PDA

View Full Version : LB Chaun Thompson to visit | update: signed contract 3-14

Wolf
03-13-2008, 07:08 PM
From what the fatty with no neck is saying, we're looking at Chaun Thompson too.

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2008/03/im_excited_about_texans_rbs_fi.html

I didn't want to derail the CB thread that we were looking at..so HOU-TEX first showed this

this is a 5 part serious on Chaun before the draft and i realize people change after 5 years in the league but

This is the first in a series as SI.com follows West Texas A&M linebacker Chaun Thompson in the weeks leading up to the 2003 NFL Draft in April.

By B. Duane Cross, SI.com

He has the size -- 6-foot-2 and 240 pounds -- and the speed -- timed at 4.53 in the 40. Now all West Texas A&M linebacker Chaun Thompson wants is the chance to play on Sundays.

With E.J. Henderson, Mario Haggan, Terry Pierce and Bradie James garnering most of the hype for inside íbackers at the NFL Scouting Combine last month, Thompson felt like a wide-eyed kid while walking among the players heíd previously only seen on TV.

Maybe now those "big-name" players will tell their grandchildren of being on the same field as Thompson.

"After doing my physical," Thompson said of his initial combine experience, "I looked down at my shorts, and thought, 'Dude, Iíve got on new NFL gear! Iíve got my name on my back!' I was really happy.

"Then I walked in and bench-pressed 225 [pounds] 29 times. I was pumped about that; others didnít get as many. Those Division I players are just like me; youíve got to hit the weight room and work hard."

2nd part
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2003/draft/news/2003/03/19/thompson_two/
3rd part
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2003/draft/news/2003/03/25/thompson_three/
4th part
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2003/draft/news/2003/04/10/thompson_four/
5th part
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2003/draft/news/2003/04/24/thompson_five/

Wolf
03-13-2008, 07:09 PM
not much but his cleveland browns page
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/player.php?id=235

can play inside or outside

Errant Hothy
03-13-2008, 07:21 PM
I'd assume he would be the SAM backer; where his blitz skills could be best used.

Errant Hothy
03-13-2008, 07:29 PM
Texans | Team meets with C. Thompson
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 14:19:05 -0700

Tony Grossi, of The Plain Dealer, reports the Houston Texans met with free-agent LB Chaun Thompson (Browns) Thursday, March 13. Thompson is scheduled to take a physical with the Texans Friday, March 14.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Already scheduling a physical? Maybe they are close on a deal?

CloakNNNdagger
03-13-2008, 07:56 PM
not much but his cleveland browns page
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/player.php?id=235

can play inside or outside

Monday, March 3, 2008
Who is Chaun Thompson?[/ (http://www.seahawkaddicts.com/2008/03/who-is-chaun-thompson.html)

He is a versatile linebacker that the Seahawks may be eying help shore up the reserve corps, which was decimated by the loss of Kevin Bentley and Niko Koutouvides. Adam Caplan states......

While the Cleveland Browns are still interested in re-signing Chaun Thompson, a league source told Scout.com the versatile free agent linebacker has also drawn the interest of the Seattle Seahawks.

Seattle lost versatile backup LB Kevin Bentley to the Houston Texans on Monday and are looking for a linebacker, such as Thompson, who is capable of playing multiple linebacker positions.

For another thrilling scouting report......

007 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 57 | Key
Alert: TM

Comment: Thompson has good size, speed and in-line explosiveness. He is somewhat versatile. He has played outside linebacker and now aligns inside. He is a playmaker who has untapped ability. He is a high-effort defender who can pursue and chase down plays from the back side in the run game. He can make quick reads and disrupt plays before they gain any momentum. He has enough functional strength to set the edge on the outside. He can bend the edge and close with a burst to the quarterback. He is a valuable kickoff cover guy who can blow up a ball carrier. But Thompson has a lot of holes in his game. He isn't a very good take-on player. He prefers to slip blocks and isn't very explosive or technically sound in stack-and-shed mode. He lacks fluidity and struggles to flip his hips in space. He makes occasional jaw-dropping plays, but not consistently. He doesn't pick things up quickly.

GP
03-13-2008, 08:29 PM
As a West Texas A&M University graduate, and as a fan who has seen virtually every WTAMU home game since 1997, I can say that Chaun is THE type of player and PERSON that McNair wants on this team.

I have seen Chaun play for WTAMU, and I have followed him during the time he spent on the Browns. He was mostly a 3rd down LB due to 4.53 speed (used as a blitzer on most 3rd downs), but he started getting lots more reps due to some injuries to other LBs on the team. From what I remember, he began playing a fairly large role over the course of many seasons in Cleveland. IMO, he was a casualty of a crowded LB crew, and a lot of his interviews tend to point towards that assumption.

As a person, Chaun is top notch. He hasn't forgotten his home, where he came from, and he gives a lot back to this area. He needed some hours to get a degree, and he finished it up after going pro. He's a dedicated person.

I'm obviously a homer for the guy. Would love to see us sign him.

Here's some articles on Chaun from our local newspaper:

A Good Pre-Draft Article With Lots of Background Info (http://www.amarillo.com/stories/042003/wts_wt042003-1.shtml)

"In his years at WT, Thompson had shifted position, seen a succession of position coaches come and go, lost his grandmother and recovered from a broken elbow. His statistics were good but not spectacular. Thompson played most of his senior season in 2002 hobbled with an ankle sprain but recorded 100 tackles for the third straight season.

"He played hard every down," Head Coach Ronnie Jones said. "People in the conference were aware of him and what he meant to our team. It's a tribute to him and his character that he was named LSC linebacker of the year and all-conference and all-American."

Chaun Returns Home to WTAMU (http://www.amarillo.com/stories/050703/wts_thomp.shtml)

"This is a pleasure. Every time I sign an autograph, maybe it will change somebody's life for the better. I know that if I make a mistake, all this could end. People are looking up to me, and I know I've got to provide a positive role model," Thompson said.

Thompson Interview After Losing to the Texans in '06 Season (http://www.amarillo.com/stories/010707/nfl_6489081.shtml)

"I know this team is getting better," the 6-2, 250-pounder said. "It's all about making plays in this league. If you make them, you win. If you don't, you lose."

Thompson has been an iron man since the start of his NFL career. He has played in all 64 Browns games since he has been a pro, starting 13 in 2004 and 15 in 2005.

Wolf
03-13-2008, 09:11 PM
so he might be a cheaper Jason Babin type :tease:

serious nice work GP thanks for the info
We will see what happens

TEXANRED
03-13-2008, 09:20 PM
Hate to rain on anyones parade but how does a guy who cant crack the starting rotation of the worst defense in the league supposed to help us?

brakos82
03-13-2008, 09:22 PM
What does '5 part serious' mean? :thinking:

Errant Hothy
03-13-2008, 09:24 PM
Hate to rain on anyones parade but how does a guy who cant crack the starting rotation of the worst defense in the league supposed to help us?

I think the switch from a 3-4 D to our 4-3 D could really help the kid.

On the plus side he is durable depth at the worst...if we even sign him.

Wolf
03-13-2008, 09:25 PM

I am hoping he is at least a better version than Danny clark

for me, we still need holes filled for we still need a draft or two (good ones) so I am hoping if he were to sign he can fill a spot or two and he can play ST

gary
03-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Hate to rain on anyones parade but how does a guy who cant crack the starting rotation of the worst defense in the league supposed to help us? Good question.

ArlingtonTexan
03-13-2008, 09:44 PM
Good question.

Will Demps could not even make an NFL roster last year.
Kevin Walter was the 4th WR with the Bengals.
Andre Davis could not contribute with the Browns or Bills two horrible offenses.
Sage Rosenfels was not a regualr starter with Miami.

I could probably go on.

The job of a GM and scouting department is to locate players that have some chance to be better here than they were somewhere else. Does it work every time? Of course not. As long as the team is not overpaying for the "risk" of this type of player the Texans are welcome to sign as many as responsible salary cap management will allow.

TEXANRED
03-13-2008, 09:50 PM
Andre Davis could not contribute with the Browns or Bills two horrible offenses.

I could probably go on.

The job of a GM and scouting department is to locate players that have some chance to be better here than they were somewhere else. Does it work every time? Of course not. As long as the team is not overpaying for the "risk" of this type of player the Texans are welcome to sign as many as responsible salary cap management will allow.

Will Demps was IR'd and was playing for the Giants.
Kevin Walter was playing behind Chad, TJ, and Chris Henry
Andre Davis until last year was injury prone and could not stay healthy
Rosenfels was playing against the ghost of Moreno. No QB that has gone there has had any type of success since.

I am not trying to be negative but we are looking for upgrades and I just dont see how a guy who cant beat out guys who wouldnt have been able to start for our team, come in and help us out.

ArlingtonTexan
03-13-2008, 10:00 PM
Rosenfels was playing against the ghost of Moreno. No QB that has gone there has had any type of success since.

I am not trying to be negative but we are looking for upgrades and I just dont see how a guy who cant beat out guys who wouldnt have been able to start for our team, come in and help us out.

So who is the the Texans 5th LB right now?

Wolf
03-13-2008, 10:02 PM

I think we are doing like last year, not overspending and building depth.. Drafting is the key here, we have to get our "Studs" through the draft

TEXANRED
03-13-2008, 10:10 PM

You will get no argument from me that we need one, I just don't see how this particular guy can help our team win.

I think we are doing like last year, not overspending and building depth.. Drafting is the key here, we have to get our "Studs" through the draft

I would not be the least bit surprised to see the Texans draft a LB with our first pick.

CloakNNNdagger
03-13-2008, 10:16 PM
Looks like Thompson (http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1205397251219180.xml&coll=2) is soon-to-be off the table:

Thursday, March 13, 2008
Tony Grossi
Plain Dealer Reporter

Nearly tapped out in free-agency spending without having added any linebackers, the Browns are focusing on re-signing Chaun Thompson.

They have been negotiating to bring back the defensive role player and special teams contributor, and hope to have a two-year deal done today. Thompson, a second-round draft choice of the Browns in 2003, has not visited any other teams.

gary
03-13-2008, 10:20 PM

I could probably go on.

The job of a GM and scouting department is to locate players that have some chance to be better here than they were somewhere else. Does it work every time? Of course not. As long as the team is not overpaying for the "risk" of this type of player the Texans are welcome to sign as many as responsible salary cap management will allow. If any one can work with him and make him better it's Gary K.

ArlingtonTexan
03-13-2008, 10:22 PM
You will get no argument from me that we need one, I just don't see how this particular guy can help our team win.

I would not be the least bit surprised to see the Texans draft a LB with our first pick.

The good news is that we fans don't have to see it. While you tried to spin them, those moves they were either not thought of or thought of negatively at the time they occurred by the general fanbase. All of those guys helped us become better than we were. Upgrading player number 42 just does seem like much in March. We will have to see in October.

TEXANRED
03-13-2008, 10:49 PM
The good news is that we fans don't have to see it. While you tried to spin them, those moves they were either not thought of or thought of negatively at the time they occurred by the general fanbase. All of those guys helped us become better than we were. Upgrading player number 42 just does seem like much in March. We will have to see in October.

I am not trying to spin anything, I thought the Demps move was luck, no way does a non injured Demps join the Texans. The second the ink dried on the contract Demps was our best safety in franchise history.

I was very high on Walter with what he was able to due at Eastern Michigan and knew he just needed a shot. He is still a third receiver though.

A.D. came on and I was impartial. Knew he was athletic but couldn't stay injury free and never lived up to his billing.

Rosenfels I was not to high on. I felt he was a journeyman QB. I still feel that way unless Schaub keeps getting hurt.

The Texans really have not done anything to surprising, they have cut or not resigned the people I thought did not help this team win. I was surprised by the Earl resign and the CC Brown tender. Other than that, no Dayne, no Clark, no Hutchins, no Flanagan, no Putzier, and Green should be next now that Brown is on board.

In fact there was a thread a while back on who should go and who should stay, that would be a good thread to bring back to see how close a lot of us were at this point in the season.

ArlingtonTexan
03-13-2008, 11:42 PM
I am not trying to spin anything, I thought the Demps move was luck, no way does a non injured Demps join the Texans. The second the ink dried on the contract Demps was our best safety in franchise history.

I was very high on Walter with what he was able to due at Eastern Michigan and knew he just needed a shot. He is still a third receiver though.

A.D. came on and I was impartial. Knew he was athletic but couldn't stay injury free and never lived up to his billing.

Rosenfels I was not to high on. I felt he was a journeyman QB. I still feel that way unless Schaub keeps getting hurt.

The Texans really have not done anything to surprising, they have cut or not resigned the people I thought did not help this team win. I was surprised by the Earl resign and the CC Brown tender. Other than that, no Dayne, no Clark, no Hutchins, no Flanagan, no Putzier, and Green should be next now that Brown is on board.

In fact there was a thread a while back on who should go and who should stay, that would be a good thread to bring back to see how close a lot of us were at this point in the season.

I agree they have not done anything surprising, but they told us that before FA started. They warned you there was not going to be high dollar action.

Generally, if the current administration was bringing in Chaun Thompson with a multiple year contract with a decent signing bonus claiming he was a starter, I would be all over it. when they are bringing a back-up LB to be a back-up LB nothing for to me to take a jab at especially when we don't have anyone doing that job now.

CloakNNNdagger
03-14-2008, 06:38 AM
Disregard

Vinny
03-14-2008, 09:40 AM
The year he was drafted many thought he would take years to develop since he was an outstanding athlete but didn't have the football instinct that you like to have. I'm pretty sure he hasn't developed like the Browns have wanted (kinda a Antwaan Peek-like prospect)

HOU-TEX
03-14-2008, 10:00 AM

Hmm, let's see, there's Kevis Coley and maybe that Mexican guy that was in Camp.

Eh.....good point. :)

infantrycak
03-14-2008, 10:17 AM
Looks like Thompson (http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1205397251219180.xml&coll=2) is soon-to-be off the table:

No offense, but the source isn't that credible when it says he hasn't visited anyone and he is in Houston right now.

Lucky
03-14-2008, 10:45 AM
Rosenfels was playing against the ghost of Moreno.
Who can live up to the standards of a CFL All Star like Zeke Moreno?

What?

P.S. What's the correct pronunciation of Thompson's given name? Is it like Shawn, as in Shawn "Baby Daddy" Kemp? Or is it Khan, like in Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan? Because, "Wrath of Chaun" would be a pretty cool gameday sign.

Errant Hothy
03-14-2008, 10:47 AM

What?

P.S. What's the correct pronunciation of Thompson's given name? Is it like Shawn, as in Shawn "Baby Daddy" Kemp? Or is it Khan, like in Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan? Because, "Wrath of Chaun" would be a pretty cool gameday sign.

KIRK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Malloy
03-14-2008, 10:55 AM

What?

Lucky, you're drinking too early in the day :)

beerlover
03-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Lucky, you're drinking too early in the day :)

no such thing. its always happy hour somewhere :toast2:

TexanAddict
03-14-2008, 11:11 AM
The year he was drafted many thought he would take years to develop since he was an outstanding athlete but didn't have the football instinct that you like to have. I'm pretty sure he hasn't developed like the Browns have wanted (kinda a Antwaan Peek-like prospect)

This is kinda interesting since Peek is now with the Browns and we are now looking at Thompson. Would almost be a swap of LBs with potential. Although, it should probably be noted that the Browns switched to a 3-4 defense that may not have suited Thompson, and we switched to a 4-3 defense that was not a good fit for Peek.

WaywardTexanFan
03-14-2008, 02:20 PM
Texans signed LB Chaun Thompson, formerly of the Browns.
Cleveland had a two-year offer on the table, so he likely got an extra year or more money. Thompson, 28, figures to battle at the SAM with Kevin Bentley. He can rush the passer, having notched 10 sacks as a sub during his Cleveland stint.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=HOU

What are y'alls thoughts? I like the signing.

Errant Hothy
03-14-2008, 02:23 PM
Cleveland had a two-year offer on the table, so he likely got an extra year or more money. Thompson, 28, figures to battle at the SAM with Kevin Bentley. He can rush the passer, having notched 10 sacks as a sub during his Cleveland stint.

I like the signing as well, while atleast on the surface I need to see the dollars involved to make a final judgement.

bigbrewster2000
03-14-2008, 02:27 PM
2 years 4 mil, 600,000 guaranteed. Its another reasonable signing. chaulk another one up to Smith. He is putting road graders all thru the roster without breaking the bank. those #s are in the link above.

HOU-TEX
03-14-2008, 02:28 PM

I like the signing as well, while atleast on the surface I need to see the dollars involved to make a final judgement.

I'm with the both of y'all. I dig the signing. It was probably cap friendly and it'll provide more competition in camp.:doot:

At least this season the competition for the SAM will be younger players. Diles, Bentley and Thompson.

Errant Hothy
03-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Contract update:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5620133.html

The Texans have reached a two-year contract agreement worth $2.4 million and a $650,000 signing bonus with outside linebacker Chaun Thompson, an unrestricted free agent from the Cleveland Browns.

Nothing wrong with this at all.

http://images.chron.com/photos/2005/11/20/10430023/311xInlineGallery.jpg

Vinny
03-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Contract update:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5620133.html

Nothing wrong with this at all.
he is a physical specimen....at worst case he can make us a little more physical and still has some upside I assume.

Hardcore Texan
03-14-2008, 03:01 PM
I think he is solid depth at a good price from what I have read on here about him. That's pretty much my knowledge on him, so I like it. Seems like he can rush the pasher, situational player, will play some ST's, good 40 speed, etc.

Have we picked up any OL yet in FA, weren't we talking to a Center this week or next?

texdawg
03-14-2008, 03:29 PM
You guys got a good player. He'll be a stud on special teams and will fight for a spot on D. Great contributor. Definately a rotation guy with fresh legs. I'm surprised the Browns did not lock him up. Good luck to Chaun and the Texans.

HOU-TEX
03-14-2008, 03:34 PM
You guys got a good player. He'll be a stud on special teams and will fight for a spot on D. Great contributor. Definately a rotation guy with fresh legs. I'm surprised the Browns did not lock him up. Good luck to Chaun and the Texans.

Why did he lose his starting role? He did start for a couple seasons, right? I like Peek, but it wasn't him that beat him out was it?

Do you think he'll fit the 4-3 better than the 3-4?

Sorry for all the ?'s. Just curious :)

HoustonFrog
03-14-2008, 03:50 PM
See this is the type of signing I like. New blood, some team speed, not too expensive...just bits and pieces that add up on the collective defense or offense. I think it is this type of work that Smith really makes his mark.

TEXANS84
03-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Good price, I'm all for it.

Hey, we can chalk it up as our second round pick 5 years removed!

Second Honeymoon
03-14-2008, 03:53 PM

I could probably go on.

great point. all these guys are pretty much the same speed in pads, its all about putting them in position to make plays and coaching/using them in such a way that they show production and improve.

i like the fact that almost all our pickups are young players that still have upside and could blossom in the Texan's program. We are still building through youth and now seem to be able to attract players without having to overpay due to the expansion tag.

infantrycak
03-14-2008, 03:58 PM
Why did he lose his starting role?

D'Qwell Jackson beat him out.

texdawg
03-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Why did he lose his starting role? He did start for a couple seasons, right? I like Peek, but it wasn't him that beat him out was it?

Do you think he'll fit the 4-3 better than the 3-4?

Sorry for all the ?'s. Just curious :)

I do not get see all the games and will not try to act like some know it all scout. My opinion of what I have seen is that Chaun was in a situation in Cleveland where he was under-utilized. By that, I mean that the coach (Romeo) almost ALWAYS plays veterans over less experienced and more athletic guys. Exceptions are Joe Thomas and Eric Wright.

I do not believe Chaun actually ever was a consistant starter, maybe I'm wrong. Either way, if he was, he did not register as any sort of star as LB. He made some plays that as a fan you say " why doesn't he play more?". Part of why some (female dog) about Romeo.

Sorry I'm not an expert and can't give more detailed info on his potential. But, you should know that as a Browns fan, I'm not alone in thinking that the Browns let a good player go.

HOU-TEX
03-14-2008, 04:05 PM
I've been checking out a few Browns MB's and several people seem to think he's a bit slow upstairs. They said he wasn't able to adjust from the team switching defenses so much.

Most seem to agree that he's a very good player who makes alot of big plays. Everyone says he's a burner and the reason Cribbs has had success in the return game.

I'm glad to have him. Especially at the price agreed to. :)

Vinny
03-14-2008, 04:14 PM
D'Qwell Jackson beat him out.
Jackson is a hell of a player and picked right after DeMeco when he was drafted.

Goldensilence
03-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Looks like this year the Linebacking corps has a chance to turn around like our WR's last year.

CloakNNNdagger
03-14-2008, 04:20 PM
No offense, but the source isn't that credible when it says he hasn't visited anyone and he is in Houston right now.

Obviously, "It is what it is." :tearup:

hobie
03-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Well it's good that they are going after players who have some upside, that being said though, his numbers aren't that great, but adds depth and has experience. With the D line coming into it's own and the LB's building to be better, it's looking like this team will be able to add pressure to opposing teams. And then add that the salary hit is low, so not overspending is the biggest thing...
Kubiak and Smith are building it slow, but it is coming along !

CloakNNNdagger
03-14-2008, 04:33 PM
I've been checking out a few Browns MB's and several people seem to think he's a bit slow upstairs. They said he wasn't able to adjust from the team switching defenses so much.

Most seem to agree that he's a very good player who makes alot of big plays. Everyone says he's a burner and the reason Cribbs has had success in the return game.

I'm glad to have him. Especially at the price agreed to. :)

Does this mean we've picked up another player with bad knees????????:tomato:

Vinny
03-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Does this mean we've picked up another player with bad knees????????:tomato:
Think of it this way, we now have Chaun for Antwaan. :photos:

Overalls
03-14-2008, 04:39 PM
Well it's good that they are going after players who have some upside, that being said though, his numbers aren't that great, but adds depth and has experience. With the D line coming into it's own and the LB's building to be better, it's looking like this team will be able to add pressure to opposing teams. And then add that the salary hit is low, so not overspending is the biggest thing...
Kubiak and Smith are building it slow, but it is coming along !

I think this is a solid pick up. I think they are counting on him to come in and compete for a starting job but aren't handing it to him. If nothing else he could be a solid rotation guy. As you said his numbers for last season aren't great but he had the same number of sacks as Weaver did last season as our starting DE. The chain keeps getting stronger.

:fans:

kiwitexansfan
03-14-2008, 04:42 PM
If only for his special teams impact it is a great signing. Our special teams is a good unit and if Thompson can push that another step forward I'm all for it.

The battle for the SAM spot should be fascinating. Am I right that it will be Diles vs. Bentley vs. Thompson? Whoever emerges from that talented trio will be a worthy player for the team.

Brandon420tx
03-14-2008, 04:44 PM
I have one question though, Can he cover? Sure he's fast, but can he cover from the linebacker spot too? That would help alot in our defense.

infantrycak
03-14-2008, 04:52 PM
I have one question though, Can he cover? Sure he's fast, but can he cover from the linebacker spot too? That would help alot in our defense.

He covers better than Danny Clark.

Porky
03-14-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm kinda hoping he turns into the Browns reject of the year. I kinda liked the last one. :doot:

V3rm0nt3r
03-14-2008, 05:18 PM
does this mean that Greenwood is gone?

Thompson comes in and they are pretty high on Diles.

is he ridiculously overpayed or am i just cheap?

RipTraxx
03-14-2008, 05:32 PM
does this mean that Greenwood is gone?

Thompson comes in and they are pretty high on Diles.

is he ridiculously overpayed or am i just cheap?

Dont think Greenwood is going anywhere. The competition is for the Strong Side or SAM linebacker position. Diles, Thompson and perhaps Bentley/Draftee will compete.

Diles seems a little small to play that backer. He'd have to cover tight ends and from what i hear he's not all that fast.

I'd say Thompson is the front runner at that spot.

Porky
03-14-2008, 05:45 PM
If we can sign one of those corners coming in - Bryant or Dyson, I really think we might go with a LT in the draft in rd 1. It's a good draft for them, and having a Bryant/Dyson and a Reeves takes the pressure off a bit on the CB position. Take a LT in rd 1, CB in rd 3, and best available from there at any position of need.

maddogmrb
03-14-2008, 05:52 PM
Looks like a good backup ....... which is what we lost. Upgrade, maybe, but probably not. We've stayed about even.

Thorn
03-14-2008, 05:55 PM
If we can sign one of those corners coming in - Bryant or Dyson, I really think we might go with a LT in the draft in rd 1. It's a good draft for them, and having a Bryant/Dyson and a Reeves takes the pressure off a bit on the CB position. Take a LT in rd 1, CB in rd 3, and best available from there at any position of need.

Agreed, except I'd like them to get an RB in the third. But an LT or a CB/safety with that first pick.

Imatexanfan
03-14-2008, 07:28 PM
The Texans have reached a two-year contract agreement worth $4 million and a $650,000 signing bonus with outside linebacker Chaun Thompson, an unrestricted free agent from the Cleveland Browns.

Still, I'd like to see some competition for his spot. I believe Thompson can play all three LB positions, so maybe if it's a neck-and-neck race between he, Diles, and Bentley on one side, Kubes will try whoever is in 2nd place in that race on Greenwood's side too.

We can't have playmakers at every position. Nobody does. I think a lot of teams would like to have a solid, not spectacular LB like Greenwood.

Also - guess who had the highest base salary on the Texans last year? Morlon Greenwood. $3,264,000. Others made more money after bonuses and such - but as far as base salary, Greenwood topped the list. Second-highest base salary? Anthony Weaver. :aggressive:

ATXtexanfan
03-14-2008, 07:38 PM
this offseason is working out great, starting to look like bpa in the draft, it's nice to have people that know what they're doing

Wolf
03-15-2008, 01:45 AM
someone made a point about losing the expansion tag

I probably (like normal) over analyze things..

I wonder how much of the decision process beside money was get the chance to play next to Williams and Ryans

RipTraxx
03-15-2008, 01:58 AM
this offseason is working out great, starting to look like bpa in the draft, it's nice to have people that know what they're doing

All hail Rick Smith.

bigbrewster2000
03-15-2008, 09:12 AM
2 years 4 mil, 600,000 guaranteed. Its another reasonable signing. chaulk another one up to Smith. He is putting road graders all thru the roster without breaking the bank. those #s are in the link above.

Conflicting stories. NFL Network reports this deal as 2 years 2.4 mil, 605,000 guaranteed. That makes this an even better signing for a versatile depth/SP guy.

rickyb
03-15-2008, 09:43 AM
See this is the type of signing I like. New blood, some team speed, not too expensive...just bits and pieces that add up on the collective defense or offense. I think it is this type of work that Smith really makes his mark.

Smith is probably one of the top 3 signings in the history of our organization.

GP
03-15-2008, 10:36 AM
Smith is probably one of the top 3 signings in the history of our organization.

Rep your way. I agree: Rick Smith is earning all of his salary.

I know I'm critical of QB/RB situations here, which is also a function of Rick Smith's job, but overall the guy is doing a great job.

CloakNNNdagger
03-15-2008, 11:40 AM
he is a physical specimen....at worst case he can make us a little more physical and still has some upside I assume.

Something I don't think that has been mentioned.................In his rookie year 2003, he played in all 16 games................and has played UNINJURED in every subsequent game to date............

03-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Something I don't think that has been mentioned.................In his rookie year 2003, he played in all 16 games................and has played UNINJURED in every subsequent game to date............

don't jinx it!!! :gun:

beerlover
03-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Chaun is a solid addition- all the way around. adds length & edge rusher, excellent speed/vertical to disrupt passing lanes. starter material.

GP
03-15-2008, 07:23 PM
In an interview, post-game, after the losing to us at the end of the '06 season...Chaun said that next year (07) the Browns would be a playoff team.

He was almost right...but I bet none of us (nor most fans in America) would have predicted it. That tells me that he has a nose for analysis; he has the ability to see "down the road" and to anticipate based on his knowledge of things.

As a WTAMU grad (where Chaun played college ball) I am definitely biased, and I think he's a quality person, so I tend to hype a guy who is maroon & white like me.

CND's right: The guy is an iron man. Unless a freakish thing happens, we won't be seeing him in-and-out of the lineups all the time. If I'm not mistaken, he spend a lot of time on special teams early on...so, he adds value in that respect, too.

So glad he's on the team. I hope he prospers back home in the Lone Start state.

Hook'er
03-16-2008, 07:35 AM
Looks like a good backup ....... which is what we lost. Upgrade, maybe, but probably not. We've stayed about even.

I think he could win the starting job.

TK_Gamer
03-16-2008, 08:48 AM
I like the signing, I like the Bentley signing also, our LB corps just got twice as deep IMHO. I also think we will not see a big drop off if either of them or Diles has to spell Ryans in the Middle, wich is huge to me. I think as good as Ryans is, he shouldnt have to take every snap. Fresh LB's are quicker LB's.

AnthonyE
03-16-2008, 09:46 AM
I like the signing, I like the Bentley signing also, our LB corps just got twice as deep IMHO. I also think we will not see a big drop off if either of them or Diles has to spell Ryans in the Middle, wich is huge to me. I think as good as Ryans is, he shouldnt have to take every snap. Fresh LB's are quicker LB's.

I have to agree with this. I like this signing as well. :)

HOU-TEX
03-17-2008, 12:06 PM
Does anyone think he might be told to add a few more lb's and become our 3rd down speed rusher? I'm just thinking aloud again so be nice.:)

From everything I've read about him, his speed and pass rushing abilities are his strengths and his "smarts" are not. I'd say throw him in there on third downs and let'em eat.

badboy
03-17-2008, 01:34 PM
My initial evaluation of him was he would back up Greenwood and could play all 3. I anticipated the SAM to be Diles with Bentley supporting unless he could beat out the sophomore. With Diles allegedly being slower, I'm now thinking Diles may remain in a back up role unless he has a great TC and Chaun and Bentley will compete for starter on strong side. Over all the LB corps appear much stronger than last year and quicker on the right.

michaelm
03-17-2008, 01:57 PM
In an interview, post-game, after the losing to us at the end of the '06 season...Chaun said that next year (07) the Browns would be a playoff team.

He was almost right...but I bet none of us (nor most fans in America) would have predicted it. That tells me that he has a nose for analysis; he has the ability to see "down the road" and to anticipate based on his knowledge of things.

As a WTAMU grad (where Chaun played college ball) I am definitely biased, and I think he's a quality person, so I tend to hype a guy who is maroon & white like me.

LOL... nose for analysis... yeah, I'd say you might be a little biased...
Another way to look at it is that he was just being a cocky young football player, and was nearly correct in saying they would make the playoffs...

http://lh3.google.com/Craigerman/R0skeiLtRyI/AAAAAAAAB0E/BobeIvnUsIA/s144/HBK%20102.jpg
But he "missed it by that much"

maddogmrb
03-18-2008, 10:11 AM
I think he could win the starting job.

Well, I hope you are right. But, it also depends on the quality of his competition, right? Which is ????

Specnatz
03-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Well, I hope you are right. But, it also depends on the quality of his competition, right? Which is ????

Maybe that is why they let Barber, Clark and Anderson walk, because they were not that good (although I thought Clark played well). So you bring in someone who is better and can push the position even more. I am sure your take on it will have a more negative tone.

TexansLucky13
03-18-2008, 01:08 PM
LOL... nose for analysis... yeah, I'd say you might be a little biased...
Another way to look at it is that he was just being a cocky young football player, and was nearly correct in saying they would make the playoffs...

http://lh3.google.com/Craigerman/R0skeiLtRyI/AAAAAAAAB0E/BobeIvnUsIA/s144/HBK%20102.jpg
But he "missed it by that much"

He would have been right if it weren't for Dungy giving the Titans that win.

michaelm
03-21-2008, 01:37 AM
He would have been right if it weren't for Dungy giving the Titans that win.