PDA

View Full Version : Andre Dyson visits

mussop
03-13-2008, 05:47 AM
According to the Chron.com we are interested in two veteran cornerbacks, Andre Dyson and Fernando Bryant, although neither has a visit set up.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5614462.html

Its good to see that we are continuenly looking to upgrade important positoins of weekness.

HOU-TEX
03-13-2008, 10:34 AM
From what the fatty with no neck is saying, we're looking at Chaun Thompson too.

Now that the Texans know that backup outside linebacker Danny Clark is leaving, they've turned their attention to Chaun Thompson, a former second-round pick with the Browns.

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2008/03/im_excited_about_texans_rbs_fi.html

False Start
03-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Wow , Danny Clark is a goner ? Anyone know where to ? I kind of liked the guy .

HOU-TEX
03-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Wow , Danny Clark is a goner ? Anyone know where to ? I kind of liked the guy .

Giants

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48058

hadaad
03-13-2008, 10:47 AM
Wow, Chaun Thompson, Kevin Bentley... All we need is Andra Davis and we have the whole crappy Browns linebacking corps.

03-13-2008, 11:07 AM
i'll pass on bryant...

AustinJB
03-13-2008, 11:09 AM
Wow, Chaun Thompson, Kevin Bentley... All we need is Andra Davis and we have the whole crappy Browns linebacking corps.

Yeah, we also signed the "crappy" ex-Browns receiver...and the "crappy" ex-Dolphin QB.

Maybe you remember them...their names are Andre Davis and Sage Rosenfels.

Just making a point that being unsuccessful somewhere else doesn't necessarily translate to never having success.:cool:

hadaad
03-13-2008, 11:11 AM
I have faith in our front office. If they feel these guys can get the job done, then good. Get them signed. I just thought it was weird we were going after another Browns linebacker.

TheRealJoker
03-13-2008, 11:15 AM
I remember Chaun Thompson's draft stock skyrocketing after a monster combine or pro day. Great athlete but came from a small school and never panned out as a pro. Maybe Bush can coach him up?

AustinJB
03-13-2008, 11:19 AM
I have faith in our front office. If they feel these guys can get the job done, then good. Get them signed. I just thought it was weird we were going after another Browns linebacker.

Yeah, I hear you. It is sometimes a little puzzling the players that we target, but the results of an improving team speak for themselves IMO. I was just giving you a hard time. :doot:

I have faith in our current front office too because they seem to find gems where others see only garbage. Hopefully the current group of FA will continue the trend. One could argue Green is the exception to this, but at least when he is healthy, he's still good.

Lucky
The good news is that Rick Smith won't give up 2nd & 3rd round picks for them.

Errant Hothy
I remember Chaun Thompson's draft stock skyrocketing after a monster combine or pro day. Great athlete but came from a small school and never panned out as a pro. Maybe Bush can coach him up?

Thompson will also be switching from a 3-4 LB to a 4-3 LB, some guys fit one system better then the other.

HOU-TEX

Johnny Holland would be more of an immediate influence before Bush. Holland's the LB's coach. Bush is a Senior Defensive assistant, whatever that is. LOL :cool:

TheRealJoker
03-13-2008, 11:40 AM
Well maybe they can coach him up together!!!

Malloy
03-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Giants

Its the new Texans - Giants connection :)

False Start
03-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Giants

Thanks bud , I appreciate that . :cool:

ArlingtonTexan
03-13-2008, 03:28 PM
The idea with all of these names is that the Texans are not giving any compensation for them, not giving long-term, high dollar contracts and not offering guaranteed starting positions. Go figure, you know that depth thing that comes to play every year, the Bryants, Dysons, and thompson of the world provide that. the one thing you can do with free agency is improve players say 35-53. Improving the bottom of your roster is not exciting, but a long needed tool.

badboy
03-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Sometimes it is just a good feeling or connection you establish with another employer that actually wants you and tells you a chance will be given to show what you can do.

drewmar74
03-13-2008, 04:01 PM
The idea with all of these names is that the Texans are not giving any compensation for them, not giving long-term, high dollar contracts and not offering guaranteed starting positions. Go figure, you know that depth thing that comes to play every year, the Bryants, Dysons, and thompson of the world provide that. the one thing you can do with free agency is improve players say 35-53. Improving the bottom of your roster is not exciting, but a long needed tool.

Agreed.

I think this is something that a lot of folks miss out on when it comes to FA. Just because we're not signing high-dollar stud FA's doesn't mean that we're not improving the roster.

Think of it as incremental improvement. It may not be hugely gratifying, but it works.

After all, how many times have we seen the Redskins go bananas in FA and sign a handful of overpriced FA's in the offseason only to go 7-9 or 6-10? Throwing around tons of cash isn't always the solution unless you're one or two pieces away from that SB ring. We're not that close and I think that a lot of what Rick and Gary are doing is smart.

Doubly smart, actually, given our injury history. A number 4 CB may not be that important to another team but when you've got a history of going through players like most people go through napkins at a BBQ joint - well, those depth guys are important

bigbrewster2000
03-13-2008, 04:48 PM
Agreed.

I think this is something that a lot of folks miss out on when it comes to FA. Just because we're not signing high-dollar stud FA's doesn't mean that we're not improving the roster.

Think of it as incremental improvement. It may not be hugely gratifying, but it works.

After all, how many times have we seen the Redskins go bananas in FA and sign a handful of overpriced FA's in the offseason only to go 7-9 or 6-10? Throwing around tons of cash isn't always the solution unless you're one or two pieces away from that SB ring. We're not that close and I think that a lot of what Rick and Gary are doing is smart.

Doubly smart, actually, given our injury history. A number 4 CB may not be that important to another team but when you've got a history of going through players like most people go through napkins at a BBQ joint - well, those depth guys are important

rep to you. I am glad I wasnt drinking anything when I read that.

PHAROAH
03-13-2008, 05:10 PM
I like both Dyson & Bryant the question we need to ask is which has the most left in the Tank and which one of these guys fit our system the best in bump & run coverage? I like both of them because they both have tons of starting experience in big games so they probably could step right in from day one and help our team. I like Fernando Bryant because he has so much starting experience and plus he was former 1st rounder with the Jags the question with him is how much speed does he still have?

infantrycak
03-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Bryant has only 7 INT's in his career. That is pretty pitiful.

Goldensilence
03-13-2008, 07:38 PM
Agreed.

Psht Drew come on man.... at 8-8 you can get into the playoffs in the NFC. Unlike those teams in the AFC central that finish 8-8 and get fourth in the division still.

all ribbing aside great post. :cool:

infantrycak
03-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Jeez, do these on air types like Matt Jackson just pull stuff out of their posteriors? He just said he preferred Bryant because he gambles to try to make the big play.

Hmmm, Bryant 9 years, 7 Int's, 2 FF vs. Dyson 7 years, 22 Int's, 4 FF. Sure seems like his logic is bass ackwards.

edo783
03-14-2008, 08:41 PM
Jeez, do these on air types like Matt Jackson just pull stuff out of their posteriors? He just said he preferred Bryant because he gambles to try to make the big play.

Hmmm, Bryant 9 years, 7 Int's, 2 FF vs. Dyson 7 years, 22 Int's, 4 FF. Sure seems like his logic is bass ackwards.

Naw, it's just that new math stuff. Kinda confusing you ask me.

Hook'er
03-16-2008, 06:37 AM
............any new news on either Dyson or Bryant?

Lucky
03-19-2008, 12:21 PM
............any new news on either Dyson or Bryant?
Bryant is visiting St. Louis & Denver (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/03/19/bryant-signing-coming/).

El Tejano
03-19-2008, 12:36 PM
I hope he decides to come here. I think he can do well with us.

Errant Hothy
03-20-2008, 11:15 AM
Bryant signed with the Patriots.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/03/20/bryant-joins-the-pats/

The New England Patriots have begun the process of rebuilding a secondary depleted by free agency by signing cornerback Fernando Bryant.

A league source tells us that Bryant has signed a one-year deal with Pats.

camron1269
03-20-2008, 08:48 PM
bryant sucks.
if we get dyson do you guys think we will still get a corner in round 1? that would give us bennett, faggins, reeves, dyson, fletcher, and of course robinson when he returns. even though i dont see 2 legit starters outside of dunta (bennet might) i dont think the front office would invest a 1st round pick on a corner after getting reeves and dyson. fletcher was decent last year too. he made a nice play on brandon marshall to prevent a TD i remember that much.

Hervoyel
03-20-2008, 09:02 PM
bryant sucks.
if we get dyson do you guys think we will still get a corner in round 1? that would give us bennett, faggins, reeves, dyson, fletcher, and of course robinson when he returns. even though i dont see 2 legit starters outside of dunta (bennet might) i dont think the front office would invest a 1st round pick on a corner after getting reeves and dyson. fletcher was decent last year too. he made a nice play on brandon marshall to prevent a TD i remember that much.

I don't think adding Dyson has any effect on whether or not we get a corner in round 1. Nor do I think that adding Chris Brown precluded picking a RB in the first round. We just haven't been after the kind of free agents this year that have you saying "OK, that's covered. We're done there".

I doubt we do a RB in the first round and believe a CB is much more likely but I'm just saying, I think things are still wide open. People like Brown, Dyson (if we signed him) or this guy we got from the Cowboys give us the flexibility to take BPA which is some good stuff.

Fox
03-26-2008, 08:36 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted somewhere. Andre Dyson stopped by Reliant today. Seems like a solid pick up to me. He isn't over the hill (28 y.o.) and he has good experience. Should be better than Dexter McCleon in any case.

linkage: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5651344.html

DiehardChris
03-26-2008, 08:40 PM
Good to see Dyson coming in. The Jets actually had a top ten secondary last year in terms of passing yards allowed per game... but he did only play in 9 games.

In any case - he would be better off the bench than what we had last year, and at this point in free agency, that's pretty much what you're after - improving on your depth.

El Tejano
03-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Any word on if he will be signed or not?

badboy
03-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Any word on if he will be signed or not?I heard he left after visit with no contract offer. Chronicle I think.

Texaninlild
03-28-2008, 04:24 PM
From what the fatty with no neck is saying, we're looking at Chaun Thompson too.

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2008/03/im_excited_about_texans_rbs_fi.html

You mean the one that :drool: over :texans chick: in every blog or video?

TexanSam
03-28-2008, 05:30 PM
Either one would be good depth. It would be another under the radar move by Smith and Kubes that will still help the team.

BTW, is Jamar Fletcher still on the team?

DiehardChris
03-28-2008, 07:05 PM
Fletcher is under contract still, yes.

The Chronicle actually said that Dyson left without signing a contract... it didn't say one way or the other if we actually offered him one.

infantrycak
03-28-2008, 09:03 PM
Fletcher is under contract still, yes.

Yes he is signed through 2008.

DiehardChris
03-28-2008, 10:28 PM
His 2008 contract pays Fletcher 1.05 million dollars.

How do we feel about that? He didn't really contribute last year at all that I can remember.

The Pencil Neck
03-29-2008, 12:25 PM

How do we feel about that? He didn't really contribute last year at all that I can remember.

Yes, he did. He had some big plays in several games. He broke up some passes in the end-zone and played some guys hard.

DiehardChris
03-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Huh. I don't remember him making any big plays. Maybe he's worth that amount then.

The Pencil Neck
03-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Huh. I don't remember him making any big plays. Maybe he's worth that amount then.

In limited playing time, he made 12 tackles, forced a fumble, and defensed 3 passes. I just remember one or two of those defensed passes either in the end-zone (in the Denver game, iirc) or in a big time situation. The fact that we're not talking about him getting burned like Faggins is a good thing, too. :)

TexansSeminole
03-29-2008, 01:43 PM

The thing about corners is that you never know when you need them. And if you have a crap backup, and he's forced into time, you're really screwed. Fletcher is not a very good player, but there are alot worse, so he is probably worth that million.

TheRealJoker
03-29-2008, 04:48 PM
In limited playing time, he made 12 tackles, forced a fumble, and defensed 3 passes. I just remember one or two of those defensed passes either in the end-zone (in the Denver game, iirc) or in a big time situation. The fact that we're not talking about him getting burned like Faggins is a good thing, too. :)

That forced fumble led to Mario's td in the season opener fyi.

hadaad
03-30-2008, 12:07 PM

To compare, everybody's favourite punching bag got a million from the Superbowl champs.

2slik4u
03-30-2008, 07:31 PM
i'll pass on bryant...

i agree, ill pass on franklin but ill take dyson for a bargain. i think we might be able to use him in some defensive packages if not just a special teams player. i would like him to become a texan if and only if we get him for next to nothin.