PDA

View Full Version : Suggs grievance highlits value of hybrid position

nunusguy
03-06-2008, 09:34 AM
At issue is Suggs' position. He has been a 3-4 outside linebacker for most of his Baltimore days, which means -- as most OLBs in these systems do -- he kicks down to play rush end on passing downs. The Ravens are saying he's a linebacker, and that the tender number should be $8.065 million. Suggs, in this case, would rather be an end, since the figure at that position is $8.879 million.
Fact is, almost all 3-4 outside linebackers are really stand-up defensive ends with limited coverage responsibilities on running downs, based on the spacing and alignment of the defense.
http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/

infantrycak
03-06-2008, 02:18 PM
From what I read, Suggs actually had more snaps with his hand down than standing. He should win this one.

Now what is he wins and then the question becomes does he file another grievance saying they didn't tender me properly by the deadline and therefore I am now an UFA.

Second Honeymoon
03-06-2008, 03:29 PM
From what I read, Suggs actually had more snaps with his hand down than standing. He should win this one.

Now what is he wins and then the question becomes does he file another grievance saying they didn't tender me properly by the deadline and therefore I am now an UFA.

if the Ravens being cheap over 800k costs them Suggs, that would just be priceless. I would do it this way. If he is listed as a DE in the team's press releases and official roster information for the Ravens (last year's edition) then he should win his case. If it says DE/LB than I still think he should win the case due to him being versatile for the team and the team is rewarding him for that by trying to screw him out of his money.

JayCee
03-08-2008, 03:34 AM
just give him the 800k. is it really worth upsetting one of your marquee player over this comparatively small amount?