PDA

View Full Version : OG Jake Scott to Titans

Errant Hothy
03-05-2008, 08:13 PM
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Texans | Team interested in Scott
Wed, 5 Mar 2008 16:57:23 -0800

Lee Rasizer, of the Rocky Mountain News, reports the Houston Texans are interested in free-agent OL Jake Scott (Colts).

Jake Scott, 6'5" 295 lbs. Drafted in the 5th round of the 04 draft, by Indy, out of Idaho.

Started 9 games as a rookie, and followed that up by starting 16 games in 05, 06 and 07 (15 at RG and 1 at RT (against Atlanta on 11/22)).

beerlover
03-05-2008, 08:18 PM
maybe this means Weary is not going to be re-signed.

aj.
03-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Not just Scott but Boss Bailey too, according to the source article.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/mar/05/broncos-trying-land-bailey-mccree/

Errant Hothy
03-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Not just Scott but Boss Bailey too, according to that article.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/mar/05/broncos-trying-land-bailey-mccree/

These, Scott and Bailey, are the type of signings that could really help this team and allow them to not worry about adressing certain positions in the Draft.

Rick Smith may be the most meanignful addition to the franchise, ever.

aj.
03-05-2008, 08:24 PM
The key to free agency is not to run around like the sky is falling and sign everything that moves for 80 billion just to make a statement ala Oakland and NYJ. There's a lot of gold to be mined in the second and third wave players. There's certainly more value. The story of the old bull and the young bull applies in this case.

Errant Hothy
03-05-2008, 08:26 PM
The key to free agency is not to run around like the sky is falling and sign everything that moves for 80 billion just to make waves ala Oakland and NYJ. There's a lot of gold to be mined in the second and third wave players. There's certainly more value. The story of the old bull and the young bull applies in this case.

QFT!

aj.
03-05-2008, 08:28 PM
The Texans haven't signed either of those guys yet..... but I'm happy that they're looking in that direction.

Errant Hothy
03-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Keep in mind the Texans haven't signed either of those guys yet..... but I'm happy that they're looking in that general direction.

Trust me I understand that this process is far from over, but the news of who they are looking at, and the refusel to meet Hadnot's ridiculous demands ; makes me wuite happy with how the FA period could end.

Not that I am unhappy with what has happened so far.

kiwitexansfan
03-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Rick Smith is a genius. Hope he and Kubiack get a good long crack at this. A Cowher-esque tenure, except with more titles of course.

Stability is a very good thing.

Oh and Scott and Bailey get my vote too!

ArlingtonTexan
03-05-2008, 09:13 PM
The Texans haven't signed either of those guys yet..... but I'm happy that they're looking in that direction.

I tend to think that Boss Bailey is a better, familiar name than he is a player, but he is highly athletic. BTW, we should note that every LB the Texans have shown interest is more of the athletic, quick type.

Scott smells like a ZBS guy and while not as talked about as Gibbs' system the Colts run a ton of zone principle in their offense.

Overalls
03-05-2008, 09:24 PM
Rick Smith is a genius. Hope he and Kubiack get a good long crack at this. A Cowher-esque tenure, except with more titles of course.
Stability is a very good thing.

Oh and Scott and Bailey get my vote too!

I have been a fan of Houston pro football for over 40 years. Do you know how happy one Superbowl win in the next 10 years would make me?

:fans:

edo783
03-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Both sound/look like the kind of guys we should be looking at. Get it done Rick.

CloakNNNdagger
03-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Not just Scott but Boss Bailey too, according to the source article.

I really enjoyed watching Bailey in college. But he's been plagued by knee injuries which have slowed him down quite a bit.........possibly why the Lions
are allowing him to walk (no play on words were intended).

I'd be excited to get Scott...........pass on Bailey.

Texans Pride
03-05-2008, 10:49 PM
I'd take any of the starters from the Colts offensive line. . . Payton rarely gets hit and that has just as much to do with his line as it does his pocket awareness....

GET THIS DONE!

TheRealJoker
03-05-2008, 11:25 PM
It would be excellent to take a starting OL from the best team in the division.

bah007
03-05-2008, 11:29 PM
IMO, Boss Bailey has always been overrated because of his athleticism.

It also doesn't hurt when you can write on your resume, "My older brother is this dude named Champ Bailey. He's alright I guess."

Goldensilence
03-06-2008, 12:57 AM
IMO, Boss Bailey has always been overrated because of his athleticism.

It also doesn't hurt when you can write on your resume, "My older brother is this dude named Champ Bailey." He's alright I guess."

I might fake being hurt if i was on the lions.

IMO I think he'd like the grass at reliant as opposed to the turf at Ford Field.

Would love to poach Scott from the colts.

El Tejano
03-06-2008, 08:44 AM
If there is anybody you throw money at it would be Scott. Appearantly he was good enough to start for a very good team for the past 3 years so he could be an upgrade over here. Also, the fact you are taking from a division rival makes it a nice thing too.

eriadoc
03-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Which guard do we have on the roster that you would just have to start over Jake Scott? Pitts? Maybe?

It all depends on money, of course (no more Cass contracts, yay!), but if we could snag Scott, that'd be nice.

HoustonFrog
03-06-2008, 11:31 AM
They were taklking about this this morning. You get a guy who can replace Weary, depending on where he is at and you take him from a division rival. On top of that, he is young.

badboy
03-06-2008, 11:42 AM
I have been a fan of Houston pro football for over 40 years. Do you know how happy one Superbowl win in the next 10 years would make me?

:fans:Take the exuberance of the two NBA championship of Rockets, the World Series visit by Astros, the championships of the Dynamo and Comets and multiply by at least ten. That happy?

Texans Pride
03-06-2008, 11:47 AM
Has anything been mentioned of a visit or lines of communication? At this point, are we interested or are we doing anything about it?

Texans Pride
03-06-2008, 01:20 PM
As Clay Walker says, "I guess the silience speaks for its self."

Vinny
03-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Has anything been mentioned of a visit or lines of communication? At this point, are we interested or are we doing anything about it?perhaps all the vets are afraid to come play for Gibbs because he is so demanding...so you just about have to go with da childrens?

CloakNNNdagger
03-07-2008, 07:10 AM
No mention of ANY additional visits (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5599943.html) on the books at this time for any FA's

I can't remember exactly where I read it, but I believe Scott is scheduled soon to meet with the Tacks........definitely NOT a team I'd want to see him on next season.

badboy
03-07-2008, 08:54 AM
most recent info on FA
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5599943.html

mussop
03-07-2008, 09:07 AM
No mention of ANY additional visits (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5599943.html) on the books at this time for any FA's

I can't remember exactly where I read it, but I believe Scott is scheduled soon to meet with the Tacks........definitely NOT a team I'd want to see him on next season.

Tacks?

Texans Pride
03-07-2008, 09:17 AM
Tacks?

Tennessee Titans are who is his referring to.

Well I think our "interest" we have in Scott is nothing more than my interest in a Mercedes Benz. I'd really like to have one, but there's no need for me to go test drive one off the lot.

TexanFan881
03-07-2008, 09:35 AM
Scott met with the Tacks but has already left I'm pretty sure.

One player who visited Wednesday almost certainly will not be a Titan. According to a league source, Scott and the Titans are too far apart monetarily to be able to strike any sort of deal. The player is already scheduling other visits.

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/news.php?viewStory=59041

El Tejano
03-07-2008, 10:11 AM
How much does this guy want. I don't think we will be signing him because there is more talk about how we offered money to Wade, Crocker and Smith.

b0ng
03-07-2008, 11:10 AM
How much does this guy want. I don't think we will be signing him because there is more talk about how we offered money to Wade, Crocker and Smith.

I agree with this. I think that the Texans were interested because of his experience and who he plays for, but that's it. I think once it came down to money, he probably wanted far more than what Rick Smith was going to give.

I don't mind if we miss out on him. He's good, I'll give him his credit there, but I think that the Texans aren't going to break the cap for "good" (Although they have done it before for "horrible" so who knows).

Lucky
03-07-2008, 11:16 AM
How much does this guy want.
Who knows for sure, but former Titan Guard Jacob Bell received a 6 year, $36 million deal with $13 mil guaranteed from the Rams. It's likely that Guards like Scott & Hadnot are looking for similar numbers. And it doesn't appear the Texans want to spend that type of money, this offseason.

Vinny
03-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Who knows for sure, but former Titan Guard Jacob Bell received a 6 year, $36 million deal with $13 mil guaranteed from the Rams. It's likely that Guards like Scott & Hadnot are looking for similar numbers. And it doesn't appear the Texans want to spend that type of money, this offseason.I'd say we likely pass since it looks like OG's salaries are being pushed up this off-season...no sense in hiring Gibbs if you are just going to pursue over paid linemen. That's almost counterintuitive to hiring Gibbs in the first place.

CloakNNNdagger
03-07-2008, 01:06 PM
I'd say we likely pass since it looks like OG's salaries are being pushed up this off-season...no sense in hiring Gibbs if you are just going to pursue over paid linemen. That's almost counterintuitive to hiring Gibbs in the first place.

Good point, especially when there is decent raw talent available without breaking the bank.

Errant Hothy
03-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Who knows for sure, but former Titan Guard Jacob Bell received a 6 year, $36 million deal with $13 mil guaranteed from the Rams. It's likely that Guards like Scott & Hadnot are looking for similar numbers. And it doesn't appear the Texans want to spend that type of money, this offseason.

Hadnot may want a contract similar to Bell, but as of yet nobody has given it to him. Guys like Hadnot and Scott may have to wind up taking less or sign 1 year deals.

What a player wants in FA he is not quarenteed to get.

DiehardChris
03-07-2008, 01:23 PM
I have to admit - I really, really want Jake Scott assuming he fits the description that Alex Gibbs wants for his system. He's only 26, and coming from a great organization, and he's a proven winner. I wouldn't mind if we overpaid a bit for him, since we'd also be weakening a division opponent. I think this would be our best off-season move yet.

El Tejano
03-07-2008, 02:19 PM
I have to admit - I really, really want Jake Scott assuming he fits the description that Alex Gibbs wants for his system. He's only 26, and coming from a great organization, and he's a proven winner. I wouldn't mind if we overpaid a bit for him, since we'd also be weakening a division opponent. I think this would be our best off-season move yet.
I agree with this.

RipTraxx
03-07-2008, 03:09 PM
This deal needs to get done. Especially since Weary's gone. Isnt he?

DiehardChris
03-07-2008, 03:16 PM
This deal needs to get done. Especially since Weary's gone. Isnt he?

He's an unsigned, unrestricted free agent, as far as I know.

I think I've read on Lance Z's blog that Weary isn't a good fit for the ZBS, so he probably will be gone when all is said and done.

TexansSeminole
03-07-2008, 03:25 PM
Anybody think Studdard has a chance to start a few games this year?

Rex King
03-07-2008, 03:54 PM
Anybody think Studdard has a chance to start a few games this year?

Maybe, but Brisiel jumped ahead of him and looked pretty good in the last two games, when we went to a lot more zone blocking.

Just wondering, how good is the Indy line really? I know Manning seldom gets sacked, but he gets rid of the ball so quickly. It's not like the Pats, where Brady has all day to throw.

DiehardChris
03-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Sacks allowed, 2007:

5. Patriots 21
6. (T) Colts 22
6. (T) Texans 22

Obviously stats can be misleading, but I think that's pretty darned impressive.

Rex King
03-07-2008, 04:18 PM
It is. Both o-line and QB play improved. But Sage and Schaub still felt a lot of pressure.

To expound, I know Indy had success against us running up the middle, but they also struggled there at times against other teams. And the Manning effect is like the anti-Carr effect. Like Gibbs making average linemen look good, I'm just wondering, how much is Manning and their system and how much is Scott and the rest of their linemen? I guess we may not know until Sorgi takes the reins.:)

Ole Miss Texan
03-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Obviously Peyton doesn't have near as much success if he is behind a different OL (worse). Additionally he has some very good WR's to throw to, and has had a solid RB he could count on (Edge then Addai).

But Peyton is just an incredible QB and Football player. He understands the game like nobody else does. His knowledge is beyond that of any player in the league. On top of that he has the skill set and vision to make the throws.

The vast majority of those 'lack of sacks' needs to be accredited to Peyton. When he get back in his drop, he's ready to throw the ball to Player x, y, or z and if it's not there he is good at throwing it away or avoiding the pressure to buy some more time. Also, he has the accuracy to push some throws into spots where only his wr has the chance to get it.

I think the Colts got a bargain with him dropping all the way to the #1 pick. He value to a team would warrant a selection before the #1.

[/End Peytonmanlove]

DocBar
03-07-2008, 09:46 PM
I wouldn't mind getting another OG in the fold if the price is reasonable. I would like to see Pitts get another shot at LT. He's been OK as an OG, but he really looked like he enjoyed playing LT and, IMO, looked pretty solid there. Just bad luck he had to try to keep the former QB ( I don't even want to type his name) upright. If it didn't work out in OTA's or early in TC, no harm done and not too many reps taken from the starters.

ObsiWan
03-07-2008, 11:21 PM
Sacks allowed, 2007:

5. Patriots 21
6. (T) Colts 22
6. (T) Texans 22

Obviously stats can be misleading, but I think that's pretty darned impressive.

They must be doing something right.

And as much as some folks wanted us to chase after Faneca, the Steelers gave up over 90 sacks during the last two seasons; 47 in 2007 and 49 in 2006.

obviously, stats can be misleading...
:)

rickyb
03-08-2008, 08:52 AM
Rick Smith may be the most meanignful addition to the franchise, ever.

holla

rickyb
03-08-2008, 09:01 AM
I agree with this. I think that the Texans were interested because of his experience and who he plays for, but that's it. I think once it came down to money, he probably wanted far more than what Rick Smith was going to give.

I don't mind if we miss out on him. He's good, I'll give him his credit there, but I think that the Texans aren't going to break the cap for "good" (Although they have done it before for "horrible" so who knows).

Personally, I don't understand at least some of the player mentality regarding cash. At some point, diminishing marginal returns kicks in. In Plain English, $4M a year, or $6M a year -- you are still using $100 bills to light your contraband cuban stogies.

For me, there is value in joining an organization that is a comer, to be part of a team on the rise, so that when the ride is over, you can look back with satisfaction upon your accomplishments. I'm sure there will be many who disagree with my next statement, but anything short of that would just seem...hollow somehow.

Now, let me have it. "I wonder how Jim Kelly feels about all those rings that Vinatieri has? Are those hollow?" etc etc. Read my thoughts again, and ponder. I'm not saying you have to agree. Just give it some thought.

all the best,
rick

ArlingtonTexan
03-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Personally, I don't understand at least some of the player mentality regarding cash. At some point, diminishing marginal returns kicks in. In Plain English, $4M a year, or $6M a year -- you are still using $100 bills to light your contraband cuban stogies.

For me, there is value in joining an organization that is a comer, to be part of a team on the rise, so that when the ride is over, you can look back with satisfaction upon your accomplishments. I'm sure there will be many who disagree with my next statement, but anything short of that would just seem...hollow somehow.

Now, let me have it. "I wonder how Jim Kelly feels about all those rings that Vinatieri has? Are those hollow?" etc etc. Read my thoughts again, and ponder. I'm not saying you have to agree. Just give it some thought.

all the best,
rick

The players who were mid to late round draft choices or not drafted at all have not made crazy money. For many these guys this is the only big cash bonus that they will get. Those few million dollar differences are huge for guys like who are trying to set-up the rest of thier life financially. From the outside an individual player may look greedy, but I don't fault a player for trying to make what he can especially when he may not view the opportunity in Houston significantly different than playing for the other 31 teams.

Specnatz
03-08-2008, 12:44 PM
I can see both sides of it. When you have certain players who have not had that big payday, it is very easy to go after it when you can so you are set for life after football because it could be at any time.

Now the ones who are set and continue to go after just the money even after saying I would love to play for my home town team blah blah blah ..... I do not think it happens as much in football as it does in other sports especially baseball.

Xetuoh1836
03-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Looks like Scott is signing with the Flaming Meatballs:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080310/SPORTS01/803100376/1002/SPORTS

Errant Hothy
03-10-2008, 09:04 AM
Looks like Scott is signing with the Flaming Meatballs:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080310/SPORTS01/803100376/1002/SPORTS

From the above link:

Scott's deal will average just less than $5 million per year.

Hadnot is more then likely going to get near his desire of 5 million a year.

Texans_Chick
03-10-2008, 09:15 AM
A win-win for the Texans.

Colts don't get the continuity that is Scott staying with their team.
Titans overpay for a guard.

Titans Sign Ex-Colt Jake Scott (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/03/10/titans-sign-ex-colt-jake-scott/)

Scott has reportedly agreed to a four-year contract that pays about $5 million a year, which, in my view, is more money than he's worth. Yes, Scott has started the last 55 games for the Colts, but he's mostly just a serviceable player, not a dominant blocker, and for $5 million a year I want more than juts a serviceable guard.

BigBull17
03-10-2008, 10:19 AM

Titans Sign Ex-Colt Jake Scott (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/03/10/titans-sign-ex-colt-jake-scott/)

Yeah, Im ok with it. If you watch the Colts this year, Peyton got hit more than usual. Not by us, but other people hit him. I think its another thing like Patriots, Ravens and Eagles, they look good in their system, but bad anywhere else. I ddont recall many COlts going to other teams and looking good.

nunusguy
03-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Yeah, Im ok with it. If you watch the Colts this year, Peyton got hit more than usual. Not by us, but other people hit him.

The Colts long-time LT retired last year and they played a rookie at that position most of the year and still had another very good season, so I doubt
that they are sweating losing a guard that much ? Actually I think they've had
quite a bit of turnover of interior OLineman in recent years ?

Vinny
03-10-2008, 11:42 AM

Titans Sign Ex-Colt Jake Scott (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/03/10/titans-sign-ex-colt-jake-scott/)They had a ton of money to spend and they didn't have to overpay a lesser talented Guard (their last starter who they lost in FA) and don't have to roll out a rookie Guard so I'm not so sure it's a "win - win".

ChampionTexan
03-10-2008, 11:48 AM
They had a ton of money to spend and they didn't have to overpay a lesser talented Guard (their last starter who they lost in FA) and don't have to roll out a rookie Guard so I'm not so sure it's a "win - win".

Actually, I'm not sure there's that much difference in talent between Bell and Scott - most ratings I've seen have them pretty close, plus they're almost exactly the same age. Bottom-line is it looks like the Titans pretty much break-even on the O-line (maybe a little better, maybe a little worse, but not a significant change in either direction compared to last years line).

The down-side from a Texans fans standpoint is that what was a pretty decent line last year should still be a pretty decent line next year.

Ole Miss Texan
03-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Guards don't help much when your QB doesn't stay in the pocket. :)

Vinny
03-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Actually, I'm not sure there's that much difference in talent between Bell and Scott - most ratings I've seen have them pretty close, plus they're almost exactly the same age. Bottom-line is it looks like the Titans pretty much break-even on the O-line (maybe a little better, maybe a little worse, but not a significant change in either direction compared to last years line).

The down-side from a Texans fans standpoint is that what was a pretty decent line last year should still be a pretty decent line next year.
You are far higher on Bell than I am. I didn't think he was worth anything close to 6 mil a year.

Texans_Chick
03-10-2008, 12:03 PM
They had a ton of money to spend and they didn't have to overpay a lesser talented Guard (their last starter who they lost in FA) and don't have to roll out a rookie Guard so I'm not so sure it's a "win - win".

Okay, at a minimum it got him away from the Colts.

But traditionally, it has been difficult to evaluate offensive linemen who play with the Colts because Manning can hide a lot of faults.

I'm glad the Texans didn't spend $5 m for Scott, so how about that as a part of the win? :cool:

beerlover
03-10-2008, 12:15 PM

But traditionally, it has been difficult to evaluate offensive linemen who play with the Colts because Manning can hide a lot of faults.

I'm glad the Texans didn't spend $5 m for Scott, so how about that as a part of the win? :cool:

its not a win unless talent is extracted from AFC South counterparts :cool:

5 mil is 5 mil doesn't get you what it used to does it......

Vinny
03-10-2008, 12:39 PM

yeah, I have mixed emotions about our interior line this season since Gibbs is coming on. We don't have the cap room that the Titans had and I think Gibbs can coach up our players while we shore up some other holes so I'll buy that. :heart:

Bulluck53
03-10-2008, 09:30 PM
I love the signing and from reading this thread you guys would have too. No reason for some of you to change your tune just because we signed the guy.

Scott will improve his run-blocking under Munchak and I like what we paid for him. We got the best guard on the market for less than $5 mil a year. I'll take that most any day

Blazing Arrow
03-10-2008, 09:44 PM
I like the signing too. He also comes in $1 less then the guy we let get away. :cool:

Specnatz
03-10-2008, 10:20 PM
I love the signing and from reading this thread you guys would have too. No reason for some of you to change your tune just because we signed the guy.

Scott will improve his run-blocking under Munchak and I like what we paid for him. We got the best guard on the market for less than $5 mil a year. I'll take that most any day

No one is changing their opion of Scott. Does any Titans fan know how to read and comprehend? Would we have liked to sign scott, Yes. But that contract is a bit steep for what he brings to the table. This year because of a few teams players are being over paid by a large margin, with those teams not having cap space next season will the contracts reflux and go back to being in line with what they should be? Probably not but it can, it has before.

Maddict5
03-11-2008, 06:57 AM
Jake Scott's four-year deal with the Titans is worth $19.5 million, including a $4 million signing bonus and $6 million in total guarantees.

not exactly an excessive contract (in garunteed money)

Overalls
03-11-2008, 07:35 AM
Not a bad signing by the ICOU. They have plenty of cap room and he replaces a player they lost. He may be an upgrade over Bell. I don't know. The Colts fans are saying he is a product of Peytons quarterbacking style but that could just be sour grapes over losing him. This is the ICOUs best move so far this offseason IMO.

:fans: