PDA

View Full Version : Restricted Free Agents

JayCee
03-21-2008, 11:23 PM
I was trying to figure out the rules behind restricted free agents, but I'm confused on one point.

If a player doesn't receive a 'qualifying offer' from his current club (and no offers from other teams) then does the player just receive his 4th year salary in his original contract?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restricted_free_agent

In the National Football League, a restricted free agent (RFA) is one with three accrued seasons of service, who has received a "qualifying" offer (a salary level predetermined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the league and its players) from his current club. He can negotiate with any club through a certain date. If the restricted free agent accepts an offer sheet from a new club, his old club has "right of first refusal," a seven-day period in which it may match the offer and retain him, or choose not to match the offer, in which case it may receive one or more draft picks for the upcoming draft from the player's new club. If an offer sheet is not executed, the player's rights revert to his old club the day after negotiations must end.

infantrycak
03-22-2008, 12:35 AM
I was trying to figure out the rules behind restricted free agents, but I'm confused on one point.

If a player doesn't receive a 'qualifying offer' from his current club (and no offers from other teams) then does the player just receive his 4th year salary in his original contract?

RFA is kind of like the Holy Hand Grenade--thou shalt proceedeth to 3, not 4, and 5 is right out.

Your scenario assumes the player has a contract in excess of three years. A RFA is a player who has three (exactly) accrued seasons and is not under contract. So a player on year three of a four year contract is not a RFA and never will be one. At the end of his contract he will be UFA.

JayCee
03-22-2008, 01:50 AM
well there you go, after your explanation it makes perfect sense.
i though they were still under contract, which is why i was confused.

thanks.