PDA

View Full Version : Rodgers-Cromartie Bust-Bound.........

Hook'er
03-16-2008, 06:13 AM
From Sporting News 2008 Draft Guide:

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie CB, Tennessee State

Rodgers-Cromartie brings to mind a former Oklahoma cornerback Andre Woolfolk, who was drafted by the Titans in 2003 and is now out of the league. Rodgers-Cromartie had an excellent Senior Bowl showing, leaving scouts trying to justify his inconsistent production at Tennessee State. Despite being taller than 6'0 with long arms and elite natural athleticism, he was consistently beaten by inferior receivers and allowed too many catches while with the 1-AA Tigers.

Hook'er
03-16-2008, 06:31 AM
Under the CB section from the Sporting News 2008 Draft Guide:

On The Rise Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie Tennessee State

For a cornerback who was veiwed by many scouts as an underachiever on film, he stepped up and had an outstanding week at the Senior Bowl.

Biggest Risk Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie Tennessee State

Although he is also listed above due to his great week in Mobile,Ala., our scouts never thought he was a good player at Tennessee State and believe major improvement is needed to become a solid NFL player.

Honoring Earl 34
03-16-2008, 10:00 AM
This is the guy ( Mike Jenkins ) nobody talks about anymore . I wonder if he's the real and will fall to 18 .

Vinny
03-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Woolfolk didn't have his speed or his hips...bad comparison

alphajoker
03-16-2008, 11:49 AM
From Sporting News 2008 Draft Guide:

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie CB, Tennessee State

Rodgers-Cromartie brings to mind a former Oklahoma cornerback Andre Woolfolk, who was drafted by the Titans in 2003 and is now out of the league. Rodgers-Cromartie had an excellent Senior Bowl showing, leaving scouts trying to justify his inconsistent production at Tennessee State. Despite being taller than 6'0 with long arms and elite natural athleticism, he was consistently beaten by inferior receivers and allowed too many catches while with the 1-AA Tigers.

Under the CB section from the Sporting News 2008 Draft Guide:

On The Rise Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie Tennessee State

For a cornerback who was veiwed by many scouts as an underachiever on film, he stepped up and had an outstanding week at the Senior Bowl.

Biggest Risk Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie Tennessee State

Although he is also listed above due to his great week in Mobile,Ala., our scouts never thought he was a good player at Tennessee State and believe major improvement is needed to become a solid NFL player.

These reports are kind of conflicting. Are these the pro's and con's or did the Sporting News change their opinion? Do you have a link?

Lucky
03-16-2008, 01:49 PM
Despite being taller than 6'0 with long arms and elite natural athleticism, he was consistently beaten by inferior receivers and allowed too many catches while with the 1-AA Tigers.These reports are kind of conflicting.
They definitely conflict with Cromartie's NFL.com bio (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/dominique-rodgers-cromartie?id=306).

In 39 starts for the Tigers, opposing quarterbacks completed just 55 of 161 passes (34.16%) thrown in Rodgers-Cromartie's immediate area. He intercepted 11 of those throws, deflected 25 and held the opposition to a miniscule 3.54 yards per pass attempt, the best of any collegiate defensive back over the last three seasons.How does allowing 34% completions become "consistently beaten"?

Woolfolk didn't have his speed or his hips...bad comparison
What's ironic is that Woolfolk was outperformed by a couple of smaller school CBs drafted behind him, Rashean Mathis & Charles Tillman.

Kaiser Toro
03-16-2008, 02:00 PM
They definitely conflict with Cromartie's NFL.com bio (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/dominique-rodgers-cromartie?id=306).

How does allowing 34% completions become "consistently beaten"?

What's ironic is that Woolfolk was outperformed by a couple of smaller school CBs drafted behind him, Rashean Mathis & Charles Tillman.

Dude.....you're so right.

BSofA04
03-16-2008, 02:12 PM
I wouldn't call him bust-bound but he certaintly isn't as polished as other CB's. The ceiling on this guy is pretty high though.

steelbtexan
03-16-2008, 02:41 PM
He's the only guy I would take over a qualityb LT or DE in this draft.

Second Honeymoon
03-16-2008, 03:19 PM
well Deion is working the guy out and he just raves about the guy, albeit obviously biased. I know Deion was really high on Cromartie last year and that guy had a great rookie campaign. Deion also noted that Jimmy Johnson likes Rodgers-Cromartie as much as Deion and last year Jimmy Johnson was widely chided for saying preseason-NFL that Cromartie was the best football player in last year's draft. I am sure Adrian Peterson and Patrick Willis have something to say about that, but the guy had an insane rookie season and if the draft was done over he would be a Top 4 pick easy in hindsight (behind Thomas, Petersen, and Russell). Can his cousin follow suit under the tutelage of Neon Deion? Who knows, but I respect Deion's opinion on talent and he said the guy just oozes the stuff.

Spled
03-16-2008, 03:46 PM
If we go secondary I'd like Kenny Phillips.

Maddict5
03-16-2008, 04:32 PM
well Deion is working the guy out and he just raves about the guy, albeit obviously biased. I know Deion was really high on Cromartie last year and that guy had a great rookie campaign. Deion also noted that Jimmy Johnson likes Rodgers-Cromartie as much as Deion and last year Jimmy Johnson was widely chided for saying preseason-NFL that Cromartie was the best football player in last year's draft. I am sure Adrian Peterson and Patrick Willis have something to say about that, but the guy had an insane rookie season and if the draft was done over he would be a Top 4 pick easy in hindsight (behind Thomas, Petersen, and Russell). Can his cousin follow suit under the tutelage of Neon Deion? Who knows, but I respect Deion's opinion on talent and he said the guy just oozes the stuff.

:thinking:
umm.. cromartie was drafted two years ago.. last yr was his second... continue on

Hook'er
03-17-2008, 08:25 AM
These reports are kind of conflicting. Are these the pro's and con's or did the Sporting News change their opinion? Do you have a link?

It's from the Sporting News Football Draft Guide 2008, on news stands right now. It has Chris Long & Glenn Dorsey on the cover.

Hook'er
03-17-2008, 08:48 AM
Here is some more from the rankings: (from the SN Draft Guide)

They have him ranked 10th out of the CB's
NFL comparision: Fabian Washington, Raiders
Strenghts:Is an elite athlete with physical tools NFL coaches covet. Shows the hands to make tough interceptoins. Also has the speed and playmaking ability as a punt returner.
Weaknesses:Is a better athlete than football player. Allowed inferior receivers to separate and catch passes. Lacks natural instincts and often reacts late to receivers routes. Shows sloppy and raw technique, raising questions of how well he learns from coaching. Does not play with intensity.
Bottom Line:Rodgers-Cromartie is a premier athlete who improved his draft stock tremendously at the Senior bowl, but must show that wasn't an aberration. Don't be suprised if an NFL team drafts Rodgers-Cromartie as high as Round 1. However, he's a long way from being polished.

Lucky
03-17-2008, 10:36 AM
Here is some more from the rankings: (from the SN Draft Guide)
Weaknesses:Is a better athlete than football player. Allowed inferior receivers to separate and catch passes. Lacks natural instincts and often reacts late to receivers routes. Shows sloppy and raw technique, raising questions of how well he learns from coaching. Does not play with intensity.
I think most would agree that Cromartie isn't as polished as the top major college corners in this draft. The question I have with this writeup is, who are these inferior receivers catching passes on him? Because that opinion flies in the face of data provided by NFL.com.

As far as questions regarding how Cromartie takes coaching, his improvemnt over the Senior Bowl week seems to indicate a positive aspect in his game. I'm not necessarily advocating Cromartie as the Texans selection. Just pointing out some inconsistencies in this particular internet scouting report.

Houston TexanUK
03-17-2008, 01:50 PM
I seem to remember one journalist saying the same about Ladainian Tomlinson....

TexansSeminole
03-17-2008, 02:09 PM
This guy has alot of potential but I don't think he will be a starter right away. I dont think he will be a bust either. He needs to build a bigger frame before he can start in the NFL. Teams aren't going to spend a top 10 on a guy that can't start right away. Maybe in the top 15 if someone is really high on him. There are so many other corners, I don't know that he will stand out enough to be taken before our pick. I see Leodis McKelvin, Mike Jenkins, and maybe Aqib Talib and/or Antoine Cason going before DRC.

The question is do you take him? He would bring help bring alot of athleticism to our secondary. The problem is his transition period, from Tennessee State to the AFC South, is coming at a time where we need a new solid cornerback to play opposite Fred Bennett to have a successful defense next year. If he comes along slowly we might be pushing for Dunta to get back.

I'm not sure you take him. The only two corners I would take with our pick are Leodis McKelvin and Mike Jenkins.

threetoedpete
03-17-2008, 02:11 PM
I seem to remember one journalist saying the same about Ladainian Tomlinson....

Yes and my counter to the he's too small argument was I never saw anyone get a clean shot on the guy.

Look the guy is raw. But what he has are elite feet and an elite break on the ball. Wanna be safe draft Cason....Wanna go to the SB...put your chips on Hoke and DRC. You're buying what you believe he will be in two seasons. and that is....
the ablity to shut down half of the feild. He has those kind of numbers if he gets the technique. Judging by what Hoke has done in the past with vitrtually nothing at times...from my tree it's prety safe bet.

beerlover
03-24-2008, 11:23 AM
John Murphy was just on Sports radio 610 w/McClain & he stated that Cromartie is now, probably, the top cover corner in the draft. rated ahead of McKelvin because Leodis lacks elite ball skills (translates to playmaker). He mentioned Talib next as the #3 cb but qualified that with "questionable on tape" comment. Jenkins #4 with note on needs to adjust approach to becoming a more complete package (better in run support). #5 Antoine Cason if a team plays a cover 2, does not cover well man to man. for what its worth.

as mentioned in my "Almost Complete Mock Draft" I have Talib going to the Texans because #1 he fits the soft zone Rhodes uses, elite athlete with size & speed plus has the ball skills to be a playmaker.

nunusguy
03-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Talib is the one corner I hope we DON'T draft, atleast with our # 18.
In the combine workouts for CBs I thought he looked very ragged and undisciplined with unimpressive quickness. He just didn't look like a first round pick to me.

beerlover
03-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Talib is the one corner I hope we DON'T draft, atleast with our # 18.
In the combine workouts for CBs I thought he looked very ragged and undisciplined with unimpressive quickness. He just didn't look like a first round pick to me.

understand your frustration, but every time I pen it out it just works that way. there are other positions of need you know, most of which Rick Smith would be happy to trade down & address but then it seems so would the rest of the league. another player John Murphy mentioned as an excellent fit for our system who presents a whole new dimension for Gibbs zbs is UT Jamaal Charles & I agree whole heartedly with his assesment which I brought up in my "Almost Compete Mock Draft" that DeSean Jackson & Jamaal Charles as being two under the radar playmakers undeneath one out of the backfield the other out of the slot who create mismatches for teams to defend thus opening up other options on offense. not only would I understand those picks I would be happy if they make them. just depends which corner or tackle is still available @ #18 :cool:

badboy
03-24-2008, 03:33 PM
understand your frustration, but every time I pen it out it just works that way. there are other positions of need you know, most of which Rick Smith would be happy to trade down & address but then it seems so would the rest of the league. another player John Murphy mentioned as an excellent fit for our system who presents a whole new dimension for Gibbs zbs is UT Jamaal Charles & I agree whole heartedly with his assesment which I brought up in my "Almost Compete Mock Draft" that DeSean Jackson & Jamaal Charles as being two under the radar playmakers undeneath one out of the backfield the other out of the slot who create mismatches for teams to defend thus opening up other options on offense. not only would I understand those picks I would be happy if they make them. just depends which corner or tackle is still available @ #18 :cool:Wow, just wow. I have been pushing Jamaal Charles but most indicated not someone we want. I think even LZ doubted Charles ability to rush between the tackles. Charles appear to me also as perfect for LBS especially now we have Brown @ RB. it would be interesting to see both in the back field in some formations. Especially if we had Anthony Aldridge as a 7th round lined up in slot to do end arounds.

Edited to say Charles in 2nd round not at #18.

Hook'er
03-31-2008, 10:38 PM
Jenkins @ 18!:texflag:

Hook'er
03-31-2008, 11:23 PM
.............or Cason!:drool: