So he might be back, but only as a back-up and for less money.

Does this make Pitts the last of the original Texans still on the roster?

Can't think of anyone else off hand.

I was sort of wondering what McKinney's future was with so many young potentials now on the team...........but like you, I'm not sure that he won't be back a one of the old wiley vets nuturing the youngsters.

Errant Hothy
03-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Fred Weary and Kris Brown

Don't you mean just Kris? As Weary has yet to be resigned.

And thanks.

Texan_Bill
03-25-2008, 02:15 PM

And thanks.

Very true... my bad.

Double Barrel
03-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Out with the old...

CloakNNNdagger
03-25-2008, 02:17 PM

And thanks.

I think of Weary as already gone.

TexansLucky13
03-25-2008, 02:18 PM

And thanks.

Oh yea. So just Pitts and Brown, two productive starters.

CloakNNNdagger
03-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Out with the old...

Old is good, if you have the right mix with the young.

TexanSam
03-25-2008, 02:23 PM

And thanks.

I think Petey Faggins is an original Texan also

bigbrewster2000
03-25-2008, 02:27 PM

yep, 6th round in '02

Texan_Bill
03-25-2008, 02:27 PM

Nicely done!!!

CloakNNNdagger
03-25-2008, 02:30 PM

That's a name that I wish would already be gone.

RipTraxx
03-25-2008, 02:31 PM

Amen

Double Barrel
03-25-2008, 02:32 PM

This is true. The previous FO learned that lesson the hard way and ended up booted to the curb after the disaster of 2-14.

TexansLucky13
03-25-2008, 02:35 PM

Agreed.

WesmanTexanfan
03-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Bye Steve!!

Goldensilence
03-25-2008, 02:48 PM
With all the new names popping up more on the roster on the interior I thought this was only a matter of time. I'm not so sure things look good for Weary either at this point. The door is open for both but i wouldn't count on either being up for a starting position.

I didn't mind Steve at guard but being trotted out as a center did it for me. I'm glad we went and made the move for Myers. Thanks Steve you did your best and that's really all I can really ask from a player.:texflag:

Errant Hothy
03-25-2008, 02:48 PM
Bye Steve!!

I'm not sold on it being bye yet, Steve could very well be back. Just at a much more cap friendly number.

Now this is definitly bye-bye to the starting line-up for Steve.

leebigeztx
03-25-2008, 02:52 PM
I think the line is getting younger which is good. Versitilty is key. You need backups to play multiple spots. If spencer comes back, salaam is the swing tackle, mckinney can backup guard/center, 1 more guy should be guard/tackle backup. U need 8 olinemen, maybe 9 max.

I think the texans should be commended for giving the guy a chance to look around and come back. You can never have to many good football players.

Ole Miss Texan
03-25-2008, 02:54 PM
I don't think this is completely it for Steve. If he doesn't go anywhere else and is healthy by training camp, I can see us signing him for less (back up money). But then again none of us really know what's going to happen with Gibbs manning the OL- which is a great thing. I think Steve could be a solid back up and I like his versatility between G and C. One thing is that we've had so many injuries, it'd be great to have as many versatile players as we can, like McKinney and Myers. But whatever gibbs wants to do- I will support. He may just say he wants all new young players to coach up and start from scratch.

YellerLotYeller
03-25-2008, 02:57 PM
Maybey the G-Men will give him a deal. That way he can be reunited with his buddy as back qb and center.

More than likely he'll be back for less money thouhg.

Goldensilence
03-25-2008, 02:58 PM
I think the line is getting younger which is good. Versitilty is key. You need backups to play multiple spots. If spencer comes back, salaam is the swing tackle, mckinney can backup guard/center, 1 more guy should be guard/tackle backup. U need 8 olinemen, maybe 9 max.

I think the texans should be commended for giving the guy a chance to look around and come back. You can never have to many good football players.

Until I see him out on the field with pads on I am not counting on Charles Spencer cracking the rotation. Would be nice to see that happen though...real nice.

Tedc
03-25-2008, 03:07 PM

Easy for you to say...:tomato:

infantrycak
03-25-2008, 03:07 PM
Just at a much more cap friendly number.

How are you going to get a much more cap friendly number?

Rounding things off, Steve was due a salary of $1.35 mil this year and plus a pro-rated bonus amount of $1 mil per year (2 years remaining) for a total cap hit of $2.35 mil.

Non-June 1st cut, the $2 mil in dead money appears on this year's cap. Re-sign Steve at vet minimum of about $850k and he takes up a total of $2.85 mil or more than he was set to count.

June 1st cut (and teams can now cut people before June 1st and still designate two players as June 1st cuts)--then you have $1 mil of dead money in 2008 and another in 2009. Re-sign him and you are at $1.85 mil this year. Not a whole lot of cap savings there.

Lucky
03-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Maybey the G-Men will give him a deal. That way he can be reunited with his buddy as back qb and center.
I think McKinney's more likely to go back to Indy, with his good buddy Peyton.

badboy
03-25-2008, 03:20 PM
This is a move by Smith and Kubes to allow a player to have time to land with another team. I thought McKinney would be a valuable back up but more is known than by me. Maybe Spencer is thought to be ready to go by game one as a guard. Or some of the others. I just do not see value to cap by releasing him and ICak pointed out why. Move caught me by surprise, but I see it as a positive that we can be stronger without S.M.

TexansLucky13
03-25-2008, 03:27 PM
Check it out about releasing McKinney.

PFT (http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/) (scroll down)

Florio needs a kleenex.

El Tejano
03-25-2008, 03:27 PM
Does anyone know for sure if Myers is going to be the Center. We have quite a few centers and very few guards. Would it be real bad if Eslinger was the center and Myers played guard?

GuerillaBlack
03-25-2008, 03:32 PM
Does anyone know for sure if Myers is going to be the Center. We have quite a few centers and very few guards. Would it be real bad if Eslinger was the center and Myers played guard?
I'm pretty sure Myers will be our starting center from game one.

El Tejano
03-25-2008, 03:34 PM
I wonder how this effects our 1st round pick.

RipTraxx
03-25-2008, 03:38 PM
I wonder how this effects our 1st round pick.

Little to none i would think. We're likely going w/ a CB or LT in the 1st round

Polo
03-25-2008, 03:38 PM
eh...

I like White, Eslinger and Meyers...

AnthonyE
03-25-2008, 03:43 PM

I believe Meyers will be our starting center, but chemistry with Schaub could affect a lot.

Texans_Chick
03-25-2008, 03:53 PM
Check it out about releasing McKinney.

PFT (http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/) (scroll down)

Florio needs a kleenex.

Here is the wording of the press release:

TEXANS RE-SIGN P TURK; RELEASE McKINNEY

HOUSTON – The Houston Texans re-signed free agent P Matt Turk and released C Steve McKinney, the team announced today.

Turk (6-5, 247) played in all 16 games last season, his first with the Texans. He averaged 41.7 yards per punt with a net average of 37.4. 24 of his 55 punts (43.6 percent) were downed inside the opponents’ 20-yard line, while only three resulted in touchbacks.

Turk’s 41.7-yard gross average and 37.9-yard net average were both Texans team records, as were the 151 total punt return yards allowed to Texans opponents. His 44.5-yard net average in Week 16 at Indianapolis (12/23) also set the club single-game record. In 12 NFL seasons, Turk has averaged 42.4 yards per punt with a net average of 37.4 yards per attempt. Only 354 of his 917 career punts (38.6 percent) have been returned.

Turk becomes the sixth free agent from last year’s roster to re-sign with the Texans. He joins WR André Davis (2/29), SS Glenn Earl (3/7), TE Mark Bruener (3/10), FS Will Demps (3/20) and N.D. Kalu (3/20).

McKinney (6-4, 305) played in 83 games as a Texan, starting 73 at both guard and center. The former Texas A&M product was signed by the Texans on March 6, 2002 as the team’s first unrestricted free agent.

This is what Florio said:

He was the first unrestricted free agent signed by the Texans franchise, and he played in 83 games during his six seasons in Houston. In our view, the team’s release announcing the transaction doesn’t begin to do justice to his contributions to the expansion franchise

All I have to say is...

Steve McKinney is a great American.

One of the few people on the early Texans team who was able to show his personality to the world.

:texflag:

Best wishes to Steve.

Hardcore Texan
03-25-2008, 03:53 PM
Good luck to you Steve and thanks for being a Houston Texan.

I wouldn't mind to see him back as good depth, guess it all depends how that injury is coming, Gibbs and Kubes know what's best. This is an exciting time....I can't wait for OTA's and to see how the roster starts to take shape.

nunusguy
03-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Does anyone know for sure if Myers is going to be the Center.

Suffice it to say, its clearly his job to lose.

Mr. White
03-25-2008, 04:24 PM
Like TC said, Steve McKinney is a great American. :texflag: Ain't nobody gonna bareknuckle 'im.

Best of luck to him.

TexanSam
03-25-2008, 04:26 PM
If we could bring him back on the cheap, I'd love to have him back on the team. He may not be a starter anymore, but he would be quality depth much like Salaam is.

TexansLucky13
03-25-2008, 04:32 PM
All I have to say is...

Steve McKinney is a great American.

One of the few people on the early Texans team who was able to show his personality to the world.

:texflag:

Best wishes to Steve.

Yup, I agree. As an Ag I wish him the best of luck.

hookinreds
03-25-2008, 04:32 PM
Anticipating that he will not be back, I too would like to say thank you Steve for giving it what you could for the time you were here. Good luck where ever you land.

Hervoyel
03-25-2008, 04:37 PM

You are correct and in Petey's case that means he's sucked longer than any other player in Texans history!

Which isn't to be confused with sucking "more" than any other player in Texans history. I think that one is locked up by Mister Mittens nice and tight.

dalemurphy
03-25-2008, 05:37 PM
You are correct and in Petey's case that means he's sucked longer than any other player in Texans history!

Which isn't to be confused with sucking "more" than any other player in Texans history. I think that one is locked up by Mister Mittens nice and tight.

Jimmy Herndon
Matt Stevens
Chad Stanley in 06
Ryan Young
Jonathan Wells
Stacey Mack

TEXANS84
03-25-2008, 05:38 PM
It’s a sad day here at PFT headquarters.

The Texans have announced that they’ve cut offensive lineman Steve McKinney, who joined the team when it was founded in 2002 after starting his career with the Indianapolis Colts.

McKinney will be more remembered in these parts as the first active player who acknowledged to us that he reads the site, and he has been a good friend of the site (but never a source) for the past five-plus years.

He was the first unrestricted free agent signed by the Texans franchise, and he played in 83 games during his six seasons in Houston. In our view, the team’s release announcing the transaction doesn’t begin to do justice to his contributions to the expansion franchise.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

TEXANS84
03-25-2008, 05:39 PM
Good god Dante, read before posting.

Texans_Chick
03-25-2008, 05:41 PM
Good god Dante, read before posting.

Well, if you weren't so dang busy looking at your massive biceps in your avatar.......:cool:

TEXANS84
03-25-2008, 05:42 PM

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/rosters.nsf/Annual/2002-hou

Yep. If we get Jason Simmons back...that'll make another.

Drew_Smoke
03-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Hopefully he comes back.

SheTexan
03-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Call me dumb, I didn't see this coming. Even though I didn't approve of Steve's off season antics (killing innocent animals) I hate to see him go. As an original TEXAN as well as a native Texan, I hope he comes back, even as a backup. Just won't seem right without him on the bench.

TEXANS84
03-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Call me dumb, I didn't see this coming. Even though I didn't approve of Steve's off season antics (killing innocent animals) I hate to see him go. As an original TEXAN as well as a native Texan, I hope he comes back, even as a backup. Just won't seem right without him on the bench.

I saw it coming just the same way as when Seth Payne went down in Dallas.

Old age mixed with injury.

aj.
03-25-2008, 06:14 PM
This is the original roster from Game 1, 2002. There are more than 53 players because the Texans were given the benefit of carrying more guys on their roster than other teams during preseason and they didn't have to get down to 53 until a few weeks into the season.

WR 86 J.Gaffney
LT 69 C.Pitts
LG 70 D.Graham
C 76 S.McKinney
RG 61 F.Weary
RT 75 J.Herndon
TE 83 R.Rutledge
WR 85 C.Bradford
QB 8 D.Carr
RB 20 J.Allen
FB 47 J.Baxter

LE 96 G.Walker
NT 91 S.Payne
RE 95 J.DeLoach
LOLB 52 K.Wong
BLB 56 J.Foreman
MLB 55 J.Sharper
ROLB 98 J.Posey
LCB 31 A.Glenn
RCB 42 M.Coleman
SS 24 E.Brown
FS 26 M.Stevens

QB 11 M.Quinn
QB 12 T.Banks
RB 32 J.Wells
G 65 R.Schau
G 66 J.McKinney
T 71 T.Boselli
T 74 R.Young
T 77 T.Thomas
G 78 C.Spikes
G 79 C.Overhauser
TE 80 S.McDermott
WR 81 S.Gideon
TE 82 B.Miller
WR 84 J.Lewis
WR 88 A.Black

S 23 K.Williams
CB 28 P.Dennis
CB 30 J.Simmons
CB 33 J.Bell
FS 36 C.Carter
CB 38 D.Faggins
FB 40 E. Stansbury
FS 41 R.Walker
CB 43 K.Wright
LB 51 J.McClain
LB 54 T.Evans
LB 58 J.Lamar
LB 59 K.Mitchell
DE 92 C.Sears
DE 93 E.Flowers
DT 94 C.Hill
DT 99 W.Blade

PK 3 K.Brown
P 7 C.Stanley

DiehardChris
03-25-2008, 06:38 PM
It's so weird that the most maligned area of the team during its existence - the offensive line - still had three original members before McKinney was cut. Strange.

DocBar
03-25-2008, 06:57 PM
It's so weird that the most maligned area of the team during its existence - the offensive line - still had three original members before McKinney was cut. Strange. Pitts and Weary have been solid. McKinney used to be much maligned on these boards, but plenty of love for him lately. Also, much of the problem was Mister Mittens. He sacked himself more than the o-line.

Texans_Chick
03-25-2008, 07:08 PM
Pitts and Weary have been solid. McKinney used to be much maligned on these boards, but plenty of love for him lately. Also, much of the problem was Mister Mittens. He sacked himself more than the o-line.

Besides Mister Mittens, it probably didn't help him that he played whatever position they needed him to play. Without beyotching about it. He was really only one of the few adults on the offensive side of the ball. Going from being a baby on Manning's team to having to be one of the leaders on offense.

Until the Texans see a lot of success, the biggest selling point the franchise will have other than $$$ to a lot of free agents is that they can come back to Texas. (or at a minimum, play in the south).

Wolf
03-25-2008, 07:10 PM
Besides Mister Mittens, it probably didn't help him that he played whatever position they needed him to play. Without beyotching about it. He was really only one of the few adults on the offensive side of the ball. Going from being a baby on Manning's team to having to be one of the leaders on offense.

Until the Texans see a lot of success, the biggest selling point the franchise will have other than $$$ to a lot of free agents is that they can come back to Texas. (or at a minimum, play in the south).

true and no state tax :whip:

but truthfully I am a native Texan and love to see native Texans come back to the state and win some games ..just the inner pride in me

DiehardChris
03-25-2008, 07:10 PM
Pitts and Weary have been solid. McKinney used to be much maligned on these boards, but plenty of love for him lately. Also, much of the problem was Mister Mittens. He sacked himself more than the o-line.

Er, yeah I know all of that. I'm just saying it's funny that there were 3 of them left despite how much of a pounding our line has taken over the years.

aj.
03-25-2008, 07:20 PM
It's so weird that the most maligned area of the team during its existence - the offensive line - still had three original members before McKinney was cut. Strange.

I had a lengthy back and forth email exchange with a writer from a Sporting News recently who was passing along offensive line myths in one of his recent articles. He was shocked to learn that McKinney, Pitts, and Weary were in the starting lineup in the Texans first game ever. Yeah, two were rooks but he now sees the light a little more clearly.

Ole Miss Texan
03-25-2008, 07:50 PM
This is the original roster from Game 1, 2002.
WR 85 C.Bradford

It's a shame Corey Bradford didn't play a bigger role in us winning that game. :sarcasm:

Also, much of the problem was Mister Mittens. He sacked himself more than the o-line.

It's kind of funny (not really) that it took us (me and the majority of fans) to realize how many of the sacks really were on DC. I truthfully didn't realize the extent of it until Schaub lined up behind center. :redface:

I looked at the play-by-play from game 1 against dallas. And i was just kind of saddened when looking at our passing plays. It basically went like this: Carr incomplet pass....inc. pass...inc. pass....inc. pass... touchdown to bradford...inc. pass..inc pass,...inc pass...inc pass...touchdown to bradford...inc. pass....-3 yards to running back....inc. pass...5 yd pass to running back, etc.

yikes.

Texans_Chick
03-25-2008, 08:27 PM
I had a lengthy back and forth email exchange with a writer from a Sporting News recently who was passing along offensive line myths in one of his recent articles. He was shocked to learn that McKinney, Pitts, and Weary were in the starting lineup in the Texans first game ever. Yeah, two were rooks but he now sees the light a little more clearly.

Keep fighting the hard fights. :texflag:

DocBar
03-25-2008, 08:27 PM
It's a shame Corey Bradford didn't play a bigger role in us winning that game. :sarcasm:

It's kind of funny (not really) that it took us (me and the majority of fans) to realize how many of the sacks really were on DC. I truthfully didn't realize the extent of it until Schaub lined up behind center. :redface:

I looked at the play-by-play from game 1 against dallas. And i was just kind of saddened when looking at our passing plays. It basically went like this: Carr incomplet pass....inc. pass...inc. pass....inc. pass... touchdown to bradford...inc. pass..inc pass,...inc pass...inc pass...touchdown to bradford...inc. pass....-3 yards to running back....inc. pass...5 yd pass to running back, etc.

yikes.
I was a big time kool aid drinker in regards to Carr....:drunk:

Rex King
03-25-2008, 08:31 PM
Surprising thing about him was that he turned out to be good buddies with Carr after a lot of speculation that he didn't like him.

He was a good guy, but one thing I won't miss is hearing him talking about eating samwiches in the bathroom.

Insideop
03-25-2008, 08:52 PM
Well, I for one was a little surprised at McKinney's release. It has been my thought (as well as others) that Steve would come into TC and battle it out with Myers and others for the starting position. I figured, worst case scenario, that Steve would be the backup Center/Guard, and I guess he still could be if he comes back for less money. But now it looks like this is Myers job (Center) to lose. I just wonder how much the money really had to do with this like they say, or maybe this is a Gibbs move to start getting his kind of players in position. :thinking:

Rex King
03-25-2008, 09:08 PM
I was a little surprised as well because of the cap implications (could have held onto him through training camp) and his versatility and experience (with all the younglings at guard), but Smith and co.'s record suggests that older guys that end the season on IR don't come back. The fact that it was an ACL and he wasn't a great run blocker to begin with when they ran zone in the Capers era could have factored in as well.

swtbound07
03-25-2008, 09:14 PM
if he doesn't come back, farewell to steve, who gave his all for the texans, for very little appreciation. I respect and admire your service to the team, and wish you the best.

TK_Gamer
03-25-2008, 09:18 PM
With all the new names popping up more on the roster on the interior I thought this was only a matter of time. I'm not so sure things look good for Weary either at this point. The door is open for both but i wouldn't count on either being up for a starting position.

I didn't mind Steve at guard but being trotted out as a center did it for me. I'm glad we went and made the move for Myers. Thanks Steve you did your best and that's really all I can really ask from a player.:texflag:

I don't see what you're saying. I mean you have a right to an oppinion but I would say the opposite as far as who we had available. Flanigan looked absolutely terrible at center, our running game didnt even get going until mckinney took over. I'm not saying the guy was a pro-bowler or anything but besides the injuries, I don't think he was a bad center at all.

texasguy346
03-25-2008, 10:50 PM
I'm a little sad to see Steve go, but with the signing of Myers this outcome wasn't unexpected. If he does find a job with another team then I wish him the best of luck, but if he doesn't I hope he'll consider coming back to the Texans in some capacity.

mexican_texan
03-25-2008, 10:58 PM
He was a great part of the team, I hope he returns as a Guard.

Goldensilence
03-26-2008, 12:24 AM
I don't see what you're saying. I mean you have a right to an oppinion but I would say the opposite as far as who we had available. Flanigan looked absolutely terrible at center, our running game didnt even get going until mckinney took over. I'm not saying the guy was a pro-bowler or anything but besides the injuries, I don't think he was a bad center at all.

Part of the problem indeed was who was available. I never liked the idea of Steve going to center but the injury bug combined with how bad Flannigan looked pushed him there. He was adequate, at best, playing center and to be honest just because he is an original texan being cut shouldn't gloss that over.

Barring a great offer from another team I'm fairly sure he'll resign. I'll be glad to welcome him back as a backup guard.

barrett
03-26-2008, 12:49 AM
the thing i always liked about him was that he seemed like a true fan of this team. an employee yes, but a fan of the texans as well. i too wish him the best and hope he returns in any capacity.

i am a huge chris white fan and i hope he's given a shot to compete with meyers.

mussop
03-26-2008, 12:57 AM
Part of the problem indeed was who was available. I never liked the idea of Steve going to center but the injury bug combined with how bad Flannigan looked pushed him there. He was adequate, at best, playing center and to be honest just because he is an original texan being cut shouldn't gloss that over.

Barring a great offer from another team I'm fairly sure he'll resign. I'll be glad to welcome him back as a backup guard.

What are you talking about? McKinney was a hell of alot better at C than at G. You have it completely backwards. Go look up the Off-production in games he played Center compared to the games he played Guard and tell me there isnt a noticeable difference.

Texans_Chick
03-26-2008, 09:14 AM
Great interview happening on 1560 the Game with McKinney. Right now.

I'm sure they are going to podcast it.

Good info, and really really funny in places.

Kaiser Toro
03-26-2008, 09:20 AM
Great interview happening on 1560 the Game with McKinney. Right now.

I'm sure they are going to podcast it.

Good info, and really really funny in places.

Please provide a recap when it is over.

Texans_Chick
03-26-2008, 09:26 AM
Please provide a recap when it is over.

Only caught part of it. It's ongoing and there is a lot of funny irrelevant stuff too. (Raymond showed up).

The key information is that the Texans were uncomfortable going into OTAs and camps with no healthy center. Ergo Myers. McKinney wishes the timing of this was a little different. Yeah, teams are probably not that interested in olinemen with messed knee, but he wishes that teams knew that he might be an option. But he doesn't really crush them for it, because he understands.

I missed the beginning so I am waiting for the podcast.

Lucky
03-26-2008, 09:29 AM
Rounding things off, Steve was due a salary of $1.35 mil this year and plus a pro-rated bonus amount of $1 mil per year (2 years remaining) for a total cap hit of $2.35 mil.

June 1st cut (and teams can now cut people before June 1st and still designate two players as June 1st cuts)--then you have $1 mil of dead money in 2008 and another in 2009. Re-sign him and you are at $1.85 mil this year. Not a whole lot of cap savings there.
That's why I don't think the Texans will re-sign McKinney. Unless they incur an injury on the O-line in the preseason, and McKinney is still available. This was more about the Texans wanting to go with guys like White, Studdard, and Frye as backups than it was about the money. McKinney isn't getting any better, the young guys could.

Norg
03-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Faggins has cost us many many big plays agansit us ..... i cringe :thinking:

badboy
03-26-2008, 12:33 PM

Barring a great offer from another team I'm fairly sure he'll resign. I'll be glad to welcome him back as a backup guard.Never, but never use the word resign, rather use re-sign. Or you will be chastised as was I by the language gods! Beware! Beware, I say!

OzzO
03-26-2008, 12:36 PM
Heresay, but I homie of mine in Houston said he heard on 610 that the Cowboys may be looking to pick him up.

badboy
03-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Heresay, but I homie of mine in Houston said he heard on 610 that the Cowboys may be looking to pick him up.Maybe Dallas could become to Texans what Texans are to Denver?

Goldensilence
03-26-2008, 12:45 PM
What are you talking about? McKinney was a hell of alot better at C than at G. You have it completely backwards. Go look up the Off-production in games he played Center compared to the games he played Guard and tell me there isnt a noticeable difference.

He was "better" at center because we didn't have good center play when he was playing guard.Yes with our options at center last year he did relatively look the "best". Again that's still not saying much when Flannigan and Chris White were our other options. Not having solid center play really hurt the interior of the line and I'm really glad we went and addressed that position with Myers. I think our guards are really going to benefit from his presence on the line.

You're acting as if i said the guy sucked. Look seriously name a team that would trot Steve out at starting center?

Texans_Chick
03-26-2008, 02:47 PM
Here's a link that has a link to the entire McKinney radio interview.

Not a bad thing to be listening to in the background while you are doing something else as: 1. it is funny; 2. it's a trip through the wayback machine; 3. says a few things about the Texans.

Steve McKinney, Texans Center and Great American, Released (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/03/26/steve-mckinney-texans-center-and-great-american-released/)

Runner
03-27-2008, 05:58 PM
Too bad Dirty Steve has to go. I didn't think much of him in the beginning, but he was better than everyone they tried to replace him with. Time will tell if the Texans are better off without him this time around.