PDA

View Full Version : Favre to Retire

Brando
03-04-2008, 09:27 AM
I heard on the radio this morning that Favre is going to retire per Jay Glazer. I don't have any link but that's what I am hearing.

He had a good season last year. Too bad the Pack couldn't get past the Giants.

edit: Found the link....

The most storied quarterback career in NFL history is coming to a close.

FOXSports.com has learned that legendary quarterback Brett Favre has decided to retire. In fact, it's believed he informed the Packers of his decision within the last few days, although it's unclear when Favre and the team will make his decision known.

foxsports (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7870944/Favre-has-decided-to-call-it-a-career)

Maddict5
03-04-2008, 09:44 AM
i heard aaron rogers is retiring too :)

HoustonFrog
03-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Man, I have a hard time thinking that with the talent they have and his season last year that he would want to go out with the last throw fresh in his mind.

rollinstone18
03-04-2008, 10:04 AM
It's a shame. Gun slingers are fun to watch and Favre epitomized the role.

Goldensilence
03-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Man, I have a hard time thinking that with the talent they have and his season last year thaty he would want to go out with the last throw fresh in his mind.

He was playing at a pretty high level too carrying the team at times. Wouldn't want my career to go out on that note either and you would think announcing fully to retire after this year that everyone would wantto send him out winning.

If this is true Brett the game won't ever be the same without ya.

HoustonFrog
03-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Official

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3276034

Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre has decided to retire.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported that according to Favre's agent, Buss Cook, Favre informed Packers coach Mike McCarthy of his decision Monday night.

Mortensen said in a phone message Favre left for him Tuesday morning, the longtime Packers starter said he felt worn down by the demands of the game, adding that he and his wife Deanna thought anything short of a Super Bowl title would be a disappointment and not worth the mental wear and tear.

hobie
03-04-2008, 10:44 AM
He's done it all, enjoy your life Mr. Favre with the family and we shall see you in Canton in 2012.

Hardcore Texan
03-04-2008, 10:45 AM
What's the over/under he changes his mind by Friday?

Specnatz
03-04-2008, 10:46 AM
I do not know but the league is worse off with this decision.

HOU-TEX
03-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Official

Personally, I think that last Playoff game whipped his ass. You could tell he was freezing his ass off and had no desire to be out there.

If he does retire, I'm going to miss the heck out of that guy. He played the game to have fun and win. His personality on the field will be sorely missed.

Having said that, I betcha he comes back. :)

Hardcore Texan
03-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Who cares, he wasn't even that good. :sarcasm:

Just kidding of course, I always enjoyed watching Brett play, I saw him live during that Sunday Night Game at Reliant, good times. I do think Aaron Rodgers will be ready and have a really good season.

badboy
03-04-2008, 11:01 AM
About damn time too. signed Kevin Kolb

austintexanite
03-04-2008, 11:02 AM
I heard about it this morning also. I was actually surprised he did retire, I figured he would come back after he was so close to the Super Bowl. Looks like Rodgers will finally show what he is worth, if only he could stay healthy.

Specnatz
03-04-2008, 11:06 AM
About damn time too. signed Kevin Kolb

With Kolb playing for Philly why would he even care?

HOU-TEX
03-04-2008, 11:11 AM
About damn time too. signed Aaron Rodgers

Fixed it for ya. :)

Mike Kerns
03-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Heard he was waiting to see if the team would bring in Randy Moss. Sad day. What a storied legacy he will leave behind.

stingray
03-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Great QB and a great personality to go with it.
I put only these QB's in front of him in terms of history in no particular order.

Montana
Elway
Marino
Unitas
Brady
Manning

Porky
03-04-2008, 11:43 AM
I loved watching that guy play. I hate to see him go.

alphajoker
03-04-2008, 12:05 PM
Farewell Favre, it's been fun watching you play. Rodgers...you have some big shoes to fill.

BSofA04
03-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Sad day for the NFL. Good news for the Texans when we play the Pack next year.

Mr. White
03-04-2008, 12:25 PM
I'll believe it when I see him wearing a suit on a pre-game show in September. Not a minute before.

It looks like there's already some sidestepping happening here. From PFT (http://beta.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/)

FAVRE SITUATION SUDDENLY GETS WEIRD
Posted by Mike Florio on March 4, 2008, 11:55 a.m.
As it turns out, that dark cloud in Wisconsin could quickly become a storm.

Brett Favre’s agent, Bus Cook, has told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that Favre wanted to play another year, but that he felt like the Packers didn’t want him.

Uh-oh.

“I know he wants to play one more year,” Cook said. “I do not know much conversation there was and I don’t think anyone forced him to make that decision. But I don’t know that anyone tried to talk him out of it.”

Uh-oh.

“I think he wanted to play,” Cook said. ” I think he’s still got it. He knows he’s still got it. I think he felt he could play one more year. I don’t know if they told him they really wanted him to play. That’s just the feeling I got.”

Uh-oh.

Asked whether Favre could be talked into returning, Cook said, “I don’t know.”

Well, maybe the media speculation that the guy who brought Favre to Green Bay, former G.M. Ron Wolf, might be whispering to Bill Parcells about trying to get Favre to Miami is more accurate than we initially thought. Because if Favre wants to play another year and if it’s not with the Packers, then maybe it will be elsewhere.

But if Favre doesn’t play for the Packers in 2008, either because he’s playing for someone else or not playing at all, we think that there could be an enormous backlash against the team. Specifically, G.M. Ted Thompson could find himself in the crosshairs of the fans’ criticism.

Never mind the fact that Thompson has done an excellent job; the perception that he ran off Brett Favre could be the quickest ticket out of town for Thompson.

If, in the end, Thompson gets saddled with the brunt of the blame for Favre’s departure, the pressure on Thompson to leave, too, will be tremendous. And, as a practical matter, it will put him on an incredibly short leash if the team falters in 2008.

He'll be somewhere else next year.

Mr. White
03-04-2008, 12:28 PM
BTW....Just went to the Packers page and it looks a whole lot like screenshots of that "dummy page" that went up last week.

Specnatz
03-04-2008, 12:28 PM
I thought he said Favre might want to play another year not wind up in a hospital for a year? If he goes to Miami that is exactly what he will be doing.

infantrycak
03-04-2008, 12:40 PM
I can imagine the Packers might not be so hot on having him back since his cap hit this year will be $13 mil. If they cut him or he retires, they have $3 mil in dead money.

HoustonFrog
03-04-2008, 01:01 PM
I'm not sure about the Packers wanting him bac thing. The soundbytes I have heard basically had him saying that he didn't want to play if he couldn't make the SB and win it. Anything else would be a failure. By that standard and with the league the way it is, it is probably a given he would go out not on top and he is fine with last year. He seems drained and you could tell that his body was ready to watch a game by a fire in that Giants game.

"I know I can still play, but it's like I told my wife, I'm just tired mentally. I'm just tired," Favre, a 17-year veteran and three-time NFL MVP, told ESPN's Chris Mortensen in a voice mail message.

"If I felt like coming back -- and Deanna [his wife] and I talked about this -- the only way for me to be successful would be to win a Super Bowl. To go to the Super Bowl and lose, would almost be worse than anything else. Anything less than a Super Bowl win would be unsuccessful," Favre said in the message

TexanSam
03-04-2008, 01:07 PM
I hope he doesn't go to another team. I hate it when star players in any sport leave the team they've been with forever to go play somewhere else for a few years (MJ, Hakeem). I'd like to see him leave with the team that he's been with since the beginning of his career (Atlanta doesn't count that much)

ubecool454
03-04-2008, 01:24 PM
Its about time he retired. I was really getting sick and tired of the treatment favre gets from the sports announcers. Who ever said he was the most storied QB of all time..lol. So we forget about the Bradshaws, Montanas, Griese, Aikmans and Staubachs to name a few. Favre was a good QB in my eyes but not a great one. I am glad he is going back to fishing and hunting, and hopefully not back to drinking and popping. Favre's greatest achievement to me was longevity.

ubecool454
03-04-2008, 01:25 PM
What's the over/under he changes his mind by Friday?

hardcore you must be a mind reader...lol

stiff
03-04-2008, 01:48 PM
I hate to see Favre retire, in the long run it will probably be better for the Packers franchise.

Even if you aren't a Packers fan you have to love the way he played the game. Some times he made bone headed moves and other times those moves paid off big. As a fan he was one of the greatest to watch not just for Packer fans but anyone that is an NFL fan.

Of his records / accomplishments what do you think will last the longest?

I do not think the consecutive start streak will be broken. The other one that stands out to me was the 3 Consecutive MVPs.

Errant Hothy
03-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Is Madden on suicide watch yet?

Too dark?

Chance_C
03-04-2008, 02:31 PM
Just kidding of course, I always enjoyed watching Brett play, I saw him live during that Sunday Night Game at Reliant, good times.

I was there also. Shoulda won that game....

Maddict5
03-04-2008, 02:32 PM

why would he be? now they get to spend more time together...hes delighted

http://i27.tinypic.com/2q3ydg6.jpg

ubecool454
03-04-2008, 03:18 PM
why would he be? now they get to spend more time together...hes delighted

http://i27.tinypic.com/2q3ydg6.jpg

Too Funny! LMAO

TexanSam
03-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Sage Rosenfels for the Packers first rounder!

MeLoveTexans
03-04-2008, 03:43 PM

Too dark?

Madden must have had the heads up on this one. Why else would he have spent all year developing a new man crush on Tony Homo..er Romo?? Prepare yourselves to hear things like, how the perfect football team would be comprised of 11 Romos playing both ways over the next 10 years

Hervoyel
03-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Sage Rosenfels for the Packers first rounder!

In a heartbeat. I wouldn't even hesitate.

GuerillaBlack
03-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Sad to see him go. Maybe a field in broadcasting? Sucks that his last pass in the NFL was an interception.

HOU-TEX
03-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Sad to see him go. Maybe a field in broadcasting? Sucks that his last pass in the NFL was an interception.

Well, it's sorta fitting since his first NFL completion was to HIMSELF. LOL! Man, I'm going to miss that guy.

I hope he does go into broadcasting. He's got the fun personality that is sorely missing among the talking heads. :cool:

texasguy346
03-04-2008, 04:24 PM
I loved watching that guy play. I hate to see him go.

Agreed. They should start on trying to clone him right away.

mexican_texan
03-04-2008, 04:34 PM
I'll believe it when the Packers start a different QB on Week 1.

WWJD
03-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Say it ain't so Brett! I hate to see him go....one of my all time favorite players.

Showtime100
03-07-2008, 11:07 AM
I'd think they would keep an eye on Kornheiser for suicidal behavior as well. I've seen him talk Brett Favre for an entire game and the Pack wasn't even playing.

WWJD
03-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Well I'm going to miss him. And so will the NFL. Irreplaceable.

Showtime100
03-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Well I'm going to miss him. And so will the NFL. Irreplaceable.

Indeed. Not many like him.

eriadoc
03-07-2008, 11:52 AM
So, who is the best QB in the NFC North now?

-Rodgers: hasn't done anything yet, which might be why he's the best, LOL

-Kitna: this guy gets my vote, I guess

-Jackson: ugh

Grossman: ....................

And, on a side note, Favre is the best thing to happen to Strahan's career. First, he laid down for Strahan's season-record sack, then for his final game, Favre sent Strahan to the Super Bowl! :splits:

BigBull17
03-07-2008, 12:28 PM
So, who is the best QB in the NFC North now?

-Rodgers: hasn't done anything yet, which might be why he's the best, LOL

-Kitna: this guy gets my vote, I guess

-Jackson: ugh

Grossman: ....................

And, on a side note, Favre is the best thing to happen to Strahan's career. First, he laid down for Strahan's season-record sack, then for his final game, Favre sent Strahan to the Super Bowl! :splits:

Id say none of the above. What an awful division for QB's...

Now, to get back on topic, I use to love Favre, until he began to hold GB hostage every year till after the draft. Then, a new front office comes in, ad they have to tip toe around him so they are not the ones who are responsable for making him go or trading him. Just my opinion.

TexansLucky13
03-07-2008, 12:44 PM
I miss him already...

:crying:

drewmar74
03-07-2008, 12:47 PM
I'm going to miss him for sure.

He was fun to watch but I'm glad we won't have to watch him do the "Dan Marino death spiral" where his body begins to fall apart.

WWJD
03-07-2008, 03:34 PM
I'm going to miss him for sure.

He was fun to watch but I'm glad we won't have to watch him do the "Dan Marino death spiral" where his body begins to fall apart.

So true...Brett said he could still play but it's the mental thing with him. I hope he can get a network job somewhere. He'd be great at that.

Bulluck53
03-07-2008, 08:39 PM
That was the worst day ever. Not because Favre retired but because there was absolutely nothing on TV except for grieving. It was ridiculous.