PDA

View Full Version : Myers Traded and Signed

Pages : [1] 2

ccdude730
03-12-2008, 07:42 PM
The Texans are bringing in Denver Broncos center Chris Myers (http://www.nfl.com/players/chrismyers/profile?id=MYE166731), a third-year restricted free agent, for a visit on Thursday.

Myers, 26, started 16 games for the Broncos last season. If they Texans elect to sign Myers to an offer sheet, the Broncos will have a week to match. If the Broncos don’t match, they’ll receive a sixth-round draft choice as compensation.

Link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5614462.html)

article also says that brown was in town and will visit with the team again tomorrow. john mentions 2 veteran FA corners, andre dyson (http://www.nfl.com/players/andredyson/profile?id=DYS438619) and fernando bryant (http://www.nfl.com/players/fernandobryant/profile?id=BRY358653), that the texans are interested in

CloakNNNdagger
03-12-2008, 08:35 PM
Link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5614462.html)

article also says that brown was in town and will visit with the team again tomorrow. john mentions 2 veteran FA corners, andre dyson (http://www.nfl.com/players/andredyson/profile?id=DYS438619) and fernando bryant (http://www.nfl.com/players/fernandobryant/profile?id=BRY358653), that the texans are interested in

The good on Myers is that he has shown versatility in playing everywhere on the OL except for LT. For that matter, I believe back in college he even played long snapper. He has the reputation of being like a stump..........hard to move by the D. However, he also appears to have the mobility of a stump..........?for ZB?????

drewmar74
03-12-2008, 08:45 PM
Wasn't Dyson the player who was having problems with seizures?

phantom17
03-12-2008, 09:41 PM
The good on Myers is that he has shown versatility in playing everywhere on the OL except for LT. For that matter, I believe back in college he even played long snapper. He has the reputation of being like a stump..........hard to move by the D. However, he also appears to have the mobility of a stump..........?for ZB?????

Hahahaha! I had agood laugh @ this!

ObsiWan
03-12-2008, 10:18 PM

That was Samari Rolle with the Ravens.

DiehardChris
03-12-2008, 10:58 PM

No, but Bryant was the one who started for Detroit all last season - a team that was somehow MUCH worse in the secondary than the Texans were. :gun:

drewmar74
03-12-2008, 11:11 PM
No, but Bryant was the one who started for Detroit all last season - a team that was somehow MUCH worse in the secondary than the Texans were. :gun:

Fan-freakin-tastic

Maybe it was the scheme.... or a lack of pressure up front...... maybe?

DiehardChris
03-12-2008, 11:23 PM
Fan-freakin-tastic

Maybe it was the scheme.... or a lack of pressure up front...... maybe?

Let's just go with that. LOL

False Start
03-12-2008, 11:38 PM
I saw on Channel 11 they were talking about the Texans and I just caught the tail end of a clip and they were showing Will Smith of the Saints . Hes a good player IMO ......... I don't know what the clip was about , but they said Texans news when we come back , and by the time I came back in the room I just caught that small part of the end of the story . I dunno ....... maybe I'm just misinterpreting what I saw .

TEXANS84
03-12-2008, 11:40 PM
I saw on Channel 11 they were talking about the Texans and I just caught the tail end of a clip and they were showing Will Smith of the Saints . Hes a good player IMO ......... I don't know what the clip was about , but they said Texans news when we come back , and by the time I came back in the room I just caught that small part of the end of the story . I dunno ....... maybe I'm just misinterpreting what I saw .

I believe it was on Carr signing with the Giants, because Smith got up from sacking a Carolina player.

??, my volume was at mute.

DiehardChris
03-12-2008, 11:52 PM

Yeah, Smith's under contract and everything... but man, that would sure be awesome. Oh HELL with it, start the rumor thread!

False Start
03-13-2008, 12:44 AM
I believe it was on Carr signing with the Giants, because Smith got up from sacking a Carolina player.

??, my volume was at mute.

Yeah that was probably it .......... :heh:

Second Honeymoon
03-13-2008, 01:12 AM
He played with Eric Winston at Miami too. Would be worth a 6th Round pick to fix the OL position that has been our weaklink since Day One (yes I feel that Center has been more detrimental than our LT play since '02...call me crazy)

A 6th Rounder would kinda suck to give up but if you got the cap space and its a friendly deal, then you pull the trigger. obviously if we are even contemplating it Gibbs likes the guy and agrees with me that our Center play/talent level is inadequate at the present time.

ArlingtonTexan
03-13-2008, 01:37 AM

Where did you get this? My understanding is that he is just the opposite a typical ZBS OL who is techincal and quick, but has some issues with holding the point of attack.

CloakNNNdagger
03-13-2008, 07:32 AM
Where did you get this? My understanding is that he is just the opposite a typical ZBS OL who is techincal and quick, but has some issues with holding the point of attack.

In college, I had opportunity to watch him. He was a "push forward" type of player. He had a superlative supporting OL. Last year at Denver, their OL was not the force of past, and he did not appear to be a dominance in the center. His foot work to me seemed somewhat mechanical and awkward. At 6'5", I would like to ask especially Vinny (but anyone is welcome to respond) if he feels that height would be something that hinders him at the center position. Classically you want someone who can take up space and is relatively low to the ground. Are these qualifications less important/unimportant in the smooth running ZBS. Greg Eslinger, before his injury was thought to be Denver's center of the future. He has a more prototypical height of 6'3".

bigbrewster2000
03-13-2008, 10:05 AM
In college, I had opportunity to watch him. He was a "push forward" type of player. He had a superlative supporting OL. Last year at Denver, their OL was not the force of past, and he did not appear to be a dominance in the center. His foot work to me seemed somewhat mechanical and awkward. At 6'5", I would like to ask especially Vinny (but anyone is welcome to respond) if he feels that height would be something that hinders him at the center position. Classically you want someone who can take up space and is relatively low to the ground. Are these qualifications less important/unimportant in the smooth running ZBS. Greg Eslinger, before his injury was thought to be Denver's center of the future. He has a more prototypical height of 6'3".

Well the height issue with Centers isnt necessarily because it hinders them as much as it does the QB that is trying to see over them. That is one of the primary reasons that you dont see tall centers. If he knows how to use his leverage correctly his height shouldnt be too much of an issue from the position stand point.

Lets hope Matt can see over his head:cool:

badboy
03-13-2008, 11:11 AM
The Texans continue to pick through the leaves. Unfortunately, the healthy ones are still on the tree.

bigbrewster2000
03-13-2008, 11:19 AM
The Texans continue to pick through the leaves. Unfortunately, the healthy ones are still on the tree.

I am not really sure where you are going with this comment. I would maybe understand it if we werent targeting a 3rd year player that has been tendered by Denver and was their starting Center last year.

Now if we were discussing a 30+ year old, oft injured RB I would agree. :shades:

Lucky
03-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Well the height issue with Centers isnt necessarily because it hinders them as much as it does the QB that is trying to see over them.
Another Center the Texans have looked at, John Wade, is listed at 6'5". Doesn't seem to be an issue with the Texans.

HOU-TEX
03-13-2008, 12:51 PM
Another Center the Texans have looked at, John Wade, is listed at 6'5". Doesn't seem to be an issue with the Texans.

I think Schaub is 6'5" too. If an OLineman is blocking at his full height, it wouldn't be for long because he'd be knocked on his butt.

bigbrewster2000
03-13-2008, 12:57 PM
I think Schaub is 6'5" too. If an OLineman is blocking at his full height, it wouldn't be for long because he'd be knocked on his butt.

I gave this info because, the general rule of thumb for interior guys is typically under 6'4". I was being coy with the Schaub thing.

Errant Hothy
03-14-2008, 01:09 PM
Myers update:
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8565774

A Broncos starter at left guard and center last season, Myers is a restricted free agent who Thursday visited with the Houston Texans.

No offer sheet was presented and Myers was scheduled to return home today. But the fact Myers has already started making visits nearly five weeks before the restricted free agency period passes indicates he will draw considerable interest.

"I'm going to keep my options open," Myers said. "If a team makes an offer, I'll look at it. If not, I don't want to leave Denver, anyway. I started my career there and I love it there. It's a win-win."

At first glance, the Broncos would figure to match an offer to Myers because they would only get the Texans' sixth-round draft pick in return.

However, if Houston offers a "starter" contract to Myers, the Broncos may balk at paying big dollars to a player who may not beat out left guard Ben Hamilton or center Tom Nalen, who are expected to be back healthy next season.

It sounds like the only way to get Myers is to offer him the starting gig at C and pay him like a starter, and lose a late round draft pick. He left without an offer.

I'm curious to see how this plays out.

hookinreds
03-14-2008, 01:20 PM
If Myers was in the draft this year, where would you have him slotted to be picked?

badboy
03-14-2008, 01:36 PM
I am not really sure where you are going with this comment. I would maybe understand it if we werent targeting a 3rd year player that has been tendered by Denver and was their starting Center last year.

Now if we were discussing a 30+ year old, oft injured RB I would agree. :shades:It was a quick emotional post. We seem to be looking at FAs that threaten to "leave" their teams and use Htown to get more $ (part of the business I know), old over the hill players or injured guys we hope will make it through a few games. I don't see Myers signing with Texans but hey, we can't say Smith isn't bringing 'em in.

HOU-TEX
03-14-2008, 02:22 PM
Myers update:
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8565774

It sounds like the only way to get Myers is to offer him the starting gig at C and pay him like a starter, and lose a late round draft pick. He left without an offer.

I'm curious to see how this plays out.

It sounds as if it's already played out, Hoth. At least for us anyways.

Thanks for the update. :)

Vinny
03-14-2008, 04:21 PM

You are right that bigger and taller hasn’t always been better like the other linemen. Olin Kreutz and Tom Nailen are two of the best linemen in the NFL and both are about 6’2 - 6'3 and also less than 300 pounds. The Center is probably the smallest guy on the line on just about every team since you really want a player with some flexibility with the guy snapping the ball. Being able to get low and build a base is important so long tall types usually don’t play here but I’ve seen some pretty tall Centers in the league the last few years.

Seems he would be better at pass blocking since he could keep guys off his body but would have more trouble in short yardage. I think with all the swing players and limited rosters, and really tall interior Defensive Tackles, the 'undersized' Center may be more rare going forward especially since it’s harder to justify a line spot to a guy that can only play one position due to his size unless he is the best of his position.

RipTraxx
03-14-2008, 04:29 PM
You are right that bigger and taller hasn’t always been better like the other linemen. Olin Kreutz and Tom Nailen are two of the best linemen in the NFL and both are about 6’2 - 6'3 and also less than 300 pounds. The Center is probably the smallest guy on the line on just about every team since you really want a player with some flexibility with the guy snapping the ball. Being able to get low and build a base is important so long tall types usually don’t play here but I’ve seen some pretty tall Centers in the league the last few years.

Seems he would be better at pass blocking since he could keep guys off his body but would have more trouble in short yardage. I think with all the swing players and limited rosters, and really tall interior Defensive Tackles, the 'undersized' Center may be more rare going forward especially since it’s harder to justify a line spot to a guy that can only play one position due to his size unless he is the best of his position.

Well put

ccdude730
03-14-2008, 07:47 PM
http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=113059

this is a link to a thread talking about myers. seems a few of the posters really like him and his versatility on the line. they also talk about how he did really well when nalen went on IR.

FYI, myers dad is a poster on the boards over there and this is what he had to say:

Just so you all know..........I am very interested to see what Denver may wish to do, to keep Chris in Denver. If they don't match the offer on the sheet it would truely be a sad thing for us and for Chris. We had hoped Chris would play his career out in Denver. He has just added on to his home and brought his girlfriend out to live here.

Having said that.........whatever happens.....Chris will make the right choice for him and hopefully Denver will also make the right choice for the team.

Wish I could say more but will refrain until everything has been decided on. GO BRONCOS

i would have liked to see him get an offer from the texans

hookinreds
03-14-2008, 09:43 PM
I don't really spend much time worrying about the "business" side of the Texans, so I'm looking for some input on this. Since they didn't tender an offersheet to Myers, does that typically mean that the team has written him off. If teams have a real desire to sign a player, do they not let them leave before giving them an offer, or do they sometimes let them leave and see if other teams tender an offer and then try and top it?

CloakNNNdagger
03-15-2008, 10:55 PM
I don't really spend much time worrying about the "business" side of the Texans, so I'm looking for some input on this. Since they didn't tender an offer sheet to Myers, does that typically mean that the team has written him off. If teams have a real desire to sign a player, do they not let them leave before giving them an offer, or do they sometimes let them leave and see if other teams tender an offer and then try and top it?

That would be a risky game of "chicken" unless you had an informal understanding with the player to notify your team that "an offer is on the table." Once one team (other than his "home" team) signs him to an offer, only that team or the "home" team has a chance to obtain/retain his rights.

With that said, it's been quiet on the Myers front. He's returned to Denver without activity. He still has a month to visit other teams. I'm sure he's hoping for closer to starter money and more than his one year tender. In Denver, he was moved last year from guard to center when starting veteran center Tom Nalen went on IR. Nalen has one more season on his contract and has hinted that he may want to retire thereafter. Myers would be Denver's logical replacement. I wouldn't rule out Myers altogether since for whatever reason Denver tendered him so low even though they have "groomed" him for the last 3 years.

b0ng
03-15-2008, 11:16 PM
I don't really spend much time worrying about the "business" side of the Texans, so I'm looking for some input on this. Since they didn't tender an offersheet to Myers, does that typically mean that the team has written him off. If teams have a real desire to sign a player, do they not let them leave before giving them an offer, or do they sometimes let them leave and see if other teams tender an offer and then try and top it?

I would say that if he left without an offer from the Texans then it's pretty much a garuntee that he won't come back to us.

Sounds intriguing, but as somebody else asked, if Myers was in the draft, he'd probably go about 5th or 6th unless you're counting his NFL experience. Then it'd have to be in the 2nd or 3rd because he's a sure thing, he's already played in the NFL.

ArlingtonTexan
03-16-2008, 12:15 AM
The Texans seem to want to add a center, but really are committed at doing it at their price. This is what the 3rd or 4th guy we have looked at this off-season with no takers yet.

santo
03-17-2008, 03:42 PM
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/Sports/Detail?contentId=6054290&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

NFL sources told FOX 26 Sports on Monday that the Houston Texans will acquire restricted free agent center Chris Myers from the Denver Broncos.

Looks like the Texans signed him.

RipTraxx
03-17-2008, 03:45 PM
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/Sports/Detail?contentId=6054290&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

GREAT ADDITION in light of Gibbs controlling the ground game.

HOU-TEX
03-17-2008, 03:46 PM

I assume there's a typo in here.

League sources told FOX that Denver will sign Myers to a four-year contract worth $11 million. The deal will give Myers $3 million in guaranteed money. The Texans will give Denver a sixth-round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft.

edit: Nevermind, it was a sign and trade deal.

RipTraxx
03-17-2008, 03:47 PM
I assume there's a typo in here.

God i hope so. LOL

Nawzer
03-17-2008, 03:50 PM
Good signing for us. What are the chances a six round pick will even make our roster? By signing Myers we get a starting center, something which we needed to do desperately. Another good move by GM Rick Smith.

utahmark
03-17-2008, 03:50 PM
just reported in the chronicle. im at work so i cant paste it. sounds like a pretty reasonable contract.

RipTraxx
03-17-2008, 03:53 PM
just reported in the chronicle. im at work so i cant paste it. sounds like a pretty reasonable contract.

4 years 3million garaunteed. Pretty good.

beerlover
03-17-2008, 03:58 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5626217.html

huge for Texans :thisbig:

FSUTexan5
03-17-2008, 04:03 PM
This is great news and further solidifies a great offseason for the Texans. Much better then Hadnot imo.

gary
03-17-2008, 04:08 PM
Nice for the O line.

TheRealJoker
03-17-2008, 04:10 PM
Considering most 6th round picks dont even make the team I think this is a very good signing for the Texans. This gives them a guy that started 16 games at center playing for a team that runs the scheme the Texans run. With Alex Gibbs coaching him up I think he'll be a solid center for years to come (he's only 25 and has played 3 years in the league).

I'm very happy with the way Rick Smith and co. plays the game in the offseason. He's not overpaying guys, he resigned our best UFAs and tendered our best RFAs, and he's signing guys that are low risk/high reward signings. If they dont pan out we dont really lose a lot, but if they do then that's very good for us. Its how winning teams like the Pats and Steelers have been able to compete year in and year out and its why I wish we had never had Charlie A**erley as the GM who set us back a couple years talent wise and put us in cap trouble before leaving the Texans...THEN he takes credit for picking Mario lol!!!

PS: Rick Smith owns you Charlie!!!

AnthonyE
03-17-2008, 04:10 PM
Wow, I actually did expect for this to happen. :O

Great deal, imo.

WesmanTexanfan
03-17-2008, 04:12 PM
Good Move....

threetoedpete
03-17-2008, 04:13 PM
They banged the hole... McKinney Insurance ? I doubt he comes back gang...just a hunch. I'm not in the room and I dunno.

ccdude730
03-17-2008, 04:14 PM
Before making the trade, the Broncos signed Myers to a four-year, $11 million contract, including $3 million guaranteed. Myers, a third-year restricted free agent, who started 16 games last season, could have been signed to an offer sheet by the Texans.

The Texans opted not go with an offer sheet because it was easier and quicker to offer the pick and execute the sign-and-trade deal.

i love this signing

:fans:

TheRealJoker
Best FA pickup of the offseason for us imo, other than resigning Demps and Davis of course. Center is probably the weakest spot of our OL and this guy is 25 years old and started 16 games last season in a system similar to our's. If he can help keep the Haynesworth and Henderson types in check on Sundays then i'd say we got ourselves a steal fellas!!!

Who else is ecstatic that not only are we getting young guys that can be contributors for us but WE ARE NOT OVERPAYING?!?!?!

WesmanTexanfan
They b@nged the hole... McKinney Insur@nce ? I doubt he comes b@ck g@ng...just hunch. I'm not in the room @nd I dunno.

wtf?

J-Russ
03-17-2008, 04:17 PM
4 years 3million garaunteed. Pretty good.

I thought this guy wanted starter money? Rick must've done a hell of a job negotiating, either that or, that is what starting center get paid now and days...

Anyways, I don't know much about this guy. I do know he was groomed 3 years to replace Nalen in Denver, so if he's any good he should instantly become our new starting C.

Edit: *Plam to the face* it was 3 million in gurantee.... lol I misread it and thought it was 3 mil over 4 years. LOL. Still a good price though, I guess.

J-Russ
03-17-2008, 04:18 PM
They b@nged the hole... McKinney Insur@nce ? I doubt he comes b@ck g@ng...just hunch. I'm not in the room @nd I dunno.

.......... lol?

Second Honeymoon
03-17-2008, 04:18 PM
great signing. finally addressing the Center position and once again, with YOUTH. i love that we arent signing 8 and 9 year veterans to big deals and we are getting guys with promise for team-friendly deals. just another guy that has familiarity with some of the blocking schemes employed by Kubes and Gibbs in their past.

thanks RS. you seem to truly have a grasp on our team needs and are working tirelessly to improve every aspect of our team. After this signing and the Reeves signing, a few of our post-season needs have begun to be addressed. Now we can pretty much go BPA at #18 unless there was an LT that they are in love with that would last that long (which there isn't imho). Now that Center and to some extent Safety and RB (Demps re-signing/Chris Brown signing) have been addressed, our list of urgent needs got smaller. In order of need, CB, LT, DE/OLB Edge Rusher, ballhawking FS who can play in space. Most bankable solutions at LT will be long gone by #18 so we can assume there will not be an LT taken at #18 outside of Sam Baker, who isn't bankable as LT.

I think now you can start thinking about Keith Rivers out of USC at #18. If we don't draft him, the Titans will. I would rather have him on our team. He might really make an impact in this league with his quickness and knack for the ball. If they go after Baker or maybe reach on a Collins out of Kansas, you can't really fault them for trying to address LT in a long-term way. Personally, I just think we need to get a guy that we know can play a position of need, and Rivers, Groves, Phillips (even with Demps signing), Talib, Cason, or Rodgers-Cromartie are all picks I would be fine with. No LTs worth #18 will probably be around. BPA should win over in the end.

Porky
03-17-2008, 04:21 PM

Do your posts come with a dictionary? I have no earthly idea what you are talking about.

Good move imo. I don't rememebr seeing him play, so the jury is still out, but I trust this braintrust much more than I do the prior one, and if Gibbs thinks he can play, that's good enough for me.

Good job Rick Smith! :splits:

HOU-TEX
03-17-2008, 04:21 PM
I thought this guy wanted starter money? Rick must've done a hell of a job negotiating, either that or, that is what starting center get paid now and days...

Anyways, I don't know much about this guy. I do know he was groomed 3 years to replace Nalen in Denver, so if he's any good he should instantly become our new starting C.

Edit: *Plam to the face* it was 3 million in gurantee.... lol I misread it and thought it was 3 mil over 4 years. LOL.

I'm sure it also helps that it was the Broncos we're dealing with. :cool:

WesmanTexanfan
03-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Do your posts come with a dictionary? I have no earthly idea what you are talking about.

Good move imo. I don't rememebr seeing him play, so the jury is still out, but I trust this braintrust much more than I do the prior one, and if Gibbs thinks he can play, that's good enough for me.

Good job Rick Smith! :splits:

yap...

MeLoveTexans
03-17-2008, 04:25 PM

is ur "A" button missing/broken

J-Russ
03-17-2008, 04:25 PM
The bronco's fans thought on the trade...

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=113225

RipTraxx
03-17-2008, 04:27 PM
Ummm, guys....

Over at the Broncos forum they said we traded him for a 4th... please tell me they're crazy and are wrong....

Everything else has said sixth so im guessing its a typo.

MeLoveTexans
03-17-2008, 04:27 PM
Ummm, guys....

Over at the Broncos forum they said we traded him for a 4th... please tell me they're crazy and are wrong....

They are crazy and wrong... feel better:doot:

GuerillaBlack
03-17-2008, 04:28 PM
Nice pick up. Not a bad trade. Who have the Texans picked in the 6th round overall?

Errant Hothy
03-17-2008, 04:30 PM
Ummm, guys....

They may not be. I'm almost positive that he was tendered for a 6th, but that 6th would be sent if the Bronocos failed to match the offer sheet we signed him to. Teams are usually given a week to match, I'm pretty sure the Bronocos could wither choose to not mach right away or the teams could have worked out a deal to finish the signing today.

It's a good move if it stays as a 6th rounder, a not so good if it is a 4th rounder (unless Rick has a deal in place to pick up some more draft picks).

RipTraxx
03-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Nice pick up. Not a bad trade. Who have the Texans picked in the 6th round overall?

CC Brown was im pretty sure. Seemed to be a worthwhile pick. Im still with everyone with the Myers pickup. Good Deal

TheRealJoker
03-17-2008, 04:33 PM

I love it when opposing teams fans think they got the worse end of a trade :)

drewmar74
03-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Here's a little more information. Looks like it was a straight up trade rather than a RFA - tender offer - yada yada arrangement.

TEXANS TRADE FOR MYERS
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 17, 2008, 3:59 p.m.
Adam Schefter of NFL Network is reporting that the Denver Broncos have traded restricted free-agent offensive lineman Chris Myers to the Houston Texans for a sixth-round pick.

Because the Broncos had tendered Myers at the sixth-round level, the trade works out essentially the same way as it would have if Myers had signed an offer sheet with the Texans and the Broncos had declined to match the offer. John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports that the Texans wanted to get the deal done easily and quickly, which is why they worked it out as a trade, rather than a free-agent signing.

Myers, who has played his entire three-year career for the Broncos (including 2005, when Texans coach Gary Kubiak was the offensive coordinator), is versatile enough to play either guard or center. The Texans are expected to play him at center.

Myers signed a four-year, $11 million contract that includes $3 million guaranteed.

http://beta.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

HoustonFrog
03-17-2008, 04:36 PM
We will see how this works out with all of the guys but Smith, as I said the other day, is doing a great job of filling holes, finding "fits," not breaking the bank and making smart moves that slowly and surely upgrade the roster and add depth.

Brando
03-17-2008, 04:36 PM

Drew Henson, one of the better moves made by Casserly. He turned that into a 3rd round pick who I think with a move more like Casselry he wasted on P-Burnt.:I think:

Good picking up Myers btw......

ccdude730
03-17-2008, 04:37 PM
They may not be. I'm almost positive that he was tendered for a 6th, but that 6th would be sent if the Bronocos failed to match the offer sheet we signed him to. Teams are usually given a week to match, I'm pretty sure the Bronocos could wither choose to not mach right away or the teams could have worked out a deal to finish the signing today.

It's a good move if it stays as a 6th rounder, a not so good if it is a 4th rounder (unless Rick has a deal in place to pick up some more draft picks).

The Texans opted not go with an offer sheet because it was easier and quicker to offer the pick and execute the sign-and-trade deal.
from the chron article

AnthonyE
03-17-2008, 04:41 PM

Here's one quote that stuck out.
if he was worth anything thing more,he'd be starting

I guess he didn't notice he started for 16 games last year. :/

And Chris Myers' dad actually posts at that forum. :O You think he'll join us or the official forums? :O
Chris didn't have much choice when he was low tendered but to accept the offer from Houston. Trust me he DID NOT wish to leave Denver but it didn't make sense to stay as a back up with a low tender contract. I felt he proved himself last year and should of been offered a contract for 3 or 4 years. He would of accepted less then 11 million if he could of stayed. He loves Denver and always will.

Personally, I will truely miss coming to Denver for games we loved coming there and being part of it all.

That's his dad's post. :O His user is "62OLINESDAD" or something like that. :P That is one proud dad. :)
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee261/illy045/Myers-62OlinesDad.jpg

ccdude730
03-17-2008, 04:43 PM
i wonder if his dad has already visited the boards...

:spy:

HOU-TEX
03-17-2008, 04:49 PM
i wonder if his dad has already visited the boards...

:spy:

Heck, as long as he's not like the father of our former QB, I'd be more than happy to have him post around here.

If someone's a member of that board, post a message welcoming him to visit here.

:texflag:

Texan in Japan
03-17-2008, 04:56 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5626217.html

Texan in Japan
03-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Here's rest of the story. Looks like we took easy route and Denver served him on a platter. Father has a soft spot for his boys in Houston. Getting a guy with three years experience in the system will only help Gibbs get his system installed faster.

Mods you may want to add this thread to other Myers...I saw it too late.

The Texans traded a sixth round draft choice to Denver today for center Chris Myers.

Before making the trade, the Broncos signed Myers to a four-year, $11 million contract, including $3 million guaranteed. Myers, a third-year restricted free agent, who started 16 games last season, could have been signed to an offer sheet by the Texans.

The Texans had been looking for another center since they released Mike Flanagan at the start of free agency.

Steve McKinney is coming off reconstructive knee surgery. Like McKinney, Chris White finished the season on injured reserve.

The Texans flirted with free agent Rex Hadnot, but didn't offer him a contract because he didn't fit the system that new assistant coach Alex Gibbs is installing.

Gibbs is putting in the same running game that Denver plays. Myers is an ideal fit because he has three years in that system. Myers came to Houston last week for his initial visit and spent two days with the Texans

Ole Miss Texan
03-17-2008, 05:08 PM
Sounds like a guy I'd want on this team. If what that guy says is true and he'd take less than what Denver offered to stay there because he loves the town/team...that says a lot about a man's character in my opinion.

Hopefully we can welcome him with open arms and make him love Houston just as much.

AnthonyE
03-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Heck, as long as he's not like the father of our former QB, I'd be more than happy to have him post around here.

If someone's a member of that board, post a message welcoming him to visit here.

Sent him a "Welcome to Houston" message and directed him here. :)

HOU-TEX
03-17-2008, 05:21 PM
Sent him a "Welcome to Houston" message and directed him here. :)

Cool, thanks.:)

badboy
03-17-2008, 05:26 PM
Chris Myers starting for Texans first game "I use to think Denver was where I wanted to be but the city of Houston and the fans have made me feel great. I am excited to play here."

Chris Myers 15 years from now. "I am happy to be inducted into the hall of fame and scarcely remember ever playing for Denver. I am and always will be a Texan."

I know, but I like it.

AnthonyE
03-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Chris Myers starting for Texans first game "I use to think Denver was where I wanted to be but the city of Houston and the fans have made me feel great. I am excited to play here."

Chris Myers 15 years from now. "I am happy to be inducted into the hall of fame and scarcely remember ever playing for Denver. I am and always will be a Texan."

I know, but I like it.

:O Best post ever!

Brando
03-17-2008, 05:30 PM
This is great news and further solidifies a great offseason for the Texans. Much better then Hadnot imo.

Welcome to the board FSU!

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-17-2008, 05:34 PM
So where does he play? C or RG?

Hardcore Texan
03-17-2008, 06:09 PM
I like this signing a lot. It makes a lot of sense and he will hit the ground running in the ZBS.

Overalls
03-17-2008, 06:11 PM
This signing I like. A fresh center. That also allows us to move McKinney back to guard. Unless of course they leave Steve at center and move Myers to guard.

nunusguy
03-17-2008, 06:22 PM
I like getting extra picks, but I really don’t understand giving up a young, versatile o-lineman who has 3 years in the organization. Unless there was some trouble behind the scenes, I can’t understand this move at all…..
There’s just so much about this I don’t understand. First of all, why we would let this happen is beyond me. This is a lot of faith to show in an aging, recently injury-prone interior line. Anyone want to lay odds on a 36 year old center coming off a season-ending injury making it through a whole season without missing any time? Secondly why did we bother making this a trade? It sounds like it would have gone down exactly the same way if the Texans had just signed him to an offer sheet. It just seems weird. I absolutely hate this move, hate it with a fiery passion. It’s not like we entered this offseason without a ton of personnel needs, and it seems like all we’ve done is create more holes while signing underacheivers and practice-squad caliber bums to “fill” the old holes. We better have the BEST draft ever if we want to be competitive in the next few seasons. Look here comes Keary Colbert and Marlon McCree to save the day… Yeesh. BOOOOO, front office, BOOOOO!

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/mason/2008/03/17/myers-sent-to-houston-for-sixth-rounder/
These 2 different comments on the transaction are from the Broncos website
and they express a general tone about the trade (from the Broncos perspective), which is one of puzzlement and disapproval.
Sounds like a real good deal for us, especially if it only cost us a 6th rounder.
I dunno if I'd have a problem with it even if it were a 4th rounder: only 27 yet
versatile as he started all year for the Broncos at both guard & center. And
in the ZB system to boot. I think I like it !

aj.
03-17-2008, 06:28 PM
This is one of the few cases where I don't mind giving up a draft pick. It's a low pick, it's for a young player who will be a starter, and the contract is very affordable.

michaelm
03-17-2008, 06:30 PM
I like getting extra picks, but I really don’t understand giving up a young, versatile o-lineman who has 3 years in the organization. Unless there was some trouble behind the scenes, I can’t understand this move at all…..
There’s just so much about this I don’t understand. First of all, why we would let this happen is beyond me. This is a lot of faith to show in an aging, recently injury-prone interior line. Anyone want to lay odds on a 36 year old center coming off a season-ending injury making it through a whole season without missing any time? Secondly why did we bother making this a trade? It sounds like it would have gone down exactly the same way if the Texans had just signed him to an offer sheet. It just seems weird. I absolutely hate this move, hate it with a fiery passion. It’s not like we entered this offseason without a ton of personnel needs, and it seems like all we’ve done is create more holes while signing underacheivers and practice-squad caliber bums to “fill” the old holes. We better have the BEST draft ever if we want to be competitive in the next few seasons. Look here comes Keary Colbert and Marlon McCree to save the day… Yeesh. BOOOOO, front office, BOOOOO!

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/mason/2008/03/17/myers-sent-to-houston-for-sixth-rounder/
These 2 different comments on the transaction are from the Broncos website
and they express a general tone about the trade (from the Broncos perspective), which is one of puzzlement and disapproval.
Sounds like a real good deal for us, especially if it only cost us a 6th rounder.
I dunno if I'd have a problem with it even if it were a 4th rounder: only 27 yet
versatile as he started all year for the Broncos at both guard & center. And
in the ZB system to boot. I think I like it !

It may be just me, but I think you should move the emboldened statement to the beginning of your post. I was confused for a while, thinking that those two sentences where from you, not the Broncos MB...
On the other hand, it has been a loooooooonnnnnnnngggg work day, and I am usually easy to confuse...

ChampionTexan
03-17-2008, 06:40 PM
As Long as it's not this guy:

http://www.thetennischannel.com/programs/talent/ChrisMyers_125x150.jpg

I Love it!

maddogmrb
03-17-2008, 07:45 PM
He's young and still should have upside. Hope we made out like bandits on this one! It does seem curious that a team would give up a young lineman that started 16 games for them last year for only a 6th pick. Especially when most of their line is aging. I know I wouldn't do it.

ATXtexanfan
03-17-2008, 08:08 PM
holy crap, this is the best move of the offseason, i'm developing a man crush on mr. smith, anyone else

edo783
03-17-2008, 08:17 PM
This is a very solid pickup IMO. Kudos to Rick and the boys.

TEXANRED
03-17-2008, 08:33 PM
This signing I like. A fresh center. That also allows us to move McKinney back to guard. Unless of course they leave Steve at center and move Myers to guard.

I think this is going to move McKinney back to the streets. He is an older player that has been hurt two years in a row. Not to mention that he was going to be a bench player if not for Flanagan being really really bad.

I would be surprised to see either McKinney or Green make it out of training camp and be apart of the opening day 52 man roster.

RipTraxx
03-17-2008, 08:38 PM
I think this is going to move McKinney back to the streets. He is an older player that has been hurt two years in a row. Not to mention that he was going to be a bench player if not for Flanagan being really really bad.

I would be surprised to see either McKinney or Green make it out of training camp and be apart of the opening day 52 man roster.

Flanagan must have been the most non-athletic center i've ever seen.

aj.
03-17-2008, 08:38 PM
Myers, Thompson and Bentley are signings like Anthony Maddox last year. These are low risk, low cost but potentially high value transactions.

RipTraxx
03-17-2008, 08:46 PM
Myers, Thompson and Bentley are signings like Anthony Maddox last year. These are low risk, low cost but potentially high value transactions.

Was it me or did Maddox seem to out play Travis ?

Texaninlild
03-17-2008, 09:01 PM
This a great move for the Texans. I have no idea why the Broncos wouldn't match the deal unless they are in cap hell and have enough depth to cover the center spot.

I am not so down on Steve. He has been a decent O-Lineman for years for us.

I thought Demps and Davis were the main free agents on the roster we needed to lock up and we did. They have gone out and got faster, younger and more athletic at outside linebacker. Even though most of you hate it, Brown isn't a bad move at RB.

Trust in Smith and Kubes

ChampionTexan
03-17-2008, 09:59 PM

Off-topic comment to the Mods - and whoever else is responsible.

Thanks for controlling the sigs and other personalizations on this board. If you want to see what a totally out of control board looks like, visit this MB (Warning - it aint pretty).

Makes me really appreciate what we've got here.

TK_Gamer
03-17-2008, 10:13 PM
I think this is a great signing, although I'm still not sure how we ended up with 2 of Denvers prototypical ZBS centers. We now have Myers and Eslinger, both picked for their system, both young and very coachable. I think Rick Smith is one of the best signings in Texan's History. I believe we are now in the list of top offseason teams in the conference. We didnt go big marquee moves, but I think we got very good value at every move. We can now securely go BPA at 18 regardless of position. I think with the depth of secondary players in the draft we could easily fill our needs there on day 2 if a good pick is there at 18. JMO

kiwitexansfan
03-17-2008, 10:35 PM
One technical question with this being a trade rather than a free agent signing, how does the signing bonus etc get effected? Does this get traded too or are the Broncos paying this still??

On the signing itself, I think that it is a great pick up.

DocBar
03-17-2008, 10:35 PM
I am pretty pleased with this deal. Getting a 6th rounder w/ 3 yrs experience in your system is like a Mastercard Commercial. Priceless.
I see a lot of people saying they aren't down about McKinney. I remember a ton of posts on here crucifying the guy before we got Flanagan and saw just how bad it could really be. I think McKinney could be a value to us as depth, but I'm way too busy at work to look up his cap hit if he makes the team.

BSofA04
03-17-2008, 10:41 PM
So with the signing of Myers, we now know 3 out of 5 starting linemen for years to come. Going left to right, LT is still an unknown....LG is Mr.Reliable Chester Pitts....C Chris Myers....RG is an unknown....RT is "The Caveman" Eric Winston. Which makes my predictions of OG Brandon Albert in Round 1 and LT Tony Hills in Round 3 all the more worth it.

TK_Gamer
03-17-2008, 10:46 PM
I am pretty pleased with this deal. Getting a 6th rounder w/ 3 yrs experience in your system is like a Mastercard Commercial. Priceless.
I see a lot of people saying they aren't down about McKinney. I remember a ton of posts on here crucifying the guy before we got Flanagan and saw just how bad it could really be. I think McKinney could be a value to us as depth, but I'm way too busy at work to look up his cap hit if he makes the team.

I agree about McKinney, I think I would like to see Eslinger or Myers win the starting job, but McKinney is still valuable as a interior backup, especially in the running game. Last year there was no comparison between Flanagan and McKinney.

ChampionTexan
03-17-2008, 10:55 PM
One technical question with this being a trade rather than a free agent signing, how does the signing bonus etc get effected? Does this get traded too or are the Broncos paying this still??

The deal was done as a sign and trade as a courtesy to Myers and the Texans. If it had been done by letting Denver refuse to match the offer, a certain amount of time would have to go by before it was final (not sure exactly how much).

As far as the bonus, Denver was performing a courtesy, but it didn't extend to bonus dollars either in cash or cap space. Nice thought though.

Hervoyel
03-17-2008, 10:59 PM
I think that you've got McKinney coming off of an injury and you don't know how he's going to hold up next year. Also you have to wonder if he's going to get the "real" Gibbs system down right away. I'm not saying he won't necessarily but if he has trouble with it then you know he can slide over to RG or LG and let the player whose spent three years in it make the line calls. The rest of the OL will sort itself out from there.

This signing isn't a home run necessarily because Myers is going to be some kind of future Pro Bowl center or anything (not saying he couldn't develop into something great either). It's a home run for us because it gives us a head start on learning this system at a position where it's going to make a huge difference from day one having an experienced player there. You have to wonder if Pitts is going to fit into this well and if Winston will pick it up quickly. Will Spencer come back and be able to do it? Can Salaam excel in this kind of system? The guys are going to have to gel (I know how much some of you hate that word) and this will really, really help that process.

If Eslinger can play then he could end up playing Center and Myers could slide back to guard. Lots of flexibility in this move.

GP
03-17-2008, 11:19 PM
His dad posted on the Broncos board today, and had this to say:

Chris didn't have much choice when he was low tendered but to accept the offer from Houston. Trust me he DID NOT wish to leave Denver but it didn't make sense to stay as a back up with a low tender contract. I felt he proved himself last year and should of been offered a contract for 3 or 4 years. He would of accepted less then 11 million if he could of stayed. He loves Denver and always will.

Personally, I will truely miss coming to Denver for games we loved coming there and being part of it all.

Another poster had this to say about Myers and Coach Alex Gibbs:

Good news for him though is that he will now be coached by the best O-Line coach in the NFL. That running game is going to explode in the next couple of years and Myers is going to be apart of a competitive team.

I laughed out loud when another poster on the Broncos said this (bolded part is what I thought was funny):

Mile High Salute to you and your son, Mr. Myers...

I know he didn't have a choice in the matter, and I doubt many here would hold it against him for going.

I'm glad he's going to our sister team though.

Grid
03-17-2008, 11:29 PM
I think that you've got McKinney coming off of an injury and you don't know how he's going to hold up next year. Also you have to wonder if he's going to get the "real" Gibbs system down right away. I'm not saying he won't necessarily but if he has trouble with it then you know he can slide over to RG or LG and let the player whose spent three years in it make the line calls. The rest of the OL will sort itself out from there.

This signing isn't a home run necessarily because Myers is going to be some kind of future Pro Bowl center or anything (not saying he couldn't develop into something great either). It's a home run for us because it gives us a head start on learning this system at a position where it's going to make a huge difference from day one having an experienced player there. You have to wonder if Pitts is going to fit into this well and if Winston will pick it up quickly. Will Spencer come back and be able to do it? Can Salaam excel in this kind of system? The guys are going to have to gel (I know how much some of you hate that word) and this will really, really help that process.

If Eslinger can play then he could end up playing Center and Myers could slide back to guard. Lots of flexibility in this move.

The other obvious benefit that we get from this move is a young experienced center. Everyone else on our roster was either on their last leg or woefully under-experienced to be considered our starter. Now we wont have to target a center in the first few rounds of the draft.. and we get a player coming in who not only has playing time under his belt, but also a good understanding of the system we run.

This move is just a homerun for the Texans.

Welcome to Houston Chris! I hear you would have preferred to stay in Denver but I promise you are going to like it here. You'll see.

hookinreds
03-18-2008, 12:13 AM

I agree, I like the deal for two reasons, upgrade in talent, but I think our line just got smarter. With Myers, the learning curve just got a lot shorter. Sure, he will be ahead of the game in his position, but he should be able to help the guys to his right and left pick it up faster as well.

kiwitexansfan
03-18-2008, 12:13 AM
The deal was done as a sign and trade as a courtesy to Myers and the Texans. If it had been done by letting Denver refuse to match the offer, a certain amount of time would have to go by before it was final (not sure exactly how much).

As far as the bonus, Denver was performing a courtesy, but it didn't extend to bonus dollars either in cash or cap space. Nice thought though.

My question with that is how does a team trade a guy they don't have on their roster or did the trade his restricted rights to us which was followed by us signing the guy ourselves?

My other question is as a trade has this been signed off by the league yet?

TexansFanatic
03-18-2008, 12:32 AM
Found this very impressive writeup of Myers from his Miami days. Can't figure out why the Broncos let him get away. Another terrific move by Mr. Smith.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2005draft/Myers,Chris-OG%2BOC-Miami.htm

DocBar
03-18-2008, 12:47 AM
Found this very impressive writeup of Myers from his Miami days. Can't figure out why the Broncos let him get away. Another terrific move by Mr. Smith.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2005draft/Myers,Chris-OG%2BOC-Miami.htm

Good find. It looks like most of his weaknesses can be coached up, but that there also might be a grain of truth to C&D's "like a stump" comment.

bckey
03-18-2008, 01:08 AM
This is a fantastic trade for us! His dad posted last week on thursday I think that the center spot will be cleared up by tomorrow. Stay tuned. I didn't realise it was Chris Myers dad at the time on the official board.

Welcome to Houston Chris and many years of good football. Your gonna love Houston and its fans. They are the best in the country hands down. Heck. You're gonna love Texas!

Scooter
03-18-2008, 01:33 AM
why dont kubiak and smith have 10 year extensions in the works?

it's not possible to get a starting 4th year center in a 4 year contract for butt cheap who has experience in your system and fills one of your 3 or 4 biggest holes ... FOR A 6TH ROUNDER! seriously, welcome dad & young myers to the family. you've landed on a team that knows how to make your potential into reality with arguably the two top o-line coaches in football (gibbs-kubiak) and a roster that without losing anyone, have added more than 20 players to an 8-8 team because of last year's aweful injury luck, along with key FA's and we're not even to the draft yet.

be glad you got traded from houston north.

i could write for days right now, this type of signing is what teams are built on ... kubiak and/or smith WILL be receiving national awards at the end of the 09 season.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-18-2008, 01:43 AM
This feels like the Rockets trading for Luis Scola all over again. :fans:

JayCee
03-18-2008, 01:45 AM
It's nice to read the Broncos boards.

Nice to get a steal.

ccdude730
03-18-2008, 02:03 AM
This is a fantastic trade for us! His dad posted last week on thursday I think that the center spot will be cleared up by tomorrow. Stay tuned. I didn't realise it was Chris Myers dad at the time on the official board.

Welcome to Houston Chris and many years of good football. Your gonna love Houston and its fans. They are the best in the country hands down. Heck. You're gonna love Texas!

for a second i was wondering what you were talking about, then i remembered that this is not the official board...

wherever he frequents, i hope the texans online community make him feel welcome

AnthonyE
03-18-2008, 02:35 AM
for a second i was wondering what you were talking about, then i remembered that this is not the official board...

wherever he frequents, i hope the texans online community make him feel welcome

I welcomed him to Houston and invited him to TexansTalk like an hour after the signing. He told me he'll stop by later. :)

Scooter
03-18-2008, 02:43 AM
i'd honestly like to hear more about him. mine included, almost all of the posts have regarded the signing itsself. i didnt watch denver (or anyone outside of houston) as fanatical as most seasons last year but myers stood out as a complete player. i for one would like to hear as much about him as possible. strengths, weaknesses ... give me his free agent combine. tear him down, who did we sign?

ccdude730
03-18-2008, 02:57 AM
I welcomed him to Houston and invited him to TexansTalk like an hour after the signing. He told me he'll stop by later. :)

thats good to hear. thanks for contacting him

bckey
03-18-2008, 03:08 AM

I did the same. Also houstonprofootball.com. I'm sure they are overwhelmed with the welcome they are receiving from Texan fans.

Grid
03-18-2008, 03:25 AM
Whoops :D..I contacted him and told him about Texans Talk too...hehe.

Malloy
03-18-2008, 06:05 AM
Hope we made out like bandits on this one!

holy crap, this is the best move of the offseason, i'm developing a man crush on mr. smith, anyone else

You can make out like bandits together ;)

Specnatz
03-18-2008, 06:48 AM

The way I would think it to happen is for the trade to take place and then the contract signed so as Denver does not pay any of the signing bonus. Because if he had signed the deal before hand they would have to eat all of the bonus this year. Why would you do that even out of respect? What I mean is you can not kil your cap space.

Does not matter we got him and that is all that matters.

aj.
03-18-2008, 07:31 AM
My question with that is how does a team trade a guy they don't have on their roster or did the trade his restricted rights to us which was followed by us signing the guy ourselves?

Denver owned the rights to Myers since they had already tendered him. So they had two options on how to proceed with this deal: a) go through the RFA offer sheet/first right of refusal process; or b) sign him to a contract with terms and conditions negotiated by the Texans (or any other team) then trade that contract to the Texans (or any other team) in exchange for a sixth round draft pick.

Apparently Denver chose the latter when they found out what the Texans were offering - deciding up front that they wouldn't be matching the offer. Denver essentially waived their first refusal rights at that point and drew up the new contract. The Texans traded for the contract after it was signed. The signing bonus will be payable by the Texans on or about May 15.

This is just like Schaub's deal where the contract was drawn up by the Falcons before he was traded to the Texans (because the Falcons still owned his rights).

sakebomb
03-18-2008, 07:46 AM
Serious Question - What's up with his old man posting info on message boards? Is he the fan liaison for his son or something?

aj.
03-18-2008, 08:10 AM
Maybe he's his son's biggest fan and is excited for him?

I think it's kind of cool that family members hang out on the boards - as long as they understand the nature of message boards and to ignore the knuckleheads that they will encounter at times. Although the criticism should never be as bad for a center as it would be for say ...a QB ....

You never know who's lurking.

-----------------------------------

Bear with me, this is long but I had to share since this reminded me of it (what follows is an edited version of an email I sent to someone last fall):

I got this email from "walter foreman" at 1:48 in the morning last September 7 and it's something about 'The White Reggie Bush.' So I watch the attached video and it's some 12 year old kid wearing #5 tearing up Pop Warner.

But then I thought to myself ...walter foreman.... hmm.. I got several emails from this guy back in March '05 when I wrote an article about Jamie Sharper and Jay Foreman being released. (I wrote more about Sharper because it was the bigger surprise of the two)

I remember Walter Foreman because he came at me with guns blazing for something I said in the article about Jay.

As an aside, here is what I said (verbatim) in my March 2005 article about Jay:

"Foreman's release is not a big surprise to most fans. The low key LB spent most of the last three years flying under the radar and even though he was steady and dependable, he was not a huge playmaker -- which is a must for a linebacker in Dom Capers 3-4 defense."

'Walter' didn't like those remarks and told me I needed to go back to school to learn what the hell I was talking about and that Jay was a productive player within the construct of a 3-4. I never argued 'production.' In fact I reiterated to him that he was steady, dependable, but not a huge playmaker.

He signed his name "Chuck." He wasn't very nice. In fact, he was pretty much an a-hole.

We traded a few emails - I kept it cordial - and his parting shot was to send me a link to a football 101 website for women. (I'm not kidding. I still have all of his emails)

I never thought it was the real Chuck Foreman (Univ. of Miami/Vikings #44) even though he used an email address that made it pretty obvious. I thought it was just some guy jerking my chain. I knew Jay's dad was Chuck Foreman and I wondered 'could it really be him?'

But then I forgot about it and didn't hear from 'walter' again until early that morning last September.

Which finally leads me to my point.

For reasons I'll get into in a minute, I checked in my football encyclopedia and Chuck Foreman's real name is Walter Eugene Foreman.

Okay, so it was him and he was pissed that I made a negative comment (one) about his son. Truth hurts I guess. (For the record Jay played in 3 NFL games for the Giants and 49ers after he was cut by the Texans - and he's now out of football). So I guess other teams didn't think that much of him either. Take that, Walter.

But for further confirmation that those original emails were from the 'real' Chuck Foreman, you needed only to take one look at some of the other email addresses (besides mine) in 'Walter's' distribution list that he shared the White Reggie Bush video with at 1:48 in the morning.

The first notable address I saw on the list is Hall of Fame defensive end #81 Carl Eller. Carl was a teammate of Chuck's back in the day.

Then I saw the name "ed." If you right click on 'ed' and check properties, I found the email address for former Cornell/Vikings RB and movie star Ed Marinaro (#49) who was Foreman's backfield mate at Minnesota back in the 70's

Then I saw Joe Greene (yeah I guess it's that Joe Greene). Joe tackled Chuck quite a few times in the first Steelers Super Bowl win. I guess they're still friends.

Then when I checked properties on "Larry" I found the email address for Miami Dolphins Hall of Fame O-Lineman Larry Little who Chuck played against in a Super Bowl at Rice Stadium as a rookie in '73.

Then I saw the email address for Marv Fleming, long time Packers and Dolphins tight end who played in that same Super Bowl. (note the Miami connection -- Chuck went to college there) --- edit: as did Winston and Myers).

Then, the most bizarre one of the bunch. Rubin Carter? Rubin (Hurricane) Carter?

I checked and he's still alive. If you're under 45 years old you will probably have to Google Rubin Carter to learn about the controversy he generated back in the day.

Anyway, I'm now convinced that Walter is really Chuck and I'm honored to be part of his personal email distribution list with an illustrious list of Hall of Famers and an ex boxer who had Bob Dylan write a song about him.

I'm sure he's not aware that aj the Texans fan is still on his fun email list. His email tool probably auto captures addresses that he uses, and in this case it may have put me in his "football" group without his knowledge. He probably still wants to kick my ass.

Do you think I should email him back and ask him how Jay's doing? ..... nah.

Malloy
03-18-2008, 08:35 AM
Good story, thanks AJ.

I agree, do not write him, keep lurking :)

nunusguy
03-18-2008, 08:43 AM
This a great move for the Texans. I have no idea why the Broncos wouldn't match the deal unless they are in cap hell and have enough depth to cover the center spot.

Even though Tom Nalen is 35 years old, the Broncos still view him as their
starting center this year after coming off of an injury from last year when
Myers filled-in for him, and reportedly filled-in reasonably well.
But the Texans obviously see him as their 2008 starting center and are willing to pay him accordingly while he's only a backup to the Broncos. Now longer-term, given Nalens age and Myers youth, the move by them is curious ? But lets be completely honest with ourselves here, maybe the Broncos think Myers is a marginal talent who has little or not upside left in the tank ?

Texan_Bill
03-18-2008, 08:53 AM
Looks like Meyers' dad joined the message board. I saw the newest member listed as 62olinesdad.

If so, welcome aboard...

gtexan02
03-18-2008, 09:44 AM
Crazy story aj.

Just for reference, there was a fantastic movie about Rubin Carter that starred Denzel Washington. I highly, highly recommend it if you aren't familiar with his story

Hook'er
03-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Awesome signing Rick!:texflag:

Errant Hothy
03-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Once again Rick Smith does it again.

Welcome to Houston Chris.

<shakes head> Starting C for a 6th. Why did we have to be cursed with CC when this team was founded?

Dallas_Texan
03-18-2008, 10:52 AM
Even though Tom Nalen is 35 years old, the Broncos still view him as their
starting center this year after coming off of an injury from last year when
Myers filled-in for him, and reportedly filled-in reasonably well.
But the Texans obviously see him as their 2008 starting center and are willing to pay him accordingly while he's only a backup to the Broncos. Now longer-term, given Nalens age and Myers youth, the move by them is curious ? But lets be completely honest with ourselves here, maybe the Broncos think Myers is a marginal talent who has little or not upside left in the tank ?

I saw on their board that there is someone else that they were high on that was injured this year, and they think he's coming back and will win the starting C job. Sounds Charles Spencer-esque. Maybe they think with this guy stepping up and Nalen as a backup they can afford to gamble Myers for another pick. That gives them a ton of late round picks that they can package together to move up.

TexanAddict
03-18-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm glad we were able to get a young, experienced center, that has a chance to start for us (at a position I believed to be a weakness) for only a 6th round pick.

I wish I had the Texans v Broncos game from last season recorded, so I could see how Myers played against our D-Line.

Edit: Here are the highlights from that game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dImtYvSUKc). Myers seems to hold his own and have pretty good awareness in what is shown (I know it's not enough to really form an opinion from, but it's all I've got).

TheRealJoker
03-18-2008, 11:09 AM
I wish I had the Texans v Broncos game from last season recorded, so I could see how Myers played against our D-Line.

If I can remember correctly, Mario/ND Kulu got all of the sacks in that game which would put the responsibility on the tackles, although the DTs did get pressure on Cutler several times which contributed to some of the sacks. I would also be interested in seeing how Myers played in that game, who he was matched up with, and how he fared against them. Particularly if he was matched up against our Amobiwan.

El Tejano
03-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Drew Henson, one of the better moves made by Casserly. He turned that into a 3rd round pick who I think with a move more like Casselry he wasted on P-Burnt.:I think:

Good picking up Myers btw......
Actually Drew Henson became a 3rd round pick, which we used to draft Vernand Morency, who was then traded straight up to Green Bay for Samkon Gado, who is becoming a doctor.

Rex King
03-18-2008, 06:23 PM
I saw on their board that there is someone else that they were high on that was injured this year, and they think he's coming back and will win the starting C job. Sounds Charles Spencer-esque. Maybe they think with this guy stepping up and Nalen as a backup they can afford to gamble Myers for another pick. That gives them a ton of late round picks that they can package together to move up.

Or could Shanahan Sr. be sabotaging his own team to help out his son?:hmmm:

J/K.

Not a lot of comments about his actual play in that Broncos thread. A few "good player," a lot of "promising/potential," a "will be great," and a bunch of "quality/solid backup."

aj.
03-18-2008, 06:46 PM

They are probably talking about Ben Hamilton. He had some serious issues/complications last year because of a concussion and was one of a few Broncos OLs to end up on the IR - giving Myers a chance to play. I want to say Hamilton and Eslinger were teammates in college - although Hamilton might be a bit older.

CloakNNNdagger
03-18-2008, 06:48 PM
Or could Shanahan Sr. be sabotaging his own team to help out his son?:hmmm:

J/K.

Not a lot of comments about his actual play in that Broncos thread. A few "good player," a lot of "promising/potential," a "will be great," and a bunch of "quality/solid backup."

These comments in today's Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8604258)may shed light on the situation:

Although the deal appears lopsided in the Texans' favor, Bronco fans were essentially informed through Myers' departure that center Tom Nalen and left guard Ben Hamilton will be back healthy and starting for the 2008 season.

"I don't know if that's what it means, but I'm perfectly fine," Nalen said. "I've been full strength the past two months. I've been working out with Ben and he's perfectly fine."

Myers first started in place of Hamilton, who missed the entire 2007 season with a concussion, and then Nalen, who suffered torn biceps in Week 5. Now that Nalen and Hamilton are back, Myers would have gone back to the bench. And in this salary-cap era, teams cannot afford to allocate $11 million on a reserve.

"I don't want to say it's a surprise because I know the situation the Broncos are in," Myers said. "It was definitely a bittersweet situation. I live in Denver, I didn't want to leave Denver. I love it there. I love the organization and the city as a whole. But you have to look at what they have right now. Tom is coming back. Ben's coming back. They can't pay a multiyear deal to a backup because that's pretty much what I would have gone back to."

The Texans not only gave Myers financial security, but also their starting center position.

Rex King
03-18-2008, 07:21 PM
I'm just wondering how well he played as a starter last season. Apparently he showed a lot of promise and potential, but if so, then why gamble on Nalen coming back to full strength and not dump him instead? Nalen's all-pro, but he probably doesn't have a lot left, particularly after having to sit out all last year. IMO, the Broncos aren't going to contend this year, so why not look to the future?

TexansLucky13
03-18-2008, 08:27 PM
I'm just wondering how well he played as a starter last season. Apparently he showed a lot of promise and potential, but if so, then why gamble on Nalen coming back to full strength and not dump him instead? Nalen's all-pro, but he probably doesn't have a lot left, particularly after having to sit out all last year. IMO, the Broncos aren't going to contend this year, so why not look to the future?

I suppose that the Broncos FO values that 6th round pick as much as Rick Smith and Kubes do. The only difference is, he was a backup over there... he may be a starter over here.

55Olinesdad
03-18-2008, 10:12 PM
Hello everyone,

I want to thank everyone for their posts with well wishes and positive comments. I just found out Chris's Jersey number will be 55 for Houston so I changed my name to reflect his number. I look forward to hopefully being on this board for many years with Chris playing for Houston. We are looking forward to come to Houston for many games and hopefully meet many of you. Thanks again

infantrycak
03-18-2008, 10:14 PM
Hello everyone,

I want to thank everyone for their posts with well wishes and positive comments. I just found out Chris's Jersey number will be 55 for Houston so I changed my name to reflect his number. I look forward to hopefully being on this board for many years with Chris playing for Houston. We are looking forward to come to Houston for many games and hopefully meet many of you. Thanks again

Good to see you made it to this MB as well as the official one. houstonprofootball.com is the third MB around town. I think most of us agree around here that we really hope Chris comes in and solidifies the C position for years.

Brandon420tx
03-18-2008, 10:21 PM
Hello everyone,

As long as you don't go to all the practices and take multiple interviews with the media you will be fine here! :fans:

55Olinesdad
03-18-2008, 10:23 PM
As long as you don't go to all the practices and take multiple interviews with the media you will be fine here! :fans:

LOL I live in Miami so your pretty safe there.

DBCooper
03-18-2008, 10:29 PM
Hello everyone,

Welcome!

We hope Chris does a great job. I would love to see this O-line start getting some respect around the league.

texasguy346
03-18-2008, 10:36 PM
Welcome to the board. I really hope Chris does well in Houston. We'll need a smart & strong O-Line if we ever want to have a chance at winning the AFC South.

drewmar74
03-18-2008, 10:36 PM
Hello everyone,

Welcome aboard and we're excited that you (and especially your son) are here.

God bless.

ccdude730
03-18-2008, 10:48 PM
welcome to the board! we hope chris will come to love texas and the texan organization. with his dedication to the game, he and his teammates will achieve great things under kubiak and gibbs

TEXANRED
03-18-2008, 10:52 PM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to Houston.

You will find that as much complaining that we do you won't find a better group of fans. We have a tight loyal group that is very passionate about this team. That being said, you also won't find a fan base that is quicker to turn on a player and flame him out of the city. Especially in two particular areas, OLine, and QB. Both areas being a sore subject over the past 6 years. You truly are only as good as your last play in Houston so your kid is going to have to grow some thick skin quick. There are only two players that get passes, Ryans, and A.J.

However

If your boy would like to put his name on the exception list with this fan base tell him that if he blows up Hayneworthlessness, drives him into the ground, and hits'em in the mouth when it counts, we will build him a freakin statue outside of Reliant.

AnthonyE
03-18-2008, 10:57 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm glad you joined, and hope you like it here on TexansTalk. :) Welcome!

b0ng
03-18-2008, 11:23 PM
However

If your boy would like to put his name on the exception list with this fan base tell him that if he blows up Hayneworthlessness, drives him into the ground, and hits'em in the mouth when it counts, we will build him a freakin statue outside of Reliant.

Any extra kicks to Haynesworthless's body parts will illicit one free beer from me to Mr. Meyers for each blow.

I will throw a huge keg party if Haynesworthless is somehow injured in a fashion similar to how he injured Matt Schaub.

Hervoyel
03-18-2008, 11:49 PM
I suppose that the Broncos FO values that 6th round pick as much as Rick Smith and Kubes do. The only difference is, he was a backup over there... he may be a starter over here.

Exactly. It appears to me that we benefited more from a logjam of starting talent on their o-line more than anything else.

I think we got a little lucky on this one.

The Pencil Neck
03-18-2008, 11:55 PM
Hello everyone,

All right! I "adopted" Danny Clark last year and got a #55 Jersey with "Pencil Neck" as the name. With Danny leaving, I was hoping #55 would go to a good player.

I'll be "adopting" your son this season.

False Start
03-19-2008, 12:16 AM
Its good to see this team finally putting some effort to improve the O-Line . I hope this guy can turn out to be a steal .

beerlover
03-19-2008, 12:16 AM
I think we got a little lucky on this one.

I don't think luck has as much to do with it as our need to aquire a starting Center that fits Gibbs scheme & whom Gary & Rick are both familar with plus having such close relationships :)

Specnatz
03-19-2008, 01:23 AM

LOL I live in Miami so your pretty safe there.

Just an FYI, Brandon was referring to sorta an inside joke around here. when I say sorta, some media people will understand it but your average and even fanatic fans might not get it. He is referring to Mr Mittens and his father and how they acted here in Houston. A huge touchy subject that I hate bringing up because I know some doofus will try and derail this thread. But I thought it was worth the explination.

Center was a position that most of us thought was a huge liability this past year, so we may be critical, if not overly so on the position. This info is not ment to scare you away or even to deter you from giving your imput, but more over to give you the full amount of information that is needed.

Anyways, welcome to the board and I hope you enjoy it here.

Malloy
03-19-2008, 05:29 AM
Actually Drew Henson became a 3rd round pick, which we used to draft Vernand Morency, who was then traded straight up to Green Bay for Samkon Gado, who is becoming a doctor.

Cool, so there's something in it for humanity. Not a complete loss :)

Malloy
03-19-2008, 05:32 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome!

Errant Hothy
03-19-2008, 09:34 AM
Hello everyone,

Welcome.

I really can't think of anything clever to day at the moment so it's just going to be welcome.

55Olinesdad
03-19-2008, 09:46 AM
Welcome to Houston.

You will find that as much complaining that we do you won't find a better group of fans. We have a tight loyal group that is very passionate about this team. That being said, you also won't find a fan base that is quicker to turn on a player and flame him out of the city. Especially in two particular areas, OLine, and QB. Both areas being a sore subject over the past 6 years. You truly are only as good as your last play in Houston so your kid is going to have to grow some thick skin quick. There are only two players that get passes, Ryans, and A.J.

However

Well Texanred,

I been on the Denver board for three years now and its no different there. One or two bad plays and the boards jump right on them. I have learned to take the good with the bad on posts. Everyone comes on here to speak their minds on the players and how well or how bad they played that week. I will give you a little insight on Chris..........After each game when he gets in his car he usually calls us in Miami. If we say good game to him and he had a bad play.......WE SURE FIND OUT FAST HE IS NOT A HAPPY CAMPER. Even if they blow out an opponet he is SUPER CRITICAL of his plays or any mental error he had during the game. He learns from them and works as hard as he can to not let them happen again. Keeping in mind every player sometimes has horrible plays in any given game he does not accept that as an excuse.

He gives 100% every play. Last year he played the last 4 games with a very nasty high ankle sprain and he didnt use it as an excuse to have any bad plays. That to me shows his heart for his team and his team mates. He was the same when he played for the U of Miami for 5 years. No matter what he will take responsiblity of his bad plays and works to improve every day.

55Olinesdad
03-19-2008, 09:57 AM
Just an FYI, Brandon was referring to sorta an inside joke around here. when I say sorta, some media people will understand it but your average and even fanatic fans might not get it. He is referring to Mr Mittens and his father and how they acted here in Houston. A huge touchy subject that I hate bringing up because I know some doofus will try and derail this thread. But I thought it was worth the explination.

Center was a position that most of us thought was a huge liability this past year, so we may be critical, if not overly so on the position. This info is not ment to scare you away or even to deter you from giving your imput, but more over to give you the full amount of information that is needed.

Anyways, welcome to the board and I hope you enjoy it here.

Thanks Specnatz,

I think everyone will find out I try to only post positive things on the team, even when sometimes they have bad games or bad plays. I tend to be a positive thinking person and I always try to see the good points and not over think the bad ones. Hopefully I can give a little insight on the O line without my son wanting to kick my butt.

Kaiser Toro
03-19-2008, 09:57 AM
Well Texanred,

I been on the Denver board for three years now and its no different there. One or two bad plays and the boards jump right on them. I have learned to take the good with the bad on posts. Everyone comes on here to speak their minds on the players and how well or how bad they played that week. I will give you a little insight on Chris..........After each game when he gets in his car he usually calls us in Miami. If we say good game to him and he had a bad play.......WE SURE FIND OUT FAST HE IS NOT A HAPPY CAMPER. Even if they blow out an opponet he is SUPER CRITICAL of his plays or any mental error he had during the game. He learns from them and works as hard as he can to not let them happen again. Keeping in mind every player sometimes has horrible plays in any given game he does not accept that as an excuse.

He gives 100% every play. Last year he played the last 4 games with a very nasty high ankle sprain and he didnt use it as an excuse to have any bad plays. That to me shows his heart for his team and his team mates. He was the same when he played for the U of Miami for 5 years. No matter what he will take responsiblity of his bad plays and works to improve every day.

Welcome to the board. I do have a question on his relationship with Winston - on the field and off. I may have missed it, or reporters may have missed it in their line of questioning but there has been no mention of reuniting with Winston on the line.

Can you level set that miss?

55Olinesdad
03-19-2008, 10:04 AM
Welcome to the board. I do have a question on his relationship with Winston - on the field and off. I may have missed it, or reporters may have missed it in their line of questioning but there has been no mention of reuniting with Winston on the line.

Can you level set that miss?

Chris is excited about playing with Eric again. They are very close friends and they often meet up back in Miami when offseason. Eric even came to my daughters wedding last year he has been a close friend of all of us since he started at the U of Miami. We are very happy that Eric is there already and can give Chris information on Houston so his move from Denver is hopefully not too overwhelming for him.

Kaiser Toro
03-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Chris is excited about playing with Eric again. They are very close friends and they often meet up back in Miami when offseason. Eric even came to my daughters wedding last year he has been a close friend of all of us since he started at the U of Miami. We are very happy that Eric is there already and can give Chris information on Houston so his move from Denver is hopefully not too overwhelming for him.

Thanks for sharing, good to hear. :texflag:

False Start
03-19-2008, 10:16 AM

Welcome . Great to have you here .

Thats great to hear . Team chemistry , especially on the O-Line can go a long way into making a squad special . Now Caveman has a buddy to help wreck shop on some of those Tacks , and Colts D-Lines . :fans:

WesmanTexanfan
03-19-2008, 10:32 AM
He is on/going to be on 610 this morning sometime before 10, could be on now but Im in class....

HOU-TEX
03-19-2008, 10:38 AM
I watched the Denver game again last night focusing on Myers as well as out Oline. IMO, y'all are going to like him. It was odd seeing the Center actually getting to the second level and making his block. Something we haven't been accustom to with Flabbygan and McKinney. He was able to get to the LB's with ease, taking Greenwood out of the play on multiple occasions. On one play the run was to Greenwood's side and Myers still pushed him out of the play, wtf. D-Ryans would already be running the RB down, so never saw him get caught up.

Most of the game he was mainly chipping then hitting the second level. I did get to see a few 1 on 1's and only counted 3 occasions where he was beat. 2 run plays and 1 pass. The 1st run play it looked as if Zgonina caught him off balance and made the tackle for a couple yard loss. The second run was by Zgonina too, but more times than not Myers beat him. On the pass play TJ just beat him and forced Cutler to get rid of the ball, which IIRC was completed.

Overall, I'd say their guards and center won the battle against our DT's. Okoye did pretty good at times, but TJ didn't fair too well. Cochran even played some DT towards the end of the game. I suppose it was for passing situations. Mario had his way with whoever was across from him. A split second longer and he'd have a few more sacks.

I gave up watching Flabbygan after the first half. I'd expect him to retire because he was a step or two behind the entire time. He has to hold in order to win a block.

Fellow MBer's, compared to what we've had in the past, this guy's a steal. I expect McKinney will restructure his contract for a backup because he IS NOT going to beat this guy out.

Oh Yeah....it's a pleasure to have you here Mr. Myers and hopefully you can keep us updated on the team throughout.

nunusguy
03-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Let me join the long list of other fans to say "Welcome" !
I've lived and worked in Denver 2 different times over the years and its one of
my favorite cities, so I can understand the affection and loyalty you and your son developed for the city and its fans/people. And it is a great sports city still owned by the Broncos I would imagine ? Its now been about 10 years since I lived there.
But we've got a good group here in Houston and this Board in particular has some very intense, knowledgilbe fans. You've come to the right place.
That's pretty neat to hear that Winston is so close to your son and also being an OLineman makes their bond even stronger I'd think. With Butler
also being from Miami we are liable to end up with a starting OLine with
no less than 3 guys from the U.

Lucky
03-19-2008, 10:57 AM
I expect McKinney will restructure his contract for a backup because he IS NOT going to beat this guy out.

McKinney restructured last offseason, and is due to make "only" $1.35 mil in '08 salary. That's not a lot in this era, and McKinney's versatility makes him worth to keep around. If he's healthy.

I've never been a big McKinney fan, so this wasn't easy for me to type.

badboy
03-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Mr. Myers, welcome to you and your son. Houston fans are pretty rabid as we seem to have an under dog role with the national press in all sports. If your son decides to move into the Clear Lake area (near the space center) I'll give him a ride on 1 BAD BOY 26 foot tunnel boat (cat). We want to keep our players happy. He does have to enjoy speed. Guess I could give him a ride even if he does not become a neighbor. Steve

55Olinesdad
03-19-2008, 11:05 AM
I watched the Denver game again last night focusing on Myers as well as out Oline. IMO, y'all are going to like him. It was odd seeing the Center actually getting to the second level and making his block. Something we haven't been accustom to with Flabbygan and McKinney. He was able to get to the LB's with ease, taking Greenwood out of the play on multiple occasions. On one play the run was to Greenwood's side and Myers still pushed him out of the play, wtf. D-Ryans would already be running the RB down, so never saw him get caught up.

Most of the game he was mainly chipping then hitting the second level. I did get to see a few 1 on 1's and only counted 3 occasions where he was beat. 2 run plays and 1 pass. The 1st run play it looked as if Zgonina caught him off balance and made the tackle for a couple yard loss. The second run was by Zgonina too, but more times than not Myers beat him. On the pass play TJ just beat him and forced Cutler to get rid of the ball, which IIRC was completed.

Overall, I'd say their guards and center won the battle against our DT's. Okoye did pretty good at times, but TJ didn't fair too well. Cochran even played some DT towards the end of the game. I suppose it was for passing situations. Mario had his way with whoever was across from him. A split second longer and he'd have a few more sacks.

I gave up watching Flabbygan after the first half. I'd expect him to retire because he was a step or two behind the entire time. He has to hold in order to win a block.

Fellow MBer's, compared to what we've had in the past, this guy's a steal. I expect McKinney will restructure his contract for a backup because he IS NOT going to beat this guy out.

Oh Yeah....it's a pleasure to have you here Mr. Myers and hopefully you can keep us updated on the team throughout.

Thanks HOU-TEX,

Chris has only played 11 games at center in the NFL so each game he will learn more. Your comments are pretty much dead on from what I recall of the game. I have watched it a few times. Just like any other linemen, Chris will get beat at times and thats not unusual in this league. Its the consistency and intensity of his play that matters in my view. He can only get better and better with Gibbs coaching him. I AM VERY VERY EXCITED about that. You have no idea.

55Olinesdad
03-19-2008, 11:07 AM
Mr. Myers, welcome to you and your son. Houston fans are pretty rabid as we seem to have an under dog role with the national press in all sports. If your son decides to move into the Clear Lake area (near the space center) I'll give him a ride on 1 BAD BOY 26 foot tunnel boat (cat). We want to keep our players happy. He does have to enjoy speed. Guess I could give him a ride even if he does not become a neighbor. Steve

LOL thanks badboy,

I will let him know. He has no clue what area he will reside yet. He has only been there for the visit and when he comes back out for workouts at the end of the month he will get with Eric and I am sure look around for a place.

eriadoc
03-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Thanks HOU-TEX,

Chris has only played 11 games at center in the NFL so each game he will learn more. Your comments are pretty much dead on from what I recall of the game. I have watched it a few times. Just like any other linemen, Chris will get beat at times and thats not unusual in this league. Its the consistency and intensity of his play that matters in my view. He can only get better and better with Gibbs coaching him. I AM VERY VERY EXCITED about that. You have no idea.

So are we. So are we.

HOU-TEX
03-19-2008, 11:15 AM
Thanks HOU-TEX,

No problem. The off-season is tough, so recorded games come in handy. The signing of Chris just gave me a reason to watch that game again.:cool:

Chris' foot speed was the thing that impressed me most. Not only to the second level, but along the line as well. He was able to swing off a double team back to the middle to pick Mario up off a stunt twice that I noticed.

I agree with you about Gibbs. I can't wait to see him in action during camp.

55Olinesdad
03-19-2008, 11:43 AM
No problem. The off-season is tough, so recorded games come in handy. The signing of Chris just gave me a reason to watch that game again.:cool:

Chris' foot speed was the thing that impressed me most. Not only to the second level, but along the line as well. He was able to swing off a double team back to the middle to pick Mario up off a stunt twice that I noticed.

I agree with you about Gibbs. I can't wait to see him in action during camp.

What many people may not know about Chris's speed........

At the U of Miami he was the main downfield blocker for Willis MacGahee and also Frank Gore. Willis gave Chris a large credit just before the National Championship game against Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl. The following is cut and pasted from that article....

Crediting Myers: Somebody asked McGahee what memories he'll take away from this season. The seven school records he eclipsed? His six-touchdown performance against Virginia Tech? His 68-yard catch and carry on the screen play that set up the Hurricanes' winning score against Florida State? Nah.
"Chris Myers," McGahee said, grinning.
Why the Hurricanes' right guard? "He's the only one that keeps blocking for me 20 yards down the field," McGahee said

I tell you what as a dad........you can't ask for anything better then to read that the morning of a National Championship game. I am very blessed.

badboy
03-19-2008, 11:56 AM

At the U of Miami he was the main downfield blocker for Willis MacGahee and also Frank Gore. Willis gave Chris a large credit just before the National Championship game against Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl. The following is cut and pasted from that article....

Crediting Myers: Somebody asked McGahee what memories he'll take away from this season. The seven school records he eclipsed? His six-touchdown performance against Virginia Tech? His 68-yard catch and carry on the screen play that set up the Hurricanes' winning score against Florida State? Nah.
Why the Hurricanes' right guard? "He's the only one that keeps blocking for me 20 yards down the field," McGahee said

I tell you what as a dad........you can't ask for anything better then to read that the morning of a National Championship game. I am very blessed.Many athletes' parents have an athletic back ground. Do you? Also on the move to Texas, many players choose the Woodlands or Sugar Land outskirts of Houston. Clear Lake area has many "bedroom" communities encircling Clear Lake that empties into Galveston Bay. Beautiful homes in his price range (ahem) excellent schools, malls/shopping and is locate 1/2 between Houston and Galveston. If he likes the water as I do, he will love the area. Oh BTW I am not a realtor or with the Chamber of Commerce just a long time resident of water front living.

55Olinesdad
03-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Many athletes' parents have an athletic back ground. Do you? Also on the move to Texas, many players choose the Woodlands or Sugar Land outskirts of Houston. Clear Lake area has many "bedroom" communities encircling Clear Lake that empties into Galveston Bay. Beautiful homes in his price range (ahem) excellent schools, malls/shopping and is locate 1/2 between Houston and Galveston. If he likes the water as I do, he will love the area. Oh BTW I am not a realtor or with the Chamber of Commerce just a long time resident of water front living.

I started playing international rugby back in 1974 and have played as recently as last year. Its not to often the "old boys" get a game put together but we still bang out a few games when we can.

I will let Chris know about those areas I appreciate the feedback. For a month or two I think he doesn't plan to jump on a home purchase till he gets to know the area a little better. He has Eric there and also some other friends who can show him around for a while.

Xetuoh1836
03-19-2008, 12:34 PM
A hardy Texans "Howdy" to you sir! I look foward to seeing Chris contributions to the Texans! Chris will have to readjust to steamy weather like he experienced in Florida! I, for one, look foward to your "behind-the-scenes" look at what the team is up to (without the butt kicking, of course).

Do you have a link to the MaGahee article so that I might foward it to other Texan fans? That's a hell'ave compliment to your son! I can see why your so proud of your boy!

Cjeremy635
03-19-2008, 12:40 PM
I started playing international rugby back in 1974 and have played as recently as last year. Its not to often the "old boys" get a game put together but we still bang out a few games when we can.

I will let Chris know about those areas I appreciate the feedback. For a month or two I think he doesn't plan to jump on a home purchase till he gets to know the area a little better. He has Eric there and also some other friends who can show him around for a while.

I don't know much about your son, but I will take my well educated fellow message boarder's opinions and I think he'll be a great addition to our team and city. I thank you for posting here and hopefully you'll be able to give us some inside scoops from time to time, starting in training camp. Thanks again for posting and welcome aboard.

aj.
03-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Just make sure you warn Chris that the water in Galveston Bay is more like caffe mocha than it is blue windex.

HOU-TEX
03-19-2008, 12:49 PM
Just make sure you warn Chris that the water in Galveston Bay is more like caffe mocha than it is blue windex.

....and to have a bottle of urine handy because you're guarranteed to get stung by jellyfish. :thisbig:

beerlover
03-19-2008, 12:49 PM
#55 is going to be a very popular "sold jersey" :heart:

aj.
03-19-2008, 12:53 PM
Having another C.M. in Houston wearing #55 can only be good karma. I think the time has arrived for the "Texan Cannonball."

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/tenhou/MauckOil.jpg

badboy
03-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Just make sure you warn Chris that the water in Galveston Bay is more like caffe mocha than it is blue windex.Cafe mocha? If I did not know better I would think you worked for Chamber of Commerce.

hookinreds
03-19-2008, 01:48 PM

I tell you what as a dad........you can't ask for anything better then to read that the morning of a National Championship game. I am very blessed.

Heck, that made my chest pump out, can only imagine how many shirt sizes you grew into after reading that. I'll add my welcome to this board as well as the others. I think this team is turning into something special, and it will be nice to have some insight from the trenches. It will be interesting having Chris and Eric back on the same line, and seeing if we have a running back that can catch up to Chris' downfield blocks!

55Olinesdad
03-19-2008, 01:52 PM
A hardy Texans "Howdy" to you sir! I look foward to seeing Chris contributions to the Texans! Chris will have to readjust to steamy weather like he experienced in Florida! I, for one, look foward to your "behind-the-scenes" look at what the team is up to (without the butt kicking, of course).

Do you have a link to the MaGahee article so that I might foward it to other Texan fans? That's a hell'ave compliment to your son! I can see why your so proud of your boy!

I have the article in word format. Not sure why I saved it that way I think I was afraid the site would delete the article so I saved it in a file. If you PM me and give me your e mail I can mail it to you later.

Texan_Bill
03-19-2008, 01:59 PM
Looks like Meyers' dad joined the message board. I saw the newest member listed as 62olinesdad.

If so, welcome aboard...

Hello everyone,

Okay, that explains it...

hookinreds
03-19-2008, 02:00 PM
As our starting C, if he's going to be #55, please tell him to go with black cleats! Seemed to work around these parts pretty well. Oh...and how's his signing? Carl Mauck had a very popular single, that could use a cover rendition.

Hardcore Texan
03-19-2008, 02:13 PM

That is good to hear. That should make the transition smoother. I bumped into Kasey Studdard's uncle a month or two ago, I will probably see him again since he frequents the same wing bar I do. It will make for an intersting conversation to talk about Chris. I hope he gels well with the rest of the O-Line. His experience with the ZBS makes this a great match for him and the Texans, he can hit the ground running.

And another "Welcome to the Board". We are a very passionate fan base and this MB is the best IMO. Lot of smart and insightful posters here. For me, this is the best way to keep with our team especially since the Austin area has basically zero coverage of us. There are alot of here that drive the 3 hours one way to Houston on those fall Sundays though. :texflag:

Hervoyel
03-19-2008, 02:29 PM
I don't think luck has as much to do with it as our need to aquire a starting Center that fits Gibbs scheme & whom Gary & Rick are both familar with plus having such close relationships :)

Really? Well what if Denver hadn't been stacked at that position? What if they had decided that they were going to hang on to the younger player and let the old timer go? We'd be looking at bringing in Gary Kubiak's own version of Mike Flanagan in that case. What if they had decided to tender him higher?

No, I think the circumstances lined up pretty nicely for us to be able to get this guy at a this time for this price.

beerlover
03-19-2008, 02:35 PM
No, I think the circumstances lined up pretty nicely for us to be able to get this guy at a this time for this price.

"the circumstances lined up pretty nicely" yes they did, but there is a reason for everything :)

badboy
03-19-2008, 02:41 PM
55olinesdad, a question you may be able to answer for me. When negotiating with a new team, how much did Chris or his agent evaluate the Texans? I know a starter's spot and the money/contract length were priority but was he interested in things beyond Gibbs and guys he knew like Winston? Did Chris concern himself with the team adding a Rb or left tackle in draft? I am sure his agent was up to date on free agent signings but as most players are win oriented, I was interested in if he evaluated what Texans might do for other positions?

Goldensilence
03-19-2008, 03:14 PM
I'll add my welcome as well here.

What has impressed me the most with this thread is i haven't seen the what seemed to be an cliche with some of the posters around here. How they used to complain about signing players formerly associated with the coaching staff.

Specnatz
03-19-2008, 03:40 PM
I'll add my welcome as well here.

What has impressed me the most with this thread is i haven't seen the what seemed to be an cliche with some of the posters around here. How they used to complain about signing players formerly associated with the coaching staff.

I think mainly because it is not one of those aging guys and it is a relatively young player in terms of what has been done in the past.

55Olinesdad
03-19-2008, 09:13 PM
55olinesdad, a question you may be able to answer for me. When negotiating with a new team, how much did Chris or his agent evaluate the Texans? I know a starter's spot and the money/contract length were priority but was he interested in things beyond Gibbs and guys he knew like Winston? Did Chris concern himself with the team adding a Rb or left tackle in draft? I am sure his agent was up to date on free agent signings but as most players are win oriented, I was interested in if he evaluated what Texans might do for other positions?

To be honest the first thing he said to me ( yes of course after 11 million ) was that he loved the idea of playing for Kubes and Gibbs which pretty much sold him on Houston pretty quick. He has the ultimate regard for what he did for Chris in Denver and Kubes was most likely the guy that drafted Chris. I have talked with Kubes a few times after games in Denver and I can agree with one thing. Kubes is a class act and will do something very special here in Houston. He is putting the puzzle together.......and a lot of pieces are already in place now. Just got to find those few that have tough pegs to match up. Houston will be a force to reckon with.

By the way...........THANKS EVERYONE for the welcomes and good wishes.

03-19-2008, 09:48 PM
[QUOTE=badboy;869749]55olinesdad, a question you may be able to answer for me. When negotiating with a new team, how much did Chris or his agent evaluate the Texans? I know a starter's spot and the money/contract length were priority but was he interested in things beyond Gibbs and guys he knew like Winston? Did Chris concern himself with the team adding a Rb or left tackle in draft? I am sure his agent was up to date on free agent signings but as most players are win oriented, I was interested in if he evaluated what Texans might do for other positions?[/QUOTE

To be honest the first thing he said to me ( yes of course after 11 million ) was that he loved the idea of playing for Kubes and Gibbs which pretty much sold him on Houston pretty quick. He has the ultimate regard for what he did for Chris in Denver and Kubes was most likely the guy that drafted Chris. I have talked with Kubes a few times after games in Denver and I can agree with one thing. Kubes is a class act and will do something very special here in Houston. He is putting the puzzle together.......and a lot of pieces are already in place now. Just got to find those few that have tough pegs to match up. Houston will be a force to reckon with.

By the way...........THANKS EVERYONE for the welcomes and good wishes.

we're glad to have your kid aboard; we needed him pretty badly. i appreciate your kindness.

michaelm
03-19-2008, 10:17 PM
Hello everyone,

Welcome to both you and your son, sir.
I'm sure there is a sentimental attachment to the name 62Olinesdad, but 55Olinesdad is much, much cooler!!!

Welcome!

55Olinesdad
03-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Welcome to both you and your son, sir.
I'm sure there is a sentimental attachment to the name 62Olinesdad, but 55Olinesdad is much, much cooler!!!

Welcome!

LOL its very odd looking at this new name. Its going to take a bit of time for me to get used to it. Regardless.........62 is long gone and time to make a new mark.

Bubbajwp
03-19-2008, 10:28 PM
LOL its very odd looking at this new name. Its going to take a bit of time for me to get used to it. Regardless.........62 is long gone and time to make a new mark.

I was just wondering, Did Shanahan want your son to come to the Texans if he left Denver.

Oh and welcome aboard.:texflag: :fans:

55Olinesdad
03-20-2008, 06:23 AM
I was just wondering, Did Shanahan want your son to come to the Texans if he left Denver.

Oh and welcome aboard.:texflag: :fans:

I think Shanny saw a good oppurtunity for Chris to do well with a contract and start right away with Houston. In my view Shanny was stuck between a rock and a hard place with existing starters comming back from injuries and also the cap. In many ways I feel he did wish for Chris to come to Houston and learn from Gibbs and Kubes. You cannot ask for a better situation then that for Chris.

Scooter
03-20-2008, 07:06 AM
I think Shanny saw a good oppurtunity for Chris to do well with a contract and start right away with Houston. In my view Shanny was stuck between a rock and a hard place with existing starters comming back from injuries and also the cap. In many ways I feel he did wish for Chris to come to Houston and learn from Gibbs and Kubes. You cannot ask for a better situation then that for Chris.

i said it in a previous post but will again, welcome to the team. we're glad to have both of yall here in houston.

with lil shanahan, kubiak, and gibbs in place ... how does chris feel he'll fair in the short term? i'm as critical as they come on linemen (so take no offense in future posts) but the signing of myers automatically struck a chord with me as a positive and immediate impact ... chris is exactly what i wanted for this team. i understand you're biased but it's nice to get an insider's perspective, especially with gibbs being the biggest hardass in football and kubiak being a relative mastermind. my biggest worry with our young guys, especially chris since i'm so high on him is that in the way we're headed it's going to be commonplace to be always doing something wrong despite heading in the right direction. being hard-headed, gritty, nasty, and determined are requirements to survive training camp, let alone becoming the starter we're hoping for. how is chris looking forward to working with the gibbs/kubiak connection not in the "potential" cliche with the team and in a player, but as the aspect of being broken down and made into raw talent as we've brought gibbs in for.

55Olinesdad
03-20-2008, 08:36 AM
i said it in a previous post but will again, welcome to the team. we're glad to have both of yall here in houston.

with lil shanahan, kubiak, and gibbs in place ... how does chris feel he'll fair in the short term? i'm as critical as they come on linemen (so take no offense in future posts) but the signing of myers automatically struck a chord with me as a positive and immediate impact ... chris is exactly what i wanted for this team. i understand you're biased but it's nice to get an insider's perspective, especially with gibbs being the biggest hardass in football and kubiak being a relative mastermind. my biggest worry with our young guys, especially chris since i'm so high on him is that in the way we're headed it's going to be commonplace to be always doing something wrong despite heading in the right direction. being hard-headed, gritty, nasty, and determined are requirements to survive training camp, let alone becoming the starter we're hoping for. how is chris looking forward to working with the gibbs/kubiak connection not in the "potential" cliche with the team and in a player, but as the aspect of being broken down and made into raw talent as we've brought gibbs in for.

Thanks for the welcome Scooter,

I do know that the days prior to the signing with Houston all Chris was concerned about was getting it done and getting to Houston to start workouts at the end of the month. He has been in Miami this week for Easter with us and goes back to Denver on Sunday to pack some things up and get to Houston. He plans to get there extra early and start working out before the scheduled start on the 31st.

Every coach that Chris has had since high school has personally told me that Chris is one of the most coachable players they have ever had. He is a sponge waiting to soak up any coaching given to him. He is very structured and technical. If you get a chance to go to the camp this summer you will be able to see how hard he will work to contribute to the Texans. Already in his heart he is a Texan. He hasnt been there except for the one visit and he is already chomping at the bit to get to work. Chris will fit in with the other linemen no matter where he would of played. Gibbs and Kubes are going to make this O line something special and Chris knows it. He is pumped.

badboy
03-20-2008, 01:30 PM
LOL its very odd looking at this new name. Its going to take a bit of time for me to get used to it. Regardless.........62 is long gone and time to make a new mark.Sir, it will not take you long to get use to the new name because we are going to bombard you. Plus, we are going to hear "Chris Myers holds off the Dman allowing Texans Qb to throw for another completion" and did you see the block #55 made on that dude?" On a side note, nothing has been mentioned as to Chris' mom? I do not mean to go into a personal area and offend you but anyway she is very welcome to our "family" also. Happy Easter and may God Bless.

Rex King
03-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Every coach that Chris has had since high school has personally told me that Chris is one of the most coachable players they have ever had. He is a sponge waiting to soak up any coaching given to him. He is very structured and technical. If you get a chance to go to the camp this summer you will be able to see how hard he will work to contribute to the Texans. Already in his heart he is a Texan. He hasnt been there except for the one visit and he is already chomping at the bit to get to work. Chris will fit in with the other linemen no matter where he would of played. Gibbs and Kubes are going to make this O line something special and Chris knows it. He is pumped.

Welcome to you and your son. Sounds like Chris is going to be able to help the other linemen adjust to Gibbs' system as well.

Thorn
03-20-2008, 06:17 PM
Welcome to the board 55Olinesdad, it’s nice to have you here.

I really need to keep up with these threads; I didn’t realize we now had an “insider” here. I wish Chris all the luck in the world, we need a good center. Do any of your other kids play football, because we also need a LT, RB, CB and safety. LOL

55Olinesdad
03-20-2008, 06:21 PM
Welcome to the board 55Olinesdad, it’s nice to have you here.

I really need to keep up with these threads; I didn’t realize we now had an “insider” here. I wish Chris all the luck in the world, we need a good center. Do any of your other kids play football, because we also need a LT, RB, CB and safety. LOL

Thanks Thorn,

Yes I have a son 20 who is a tight end at FIU and a Junior ( next season ) in high school playing guard/center whos 16.

Specnatz
03-20-2008, 06:23 PM
Thanks Thorn,

Yes I have a son 20 who is a tight end at FIU and a Junior ( next season ) in high school playing guard/center whos 16.

Now we can all brow beat you for the next four years about the different colleges we like to get your son there. :thisbig:

55Olinesdad
03-20-2008, 06:41 PM
Now we can all brow beat you for the next four years about the different colleges we like to get your son there. :thisbig:

I have had three kids go to college on schlorships........I am counting on the last one to do that also.

I would be very ok sending him to Houston to live with Chris LOL.

Texan_Bill
03-20-2008, 06:50 PM

NO!!! Don't even start with ND.

TexansFanatic
03-20-2008, 06:59 PM
55Olinesdad, I want to be a part of this welcome party. Please make sure your son is aware of how excited we all are that he's coming aboard and how much we're behind him. Chris is going to have to get used to the climate change from Denver to Houston, but having spent time in Miami it's not like he won't have a frame of reference. He will soon find that Houston is the friendliest big city in the country. That's the first thing about Houston people tend to notice. Welcome!!!

Specnatz
03-20-2008, 07:02 PM
NO!!! Don't even start with ND.

Now did I even mention a school. :specnatz:

55Olinesdad
03-20-2008, 10:16 PM
55Olinesdad, I want to be a part of this welcome party. Please make sure your son is aware of how excited we all are that he's coming aboard and how much we're behind him. Chris is going to have to get used to the climate change from Denver to Houston, but having spent time in Miami it's not like he won't have a frame of reference. He will soon find that Houston is the friendliest big city in the country. That's the first thing about Houston people tend to notice. Welcome!!!

TexansFanatic
Thanks a lot I appreciate the welcome. I did enjoy Houston the 3 times I have gone there for games and I am looking forward to come see MANY more. Chris is home this week and preparing to come to Houston for work outs and he is going crazy waiting to get there. He has to fly back to Denver to pack some things up and then he will get to work. We all are pretty excited about learning all about the Texans organzation also.

CloakNNNdagger
03-21-2008, 12:01 AM
55Olinesdad,
The fans on this Board can be very reinforcing at times and very critical at other times. But we will always be sincerely passionate about our support of the team. As with any fans, coaching staff and players can quickly go from “savior” to “goat” and back again in “60 seconds.” Let this not be taken personally or discourage you, and especially as it pertains to sharing your thoughts about your son or any other team subjects. A belated welcome to you........and here’s to a future of many stimulating dialogues. :texflag:

infantrycak
03-21-2008, 12:43 AM
Not quoting anything direct, but just to address you. One thing many couch coaches in the past, myself included, have attempted is trying to look at the games to attach responsibility for plays. If you can ever provide insight on that issue and the schemes (addressed generally before hand rather than specifically to your son or after the fact either way) it sure would be appreciated.

Giant Tiger
03-21-2008, 01:03 AM
A Big Welcome from the north as well. I work with a Broncos fan (who I've already thanked :thisbig: ). I have Sunday Ticket, so I watch all the Texans games. I would like to thank you as well for interacting with the fans. Sure is great to have Chris on our team. I wish him all the best. :)

55Olinesdad
03-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Just a note........

Just dropped Chris off at the Ft Lauderdale airport to head back to Denver from his week in Miami. He is chomping at the bit wanting to get to Houston for workouts. He should fly in on Thursday and start his workouts on Friday with Winston.

This entire week Chris has done nothing but talk about how excited he is to be comming to Houston and he just wants to get started NOW. He has a hard time waiting to get going.

On another note.....some of you have suggested areas of Houston for Chris to purchase a home. Are there any large lakes close to Reliant that have nice large homes on them? He would like to not drive more then 20 minutes or so to get to the facility and I know in Houston that may be asking a bit much with the traffic. Any imput is appreciated.

infantrycak
03-23-2008, 05:52 PM
On another note.....some of you have suggested areas of Houston for Chris to purchase a home. Are there any large lakes close to Reliant that have nice large homes on them? He would like to not drive more then 20 minutes or so to get to the facility and I know in Houston that may be asking a bit much with the traffic. Any imput is appreciated.

Twenty minutes in Houston is a very constricting limitation.

Lake Conroe is about 50 miles north of Houston and has the most nice developments on and around it. Lake Livingston is a little farther--it is a much larger lake and has less upscale development but there certainly are nice areas. Lake Houston is a similar distance and is smaller than Conroe--don't know much about the housing. South of the stadium 30 miles or so there are lots of places that have gulf access as well.

Scooter
03-23-2008, 06:00 PM
i love how eager he sounds, the joys of youth lol.

i'm not very familiar with much inside the loop but it's pretty much law that it takes no less than 30 minutes to get anywhere in houston (folks underestimate how stretched out the houston metro area is, plus obviously the traffic). i'd suggest creating a topic in the no sports talk section to get the most feedback. clear lake's a popular area (southeast) and roughly 40-50 minutes to reliant depending on traffic. sienna plantation (southwest) is also very nice and 30-40 minutes away.

55Olinesdad
03-23-2008, 06:11 PM
i love how eager he sounds, the joys of youth lol.

i'm not very familiar with much inside the loop but it's pretty much law that it takes no less than 30 minutes to get anywhere in houston (folks underestimate how stretched out the houston metro area is, plus obviously the traffic). i'd suggest creating a topic in the no sports talk section to get the most feedback. clear lake's a popular area (southeast) and roughly 40-50 minutes to reliant depending on traffic. sienna plantation (southwest) is also very nice and 30-40 minutes away.

Thanks Scooter,,

I wasnt thinking ( no sport talk section ). I will perhaps try that. I kind of had the impression the traffic is much like Miami which pretty much takes 30 minutes to go anywhere also.

CloakNNNdagger
03-23-2008, 07:13 PM
The major highway accesses are very unpredictable. What may take 20-30 minutes one day can easily take a hour or more another. I live within 10 minutes of Reliant. The family neighborhood has most of all the niceties.........but no lake. Several high profile sports figures live here. Chris might entertain living closer rather further, and have a family "weekend hideaway" in the areas pointed out by the others.

infantrycak
03-23-2008, 07:55 PM
Chris might entertain living closer rather further, and have a family "weekend hideaway" in the areas pointed out by the others.

That would be a very good solution.

TexansFanatic
03-23-2008, 08:12 PM
The major highway accesses are very unpredictable. What may take 20-30 minutes one day can easily take a hour or more another. I live within 10 minutes of Reliant. The family neighborhood has most of all the niceties.........but no lake. Several high profile sports figures live here. Chris might entertain living closer rather further, and have a family "weekend hideaway" in the areas pointed out by the others.

Cloak makes an excellent suggestion. There are a lot of really nice reasonably priced homes inside the loop (some within 10 minutes of Reliant Center) that would make a great place to live during work weeks and you could save the nice home near the water for days off.

55Olinesdad
03-23-2008, 09:04 PM

LOL great suggestion, I think Chris is looking for ONE home to purchase. I think if he wants to go spend some time on a lake........he can go rent something.

infantrycak
03-23-2008, 10:49 PM
LOL great suggestion, I think Chris is looking for ONE home to purchase. I think if he wants to go spend some time on a lake........he can go rent something.

Wait till you and he see the Houston housing market. You can get a ton of home (or two) around here for what would cost far, far more most other places.

TexansFanatic
03-23-2008, 11:16 PM
Wait till you and he see the Houston housing market. You can get a ton of home (or two) around here for what would cost far, far more most other places.

You got that right. Best deal going and, consequently, the #1 housing market in the country.

NitroGSXR
03-24-2008, 01:02 AM
And he won't have to pay any state income tax to boot! Texas rocks. A second home by the lake is a very very feastible and an affordable idea in Houston.

Eh. None of my business what he chooses really but if he's looking for a house on a lake 20 minutes from Reliant... not going to happen. If he's only looking for a single house then he should probably consider living in River Oaks, an extremely wealthy neighborhood which isn't too far off from Reliant. Should make it to and from Reliant in about 20 minutes on a daily basis. It's fairly safe and there's a strong police presence which should protect him and his newfound wealth.

Personally, I don't think the traffic in Houston is bad at all. I live in Austin and it's just wildly ridiculous out here. Yeah, it's bad over on I-10 West but everywhere else is NOT that bad at all. I don't get everyone's gripe about it. Traffic at least MOVES unlike many other cities such as AUSTIN where I SIT in traffic on I-35 at MIDNIGHT on SUNDAY! The city planner who designed the roadways here needs to be publically executed.

Houston is a great place to live. Very economical. Very diverse. Plenty of places to see but a lake isn't here. Maybe that's why it's economical but there's a price to pay for everything. I guess it's a trade off. Houses are cheap as heck! I lived in a GRAND 3300 SQ foot place with a heated swimming pool in Houston and now I'm living in a shoddy mobile home in a crack central suburb of Austin. Funny thing? Rent is the same price.

I miss Houston terribly. I hate Austin although Austin is pretty to look at.

TexanSam
03-24-2008, 01:12 AM
And he won't have to pay any state income tax to boot! Texas rocks. A second home by the lake is a very very feastible and an affordable idea in Houston.

Eh. None of my business what he chooses really but if he's looking for a house on a lake 20 minutes from Reliant... not going to happen. If he's only looking for a single house then he should probably consider living in River Oaks, an extremely wealthy neighborhood which isn't too far off from Reliant. Should make it to and from Reliant in about 20 minutes on a daily basis. It's fairly safe and there's a strong police presence which should protect him and his newfound wealth.

Personally, I don't think the traffic in Houston is bad at all. I live in Austin and it's just wildly ridiculous out here. Yeah, it's bad over on I-10 West but everywhere else is NOT that bad at all. I don't get everyone's gripe about it. Traffic at least MOVES unlike many other cities such as AUSTIN where I SIT in traffic on I-35 at MIDNIGHT on SUNDAY! The city planner who designed the roadways here needs to be publically executed.

Houston is a great place to live. Very economical. Very diverse. Plenty of places to see but a lake isn't here. Maybe that's why it's economical but there's a price to pay for everything. I guess it's a trade off. Houses are cheap as heck! I lived in a GRAND 3300 SQ foot place with a heated swimming pool in Houston and now I'm living in a shoddy mobile home in a crack central suburb of Austin. Funny thing? Rent is the same price.

I miss Houston terribly. I hate Austin although Austin is pretty to look at.

Driving sucks. If Houston had a mass transit system, the city would be so much better.

Specnatz
03-24-2008, 01:17 AM
Driving sucks. If Houston had a mass transit system, the city would be so much better.

ask Yankee what he thinks of Metro Buses. :bat:

New_Texans
03-24-2008, 01:18 AM

Houston would be an amazing city if you didn't have to drive everywhere...it would be NYC south...but better cause its not all cramped and stinky.

Hey, the subway system in NYC is a great way to get around, also, i like the light rail...it just needs to expand.

NitroGSXR
03-24-2008, 01:22 AM
Maybe so but unfortunately we don't have it. New York does and would you like to sit in traffic over there? I'll take Houston.

I don't think it would be as cost effective here either. Houston is just too flat. By that I mean that people are spread out rather than stacked. There would be more tracks to lay out thus being more expensive especially since we'd have fewer people paying for it. The lightrail is a step in the right direction but it needs to grow tremenously before we can ever think about being uttered in the same breath as a crappy city such as Chicago with their Els.

Heck if I know! I'm no city planner. I'm just talking out of my rear end.

NitroGSXR
03-24-2008, 01:22 AM
ask Yankee what he thinks of Metro Buses. :bat:
I have never ridden one and I never will.

Scooter
03-24-2008, 01:32 AM
after driving around during rita, i dont mind the traffic so much. that was the single creepiest moment of my life. driving 45 from clear lake to 610 i didnt see one other car on the road ... it felt like something out of an apocolypse movie. I was legend. :hides:

NitroGSXR
03-24-2008, 01:38 AM
after driving around during rita, i dont mind the traffic so much. that was the single creepiest moment of my life. driving 45 from clear lake to 610 i didnt see one other car on the road ... it felt like something out of an apocolypse movie. I was legend. :hides:
We;re trying to make Chris feel comfortable here, not scare him off! Then again, he's from Florida and is probably no stranger to hurricanes.

22 hours to go 25 miles. A mindboggling experience that I never want to remember. Then again, I saw the greatest sight that I've ever seen in my life. A cat in a cat carrier strapped on the outside of a RV chugging along on the road. Amazing sight. It was almost worth the 22 hours. That poor cat.

Specnatz
03-24-2008, 01:54 AM
I have never ridden one and I never will.

Inside Joke............. :photos:

NitroGSXR
03-24-2008, 01:59 AM
Inside Joke.............
Then keep it inside instead of drawing the rest of us into it.:photos:

Specnatz
03-24-2008, 02:06 AM
Then keep it inside instead of drawing the rest of us into it.:photos:

It was posted on the boards a couple months ago, just all in fun for those that recall or want to make fun of him.

AnthonyE
03-24-2008, 03:41 AM

You know, there are quite a few houses for sell in my subdivision (Winchester Country) out here in Jersey Village. ;o Beautiful, cheap houses. 130k for our house, two story. Or across the street in Winchester Village (or something like that) the houses are 200k and much, much larger. :)

Maybe Chris could give me a ride to Reliant on gamedays, LOL.

nunusguy
03-24-2008, 08:25 AM
I live in the Clear Lake area, which is in the SE quadrant of the city (south of the Beltway 8/east of I-45). Part of the area is in Houston proper, part lies outside the city. But the top subdivision here is "Bay Oaks", and he will be amazed at how much house he can get for his money, though I gather he's a single man who might not want to rumble around in such a big house (3000 or more sq ft) by himself and in a neighborhood dominated by family households ? We've been here 19 years and I would totally recommend the area. Reliant is about 30 minutes away, depending upon traffic of course.
I dunno if he is selling something in the Denver area, but unlike most home buyers he may not have to sell to buy elsewhere given his new found fortune/bonus. It's my understanding that Denver has been hit pretty hard-hit by the subprime-mortgage/credit mess ? Houston on the other hand is relatively unscathed.

The Pencil Neck
03-24-2008, 10:47 AM
Maybe so but unfortunately we don't have it. New York does and would you like to sit in traffic over there? I'll take Houston.

I don't think it would be as cost effective here either. Houston is just too flat. By that I mean that people are spread out rather than stacked. There would be more tracks to lay out thus being more expensive especially since we'd have fewer people paying for it. The lightrail is a step in the right direction but it needs to grow tremenously before we can ever think about being uttered in the same breath as a crappy city such as Chicago with their Els.

Heck if I know! I'm no city planner. I'm just talking out of my rear end.

There was a time when I was taking the trains and buses in LA. It was really comfy and nice. But it was slooooowwwww. I would take the train from San Juan Capistrano to Downtown LA and then grab a bus over to where I worked. On the train, I could read or sleep or write but it just took a lot of time.

I learned that if I left a little early and drove myself, I could miss the majority of the traffic and gain a few hours a day.

HOU-TEX
03-24-2008, 10:52 AM
There's Silverlake area in Pearland. Although the lake is more of a cosmetic feature rather than anything else. Kubiak lives in the area and it's a hop, skip and a jump from Reliant.

If he wants a lake to do some fishing and hunting he be a guest at our Lake house anytime. :shades:

nero THE zero
03-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Houston would be an amazing city if you didn't have to drive everywhere...it would be NYC south...but better cause its not all cramped and stinky.

Hey, the subway system in NYC is a great way to get around, also, i like the light rail...it just needs to expand.

www.2035plan.org

55Olinesdad
03-26-2008, 06:33 AM
I live in the Clear Lake area, which is in the SE quadrant of the city (south of the Beltway 8/east of I-45). Part of the area is in Houston proper, part lies outside the city. But the top subdivision here is "Bay Oaks", and he will be amazed at how much house he can get for his money, though I gather he's a single man who might not want to rumble around in such a big house (3000 or more sq ft) by himself and in a neighborhood dominated by family households ? We've been here 19 years and I would totally recommend the area. Reliant is about 30 minutes away, depending upon traffic of course.
I dunno if he is selling something in the Denver area, but unlike most home buyers he may not have to sell to buy elsewhere given his new found fortune/bonus. It's my understanding that Denver has been hit pretty hard-hit by the subprime-mortgage/credit mess ? Houston on the other hand is relatively unscathed.

LOL @ "he may not have to sell to buy elsewhere given his new found fortune/bonus"

It sounds pretty simple knowing what his contract was but in the NFL you do not get your bonus upfront as many tend to think. It comes in spurts during the course of the year in three specific time periods. It is definitly a good bonus but it does not sustain owning a home in Denver for very long. He is definitly selling or leasing his Denver home and has been investigating many of the areas mentioned in everyones post on this board. I have been feeding him some of everyones suggestions over the last week and I do really appreciate everyones posts.

I am so looking forward to many years in Houston following Chris and the Texans. He should be arriving in Houston tomorrow I think. He wanted to get to the facility and start working out early so he is ahead of the game a little bit before workouts officially start. Thanks again everyone for all your positive posts and suggestions. GO TEXANS

TEXANRED
03-26-2008, 08:15 AM
I have been feeding him some of everyones suggestions over the last week and I do really appreciate everyones posts.

You didn't forget to mention the need for your son to stick his foot in Haynesworthless' ass did you?

RipTraxx
03-26-2008, 08:17 AM
You didn't forget to mention the need for your son to stick his foot in Haynesworthless' ass did you?

Ouch. Such hostility so early in the morning......do agree though.

badboy
03-26-2008, 09:54 AM
Ouch. Such hostility so early in the morning......do agree though.As a child growing up I used to watch the Tarzan movies on TV. Two actions by the natives 1) Tying a guy(Hainesworth) between two elephants facing opposite directions and then saying go 2)Tying guy upside down with feet tied one to one tree and the other to another tree allowing individual to be split apart when bent trees were cut loose springing to full upright position.

Now I am not serious but was pretty mad when Hainesworth injured our player. That is a big no no. I realize some say our players (Weary I think was identified) were upset, but I remember jumping up and yelling "Somebody level that pri--, do something". Anyway sorry for side tracking.

Brandon420tx
03-26-2008, 10:00 AM

Thats the fastest way to sell out all the #55 jerseys for sure. It'd make a great poster too.

TEXANRED
03-26-2008, 06:08 PM
Ouch. Such hostility so early in the morning......do agree though.

Me, hostile? No. Not at all.

Just hoping that we finaly got someone on the OLine with some sort of back bone or mean streak.

No one is scared of this Line and people like Haynesworth takes full advantage of it.

I like Salaam but that Pansy answer of "Well this is football and we play the game out on the field" crap is not exceptable.

Now I am not saying to do anything in front of the refs to get a flag or ejected, but if our OLine made it a point to drive him into the ground on every play all game Haynseworth would think twice to screw with a Texan.

infantrycak
03-26-2008, 06:12 PM
I like Salaam but that Pansy answer of "Well this is football and we play the game out on the field" crap is not exceptable.

Hmmmm, seemed like you wanted an exception made.

Now I am not saying to do anything in front of the refs to get a flag or ejected, but if our OLine made it a point to drive him into the ground on every play all game Haynseworth would think twice to screw with a Texan.

The refs are always there, in fact at least two. People love to say these kinds of things and then when Peek or TJ pull a foul for playing that tenth of a second too long, etc. they are calling for their heads as perennial personal foul guys.

TEXANRED
03-26-2008, 06:49 PM

The refs are always there, in fact at least two. People love to say these kinds of things and then when Peek or TJ pull a foul for playing that tenth of a second too long, etc. they are calling for their heads as perennial personal foul guys.

There is a difference between a full on take down by the face mask for the entire world to see and poking a guys eye out in a scrum.

Bubbajwp
03-26-2008, 06:57 PM

I think the Texans Should go all out Replacements(the movie) on their arsses in the first regular season play. Powerbombs, Drop Kicks, Karate chops and the whole nine yards.

infantrycak
03-26-2008, 07:03 PM
I think the Texans Should go all out Replacements(the movie) on their arsses in the first regular season play. Powerbombs, Drop Kicks, Karate chops and the whole nine yards.

I frankly wouldn't mind a coaching directive or QB directive to nail the crap out of Haynesworth on the first play of the game (big deal it is 1st down) and then someone to tell him to keep it clean, but I don't want a whole team playing free lancer all game long on any perceived threat--and I think when the flag is drawn on third down the guy tends to go from being aggressive to that flag drawing bastard.

badboy
03-27-2008, 10:48 AM
I frankly wouldn't mind a coaching directive or QB directive to nail the crap out of Haynesworth on the first play of the game (big deal it is 1st down) and then someone to tell him to keep it clean, but I don't want a whole team playing free lancer all game long on any perceived threat--and I think when the flag is drawn on third down the guy tends to go from being aggressive to that flag drawing bastard.Exactly. The time to correct this was one play in THAT game. Our fall back could be as you said, first play this season and then one of eleven guys getting up off him could say "straighten up and fly right boy!" At least, that is what my daddy said to me.

CloakNNNdagger
03-27-2008, 11:03 AM
Exactly. The time to correct this was one play in THAT game. Our fall back could be as you said, first play this season and then one of eleven guys getting up off him could say "straighten up and fly right boy!" At least, that is what my daddy said to me.

A nicely executed "cut" by our new Gibbs ZBS OL would be a good hint to the big boy.:cowboy1: