PDA

View Full Version : Texans interested in RB Chris Brown | Update: Signed

Pages : [1] 2

DiehardChris
03-11-2008, 09:43 PM
UPDATE: Check that - we're actually meeting with him tomorrow (Wednesday)

According to Rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=199), he's a perfect fit for the ZBS.

He's injury prone, but younger than I thought he was. He's 26... 27 in April.

Man, it's going to be a crowded backfield in training camp.

drewmar74
03-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Yeah, but he runs straight up.

Who else runs straight up? Adrian Peterson. Oh, and Eric Dickerson.

Hey - we're about to sign the next Adrian Peterson!

WOOT WOOT!

In all seriousness, I'd rather have Chris Brown taking handoffs than Ron Dayne.

nero THE zero
03-11-2008, 09:53 PM
I don't like the idea of patching together as many injury prone RBs as you can and hoping someone makes it out in the end. It's like RB Russian Roulette

drewmar74
03-11-2008, 09:56 PM
It's like RB Russian Roulette

QFT.

awtysst
03-11-2008, 09:58 PM
Let me guess, Shaun Alexander is next?

Overalls
03-11-2008, 10:10 PM
I say no to Brown.

DiehardChris
03-11-2008, 10:11 PM

I doubt we'd even show the slightest interest in him.

Hook'er
03-11-2008, 10:16 PM
I think Chris Brown would be a great addition!:specnatz:

Hook'er
03-11-2008, 10:17 PM
I would rather have him that Dayne.

TEXANRED
03-11-2008, 10:20 PM
We've been interested in Chris Brown since before DD was out of the league forever. And every year we have this exact same discussion, weaken the Titans, He is a hard runner, delivers a solid punch. And every year he goes back to the Titans.

I really do hate the offseason.

CloakNNNdagger
03-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Yeah, but he runs straight up.

Who else runs straight up? Adrian Peterson. Oh, and Eric Dickerson.

Hey - we're about to sign the next Adrian Peterson!

WOOT WOOT!

In all seriousness, I'd rather have Chris Brown taking handoffs than Ron Dayne.

I do not believe Chris Brown would be considered as a replacement for Dayne in that he does not tend to do well in the Red Zone.

TEXANRED
03-11-2008, 10:23 PM
I would rather have him that Dayne.

I would rather have a week old half eaten pancake from the bottom of a Luby's trash can, than have Ron Dayne back.

Hook'er
03-11-2008, 10:24 PM
I agree!

Silver Oak
03-11-2008, 10:28 PM
I don't think they ever gave him the chance to be "the man" in Tennessee, so maybe a change of scenery is what he needs.

Vinny
03-11-2008, 10:30 PM
I don't think they ever gave him the chance to be "the man" in Tennessee, so maybe a change of scenery is what he needs.

They did...he's just always hurt

TEXANRED
03-11-2008, 10:31 PM

Thank you DRob.

Overalls
03-11-2008, 10:44 PM

Out of 80 possible starts he had 29. He never started or played in a full season worth of games. He played in 54 out of a possible 80 games. He either was hurt or not good or both. He broke 1000 yards once. And barely did it then. He failed to score a TD in 2 out of his 5 seasons. I don't want him.

If comes here I'll jump on his bandwagon just like I did Greens but I would rather go into the season with what we have than to pick him up.

:fans:

b0ng
03-11-2008, 11:16 PM
I do not believe Chris Brown would be considered as a replacement for Dayne in that he does not tend to do well in the Red Zone.

How is this different from Ron Dayne? Did Dayne become "Dangerous" in the red zone and I didn't get a memo?

ArlingtonTexan
03-11-2008, 11:28 PM
Brown is a frustrating type player. he does not totally suck, but between his injury issues (never really major) and just enough fumbling he drives a person to :gun: :shots: :hairpull:

drewmar74
03-11-2008, 11:32 PM
Brown is a frustrating type player. he does not totally suck, but between his injury issues (never really major) and just enough fumbling he drives a person to :gun: :shots: :hairpull:

Ohhhhhh.... forgot about the fumbling.

As much as Kubiak hates a fumbler, why are they bringing him in? Isn't fumbling what kept Taylor on the bench during the '06 campaign?

IlliniJen
03-11-2008, 11:32 PM

I see you've had him in fantasy football as well.

Specnatz
03-11-2008, 11:34 PM
I see you've had him in fantasy football as well.

How could you take a titan back, it seems like a very dangerous proposition as far as TD go.

hookinreds
03-12-2008, 12:10 AM
I'll pass. Don't want him, don't need him, wouldn't use him if you gave him to me.

TexanFan881
03-12-2008, 12:30 AM
Are Darius Walker and Chris Taylor still eligable for the practice squad? Because if we bring in another RB I don't know if there is enough room for both of them but they have both looked good. Honestly, I wouldn't mind if we don't touch the RB position. We signed Ahman Green who will hopefully be atleast somewhat servicable this year. Darius and Chris have both show promise and given the chance I think they both could carry the load. I'd like to shore up the defense in the draft, especially on the first day, with a CB in the first and a OLB in the third. With Alex Gibbs as a coach I think that we will be fine with what we have. We don't need to be sniffing around guys like Chris Brown.

Hervoyel
03-12-2008, 12:35 AM

Not just yet. We're waiting for the Seahawks to finish breaking him in first. He's our primary free agent target in 09'

Trap_Star
03-12-2008, 12:39 AM
Not just yet. We're waiting for the Seahawks to finish breaking him in first. He's our primary free agent target in 09'

:gun: please no.

barrett
03-12-2008, 12:42 AM

How is this different from Ron Dayne? Did Dayne become "Dangerous" in the red zone and I didn't get a memo?

Exactly. I'd say that makes them pretty similar.

TK_Gamer
03-12-2008, 02:36 AM
Exactly. I'd say that makes them pretty similar.

I think that's not by accident, the Texans are masters at cheap insurance in camp. I think Kubes and company are just hedging their bets in case the guy they want isnt available in the draft. Then after the draft they will hedge some more with the UDFA market. I would think people would have caught on by now.

Malloy
03-12-2008, 03:33 AM
I think that's not by accident, the Texans are masters at cheap insurance in camp. I think Kubes and company are just hedging their bets in case the guy they want isnt available in the draft. Then after the draft they will hedge some more with the UDFA market. I would think people would have caught on by now.

No no, the sky is definately falling!

Scooter
03-12-2008, 03:45 AM
good talent, more risk than most would like, and minimal salary ... sounds accurate to me. if he signs, he signs low or not at all. if he earns a spot and plays, great - he's got the talent to make an impact. if not, no major loss. i like it ... a lot of upside with little downside (outside of fumbles). i know that young backups are automatically fan favorites, but i'd rather sign every minimum available than hope that taylor & walker are hall of fame bound.

and i'll stick up for dayne, in his role as a grinder he was solid and filled in admirably as a starter because our main backs couldnt. he did his job and then some, give him the credit that one of the worst tackles in football (salaam) gets for his efforts. dayne earned his check.

JayCee
03-12-2008, 04:29 AM
and i'll stick up for dayne, in his role as a grinder he was solid and filled in admirably as a starter because our main backs couldnt. he did his job and then some, give him the credit that one of the worst tackles in football (salaam) gets for his efforts. dayne earned his check.
exactly, he did what was asked of him.

PHAROAH
03-12-2008, 04:55 AM
Injury prone and a waste of time.

mussop
03-12-2008, 05:45 AM
Injury prone and a waste of time.

Kinda ruins youre argument about getting a RB in the first round huh?

Dude don't take the bait this is a complete smoke screen for the other teams to bite on. It's obvious the Texans are going to draft a running back really high because they haven't done anything in free agency to at least address the position. IMO the texans are poised to draft a running back in round 1 which one we don't know but all of moves are pointing in that direction.

:redface:

PapaL
03-12-2008, 06:28 AM
Gee kinda sounds like Fred Taylor to me. On the bright side he would probably be injured less since he wouldn't be getting laid out by our DBs twice a year.

CloakNNNdagger
03-12-2008, 07:02 AM

I like many aspects of Brown's game, but as far as "red zone" performance, I was referring to his fumbling, the rate of which is at least twice that of Dayne (Brown-13 in 5 years,of which 8 were lost/Dayne-7 in 7 years, of which 4 were lost).............and most of those have been in the "red zone" leading to significant fan fraustration.

DocBar
03-12-2008, 07:13 AM
Gee kinda sounds like Fred Taylor to me. On the bright side he would probably be injured less since he wouldn't be getting laid out by our DBs twice a year.
I would much rather see our DL and LB's lay out opposing RB's instead of our DB's!!!
:music:

Scooter
03-12-2008, 07:24 AM
2006 . Hou . 11games . 151rushes . 612yards . 4.1ypc . 19long . 5TD . 2fumble
2007 . Hou . 13games . 194rushes . 773yards . 4.0ypc . 39long . 6TD . 1fumble

2006 . NOR . 16games . 155rushes . 565yards . 3.6ypc . 18long . 6TD . 2fumble:
2007 . NOR . 12games . 157rushes . 581yards . 3.7ypc . 22long . 4TD . 7fumble

the first player is the maligned backup for the texans who earns a near minimum salary and as a minority I hope will be back as #2 this year.

the second player is the best runningback to come out of college in the last 30 years who broke the bank before playing a down. production vs potential means squat in this league.

Overalls
03-12-2008, 07:31 AM
2006 . Hou . 11games . 151rushes . 612yards . 4.1ypc . 19long . 5TD . 2fumble
2007 . Hou . 13games . 194rushes . 773yards . 4.0ypc . 39long . 6TD . 1fumble

2006 . NOR . 16games . 155rushes . 565yards . 3.6ypc . 18long . 6TD . 2fumble:
2007 . NOR . 12games . 157rushes . 581yards . 3.7ypc . 22long . 4TD . 7fumble

the first player is the maligned backup for the texans who earns a near minimum salary and as a minority I hope will be back as #2 this year.

the second player is the best runningback to come out of college in the last 30 years who broke the bank before playing a down. production vs potential means squat in this league.

Leaving off Reggies receiving yards is like leaving out VYs rushing yards. Sure it makes your arguement look better but it doesn't paint a full picture. Reggie also had over 1,100 receiving yards over those two seasons. Dayne had under 200 yards receiving over the last two seasons.

Scooter
03-12-2008, 08:11 AM
Leaving off Reggies receiving yards is like leaving out VYs rushing yards. Sure it makes your arguement look better but it doesn't paint a full picture. Reggie also had over 1,100 receiving yards over those two seasons. Dayne had under 200 yards receiving over the last two seasons.

it's also like leaving off ted ginn's return numbers and michael griffin's special teams tackles.

domanick davis averaged 400+ yards receiving in our under .500 years. ladainian tomlinson had 100 receptions and 725yds in a 4 win year. if you have no line (chargers replaced 4 starters on their O-line for 04) and an offense built on dumpoffs it's easy to inflate stats without production. where in those awesome yardage numbers are anything over 20yds ... either as a back or receiver? surely there's something ... anything? hello? bueller?

edit: my arguement is to defend dayne for what he's done both in and outside of his role (i'd like to see him back), and to emphasize the need to sign as many cheap and potentially effective backs as possible ... similar to our 06 defensive tackle situation. taking a shot at reggie bust is just a bonus.

infantrycak
03-12-2008, 09:36 AM

True in part, but then you aren't considering his yards per reception which are piss poor even for a RB--Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byposition?pos=RB&conference=NFL&year=season_2007&sort=45&timeframe=ToDate)

DD by the way averaged 8.3 ypc for 939 yards in his first two years. I seem to recall hearing people around Houston talking about how ineffective all those little dump-offs were.

TK_Gamer
03-12-2008, 10:30 AM
True in part, but then you aren't considering his yards per reception which are piss poor even for a RB--Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byposition?pos=RB&conference=NFL&year=season_2007&sort=45&timeframe=ToDate)

DD by the way averaged 8.3 ypc for 939 yards in his first two years. I seem to recall hearing people around Houston talking about how ineffective all those little dump-offs were.

You know the reason for that though, it was the sheer number of dump-offs that were caused by you-know-who's innability to ready the field and get rid of the ball. Not too many people thought DD was a mediocre back. It was our toal offense that was mediocre.

TheRealJoker
03-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Isn't Barry Sayer's ypc like the worst in 60 years or something?

infantrycak
03-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Not too many people thought DD was a mediocre back.

Oh, there were plenty of people who thought DD was a mediocre back and certainly he was not a great one--slightly above average very versatile back, but not a great one. You'll still see people post that DD was really nothing more than a 3rd down back. That is why the Bush contrast is so amusing. 4th round 3rd down RB sure looks good in comparison:

First 2 years:

DD--2,219 rushing yards at 4.2 ypc, 21 TD's, 103 1st downs, 10 of 20+ yds, 3 of 40+ yds, 939 receiving yards at 8.3 ypr, 1 TD, 42 1st downs, 1 of 20+ yds, 8 total fumbles.
Bush--1,146 rushing yards at 3.7 ypc, 10 TD's, 59 1st downs, 3 of 10+ yds, 0 of 40+ yds, 1,159 receiving yards at 5.7 ypr, 4 TD's, 56 1st downs, 6 of 20+, 2 of 40+, 9 fumbles.

Malloy
03-12-2008, 12:23 PM

Rep time :)

Overalls
03-12-2008, 12:36 PM
I am not hating on Dayne. I would rather have him over Brown and most of the other FA RBs out there. He did his job every where on the field except when we had four tries for one yard.

swtbound07
03-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Oh, there were plenty of people who thought DD was a mediocre back and certainly he was not a great one--slightly above average very versatile back, but not a great one. You'll still see people post that DD was really nothing more than a 3rd down back. That is why the Bush contrast is so amusing. 4th round 3rd down RB sure looks good in comparison:

First 2 years:

DD--2,219 rushing yards at 4.2 ypc, 21 TD's, 103 1st downs, 10 of 20+ yds, 3 of 40+ yds, 939 receiving yards at 8.3 ypr, 1 TD, 42 1st downs, 1 of 20+ yds, 8 total fumbles.
Bush--1,146 rushing yards at 3.7 ypc, 10 TD's, 59 1st downs, 3 of 10+ yds, 0 of 40+ yds, 1,159 receiving yards at 5.7 ypr, 4 TD's, 56 1st downs, 6 of 20+, 2 of 40+, 9 fumbles.

hehe...hehehehe....hehehehehehehe...I love a good bush bashing. Hopefully I'm not too late to join the party.

It's a sad state of affairs where we can't judge someone who was their teams primary RUNNING BACK based on his running yards. LT has good hands too, but he can stand on his rushing totals alone. I want a running back that can run the ball. I said the day he was drafted, and i stand by it...Reggie Bust will NEVER run for 1000 yards in the nfl. Maybe if you add up his punt return yards, trips to the gatorade cooler to fetch for the vets, and miles traveled to and from practice...but by conventional metrics...no. Didn't justin fargas rush for around 1000 last year?

ATXtexanfan
03-12-2008, 12:58 PM
I am not hating on Dayne. I would rather have him over Brown and most of the other FA RBs out there. He did his job every where on the field except when we had four tries for one yard.

agree

TEXANRED
03-12-2008, 04:14 PM

I ain't afraid to say it, I hate Ron Dayne. The only roll that Ron Dayne should have with the Texans is working the concession stand at Reliant. Even then he would get stopped right before he got your food to the counter.

Our running game has been in the bottom half for the past two seasons, and guess who has been our primary back? He averaged 59.6 yards a game. His career hi in rushing is 150 yards! Hell, even Gary Brown had a pair of 200 yard games in his short career. Dayne is old man river.

Dayne needs to move on and so does Brown. I would be fine with Green/Taylor/Walker/Draft pick. I predict this though, if they sign a vet back Green will get cut. Theres no room for 4 backs much less 5.

Ole Miss Texan
03-12-2008, 04:41 PM
I like Ron Dayne. :wild:

Vinny
03-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Dayne needs to move on and so does Brown. I would be fine with Green/Taylor/Walker/Draft pick. I predict this though, if they sign a vet back Green will get cut. Theres no room for 4 backs much less 5.

People were making fun of the Patriots for signing all those WR's last season...looks like it turned out pretty nicely for them.

HOU-TEX
03-12-2008, 04:48 PM
I like Ron Dayne. :wild:

Sorry, but Dayne's horrible. Lack of vision, lack of speed and doesn't pound tacklers like a 250+ lb RB should.

Obviously Kubiak & Co. have the same feelings. :cool:

TEXANRED
03-12-2008, 05:40 PM
People were making fun of the Patriots for signing all those WR's last season...looks like it turned out pretty nicely for them.

Not 5 total but 5 on the active roster. We didn't even carry 3 last year, It was a rotation of Green, Dayne, Gado, and that other guy whose name I can not spell. You can have 5 but then who are you going to put onto the practice squad? Walker, Taylor, and our Draft pick, plus you know we will sign anther UDFA RB and he will land on the practice squad. So then you are looking at 6 backs with four on the practice squad if they really do sign another vet AND keep Green then you will have Green/Taylor/Walker/Draft Pick/UDFA/Vet.

Of course unless we cut Walker, which is possible. I do think we cut Green if we sign a Vet which leaves us Taylor/D.P./UDFA/VET. Which is what I think they are jockeying for.

Even if we do carry 3 on the active roster what spot do you short? OL? WR? DL? ect....

Who knows, maybe he only carried 2 backs last year b/c he really did think that lowly of Walker.

drewmar74
03-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Here's the latest on Brown:

http://beta.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

BROWN OUT OF TENNESSEE?
Posted by Mike Florio on March 12, 2008, 8:27 p.m.
Running back Chris Brown hit the open market a year ago after completing his rookie contract with the Titans. After finding not much interest, Brown returned to the Titans.

And after making jaws drop with 175 yards in Week One against the Jaguars, Brown disappeared. Over the balance of the year, he didn’t rush for more than 46 yards in any game, and he finished the season with only 464 yards.

So this time around Brown might not be going back to Tennessee. He has visited the Texans, and there is now a report that the Bears might be interested.

Chicago needs help at the position, with Cedric Benson still not making good on the potential that made him the No. 4 overall draft pick in 2005. With Thomas Jones traded away in 2007, Benson couldn’t get it done as the go-to back.

With all that said, Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that Brown could sign with the Texans as soon as Thursday.

Dear Chicago,

I never ask you for anything so I guess you owe me this: Please sign Chris Brown.

Thanks!

Andrew

CloakNNNdagger
03-12-2008, 11:18 PM
The thing that bothers me most about Brown is that he has not had your typical severe ACL injuries that puts a finite end to your play for a season. He has a history of spaced multiple injuries at multiple different sites putting him out of action for indeterminate periods of time virtually every season. Now you see him, now you don't.

DiehardChris
03-12-2008, 11:45 PM
Here (http://rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=199)

It's acceptable to start a new thread for his actual signing, right? If not - apologies.

hookinreds
03-12-2008, 11:49 PM
No, you are banned.

DiehardChris
03-12-2008, 11:50 PM
Mods - please move this to the 'nominations for banning this poster' forum, thanks! :bat:

stingray
03-12-2008, 11:55 PM
Chris Brown and Ahman Green? Hmmmmm???? Maybe one will be healthy for each game. I doubt it..

J-Russ
03-12-2008, 11:55 PM
NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports a deal between the Texans and free agent Chris Browns is expected to be completed by Thursday.
It sounds like Houston may be offering Brown a multi-year deal, but we won't know for sure until the contract is finalized. The Texans seem set to use a running back by committee approach in 2008.

Ahman Green, Chris Brown, Chris Taylor, Darius Walker.

What a crop of runningbacks!

hookinreds
03-12-2008, 11:56 PM
Wait, was it acceptable to reply to a new thread started for his actual signing that might not be acceptable to start in the first place?

ObsiWan
03-12-2008, 11:59 PM
Wait, was it acceptable to reply to a new thread started for his actual signing that might not be acceptable to start in the first place?

whut?
huh?
:)

TEXANS84
03-13-2008, 12:03 AM
Similar thread with pre-existing topic.

No signing yet.

hookinreds
03-13-2008, 12:05 AM
The moderator delivers

DiehardChris
03-13-2008, 12:07 AM
At least I knew it might be wrong... that's something, right?

No, no it's not.

ChampionTexan
03-13-2008, 12:09 AM
Will either Chris Brown or Ahman Green be in the Pink for Battle Red day?

hookinreds
03-13-2008, 12:12 AM
At least I knew it might be wrong... that's something, right?

No, no it's not.

You are right that it was wrong, but knowing that it was wrong, doesn't make it right, just becuase you knew it was wrong before you wrote it. Remember, GI Joe says, "knowing is only half the battle".

ObsiWan
03-13-2008, 12:12 AM
I still say this is a move to bring in the AARP crowd. They have lots of disposable income you know.
;o)

hookinreds
03-13-2008, 12:14 AM
Will either Chris Brown or Ahman Green be in the Pink for Battle Red day?

Doubt it, look what it did for NY's Governor.

hookinreds
03-13-2008, 12:15 AM
I still say this is a move to bring in the AARP crowd. They have lots of disposable income you know.
;o)

Would that make us just responsible for the co-pay?

ccdude730
03-13-2008, 12:39 AM
im not following, he will be 27 when the season starts

mexican_texan
03-13-2008, 12:51 AM
Doubt it, look what it did for NY's Governor.
You're thinking of New Jersey's governor.

leebigeztx
03-13-2008, 12:57 AM
I tried to tell everyone that the texans aren't taking a rb in 1st rd. There are a lot of reason why gibbs and kubes don't like mcfadden, mendenhall, nor stewart.

It has been known for yrs that gibbs doesn't care for any back that runs out of the spread set in college. All of the guys drafted in denver while gibs was coaching the line and rbs came from traditional sets. Davis and Gary from georgia and portis from miami. Mayock talked about how difficult it is to judge a college rb that run out the spread. Its hard to see if the guy can press the heels of the lineman, plant his foot and explode. When playing the spread,it basically a bunch of draw plays.

I know how bad people want that ''franchise back'', but I just want the team to avg 130 ypg. I don't care what combinations, just get the yards. I know how much everyone loves peterson from last yr, but his backup ran for 5 ypc. So is it the back or the line?

TEXANRED
03-13-2008, 08:11 AM
I am actually pretty excited about Chris Brown. I know, I know, if anyone has actually read any of my posts I bash the guy, but that is b/c his colors where Viagra Blue trimmed neatly in a pretty Powder Puff Blue. Now he is changing colors to Steel Blue and Battle Red.

He is an upgrade at RB over Walker, and Younger than Green.

Also gives us a little more flexibility at RB if Green or Taylor go down in camp, than Brown and our Draft Pick can step in and be our one two.

I still think Green will eventually get cut with Browns signing, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon. My reasons are that Taylor was already going to push for the starting job in camp, so I doubt he makes it back to the practice squad, and Green was a Sherman guy so there is no one left to protect him.

Taylor/Brown has a nice ring to it.

WaywardTexanFan
03-13-2008, 08:12 AM
NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports a deal between the Texans and free agent Chris Browns is expected to be completed by Thursday.
It sounds like Houston may be offering Brown a multi-year deal, but we won't know for sure until the contract is finalized. The Texans seem set to use a running back by committee approach in 2008.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_relatednews.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=HOU

El Tejano
03-13-2008, 08:48 AM
Danny Clark, who started eight games at outside linebacker until an injury allowed Charlie Anderson to replace him, agreed to a two-year contract with the New York Giants on Wednesday night.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5614462.html

Okay so with Chris Brown agreeing with us, Danny Clark agreeing with NYG, I think that LB kid (USC) in the 1st is going to happen.

Maddict5
03-13-2008, 09:14 AM
hmmmm...

kubiak said they were looking to upgrade:
the secondary (reeves, possibly bryant/dyson)
rb (chris brown)
an LT (nope)
and a pass rushing DE (nope)

my money's on chris williams or harvey/groves

Grams
03-13-2008, 09:19 AM
Are we really going to sign another player to help fill up the IR list?

All this guy seems to do is get hurt. Just what we need to be the team with the most players on IR again.

Errant Hothy
03-13-2008, 09:40 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_relatednews.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=HOU

It's all going to depend on how the cotract is structured.

Errant Hothy
03-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Danny Clark, who started eight games at outside linebacker until an injury allowed Charlie Anderson to replace him, agreed to a two-year contract with the New York Giants on Wednesday night.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5614462.html

Okay so with Chris Brown agreeing with us, Danny Clark agreeing with NYG, I think that LB kid (USC) in the 1st is going to happen.

I'd be all for Keith Rivers at 18, but I don't think he's going to last that long.

TexanFan881
03-13-2008, 09:41 AM
hmmmm...

kubiak said they were looking to upgrade:
the secondary (reeves, possibly bryant/dyson)
rb (chris brown)
an LT (nope)
and a pass rushing DE (nope)

my money's on chris williams or harvey/groves

I agree, even though I think a CB is still likely in the first round. I can't see how we draft running back now. We have two young running backs already in Walker and Taylor. And two vets in Brown and Green. I definately think this is servicable but is the secondary servicable? I don't think so. CB, LT, OLB, and DE are all bigger needs, in my opinion, than RB at this moment. As much as I like Chris Taylor, Darius Walker looked even more impressive last year and I think he could carry the load if it came down to it.

BigBull17
03-13-2008, 10:25 AM
I could easily see Rivers in the first and Godfrey in the 3rd. I am really pulling for the kid, since he has a Texan logo tattooed on his hand.

badboy
03-13-2008, 10:47 AM
Ahman Green, Chris Brown, Chris Taylor, Darius Walker.

What a crop of runningbacks!Re-arrange to Ahman, Chris, Darius and Chris (Taylor). That way you can refer to AC/DC and then actually have something to talk about.

CloakNNNdagger
03-13-2008, 10:55 AM
I do like a healthy Brown. I hope that if this deal goes, through, there are heavy incentives penned into the contract which would occur only if he appears on the field proper...........not the sidelines.

Porky
03-13-2008, 11:10 AM
I do like a healthy Brown. I hope that if this deal goes, through, there are heavy incentives penned into the contract which would occur only if he appears on the field proper...........not the sidelines.

I agree with this. I've always liked Chris Brown. I liked him coming out of school, and was kind of hoping we would draft him.

However, I'm very worried about his durability. I just don't know why he keeps getting injured. Do y'all think it is his upright running style, bad luck, karma, what? In other words is there something that either he or the team could do to cut his risk of injury again?

I do hope we sign him though. Adding talent is never a bad thing in general. Competition breeds success, and with Green, Brown, Taylor, Walker et al, we have some good potential. None of these guys alone will likely be a top 10 guy, but I see a lot of substitution to keep these guys fresh, and hopefully that will help keep them on the field. We shall see.

CloakNNNdagger
03-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Radio 610 just announced that it is being reported by the NFL Network that the Texans have closed the deal with Chris Brown.

03-13-2008, 11:41 AM
huh? we signed him? or do you mean the deal is off?

hadaad
03-13-2008, 11:50 AM
Closed the deal: successful signing.

See Glengarry Glenn Ross: "Coffee is for closers!"

03-13-2008, 11:59 AM
Closed the deal: successful signing.

See Glengarry Glenn Ross: "Coffee is for closers!"

haha i figured. i just want proof of this, if it's true, it's a big signing.

eriadoc
03-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Chris Brown can easily beat any RB on our roster for the starting job ...... if he's healthy. Please let this be an incentive-laden deal.

TheRealJoker
03-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Low risk high reward signing. I like it!!!:whip:

HoustonFrog
03-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Chris Brown can easily beat any RB on our roster for the starting job ...... if he's healthy. Please let this be an incentive-laden deal.

You said it all. I like his ability. I like his skill. I just don't like running upright and how he gets injured. So incentives and lower money would be a key. This makes someone expendable.

Is Dayne now gone?

bckey
03-13-2008, 12:20 PM

I agree. Hopefully the change of scenery and an incentive-laden contract will keep him healthy. Although the Texans track record with injuries would lead you to believe the opposite.

Errant Hothy
03-13-2008, 12:22 PM
I agree. Hopefully the change of scenery and an incentive-laden contract will keep him healthy. Although the Texans track record with injuries would lead you to believe the opposite.

Maybe this is the key.

We bring the healty guys and they get hurt, so if we bring in a hurt guy he will get healty.

stingray
03-13-2008, 12:23 PM
Does this mean we are not going to draft a running back in the first round?

Porky
03-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Is Dayne now gone?

Somewhere Herv is shedding a tear. Pray for Herv. He may need counseling. :devilpig:

Lucky
03-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Chris Brown can easily beat any RB on our roster for the starting job ...... if he's healthy.
Probably true. Quite an indictment on the Texan RB corps.

Brown had some of his biggest games against Indy & Jax. So he's got that going for him.

TheRealJoker
03-13-2008, 12:32 PM
In his only start this season he had 19 carries for 175 yards in the season opener AGAINST THE JAGS. Not sure why they didn't start him the rest of the season.

Finished the season playing 12 games with 102 carries, 462 yards, and 5 tds. 4.5 yard avg.

Triple347
03-13-2008, 12:34 PM

I also love a healthy Chris Brown. I have memories of him running for six touchdowns against Nebraska in 2001. Then he also ran over the Longhorns in the Big XII Championship that same year. Granted he hasn't been able to stay healthy, but I have enjoyed watching him since then.

ChampionTexan
03-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Does this mean we are not going to draft a running back in the first round?

With or without the C. Brown signing, I don't believe we were going to draft a 1st round RB anyway - especially if the reports of Stewart's Foot/Toe injury are accurate.

Overalls
03-13-2008, 12:59 PM
I am not a Chris Brown fan but if he does sign with us I will find a way to fit my fat butt on the bandwagon.

I can see that one of the big IF questions next season will be...

"If Ahman Green and Chris Brown stay healthy we will have a top 10 running game."

I like the idea of a healthy Green and Brown but I can't see both of them staying healthy a whole season.

stingray
03-13-2008, 01:02 PM
With or without the C. Brown signing, I don't believe we were going to draft a 1st round RB anyway - especially if the reports of Stewart's Foot/Toe injury are accurate.

You can't just decide that you are not going to draft a RB in the first round. What if all the players on top of your board are gone and Mendehall is there? You just skip him because you are intent on not drafting a RB? I draft the guy.

aj.
03-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Mendenhall won't be there at 18 so that's a moot point.

Brando
03-13-2008, 01:23 PM
If Fred Taylor can stay healthy for one year anything is possible. I think if they split carries like Fred Taylor has done with MJD, this might be a good signing for the Texans.

Texans Pride
03-13-2008, 01:23 PM
Anyone have a link to this yet? I know Cloak is a very reliable source, as well as Schefter on the NFL Network, I just always like to see it in print as well.

Brando
03-13-2008, 01:26 PM
Anyone have a link to this yet? I know Cloak is a very reliable source, as well as Schefter on the NFL Network, I just always like to see it in print as well.

link (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_relatednews.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=HOU)

ChampionTexan
03-13-2008, 01:31 PM
You can't just decide that you are not going to draft a RB in the first round. What if all the players on top of your board are gone and Mendehall is there? You just skip him because you are intent on not drafting a RB? I draft the guy.

Sure you could. I'm not saying they have - or will, but I think it's a pretty good bet that they've decided they're not going to draft a WR in the first round, or an even better bet they've decided they're not going to draft a QB in the first round, so why can't you just decide the same thing about a RB.

With that said, yes, I agree that if Mendenhall drops to #18, there's an excellent chance they'll take him, but the chances of that happening are extremely small. As deep as the draft is at RB, there is a Super Duper Premium RB (McFadden), and a couple of Super Premium RB's (Mendenhall and Stewart) and then a steep drop off to whoever's next (F. Jones?). If Stewart's injury hurts his draft status (and I said if because I don't know the status at this point), then not only does he become less valuable, but Mendenhall becomes more valuable and is almost sure to be gone when we pick.

eriadoc
03-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Brown didn't get injured last year, right? The Tacks just gave up on him in favor of LenWhale White, I thought.

beerlover
03-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Brown is a restricted free agent that means the tacks can match the offer sheet which will drive the price higher than expected plus cost the Texans some compensation (6th rd. pick) in return. still, if healthy it would be worth it :cool:

ChampionTexan
03-13-2008, 01:46 PM
Brown is a restricted free agent that means the tacks can match the offer sheet which will drive the price higher than expected plus cost the Texans some compensation (6th rd. pick) in return. still, if healthy it would be worth it :cool:

Everything I've seen lists him as an UFA.

beerlover
03-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Everything I've seen lists him as an UFA.

outstanding that would make alot more sense to consumate the deal then :)

infantrycak
03-13-2008, 02:11 PM

You're mixing him up with the Denver C they may be signing to an offer sheet. Brown is UFA.

03-13-2008, 02:13 PM
it'd be really nice to get some confirmation on this...

hookinreds
03-13-2008, 02:27 PM
See also: Guarantee

Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted, why do they put a guarantee on a box? Hmm, very interesting.
Ted: I'm listening.
Tommy: Here's how I see it. A guy puts a guarantee on the box 'cause he wants you to fell all warm and toasty inside.
Ted: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
Tommy: 'Course it does. Ya think if you leave that box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter.
Ted: What's your point?
Tommy: The point is, how do you know the Guarantee Fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy, but we're not buying it. Next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser and your daughter's knocked up, I seen it a hundred times.
Ted: But why do they put a guarantee on the box then?
Tommy: Because they know all they solda ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is. Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for right now, for your sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality item from me.
Ted: Hmm. Okay, I'll buy from you.
Tommy: Well I... What?

Texans Pride
03-13-2008, 02:28 PM
link (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_relatednews.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=HOU)

I checked that link, and although it says a deal should be coming, it doesn't say anything about it being a done deal.

I'm looking for the conformation link, but then again, I guess we all are.

DiehardChris
03-13-2008, 02:42 PM
it'd be really nice to get some confirmation on this...

Confirmation on what? That he's been signed officially?

Nothing yet, but probably by the evening. I think someone said it's been mentioned on 610 as being a done deal.

bigbrewster2000
03-13-2008, 02:42 PM

Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted, why do they put a guarantee on a box? Hmm, very interesting.
Ted: I'm listening.
Tommy: Here's how I see it. A guy puts a guarantee on the box 'cause he wants you to fell all warm and toasty inside.
Ted: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
Tommy: 'Course it does. Ya think if you leave that box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter.
Ted: What's your point?
Tommy: The point is, how do you know the Guarantee Fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy, but we're not buying it. Next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser and your daughter's knocked up, I seen it a hundred times.
Ted: But why do they put a guarantee on the box then?
Tommy: Because they know all they solda ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is. Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for right now, for your sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality item from me.
Ted: Hmm. Okay, I'll buy from you.
Tommy: Well I... What?

gotta rep you on that one. That movie was great and so was that scene.

03-13-2008, 02:47 PM

how is this a guarantee?

bigbrewster2000
03-13-2008, 02:51 PM
how is this a guarantee?

if you havent seen the movie then you wont get it.

03-13-2008, 02:55 PM
if you havent seen the movie then you wont get it.

no no no, i meant chris brown being signed. haha.

though i have no idea what movie that is.

hookinreds
03-13-2008, 02:59 PM
no no no, i meant chris brown being signed. haha.

though i have no idea what movie that is.

Ahhh...youth.

Free rep for the first under 20 year old TTC memeber to name the movie.

DiehardChris
03-13-2008, 03:37 PM
LOL I love that movie.
Rep your way.

Ole Miss Texan
03-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Ahhh...youth.

I'm not under 20 but it's a great movie... "You can get a good look at a T-bone by...."

bigbrewster2000
03-13-2008, 03:46 PM
I'm not under 20 but it's a great movie... "You can get a good look at a T-bone by...."

"Son of a ...... Thats gonna leave a mark."

bigbrewster2000
03-13-2008, 03:48 PM
"Brothers don't shake hands, Brothers gotta hug."

bigbrewster2000
03-13-2008, 03:54 PM
Tommy: "AWWW Man! I got totally douched by mud!

Paul: "Hey Chucko that doesnt smell like mud"

Tommy: "OH thats cold!! Im a maniac! maniac! (Tommy Dancing)

rmartin65
03-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Ahhh...youth.

For real? Thats Tommy Boy right?

Anyway, back on topic. Why dont we just draft a runningback, or bring in a young guy? Runningbacks take a pounding, its a waste of money to bring one in who has been in the league for 6 years.

hookinreds
03-13-2008, 04:27 PM
For real? Thats Tommy Boy right?

DING DING DING...that's a rep of you.

Hervoyel
03-13-2008, 04:55 PM
Somewhere Herv is shedding a tear. Pray for Herv. He may need counseling. :devilpig:
I guess I had that coming what with my "Porky loves Sage" comments. Still I think we'll be fine without Dayne. It's not necessarily how I'd have done it but there are more factors involved than just what a particular player does on the field. Dayne is the odd man out and I kind of believe that Chris Brown, IF he can stay healthy might just be a very good fit in this offense. I was reading that he ran in a similar system at Colorado and did well.

We will see. I'm very curious about the staying healthy part. I look at our backs and see Ahman Green (missed most of 2007 and about the same amount of time in 2005), Chris Brown (missed most of 2006), Chris Taylor (missed all of 2007), and Darius Walker.

We've definitely got some guys who have missed some time due to injury. This could go very well and we could be loaded at RB or this could go very poorly. We won't know till we get there.

The Dude Abides
03-13-2008, 05:22 PM
he's signed.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5617478.html

Goldensilence
03-13-2008, 05:26 PM
he's signed.

Interesting and still plan to draft a RB.

Could this point to Green being cut as the odd man out come June?

Porky
03-13-2008, 05:48 PM
I guess I had that coming what with my "Porky loves Sage" comments. Still I think we'll be fine without Dayne. It's not necessarily how I'd have done it but there are more factors involved than just what a particular player does on the field. Dayne is the odd man out and I kind of believe that Chris Brown, IF he can stay healthy might just be a very good fit in this offense. I was reading that he ran in a similar system at Colorado and did well.

We will see. I'm very curious about the staying healthy part. I look at our backs and see Ahman Green (missed most of 2007 and about the same amount of time in 2005), Chris Brown (missed most of 2006), Chris Taylor (missed all of 2007), and Darius Walker.

We've definitely got some guys who have missed some time due to injury. This could go very well and we could be loaded at RB or this could go very poorly. We won't know till we get there.

Just givin ya a hard time because of your Dayne train love. Oh ya, and the Sage love comment! :user:

Glad to see Brown signed though. This could be a very good signing, or amount to nothing. All depends on whether the guy can stay healthy.

Triple347
03-13-2008, 05:49 PM
Interesting and still plan to draft a RB.

Could this point to Green being cut as the odd man out come June?

I personally think he's gone. He doesn't really fit the ZBS, and I just think he winds up being a June 1 cut, but I could be wrong.

michaelm
03-13-2008, 05:59 PM

The Texans have agreed to terms with free agent running back Chris Brown, who played the last five seasons with the Tennessee Titans.

Coach Gary Kubiak said Wednesday that Brown, who will turn 27 in April, is an ideal fit in the new system being installed by assistant head coach Alex Gibbs.

infantrycak
03-13-2008, 06:00 PM
We will see. I'm very curious about the staying healthy part.

This injury thing is being overblown. Brown has missed one game due to injury in the past three seasons.

I personally think he's gone. He doesn't really fit the ZBS

Huh?--what about Green's running style doesn't fit ZBS?

and I just think he winds up being a June 1 cut, but I could be wrong.

If the Texans intend to make Green a June 1st cut no matter what his health is, it will happen within the next week. They have a history of giving guys as much time to find a new team as possible. I don't think he will be unless he has injury issues in mini-camp and OTAs.

Nawzer
03-13-2008, 06:02 PM
Good signing. If he can stay healthy our running game will be a strength rather than a weakness.

Texans34Life
03-13-2008, 06:02 PM
Looks like Dayne isn't coming back and the Texans are going to draft a RB:

The Texans were looking for another veteran running back who fit the system. They don't plan to re-sign Ron Dayne.

Brown joins Ahman Green, Chris Taylor and Darius Walker in the running back mix.

The Texans still plan to draft a back.

Texans34Life
03-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Looks like Dayne isn't coming back and the Texans are going to draft a RB:

The Texans were looking for another veteran running back who fit the system. They don't plan to re-sign Ron Dayne.

Brown joins Ahman Green, Chris Taylor and Darius Walker in the running back mix.

The Texans still plan to draft a back.

Thorn
03-13-2008, 06:04 PM
from the article

Brown will compete for playing time with Green, Taylor, Walker and a running back who is drafted. It's unlikely that all will be on the final 53-man roster, so the competition in training camp will be fierce. The coaches are extremely high on Taylor's ability to fit in with what Gibbs wants to do. But, if Green and Brown can stay health — a big if — running back could become a strength.

Sounds like a big if to me. He's been injured all five of his seasons with the Titans. I just have to wonder about this choice.

HOU-TEX
03-13-2008, 06:05 PM
From roto:

Texans agreed to terms with Chris Brown on a two-year contract, according to NFL Network's Adam Schefter.

We're not huge fans of Brown because he wears down easily, but Houston is a perfect landing spot for him. He could hit long runs in a zone scheme, and only Ahman Green, Chris Taylor, and Darius Walker are in his way. We expect a committee approach, and Brown has a good chance to find a role. Houston seems less likely to take a running back early in the draft now.

http://rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=114096

infantrycak
03-13-2008, 06:05 PM
He's been injured all five of his seasons with the Titans.

No, he hasn't.

Errant Hothy
03-13-2008, 06:08 PM
No, he hasn't.

There you go again with your silly facts and stuff...:devilpig:

Thorn
03-13-2008, 06:09 PM
No, he hasn't.

from the article:

With the Titans, Brown was a terrific runner when he was healthy, but he was injured in each of his five seasons with Tennessee.

ATXtexanfan
03-13-2008, 06:09 PM
dude was a beast at colorado and he might be a fantasy sleeper, can't complain about the move, just hope for the best

Thorn
03-13-2008, 06:10 PM
Hey guys, don't get me wrong here, I hope he turns out to be what we are looking for and tears up the NFL in our system. But I'm just going by what I read.

Errant Hothy
03-13-2008, 06:12 PM
from the article:

from the same article

By JOHN McCLAIN

Need I say more.

Ole Miss Texan
03-13-2008, 06:12 PM
"Son of a ...... Thats gonna leave a mark."

"Going back on topic to Chris Brown for a second"

Ahman Green, "I wish we would have known each other... THAT was a little awkward." haha

Nawzer
03-13-2008, 06:13 PM
If the Texans do draft a back, one of those guy's is going to get cut. I think Darius Walker is a likely candidate to be cut at this point.

TEXANRED
03-13-2008, 06:14 PM

Without Ron Dayne how are we going to make up that 59.6 yards of rushing per game?

Welcome aboard Chris Brown and congratulations for shedding off your Pansy take it the butt blue and wear the colors of real men.

May you destroy and single handedly defeat the Titans each and every time we play them.

TEXANRED
03-13-2008, 06:15 PM
If the Texans do draft a back, one of those guy's is going to get cut. I think Darius Walker is a likely candidate to be cut at this point.

I dont think Walker or Green will be on the roster on opening day.

SheTitan
03-13-2008, 06:16 PM
Here's a link to his stats
http://www.nfl.com/players/chrisbrown/careerstats?id=BRO341343

Nawzer
03-13-2008, 06:18 PM
I dont think Walker or Green will be on the roster on opening day.

Hmm..I don't know at this point. We've heard so little about Ahman Green's injury that it could be a bad sign. But on the other hand if Ahman is fully healthy then he can clearly be a good running back. Walker on the other hand I think is too small to be a full time starter but he can be a situational guy. But I don't think the Texans will keep this many backs on the team if they decide to draft one.

beerlover
03-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Jonathan Stewart just emailed me this buffalo vs. duck match-up & clearly the best runner was a duck & not a certain rb named Chris Brown-

Chris Brown, who rushed for 198 yards and a school-record six
touchdowns against Nebraska, was held to just 30 yards on nine
carries.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/scores102/102001/102001309.htm

ATXtexanfan
03-13-2008, 06:25 PM
i think our rb situation is now all about strength in numbers, no way all these guys are hurt, imagine if chris taylor lives up to the message board hype along with a healthy green, brown, and walker. WOW. now all we need to do is cut down on the turnovers.

TEXANRED
03-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Jonathan Stewart just emailed me this buffalo vs. duck match-up & clearly the best runner was a duck & not a certain rb named Chris Brown-

Chris Brown, who rushed for 198 yards and a school-record six
touchdowns against Nebraska, was held to just 30 yards on nine
carries.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/scores102/102001/102001309.htm

I dont understand this post. Stewart was like 14.

PHAROAH
03-13-2008, 06:31 PM
Hey guys, don't get me wrong here, I hope he turns out to be what we are looking for and tears up the NFL in our system. But I'm just going by what I read.
another reason to stay away injuries should I say Ahman Green!!!!!!!

RipTraxx
03-13-2008, 06:34 PM
i think our rb situation is now all about strength in numbers, no way all these guys are hurt, imagine if chris taylor lives up to the message board hype along with a healthy green, brown, and walker. WOW. now all we need to do is cut down on the turnovers.

I think running the ball will cut down on turnovers themselves. Since we didnt have much of a running game, we somehow became one of the top passing offenses in the league stat wise. 11th according to NFL.com. So we pass less, drastically reduces INTs.

A ground game will open up play action as well as keep defenses more honest.

Then again when we do run we have to HOLD ON to the ball....thats a whole other story.

Wolf
some need to cut the guy some slack

he was 25/29 on field goals for us and 40/40 on extra points

3 of the misses for 40-49 range and one miss 20-29 range but 5/5 on 50+

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1981

:thisbig: :whip: :splits:

Thorn
Well, maybe the thought is around the odds of both Green and Brown injured at the same time will be low. Either of those two would be terrific when they are healthy.

It doesn't matter now, the deal is done and Brown is a Texan. As with anything else they do, we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Hardcore Texan
"Going back on topic to Chris Brown for a second"

Ahman Green, "I wish we would have known each other... THAT was a little awkward." haha

Nice! The only thing getting me through this thread are the Tommy Boy quotes.

"Your brain has a thin candy shell".....what a freaking great movie.

As far as the Chris Brown thing, I want to see the $ before I rush to judgement. I think he can be a good back when healthy as everybody and their dog has said. Should make for an interesting camp.

RipTraxx
03-13-2008, 06:35 PM
I dont understand this post. Stewart was like 14.

LOL!

eriadoc
This injury thing is being overblown. Brown has missed one game due to injury in the past three seasons.

I don't have any numbers for you, but I had Chris Brown on my fantasy team a few years back. The guy didn't miss games, but he'd go out injured at the half all the damn time. There were some games where he ran for 100+ yards in the first half - and then nothing the rest of the game. That's where the injury rap comes from.

TEXANS84
"Gibbs, he's a guru," Brown said. "He started this whole zone blocking scheme, and that's what I really love to run. That's what I ran in college and then ran a little bit in Tennessee, and that's what I'm best at."

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4223&e=beyelerd@autonation.com

Wolf
I think running the ball will cut down on turnovers themselves. Since we didnt have much of a running game, we somehow became one of the top passing offenses in the league stat wise. 11th according to NFL.com. So we pass less, drastically reduces INTs.

Then again when we do run we have to HOLD ON to the ball....thats a whole other story.

I saw he had like 12 fumbles (7 lost) in 5 or 6 years (however long he has been in )
one fumble all of last year if i looked at the stat right

Wolf
03-13-2008, 06:38 PM
I thought Brown didn't play in a lot of the games because he was in Fishers doghouse

I tried to look up what injuries he had but haven't found it yet

infantrycak
03-13-2008, 06:38 PM
I don't have any numbers for you, but I had Chris Brown on my fantasy team a few years back. The guy didn't miss games, but he'd go out injured at the half all the damn time. There were some games where he ran for 100+ yards in the first half - and then nothing the rest of the game. That's where the injury rap comes from.

He definitely gets dinged, I am just trying to get across to people that are acting like he will be lucky to play in 4 games next year that he generally answers the bell for the start of the game.

RipTraxx
03-13-2008, 06:47 PM
I saw he had like 12 fumbles (7 lost) in 5 or 6 years (however long he has been in )
one fumble all of last year if i looked at the stat right

yeah i just saw that. thanks for the info. With that in mind i think this could be a better pick up then people realize.

Im almost over the bitterness that we didnt go after Michael Turner LOL oh well.

Wolf
03-13-2008, 06:51 PM
off topic but titans board is talking about Alexander being a Titan and (profootballtalk rumor) and some are freaking out that they don't want him
http://forums.titansonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34885
What is our fixation with picking up these running backs that are slow as hell and only average 3 yards a carry? Are we ever going to get some interest in..dare I say it..SPEED?

Nah, we like "time of possession" and losing at the end, good call. No more Seahawk rejects Mike, k?

:lol:

Malloy
03-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Getting confused here, is Dayne a UFA or have we released him ?

JayCee
03-13-2008, 07:03 PM
I have never really seen Chris Brown play - and I can see that he's had some injury issues in the past - but when he's healthy, is this guy the goods?

Just trying to figure out if this signing is something to be excited about.

TexanAddict
03-13-2008, 07:05 PM
This what I remember anytime Chris Brown is mentioned:

http://img90.exs.cx/img90/5040/chrisbrownhitedited8sx.gif

DE-CLEATED!!!

GuerillaBlack
03-13-2008, 07:07 PM
So, looks like our RB's by training camp will be Chris Brown, Ahman Green, Darius Walker, and Chris Taylor. We can work with that.

stiff
03-13-2008, 07:08 PM
Just trying to figure out if this signing is something to be excited about.

From the stand point of not going into next season relying on Green and Dayne I would say yes. Plus, he is no longer a tack. Although this means that Alexander will probably be a tack.

The Pencil Neck
03-13-2008, 07:11 PM
Getting confused here, is Dayne a UFA or have we released him ?

UFA.

Malloy
03-13-2008, 07:12 PM
UFA.

TY.

Bubbajwp
from the same article

Need I say more.

lol nice!

Fox
Not a bad signing but not one that gets me real excited either. From my recollection of watching him play he has decent speed and is fairly physical. If we end up keeping him and Green, hopefully the two of them together can put together an entire season. We came into last season with a bunch of veterans in the WR corp who had big question marks, and they turned out alright, hopefully the RB's can do the same next year.

infantrycak
03-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Although this means that Alexander will probably be a tack.

Good. Suck up some cap room.

Overalls
03-13-2008, 07:14 PM
No, he hasn't.

I said earlier that I will get on his bandwagon if he signs so I will back him as a Texan, but for whatever reason, either ineffective play or injuries, Brown has never played a full 16 game season.

In his rookie year, 2003, he played in 11 games with 0 starts.

In 2004 he played in 11 games with 11 starts.

In 2005 he played in 15 games with 14 starts.

In 2006 he played in 5 games with 3 starts.

In 2007 he played in 12 games with 1 start.

ATXtexanfan
03-13-2008, 07:15 PM

this is all true, did the pats get any points off the ny turnovers in the superbowl?, i don't think they did, could be wrong, it's looks like we will have a kickass offense, however our defense lead the league in points allowed off turnovers and we still need to build a championship defense. i'm all for controlling the clock but our defense still has holes and turnovers will happen

CloakNNNdagger
03-13-2008, 07:30 PM
610 just reported the Brown deal is for 2 years--------other details not yet disclosed.

RipTraxx
03-13-2008, 07:35 PM
this is all true, did the pats get any points off the ny turnovers in the superbowl?, i don't think they did, could be wrong, it's looks like we will have a kickass offense, however our defense lead the league in points allowed off turnovers and we still need to build a championship defense. i'm all for controlling the clock but our defense still has holes and turnovers will happen

Man Assante Samuel missed at LEAST 3 picks in the SB right through his hands....and what does he get a 54 million contract LOL

My Def. Coord always said. "you gotta catch the ones they throw to you"

ObsiWan
03-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Training camp is going to be really interesting.
Green, Brown, Taylor, Walker

And I'm still not convinced we won't pick up one more in the draft or as an undrafted walk on.

BSofA04
03-13-2008, 07:52 PM
This what I remember anytime Chris Brown is mentioned:

DE-CLEATED!!!

Things that make you say "DAAAAMNNN"!!!!! You got....jacked up! JK, happy to see Brown is a Texan. Better to have a 2 year deal with a solid back than a 4 year deal with a RB that's over the hill. (*cough*Green)

The1ApplePie
03-13-2008, 07:54 PM
Training camp is going to be really interesting.
Green, Brown, Taylor, Walker

And I'm still not convinced we won't pick up one more in the draft or as an undrafted walk on.

That's a whole bunch of injury prone in one backfield:thinking:

ATXtexanfan
03-13-2008, 08:07 PM
Man Assante Samuel missed at LEAST 3 picks in the SB right through his hands....and what does he get a 54 million contract LOL

My Def. Coord always said. "you gotta catch the ones they throw to you"

i though the same thing, he also didn't lay the wood on that crazy ass catch that won the game for ny, he had afront row seat

maddogmrb
03-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Good serviceable signing. Probably not a full-time back or long term solution, but okay.

DocBar
03-13-2008, 08:31 PM
If memory serves me, didn't Chris Brown have a case of fumble-itis when he was the "man" in Tack town?
All in all, this is another idonno: signing for me . I do like the fact there should be some fierce competition in TC. I hope Brown and Green survive it.:shades:

b0ng
03-13-2008, 08:59 PM
Wow, maybe we can put all of our current RB's together and form some sort of shitty RB Voltron.

I'll be skeptical of this signing. He seems like he can be a good back, but that's about all he's accomplished in his 5 years.

mexican_texan
03-13-2008, 09:01 PM

Up until that hit, Chris Brown was the AFC's leading rusher.

El Tejano
03-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Things that make you say "DAAAAMNNN"!!!!! You got....jacked up! JK, happy to see Brown is a Texan. Better to have a 2 year deal with a solid back than a 4 year deal with a RB that's over the hill. (*cough*Green)u

You know that hit is what started all of this for Chris Brown. I remember he was tearing it up and being considered one of the best young RBs in the league until that hit.

Maybe if we get Simmons to lay another one of those on him, he can get knocked back to being the old Chris Brown.

TEXANRED
03-13-2008, 09:12 PM
I said earlier that I will get on his bandwagon if he signs so I will back him as a Texan, but for whatever reason, either ineffective play or injuries, Brown has never played a full 16 game season.

In his rookie year, 2003, he played in 11 games with 0 starts.

In 2004 he played in 11 games with 11 starts.

In 2005 he played in 15 games with 14 starts.

In 2006 he played in 5 games with 3 starts.

In 2007 he played in 12 games with 1 start.

This really isnt a fair assesment, 2004 was his rookie season and did not begin the year as a starter, 2006 and 2007 Bud had to make himself look good for drafting White and Henry.

For some reason the Titans never really liked Brown. I always thought he was the best back on there team and they never chose to play him.

Leahmic223
03-13-2008, 09:33 PM
Heard about this earlier.

If he's good for the two games we play against the Titans (You know how player are when they play against their old teams.) well it sure helps our sucky division record.

Not really excited about it, but with our RB situation need all the help we get so...welcome to H-Town Chris Brown.

Polo
03-13-2008, 09:39 PM
I like Chris Brown...I think he runs hard, and he has some talent...the guy doesn't suck...

I think if you take into account that our run blocking will likely be better, this is a pretty good signing...

I think that with a good stable of running backs our run game will be o.k...Honestly I don't care who's carrying the ball...I just want good run production as a team...

JayCee
03-13-2008, 10:17 PM
Wow, maybe we can put all of our current RB's together and form some sort of shitty RB Voltron.

Damn, that made me laugh out loud at work and disturb everyone. :cool:

CloakNNNdagger
03-13-2008, 10:29 PM
The Texans have probably been interested in him because of his out of the backfield catching prowess, fearless blitz pick up........and he has admittedly been the best 3rd down back that the Tacks have had for years.

TEXANRED
03-13-2008, 10:54 PM
The Texans have probably been interested in him because of his out of the backfield catching prowess, fearless blitz pick up........and he has admittedly been the best 3rd down back that the Tacks have had for years.

Any way you slice it, this is a solid pick up. Anything to keep Dayne from coming back.

Now that I have said that Brown will blow a knee, Taylor will pop a hammy, Walker will have been cut and signed by another team, Green will retire, and our draft pick couldnt carry a glass of water with two hands. And then there he will be, Ron Dayne, just waiting for the call.

CloakNNNdagger
03-13-2008, 10:56 PM
This is Brown trying to convince Fischer that he really can hold on to the ball..................................... while someone holds on to his. :shots:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2005/12/18/2002691279.jpg

b0ng
03-13-2008, 10:56 PM
And then there he will be, Ron Dayne, just waiting for the call.

And the tears from all Texans fans will flow like the rains of 40 days and 40 nights.

With having Green and Brown on the roster you know that at some point Walker and Taylor will both probably get their shots this season.

DiehardChris
03-13-2008, 10:58 PM

BWAHAHAHA that is so good. LOLOLOLOL

DiehardChris
03-13-2008, 11:01 PM
Here are Brown's career fumble numbers.

Fumbles-Lost
2003 1-0
2004 6-4
2005 4-3
2006 1-0
2007 1-1

Pretty bad in the past, but not so bad last year. 2006 is thrown out because he barely played.

Spled
03-13-2008, 11:29 PM
I don't understand the Dayne hate. He averaged a good solid 4 yards a carry and had only 2 fumbles in his 2 years here.

drewmar74
03-13-2008, 11:31 PM

Possibly the best one-liner ever.

Really.

TEXANRED
03-13-2008, 11:34 PM
I don't understand the Dayne hate. He averaged a good solid 4 yards a carry and had only 2 fumbles in his 2 years here.

Its his awsome 59 yards a game and the inability to run for 1 yard at the goal-line or on 4th downs.

He also does not show up to play until week 8.

For the last two years he has had the bulk of the carries and for the last two years we have finished in the bottom of rushing.

Texaninlild
03-13-2008, 11:53 PM
So which RB won't make the roster?

I expect we will draft a back in the 3rd or 4th. I wouldn't expect them to cut the young man.

Green, Brown, Taylor, Walker, Rookie? Who will be cut? I can only see them keeping 3 on the roster.

I vote we add a shitty RB Voltron Smiley to the selection.

Do we give him number 29 or 30? Perhaps we can give him number 29 1/2.

:specnatz:

beerlover
03-14-2008, 12:02 AM
Man I wish the draft would hurry up & get here, not because I'm tired of making/reading mock drafts either, its that darn GM Rick Smith before the draft even gets here he's gonna have all our needs filled & no reason to even make draft selections :texflag:

dalemurphy
03-14-2008, 12:12 AM
So which RB won't make the roster?

I expect we will draft a back in the 3rd or 4th. I wouldn't expect them to cut the young man.

Green, Brown, Taylor, Walker, Rookie? Who will be cut? I can only see them keeping 3 on the roster.

I vote we add a shitty RB Voltron Smiley to the selection.

Do we give him number 29 or 30? Perhaps we can give him number 29 1/2.

:specnatz:

Barring serious injury, I believe we will keep 4 on the 53 man roster:

CBrown
AGreen
CTaylor
Walker or a rookie TBA..

My guess is it will be a late round rookie who can play special teams. Otherwise, he and/or Walker will likely find themselves on the practice squad. I see no way we draft a RB in the first 4 rounds!

As much as it is true that CBrown has been injury-prone, he has played in at least 11 games every season- that's not too bad!

dalemurphy
03-14-2008, 12:14 AM

It's not hate, it's honest evaluation. I like and appreciate him, however he is slow, overweight, over the hill, has poor vision, and will never be a key piece of a playoff team.

GP
03-14-2008, 12:19 AM
You gotta' be kidding me.

The free agent move we make is for a guy who can't wrestle the starting job from LenDale White?

I want to publicly state that I am ready to fist-fight :wild: anybody who thinks this is a good move. He's injury-prone and M.I.A. as much as Green was last year.

Forget the details of the contract. I wouldn't care if we'd spent $1 on him. To me, that's $1 that could have bought a burger for Dayne.

LOL. I hate this team. We are so retarded when it comes to running backs.

Texaninlild
03-14-2008, 12:19 AM
Barring serious injury, I believe we will keep 4 on the 53 man roster:

CBrown
AGreen
CTaylor
Walker or a rookie TBA..

My guess is it will be a late round rookie who can play special teams. Otherwise, he and/or Walker will likely find themselves on the practice squad. I see no way we draft a RB in the first 4 rounds!

As much as it is true that CBrown has been injury-prone, he has played in at least 11 games every season- that's not too bad!

So are you thinking we draft CB, OT, CB in rounds 1-4?

I don't think Taylor will be ready. I have not seen a RB come back from a serious knee injury in the following year and play well. I did like him before the injury.

dalemurphy
03-14-2008, 12:29 AM
So are you thinking we draft CB, OT, CB in rounds 1-4?

I don't think Taylor will be ready. I have not seen a RB come back from a serious knee injury in the following year and play well. I did like him before the injury.

Well, my understanding is that it was a pretty clean ACL tear. Guys are coming back to that pretty quickly now. Also, he was injured in August- it's not like it happened in November. He should be fully recovered from the injury 7-9 months afterwards. After that, it's a matter of mentally recovering. So, I think he should be good to go by preseason. However, you never know.

DiehardChris
03-14-2008, 12:35 AM
I think there's a fairly decent chance that we don't even draft a RB now.

leebigeztx
03-14-2008, 12:44 AM
One thing about chris brown is that if he hits a crease, he's gone. He has explosion as good as any back in the league. if he gets some of those creases dayne got last yr, it will be a long run. Browns problem has always been health related. I can see him getting 15 carries per and the neext back getting 15 carries per and kubes riding the hot hand.

Wolf
03-14-2008, 12:49 AM
I am satisfied with this move.we filled a hole, injury prone or not this team is a RBBC and hopefully parts of the shitty voltron will stand the test of 16 or more weeks... i don't know what we paid the guy but like Aj said on my signature... This team has to build its stars through the draft.. CC and crew proved that there is a reason players are left to go to FA .they want to get paid and paid well. (overpay) and teams that have their star core players find ways to keep them.

Wolf
03-14-2008, 12:53 AM
I think our draft board is set or close to it by now... doesn't mean if someone slips that Kubiak isn't afraid to either take him or move down.

but I think brown gives us an option on draft day on whether to move up/move down or stay pat ...IF we are looking at RB

Wolf
03-14-2008, 12:58 AM
interesting scenario if we would have chose it
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/playerStats?categoryId=140393
brown
career 4.3 average per rush and 9 average per catch with 13 fumbles (8 lost)

or who we possibly could have had
Bush
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=7751
3.7 average per rush and 7.2 average per catch with 9 fumbles(5 lost)

I am just saying so far Texans dodged a bullet, so please dont' read much more into it

barrett
03-14-2008, 12:59 AM
Man I wish the draft would hurry up & get here, not because I'm tired of making/reading mock drafts either, its that darn GM Rick Smith before the draft even gets here he's gonna have all our needs filled & no reason to even make draft selections :texflag:

gotta love 'em!

barrett
03-14-2008, 01:01 AM

The free agent move we make is for a guy who can't wrestle the starting job from LenDale White?

I want to publicly state that I am ready to fist-fight :wild: anybody who thinks this is a good move. He's injury-prone and M.I.A. as much as Green was last year.

Forget the details of the contract. I wouldn't care if we'd spent $1 on him. To me, that's $1 that could have bought a burger for Dayne.

wow.

barrett
03-14-2008, 01:18 AM
also, keep in mind it's just one more player in camp competing for a roster spot. not even a first or second string spot... it's a good pickup. he's cheap, shown flashes and at the very least will improve the position because of the camp competition.

end of debate.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
03-14-2008, 01:22 AM
The Texans will still draft a running back. I think we go into the season with 4 RBs, Ahman Green being the odd man out. It will be running back by committee. That would be my guess.

TexanSam
03-14-2008, 01:23 AM
I like this signing. I think Chris Brown can do very well in our system. He has shown flashes of what he can do. Unfortunately he's always nicked up. To me it kind of seems that's we're fixing our running back situation the same way we fixed the WR position last year. Last season we had Kevin Walter, Andre Davis, and Jacoby Jones all fighting to be the #2 WR. It brought about good competition and our WR corps was much improved. I think the same thing will happen with our running backs. We now have Chris Taylor, Darius Walker, Chris Brown, and Ahman Green to compete for the guy getting the most playing time. Maybe it's just a gut feeling, but between Brown, Taylor, and Walker I think we may find our future RB out of that group.

JayCee
03-14-2008, 01:53 AM
I hate this team.
Calm down :texflag:

Haven't seen the below posted yet;

Brown, who turns 27 next month, signed a two-year contract worth $3.6 million on Thursday. He received an $800,000 signing bonus.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5618434.html

b0ng
03-14-2008, 02:07 AM

You're amazing.

dalemurphy
03-14-2008, 02:30 AM
wow.

Barrett, you bring up some very interesting points. I'm going to have to contemplate on that for a while. I think I speak for the rest of the board when I say, "your insight is irreplacable".

Specnatz
03-14-2008, 03:03 AM

I am sorry did you see the contracts being thrown out for guys who suck like (Hate to say this) Julius Jones who is not one the field in the 4th quarter or on those tough downs and you would like the Texans to throw shit loads of cash for that? That would like promising a bunch of folks a very good bluesish rock band and giving the Hanson (I dont give a rats ass about what they are trying to portray with there so called new sound). It is just not only stupid but it does nothing to help this team get better by strapping a wad of cash to guys who suck, when you can sign someone who is good when healthy to a low dollar high reward contract.

TC, will conrrect me if I am wrong but didn;t they call Marvin Harrisons injury a bone bruise just like they did Green? He sat out 7 or 8 weeks and did not play and practice hard and he came back for the last playoff game and was atrocious and he was on the sidelines during the last drive. So please get off about the injury unless you will say the same things about Marvin harrison.

Mike Kerns
03-14-2008, 08:23 AM
I actually like it. But I would rather have just about anyone over Ahman Green...

Brando
03-14-2008, 08:49 AM

Why don't you pull a Fight Club and fight yourself? :)

Just youtube it so we can watch.

Imatexanfan
03-14-2008, 08:58 AM
You know he is only 27 with Ahman in his 30s so whats the deal. Hell they'll probably release either or in training camp anyways.:thinking:

Maddict5
03-14-2008, 09:01 AM
i like this move... low risk (well pretty high risk but low consequences) and potential high reward

Thorn
03-14-2008, 09:06 AM
After having slept on this, I haven't changed my mind. I don't like signing another injury prone RB, but I hope like hell he works out. I really do.

But if he doesn't yall will be hearing me and a few other brave souls here yelling "I told ya so".

Maddict5
03-14-2008, 09:20 AM
http://texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47458&page=7

post 131

you heard it here first
:)

TEXANS84
03-14-2008, 09:30 AM
From the Titans message board, somebody actually sums up the Houston rushing game in one sentence:

God forbid Houston actually invest a high draft pick in a running back instead of just signing injury prone guys.

GP
03-14-2008, 09:40 AM
From the Titans message board, somebody actually sums up the Houston rushing game in one sentence: "God forbid Houston actually invest a high draft pick in a running back instead of just signing injury prone guys."

Nah. That'd be too much of a "risk."

I defy anyone to sit here and tell me, honestly, that this is going to turn out to be a rewarding signing for this team. You guys can bash me all you want for being "pessimistic" and for "ragging on this team," and you can tell me to go find another team. I could care.

But I feel the same way about this move as I did about the Ahman Green signing this time last year, and I got ragged on here for stating the obvious about the Ahman Green hype. I'd rather get flamed and be right, as opposed to being unrealistically optimistic and wrong.

You guys "pretending" that this might work out, and that we might get such-and-such out of Chris Brown....well, continue to delude yourselves. If it makes you feel good about this team's pathetic running back situation...then take the drug and be happy.

Darius Walker and Chris Taylor are now the most promising running backs on our team. Let that sink in for a moment.....................

Maddict5
03-14-2008, 09:43 AM
From the Titans message board, somebody actually sums up the Houston rushing game in one sentence:

and their pair of high pick rb's (2nd's) are doing so well?

GP, I SHALL DEFY THOU :pirate:

Vinny
03-14-2008, 09:46 AM
800K guarantee? I'm in. Looks like we have our third down back.

GP
03-14-2008, 09:47 AM

LOL! I'm Lovin' it!!!!!!!!!!!!

:d:

Mr teX
03-14-2008, 09:47 AM

See if they say that when ol' lenny swells up Gary Brown style circa 95'-96 or that all-pro reserve chris henry turns out to be just what he was in high school & college a guy to split carries with.

Having said that i don't like the signing, This dude is Kubiak's nightmare as a RB. Injury prone & has bouts of fumbilitis at times. I would've been okay with just picking someone up in the draft to groom.

Goldensilence
03-14-2008, 10:02 AM

You forgot the #3 overall they took.

Honestly It's not that bad of a signing considering we don't have to rely on Dayne as the primary backup now. I think this puts more flexibility with what we want to do come draft day. From all signs I've seen Mendenhall won't fall to us now and with Stewart's pending surgery that takes him out of the picture. So what other options were the Texans supposed to be looking at? Was anyone else keen on 5 Mil a year to Turner? Jones who can't carry the full load? A player Comparable to Green in Shaun Alexander? Kevin Jones?

What would you have us do then GP? Lay out your reasonable plan. You're screaming as if you were the only one on the board who held reservations about signing Ahman last year. Get over yourself.

Errant Hothy
03-14-2008, 10:06 AM
800K guarantee? I'm in. Looks like we have our third down back.

For a 2 year deal. How can you not be happyabout this deal?

If it works out, great; and if it doesn't it cost you nothing.

And the icing is it does not stop you from drafting a RB at 18 if one is there that you like.

All in all another brilliant move by Rick Smith. Once again we may enter the draft with most of our needs addressed and therefore we can go bpa all day.

El Tejano
03-14-2008, 10:15 AM
Has anyone seen Chris Brown run? I was looking over some of his footage and looks to me alot of his reasons for getting hurt are due to his aggressiveness in his runs. Dude does lower his head and takes a hit, and has shown some resilience in his running. Take the Simmons hit, which I feel is what kept Chris Brown from being better, he put his head down and got hurt but he wasn't scared.

I also don't think Kubiak is making him the end all of RBs. He knows this is a position of weakness, he knows his team has more than enough holes to fill (OT, CB, LB, RB, S). This move just parallels what he did with the WR corp. He brought in alot of talent be they young old, injury prone or healthy and ended up making them a strenght.

I would much rather have AG, DW, CT, CB, and rookie than just AG, DW, CT and rookie. We can still draft one in the later round that will be good (Ray Rice maybe).

infantrycak
03-14-2008, 10:28 AM

Starts and injuries are not the same thing. Dude has played behind Eddie George, Travis Henry and then LenDale White. By your standard, Sage is a scrub and the Texans are idiots for not taking a 3rd for him.

Things that make you say "DAAAAMNNN"!!!!! You got....jacked up! JK, happy to see Brown is a Texan. Better to have a 2 year deal with a solid back than a 4 year deal with a RB that's over the hill. (*cough*Green)

Texans fans love that clip (and it is good hit) but Brown came back into that game while Simmons was out for several games afterwards.

Vinny
03-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Has anyone seen Chris Brown run? I was looking over some of his footage and looks to me alot of his reasons for getting hurt are due to his aggressiveness in his runs. Dude does lower his head and takes a hit, and has shown some resilience in his running. Take the Simmons hit, which I feel is what kept Chris Brown from being better, he put his head down and got hurt but he wasn't scared.

actually his lack of lowering his head leads to many of his injuries. Many upright running styles lead to more injuries for backs. You always hear coaches talking about "getting behind your pads".....Brown runs fairly high for a rb.

Malloy
03-14-2008, 10:40 AM
You guys "pretending" that this might work out, and that we might get such-and-such out of Chris Brown....well, continue to delude yourselves. If it makes you feel good about this team's pathetic running back situation...then take the drug and be happy.

Curious, what divine knowledge do you pocess that leads you to KNOW that this is a bad signing?

It might be, it might not. But just because people do not agree with you does not make them deluding pretenders...

HOU-TEX
03-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Texans fans love that clip (and it is good hit) but Brown came back into that game while Simmons was out for several games afterwards.

He might have come back in that game, but if I remember correctly he missed a game or two after due to a slight shoulder separation. :cool:

HoustonFrog
03-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Curious, what divine knowledge do you pocess that leads you to KNOW that this is a bad signing?

It might be, it might not. But just because people do not agree with you does not make them deluding pretenders...

Malloy, don't go there, GP thought Carr was great, thinks Kubes is a bad coach and is transitional, thinks Sage is a savior and many other things.

As far the situation. There is nothing not to like. We didn't break the bank for the guy. He was coached up in Colorado's system by Gibbs when he was with Denver. He is probably the most talented back we have now. I think the way it plays out is instead of having 4-5 RBs that you are trying to figure out, you have Brown and Green splitting carries to keep each other fresh and healthy. You then draft a guy...maybe not 1st round...and you have those 3 and maybe Taylor. It is an upgrade in talent and we don't have a logjam of 5 guys who are mediocre. That's how I see them working it.

eriadoc
03-14-2008, 10:48 AM
I am sorry did you see the contracts being thrown out for guys who suck like (Hate to say this) Julius Jones who is not one the field in the 4th quarter or on those tough downs and you would like the Texans to throw shit loads of cash for that? That would like promising a bunch of folks a very good bluesish rock band and giving the Hanson (I dont give a rats ass about what they are trying to portray with there so called new sound). It is just not only stupid but it does nothing to help this team get better by strapping a wad of cash to guys who suck, when you can sign someone who is good when healthy to a low dollar high reward contract.

TC, will conrrect me if I am wrong but didn;t they call Marvin Harrisons injury a bone bruise just like they did Green? He sat out 7 or 8 weeks and did not play and practice hard and he came back for the last playoff game and was atrocious and he was on the sidelines during the last drive. So please get off about the injury unless you will say the same things about Marvin harrison.

It's not often you get to mix in football and Hanson in the same post. Bravo, sir.

Malloy
03-14-2008, 10:59 AM
I think the way it plays out is instead of having 4-5 RBs that you are trying to figure out, you have Brown and Green splitting carries to keep each other fresh and healthy. You then draft a guy...maybe not 1st round...and you have those 3 and maybe Taylor. It is an upgrade in talent and we don't have a logjam of 5 guys who are mediocre. That's how I see them working it.

It might very well play out like that, sounds plausible to me at least.

HJam72
03-14-2008, 11:02 AM
actually his lack of lowering his head leads to many of his injuries. Many upright running styles lead to more injuries for backs. You always hear coaches talking about "getting behind your pads".....Brown runs fairly high for a rb.

Eric Dickerson

This probably ain't about Brown anyway, but I always wondered when I was a kid and they bragged about Dickerson running with his knees so high--what about him getting his shoulder pads (head) down? I know he didn't run with his head between his legs. :)

Since I brought it up, does Brown get his knees high?

Brown is someone I've been REAL impressed with when I saw him play, but I'm clueless about how bad the injury problems may be.

HJam72
03-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Malloy, don't go there, GP thought Carr was great, thinks Kubes is a bad coach and is transitional, thinks Sage is a savior and many other things.

As far the situation. There is nothing not to like. We didn't break the bank for the guy. He was coached up in Colorado's system by Gibbs when he was with Denver. He is probably the most talented back we have now. I think the way it plays out is instead of having 4-5 RBs that you are trying to figure out, you have Brown and Green splitting carries to keep each other fresh and healthy. You then draft a guy...maybe not 1st round...and you have those 3 and maybe Taylor. It is an upgrade in talent and we don't have a logjam of 5 guys who are mediocre. That's how I see them working it.

That's what I was thinking as soon as I heard they were looking at Brown.

Vinny
03-14-2008, 11:12 AM
Eric Dickerson

This probably ain't about Brown anyway, but I always wondered when I was a kid and they bragged about Dickerson running with his knees so high--what about him getting his shoulder pads (head) down? I know he didn't run with his head between his legs. :)

Since I brought it up, does Brown get his knees high?

Brown is someone I've been REAL impressed with when I saw him play, but I'm clueless about how bad the injury problems may be.
I think Dickerson was 6'3" also...he was not a normal run of the mill back and I haven't seen anyone like him since him. Calvin Hill also ran well and he ran bolt upright. Brown has good cut and run ability. He should do well here when healthy.

dalemurphy
03-14-2008, 11:17 AM
I think Dickerson was 6'3" also...he was not a normal run of the mill back and I haven't seen anyone like him since him. Calvin Hill also ran well and he ran bolt upright. Brown has good cut and run ability. He should do well here when healthy.

Paying Brown and treating Brown like he's only a small piece of the puzzle mitigates the injury issue. He has played in at least 11 games each of his 5 seasons. So, he's not broken down, he's just likely to miss some time. With Green, Taylor, Walker and/or a rookie, that shouldn't be too much of a concern. One thing Kubes has learned the first two seasons is to not count on anybody's health.