PDA

View Full Version : Kearse signs with Titans

stiff
03-04-2008, 08:09 PM
PFT is reporting that Kearse may be headed back to Tenn. If he doesnt sign a contract with them he will head to Minn on Thursday.

FREAK RETURNING TO TITANS? by Michael David Smith

Free agent defensive end Jevon Kearse may be looking to return to the place where his NFL career began.

http://http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Bulluck53
03-04-2008, 08:38 PM
ugh...

Goldensilence
03-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Odom is gone. He had his best Success with The Titans. Question is at what price is he willing to settle for his royal cheapness?

If he goes to Minnesota the NFC North could get very interesting.

Dallas_Texan
03-05-2008, 09:07 AM
Odom is gone. He had his best Success with The Titans. Question is at what price is he willing to settle for his royal cheapness?

If he goes to Minnesota the NFC North could get very interesting.

The Titans have a TON of cap room....they'll get him.

Texan_Bill
03-05-2008, 09:40 AM
'The Freak' hasn't made it through a full season without injury since 2001

http://home.allgaeu.org/hrausch/script/Clipart/Misc/CRUTCHES.JPG

http://www.mckinley.uiuc.edu/handouts/crutches/crutches1.jpg

Blazing Arrow
03-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Kearse is better then LaBoy. If he is used mainly against the pass he will be a solid pickup and the limited time might actually get him through a season.

Texan_Bill
03-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Yeah, those 3 1/2 sacks really helped Philadelphia... :rolleyes:

I can understand what you and Bullock talked about yesterday with respect to LaBoy..... but getting rid of a 26 year old that had 6 sacks v. trying to bring in a 31 year old, with health issues that only contributed 3 1/2 sacks - as a 'pass rusher'???? Good luck with all of that...

The1ApplePie
03-05-2008, 10:24 AM
What's the deal with old FA comming back to the team that drafted them this year?

Blazing Arrow
03-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Yeah, those 3 1/2 sacks really helped Philadelphia... :rolleyes:

I can understand what you and Bullock talked about yesterday with respect to LaBoy..... but getting rid of a 26 year old that had 6 sacks v. trying to bring in a 31 year old, with health issues that only contributed 3 1/2 sacks - as a 'pass rusher'???? Good luck with all of that...

How was our pass rush last season? :thinking:

If Kearse is on this team next season he will get more sacks then LaBoy in AZ.

Texan_Bill
03-05-2008, 11:46 AM
How was our pass rush last season? :thinking:

If Kearse is on this team next season he will get more sacks then LaBoy in AZ.

Apparently pretty good. You had two pro-bowlers....

I'm not so sure about that.. LaBoy will probably start more than 8 games.

:sarcasm:

Bulluck53
03-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Odom has been plagued by injuries his whole career and failed to produce until last season. There were talks of cutting him in training camp and he might have been if it werent for a lack of depth.

Second Honeymoon
03-05-2008, 01:00 PM
The Titans are going through the clearance rack for the second straight season it looks like. I guess cap space aint worth squat unless you use it.

losing your DEs and dipping into FA to address an existing team strength (TE) just seems like flawed logic. then you start losing DBs and it just gets worse. The Titans front office has been pathetic since Reese got fired/quit. I don't hate on the Titans but its just a fact that the new GM has been struggling. Luckily for the Titans, they have Fisher as HC and I consider him the best HC in the NFL. He is worth 3-4 wins alone in how he gets his team prepared and motivated even when undermanned. Fisher is just that good.

Bulluck53
03-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Have to disagree with you. You say "for the second straight season" we have gone bargain shopping, thats true, but our season improved from '06 to '07. No denying that. Reese had some terrible offseasons, mostly centered around the draft. Reinfeldt knows what he's doing.

Specnatz
03-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Have to disagree with you. You say "for the second straight season" we have gone bargain shopping, thats true, but our season improved from '06 to '07. No denying that. Reese had some terrible offseasons, mostly centered around the draft. Reinfeldt knows what he's doing.

Yes he is not signing anyone. Not sure if he wants to piss off Albert we all know what happens when he gets pissed.

HOU-TEX
03-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Yes he is not signing anyone. Not sure if he wants to piss off Albert we all know what happens when he gets pissed.

In other words, Reinfeldt better be wearing a securely fastened helmet at all times around the facility. :whip:

El Tejano
03-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Don't know alot about the Titans but noticed you said your team improved from 06-07. I know you made the playoffs but I don't think it was because your team improved per say. I feel you won some games that should not have been won, and two of those were against us. I think your record improved and in the end that is all that matters but I don't feel anything has been done for your team to improve from 07-08. Of course the offseason is still young. But as an example most around here don't feel we really made any improvement because we got to 8-8 by beating a Jville team that wasn't playing for anything.

Texan_Bill
03-05-2008, 02:05 PM

Wasn't Reinfeldt named GM last February??? That means last offseason was his baby too, right??

infantrycak
03-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Don't know alot about the Titans but noticed you said your team improved from 06-07. I know you made the playoffs but I don't think it was because your team improved per say.

To be fair, the Titans D played much better--32nd in the league to 5th.

Bulluck53
03-05-2008, 09:32 PM
Wasn't Reinfeldt named GM last February??? That means last offseason was his baby too, right??

Yep... and our team improved.

Bulluck53
03-05-2008, 09:34 PM
To be fair, the Titans D played much better--32nd in the league to 5th.

Amazing how much two guys can help (Griffin and Harper both brought in by Reinfeldt)

infantrycak
03-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Amazing how much two guys can help (Griffin and Harper both brought in by Reinfeldt)

Well, I don't think you can really argue Harper was an upgrade on Pacman. Griffin played well. Haynesworth playing contract year out of his mind was a huge benefit.

TEXANS84
03-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Kearse officially back with the Titans.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080306/SPORTS01/80306046/1027

Lucky
03-06-2008, 02:51 PM

I sure hope he's as done as he looked in Philly.

TexansLucky13
03-06-2008, 02:52 PM
He will have as much impact as Moulds did...

TEXANS84
03-06-2008, 02:54 PM
I sure hope he's as done as he looked in Philly.

I agree. But for some reason DE's always look good in Titans defenive schemes.

Insideop
03-06-2008, 03:00 PM

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080306/SPORTS01/80306046/1027

Well, that ought to make Haynesworth, aka "Fat Albert," happy! LOL!

toronto
03-06-2008, 03:08 PM
The Titans are going through the clearance rack for the second straight season it looks like. I guess cap space aint worth squat unless you use it.

losing your DEs and dipping into FA to address an existing team strength (TE) just seems like flawed logic. then you start losing DBs and it just gets worse. The Titans front office has been pathetic since Reese got fired/quit. I don't hate on the Titans but its just a fact that the new GM has been struggling. Luckily for the Titans, they have Fisher as HC and I consider him the best HC in the NFL. He is worth 3-4 wins alone in how he gets his team prepared and motivated even when undermanned. Fisher is just that good.

Calling TE a strength for us last year is a mistake. We stunk there. Crumpler is a massive upgrade if healthy.

And for record, the Titans have not been idle at all in UFA the last 3 seasons. Chris Hope, David Givens, David Thornton, Kevin Mawae, Derek Harper? That's not inactive. We're just not stupidly tossing out nutty contracts to the Berrians and Javon Walkers. And I also believe Laboy, Starks and Odom got a ton more than they deserved - for those contracts their new employers can have fun. The main two pieces that make the d-line go are still here, and they can make almost anyone look half decent.

Texan_Bill
03-06-2008, 03:10 PM
I know where you could pick up a WR/KR fairly cheap... :whip:

Blazing Arrow
03-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Kearse is still better then LaBoy .... :specnatz:

HOU-TEX
03-06-2008, 03:32 PM

Yep, he surely showed it this past season. :rolleyes:

Second Honeymoon
03-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Calling TE a strength for us last year is a mistake. We stunk there. Crumpler is a massive upgrade if healthy.

And for record, the Titans have not been idle at all in UFA the last 3 seasons. Chris Hope, David Givens, David Thornton, Kevin Mawae, Derek Harper? That's not inactive. We're just not stupidly tossing out nutty contracts to the Berrians and Javon Walkers. And I also believe Laboy, Starks and Odom got a ton more than they deserved - for those contracts their new employers can have fun. The main two pieces that make the d-line go are still here, and they can make almost anyone look half decent.

Crumpler is not a massive upgrade. Crumpler is a 2nd Tier TE and you already had 2 guys that are almost as good and dont cost nearly as much.

As for your other FA activity, you have Mawae and Thornton has been decent. All the while you are tens of millions under the cap every year, yet you can't even resign your own players. What use is cap space if you don't use it? Oh i know, its used for PROFIT. You can thank Bud for that.

Kearse is a decent signing since I doubt its high in guaranteed money. As long as that is the case, then its a positive move...but does it really help you get better if you already lost 2 DEs? Big Al is right and to not realize what Bud is doing is just pie-in-the-sky thinking.

Just thank the stars you have Fisher because he qualified for HOF status by leading last years Titans roster to the playoffs. Masterful job.

Second Honeymoon
03-06-2008, 03:36 PM
I know where you could pick up a WR/KR fairly cheap... :whip:

not following ya...

HOU-TEX
03-06-2008, 03:37 PM
not following ya...

Mathis :specnatz:

Texan_Bill
03-06-2008, 03:37 PM
not following ya...

Refer to some comments about wide receivers... Well Jerome Mathis is a KR/WR and out of the kindness of my heart, I am offering him up on the cheap..

Second Honeymoon
03-06-2008, 03:47 PM
Refer to some comments about wide receivers... Well Jerome Mathis is a KR/WR and out of the kindness of my heart, I am offering him up on the cheap..

ahha...now I get it. I guess I never really considered Mathis much of a WR so it never clicked with me.

Specnatz
03-06-2008, 03:47 PM

Damn skippy he is, I mean the 16 total tackles over the last two years is way better.

Texan_Bill
03-06-2008, 03:53 PM
ahha...now I get it. I guess I never really considered Mathis much of a WR so it never clicked with me.

Shhhhhh...

He's a receiver, alright.

Jerome Mathis | #13 | WR

Houston Texans | Official Team Site

Height: 5-11 Weight: 184 Age: 24

Born: 7/26/1983 Petersburg , VA

College: Hampton

Experience: 3rd season

High School: Petersburg HS [VA]

toronto
03-06-2008, 04:08 PM
Crumpler is not a massive upgrade. Crumpler is a 2nd Tier TE and you already had 2 guys that are almost as good and dont cost nearly as much.

As for your other FA activity, you have Mawae and Thornton has been decent. All the while you are tens of millions under the cap every year, yet you can't even resign your own players. What use is cap space if you don't use it? Oh i know, its used for PROFIT. You can thank Bud for that.

Kearse is a decent signing since I doubt its high in guaranteed money. As long as that is the case, then its a positive move...but does it really help you get better if you already lost 2 DEs? Big Al is right and to not realize what Bud is doing is just pie-in-the-sky thinking.

Just thank the stars you have Fisher because he qualified for HOF status by leading last years Titans roster to the playoffs. Masterful job.

As an old Oiler fan I never need reminders about Bud. I'm on par with you guys there. Hell, halfof my fantasy teams are always an insult at his toupee or something to that extent.

I watched the team have to gut itself due to the cap a few years ago and watching the silly money get handed out in the first week, I refuse to get hysterical. I'm convinced the reason(s) the club didn't re-up those DEs are partially due to the massive amounts of dough that will be required to keep Stewart and Roos, as well as knowing they are still going to sign at leat one G plus a WR.

And I refuse to believe that signing a player like Berrian or Walker to 16-20M signing bonuses, as well as guys that could never bring it every down like Odom and LaBoy to significant deals, is fine with me.

What bugs me? When then screw up a 2nd round draft pick last year on a stiff like Henry. That's when I get riled up.

Vinny
03-06-2008, 04:10 PM

Crumpler is ten times the player of those other two jokesters. I do agree they don't cost much...but there is a reason for that.

HOU-TEX
03-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Shhhhhh...

He's a receiver, alright.

If the asshat wouldn't have been...well, an asshat, he could've become a decent WR. He chose the road of asshatness which made him make asshatty decisions, which turned his dogs into canine asshats. He then turned his asshating ways towards his girlfriend, which is truly the plateau of asshat nation.

Jerome Mathis = King of the Asshats :thisbig:

Specnatz
03-06-2008, 04:16 PM

Qubert must be his queen. :thinking:

TEXANRED
03-06-2008, 04:24 PM

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahaha

Blazing Arrow
03-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Damn skippy he is, I mean the 16 total tackles over the last two years is way better.

I wonder if your FO looks at stats as much as the people on this board to judge talent.

It would explain allot.

Oh and getting a new OC was not a good move Bill? Seems in line with what you were saying the Texans did accept we also upgraded our TE and #2 DE. And we still have a good amount of money under the cap.

DBCooper
03-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Oh and getting a new OC was not a good move Bill? Seems in line with what you were saying the Texans did accept we also upgraded our TE and #2 DE. And we still have a good amount of money under the cap.

Cut Vince and that would free up even more space.

It's going to happen soon enough anyway.

TEXANRED
03-06-2008, 05:09 PM
I wonder if your FO looks at stats as much as the people on this board to judge talent.

It would explain allot.

I would say that Crumpler is an upgrade. You finally have a guy who can catch poorly thrown off target footballs. VY couldn't hit the ocean if he was standing at the end of a pier.

You down graded at DE. Hell, Weaver is better than Kearse. You can never go home again, just ask Hugh Douglas.

Oh and one more thing

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahah ahahahahahaha

Texan_Bill
03-06-2008, 05:11 PM
If the asshat wouldn't have been...well, an asshat, he could've become a decent WR. He chose the road of asshatness which made him make asshatty decisions, which turned his dogs into canine asshats. He then turned his asshating ways towards his girlfriend, which is truly the plateau of asshat nation.

Qubert must be his queen. :thinking:

What's Fat Albert? The mistress??? :hmmm:

Blazing Arrow
03-06-2008, 05:44 PM
What's Fat Albert? The mistress??? :hmmm:

Not sure about that but I would call Shammy is Haynworth's prison b*tch .... :whip:

Texan_Bill
03-06-2008, 05:47 PM
Not sure about that but I would call Shammy Haynworth's prison b*tch .... :whip:

Now I have it... Fat Albert stomps on some dude's mellon and drives another one into the turf - because he has pent up homosexual tendancies and frustrations??

I guess.......

Blazing Arrow
03-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Now I have it... Fat Albert stomps on some dude's mellon and drives another one into the turf - because he has pent up homosexual tendancies and frustrations??

I guess.......

Now you are just projecting your feeling on others ...

Texan_Bill
03-06-2008, 06:04 PM
Now you are just projecting your feeling on others ...

I have NO thoughts, feelings, projections or otherwise to make another man 'my b*tch' -OR- in any activity that could be construed as such behavior!!

Your exact words: Shammy is Haynworth's prison b*tch

Fat Albert is acting out about something, and I think you shed some light on. Being from the Bay area, I guess you would have more insight to that sort of stuff and behavior.... Not that there's anything wrong with it - of course...

drewmar74
03-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Not sure about that but I would call Shammy is Haynworth's prison b*tch .... :whip:

FWIW, "Shammy" has to be about lamest "supposed to be insulting nickname" for a professional athlete in this decade.

You could have taken a lot of different angles:

"Glass Joe" - 80's arcade game reference
"Old Blindsides" - early American naval history reference
"Flat Matt" - child-like rhyming angle that ought to work well for a Titans fan
"Iron Man" - Marvel comic reference dripping with sarcasm because of how many games he missed last year.

But Shammy? C'mon, man. I really expect more out of you.

TEXANRED
03-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Haynesworth is is Pacman's prison *****. That was proven last year.

Blazing Arrow
03-07-2008, 12:27 AM
FWIW, "Shammy" has to be about lamest "supposed to be insulting nickname" for a professional athlete in this decade.

"Iron Man" - Marvel comic reference dripping with sarcasm because of how many games he missed last year.

Shammy followed Carr ... In the "Carr wash of '07" ... shammy/carr first the Carr is on the turf now Shammy is on the turf ... the guy is a like a paper cup when he gets hit. Just saying.

Texan_Bill
03-07-2008, 09:12 AM

Don't!!!

He calls us 'Moos' and he calls Schaub 'Shammy'. Just go with it. There's a short bus involved if ya know what I mean.

Texan_Bill
03-07-2008, 09:17 AM
Shammy followed Carr ... In the "Carr wash of '07" ... shammy/carr first the Carr is on the turf now Shammy is on the turf ... the guy is a like a paper cup when he gets hit. Just saying.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Drewmar, see what I was saying about that short bus??

Overalls
03-07-2008, 11:50 AM

Do you want to see him fumble around again. Point out that Vick Jr. was sacked more than our QBs were.

:fans:

Blazing Arrow
03-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Do you want to see him fumble around again. Point out that Vick Jr. was sacked more than our QBs were.

:fans:

But out QB can take a hit ... yours takes it like a paper towel wall ...He is like McNair without the MVP and the many years of sucess.

Blazing Arrow
03-07-2008, 12:14 PM

I understand the humor was over your level of intellect ... it did take something to completely understand ...

Specnatz
03-07-2008, 12:22 PM
But out QB can take a hit ... yours takes it like a paper towel wall ...He is like McNair without the MVP and the many years of sucess.

Or the ability to actually throw the football.

Texan_Bill
03-07-2008, 12:24 PM

What QB??? That running back that wears #10???

drewmar74
03-07-2008, 01:21 PM

That's a long way to go to get to a really lame nickname.

Just saying.

Overalls
03-07-2008, 03:44 PM

So you are saying he is like an unsucessful McNair?

Man with that kind of praise I wonder how long it will be till he is locked out of the training facility like McNair was.

Blazing Arrow
03-07-2008, 04:11 PM
So you are saying he is like an unsucessful McNair?

Man with that kind of praise I wonder how long it will be till he is locked out of the training facility like McNair was.

He is better then Carr so I am guessing 5 more seasons .... you?

Honoring Earl 34
03-07-2008, 04:17 PM

Your QB is trying to play at TU again .

Bulluck53
03-07-2008, 07:36 PM
A thread about Jevon Kearse turns into the never-ending pissing match regarding Vince Young on this board? No way..... I don't believe it.

Seriously Texans fans have one argument, Titans fans another, and neither ever change. It goes in circles and will never end.

DBCooper
03-07-2008, 07:37 PM

Unfortunately, Fisher is smarter than that other guy we used to have as Head Coach. Young won't last 5 years if he keeps playing like he does.

b0ng
03-07-2008, 08:27 PM
A thread about Jevon Kearse turns into the never-ending pissing match regarding Vince Young on this board? No way..... I don't believe it.

Seriously Texans fans have one argument, Titans fans another, and neither ever change. It goes in circles and will never end.

Only one person comes in here to turn any thread about a Titan player into a ridiculous troll-o-rama.

Anyways, I always liked "The Freak" however, I think that this is just his swan song and will probably not make much of this season. I can see him being a rotational guy who could garner a few sacks (I'd say he tops out at 6 if he gets any this season).

However, all you fools that are falling for "Kearse is better than LaBoy" should be ashamed of yourselves. Don't you know trolling for rage when you see it?

Bulluck53
03-07-2008, 08:56 PM
To me, Kearse and LaBoy are one in the same... only Kearse is more athletically gifted. And I would have said that before we signed him.

LaBoy is a product of the system, thats it. He won't do much in Arizona and if he does he will be gone from injury very quickly. Odom is the big loss and even he can be replaced fairly easily.

b0ng
03-07-2008, 09:33 PM
To me, Kearse and LaBoy are one in the same... only Kearse is more athletically gifted. And I would have said that before we signed him.

LaBoy is a product of the system, thats it. He won't do much in Arizona and if he does he will be gone from injury very quickly. Odom is the big loss and even he can be replaced fairly easily.

I just don't understand how you can say Kearse is more athletically gifted than LaBoy when he hasn't contributed anything on the field in the last 2 years. It's almost like you're ignoring his time in Philly and are just concentrating on the years when was actually worth his weight on the defensive line.

LaBoy may not do very well in Arizona (Although I have never heard of a "system" DE before today. The lengths people go to defend their arguments), but that doesn't mean that Kearse will automatically be successful just because LaBoy might fail.

I don't see Javon Kearse starting any games, and I see him maybe lasting through the season if they use him very sparingly. I can't see how that would be an "upgrade"

Bulluck53
03-08-2008, 01:09 AM
Kearse being athletically gifted has nothing to do with his time spent in Philly. The guys nickname is The Freak for a reason. He's a freak athlete and can do things many others cannot.

"Product of the system" in this case is in reference to LaBoy's numbers inflating due to Haynesworth's and KVB's play. And I'm not defending anything, just stating my opinion.

Kearse will be used in the same role as LaBoy... a situational pass rusher.

Specnatz
03-08-2008, 01:47 AM
Kearse being athletically gifted has nothing to do with his time spent in Philly. The guys nickname is The Freak for a reason. He's a freak athlete and can do things many others cannot.

"Product of the system" in this case is in reference to LaBoy's numbers inflating due to Haynesworth's and KVB's play. And I'm not defending anything, just stating my opinion.

Kearse will be used in the same role as LaBoy... a situational pass rusher.

Bruce Jenner was a great athlete in his prime, he is no longer in his prime. So would you still call him a great athlete now?

Just because Kearse was once physicaly gifted does not mean he is still gifted or still a 'freak'.

:ouch: If he is going to be often injured you will not see much freakish athletism.

Bulluck53
03-08-2008, 02:27 AM
ok yall win

austintexanite
03-08-2008, 10:48 AM
I was suprised to hear Kearse go back to the Tacks, but I'm not worried. His play has really slowed the past couple of years and I just hope he doesn't get his sacks against us.

b0ng
03-08-2008, 11:39 AM
I was suprised to hear Kearse go back to the Tacks, but I'm not worried. His play has really slowed the past couple of years and I just hope he doesn't get his sacks against us.

I doubt we'll see multi-sack games coming from Kearse no matter how well the people around him are playing. I don't think Tennessee's defensive line is going to be as dominant next year due to LaBoy and Odom's departures.

Also, it not being a contract year for Haynesworth could hinder his play as well.

Maddict5
03-08-2008, 12:20 PM
I doubt we'll see multi-sack games coming from Kearse no matter how well the people around him are playing. I don't think Tennessee's defensive line is going to be as dominant next year due to LaBoy and Odom's departures.

Also, it not being a contract year for Haynesworth could hinder his play as well.

how'd you figure? 3 yr franchise tag?
:thinking: