PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Smith CB/S Oklahoma

camron1269
03-20-2008, 09:57 PM
I seriously think we should draft this kid. I watched a few sooners games and Smith is a beast. We definitely need cornerback help and when dunta comes back we could even use him at safety if and when one of our 3 safeties (ccbrown, demps, earl) gets injured. we need corner and safety, this guy will take care of both pretty much. also, i have some insider news (not sure if it has been announced or anything) that he ran a 4.3 yesterday. that's impressive considering he is rehabbing from a foot injury. heck, its impressive anyways. he is ranked fairly low among corners most places (around 6-8) because they don't know about his speed, but with this report, he should be going up lists. As a safety, I haven't seen him lower than 2 behind phillips.
I say we seriously consider Reggie Smith even if there are players like Phillips, King, Flowers, Bennett, Porter, Jenkins, and maybe even Talib are available because of his versatility in the defensive backfield. thoughts?

LORK 88
03-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Reggie Smith didn't work out yesterday, he's holding a private workout on April 9th. He didn't work out at the combine either which is making me wonder why not. I wouldn't mind drafting him but I want to see what kind of numbers he puts up first.

camron1269
03-20-2008, 11:02 PM
he didnt work out at the combine because he was rehabbing his foot injury. he says he couldve done a 4.4 at the time but knew he could run better so he waited and now he ran a 4.3

LORK 88
03-20-2008, 11:15 PM
he didnt work out at the combine because he was rehabbing his foot injury. he says he couldve done a 4.4 at the time but knew he could run better so he waited and now he ran a 4.3
Are you sure he worked out? The official OU website and NFL.com are both saying he didn't work out.

camron1269
03-21-2008, 12:12 AM
i dont know if it was an official workout for a team or OU or anything but i just know for a fact he ran in the 4.3s in the past couple of days. maybe it was just with his trainer

Maddict5
03-21-2008, 12:12 AM
reggie smith is one of those sleeper players like merling that not many (including me) have seen much or know that much about but could easily end up being texans

beerlover
03-21-2008, 01:47 AM
hard to miss Smith if you watch much Sooner ball, he's a ballhawk. think his natural position is FS, excellent in run support, can blitz & does have some ball/return skills. but yeah its easy to forget some players I know, would be ideal if the Texans traded out of the 1st rd. & picked him up early 2nd :specnatz:

LORK 88
04-09-2008, 01:34 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story;jsessionid=02C91193A9ABFA8569E2AE524CD323ED? id=09000d5d806b4a39&template=with-video&confirm=true

Clocked a 4.65 and a 4.61, now you know why I never really beleive anything until it's official.

threetoedpete
04-09-2008, 01:43 PM
hard to miss Smith if you watch much Sooner ball, he's a ballhawk. think his natural position is FS, excellent in run support, can blitz & does have some ball/return skills. but yeah its easy to forget some players I know, would be ideal if the Texans traded out of the 1st rd. & picked him up early 2nd :specnatz:

Well considering some of the times posted , I'm wondering if he has the tallent to be coached up enough to get by at Cb for ten games or so..When the dust settled you'd have some interesting problems if he does have the feet and hips to make the transition.

beerlover
04-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Well considering some of the times posted , I'm wondering if he has the tallent to be coached up enough to get by at Cb for ten games or so..When the dust settled you'd have some interesting problems if he does have the feet and hips to make the transition.

guess I just don't weight forty posted times as that significant. so what he has'nt been running since before end of season, I can't understand why anyone would expect him to burn up the track today & Oklahoma Sooners 2nd Pro-Day workout.

DB Reggie Smith (6-0 1/8, 192): Ran the 40 in 4.65 and 4.61, had a 39 -inch vertical jump, 10-foot, 9-inch long jump, 4.03 short shuttle, 6.70 cone drill, ran position drills

what catches my eye is his VJ/BJ that shows me expolosion & the quickness to react faster than the man he's locked up with, any little mistake in the route or ball deleivery & can capitalize. he is also excellent in run support, & can fill the lanes like a linebacker, similar to Flowers, maybe cover two (here we go again) regardless is a solid db with skills to play in the league for years.

Polo
04-09-2008, 03:16 PM
4.6 ?

Thats rather slow...

TexansSeminole
04-09-2008, 03:23 PM
I'd take him in the 2nd or 3rd as a FS easily. Not sure if he is worth our first round pick though. When it is all said and done, he will probably be selected at the end of the first, beginning of the second.

Errant Hothy
04-09-2008, 03:24 PM
4.6 ?

Thats rather slow...

It's not that slow, espically if he were to play FS in the NFL.

Polo
04-09-2008, 03:33 PM
It's not that slow, espically if he were to play FS in the NFL.

IMO 4.61 and 4.65 are rather slow times for any DB.

Second Honeymoon
04-09-2008, 03:51 PM

Those times probably cost him a round and he goes mid to late 2nd round as a projected FS instead of a late 1st Round CB. He is a good player though and any team will be fortunate to get him so late. Its all about speed in pads anyway. track times are just a barometer and not what really matters, plus his other measurables were pretty solid.

Polo
04-09-2008, 03:57 PM
I don't put much stock in 40 times...Just opinioning that it's kinda slow...

camron1269
04-09-2008, 05:50 PM
damn that is slow. sorry for the misleading. ill have to ask what the hell was going on. i know he ran below a 4.4. malcolm kelly was complaining about surface could it make that big of a difference. over .2 seconds?
well this probably takes him out of contention for being the texans pick unless we trade down. id still love to have him on the team especially if we can get him somewhere in the second with a trade or something because i think he is going to be really good and should be a top 20 pick.

Maddict5
04-10-2008, 08:07 AM

Those times probably cost him a round and he goes mid to late 2nd round as a projected FS instead of a late 1st Round CB. He is a good player though and any team will be fortunate to get him so late. Its all about speed in pads anyway. track times are just a barometer and not what really matters, plus his other measurables were pretty solid.

damn that is slow. sorry for the misleading. ill have to ask what the hell was going on. i know he ran below a 4.4. malcolm kelly was complaining about surface could it make that big of a difference. over .2 seconds?
well this probably takes him out of contention for being the texans pick unless we trade down. id still love to have him on the team especially if we can get him somewhere in the second with a trade or something because i think he is going to be really good and should be a top 20 pick.

:yawn:

ed reed ran high 4.6's/4.7... jason allen ran 4.3.. which one would you want starting at safety for you? just saying

4.6 is plenty fast coming off an injury and if he plays big and fast on game tape

Polo
04-10-2008, 09:42 AM

ed reed ran high 4.6's/4.7... jason allen ran 4.3.. which one would you want starting at safety for you? just saying

4.6 is plenty fast coming off an injury and if he plays big and fast on game tape

I don't think anyone said that, because his time wasn't particularly fast he was going to be a bad player...Atleast I didn't...

(I don't think Reed was that slow)

LORK 88
04-10-2008, 09:44 AM

Ed Reed ran a 4.52 during his time getting ready for the draft . . .

Maddict5
04-10-2008, 01:25 PM
http://tfydraft.com/news.php?newsID=112

dirty tricks by the tacks trying to get kelly to fall to #24?

Sources have told us the decision to make a last minute switch to the location of the forty was a big surprise to the players at the work out. Those who performed in front of scouts today had been practicing and working out on the astro-turf they were told they would be working out on.

When the announcement of the switch to the slower field turf was made a number of players called their agents to get instructions as to whether or not they should run.

Sources on the scene told us it was not Oklahoma’s decision to make the switch. Rather a scout from the Tennessee Titans got rather vocal before the workout and strongly suggested the switch to the field turf.

Maddict5
04-10-2008, 01:27 PM
btw maybe i was wrong about reed.. all i remember is he didnt burn it up either- i have a feeling he ran a 4.59 not a 4.69 like i thought before

badboy
04-10-2008, 01:38 PM
FS has not been identified by Texans as a top need position. LT, RB and CB in no particular order have been noted. DE has been mentioned if someone slips. I'd be shocked if a FS is elected before 4th unless like Godfrey that is a CB whose 2nd position is FS. Our FS starter should be Demps. No other position of need has a starter that was a pro bowl alternate.

threetoedpete
04-12-2008, 11:51 AM
agreed. I find Reggie Smith's 40 time truely remarkable. He dosen't look that slow when I watched him...no where near it.