PDA

View Full Version : Finally some Compensatory Picks?!

dalemurphy
03-04-2008, 12:56 AM
Well, with guys like: Demps, CAnderson, Hutchins, Kalu, Dayne, FWeary all possibly leaving as free agents, we may actually have a shot to be awarded a couple extra picks. While I won't particularly miss any of these guys, they all were heavy contributors last season and may be weighted by the NFL in a manner that gets us a couple mid to late round picks.

Just thought I'd throw out that possibility.

barrett
03-04-2008, 02:39 AM
With Mr. Smith going to NY next month I'd welcome the extra picks. I'm not too concerned with our quiet Free Agency period. I'd love to give Rick a few more dice to roll.

I'd like to retain Charlie Anderson as a competing back up. I'm still not clear on how Demps went to Hawaii but I enjoyed watching him tackle. I say bring on the picks as well as any other low key free agents that "the wizard" (or rick smith as everyone likes to call him) can snag.

I'm loving this feeling that our F.O. is sitting back liking the chemistry of the unit we have in place and bringing in a bit here and there. Shows confidence to me. I'd love to see some C.B.'s brought in to compete with the drafted ones though.

Line_Producer
03-04-2008, 02:53 AM
I'd like to retain Charlie Anderson as a competing back up.

I'd love to retain him too, but he was snagged by the phins.

Wolf
03-04-2008, 03:00 AM
if the NFL had somewhat of a heart, they would give us compensatory picks for just having Casserly as GM for 5 years

:specnatz:

PapaL
03-04-2008, 05:44 AM
if the NFL had somewhat of a heart, they would give us compensatory picks for just having Casserly as GM for 5 years

:specnatz:

They did. He picked David Carr and Tony Boselli.

Maddict5
03-04-2008, 06:25 AM
what about guys like gaffney and robaire (wait he was cut? so we wont get anything there)... carr started some games in carolina :)

Lucky
03-04-2008, 06:42 AM
Well, with guys like: Demps, CAnderson, Hutchins, Kalu, Dayne, FWeary all possibly leaving as free agents, we may actually have a shot to be awarded a couple extra picks.
The Texans wouldn't get compensatory selections for these lost FAs until the '09 draft. Even then, their loss may be offset by the FAs the Texans sign.

Guys like Carr were released, not lost FAs. No compensation.

Maddict5
03-04-2008, 06:49 AM
The Texans wouldn't get compensatory selections for these lost FAs until the '09 draft. Even then, their loss may be offset by the FAs the Texans sign.
Guys like Carr were released, not lost FAs. No compensation.

thats not how it works right? i thought that if you lose a players who plays well elsewhere, you get a pick regardless of what his replacement/ other FA's we signed did

aj.
03-04-2008, 06:54 AM
thats not how it works right? i thought that if you lose a players who plays well elsewhere, you get a pick regardless of what his replacement/ other FA's we signed did

Read this: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2798269

It's losses - gains = comp picks.

And the way the league determines the magnitude of the losses and gains is the top secret formula.

Maddict5
03-04-2008, 07:00 AM
Read this: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2798269

And the way the league determines the magnitude of the losses and gains is the top secret formula.

thanks for the article but lets say for arguments sake that we dont resign Demps and he goes and plays great for some team next year. however brandon harrison starts for us and plays really well too. do we still get a comp pick next yr?

i would say yes in that situation

however if its the same situation as above except lets say jacques reeves also plays extremely well, then we wouldn't get a pick eventhough the FA's involved (demps and reeves) are in different positions (S v CB). is that correct?

aj.
03-04-2008, 08:23 AM
Brandon Harrison was drafted by the Texans.

The players considered in the compensation formula are FAs lost to other teams and FAs signed away from other teams.

Maddict5
03-04-2008, 08:30 AM
Brandon Harrison was drafted by the Texans.

The players considered in the compensation formula are FAs lost to other teams and FAs signed away from other teams.

last post i promise:

but positions dont matter? if you signed a FA WR who was highly productive for you and you had a FA LB who was signed by some1 else and was highly productive for them then that = no comp draft pick for you for your LB?

badboy
03-04-2008, 08:52 AM

And the way the league determines the magnitude of the losses and gains is the top secret formula.This is a top secret need to know formula and you have already given up way too much info. That knock on your door will be the FBI. No, wait. FBI is tied up with Roger Clements. Maybe we can have the Girl Scouts knock on your door. They are familiar with proprietary formulas and besides they are going to be in your area anyway (or at least their moms will be.)

infantrycak
03-04-2008, 08:55 AM
thanks for the article but lets say for arguments sake that we dont resign Demps and he goes and plays great for some team next year. however brandon harrison starts for us and plays really well too. do we still get a comp pick next yr?

i would say yes in that situation

Yes possibly. It is a total sum of losses or gains of FAs for a team. Harrison is irrelevant because he was a draft pick as aj mentioned.

however if its the same situation as above except lets say jacques reeves also plays extremely well, then we wouldn't get a pick eventhough the FA's involved (demps and reeves) are in different positions (S v CB). is that correct?

It isn't performance so much as it is contract. First they look for a net loss of free agents. Picks for net loss of FAs can be awarded in rounds 4 through 7. Even if there is no net loss in numbers but there is in significance, a team can be awarded picks in the 7th round. The loss of a DB who signs for $7 mil per year will be considered bigger than the gain of a WR who signs for $3 mil per year.

but positions dont matter? if you signed a FA WR who was highly productive for you and you had a FA LB who was signed by some1 else and was highly productive for them then that = no comp draft pick for you for your LB?

It is not position dependent. And the "production" is measured more by the FA contracts rather than on field production.

Errant Hothy
03-04-2008, 12:32 PM
There's a poster, AdamJT13, over at www.kffl.com's message board that is actually really good at projecting who's going to get compensatory picks.

Here's a link to his thread on this draft compensatory picks:
http://www.kffl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225685

The Texans will likely not be recieving any extra picks.

DiehardChris
03-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Whoa. That guy's insane. I hope someone somewhere is paying him to know stuff about football.

keyser
03-04-2008, 01:40 PM
AdamJT used to post regularly at the Cowboys' usenet group that I used to follow - his work on the compensatory picks (as well as on some other topics - e.g. salary cap stuff) is incredible I wrote a whole post about him earlier in this thread, but deleted it before submitting since I couldn't find where he was currently posting - thanks for giving the link!

ObsiWan
03-04-2008, 03:03 PM
what about guys like gaffney and robaire (wait he was cut? so we wont get anything there)... carr started some games in carolina :)

both gaffney and robaire smith were cut... in fact, Carr was released too.

BSofA04
03-04-2008, 03:49 PM
both gaffney and robaire smith were cut... in fact, Carr was released too.
Yeah, I remember Robaire being cut due to his work ethic and character concerns. They didn't want TJ to as well as the rest of the d-line to have the same attitude. Guy was a cancer in the locker room and was bringing the team down.

Insideop
03-04-2008, 07:31 PM
So, if Demps goes somewhere else for big money, then we could possibly get a compensatory pick in 2009 Draft, if our total FA losses are more than our FA gains. Right? :thinking:

dalemurphy
03-04-2008, 08:02 PM
So, if Demps goes somewhere else for big money, then we could possibly get a compensatory pick in 2009 Draft, if our total FA losses are more than our FA gains. Right? :thinking:

Hutchins, Demps, Weary, CAnderson could all have large enough contracts to qualify us. So far, we've only signed Reeves to a decent-sized contract.

aj.
03-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Adam JT has access to league records. It may not be direct access, but there's things that he's shared with me in the past - back when I did the cap page for hpf - that you can only get by reading player contracts. I only know this because I've managed to get my hands on a few player contracts myself and I'm familiar with some of the obscure things that elude or don't interest the average King or General and are never reported by the 'mainstream' sportswriters. It's good to have contacts. Ask Mike Florio.

Insideop
03-04-2008, 11:57 PM
Hutchins, Demps, Weary, CAnderson could all have large enough contracts to qualify us. So far, we've only signed Reeves to a decent-sized contract.

Well, scratch Demps. We just signed him to a 2 year deal according to another thread. I'm glad we resigned him, but I guess that means we won't be getting any/many compensatory picks. Maybe a 7th rounder if we're lucky!

dtran04
03-05-2008, 12:01 AM
The Texans always seem to replace their lost FA's. That's why they never get compensatory picks.

HOU-TEX
03-05-2008, 08:55 AM
The Texans always seem to replace their lost FA's. That's why they never get compensatory picks.

Or, it could be that most of our past FA's haven't really been worth a hill of beans to justify comp picks. :cool:

Specnatz
03-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Or, it could be that most of our past FA's haven't really been worth a hill of beans to justify comp picks. :cool:

This would pretty much sum it up I would think.

Shaft75
03-31-2008, 04:46 PM
Didn't get any...

I would love to see the math behind who gets what.

infantrycak
03-31-2008, 04:51 PM
Didn't get any...

I would love to see the math behind who gets what.

Just e-mail the guy that does it for the nfl.

http://bp2.blogger.com/_WUyCyzzdkGI/ReipbSqzdfI/AAAAAAAAAOg/1Mnraei_iAU/s400/computer_monkey.jpg

ObsiWan
03-31-2008, 05:36 PM

http://bp2.blogger.com/_WUyCyzzdkGI/ReipbSqzdfI/AAAAAAAAAOg/1Mnraei_iAU/s400/computer_monkey.jpg

No. That's not the guy. That's his manager.
;o)

awtysst
03-31-2008, 06:35 PM

That must be the new guy. The guy he replaced only used his trusty typewriter.

http://www.planet.nl/upload_mm/8/2/4/1998915409_1999998464_monkey_typewriter.jpg